Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Kurt Cobain Thread

For those of us not over 50. Let's talk growing up in the 90s. I got in a fight in Physics with a girl who thought Pearl Jam was a better band than Nirvana. Ah, 1995.

I need tons of 1990s anecdotes!

by Anonymousreply 3112/24/2013

I was more a Brit pop girl. The grunge thing was kind of lame. It just sounded like more shitty metal to me and since all the ratty metalheads switched to Alice in Chains and all that garbage, I think I was right. I did like Bleach and Nevermind but then they sort of lost me.

by Anonymousreply 109/24/2013

I miss Brit Pop.

by Anonymousreply 209/24/2013

Someone on DL actually took Physics?

by Anonymousreply 309/24/2013

I liked 90s music but not so much 90s fashion. I'm a female and was a teen at that time and was a total prisspot who wanted to look like a girl and I did not care for the flannel shirts and all that crap.

I still remember where I was standing in my house when my dad was reading the paper and told me River Phoenix died. Ugh. He was so hot. (River Phoenix , not my dad).

by Anonymousreply 709/24/2013

I totally agree with you. 90's was the worst fashion era of all times.

by Anonymousreply 809/24/2013

Everyone thinks people in the 90's were cool but we mostly listened to "Breakfast at Tiffany's" by Deep Blue Something a lot.

by Anonymousreply 909/24/2013

Three chords and a bad attitude. And don't the kids just love it.

by Anonymousreply 1512/21/2013

The Spice Girls were the musical salvation of the '90s. They were fun, talented and beautiful. They were a great antidote to all of the droning depression grunge/post grunge and hip hop. They were also a great relief when compared to all of that pretentious Lilith Fair garbage like Alanis Morisette, Joan Osborn, Melissa Etheridge, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1712/21/2013

I was also a Britpop fan. I adored Pulp & Blur.

by Anonymousreply 1912/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 2112/21/2013

Why aren't there any good bands like Nirvana these days? Music is all shit! I miss the 90s, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam at their peak...

by Anonymousreply 2212/24/2013

Fucking hated Britpop AND Grunge. Showgaze was the best. Just concentrating on the music, without the narcissistic showmen.

by Anonymousreply 2312/24/2013

One of the reasons Kurt Cobain killed himself is that he couldn't stand what 'Kurt Cobain' had become. He didn't want to be cool, or heroic. He wanted to be be a musician without the bullshit of celebrity and he couldn't be that once he was made into a hero. Once he became adored, once the yuppies gave him their blessing, he lost his passion for the whole thing and the physical problems he had I believe were only made worse through the deification of his persona, the romanticised legend of the folk hero, much like John Keats or one of those english poets of old.

by Anonymousreply 2412/24/2013

He wanted the band to be successful and acclaimed but not the rest of it, not to the point where he was like a christ figure. He tried to make himself as unattractive as possible but the problem with Kurt is, it only made him more charismatic and beloved to people.

by Anonymousreply 2512/24/2013

Kurt Cobain would probably admire the inhumane will to power of somebody like Beyonce Knowles who seems to thrive on the idolisation of millions and feel empowered by it. It was not in his nature to get off on his self image.

by Anonymousreply 2612/24/2013

Nirvana has a couple of really catchy songs. However, there are many songs of Nirvana which are actually really bad as well.

Pearl Jam is a better band, your friend got it right. Better lyrics, far more mature and promising.

Nirvana got worshiped because of its catchy riffs and for the charming face of Kurt Cobain. Pearl Jam evolved. Nirvana never got that chance. Actually their only good album was Nevermind. In their last album they only had two good songs (Dumb, All Apologies) and in their first NONE with the exception of Love Buzz.

by Anonymousreply 2712/24/2013

Can't understand the praise for Nirvana. Pearl Jam was a much better band.

I remember the britpop wars, Blur vs Oasis. I miss those days.

by Anonymousreply 2812/24/2013

If Kurt Cobain was with another woman on his side maybe he would be alive now. A woman like Courtney Love couldn't help him with his drug problem.

by Anonymousreply 2912/24/2013

The problem with Blur is that they had a chip on their shoulder about being middle class boys (hence Damon Albarn's East London affectations being called 'Mockney') and Oasis, being hard living working class lads from Manchester never let them forget it.

by Anonymousreply 3012/24/2013

I was more into Euro dance music (Real McCoy, La Bouche, Technotronic), New Jack Swing...say what you want to say about Madonna and Janet Jackson but they released great tunes and videos during the 90s. Couldn't stand the Spice Girls.

Wasn't a fan of grunge so can't really say anything about Kurt Cobain.

by Anonymousreply 3112/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!