Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I've just bought a brand new Mac Pro! It's my first Mac! (After the horrors of Windows 8).

Is there anything I should know?

Also...why, when I make a typo does it just underline the word and not show me what the correct spelling is?

by Anonymousreply 8609/28/2013

Click the word when it's underlined, and suggested corrections should appear.

by Anonymousreply 109/24/2013

Thanks R1.

I was doing that but apparently it needs you to click with TWO fingers. I'm getting the hang of the two fingers thing.

Gee...the keyboard is very easy for typing. Terrific, actually.

by Anonymousreply 209/24/2013

My brother gave me his old MacBook Pro and I love it. Better than any Windows laptop I ever had. Beautiful screen, great keyboard, so easy and intuitive to use.

by Anonymousreply 309/24/2013

[quote]Better than any Windows laptop I ever had.

Yes, it's like driving a Rolls Royce after driving an old Ford.

I'm slightly missing left right click. This cmd thing seems clumsy in comparison though.

by Anonymousreply 409/24/2013

Thank you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 509/24/2013

Should I switch to "Safari" and give up google chrome?

by Anonymousreply 609/24/2013

You can set your mouse settings so you can right click.

by Anonymousreply 709/24/2013

Explore your system preferencs panel to see what else you can control,

Go to the apple menu/ system preferences. There you will find the options for all your settings.

by Anonymousreply 809/24/2013

TIME MACHINE USE IT YOU WILL BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL.

Buy and external hard drive for back ups.

Macs don't crash often but when they do it's easy to reinstall your drive if you have backed it up.

by Anonymousreply 909/24/2013

Yes, OP, switch to Safari.

And don't worry; it takes a while for a lot of us to get used to two fingers.

by Anonymousreply 1009/24/2013

[quote]And don't worry; it takes a while for a lot of us to get used to two fingers.

...and 'pinch with thumb and three fingers'. It's like learning sign language.

by Anonymousreply 1109/24/2013

I agree about the horrors of windows 8. What a piece of crap (and this coming from a long-time experienced windows user). I understand their wish to be able to combine a mobile and desktop system, but if there is a way to ever accomplish this, Windows 8 is not a good start.

by Anonymousreply 1209/24/2013

[quote]I agree about the horrors of windows 8.

Luckily the laptop I bought was glitchy and full of faults so the store took it back. It was beyond horrible. I was getting ready to throw it against the wall.

by Anonymousreply 1309/24/2013

[quote]Should I switch to "Safari" and give up google chrome?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 1409/24/2013

How do you command it to go to the top of the page (without scrolling)?

by Anonymousreply 1509/24/2013

It's OK...I've got it...cmd + up arrow.

by Anonymousreply 1609/24/2013

I'll be making the switch when my current Windows 7 laptop dies.

by Anonymousreply 1709/24/2013

I'm looking forward to trying out imovie. The windows movie maker just kept getting worse and worse every time they updated it. It was never good.

by Anonymousreply 1809/24/2013

Be careful of criticizing Windows 8. The Windows 8 troll is lurking...

by Anonymousreply 1909/24/2013

[quote]Be careful of criticizing Windows 8. The Windows 8 troll is lurking...

For the short time I had my windows 8 laptop, I read some of the threads about it here on DL and there was someone who wrote 'helpful' posts about how to manage it. He obviously meant well, but they merely validated the horror of the thing.

by Anonymousreply 2009/24/2013

Some of you are talking about the Paid Microsoft Apparatchik Troll™ and he or she is genuinely nice.

I admire this troll.

But I'd never buy a Microsoft product despite what the troll says.

For my use of them, my iPad and iMac perform wonderfully, year after year.

by Anonymousreply 2109/24/2013

It already hates you and is stating its boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 2209/24/2013

Mac Pro is not a laptop. I think you mean MacBook Pro.

by Anonymousreply 2309/24/2013

For some reason my font has suddenly changed to something nasty.

Anyone know how to change fonts on the mac? From what I can gather it's not that straight forward.

by Anonymousreply 2409/24/2013

[quote] I think you mean MacBook Pro.

Yes, I do.

by Anonymousreply 2509/24/2013

[quote]Also...why, when I make a typo does it just underline the word and not show me what the correct spelling is?

It is teaching you how to fish.

by Anonymousreply 2609/24/2013

My daily computer is an ancient Dell. I have a new HP with windows 8. I like the windows 8, use it mostly for video and music, plan to switch completely to it some day.

I also have a 13" macbook which I keep updated and use often enough to keep it running. I prefer the windows machines although there are some neat things about the MB

by Anonymousreply 2809/24/2013

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'd suggest buying a copy of "Macbook Pro for Dummies." Apple products are obviously very intuitive, so you really don't "need" it, but without a doubt, you'll pick up useful information that you wouldn't have known about otherwise. You can also google your question, like "How to change screensaver on Macbook Pro?" and chances are that someone, somewhere has already had the question answered.

by Anonymousreply 3009/24/2013

R32, you must be new around here.

by Anonymousreply 3309/24/2013

[quote],People HATED Windows XP when it first came out

Untrue.

I've used Win95, Win98, Win2000, WinXP and WinVista. I never used Win7.

Windows 8 is the worst. It's the last windows I'll buy. My husband bought a Mac mini after seeing my Win8 desktop. I mostly use my iPad now.

by Anonymousreply 3409/24/2013

R36 and the other 15 posts you've made in this thread, do you realize this is an opinion based gossip forum? That you cannot force your opinion down everyone's throat? That we can have any opinion we want, we can call Windows 8 crap, we can disagree with you on every point.

Sorry if it hurts your bottom line.

by Anonymousreply 3809/24/2013

If the Windows 8 troll is still around, how do I create a back-up disk in case the thing crashes (which, sadly, I'm anticipating will happen)?

by Anonymousreply 4309/24/2013

r24

Every program has its own fonts. Are you talking about the fonts in Safari?

by Anonymousreply 4409/24/2013

Dear Microsoft

We don't need you anymore. The consumer market is leaving desktop PCs in the dust and prefers other manufacturers tablets over yours. Or did you not notice you lost a billion dollars thanks to Windows 8 and the Surface?

Also, Apple is putting out the Mac mini, which costs about the same as a windows desktop. So there's now choice if the home market insists on a desktop.

by Anonymousreply 4509/24/2013

Windows 8 makes much more sense if you have a touch screen. I don't so it took some getting used to. It is ok.

by Anonymousreply 4609/24/2013

You don't need to know the correct spelling, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4709/24/2013

If I trade in my Windows laptop for a new MacBook, how do I get all of my documents and photos over to the MacBook? As you can tell, I'm not very computer literate.

by Anonymousreply 4809/24/2013

[quote]I'm slightly missing left right click. This cmd thing seems clumsy in comparison though.

You can have it back. Go to settings/track pad and choose what you want for ""secondary click" The choices include right click. I use a two finger tap.

by Anonymousreply 4909/24/2013

[quote]If I trade in my Windows laptop for a new MacBook, how do I get all of my documents and photos over to the MacBook? As you can tell, I'm not very computer literate.

The Apple store will do it for you.

If you're more techie, the MacBook has a transfer program that will walk you through it.

by Anonymousreply 5009/24/2013

when i win the lotto i'll get a mac laptop.

otherwise too expensive for me.

by Anonymousreply 5109/24/2013

Thanks, R50.

by Anonymousreply 5209/24/2013

I don't know whether I should get a Macbook Air, or a Pro? What do all of you suggest?

by Anonymousreply 5309/24/2013

[quote]Also, Apple is putting out the Mac mini, which costs about the same as a windows desktop.

You're full of shit. No monitor, add another grand, no optical drive, add another $200 for external, only 500 GB hard drive add... add... add...

by Anonymousreply 5409/24/2013

I'm still having trouble with my font...it seems to be stuck in this horrid stubby font and nothing I do will change it.

Apple Support doesn't open until tomorrow morning.

But thanks for all the support and info.

by Anonymousreply 5509/24/2013

MacBook Pro has an Optical Drive (CD/DVD) and Hard Drive (larger capacity) It's like the standard laptop people have used for years.

MacBook Air is much thinner and lighter, has no optical drives (you can buy a USB external if you want) and a Solid State HD ( just chips). It's more expensive and the drive is smaller but faster. More like an iPad w/keyboard. THERE IS NO SPINNING HD TO "CRASH".

by Anonymousreply 5609/24/2013

Lots of people are hooking a Mac mini up to their HDTV and cutting the cable.

by Anonymousreply 5709/24/2013

I have a Mac Mini. It has 1T hard drive. Apple's brand external optical drive was $79. I already had a monitor.

by Anonymousreply 5809/24/2013

r55

If you tell us which program has the bad font, maybe we can help you.

by Anonymousreply 5909/24/2013

My neighbor switched to a Mac Mini last spring and just re-used his old desk top monitor which had been fine with his old Windows computer, never gave him any problems.

by Anonymousreply 6009/24/2013

[quote]If you tell us which program has the bad font, maybe we can help you.

Absolutely everything I do on the computer...not just one program.

by Anonymousreply 6109/24/2013

[quote]MacBook Air is much thinner and lighter, has no optical drives (you can buy a USB external if you want)

I chose Pro because I wanted an internal. I hate having to hook up lots of things to the computer.

by Anonymousreply 6209/24/2013

Stand back, girls, I'll handle this. I'm bicomputeral with my Imac, my HP One-touch, Lenovo latop (with Windows 7, which I love) and a Mac Book Pro.

OP are all the fonts you hate in all the windows and writing which you cannot change? Perhaps you unwittingly changed your system defauts.

Here's a tutorial on youtube that may help.

by Anonymousreply 6409/24/2013

R35 = R63 = really fucked up troll with a lot of irrational hatred going on.

by Anonymousreply 6509/24/2013

I like Windows 8, especially the start screen where you can find anything on your computer just by typing in the name. The file management system is far superior than in previous versions, and that's primarily what matters to me.

by Anonymousreply 6609/24/2013

r61

Does your MacBook Pro have a Retina display? That seems to cause a problem with fonts. I have an old MacBook so I have no personal experience with the Retina display. Run App Store to update your Apple software, then update all your third-party software (Firefox, Chrome, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 6709/25/2013

r39 wrote:

"I do not work for MS, have never worked for MS, and am not paid to post anything anywhere... sorry if that fact too conflicts with your desired beliefs. "

NO ONE in their right mind would invite so much abuse here for mere altruistic reasons -- "I want to be helpful and stamp out ignorance about Microsoft and their products."

Yeah right ...

You may not work for Microsoft but you MAY WORK FOR their reputation management firm.

I admire you, troll, you've got spunk.

by Anonymousreply 6809/25/2013

I've had the same monitor for 10 years. It's fine.

by Anonymousreply 7209/25/2013

Yum. I'm looking forward to the actual new Mac Pro to be released. It's only 9.9 x 6.6 inches *round*. Looks dead sexy and I would proudly let that thing sit up on top of my desk.

It's also the model that they're producing in the US, which is a bonus.

I can only say too many good things about their computers and hardware in my experience. The phones and tablets, not so much...

by Anonymousreply 7309/25/2013

Apple quietly updated the iMacs too...

They're the first to support the new faster wireless 'ac' standard (speed standards in the 802.11 standard are a, b, g, n, and ac in increasing order of speed... most things today are 'g' or 'n').

The new systems are available immediately and basically just feature updated Intel processors, and more storage options, in addition to wireless 'ac' support.

Prices are the same.

by Anonymousreply 7409/25/2013

DLers are allowed to have rational (or even irrational) reasons to hate Microsoft and it really is no one's business, yours included.

If you feel the need to call "out windows-bashing trolls" for bashing Windows, then yes, you are inviting abuse.

You are earnest, but I see this as your only admirable attribute.

by Anonymousreply 7509/25/2013

r76 = Microsof Fanfag

by Anonymousreply 7709/25/2013

Duh, helps if I actually include the link for you, R43:

by Anonymousreply 8109/25/2013

[quote]It's like all those idiots last week who didn't back up their iPhones, didn't update their iTunes and were surprised they had all kinds of problems with their updates. People stupid.

It's nothing to do with stupid. A lot of people aren't technically minded. They just want these things to work easily.

If your car breaks down or doesn't work people don't call you stupid just because you can't repair or work out what's wrong by yourself.

by Anonymousreply 8209/25/2013

R82, I think the 'car analogy' of "not backing up your phone/data/computer" is "never having the oil changed, and then freaking out when the car dies because of it".

There are base responsibilities for car ownership: gassing it up, changing the oil (even if you pay someone else to do it), regular maintenance. The same applies to PCs for sure, and to a lesser extent, phones.

by Anonymousreply 8309/25/2013

Thanks r80/81.

by Anonymousreply 8409/26/2013

This frau is NOT happy with her Applecare warranty!

by Anonymousreply 8509/27/2013

R74 Not quite on that ascending order of speed. 802.11a, though it's ratification predates 802.11b, is much faster. In fact, it's maximum speed is the same as the later 802.11g.

by Anonymousreply 8609/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.