Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Magnificent Masculinity of Beatrice Arthur

She was one of the most fabulous trannies on television!!! Let's celebrate her looks, especially those fabulous pantsuits.

by Anonymousreply 5609/26/2013

When Maude started did people genuinely think Bea was a transsexual? I know it was a joke but was there ever any real speculation back when she first became a famous TV star?

by Anonymousreply 109/25/2013

You mean Bigfoot?

by Anonymousreply 209/25/2013

Transsexuals weren't very widespread in the 70s, R1. Bea also had a long established film and theater career, so it's not like her early life was a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 309/25/2013

She was a former marine into dramatics.

by Anonymousreply 409/25/2013

R4 I guess this shows how different attitudes and the press was in the 70s compared to today with the internet. If someone recognised a former Marine they worked with starring in a big TV show today, it would probably be all over the press within days. Lots of Marines who were there at the same time as Bea must have recognised her when Maude became a big hit but they clearly never even thought to go the newspapers.

by Anonymousreply 509/25/2013

Because, R5, she was not a Marine.

by Anonymousreply 609/25/2013

When I first looked at the pic of Bea Arthur above, I thought it was an older Max van Essen with a wig. Separated at Birth?

by Anonymousreply 709/25/2013

Bea used to come in the DL many, many years ago and she posted. A troll started attacking her in here. She could not believe her gay fans could be so cruel and didn't understand it was just one nut. She cried about it, left the DL and never came back. The troll cannot leave her alone - even in death. Don't forget the money she left to car charities.

by Anonymousreply 809/25/2013

That was never in the least confirmed, r8. Let me guess, you also think the real Meryl Streep was posting here that one Thanksgiving?

by Anonymousreply 909/25/2013

R9, she sent me a drumstick!

by Anonymousreply 1009/25/2013

The Bea Arthur/tranny jokes have worn out their welcome. There was another thread about Bea Arthur's personal style that was fun and funny without being personally insulting.

OP, you are a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 1109/25/2013

R8, car charities? She was butch indeed. Why do cars need charities?

by Anonymousreply 1209/25/2013

I meant gay

by Anonymousreply 1309/25/2013

Are the stories about Bea ejaculating on Betty White's face true??

by Anonymousreply 1409/25/2013

Not funny. Just boring.

by Anonymousreply 1509/25/2013

Rose, do a big, ugly man a favour & shut up.

by Anonymousreply 1609/25/2013

Would it have been awful to have her as Mrs Madrigal in Tales Of The City?

by Anonymousreply 1709/25/2013

She would've made a more believeable Edgar Halcyon.

by Anonymousreply 1809/25/2013

Did anyone see the musical she headlined after MAME. It closed on the road. I'd say never headlining a Broadway musical was a regret for her.

by Anonymousreply 1909/25/2013

I never met her but I understand she was a good and kind person. I don't understand what she did to become the butt of jokes on the DataLounge. The internet is a cruel and a nasty place - bullying is rampant. People kill themselves over stuff like this. Well, I suppose she's already dead so you can't hurt her. OP - what's the thrill in doing this? What's your motivation?

by Anonymousreply 2009/25/2013

R20, those kind of jokes were constant on gg, so I don't think Bea had any problem with them, certainly not suicidal over it. Calm your tits.

by Anonymousreply 2109/25/2013

For heaven's sake, even the GG writers were constantly making fun of her "masculine" qualities, so why can't we?

by Anonymousreply 2209/25/2013

It's just cruel. People make these excuses for bullying all the time. I don't buy it. I think it's wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2309/25/2013

OP would you agree that making cruel jokes about others is wrong?

by Anonymousreply 2409/25/2013

R23, then put a stop to it.

by Anonymousreply 2509/25/2013

OP, maybe you should focus your sharp wit on some homophobic a-hole like Putin, rather than an dead ally.

by Anonymousreply 2609/25/2013

She didn't wear pants suits as much as long, bulky skirted outfits with great blouson pants. I'm not sure what they were hiding, but they worked. She also wore enormous suede boots that went up mid-leg or else very flimsy stylish sandals, with no hint of a heel. She was that tall. She always looked like her feet hurt something awful, which may have been true. Cross dresser or not she was sui generis.

by Anonymousreply 2709/25/2013

Jealousy is an ugly thing Dorothy. And sui are you in anything backless.

by Anonymousreply 2809/25/2013

Blanche: The chain accentuates the folds in that turkey-like neck.

Rose: True, but pearls draw attention to the non-existent bosom.

Blanche: Yes, but chain draws the eye down to that huge spare tire jutting out over those square, manly hips.

Dorothy: Why don't I just wear a sign that says "Too ugly to live"

Blanche: OK, but will you wear it around the chain or the pearls?

by Anonymousreply 2909/25/2013

Bea was one of those rare actors, who could with one look say more than thousand words.

by Anonymousreply 3009/25/2013

Rose: Strong, tall, & handsome, and now she has a man!

by Anonymousreply 3109/25/2013

r8/ r15/ r20/ r23/ r24/ r26, why do you keep posting the same thing over and over again as if you were different people? Do you not understand how troll-dar works?

p.s.--I'm sure this thread was a parody of the thread entitled "The magnificent masculinity of Anthony Recker."

by Anonymousreply 3209/25/2013

What a revolting thread. Probably started by some stereotypical faggot with a Mommy complex.

by Anonymousreply 3309/25/2013

Apart from the trolling nitwit and the lack of need for another thread about the fabulously handsome Arthur, B., she actually looked like a typical suburban Catholic mother of four with too much intelligence for her life, thyroid issues, and a lousy ungiving husband. I see them all the time - the hair, the facial expression, the sturdy demeanor and near-avuncular bearing - and the swallowed rage.

by Anonymousreply 3409/25/2013

R34, that's a very colorful and accurate description.

She always reminded me of two nuns from my high school days.

by Anonymousreply 3509/25/2013

People. Did Estelle Getty and Bea Arthur ever seem like mother and daughter, let alone Italian-Americans? I thought it was a genuine stretch of casting, but it somehow didn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 3609/25/2013

I don't think she was amused at the Pamela Anderson roast when Jeff Ross said "I wouldn't fuck Bea Arthur's dick with Andy Dick's pussy". She left early.

by Anonymousreply 3709/25/2013

"p.s.--I'm sure this thread was a parody of the thread entitled 'The magnificent masculinity of Anthony Recker.'"

Correct.

by Anonymousreply 3809/25/2013

I prefer atomics to dramatics.

by Anonymousreply 3909/25/2013

Bea was a GODDESS!

by Anonymousreply 4009/25/2013

Is this masculine?

by Anonymousreply 4109/25/2013

Very nice R34.

by Anonymousreply 4209/25/2013

Jeff Ross may have said that, but the one I remember is the Jerry Stiller Roast, when Ross said, "I wouldn't fuck Sandra Bernhardt with Bea Arthur's dick."

by Anonymousreply 4309/25/2013

I thought she was Jewish. Anyway, that sounds like Phyllis Diller also.

by Anonymousreply 4409/25/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4509/25/2013

R36, wasn't that the joke? That someone so big could have come from someone so little. Also the fact the little one exercised so much control over the big own. Estelle Getty said she thought that was the reason her character was so popular with kids.

For the record I also find this thread disheartening -- not because I don't like a laugh at some idiot celebrity's expense but because none of the witticisms here are remotely funny, just stale and dull. Also because she was so talented and so deeply sympathetic to the misery of bullied and outcast gay teens. It's weird that so many posters here of all places push the idea that if you can't fit into a certain slot, you're worthless -- victims becoming oppressors as soon as they get the chance.

by Anonymousreply 4609/26/2013

Nicely said, r46.

by Anonymousreply 4709/26/2013

Oh r46, lighten the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 4809/26/2013

[quote] if you can't fit into a certain slot, you're worthless --

Oh, yes. That's EXACTLY what people mean when they make fun of Bea's butch quality.

by Anonymousreply 4909/26/2013

Hey r49 are you related to Esther Rolle?

by Anonymousreply 5009/26/2013

Obnoxious jerks always are the first ones to say "lighten up," r48.

by Anonymousreply 5109/26/2013

Then it's amazing you didn't say it first, r51. You're the one who keeps prissily scolding people and hurling insults at everyone.

by Anonymousreply 5209/26/2013

I always wondered why you NEVER EVER saw her legs, or even a small portion of them EXCEPT on that episode when they went to the nudist colony and they were hiding behind the giant hearts.

by Anonymousreply 5309/26/2013

She dressed like a great big fat person.

by Anonymousreply 5409/26/2013

R54 = Jame Gumb

by Anonymousreply 5509/26/2013

R46's twat is in such a knot it would take Alexander the Great to provide the room for a tinkle.

Managing to shit all over posters here for numerous offenses while humorlessly, leadenly and creepily referring to the subject of the thread as an "idiot celebrity" while rightly praising Bea's work. Such confusion usually stems from personal issues, leading to the kind of moldy, "disheartened" kind of assessment that is just an imitation of something she heard from her grandmother when she wore jeans too tight for her big ass.

In other words, air your panties somewhere else. You offer nothing here except, "You're not funny and I wouldn't laugh at you anyway and HOW DARE YOU make fun of a person who had many good traits."

This is the DL, not the punching bag for your personal impotence.

by Anonymousreply 5609/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.