Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Choosing a Health Insurance Plan from Exchange, Beginning Oct.1 (ObamaCare)

I'm one of the people who just tonight began looking at the health insurance programs offered to me in my state under the health insurance exchange program which is part of the very much needed ObamaCare program.

I'd like for this thread to be a place where we can all talk about what we need, how we figure out how to get it, and what we should look for in a private health insurance program.

I encourage all people with a previously diagnosed illness, HIV+, diabetic and more to participate. We can help each other. I spent only one hour and I found my best plan, it isn't that hard to do. Let's help each other figure this out before November 15.

Kisses.

by Anonymousreply 47301/22/2014

Can the healthy among us participate?

We are the ones you need to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 109/25/2013

Tax payers are paying for it. Do you pay taxes? You're paying for it.

by Anonymousreply 309/25/2013

But WHERE, r9? Will there be a website?

And why hasn't this been advertised so people know where to go? Generally the government advertises the fuck out of any new change but I haven't heard jack about this.

by Anonymousreply 1109/25/2013

R11 there will be a website at healthcare.gov . It doesn't have the actual costs on it yet (I just checked)

Seems a bit strange that prices aren't even listed yet considering it is supposed to kick in on October 1st.

by Anonymousreply 1209/25/2013

[quote]States that have already opened the market place have seen lower than expected costs

When will the other states open up in the marketplace? I just checked mine (PA) and they haven't opened yet. So, no prices are listed.

by Anonymousreply 1309/25/2013

[quote]A fair trade-off considering those illegal immigrants who get paid almost nothing for cutting my lawn, picking my vegetables, repairing my homes, etc, need to remain healthy.

What a nice coincidence! I was just looking for an example of a strawman argument for an unrelated editorial I'm writing, and then R8 piped in.

Thank you, R8. Kisses!

by Anonymousreply 2109/25/2013

r20, only $3000 a month.

Consider yourself lucky. Many people have to get by on much less than that.

by Anonymousreply 2409/25/2013

I suppose it's all relative to where you live, R24. In Northern California, where I live, $3,000 is nothing. Also, since it's indie contractor, about a third of it goes towards taxes so I'm getting by on $2,000.

My point (which you seemed to have missed) is that I cannot afford a decent insurance plan that would benefit me even with the subsidies. Basically, I'm going to be paying almost $200 a month and not get coverage that's any better than what I"m getting through the local clinic.

by Anonymousreply 2609/25/2013

I can't find the actual prices and plans for New York.

by Anonymousreply 2709/25/2013

Shocked at the lack of informtion available. The administrations a true health czar to get the word out. I don't even know who the Surgeon General is

by Anonymousreply 2909/25/2013

My current coverage through my employer costs $144/month for my husband and me. The equivalent coverage under Obamacare is $760/month.

by Anonymousreply 3109/25/2013

I am a firm believer in healthcare reform and really want this to work - and work well even if it IS just a step in a longer term process. I have health insurance through my employer and consider myself fortunate in that regard. That said, I was a little surprised at the costs considering that most of the people in the exchanges will be lower income persons.

by Anonymousreply 3509/25/2013

My premiums and out-of-pocket expenses are going to be cut in half under the ACA, and I'll be getting much better benefits and full prescription drug coverage. I'm thrilled to say the least.

Make sure you check a plan's provider network before you buy because the NYT is reporting that many insurers are significantly limiting the choices of doctors and hospitals available to consumers.

Even though insurers will be forbidden to discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions, they could subtly discourage the enrollment of sicker patients by limiting the size of their provider networks.

“If a health plan has a narrow network that excludes many doctors, that may shoo away patients with expensive pre-existing conditions who have established relationships with doctors,” said Mark E. Rust, the chairman of the national health care practice at Barnes & Thornburg, a law firm. “Some insurers do not want those patients who, for medical reasons, require a broad network of providers.”

by Anonymousreply 3709/25/2013

R38, you have no idea how medical billing works, do you?

Whatever the doctor/hospital charges doesn't matter. The insurance company ALREADY has a set price for each service. The doctor doesn't get to tell the insurance company what they are going to have to pay, it's the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 3909/25/2013

According to my research for myself, I am being forced to be on MedicAid. That doesn't sit right with me. At all.

by Anonymousreply 4709/25/2013

So you buy the less expensive plan and still owe 25 to 30% of the medical costs out of pocket. Unless you buy the most expensive plan that pays 90% of the cost you are still screwed.

Who can afford paying 25% of a major illness.

by Anonymousreply 4809/25/2013

Anyone on PCIP here? Have you gotten any materials yet about having to switch to the exchange?

by Anonymousreply 4909/25/2013

Monthly premiums are not the end all costs. When you use the healthcare service then you will get the bill for the service and have to pay what the insurance does not in addition to the monthly premiums. Buyer beware! Just because you purchase insurance does not mean you get affordable care.

by Anonymousreply 5009/25/2013

I don't want to be Debbie Downer - I do not believe anyone out there really knew what we were in for until they saw the $$$ attached. I really want the affordable care act to be successful. Unfortunately, the existing insurance structure was already broken. Even the BEST plans are increasingly requiring higher deductibles and greater percentages of costs falling back to consumer. Single payer and universal health care are really the only thing that is going to fix this mess. There are just too many mouths to feed with this entirely private set-up.

by Anonymousreply 5109/25/2013

The best for me so far is Blue Cross at $400 per month with $2,000 deductible but 100% of hospitalization, which is the key. Of course I'm old.

I can't afford it though, but if I want $180 a month I have to have a $10,000 deductible which is the same as having no insurance.

I sure hope these prices come down as the program proceeds.

by Anonymousreply 5409/25/2013

R54. I hope the prices come down also but after the first year and the insurance companies figure out what the costs are I am afraid they are going to go UP, UP, UP.

by Anonymousreply 5509/25/2013

r54 these prices will not come down, period. They will only increase. Yes a single person will have to pay $400- $600 per month avg, but more than one will have to pay $1000 per month.

by Anonymousreply 5709/25/2013

How are dr visits "reasonable" when I'm paying $30 now, set to go up to $45 per visit under Obamacare/ACA/Health "Exchange"? Or that our health care insurance is skyrocketing from $344 per month to $1000 per month?

What fucking drugs are on?

by Anonymousreply 5809/25/2013

R56 Just hope you do not get sick in December and are still in the hospital into January. Then you would owe another $6,000. So your little illness now is a $12,000 expense.

Just saying.....

by Anonymousreply 5909/25/2013

damn

by Anonymousreply 6409/25/2013

R65, agreed that disallowing the insurance companies the power to refuse coverage was a monumental victory with Obamacare. It's imperative to protect people who get chronic or potentially terminal diseases.

My problem with what I'm seeing is that it's still really expensive to get a DECENT plan so people who have avoided insurance simply because they cannot afford it, still cannot afford good coverage. The will be paying a few hundred dollars for crappy coverage simply because they have to.

Reformed healthcare needs more reforming so that it's not a burden to people who are struggling.

by Anonymousreply 6709/25/2013

I work for a PBM of a major health insurer. January 1st the covered and not covered drugs are going to require major Prior authorization before they get approved and paid. Say your MD gives you a Rx for something like Prilosec or the generic. Unless there is proof you need it for an approved use it is going to be denied. Yes, you might get coverage but the devil is in the details.

We have 400 people in prior authorization training right now and that is just to start.

by Anonymousreply 6809/25/2013

Then you're the one ripping them off, R8. The ones I've had working on my house I pay the same as I'd pay anyone doing the same work.

by Anonymousreply 6909/25/2013

I will be 64 in November. Currently, through my former employer, I'm paying $617/month to Capital Blue Cross of PA.

If I can get even 11 months pre-Medicare at $400 per, I'll be thrilled!

by Anonymousreply 7009/25/2013

Frightening, R68!

by Anonymousreply 7109/25/2013

"people who have a low income will receive financial assistance thru Obamacare making their monthly premium quite low."

So they have a low monthly premium.....How are they going to afford the deductibles or pay the maximum of $6,000 out of pocket if they get sick?

by Anonymousreply 7309/25/2013

I agree, R73. People with little or no income will continue to qualify for medicaid and receive their health benefits there. People who are working jobs that pay minimum wage simply cannot afford even a low monthly premium when it comes down to having food on the table and a roof over their heads. I suspect that many of us here are fortunate and have decent paying jobs. Tax credits and financial assistance are great, but when there is already not enough money every week or month...

by Anonymousreply 7409/25/2013

Wrong r 75, I've already checked coveredcalifornia and that IS the price. Check your state, or check covered california now. I put 2 people down. Be in for the SHOCK of your life.

I have all the details here btw

2 people

Key benefitsBronze 60Silver 70 (Lower Cost Sharing Available on Sliding Scale) Gold 80Platinum 90 Benefits in Blue are Subject to Deductibles Copays in Black are Not Subject to any Deductible and Count Toward the Annual Out-of-Pocket Maximum Deductible $5000deductible for medical & drugs$2000medical deductibleno deductibleno deductible Preventative Care Copay1no costat least 1 yearly visitno costat least 1 yearly visitno costat least 1 yearly visitno costat least 1 yearly visit Primary Care Visit Copay$603 visits per year$45 $30 $20 Specialty Care Visit Copay$70 $65 $50 $40 Urgent Care Visit Copay$120 $60 $90 $40 General Medication Copay$19 $19 $19 $5 Lab Testing Copay 30% $45 $30 $20 X-Ray Copay 30% $65 $50 $40 Emergency Room Copay$300 $250 $250 $150 High cost and infrequent services (e.g. Hospital Care and Outpatient Surgery)30%of your plan’s negotiated rate 20%of your plan’s negotiated rate HMO Outpatient Surgery - $600 Hospital - $600/day up to 5 days PPO - 20%HMO Outpatient Surgery - $250 Hospital - $250/day up to 5 days PPO - 10% Imaging (MRI, CT, PET Scans) 30% $250 $250 $150 Preferred brand copay after Drug Deductible (if any)$50 $50 $50 $15 Maximum Out-of-Pocket For One$6,350 $6,350 $6,350 $4,000 Maximum Out-of-Pocket For Family$12,700 $12,700 $12,700 $8,000

by Anonymousreply 7709/25/2013

PLANS: BRONZE 60

$697 for HMO for Western Health Advantage - Sonoma County only HMO - high deductibles, high physician visits

$702 - ANTHEM - PPO, high ded, high visits

$707 - ANTHEM w/ HSA - PPO, high ded, high visits

$720 - Western Health w/ HSA - HMO, high ded, high visits

SILVER 70

BSOC - EPO - $927 (EPO means you have to go IN NETWORK ONLY but you don't need referrals)

Anthem - PPO $939

Kaiser HMO - $1000

Western Health HMO $1012

by Anonymousreply 7809/25/2013

After reading through this thread, all I can say is thank God I live in Canada. I mean, seriously, you PAY for a visit to the doctor?

by Anonymousreply 8109/25/2013

Well, and further r79 since it's just you and I going back and forth in the thread, the House has voted not to fund the people that will need the subsidies, right?

by Anonymousreply 8209/25/2013

Yes, R81. We PAY to see the Doctor after we have paid our insurance premiums. Consider yourself lucky in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 8309/25/2013

What do you people complaining about the "high" $6000 limit imagine happen to those people now? They lose everything.

by Anonymousreply 8509/25/2013

If 100 million more people join the premiums will go down

by Anonymousreply 8609/25/2013

I'm on a high deductible now, 5000, but there are a lot of pre existing clauses.

by Anonymousreply 8709/25/2013

r68, that is nothing new. I have great insurance and need prior auths every three months for two prescriptions.

by Anonymousreply 8809/25/2013

R72, I know I can get insurance for "quite low" but my point is that the plan is not good.

I have not had insurance in the last few years so I've been taking advantage of the fact that I live in liberal California where I can go to a decent clinic locally and see a doctor and pay $70 (it was more before I got laid off). Through this clinic, every time I need to get my blood checked, it's very reduced. Also, any health care related to the female reproductive system (papsmears, mammograms, gyno exams) are fully covered. The clinic is quite nice, too. This is all with NO insurance. The only medication I currently take is $4/month (or $10/3 months at Walmart). I take really good care of myself. Eat very health, exercise regularly, don't smoke or do drugs.

With the lowest level of Obama care which is almost $200/month, my doctor visits are the same as the clinic and it's cheaper to continue to get my meds at Walmart. So, basically, I'm forced to pay almost $200 a month into something that doesn't put me in a better place than I'm in now unless I get catastrophically sick (which is a possibility but then again, I take really good care of myself).

The next plan up is better....cheaper doctors visits and labs, at least but it ranges from $285 to $359 which I, unfortunately, cannot afford right now. I am making very little for where I live (the SF Bay area) and I took a job because I need it but it's for a startup who gave me great stock options so if the company does well, I do too but my current monthly pay sucks.

So, my point is that there are some great things related to the AHC and some not so great things....like the fact that I will now be paying almost $200/month (which is a lot for me) and will not be any better off than I was before this went into effect.

I'm an Obama supporter and I am a firm believer in healthcare reform as I took care of my mom in the last year and a half of her life when she was battling cancer and had only her flimsy social security check and her very poor medicare plan which didn't cover a lot of what she needed. I just think the reform needs reforming if what I'm seeing on CoveredCA is accurate.

by Anonymousreply 8909/25/2013

Any idea what the tax credit is for us low income folks? It's a tax credit right?

Oh and i believe people have until March to buy insurance before the penalty so there's no rush.

by Anonymousreply 9309/25/2013

r77 r78 has the details for California for 2 people, obviously for people that are not low wage people like r89. Anyone that is middle class is going to pay through the nose.

Are people here not paying attention to the news articles that people with families are getting the $1k bills when they used to pay $300? That is what is going on.

r89 go look at the coveredcalifornia link and for your estimate.

by Anonymousreply 9609/25/2013

R96, YOU ARE R77 and R78, so stop acting as if you are not. Your posts are all yellow.

Stop acting as if California's situation, rules, and regs will be happening in other states.

by Anonymousreply 9809/25/2013

[quote][R89] go look at the coveredcalifornia link and for your estimate.

Where do you think I'm getting my information?? I was super excited about Obamacare until I entered my info on the coveredca link and read the estimates. I entered my phone number for someone to contact me so I hopefully it's not as bad as it looks.

As I said, I'm all for healthcare reform. I just was expecting it to put me in a better situation than I've been in for the last few years (basically since I made enough money where I could afford insurance which was in 2005)

by Anonymousreply 10009/25/2013

Yes, r99 I said the $1000 rate is for 2 people, not one. I said it twice. So?

by Anonymousreply 10309/26/2013

Kentucky family paid in the $300 range for a family with 2 boys, now will be paying $1000 a month

by Anonymousreply 10409/26/2013

Remember, it was the fact that healthcare costs got so out of control that started all of this in the first place.

The insurance companies were basically scams, and the entire healthcare racket was becoming obscene.

The time to complain about this has passed. We've had since Truman to work out he details of a decent health care plan for this country.

by Anonymousreply 10809/26/2013

R108, this is the first step toward nationalized health care. The more I look into it and the more I read about the specifics they put in for employers and the restrictions they've put on insurers, the more convinced I am that the end game is universal insurance for everyone.

Right now, they are getting the employers out of the mix while setting up a centralized framework that will work almost identically to Medicare, except they had to leave the insurance companies in the mix...for now.

One of the only things I haven't found a definitive answer to is whether you can buy from the exchanges with a subsidy if you would otherwise be eligible for Medicaid. I really don't want to go onto Medicaid but I think my income might put me into it. Anyone able find that answer?

by Anonymousreply 10909/26/2013

If they're going to continue to allow insurance companies to suck at this teat, what they need to do for Obamacare to actually work is to cap premiums. For everyone, not just poor people who are subsidized. Significantly. There's no reason for anyone to be paying more than $200 a month for coverage that is at least 90% if not full coverage, no deductible.

If premiums are capped, insurers will cut the payment rates for providers, and costs will be managed. You don't manage costs unless this happens, no matter how afraid everyone is of pissing off the AMA. This produces the same effect as single payer.

The best way to manage the doctors who will be pissed at the income reduction this will cause is to nationalize med mal insurance and offer very low premiums to doctors that represent doctors' actual risk of med mal suits, not the bullshit numbers the insurance companies use to scare them.

FYI the ACA offered plans in my state offer shitty coverage for about 50% more than I'm paying now. The only apparent reason to switch will be to see if some of the details of the benefits are a better deal than what I currently have. Right now all signs point to no.

by Anonymousreply 11009/26/2013

R107/109

My guess is no, but that's not definitive. In CA they are rolling everyone under 15k a year into medi-cal, but taking away the indigent property requirement. If you still want to buy a plan, you can, but you will not be subsidized since a subsidized plan is already being made available to you.

by Anonymousreply 11109/26/2013

R109, the Affordable Care Act (which is nicknamed Obamacare) is not taking insurance companies out of the mix as you suggest.

All employers with 50 or more employees will be required to provide health insurance to their employees.

It's just that part of the Affordable Care Act has been postponed until 2015.

And all people who are employed in the U.S. will continue to receive health insurance thru their employers who provide it.

by Anonymousreply 11209/26/2013

sorry, R109, I meant to say the ACA is not taking employers out of the mix as you suggest

by Anonymousreply 11309/26/2013

Ms. Northern California (it'd be difficult to list all your posting numbers), you're well inside the poverty level and can receive either Medi-Cal or choose a plan with subsidy. I make a third of what you do, in the same geographic area, and I'm not in the least bit concerned about it.

by Anonymousreply 11409/26/2013

indeed

by Anonymousreply 11509/26/2013

I live in Los Angeles and have coverage through my employer. I'm thinking of leaving and working for myself. I checked to see what I'd pay if I had to buy my own insurance using my current income. It came out to roughly $250 a month. A single person having to pay more out of pocket than a family with a dozen kids is plain wrong.

by Anonymousreply 11609/26/2013

R116, Not surprised...no one cares about the contributions single people make to this country. If your not procreating too bad for you...

by Anonymousreply 11709/26/2013

R107, I asked someone who I know that works for an insurance company. The prices in most states will not be listed until October 1st.

Unfortunately I don't qualify for any subsidies. I currently pay around 1000 per month (I use to pay around 300, but it was raised significantly over the past few years because I had some health issues). I am a single payer (self employed no group).

I checked the plans, and sorry to say but they are crap plans. A 6000 deductible? No thank you. I only hope that the Gold plan is a little less than what I pay now. Because I assume that would be equivalent to the coverage I have now.

I was really excited for this, but it looks like I won't be saving much if anything at all.

And for everyone saying that they will stay on their employers plan, which is cheaper - guess what, those rates will go up too.

by Anonymousreply 11809/26/2013

R118, the $6000 that was mentioned wasn't the deductible.

The $6000 was the top limit of what an insurance policy will cover meaning you have to pay anything over $6000.

by Anonymousreply 12009/26/2013

[quote]you have to pay anything over $6000.

That is even worse, if it is true. I would hope that figure is per occurrence/claim. Because if it's a rolling figure (6000 per year) 6000 barely covers the cost of an MRI these days.

Furthermore, you're basically screwed if you have to spend the night in a hospital. Which can run upwards of 25K per diem or more.

by Anonymousreply 12109/26/2013

MRI's cost $1000, not $6000.

A night in a hospital does NOT cost $25,000.

whacko

by Anonymousreply 12309/26/2013

r123, I was quoted $3000 for an MRI. I have to pay $5000 annually out of pocket with my current plan. I couldn't afford to do it.

by Anonymousreply 12909/26/2013

Here is a helpful link from Blue Cross from the state of Louisiana which explains a lot. You can call them from the phone listed for at the top for your particular state Blue Cross site and begin to learn about the program.

by Anonymousreply 13509/26/2013

Americans are paying, so that the people in Israel can have universal healthcare and what have we got? And since Republicans refuse to allow the IRS to tax the wealthy...we get fucked with no lube.

by Anonymousreply 13609/26/2013

R25 asks:

If my employer offers insurance, can I get Obamacare instead if it is cheaper? Is there dental offered as well?

A) Ask your human resource manager about this. But yes, several of the private insurance programs I've looked at in my state offer dental and vision plans as an extra. The dental is good, too, standard looking insurance.

by Anonymousreply 13809/26/2013

People don't NOT have health insurance because they don't want it. They don't have it because they can't afford it - no matter how "cheap" it is. Making it MANDATORY is not the answer.

The Indianapolis Star reported this morning that the payment for a plan for a 27 year old single person making $10,000 AFTER subsidies would be $75 per month. Where is someone making a pittance like that going to find $75 a month? It just isn't there.

For them, it comes out of rent money, or car insurance, or food....it comes from necessity. And if they don't get a policy, it comes from their Federal Income Tax refund for the 2014 in the form of a penalty of $95 or 1% of their income, which ever is greater.

This "law" will make criminals of millions of people who just can't afford it. If the government is not going to GIVE them healthcare at no cost, don't call it a Plan or an answer to the problems.

IT IS THE PROBLEM. Healthcare for profit and insurance companies have the biggest lobby cartel in D.C. and now we see that it is working.

SAD.

by Anonymousreply 14109/26/2013

R93 Says:

Any idea what the tax credit is for us low income folks? It's a tax credit right?

Oh and i believe people have until March to buy insurance before the penalty so there's no rush.

A) NO! NO! NO! Open enrollement ends on a preset date and in my state that is January 1, 2014

by Anonymousreply 14609/26/2013

That's great, R145 - except that Indiana doesn't have Medicaid...they opted out of the program.

by Anonymousreply 14709/26/2013

R127 asks:

So someone on here is saying that their policy caps at $6,000? Actually, caps are being removed so unless you have a link, I think you are mistaken.

A) No, YOU are mistaken R127. There are max out-of-pocket yearly caps and they vary. $6,000/year is the max on a shitty policy. Others have far lower yearly caps.

by Anonymousreply 14909/26/2013

[quote]A) Yes. So get a policy with a lower hospital stay coinsurance (mine will have 0% hospital stay coinsurance if in a network hospital).

Of course, that's the answer I've been looking for! Spend more money and get better coverage (well, duh..) Actually the more info I am getting about Obamacare, the more decided I am in keeping the plan I have and not venturing into the exchanges. Fortunately, at this time I can afford to do so, but if costs rise even more with the plan I have (which they may?) I may not be able to do so.

But what about the middle class (someone who makes 40K a year who has your average expenses - student loans, car payments, rent and isn't covered by his employer? And I'm not even talking about a family of 4 - just your average guy. Ahh, the solution for him is to spend more for more coverage right? Problem is - he probably can't afford to do so. So although he won't be eligible for government subsidies, he is eligible to spend less a month on a "crappy plan" - he just better cross his fingers that he doesn't actually HAVE to go to a doctor!

[quote]No, YOU are mistaken R127. There are max out-of-pocket yearly caps and they vary. $6,000/year is the max on a shitty policy. Others have far lower yearly caps.

You're right about that - a real shitty plan. Sad to say though most middle class will end up with shitty health insurance coverage - because that is all they will be able to afford.

[quote]My income level qualifies me for an existing Copayment and Deductible Assistance Program (CDAP), which means an agency pays for all my copayments (drugs, physician, lab tests, EXCLUDING HOSPITAL VISITS AND IN HOSPITAL SURGERY).So, since I don't have those copayments, I'm looking for a policy that has the lowest possible copayment IF I GET ADMITTED TO A HOSPITAL.I found Blue Cross HMO POS Plan 5. Complete drug coverage, $1,000 deductible& $500 deductible on drugs& $35 office visits (but I don't pay that due to my CDAP program anyway), and 0% coinsurance if I go into Hospital which is a lot better than the 10% and 20% hospital coinsurance I've seen. Additional dental and vision can be added for more money. See how it works? I'll choose this plan. $612/month BEFORE my federal/ subsidies kick in. In the past, my state subsidies paid my entire health insurance premium.

It's really easy for you to tell others to just "pick another plan" because your costs are being, and have been subsidized in one way or another. Whether an agency picking up your copays or your state subsidies.

I am happy for you that you have been able to get the coverage you need, without it costing you much at all, because your income doesn't allow for the exuberant costs involved. That is what Obamacare is for.

But please don't discount the other folks where just "picking a different plan" will not be an option due to the costs involved.

by Anonymousreply 15109/26/2013

[quote]If you already have insurance you don't even need to be concerned about this.

I have insurance, but I am single payer with pre existing conditions. So I do need to be concerned. Hell, EVERYONE should be concerned about this. This will be effecting everyone who has (or doesn't yet have) health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 15309/26/2013

So any kids we see in pap pix will be there because their parents phoned them, as we've been saying ALL ALONG. The Bratty Brangelina crew esp the parents are doing this to them.

by Anonymousreply 15609/26/2013

It's funny (yet typicalDL fashion) that when someone shows disagreement or actually discusses "the other side" of Obamacare - you know ... like what things may cost for those not getting subsidies - want to "Hush" them up. And tell them to "not be so concerned"

God forbid you discuss both sides of the coin here.

You're acting just as bad as republicans.

by Anonymousreply 15709/26/2013

You CAN'T keep the plan you have if you got it after 2010. Plus the plan you have now will have different things about it, higher deductibles, lower coverage, higher doctor visit fees, higher fees, period.

Trust me, they are herding us all into this. The insurance company, specifically Wellpoint which is the one that owns Blue Cross and Blue Shield are loving this. Huge fee hikes + kickback from the gov't?

Has anyone checked Wellpoint's stock of late? Ok I just did, it's over $84 a share and going up, what does that tell you?

by Anonymousreply 15909/26/2013

r161 info here about "grandfathered" health ins plans which mean before March 10, 2010.

Government website.

FWIW, my current plan was done after that date because the prices and deductions went up enormously on the previous plan, so we had to switch.

As I said before Wellpoint is totally behind this Obamacare bs. They're pleased as punch and their stock is skyrocketing.

And they already emailed me, after I inquired, that they will be putting us on the next plan, that most closely allies to the plan we're on at $344 per month. As I said, I checked Covered California, and the plans at the low end are $760 per month - see my other post on this thread to $1000+ per month.

And yes this is for 2 people. Oh and something else I just read today. If you are partnered and co-habitating, the gov't is going to force you to be on a 2 plan, higher price plan. And they are going to hire investigators (!!) to find this out, ie, come to your house. Lovely.

So if you think you can get away with just paying your nice lower price for one, forget it. Co-habitation will mean you're on the $1000 plan.

by Anonymousreply 16209/26/2013

Um, R162?

[quote] Grandfathered plans are those that were in existence on March 23, 2010 and have stayed basically the same. But they can enroll people after that date and still maintain their grandfathered status.

by Anonymousreply 16409/26/2013

Yes before 2010 as I said but those plans will change on Jan 1, 2014 and if your plan is after Mar 2010 then you will be forced to get a new one.

by Anonymousreply 16509/26/2013

My company isn't changing any of our plans, R166. They cover far more than the ACA requires.

by Anonymousreply 16809/26/2013

I retired last year at the age of 62 after the facility that I worked for closed due to the real estate land grab in Manhattan. I draw a decent pension and am now eligible for a couple of hundred dollars more every month from another pension. I do not have health insurance but I do have a no co-pay drug plan and reimbursement for eye glasses through the union. I won't need a plan that includes drugs so I am hoping for a low rate for hospitialization, x-rays, lab and Dr. visits. The silver plan for New York State sounds good for me. With a government subsidy I might pay 125 or less a month. That is doable for me and I am relieved that I will have some form of health care. Right now I put off going to the Dr. and luckily have enough medical know how to deal with the minor aliments that have plagued me since retiring. To me it's a travesty that having worked in health care for forty years I do not have health insurance because I just can't afford the private rates or Cobra on my income. I'm putting off drawing SS for as long as I can because I will need that added income a lot more at 66 than I do now at 63.

by Anonymousreply 17109/26/2013

I'm currently making about $9,000 a year. What will my premiums be on Obamacare?

by Anonymousreply 17209/26/2013

r143, your tool informed me that:

[quote] You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to: $0 (which covers 0% of the overall premium)

[quote] For example, you could enroll in a Bronze plan for about $2,417 per year (which is 4833.82% of your household income).

How is this supposed to be helping? My state is not making its own plan. So, this is the federal plan. I am not eligible for disability or medicare or medicaid although I am functionally disabled by a chronic illness and have been unable to work for 3.5 years. I make about $50 a year in savings account interest.

by Anonymousreply 17509/26/2013

I am currently ineligible for insurance because of my illness and have had to go through a half dozen doctors just to find someone even interested in making the effort to treat me.

by Anonymousreply 17709/26/2013

[quote]How is this supposed to be helping? My state is not making its own plan. So, this is the federal plan. I am not eligible for disability or medicare or medicaid although I am functionally disabled by a chronic illness and have been unable to work for 3.5 years. I make about $50 a year in savings account interest.

Curious - how do you afford a computer and internet access?

by Anonymousreply 17809/26/2013

How much do you have in savings that you are making $50/year in interest, R175? I make pennies each month on bank account interest.

by Anonymousreply 17909/26/2013

My parents have been helping me.

All together, I have about 35k in the bank. But I'm 32 years old and if I don't get well which is seeming less and less likely as more time passes that's somehow going to have to last for the rest of my life. My parents are 73 (mother) and 69 (father) and none of my grandparents have lived past 76.

by Anonymousreply 18009/26/2013

R175, why do you not qualify for Medicaid?

Because you have $35,000 in the bank I would imagine.

Do you live with your parents?

Both the bank account and living with your parents would disqualify you for Medicaid.

What is your illness?

by Anonymousreply 18109/26/2013

You could move into a small apartment, R182. You definitely would not need to move to a homeless shelter to get Medicaid.

Since you have a free house given to you by your mother and $35,000 in the bank, you do not deserve Medicaid.

You are a candidate for financial assistance thru Obamacare to pay your premium under Obamacare though.

by Anonymousreply 18309/26/2013

R191, I agree with what you say.

But Obama cannot raise the minimum wage on his own.

Someone in Congress has to put forth a bill, and then that bill has to pass the House of Representatives which has a Republican majority, and the Senate which barely has a Democratic majority.

The Republican dominated House of Representatives would not pass a radically higher minimum wage bill.

Obama's White House staff could write a piece of legislation raising the minimum wage and give it to a Democratic congressman to introduce, but a radically higher or even a decent minimum wage would not pass in the Republican dominated House of Representatives.

by Anonymousreply 19209/28/2013

R175, I am sorry to gear about your situation. It sounds terrible.

If you are disabled, you qualify for social security disability income. Have you applied? It can take a couple years to go through the process, and there us no guarantee you'll get it, but if you do, it can be very helpful. You have to be persistent, though, and appeal if you are denied. Then keep appealing until you are approved, or get better, or die.

Regrettably, if you are disabled, you are going to face a lifetime of financial challenges on top of your physical ones. You will benefit by accepting that you may need to manage your finances and living situation in a way that is acceptable to the various organizations that might offer you assistance.

by Anonymousreply 19409/28/2013

What's the big deal over this? If you are wealthy you get great coverage and if you aren't you get screwed. Good luck finding all those great Medicaid doctors! Think you had a hard time before finding a doctor, just wait.

Did anyone take into account that most of the jobs "gained" in this country are part-time jobs? I am just at the cut off for Medicaid. Now my choice is getting fined and not having insurance or getting fined and not having insurance. Again, it's only those who were doing fine to begin with who will be best served.

This plan was a failure once Obama caved to the insurance lobby.

by Anonymousreply 20009/28/2013

Are those prices quoted including the subsidy ? Anyone making more than 44,000 as a single person most likely has coverage through their employer.

by Anonymousreply 20109/28/2013

i'm so confused, i don't have insurance right now. i'm in ny, is there a website where i can find info for my state?

by Anonymousreply 20409/28/2013

R208, ever hear of having an unexpected accident like a car crash, a broken leg, falling down a flight of stairs, being hit by a car, etc.

A person doesn't just get sick in life, unexpected accidents happen too and a person without insurance cannot suddenly get insurance to cover costs of an unexpected accident.

by Anonymousreply 21009/28/2013

[quote]If your healthy, it's cheaper to not get any insurance and just pay the fine. If you get sick, then you can buy some insurance, since they can't turn you down

Wrong! Open enrollment is only between Oct. 1 thru March 31. If you get sick in April-Sep., you're shit out of luck. If you need your appendix removed in May, for example, expect a $30,000 hospital bill. How you gonna pay that without insurance, sweetie?

by Anonymousreply 21109/28/2013

I don't understand why ANYONE who could afford health insurance would choose not to enroll. Do these dimwits not have car insurance?

R212 I don't believe that insurance will be retroactive if one has an accident while not insured. subsequent treatment may be, but not the cost of emergency treatment at the time.

by Anonymousreply 21309/28/2013

R212, did you read R211?

R212, insurance does not cover an accident AFTER the fact....in other words, after the accident has happened.

by Anonymousreply 21409/28/2013

"An accident is the same as a pre-existing condition. "

Ahhhh, so you just don't understand the meaning of the words you type.

You also have no clue how the enrollment process will work--google "anti-selection and insurance" & you'll potentially understand why the regs established an open enrollment period with limited opportunity to purchase after the open enrollment period ends.

by Anonymousreply 21609/28/2013

R217 this is my last attempt.

Yes, one may apply in January with a tumor or two broken legs. The insurance will not be retroactive for bills incurred before enrollment.

by Anonymousreply 21809/28/2013

ok, so u enroll on oct 1 and it's effective immediately? what if i need surgery on oct 5?

by Anonymousreply 22009/28/2013

" Look up facts before you start spouting nonsense."

No one is disputing that all health insurance is guaranteed to issue for coverage with effective dates of 1/1/14 or later. You continue to insist that people can enroll at will, which is simply incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 22109/28/2013

So what I understand from all this, is that one can enroll in Obamacare during open enrollment, which is Oct - Mar this year, but will be Oct - Jan in later years (or a shorter period), and one cannot be turned down due to a pre-existing condition.

If one does not have insurance, and has an accident or illness requiring immediate attention, one can get insurance, but must pay a fine. The size if the fine is ?, I understand it will be increased in later years, to be large enough to discourage people from trying to get away with only buying insurance when they need it to pay large medical bills.

by Anonymousreply 22209/28/2013

Questions.

Does your "income" include money you have in savings and bank iras?

What if you quit your job and want to use obcare instead of cobra. Can you sign up at any time?

by Anonymousreply 22309/28/2013

R223, I don't think savings is income, savings would be asset.

but interest you earn from the savings would be considered income. IRAs not income unless you are collecting.

by Anonymousreply 22509/28/2013

R223 - I had crappy COBRA insurance in Massachusetts where we have Romneycare, the model for Obamacare. I was allowed to cancel my COBRA insurance and buy insurance thru Romneycare. I was then able to get the medical treatment that I couldn't get before with my crappy plan, which is one of the reasons for implementing Romneycare (and Obamacare) in the first place.

So, yep,

by Anonymousreply 22609/28/2013

[quote]I can rent a movie rather than own it. I can buy books to read on Kindle. I can do without one of the premium channels on cable...I can do without Sirius XM radio...

Wow, what a stereotypical spoiled American. Why not add "I can do without my upstairs maid".

by Anonymousreply 22709/28/2013

R22, the fine for the first year is $95 or one percent of your income.

by Anonymousreply 22809/28/2013

R224: What the hell is that great big, boring wall of text about?

by Anonymousreply 22909/28/2013

R228:You should not be punished for not affording health care. Oh yeah, I know the working class spends all their money on alcohol, drugs, and lottery tickets.

by Anonymousreply 23009/28/2013

R224, you should separate your post into paragraphs, and have spaces between the paragraphs in order to have people be able to motivated to read your post.

by Anonymousreply 23109/28/2013

"Income" refers to a specific number on your last income tax form (sorry, I do not remember which one). It does not refer to, or care about, your savings or assets of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 23209/28/2013

R220, you can enroll Oct 1 (I wonder if the websites/phone numbers will be jammed or not), but coverage does not kick in until Jan. 1 2014.

If you are concerned about a condition, you should try to find a clinic with a sliding fee scale and hopefully you'll be seen before you get insurance. That's what I've been relying on for the last year. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

by Anonymousreply 23309/29/2013

Is that one poster up there being intentionally stupid? I hope so or we're in bigger trouble than I thought. Oh, I'll just have an accident and I'm sure they'll sign me up for insurance in the ambulance, right? Moron.

Does anyone know if there are any waiting periods before coverage kicks in like there used to be? They used to get away with that in order to keep people from experiencing some medical problem and THEN seeking out insurance. I assume that's been done away with along with the pre-existing condition eligibility fix.

R222, if you don't buy insurance by March 31, 2014, you cannot buy insurance from the exchanges until the next open enrollment in October 2014. You will also be assessed the fine on your taxes for 2014. It will be $97 or 1% of your adjusted gross income for the year, whichever is greater. Even if you buy insurance outside the exchange on April 1, 2014, you will be assessed the fine.

The only exception to this is if you lose your job or otherwise lose coverage during the year, at which point you will be allowed to sign up through the marketplace with any allowable subsidies outside of the enrollment window.

by Anonymousreply 23409/29/2013

"Does anyone know if there are any waiting periods before coverage kicks in like there used to be?"

Not on policies offered as of 10/1--although I would note that temporary (short-term, "bridge) policies can still have a pre-existing condition limitation, since they are not subject to ACA regs.

"The only exception to this is if you lose your job or otherwise lose coverage during the year,"

There are a slew of qualifying events--marriage, divorce, birth, adoption, relocation, among others--that trigger an opportunity to buy coverage outside of the open enrollment period. Getting sick ain't one of them.

by Anonymousreply 23509/29/2013

I understand there are two types of fines and I wonder if the various posters are conflating them? One is a yearly fine for anyone who goes without health insurance for >2 months of the year. I think that is the $89 fine.

There is a different fine, or maybe they call it something else, like a penalty, if you want to sign-up for insurance outside of the enrollment period, and don't have a valid excuse for not having insurance. I think this penalty is much more, like a few month's of premiums. Am I wrong about this, does anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 23609/29/2013

Another question.

Will the premiums go up every year?

by Anonymousreply 24309/29/2013

My Mom has Medicare. Does she need to find a plan? Could she get a plan to supplement her Medicare coverage? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 24809/30/2013

[quote]Has anyone thought that this will be a major job creator thus slowly helping the economy?

lol, you're not familiar with the US government I'm see.

by Anonymousreply 25309/30/2013

[quote] home hospice is much more comfortable, but not covered under insurance.

It was covered under my mother's medicare + medicare supplemental insurance.

by Anonymousreply 25709/30/2013

R255, you're confusing home nursing care, which isn't covered by most insurance plans, with hospice care.

Hospice care allows for hospice nurses to come by your house to check on you, give baths, treat you, etc., but it doesn't take the place of home nursing care.

by Anonymousreply 25809/30/2013

King: "Republicans dissuading Americans from Obamacare guilty of murder"

Then King will be guilty of murder for all the people who will just have to pay the fine because they cant afford the insurance premiums and will not be afforded subsidies.

by Anonymousreply 25909/30/2013

R259, they can afford the premiums, but they'd rather blow their money on clothes, gold iPhones, eating out, and leasing BMWs.

by Anonymousreply 26009/30/2013

R260 I agree with you there. Everyone who says they can't afford it is wasting money somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 26209/30/2013

Anyone apply? I applied but the system seems to be overloaded. I filled out my info twice but I am redirected to a page that says I filled out my info wrong and I need to start the form all over again. When I registered again, it says my email has been used.

I went to login but the info I used in the form aren't accepted. The forgot password feature isn't sending me the email requested.

It's probably that the servers are overloaded and/or have first day glitches.

by Anonymousreply 26510/01/2013

Not sure what's going on in Colorado. The Web site looks just the same as it did yesterday. No Apply Here button that I can see. The Federal site does have an Apply button how, but the link just goes back to the Colorado Web site. Any other Coloradans experiencing the same thing? Am I missing something?

by Anonymousreply 26610/01/2013

New York's website isn't working.

by Anonymousreply 26710/01/2013

When I was 21, my boss at the Bank of New York half-jokingly said if jobs stocking shelves had health insurance, he would happily stock shelves rather than work at the bank.

Flash forward 25 years later, don't you think over time the mindset of people will change and some may not feel the need to take corporate jobs and will be happy with that job stocking shelves?

I actually think this is a good thing, by the way. What are your thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 26810/01/2013

I set up my account, but cannot verify because the site keeps crashing...oh well, we have three months.

by Anonymousreply 26910/01/2013

To R268 No, I think people are ambitious, curious, competitive, and fearful (of poverty, I mean) by nature, and that will always drive them to try to succeed in business.

by Anonymousreply 27010/01/2013

Yes, can't get on either.

by Anonymousreply 27110/01/2013

There were many times in my career as a nurse that I envied the people who did so-called menial labor. My job was so stressful and the patient load so overwhelming at times that I rarely took a dinner break and never left on time. On the other hand, working at a job that gave me eight hours to sweep and mop the floor and empty the garbage, with plenty of down time to watch television in the dayroom or duck into an empty patient's room to make phone calls or to stand around bullshitting about football or ogling the new nursing assistant and NEVER missing a 15 minute break or my lunch hour, all while making a livable union wage with full benefits, was very appealing to me. Or working in a book store.

by Anonymousreply 27210/01/2013

I've seen the aids in nursing homes and they have to rush through all of their work, trying to get done before they were off the clock. Trust me, they did not have time for a lot of breaks and the patients didn't always get the attention they deserved.

One thing about manual labor, you have to take a break, most people are not physically able to basically exercise for eight hours a day. Use your head...they have to take breaks throughout the day so they can make it to the end of shift. To the asshole at r272.

Naturally you have to find fault with a union worker. The lack of unions is the main problem with the world that we live in. If you had a union, you might be treated fairly...but what do you do? Bitch about unions.

by Anonymousreply 27310/01/2013

This website is fucking terrible. It's got hyperlinks galore, but they all lead to nothing.

They need the name of each on the front of healthcare.gov and each of those names needs to be linked to that plan's page which tells exactly what it covers, what it doesn't cover, how it compares to the other plans (example linked here) and a calculator to approximate how much it's going to cost for X number of adults X number of dependents in X state.

You have to write this shit with pictures and color-coding like you're talking to 5th graders. Otherwise, people say 'fuck it' and give up. If they knew how/had the inclination to jump through 127 hoops to get health insurance, they would've done it already.

by Anonymousreply 27410/01/2013

[quote]They need the name of each on the front *name of each plan

by Anonymousreply 27510/01/2013

Uh, r273? I WAS in the union. And I am not talking about Nursing Assistants in my post. I am talking about the lazy porters who did nothing but bullshit for eight hours and then empty the garbage at the end of the shift and then leave the unit thirty minutes to go and bullshit in the basement with the rest of the deadbeats. Right around the time someone would splill something and the nursing staff would have to get the mop and clean it up because no one could find the porter. Too bad if you don't like what I wrote. I spent forty years working in health care. What do you do for a living? You are going to lecture me on the need for breaks? Spend eight hours on your feet every day, running from task to task, with nary the time to PEE and then get back to me. Douche.

by Anonymousreply 27610/01/2013

I tried to get information on the different plans offered in the New York exchange. There is no information available without having to go through the application process. The tax credit calculator only works if you have Microsoft. WTF? And there are only fourteen options for me if I choose a plan outside the exchange. The cheapest is 245. Not bad but it comes with a 1250 deductible and no drug plan.

by Anonymousreply 27710/01/2013

r268, I do think you have a point. My big frustration with health care in general is WHY is it connected in any way with our employment??? The concept began after WW2 when factories starting using healthcare as an inducement to attract desperately needed workers.

Back to your observation, I think separating health care from employment will enable people to break free from the shackles of their miserable jobs and lives and do what they WANT to do for a living. Perhaps this equates to menial tasks, but it also equates to many more entrepreneurs, creative independent contractors and mavericks.

Fantastic. Thank Christ. I've been waiting for this opportunity for a long time and now it will be a reality. Many, many thanks to Obama and to Hillary who actually got the ball rolling.

by Anonymousreply 27810/01/2013

I tried at various times during the day to access the Washington State market, wahealthplanfinder.org. Even now, I cannot load the site.

I'm a bit frustrated, but I can be patient while the kinks get worked out. I bought temporary catastrophic health insurance through December 31st.

by Anonymousreply 27910/01/2013

R277, all the plans sold on the exchange offer full prescription drug coverage, and it's really good drug coverage. Trust me, you absolutely want and need full drug coverage. Drugs can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars a month if you get certain illnesses.

by Anonymousreply 28010/01/2013

R277, ONLY 14 plans to choose from? It's hard to imagine how one could filter through all the data on 14 plans, and not get them all confused. Unless they were all so crappy that they could mostly be easily dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 28110/01/2013

"set up my account, but cannot verify because the site keeps crashing...oh well, we have three months."

You've got until March 31, 2014.

Why are so many of you even going anywhere near the sites on the first day they're open. Are you new to the world of the internet? Stay away for at least the first week or two. You've got plenty of time and anything you buy now won't be effective until January 1st anyway.

by Anonymousreply 28210/02/2013

Employment-wise, I think this will be very freeing. If people don't fear the loss of insurance, they'll be more fluid in their jobs. I think a lot of older workers might move to part-time work if they don't have to keep their jobs for the insurance which would have been prohibitively priced on the open market.

Also, workers being more free to leave means employers will have to work harder to keep them. I think this will open up jobs for younger workers with better money.

by Anonymousreply 28310/02/2013

If you don't have insurance you have until the first of December to sign up to have coverage for the first of January.

by Anonymousreply 28410/02/2013

R283 with the personal cost and the HIGH deductible it won't happen.

by Anonymousreply 28510/02/2013

r278, I so agree with you. I am sure there are many people who have wanted to start their own businesses but were held back due to lack of health care.

by Anonymousreply 28610/02/2013

I finally got on to create an account but the drop down menus aren't working and you can't get past without setting your security questions. I'm frustrated.

by Anonymousreply 28710/02/2013

Has anybody successfully signed up?

I created an account and got in very late last night.

Went through the ridiculous amount of questions only to get an error at the end saying they couldn't verify my identity. They give you an option of upload a copy of your ID, Social Security card an other methods. That didn't work.

I apparently maxed out the number of attempts to verify myself and had to call what ended up being Experian to allow them to verify me. They ran a credit report. Of course none of that got added to my profile.

This process is a massive clusterfuck as far as I'm concerned.

I still can't select a plan, much less get any info on what plans are available.

I voted for Obama twice. Don;t have insurance now and want it, but this is a complete mess.

by Anonymousreply 28810/02/2013

If the company works for overs health insurance, would it be better to go to Obamacare? Does it depend on your income?

by Anonymousreply 28910/02/2013

I'm not really sure what site to go to.

by Anonymousreply 29010/02/2013

Isn't the website down because of the govt shutdown?

by Anonymousreply 29110/02/2013

I'm all for Obamacare, but in NY state the site has been inoperable since minute ONE, of course! Shit heads. See what "out sourcing" and "privatization" gets you? This.

by Anonymousreply 29210/02/2013

[quote]According to my research for myself, I am being forced to be on MedicAid. That doesn't sit right with me. At all.

Typical. Whining about free Medicaid! The audacity! Why not go earn more money you whiner! There's always just not accepting it, if it makes you feel better!

by Anonymousreply 29310/02/2013

Do you think the Koch brothers could be trying to sabotage the exchanges? They certainly have the money and means to do it.

by Anonymousreply 29410/02/2013

The New York exchange had 10 million hits yesterday. That over 10% of the entire population of New York.

by Anonymousreply 29510/02/2013

R296 is a bigger freak than any scat eating queen.

by Anonymousreply 29710/02/2013

Where in God's name did you get THAT idea, R296?

Your tax dollars paid for the Depleted Uranium weapons used in Fallujah, Iraq that turned hundreds of new-born babies into deformed monsters. I suppose you are proud of that.

by Anonymousreply 29910/02/2013

I have a couple of friends who signed up today on the Covered California exchange. They're going to save thousands of dollars a year.

by Anonymousreply 30010/02/2013

Out of the fourteen plans available only three were in a ballpark that I could afford, r281. And out of the three, two have deductibles and only one included a drug plan, so yes, I didn't even bother to investigate the rest. I really want to see what the exchange is offering but in New York the website is "down due to maintenance". And now I am paying for my curiosity because I received three phone calls from Blue Cross today. Thank god I was sleeping late today and never heard the phone ring.

by Anonymousreply 30110/02/2013

We're approaching 20 million hits across the exchanges since yesterday morning. And Republicans said that Americans didn't want Obamacare???

by Anonymousreply 30210/02/2013

Thank you r302. That's what I'm talking about

by Anonymousreply 30310/02/2013

There are 74 plans to choose from in Austin, TX. I may need a navigator to help me decide. I can't believe how many plans there are.

by Anonymousreply 30410/02/2013

"If the company works for overs health insurance, would it be better to go to Obamacare? Does it depend on your income?"

If your employer offers health insurance that meets the minimum requirements (ie. covers at least 60% of expenses, etc.) and costs you less than 9.5% of your household income, you are ineligible to buy through the exchanges and would have to go on the open market.

If your employers employs more than 50 people and doesn't offer affordable insurance, they will be fined $3000 per employee who enters the exchange to buy insurance.

So, figure out if your employer sponsored insurance costs you less than 9.5% of your household income. If it costs less, you're better off staying on that insurance because you won't be getting any subsidies.

by Anonymousreply 30510/03/2013

The Exchanges are bad. I pay now $108 for a catastrophic policy with a 10,000 out of pocket maximum per year--but which includes two free dental exams and cleanings per year and unlimited primary care physician visits. I do not have a pre-existing condition. Now, to subsidate all with pre-existing condition, my premium is set to jump to $350, with only a slightly lower out of pocket max. Scandalous and not what was represented to us when the Decider said "if you have a policy, you can keep it."

by Anonymousreply 30610/03/2013

Starting January 1st of 2014, the following "Ten Essential Benefits" must be included under all insurance plans:

• Emergency services • Hospitalizations • Laboratory services • Maternity care • Mental health and substance abuse treatment • Outpatient, or ambulatory care • Pediatric care • Prescription drugs • Preventive care • Rehabilitative and rehabilitative (helping maintain daily functioning) services • Vision and dental care for children

by Anonymousreply 30710/03/2013

R301 - I suggest you don't bother looking for a few weeks. Let somebody else "break in" the new online system and experience whatever frustration and confusion there is. The plans don't start until Jan 1, 2014 anyway.

I checked, and all plans must include Rx benefits (it's not letting saving my posts with the link, but it is at obamacarefacts.com/benefitsofobamacare DOT php

by Anonymousreply 30810/03/2013

R306, Just today, I heard Obama say, and not for the first time, that some people will pay more. You read like you're exactly the demographic that this fits. That sucks, but you will be benefitting from the premiums you pay.

The ACA plans will provide additional benefits, including the benefit that if you DO unexpectedly get sick, you can't get dropped and become uninsurable. Oh, if you get a boss that's unbearable, you can quit and not worry that you'll lose your insurance. That's wealth protection. You may not have wanted it, but you got it and will benefit from it. This will keep you from becoming somebody I, well everybody, has to subsidize.

Oh, Politico reports the max out of pocket is $6350. That's 63.5% of $10,000, I wouldn't call that "slightly lower".

I'd look again at that premium. I suspect you could get a better price. But wait a few weeks, for the kinks to get worked out.

by Anonymousreply 30910/03/2013

Thanks, r308. You are right. I guess I am just so sick of hearing about this that I wanted to see something concrete. I should have known that there would be a bumrush. I have to say I am proud of New York State and Governor Cuomo. New York is going to pay a shitload of money to subsidize the low income non-insured but it is the right thing to do. And according to the kff.org calculator (it works with iOS) I may benefit from the exchange. At least the taxes we pay will go for something worthwhile and not huge tax breaks to subsidize luxury housing for the hoi paloi.

by Anonymousreply 31010/03/2013

R309, Do you have any ideas on which demographic will be paying more?

I'd like to prepare myself for the shock.

by Anonymousreply 31110/03/2013

R311, I can't say what demographic WILL pay more, but I can say which MAY pay more. If you previously were uninsured for whatever reason, you MAY pay more for insurance. If like the other fellow, you are young; healthy; previously had a catastrophic coverage crappy plan or no plan; have a high income and therefore don't qualify for a subsidy; and live in a neighborhood that is priced high, then you MAY pay more for insurance. I have no idea how much more.

But give it a chance before you get a worried about it.

by Anonymousreply 31210/03/2013

There is a lot of complaining on this thread and others that is based on inaccurate, or premature information. So much so, I'm wondering how sincere some people are when they express concerns while spreading falsehoods.

Give Obamacare a chance to work. Don't believe the complaints, see for yourself when the system is broken-in.

by Anonymousreply 31310/03/2013

How do you know that, r314? Checked and were disappointed?

by Anonymousreply 31510/03/2013

Wasn't this all just a plot to get poor people off the "free Emergency Room" plan (i.e. "Sorry, I can't pay")?

by Anonymousreply 31610/03/2013

They're suggesting that people use the call centers to register right now. There are millions of people on the Healthcare.gov website and it's at a standstill.

I talked to a very nice, sexy-voiced guy and he helped me get registered. The people at the call center are very nice and helpful. He told me that they've been absolutely swamped from the second the exchange opened.

by Anonymousreply 31710/03/2013

I want Obamacare but I can't afford it and my state won't give me Medicaid. I just have to pay for what I can out of pocket, after that, I die.

by Anonymousreply 31810/03/2013

"Oh and i believe people have until March to buy insurance before the penalty"

What if you... just say no? Do they come to your house and ask to see your proof of insurance?

by Anonymousreply 31910/03/2013

R319, you will be penalized on your 2014 tax return. Either $96 or 1% of your household income, whichever is greater.

The IRS will be tracking compliance and collecting the penalties. Did you ever try to hide from the IRS? Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 32010/04/2013

If you have an existing policy, keep it, there is not a forced participation in ACA.

by Anonymousreply 32110/04/2013

It has taken me four attempt to finish registering. Still have not made it all the way through.

Why not just publish the rates publicly for every one in every state to see??

by Anonymousreply 32210/09/2013

I agree, r322. I think we should be able to see the plans that are offered on the Exchange before registering. We should also be able to see what the savings will be if we decide to take the credit before we register. In New York State the calculator only works with Microsoft. What if you have an older Apple computer or use an iPad? It seems like the procedure is ass backwards. If you register for the Exchange can you choose one of their plans without taking the tax credit?

by Anonymousreply 32310/09/2013

I just don't understand what the hell the secret is. If I wanted to know what Blue Cross Blue Shield rates are in my state, I could find them on the internet. You can find rates on einsurance.com.

Just print them in the paper, on various websites,etc. Doesn't mean people aren't going to eventually go to the the site to register to enroll in a certain policy.

Sheesh!!

by Anonymousreply 32410/09/2013

I think it will be easier to buy private insurance. I don't like the idea of having to register before I know any of the details. I can get a policy for 245 a month with a 1250 deductible and twenty dollar co-pay for office visits. I have a drug and vision plan with my union. I am retired. There is also a plan for 306 WITH drug coverage and the same deductible and co-pay rates. The tax credit for a silver plan on the exchange would be 100 and that would bring the premium down to 193 for me. It's a fifty dollar savings but with all the hassle of registering and enrolling and all the information they collect, I don't know if it's worth it. I really don't. And the rate is guaranteed for a year. It would give me time to see how Obamacare is working out and research for a better deal. The silver plan on the exchange still has a high deductible and co-pays.

by Anonymousreply 32510/10/2013

"It has taken me four attempt to finish registering. Still have not made it all the way through."

Why are you even trying it now? Give it some time. It's like going to the opening night of a huge movie and then complaining about the lines and delays.

The reason they can't list all the rates is because every single person, depending on their situation, will be paying a completely different rate. Do you just want them to list the maximum and scare everyone away before they even get started?

There's a link that's been posted multiple times here where you can calculate your subsidy pretty closely. Kff.org. It's right on the front page. Put in about five pieces of info and you get all the information many of you are looking for.

Why is it the people with the least knowledge have the biggest mouths when it comes to complaining? Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 32610/10/2013

We're 10 days in and alot of these minor glitches should have been fixed. Even Jon Stewart questioned Sebelius about this on his show.

by Anonymousreply 32710/10/2013

Oh, for god's sake, then just publish the rates with a chart with the range of possible subsidies and give people some kind of estimate.

There are many who will not qualify for the subsidies, so print the damn rates!!

by Anonymousreply 32810/10/2013

Again, R328, bitching and moaning coming from someone who didn't even bother to go and use the very simple calculator at kff.org which would answer your questions as far as subsidies and what you, or anyone else, will be eligible for in the marketplace.

Low information people is the reason we're in the shitty situation we're in. Congrats on continuing to play your part.

Ten bucks that he still won't go to the stupid website to get the exact information he's asking for over and over.

by Anonymousreply 32910/12/2013

Thanks for that...

My cost would be 4, 528 a year with a potential deductible of 6,350. In other words the total could be 20% of my income or 33% of my take home pay.

It is NOT affordable. I have no choice but to opt out.

by Anonymousreply 33010/12/2013

link, please, r330.

by Anonymousreply 33110/12/2013

I'm looking at a $55 a month premium with $2,250 max out of pocket. If my employer decides to subsidize our premiums (they should, but I don't know for sure yet) I should be able to pick a better plan with a smaller deductible.

by Anonymousreply 33210/12/2013

I've had a personal plan for a decade. It's a 5000 deductible per year and runs about 400 per month. I contribute to an HSA as well.

Looking at the ACA site, I believe that I could get a similar policy for about half of my current pricing. Which I will likely switch too, once I do a side by side evaluation.

Some of the blatant ignorance here is astounding. Nobody is forcing you to use the ACA site, you can still keep your current individual plans.

by Anonymousreply 33310/12/2013

I think people want to see what other options exist, if even they still have individual policies, that's why they want to get onto the site.

Not blatant ingnorance, just proper due diligence.

by Anonymousreply 33410/12/2013

R330, how much do you make a year?

Even your numbers, which I don't believe because the deductible exceeds the out of pocket limitations for almost all the plans, mean your monthly payment would be about $370 a month.

So, give us your age and income and let's see if your bitching is relevant. And, make sure it's your annual household income, including any stocks and dividends and anything else you and/or your partner bring home.

by Anonymousreply 33510/13/2013

If I had told you one month ago that ten days into the launch of Obamacare not a single person could be confirmed to have successfully enrolled, you would have called me a lunatic. And yet, here we are, tens days into the launch, and guess what? The White House cannot produce a single person who has successfully enrolled through the federally-run exchange Healthcare.gov.

Not one.

The real story on the catastrophic IT disaster known as Healthcare.gov is only now beginning to be recognized by the nation. As a person with a strong IT background running large R&D projects, I was among the very first to claim that Healthcare.gov is not just broken, it's DOA because of critical design failures.

by Anonymousreply 33610/13/2013

Even ABC News is now calling Healthcare.gov, "nothing short of disastrous," adding, "Media outlets have struggled to find anyone who has been successful."

My analysis of the Javascript running Healthcare.gov

I have personally looked at the Javascript code running part of the Healthcare.gov website. If you are curious how I got the code, I simply typed the URL of the Javascript code into the browser address field. The browser then pulls up the entire code block, because Javascript is client-side code (not server-side).

What I am seeing in this code is nothing short of jaw-dropping. As people are now saying, this code is "CRAAAAAZY!" You almost can't even call it Javascript code. If you sat down 100 monkeys in front of 100 typewriters and told them to start banging away, I'm confident at least one of them would come up with something far better than the Healthcare.gov Javascript code.

In fact, I am practically ROFLMAO just looking at this code. Any competent programmer in the world, upon seeing this, would just burst their britches in knowing the U.S. government spent $600+ million dollars on this project. Inside the code, the Javascript programmer comments are just off-the-charts hilarious. Comments found in the code include (yes, these are actual text comments from the script):

"TODO: add functionality to show alert text after too many tries at log in"

by Anonymousreply 33710/13/2013

The code is also full of juvenile typos such as "'Misssing Password" and "This is not a valid organazation ID." Seriously, was this written by eighth graders?

Even error messages contains their own errors, such as "'Exception in [sic] retreiving REInsurance Plan by criteria."

It also contains brain-dead user instructions such as:

"You need to send the Marketplace proof that you are not enrolled in Medicaid or the Childrens Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Examples of documents you can send include Letter from Medicaid or CHIP." (Yeah, right. Can you imagine calling Medicaid and asking for a letter stating that you are NOT enrolled in Medicaid?)

"Verify [FN]'s SSN and date of death, if applicable"

"Check all attestations before submitting your application."

"Send the Marketplace proof that [FN] isnt incarcerated (detained or jailed) by [Date]."

Do you speak Gujarati?

Although this Healthcare.gov computer code fails to function it does however support the language known as "Gujarati." According to an online encyclopedia, "Gujarati is an Indo-Aryan language, native to Gujarat, Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli in India. It is part of the greater Indo-European language family. Gujarati is derived from Old Gujarati (1100–1500 AD) which is the ancestor language of the modern Gujarati and Rajasthani languages, and is the chief language in the state of Gujarat."

I am absolutely thrilled to know that my tax dollars may someday pay for the health insurance coverage of an ancestor of the Gujarati and Rajasthani languages, from the state of Gujarat. So while our "greatest generation" World War II veterans are being barricaded out of national monuments, the Obama administration is prioritizing providing subsidized health insurance coverage to descendants of the state of Gujarat.

by Anonymousreply 33810/13/2013

Even though I have only seen the public Javascript code and not the server-side processing code, the Javascript itself is truly disastrous -- on an epic scale.

For example, the Javascript file loaded for each user transfers all error messages, form field messages and front-end error messages from the server to the user's browser repeatedly for each cultural language supported by the system.

In other words, the entire set of error messages is hard-coded into the Javascript for English, then again for German, then again for French, Spanish, and so on, all the way through Gujarati and who knows how many other unheard-of languages.

I don't even know how to begin to tell you how disastrously idiotic such a design is. It practically guarantees a critical server crash under any kind of real user load. No programmer with an IQ above 100 would design js code in such a manner. This code was designed and written by utterly incompetent people who have built into the system exactly the kind of architecture that will make it fail if anyone tries to use it.

When HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius says this code is "functioning," she's actually painting a giant "dunce" sign on her forehead. This code is so far from functioning that all the government programmers in the world couldn't make it work smoothly by January 1.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PS- These posts are just snippets of the whole article. The full analysis is available at the link.

by Anonymousreply 33910/13/2013

Part of the problem is that signing up for Obamacare coverage is far more complicated than the online transactions Americans are used to, like checking a bank balance or ordering a book. The Obamacare website must knit together platforms from five huge federal agencies — Homeland Security, the Social Security Administration, HHS, the Treasury Department and the Department of Justice — each of which marches to its own IT specifications. It must also interact with separate systems set up by the 15 states that built their own exchanges, plus all of those outside insurers. It’s an unprecedented experiment in federal information technology.

by Anonymousreply 34010/13/2013

(Reuters) - For Americans who are able to check out new insurance plans launched under President Barack Obama's healthcare reform, the price differences from state to state may be surprising.

Residents of Minnesota, a Democratic-led state, are likely to pay the lowest monthly premiums in the country. Just two states away, some residents of Republican-dominated Wyoming might be surprised to find they will pay among the highest.

But the ideological debate between Obamacare's supporters and opponents seems to have had little relevance when it comes to the affordability of care, the main goal of the Democratic president's signature program, health economists and actuaries say.

Instead, they point to regional differences in medical costs, the relative health and age of local populations and competition among insurers as having greater influence over the monthly premiums. Those differences lead to a wide variance in prices between states, and even within states.

Of the 24 states that fall below a national average of $328 in monthly premiums, laid out in a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services analysis last month, at least half are dominated by Republican state governments.

The affordability of the plans will likely determine whether enough uninsured Americans, particularly young and healthy ones, sign up to make the program successful.

The new insurance plans became available for enrollment nationwide on October 1. But technical problems with the federal government's Healthcare.gov website serving 36 states have blocked millions of people from accessing the information.

In Wyoming, the cheapest mid-tier plan, or "silver" plan, costs $307 for a 27-year old in Laramie County, one of the state's only two counties considered "urban" and where the state capital Cheyenne is located. It has 60,000 residents with an average age of 37 years old. Venture outside those two counties and prices rise by $25. Change to the one other insurer offering a plan, and prices climb $100.

In Minnesota, a 27-year old in Minneapolis could pay $126 for a silver plan. Its population is 393,000, and the median age is 34. Go out to Traverse County, with the oldest population in the state, and that starting price rises to $153. In Minnesota, residents can choose from four insurers.

"It seems that basically the eligible populations in those areas, and the relative negotiating power of providers and insurance plans seem to really be the driver" of prices, said Matthew Buettgens, a mathematician at the Urban Institute, a social and economic research, "not necessarily politics."

Maryland, a staunchly Democratic state with an active insurance department, emphasized its ability to reduce premium rates by about 30 percent overall on the new products. But the average price on its mid-tier "silver" insurance plan is $299, only $6 less than in Republican-led Texas, whose leaders have been at the forefront of an effort to kill the healthcare law, culminating in a federal government shutdown.

Even within a state, there are variations. In Georgia, a 100-mile difference can mean hundreds of dollars in the monthly cost. Monthly premiums in rural regions cost much more than in more populated areas.

According to the data on the federal Healthcare.gov website, the cheapest "silver" plans in the state are in the counties surrounding Atlanta - about $185 a month - where five insurers sell plans. The most expensive are in Georgia's southwest corner, where only Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield (part of WellPoint Inc) sells Obamacare plans at a minimum of $200 a month higher for a comparable plan.

by Anonymousreply 34110/13/2013

r328 isn't bitching about the tax credit calculator. He wants to see what plans are being offered and how much they cost. As he pointed out, not everyone will qualify for the credit, but the rates for those without the credit are expected to be better on the Exchange. Listing the various plans and monthly premiums available for Individuals and Families and the Self-Employed is done by private insurers. The Exchange should do the same without having to register first. That is what we want to see. So stop with the scolding, r329. I think the reason they are not listing the plans is that we might get a better deal right now with a private insurer. The rates on the exchange may fluccuate depending on the number of people who actually buy insurance. With a private insurer you can get coverage starting in November instead of January but that window is closing so that is why it is frustrating not being able to go on the Exchange to see what is what.

by Anonymousreply 34210/13/2013

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

SOLUTION TO THE HEALTHCARE PROBLEM -

Remove the word *insurance* from all discussions of the topic.

VOILA! DONE!

by Anonymousreply 34310/13/2013

Ok, I'm 34, never had health insurance, and I'm a staunch supporter of this effort to try something new for our terribly broken healthcare system. In fact, I can't wait to call my republican, fox-news watching father and brag about the great deal I get on the exchange (I live in a state that doesn't have state-run exchanges) when the website works.

But that's the problem. The website doesn't work. Its not too complicated to opporate, it simply is not working. I have registered and filled out all of my info and uploaded my ID for verification 6 times over the past week (the first week I couldn't even get to the registration part, it wouldn't recognize my log-in to get on). And still nothing. It doesn't stick. I really want this website to work and it just isn't.

I'm sorry, but someone royaly fucked up here. Soon the republicans really will be able to use this against us and the ACA. I don't want to see that. Obama needs to get in front of this, stat. And I'm talking primetime-tv-address-the-country in front of it. It's real bad and people need to know what the fuck is going on.

by Anonymousreply 34410/13/2013

I'll go along with that, r344. The website has been frustrating. I wonder if it's my computer....Vista.

by Anonymousreply 34510/13/2013

R340, why are Homeland Security and the Justice Department involved in the healthcare exchange?

by Anonymousreply 34610/13/2013

Scandalous and not what was represented to us when the Decider said "if you have a policy, you can keep it."

Current plans will be allowed to continued by being "grandfathered" in, even if they don't meet the minimum requirements of the ACA. And new people can even join these "grandfathered" policies.

But if insurance companies want to create a new policy, they must follow the guidelines.

So it's still possible for anyone to get a cheap high-deductible catastrophic policy (provided you don't have pre-existing conditions -- I think that part is "grandfathered" in as well, for those old policies that never did let people with pre-existing conditions enroll in the first place)

by Anonymousreply 34710/13/2013

w

by Anonymousreply 34810/13/2013

R347: insurance industry shill.

by Anonymousreply 34910/13/2013

It's likely that the website has been hacked. I wouldn't be putting personal info on that site if it's acting strangely.

by Anonymousreply 35010/13/2013

still trolling

by Anonymousreply 35110/13/2013

Is there a reason why an individual state couldn't create its own single-payer system? I think it would have to be in a small, liberal state-- like Hawaii or Vermont. There could be a state plan, paid through taxes, that meets the minimum requirements under the ACA. Then people could choose to purchase private insurance to supplement it and fill in the gaps as needed.

by Anonymousreply 35310/13/2013

I just berated the live chat specialist on the fed exchange website because they would not let me see the plans without providing my personal info first.

by Anonymousreply 35410/13/2013

[quote]If I had told you one month ago that ten days into the launch of Obamacare not a single person could be confirmed to have successfully enrolled, you would have called me a lunatic.

Yup, and you are, since you unquestioningly swallowed the idiotic drivel of someone who is lying to you.

by Anonymousreply 35510/13/2013

[quote]Scandalous and not what was represented to us when the Decider said "if you have a policy, you can keep it."

First clue that you're dealing with an idiot and a troll (but I repeat myself): "the Decider." What's interesting in this case, though, is that this particular troll wasn't able to come up with anything that is "scandalous" or that isn't what was represented!

by Anonymousreply 35610/13/2013

[quote]The bigger picture is that this is not healthcare.

Duh. Nobody ever claimed it was.

[quote]It will make your life after it goes into full swing a complete paperwork nightmare that the insurance companies want.

That is what everyone said about both Medicaid and Medicare. The reality, of course, has been completely different, just as will be true of this proposal.

[quote]It is a non-standardized standard that varies wildly in prices from state to state, zip to zip. This way apples and oranges cannot be compared. We ALL should be treated equally, paying equally and getting the same care equally.

Moron, this is insurance in the private market. Just as automobile, life, and health insurance vary widely from location to location, so too does the insurance available via the ACA.

[quote]I have always said that this will be a fucking nightmare

We're in the first couple of weeks of this program and you've already made up your mind? That tells us everything we need to know about you.

[quote]the assholes of the 3rd way Democrats are making fun of poor people, people trying to get on the ACA site and asking for people to post their information so they can prove everyone that is having problems is a liar or troll.

That's probably because of idiots, liars, and trolls like you. Interesting that you can't point to any quotes or threads.

[quote]Can you imagine that this would be the case? Democrats on a Democratic site calling out the poor and disabled? Why is this?

Because you're lying, of course. This isn't rocket science.

[quote]Everyone who likes the ACA in most cases already has insurance. This is a fact.

Moron, you wouldn't know a "fact" if it bit you in the ass. It's an opinion, and a stupid one.

by Anonymousreply 35710/13/2013

I've been trying to sign up. They still can't verify my identity.

My state finally put up rates from various insurance companies. The plan I was on before I lost my job with the over $6000 out of pocket is the same unaffordable price of $407 a month. The main difference is that no more pre-exisiting conditions.

I have no idea what credit or whatever I would get,

Also my unemployment runs out in mid December so health insurance is the least of my concerns.

by Anonymousreply 35810/13/2013

R358, you cannot expect to be able to afford on your own what was supplied at your last most recent job.

Those are unrealistic expectations on your part.

Your employer was paying for the majority of your coverage at your last job.

Now that you're on your own without that job, you need to choose a plan that is affordable for you.

by Anonymousreply 35910/13/2013

R359, my previous employer paid $50 a month toward my plan.

I said I have no idea what kinds of credits etc I would receive, but any insurance where you have to pay $6000 out of pocket annually to somebody who is unemployed is undoable. What is the point? It's the reason why I didn't pick up the coverage when I lost the job. I couldn't afford it and it didn't pay for anything until I went over 6K in expenses,.

by Anonymousreply 36110/13/2013

Does that $6000 apply to just hospitalization and surgery, for example, or does it apply to a simple doctor office visit?

by Anonymousreply 36210/13/2013

R359, are you saying that this $6000 plan will be your only option through the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) or are you saying you do not know what your options will be under Obamacare?

by Anonymousreply 36310/13/2013

Obama said we could keep our PCP. It turns out thats not true.

by Anonymousreply 36410/13/2013

If it's the same as what I had before, the 6K applies to most everything except doctor's visit. Over a year ago my doctor wanted me to get a CT scan, but the radiology place called me the day before the test and told me I had to bring $3000 with me or no test.

I'm over 7K in debt from trying to get a diagnosis for blood in my urine, flank pain that's not kidney stones. Even though I have no diagnosis, they consider it a pre-exisiting condition.

by Anonymousreply 36510/13/2013

YOU CAN PREVIEW THE PLANS ON HEALTHCARE.GOV WITHOUT REGISTERING. The link has been on the front page for the past week. Here's the link...

Remember, the prices do NOT include the premium subsidy, which will lower your price considerably.

by Anonymousreply 36610/13/2013

Like a lot of others, I've had difficulty even logging into the exchange. My laptop OS is Windows 7, and I couldn't log in at all using Chrome. Firefox kept kicking me off the server, and IE allowed a log in, but didn't display anything between the header and footer. I've been trying this since Day 1, but not expecting to get in for a few more weeks. So, no big deal, just recognizing the frustration of others makes me hate the red state Chicken Littles even more for all their shit stirring while the bugs get worked out.

Anyway, I was doing crossword puzzles on my Kindle this morning, and thought I'd try to log on to the exchange using that. Ten seconds later, I was in, finishing my profile, verifying my identity and successfully filling out form questions. I hope after work today I'll be able to finish signing up and picking out a plan. Hope this helps someone out there.

by Anonymousreply 36710/13/2013

R365, it appears you do not know what your options for plans or the range of plans under Obamacare will be, correct?

by Anonymousreply 36810/13/2013

R363, we have 5 options for insurance in my state. All of the bronze plans (the most affordable) have a $6400 annual out of pocket expense. This is with every company. The monthly premium varies around $30 - $40 a month between the companies and there are some differences in converge.

All of the plans I looked at today are the same individual plans that these companies were offering before ACA. The price is exactly the same. I spent a fair amount of time shopping around to see if I could find something I might be able to swing when I lost my job. The company I worked for didn't have to offer Cobra due to it's size.

I just spoke to a friend who picked up the state option that I was offered instead of Cobra. She lost her job a couple months before me and her insurance runs out in a few weeks. She said her plan is the same exact price as well.

Again, these are just PDF files and they don't factor in whatever discounts you would get due to income. I still can't get that info because of the fucked up website.

by Anonymousreply 36910/13/2013

Thanks for the link, R366. I already have employer-provided health insurance (for which I contribute $200 a month). Looks like I could get a decent plan for between $250 and $300 a month. Great? No. But better than the $900 a month I last paid when I had COBRA. I live in NJ, BTW, where our fat fuck governor declined to create a state exchange so he could suck up to rightwingers.

On another note, are these premium contributions tax-deductible? My $200 monthly contribution stings a little less because it is pre-tax. How would that work with a private plan?

by Anonymousreply 37010/13/2013

OMG 6K deductible? that's insane!

by Anonymousreply 37110/13/2013

You have to check and see what the $6000 deductible applies to.

You already said it does not apply to doctor office visits - so it probably does not apply to lots of other things.

by Anonymousreply 37210/13/2013

[quote]All of the bronze plans (the most affordable) have a $6400 annual out of pocket expense.

I assume that's he out of pocket MAXIMUM, not what you'd actually spend. It's not the same as a deductible.

by Anonymousreply 37310/13/2013

Okay....I am probably NOT the typical DL'er, but here's my story.

I am 63 [yes old] and a non-smoker. I have a small pension from my government job and Social Security benefits. I work one day a week at a bookstore. My total monthly income from all of these totals about $1500.

I was finally able to get onto the website at Healthcare.gov and fill in my information. I qualify for a monthly subsidy of $791. I was able to get an Anthem/BCBS plan with a $500 deductible with the usual In-Plan restrictions (certain doctors/hospitals} but it looks like my current doctor is in there - if not there are two pages of local doctors, surely someone will take me.

My cost is Zero for this plan that has a usual premium of $782 per month.

That's my story - I know not typical because I am old and poor. And although I am enrolled, I haven't gotten anything from Anthem yet telling me I am.... I just have a terrible feeling this will end up costing me SOMETHING, but I am not sure how or what.

But that's one poor little person's experience.

by Anonymousreply 37410/13/2013

BTW this is a Silver Plan.

by Anonymousreply 37510/13/2013

If R373 is accurate, that is a HUGE difference.

Having $6400 MAXIMUM out of pocket is radically different than having a $6400 deductible.

by Anonymousreply 37610/13/2013

R374, that sounds great. And your subsidy is huge and you having to pay zero is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 37710/13/2013

R374 And you'll only need it for two years until Medicare kicks in anyway.

by Anonymousreply 37810/13/2013

From the plan:

What is the overall deductible?

[$6350] Individual / [$5000-$12700]Family

You must pay all the costs up to the deductible amount before this plan begins to pay for covered services you use. Check your policy or plan documents to see when the deductible starts over (usually, but not always, January 1st). See the chart starting on page 2 for how much you pay for covered services after you meet the deductible.

You have no deductible for office visits and pay %0% for tests.

This is for the company that has the monopoly on health care coverage in my city.

by Anonymousreply 37910/13/2013

R379 Is that the lowest cost option (like a Bronze Plan)? Maybe that's why the deductible is so high. At least the basic services (office visits and tests) are free, so if you don't have any chronic illnesses, you might be OK. What about prescriptions?

by Anonymousreply 38010/13/2013

If office visits and lab tests are free, that is a huge benefit.

by Anonymousreply 38110/13/2013

R380, it is the bronze plan I have 2 health issues and the last two years I had insurance I maxed out and paid the full out of pocket. I've forgone health care for the past 2 years because I cannot afford it.

Even if I can get this plan for free, I still cannot afford health care.

by Anonymousreply 38210/13/2013

I talked to a representative from BCBS Texas yesterday, and she said that they've been "overwhelmed" with people applying for insurance in Texas. She said that they're currently backlogged by a week just to process all the applications they've gotten.

by Anonymousreply 38310/13/2013

R382, why don't you get at least a gold plan? The gold plans in my state don't have deductibles, or very small ones. The premiums are affordable if you qualify for a subsidy.

by Anonymousreply 38410/13/2013

R383, are they buying policies through the exchange or directly from BCBS? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 38510/13/2013

Both, R385. It all depends on if they qualify for a subsidy or not. BCBS has been very good about getting people signed up since they're the main participant on the exchange.

by Anonymousreply 38610/13/2013

R340-

[quote]Part of the problem is that signing up for Obamacare coverage is far more complicated than the online transactions Americans are used to, like checking a bank balance or ordering a book. The Obamacare website must knit together platforms from five huge federal agencies — Homeland Security, the Social Security Administration, HHS, the Treasury Department and the Department of Justice — each of which marches to its own IT specifications. It must also interact with separate systems set up by the 15 states that built their own exchanges, plus all of those outside insurers. It’s an unprecedented experiment in federal information technology.

And you expect such a complex system of competing "fiefdoms" of Bureacracy to work together?

Hell, the FBI, NSA and CIA still don't work together!

by Anonymousreply 38710/13/2013

R347-

[quote]Current plans will be allowed to continued by being "grandfathered" in, even if they don't meet the minimum requirements of the ACA. And new people can even join these "grandfathered" policies.

The numerous reports of people that have been dropped by their insurance, and the numerous companies that have told employees that starting 1/1/14 that they will be losing their company insurance...well, any "grandfather" policy is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 38910/13/2013

R360-

[quote]This is what happens when Democrats are in charge.

It would be just as bad under the Rethuglicans.

by Anonymousreply 39010/13/2013

R367-

Please follow up about how the Kindle registration worked out.

If it works, then you can disprove all the negative bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 39110/13/2013

Except for the Freepers, this is an informative thread. Just got a notice from my non-profit provider that my monthly payments will go from $840/mo. down to $530/mo.. Haven't read the details, but apparently my out-of-pocket max will be $3,500 per year. I always max it out due to epilepsy and cancer.

Am wondering if I would be eligible for a subsidy or an even cheaper plan under the ACA Law, due to low income and high medical costs.

Lost my longtime job 4 years ago and have been living off my 401K. Am 51, smoker (yes, I know), live in CA and have several pre-existings. Was happy to be able to get ANY insurance, was covered under COBRA until that expired and I'm now covered under the HIPPA law, apparently.

Any Californians have any advice? Am going to look at some sites posted here. Will share my experience.

Getting old sucks, but I enjoy life and am so grateful for medical science.

Many Thanks to some of the more thoughtful DL posters!

by Anonymousreply 39210/13/2013

R357...Democratic Underground insurance secure troll.

Ever notice the most vociferous defenders of this have insurance?

For proof go over to Democratic Underground and see the horrifying result of people tat will defend the ACA to the point of asking posters to list their personal information.

Again, I am a lifelong Democrat, and this is a freaking mess. Just wait till you want care. This is just the very tip of the iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 39310/13/2013

If it's a mess, it's the Republicans fault. Pelosi passed a bill with a public option. All the Democrats wanted that, except maybe those in very red districts, not that there are many of those left.

This plan was developed by the Heritage Foundation - or Bob Dole? Maybe even first thought of during the Nixon years. I forget the details but it's a Repug plan to keep the insurance companies in the game.

And with all this negotiating, they're not even trying to get a helpful tweak in Obamacare by letting the people in states where Medicaid is not being expanded get ANY help with their premiums, while people making up to 400% of the poverty line do! It's evil.

Republican evil. What else is new... All I can figure is they have a mental checklist with one item that says, "Am I religious?" If the answer is yes, then you can do all the hateful wicked things you want because you're going to heaven just because you "believe"

by Anonymousreply 39410/14/2013

[quote]The numerous reports of people that have been dropped by their insurance, and the numerous companies that have told employees that starting 1/1/14 that they will be losing their company insurance...well, any "grandfather" policy is bullshit.

You do realize that most of those stories are false, right? It's amazing how you will unquestioningly swallow any total crap, so long as it's negative to the government, just like you swallowed that bullshit article you cited above.

[quote]If it works, then you can disprove all the negative bullshit.

No, he can't, because you wouldn't believe him, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 39510/14/2013

thank you r395

by Anonymousreply 39610/14/2013

R393, your terribly uninformed. Your care is no different under an insurance policy purchased under the ACA or privately.

by Anonymousreply 39710/14/2013

Still working on it, 391. Went back to finish it this morning, and some of my info didn't save. Not sure if it's the OS, the site, or me, so don't anyone foam at the mouth about what a "total disaster" it is yet. I will say, it's aggravating as fuck filling this thing out on a tiny Kindle. If you don't wear glasses now, you will need them when you're done.

Just for laughs, checked my application progress through the laptop and IE browser. The browser recognized my application number but didn't display anything. Did anyone here successfully apply using Windows 7?

by Anonymousreply 39810/14/2013

From yesterday:

I used the Healthcare.gov site NOT my state (Indiana) site which was USELESS.

If you are looking for information, I would recommend Healthcare.gov rather than your state site. It was pretty easy to use. And it also has a live chat feature which I used to get some information.

The woman talking to me had some SCRIPTED answers, but was also able to answer a specific question in just a few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 39910/14/2013

They are taking down the Healthcare.gov site between 1 am--5 am this week to make repairs. I would wait until later this week if you want to enroll. They say enrolling over the phone is very easy if you don't want to wait.

If you created an account during the first week and are having problems, you need to create a new account with a new user ID and new email address. The bugs are mostly fixed by doing this. Today I started from scratch and everything worked.

Once through the new account set up, you will verify your account through email (if you wait too long the email link expires) -- get right in there and verify as soon as you get the email.

Limit the data you input to the minimum. For instance you CAN put in social security and other info but you don't need to -- anything marked optional, IGNORE. The fewer things you have to have the system verify the fewer errors possible. You can always go back and add things later when the website is working better, or do it over the phone.

Do as much as you can in one sitting. If you go back another time some data may be lost and you may have to restart. The steps are - account set up, email verification, application, personal ID verification, compare plans, enroll. I went through the entire chain (didn't enroll yet) in 20 minutes. Some bugs but it worked.

by Anonymousreply 40010/14/2013

My company still hasn't started annual enrollment. Is this because of ob care? It's a large corporation. Veddy strange.

by Anonymousreply 40110/17/2013

Here's my experience in Colorado. All applications go to Medicaid first. Medicaid will automatically decline them until January 1 which will trigger an automatic approval depending on your income, regardless of your assets. I was told to call them Dec. 1 if I haven't heard from them by that time.

by Anonymousreply 40210/17/2013

it is kind of maddening, I have registered 5 times. Everytime I get the confirmation email and it says I am registered, then I go to log in and it tells me bad password. So I do the password reset and it sends me an email to reset my password. I click the link and it tells me "no such account exists"

Awesome.

by Anonymousreply 40310/18/2013

R403, Have you setup a new account with a new username and a new email address? The site works good if you do that. Accounts that were setup during the first week are mostly corrupt, so you have to setup a new account with new username and new email.

Also, you need to use Internet Explorer, and make sure you clean out your cache and cookies.

by Anonymousreply 40410/18/2013

Since there is such a mess trying to sign up, what's actually utilizing health insurance going to be like?

by Anonymousreply 40510/18/2013

R405, each individual health insurance company (for example, Blue Cross or UnitedHealthCare) will be administering your health insurance after you have signed up for a particular insurance with a particular company, not the federal government.

by Anonymousreply 40610/18/2013

interesting....

by Anonymousreply 40710/20/2013

Even if you have signed up,how do you know for sure that the insurance company registered you? How would you know which doctors are part of your plan?

by Anonymousreply 40810/20/2013

R408, once you enroll, it shows you the plans offered by insurance companies in your state. You can click on the links for each plan and compare them in terms of what each plan covers and check to see the physicians who are part of the network.

by Anonymousreply 40910/20/2013

R333-

[quote]I've had a personal plan for a decade. It's a 5000 deductible per year and runs about 400 per month. I contribute to an HSA as well...Looking at the ACA site, I believe that I could get a similar policy for about half of my current pricing. Which I will likely switch too, once I do a side by side evaluation...Some of the blatant ignorance here is astounding. Nobody is forcing you to use the ACA site, you can still keep your current individual plans.

Please post your current plan quotes from the site.

Most individual plans have been eliminated.

by Anonymousreply 41010/27/2013

[quote]Part of the problem is that signing up for Obamacare coverage is far more complicated than the online transactions Americans are used to, like checking a bank balance or ordering a book. The Obamacare website must knit together platforms from five huge federal agencies — Homeland Security, the Social Security Administration, HHS, the Treasury Department and the Department of Justice — each of which marches to its own IT specifications. It must also interact with separate systems set up by the 15 states that built their own exchanges, plus all of those outside insurers. It’s an unprecedented experiment in federal information technology.

Why?

Since most people using Healthcare.gov are "computer illiterate" shouldn't the site be designed to be user friendly?

Why is it too complex for the average person?

by Anonymousreply 41110/27/2013

[quote]why are Homeland Security and the Justice Department involved in the healthcare exchange

Yes, why?

by Anonymousreply 41210/27/2013

R394-

Although I LOATHE the evil GOP, I knew that some idiot would blame this on "the other guys" instead of admitting the law was fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 41310/27/2013

R367 & R398-

Any luck with the Kindle?

by Anonymousreply 41410/27/2013

R404-

Please get a job as an Obamacare Assistant and explain to a fibromyalgic 62 year old womyn how to "clear her cache" and "delete her cookies"--- you are just part of the HATERAPE society!

by Anonymousreply 41510/27/2013

R394 is correct. We're getting third rate health care for first rate prices, and that's a step up!

by Anonymousreply 41610/27/2013

[quote]Most individual plans have been eliminated.

No they haven't, which is why you can't defend this particular bit of bullshit anymore than you can the rest of the drive you've spewed here.

by Anonymousreply 41710/27/2013

r415 is insane. troll dar it and see.

by Anonymousreply 41810/28/2013

What is shitty about this is that if you are low income according to the ACA, you get not only a low premium, but lower deductibles and out of pocket expenses than higher income but still middle class people.

Example: if you are single and make $50k, you can't afford a $400 a month premium, a $1500 deductible and a $4800 max out of pocket any more than someone who makes $20k can. But you have to pay much more for shittier insurance than the $20k person gets.

I get the premium subsidies, but the insurers should have been forced to offer genuinely decent plans for full freight payers.

And I haven't seen a single Platinum plan offered anywhere - I'm in the Washington exchange - and no explanation why either on the site or anywhere else on the internet. I'd probably buy one because I have health issues I'd rather pay premiums for than have giant hospital bills on top of premiums.

Where are these platinum plans?

by Anonymousreply 41910/28/2013

link, r419.

by Anonymousreply 42010/28/2013

WTF LinK....he is speaking his experience.

by Anonymousreply 42110/28/2013

Link to something that shows:

"if you are single and make $50k, you can't afford a $400 a month premium, a $1500 deductible and a $4800 max out of pocket any more than someone who makes $20k can. But you have to pay much more for shittier insurance than the $20k person gets."

by Anonymousreply 42210/28/2013

bullshit

by Anonymousreply 42410/28/2013

Go look at the Washington Health Plan Finder, r422. Are you able to use Google to get there yourself, or do you need assistance with that?

Once you get there, here's a ZIP code to use: 98101.

Play with the numbers. You do understand how to use a form, right? Or do you need help with that?

by Anonymousreply 42510/28/2013

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it... for anyone who says they "can't afford" something, please show me how much you spend on other things that you think are more important than health insurance. Other than basics like food (not eating out), rent, basic clothing, and expenses related to work, I can't think of too many things that qualify.

by Anonymousreply 42610/28/2013

[quote] I get the premium subsidies, but the insurers should have been forced to offer genuinely decent plans for full freight payers.

r419 here. I want to clarify this statement. I mean I *understand* the premium subsidies. I don't qualify for them because I make more than $70k. But, I just went through an expensive health crisis last year and my insurance was more or less the same as a "silver" policy. It nearly wiped me out, because I'm self employed and couldn't work for a few months, and the giant deduction I was actually able to take only helped a bit.

Now, I support the idea of the ACA, but I don't think it goes far enough. The premiums I currently pay for my shitty private non-ACA plan would only pay for an even shittier "Bronze" plan now. The ACA makes it more affordable for me to buy a "Gold" plan, which was totally out of reach before, but I'm still out more money. And I'll do that because I had the experience of being nearly wiped out by deductibles, co-insurance, over-UCR charges, and other sneaky ways insurance companies avoid paying for anything. And because now I have a pre-existing condition.

But I have lots of friends in the $50-$70k range who would be utterly devastated by the deductibles they'd have to pay under this sliding scale approach, and most of them would have to choose a bronze or silver plan because they cannot afford that extra $150 a month to get a lower deductible.

I guess it's really easy to sit in Washington and ignore the fact that $50k is no longer a middle class income. After all, it's not like the government uses any sort of meaningful approach to inflation or the rise in the cost of living. I don't know anyone who makes $50k who has any savings at all, or who doesn't live in dread of their car making a funny noise or their kid needing orthodontics.

Putting a sliding scale on deductible levels in addition to premium levels just shows that this was a big gift not only to the insurers, but to the big hospital and healthcare chains, who would have otherwise had to write down the bills of insured lower income people, like they do now. It creates no incentive to contain health care costs because now somebody will pay.

Who? Me, and every other "wealthy" insured who makes it 400% above the poverty level.

by Anonymousreply 42710/28/2013

‘HealthCare.gov is in De Facto Shutdown’

WaPo's Ezra Klein talks to Robert Laszewski is president of Health Policy and Strategy Associates:

Ezra Klein: We last talked about 10 days ago. So in the interim, what are your insurance industry sources saying has changed on HealthCare.gov?

Bob Laszewski: Really nothing. There are two sides to this coin. The numbers of people enrolling and then the problems in processing enrollment information between federal government and insurance companies. If I were spinning for the White House I would say enrollment is up 50 percent! But that’s because it’s up from like 10 a day to 15 a day. I haven’t talked to large insurers seeing more than 100 enrollments a day. On the backdoor, the 834 connections, I had one client tell me they saw some improvement in the error rate, so I checked with three other clients, and they said they hadn’t seen any improvement.

EK: So most people can’t actually buy insurance through the Web site yet, and those who can may not be sending the right data to insurers?

BL: I almost have the sense that HealthCare.gov is in de facto shutdown. Here’s why: Government has to fix the back end before the front end. The demand here is real. I don’t think anyone can dispute that millions of people want to sign up. So if they fix the front end for consumers and thousands of people or hundreds of thousands of people being enrolled before they fix the back end, we’ll have a catastrophic mess.

When insurers are getting 10 or 20 or 50 enrollments a day they can clean the errors up manually. But they can’t do that for thousands of enrollments a day. They have to automate at some point. So I think the Obama administration doesn’t want to cross the red line to shut the system down, but I think this is effectively a shutdown in which they don’t say they’ve shut it down but it basically is shut down. EK: What about using the phone number?

BL: Telling people to call the 1-800 number isn’t any good either. The government has to transmit the enrollment information over the computer system to the insurer anyway.

The other problem with signing up over the phone is that in most states consumers will have five or six or seven or eight insurance companies each offering at least five or six plans. The typical person will be faced with 30 to 50 plan options. I don’t know how a consumer can have a conversation about which plan is best for them over the phone.

by Anonymousreply 42810/28/2013

[bold]Only 6 People Enrolled In Obamacare On First Day[/bold]

EPIC FAIL!

by Anonymousreply 42911/01/2013

A friend in Jackson Heights called the New York Health Exchange. His Manhattan doctor of 20 years is not on their list. Was told he has to sign-up with a plan in Queens "because that's where you live."

by Anonymousreply 43012/06/2013

His Manhattan doctor isn't in ANY plan in the NY exchange? Unbelievable.

If I understand you correctly, you misunderstand your friend, or he misunderstood the Exchange Rep, or the Exchange Rep misunderstood...oh I give up.

Tell your friend it's not true, and to try again. Jeeze!

by Anonymousreply 43112/06/2013

nice try r430.

by Anonymousreply 43212/06/2013

R429: Durp. The system was having problems. It's working fine now.

by Anonymousreply 43312/06/2013

R433-

No, it's still fucked.

by Anonymousreply 43412/08/2013

As we noted last month, President Obama sat down for an interview with Chuck Todd on November 7 and said:

You know, one of the lessons — learned from this whole process on the website — is that probably the biggest gap between the private sector and the federal government is when it comes to I.T. … Well, the reason is is that when it comes to my campaign, I’m not constrained by a bunch of federal procurement rules, right? …When we buy I.T. services generally, it is so bureaucratic and so cumbersome that a whole bunch of it doesn’t work or it ends up being way over cost.

Well, this week we learned that the gap’s been closed. The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) told us so. In its official, December 1 “Progress and Performance Report” on the Obamacare website, HHS not only announced that it had “met the goal of having a system that will work smoothly for the vast majority of users,” but wrote that “the team is operating with private sector velocity and effectiveness.” That sure was quick.

Sarcasm aside, we found it hard to read HHS’s eight page document without cringing. Needless to say, it’s not a genuine “progress and performance” report. It’s not even close.

Consider that shortly after accepting his position as website czar in October, Jeffrey Zientz let us know that he’s working from a list of problems on a “punch list,” which included over 100 issues according to an anonymous spokesperson. Zientz added that the system’s failure to deliver accurate reports to insurance companies was at the top of the list. This seems a reasonable prioritization, right? If the exchange can’t deliver the necessary information to insurance companies, the whole process collapses. But HHS’s report doesn’t even mention this critical problem.

And how about measures to protect website users’ personal information, which are widely reported to be full of holes? Again, not a word.

You won’t find expense figures, either, which is unfortunate in light of Bloomberg’s analysis showing that the largest 10 contractors were already paid an astounding $1 billion. Considering the administration’s private sector aspirations, the absence of any information on the website’s soaring costs seems a conspicuous omission.

Instead of checking off accomplishments against what still needs fixing, while revealing the taxpayers’ bill, HHS’s report combines vacuous “achievements” such as “2X a day standup war room meetings” with unverifiable statistics for response times, capacity, error rates, uptime and software fixes. The report reads like a baseball team’s declaration of success on its spring training goals of learning each others’ names, knowing which base is which and memorizing the infield fly rule. We don’t doubt there’s been some improvement in the metrics, but it’s unlikely that the last two months’ progress gets the website to much better than inadequate, from its earlier status of epically inadequate.

by Anonymousreply 43512/08/2013

Worse still, HHS seems to think we take their propaganda seriously. Displaying #AskJPM-like ignorance of how the administration is perceived, they act as if we believe what we’re told. On the contrary, there seems only a shrinking minority of loyalists who still trust the official narratives, as shown by Obama’s plummeting approval ratings. Those who weren’t predisposed to disbelieve empty rhetoric probably tuned out at “you can keep your plan if you like it.”

And while we may never know the true extent of the administration’s deceptions, here are a few links to information that Zientz doesn’t want you to have:

CNN reports that “the White House is exerting massive pressure on the industry, including the trade associations to keep quiet … insurance executive feel defenseless against the White House PR team … the insurance companies are in a position to just be quiet for fear of offending basically their biggest source of income.”

In one of what we suspect are multiple methods of inflating its enrollment counts, HHS flouts industry standards by including “enrollees” who didn’t complete the process by continuing to the payment step. This detail is, of course, absent from official reports. (It was shared with the Washington Post by anonymous sources.)

Prior to and immediately after the website’s October 1 launch, HHS head Karen Sebelius kept a close wrap on all sorts of critical information, including the website’s developmental progress, initial effectiveness, the true reasons for its early breakdowns, and expenses (which were only revealed through Bloomberg’s analysis linked above and other third-party estimates).

This last link comes off as a total non sequitur, but I’ll share it anyway because I read the NSA’s Thanksgiving memo on the same day as HHS’s report and it was the combination of these two gems that motivated me to get this post out. As discussed here by Tyler Durden and Monty Pelerin, there’s a common thread running through this year’s Obamacare and NSA revelations. In case you missed the NSA’s latest, the institution’s leaders took it upon themselves to guide employees on how they should speak with friends and family over the holidays. Just when I thought we’d reached peak weirdness with NSA head Keith Alexander’s Starship Enterprise control room designs and porn use monitoring, the information gets even weirder.

by Anonymousreply 43612/08/2013

Getting back to the administration’s claim to have closed the gap between public and private sector effectiveness, here are relevant links to a few articles about the key players involved:

The firm that was awarded the new general contractor role for the website, QSSI, was quietly purchased (no press releases were issued) in 2012 by our largest health insurance firm, UnitedHealth Group. This occurred not long after a top HHS health care regulator took a new position at the UnitedHealth subsidiary that acquired QSSI. As you might expect, it triggered congressional inquiries about the glaring conflicts of interest, which changed nothing. QSSI was granted its enlarged role despite complicity in the website’s launch disaster and serious questions about its ability to protect sensitive data, as demonstrated by an HHS Inspector General audit earlier this year.

UnitedHealth Executive Vice President Andrew Welters and his family are big-time donors and fundraisers for Obama, with OpenSecrets.org reporting amounts of between $500,000 and $1,000,000. Welter’s wife was rewarded with a plush ambassadorship to Trinidad and Tobago. Maybe we can fill in the blanks on Welter’s reward.

White House visitor logs show a series of appearances in recent years by Toni Townes-Whitley, a senior executive at CGI Federal, the firm with the largest website contract until QSSI’s recent mandate. These visits were both professional and personal, weekday and weekend, and one of them included a photo with the Obama’s at a Christmas gathering. The professional visits were surely related to CGI Federal’s government business and included a meeting with the principal deputy Obamacare commissioner. The personal visits were explained by Townes-Whitley and Michelle Obama being old college friends, having graduated from Princeton in the same year with involvement in the same extra-curricular groups.

Among many recent reports of CGI Federal’s shortcomings, Newsweek published an article that includes details of “potentially aggressive bookkeeping,” “weak disclosure practices,” a whistleblower suit alleging violations of SEC fraud rules, and botched government contracts in its AMS unit. In the bigger picture of all outsourced Obamacare contracts, the Sunlight foundation showed that the disastrous launch may be explained by the fact that the work was divvied up among 47 contractors, all but one of which was known to the government through past mandates. Disclosures by 17 of those contractors reveal that their lobbying expenses in 2011 and 2012 totaled $128 million.

Reviewing these facts, I suppose HHS could support their claim to “private sector velocity and effectiveness” with some semantic tricks. If you interpret that phrase as referring to the principle contractors’ adeptness at winning huge, no-bid contracts through personal connections, donations, fund raising and lobbying, then it all adds up.

by Anonymousreply 43712/08/2013

No one wants the ACA to fail. If "free" health care for all was available, only psychos would deny it.

Reality, though, is full of trade off situations.

For a "family" making $60k/yr the premiums under the ACA are nearly $20K/yr. Very few, if any, will be stupid enough to pay. The subsidies are a joke.

by Anonymousreply 43812/08/2013

Link

by Anonymousreply 43912/08/2013

Anyone from Massachusetts? The rumor is that Romney's version of affordable care works well, is that true for you?

by Anonymousreply 44012/08/2013

Obamacare was invented by the Right. Thanks to this disaster, Americans will never go for single-payer. It's proving to them that government screws everything up and can't be depended upon. Dems are almost screwed in keeping the Senate over this. They won't get the House. If Obama thinks he has problems now, just wait until he has a Tea Party Congess!

This rollout is an astronomical failure. It should have never happened. His legacy depends upon it and he doesn't get the best to work on it and doesn't test it himself first?? WTF is wrong with him?

by Anonymousreply 44112/08/2013

You are so full of shit, R441.

by Anonymousreply 44212/08/2013

That's me, I'm from Massachusetts! Romneycare works great! Almost everybody in the state has insurance now!

At my last job, I worked for a medical insurance company that insured itself. As I started working there, thought I'd be getting the gold standard for insurance. Instead, we had the kind of insurance that everybody complains about and has nightmare stories about. After I left there, I dropped their coverage immediately, rather than continue in COBRA, and signed-up for Romneycare. I was very happy with the coverage I selected, though it was very expensive, but not so bad as to be unaffordable.

We're all very happy with Romneycare, and I think it will be good for the country.

by Anonymousreply 44312/08/2013

[quote] "government screws everything up and can't be depended on"

I can't understand where this thinking comes from. Romneycare is working great. Medicare is a very efficient government run health care insurance plan. The VA has a popular healthcare delivery system.

The government does plenty that work well. Not everything, but plenty. If you just focus on the negative, the things that don't work, but ignore the positive, then you're drawing conclusions based on personal bias.

by Anonymousreply 44412/08/2013

[quote]government screws everything up and can't be depended on

It's funny how the people who parrot this nonsense love the US Military and trust it and depend on it completely.

by Anonymousreply 44512/09/2013

I called the phone number on Thursday while simultaneously looking at the available plans on their website.

Be aware the operators are not very well versed on specific details of the various plans but they are very patient and do try to walk you through the process.

I had previously entered my info at healthcare.gov to get an idea of premiums and available coverage. I had no problems whatsoever trying to navigate the site and I found the set-up (from Bronze to Platinum coverage) very easy to access and research.

I must say though, when I went to look at specific details of my chosen plan, I found that the deductible shown at healthcare.gov was incorrect for my specific plan. The actual annual deductible was much higher.

by Anonymousreply 44712/21/2013

Not that it matters to you bitches, but I'm the one eating beans and rice. So the update on the health insurance matter for us - 2 adults.

Now that the Pres has backflipped, we qualify for catastrophic, which is about $600 a month, but still it's actually WORSE than our $399 plan, higher deductibles, only 3x to the doctor, higher to see a physician. The GOLD plan was closer to what we had truly. $30 unlimited dr visits, including urgent care & a $5k deductible.

So, we're probably going to forego insurance, at least for now. Save some money, decide later. Also the penalty is gone too.

We'll pay for the doctors on our CC when we need to use them. We're healthy, we eat right, we exercise.

by Anonymousreply 44912/21/2013

Oh and I forgot to add, BSOC (Blue Shield) canceled us and today, in the mail, told us we OWE THEM for January - for a plan they PUT US INTO WITHOUT OUR PERMISSION.

High rates. Fuck them. I can't wait till Monday when I phone BS and tell them to FUCK OFF, we're not paying their stinking premiums, EVER.

by Anonymousreply 45012/21/2013

r449, that's what I used to say. Then I developed a brain tumor, had to have emergency brain surgery and was presented with a bill for $139,000. Don't fool around with this if you don't have to.

by Anonymousreply 45112/21/2013

r451 - if I/we get a brain tumor we'll sign up for the Platinum plan. Until then it's forget it.

by Anonymousreply 45212/21/2013

Not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 45312/21/2013

You realize that premiums are in general around 15% higher in red-states where Republican governors/governments rejected Medicaid expansion and failed to set up exchanges, right?

If you're in a Red state and your premiums look to be too high... make sure you're blaming the right people here.

by Anonymousreply 45412/21/2013

If you qualify for tax breaks, are they applied immediately to your monthly premium?

by Anonymousreply 45512/21/2013

[quote]I've had a personal plan for a decade. It's a 5000 deductible per year and runs about 400 per month. I contribute to an HSA as well...Looking at the ACA site, I believe that I could get a similar policy for about half of my current pricing. Which I will likely switch too, once I do a side by side evaluation...Some of the blatant ignorance here is astounding. Nobody is forcing you to use the ACA site, you can still keep your current individual plans.

Please post your current status.

It seems that less than half of the people are actually enrolled.

by Anonymousreply 45612/21/2013

R412-

[quote]why are Homeland Security and the Justice Department involved in the healthcare exchange

Why indeed. Orwell was an oracle. Our government is evil and out of control.

by Anonymousreply 45712/22/2013

[quote]Most individual plans have been eliminated.

This was R415s reply----- No they haven't, which is why you can't defend this particular bit of bullshit anymore than you can the rest of the drive you've

Now that Obama has apologized about the hundreds of thousands of cancelled policies, you are the one who looks like a fool.

by Anonymousreply 45812/22/2013

R458-

Please google

Economicpolicyjournal.Com or lewrockwell.com

by Anonymousreply 45912/22/2013

Libertarian/freeper shitstain R446/448/456/457/458/459 is busy bumping old threads and posting away. Must be getting paid by the post.

by Anonymousreply 46012/22/2013

R441---

"Obamacare was invented by the Right."

So that means Obama is a right winger?

Please grow the fuck up.

Our government is evil, both Left and Right, Rethug or Demon- and exists to enrich and empower the elite 0.1%

by Anonymousreply 46112/22/2013

R461 = tediously ignorant false equivalency troll.

by Anonymousreply 46212/22/2013

Unfortunately, the liers have taken over, so you can't believe anything that is critical of the ACA, because there is so much made-up nonsense posted here. Even the first-person testimony is completely fabricated.

by Anonymousreply 46312/22/2013

[quote]Government ALWAYS fucks it up.

This is just as idiotic and untrue as "Private companies NEVER fuck it up"

You completely discredit everything you say with bullshit nonsense like that.

by Anonymousreply 46512/22/2013

Even left liberals are coming to realize that Obamacare is fatally flawed. Perhaps this is because fewer people will be insured at the end of the year, under Obamacare, than at the beginning of the year as insurers are forced to drop coverage. Stories of such cancellations to cancer-stricken children certainly don’t help matters. For a program whose expressed purpose is to bring insurance to more people, this irony seems even too much for the interventionists to stomach.

Obamacare’s negative effects, however, are simply a microcosm of government policy in general. Virtually all well-intended (assuming they are in fact well-intended) government policies bring negative unintended consequences that hurt the very people they intend to serve. The prevalence of this paradox, called iatrogenics (originally used in the medical context to refer to doctors’ actions that hurt patients), should give pause to those who favor government intervention to solve societal problems.

Take rent control policies, for example, intended to make housing more accessible to those with lower incomes. In reality these policies shrink the amount of available housing because potential landlords have less incentive to rent out, and developers have less incentive to build new, units. As a result, less housing is available for those with lower incomes. Just look at the apartment shortage in New York or San Francisco, the two cities with the most stringent rent-control policies, for proof.

This process of iatrogenics also exists in financial regulation. Polemicist Nassim Taleb has illustrated how increased financial regulation intended to prevent another financial crisis has actually made one more likely. Regulations entrust the fate of the financial system to a handful of big banks because they are the only ones who can afford to comply with them. This consolidation of power among the big banks makes the financial system riskier because if one of these few banks fails the damage will be much greater to the economy than from the failure of one small bank among many. “These attempts to eliminate the business cycle,” says Taleb, “lead to the mother of all fragilities.”

In terms of protecting society’s most economically disadvantaged, sociologist Charles Murray chronicles, most recently in his bestseller Coming Apart, how the federal government’s war on poverty paradoxically hurts the poor. He explains that though welfare benefits are well intentioned, what they in effect do is pay people to stay poor, hurting the very people they intend to help. These misaligned incentives are a leading reason why $15 trillion in welfare spending over the past 50 years has perversely resulted in a 50-year-high poverty rate of 15.1 percent.

by Anonymousreply 46612/26/2013

Obamacare is not a disaster because a critical web site doesn’t work. That operational failure is a good thing, assuming that people learn from it the larger lessons that government can’t do anything right and that they should reject government control in the health industries and by extension all other industries too. If this failure causes a higher and permanent degree of discontent with government, then it is a good thing.

Obamacare is a disaster insofar as the ideas used to justify it have been or are spread through America and are accepted. The real and ongoing disaster of Obamacare is its acceptance as a good thing, apart from the operational issues it has experienced.

Obamacare is premised on the centralization and monopolization of health care via legislation, the very opposite of free markets. Its passage, however engineered, and Supreme Court endorsement, however slim, signal a government that believes, contrary to ample theory and experience in other nations, that the exercise of centralized and uncompetitive government power is superior to the exercise of decentralized people power operating through free markets competitively. Obamacare’s passage was the triumph of irrational power over the rationality of markets operating through prices and private decisions over property and resources. If Obamacare should be patched up and remain, that would signal the continuing and necessary irrationality that always accompanies legislative dominance.

Obamacare appealed to many supporters because of their vain hopes of providing health care for all on some sort of equal access to health care. These people are willing to use force to achieve their objective. They have not learned the lesson that means become ends. Emma Goldman who went to Russia in the 1920s and saw what government force meant there explained clearly in her books that means (government coercion) become ends (power exercised for the sake of power or for ends like wars). Many liberals and progressives of today haven’t learned the lesson she taught. Consequently, many find themselves supporting government power per se, not only for Obamacare but for the empire’s wars.

by Anonymousreply 46712/29/2013

They will never admit that Obamacare is a failure.

by Anonymousreply 46812/29/2013

[quote]So that means Obama is a right winger?

Yes, he is. He is just a tool for the elite bankers.

by Anonymousreply 46912/29/2013

R468, why would anyone "admit" something that isn't true?

by Anonymousreply 47012/29/2013

R471 = misinformed tin-hat conspiracy moron, DESPERATELY trying to make the good guys bad, and the bad guys good, because he has so much invested in the bad guys.

by Anonymousreply 47201/01/2014

I was the Kindle user trying to set up a profile back in Oct. I never was able to finish it on the Kindle, but after a few failed attempts on the site, I finally called a navigator and she was wonderful. She successfully got the system to recognize my subsidy amount, and I enrolled in a Blue Cross silver plan with a $200 deductible for $50 a month. Now I can actually get a much needed and overdue MRI without having to stay awake all night wondering how I'll pay for the out of pocket expense. I love my POTUS!

by Anonymousreply 47301/22/2014
Need more help? Click Here.