Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ditching Contracted Services

After several years of struggling after getting laid off a couple of times and trying to get back on my feet, I've been trying to do away with any kind of service that requires a contract and look for cheaper alternatives since I don't want to be stuck with a service I can't downgrade when things get hard financially.

I dropped Directv when my contact was up and switched to Netflix and Hulu.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do about the cell phone. Contract is up. I'm tired of paying $80 a month for 450 minutes and unlimited data.

Any suggestions as to what a good alternative would be? I'm over the whole cell phone thing as it is.

Any other recommendations for companies that provide a decent service at a decent price and don't lock you into a service contract?

by Anonymousreply 2812/08/2013

Buy an unlocked phone and go online to T-mobile and get their $30 per month pre-paid sim card. 100 minutes talk time and unlimited text and data.

It is the cheapest around. As for unlocked phones, if you want a high end phone that's reasonably priced, wait for the Nexus 5 from Google. It is coming out next month.

by Anonymousreply 109/25/2013

I have used straight talk for over 4 years. Great service. Never had a problem. They have a $30/month plan. No contract... It includes 1,000 minutes, 1,000 texts and internet.

by Anonymousreply 209/25/2013

See if you can bundle TV cable, land line voice-over-internet telephone and internet into one package deal with your cable company. That is what I do and it saves me a fortune. The cell phone is a waste of money. We lived without them before and life is beautiful without them now, only we are inclined to forget that.

by Anonymousreply 309/25/2013

There's Virgin Mobile, too. Don't do ATT's GoPhone or Verizon's no-contract service. They're evil.

by Anonymousreply 409/25/2013

R2, T-Mobile is the last company I would ever do business with. I used to work for them and they dumped anybody who had been with them for any length of time when the proposed merger with ATT was in process. Their service sucks in my area.

R4, currently using ATT. Looked at their GoPhone website and they won't let me port my number so they;re out.

R3, whose network does Straight Talk use?

by Anonymousreply 609/25/2013

Straight talk uses t-mobile and at & t wireless. You can use the Sim in any gsm phone that is unlocked.

by Anonymousreply 709/25/2013

You don't really need a cell phone, you know.

by Anonymousreply 809/25/2013

If you need a storage unit, you have too much stuff. Get rid of some of it.

by Anonymousreply 1709/25/2013

OP I wish you lotsa $€£

by Anonymousreply 1809/25/2013

OP, you can get a landline for $30 or $35 per month.

Who would be your landline provider in your town or city?

For example, if it is Centurylink, you would go to centurylink.com and look at the costs of their landlines.

There are NO CONTRACTS for landline phones. You can cancel at any time.

You can get a landline for even lower than $30 or $35, if you agree to a limited number of calls.

by Anonymousreply 1909/25/2013

Ugh do not use Centurylink, absolutely the worst company and service ever.

by Anonymousreply 2109/25/2013

Has anyone used Consumer Cellular? It's an American company and seems to be dirt cheap.

by Anonymousreply 2412/07/2013

Charter was increasing my bill from $165 for cable, internet, and land-line phone (under an old contract deal) to $228/mo. I went to their local office with my cable box, and said I no longer wanted DVR services and the premium channels. The customer service rep said those changes would bring my bill back to about $183. I countered that was unacceptable, and that maybe I just needed to cut out everything but internet.

Internet alone was about $60. The rep checked and said that for $115 she could give me Cable without the premiums, Phone and Internet. So about $55 for TV and phone. I took the deal. When the services are bundled, it is hard to say no to cable. If I did just the internet and the phone, it would be as much as the bundled deal.

by Anonymousreply 2512/08/2013

I have an Android smart phone. I use Virgin Mobile and pay $35 a month for 300 talk minutes and unlimited data and texting. Virgin uses Sprint's network. I have had Virgin for 10 years, I think. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 2612/08/2013

I cut the cords so to speak years ago.

I only have broadband internet. I negotiated a 40 a month deal for 15 mbs down 5 up with my cable company. With that I use OOMA as my phone service (have for years). I paid 120 for the device and never paid a phone bill after that. I pay for the premier for 99 a year so 8 bucks a month I pay for phone service with every extra, caller id, call waiting, voice mail, call forwarding, three way calling, voice mail notification in email, web management of phone, voice mail etc.

I have hulu Plus, Netflix and Amazon prime - so 24 a month for my tv needs - all delivered over cable. Oh I also get basic cable included in my internet so I get all networks in HD over cable.

My cell I went with TMO 30 a month plan. 100 minuets to talk, unlimited text and data. All no contract.

so I pay

40 month internet and basic cable 24 month hulu plus, netflix, amazon 8 month ooma phone service 30 a month cell

that is 102 a month total for all my services....I was paying more than that just for Digital Cable.

by Anonymousreply 2712/08/2013

"100 minuets to talk"

That sounds exhausting!!

by Anonymousreply 2812/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.