Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Jews of Washington Heights

I lived in NYC for most of the 80s and never met a single soul who lived there. I once wandered around a little after visiting The Cloisters...that's it.

It just seems bizarre that it never featured in my life at all.

I've just seen a very interesting documentary about it called: t

We Were So Beloved

A Film by Manfred Kirchheimer

All about the German Jews who went to live there escaping from the Nazis in the 30s.

Anyone know anything about Washington Heights?

by Anonymousreply 3309/25/2013

It's predominantly Dominican now.

by Anonymousreply 109/24/2013

Are Washington Heights and Inwood the same thing?

by Anonymousreply 209/24/2013

North of 181st Street and West of Fort Washington Avenue, it's like a perfectly preserved slice of the Bronx around the Grand Concourse in 1956. More Orthodox Jews, perhaps, but otherwise an astonishing recreation -- or perpetuation.

by Anonymousreply 309/24/2013

Dr. Ruth Westheimer has lived in Washington Heights since she came from Germany.

by Anonymousreply 409/24/2013

Thanks for the link, OP. I ordered the DVD. I've lived in NYC for 30 years and don't know much about Washington Heights. My daughter and her boyfriend live there now.

by Anonymousreply 509/24/2013

Yeshiva University is the main reason why there is a Jewish community in Washibgton Heights. Also, a lot of Jews used to go to Columbia University's school of social work and teaching.

The area is mostly Dominican. I went up there to look around when a friend was dating someone who lived there and didn't like it much. The kids were horrible. There would be little old ladies trying to walk on the sidewalk with a cane or a walker and the Spanish kids would skateboard right into them while their parents sat on the porches glancing on approvingly. Not my kind of place.

by Anonymousreply 609/24/2013

OP, you might enjoy reading gay Jewish author from Washington Heights, Lev Raphael.

by Anonymousreply 809/24/2013

OP, nobody gives a fuck that you lived in NYC. Can you imagine how little we care about your lack of experience with Washington Heights?

by Anonymousreply 909/24/2013

Umm, don't forget about me

by Anonymousreply 1009/24/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1109/24/2013

Years ago, I had a job dealing with a wide variety of Latin American immigrants. My co-worker and I voted Dominicans hands down the worst to deal with. Colombians were among the nicest.

by Anonymousreply 1309/24/2013

And then...

by Anonymousreply 1509/24/2013

In what area of NY do the Hassidic Jews live ?

by Anonymousreply 1609/24/2013

Williamsburgh and Crown Heights.

by Anonymousreply 1709/24/2013

Now I'll know not to go there.

by Anonymousreply 1909/24/2013

Don't forget Borough Park, R17.

by Anonymousreply 2009/24/2013

R9. And yet you replied....showing yourself to be an idiot, as always.

by Anonymousreply 2109/24/2013

In the 70s it had one of the highest crime rates in NYC. But since the advent of more police stations in the Heights, patrolmen and the new Stop And Frisk policy---it now has the 2nd lowest crime rate in the city.

by Anonymousreply 2209/24/2013

My partner and I bought an apartment there 8 years ago in, what we thought was, a very nice, rather expensive building. It was populated with doctors from the near-by Presbyterian hospital, Professors and people in the entertainment industry (TV producers and such). The rent controlled apartment below ours was occupied by a Dominican family that had lived there since the dawn of time. They had a 35 year old, drug addicted son who fancied himself a dj who played horrible music at the loudest possible volume throughout the night, every night, and chain smoked cigarettes and weed that wafted through the floor into our apartment all day long. He supported himself by selling drugs from his apartment. We tried every possible method to get him out of the building but nothing worked. The police ignored our complaints as did the co-op board. He made our life a living hell. We eventually had to sell the apartment and get the hell out of there.

by Anonymousreply 2309/24/2013

What's the lowest, r22?

I'm surprised that the two safest neighborhoods wouldn't both be on Staten Island.

by Anonymousreply 2409/24/2013

Phffft! Only a cretinous wallbanger would actually consider Staten Island part of NYC, regardless of maps.

by Anonymousreply 2509/24/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2609/25/2013

Sounds charming!

by Anonymousreply 2709/25/2013

I live on the top of the hill we call Hudson Heights now....no street people...I never lock my door when I'm in the neighborhood...there is a cliff on one side going down to the Hudson...and a cliff on the other going down to the Jewish part of WH....145 stairs if you want to walk up.

There are no through streets so only people that live there are there...it's the highest natural point in Manhattan, where George Washington had his fort.

The buildings are deco for the most part...the only 60's red brick one is where Dr.Ruth lives. Fort Tryon Park is gorgeous. It's administered by the Met because of the Cloisters. There are no through streets there so peopl only go there if they want to go to the park...

It's a little village where you know people and say hello and smile! Very unique for Manhattan...

by Anonymousreply 2809/25/2013

The 34th Precinct serving Washington Heights has the most noise complaints in the five boroughs.

by Anonymousreply 2909/25/2013

r24 some Staten Island neighborhoods are safe, but not those with city projects north of the Verrazano Bridge (aka Guinea Gangplank) referring to residents from Bensonhurst Brooklyn who moved in droves to the island.

by Anonymousreply 3009/25/2013

So much to do, so little time:

[quote] Very unique for Manhattan...

There are no degrees of uniqueness. Something is either unique or it isn't.

[quote]My partner and I bought an apartment there 8 years ago in, what we thought was, a very nice, rather expensive building.

Clearly, R23, you drove your neighbor insane with your overuse of commas. Perhaps you confuse them with parentheses.

by Anonymousreply 3109/25/2013

The grammar trolls are back.

by Anonymousreply 3209/25/2013

[quote]The rent controlled apartment below ours was occupied by a Dominican family that had lived there since the dawn of time.

WHY did you buy a co-op in a building with renters still in it? That's the worst possible scenario. Co-ops with renters usually come with very sketchy situations.

A former work colleague got an amazing deal on their six room pre-war in Jackson Height, he had rented a one bedroom there for 20 years, during the years the building went co-op with some renters.'

When a larger apartment became available he bought it for only $25,000, this was in 1999. He knew some renters remained, very old people, but already knew those tenants, he didn't see any problems with those renters remaining. I am not sure if those renters eventually bought and when they died, their heirs made profits on the apartments OR if the rentals remained rentals.

Personally, I would never recommend anyone buy into a co-op with renters still there, especially if you haven't been living in the building before you bought the apartment and know what type of people the renters are.

Having noisy neighbors is a really big problem in NYC, it's one which is rarely dealt with efficiently by landlords or the police.

by Anonymousreply 3309/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.