Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I've just bought a brand new Mac Pro! It's my first Mac! (After the horrors of Windows 8).

Is there anything I should know?

Also...why, when I make a typo does it just underline the word and not show me what the correct spelling is?

by Anonymousreply 8609/28/2013

Click the word when it's underlined, and suggested corrections should appear.

by Anonymousreply 109/24/2013

Thanks R1.

I was doing that but apparently it needs you to click with TWO fingers. I'm getting the hang of the two fingers thing.

Gee...the keyboard is very easy for typing. Terrific, actually.

by Anonymousreply 209/24/2013

My brother gave me his old MacBook Pro and I love it. Better than any Windows laptop I ever had. Beautiful screen, great keyboard, so easy and intuitive to use.

by Anonymousreply 309/24/2013

[quote]Better than any Windows laptop I ever had.

Yes, it's like driving a Rolls Royce after driving an old Ford.

I'm slightly missing left right click. This cmd thing seems clumsy in comparison though.

by Anonymousreply 409/24/2013

Thank you, OP!

by Anonymousreply 509/24/2013

Should I switch to "Safari" and give up google chrome?

by Anonymousreply 609/24/2013

You can set your mouse settings so you can right click.

by Anonymousreply 709/24/2013

Explore your system preferencs panel to see what else you can control,

Go to the apple menu/ system preferences. There you will find the options for all your settings.

by Anonymousreply 809/24/2013

TIME MACHINE USE IT YOU WILL BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL.

Buy and external hard drive for back ups.

Macs don't crash often but when they do it's easy to reinstall your drive if you have backed it up.

by Anonymousreply 909/24/2013

Yes, OP, switch to Safari.

And don't worry; it takes a while for a lot of us to get used to two fingers.

by Anonymousreply 1009/24/2013

[quote]And don't worry; it takes a while for a lot of us to get used to two fingers.

...and 'pinch with thumb and three fingers'. It's like learning sign language.

by Anonymousreply 1109/24/2013

I agree about the horrors of windows 8. What a piece of crap (and this coming from a long-time experienced windows user). I understand their wish to be able to combine a mobile and desktop system, but if there is a way to ever accomplish this, Windows 8 is not a good start.

by Anonymousreply 1209/24/2013

[quote]I agree about the horrors of windows 8.

Luckily the laptop I bought was glitchy and full of faults so the store took it back. It was beyond horrible. I was getting ready to throw it against the wall.

by Anonymousreply 1309/24/2013

[quote]Should I switch to "Safari" and give up google chrome?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 1409/24/2013

How do you command it to go to the top of the page (without scrolling)?

by Anonymousreply 1509/24/2013

It's OK...I've got it...cmd + up arrow.

by Anonymousreply 1609/24/2013

I'll be making the switch when my current Windows 7 laptop dies.

by Anonymousreply 1709/24/2013

I'm looking forward to trying out imovie. The windows movie maker just kept getting worse and worse every time they updated it. It was never good.

by Anonymousreply 1809/24/2013

Be careful of criticizing Windows 8. The Windows 8 troll is lurking...

by Anonymousreply 1909/24/2013

[quote]Be careful of criticizing Windows 8. The Windows 8 troll is lurking...

For the short time I had my windows 8 laptop, I read some of the threads about it here on DL and there was someone who wrote 'helpful' posts about how to manage it. He obviously meant well, but they merely validated the horror of the thing.

by Anonymousreply 2009/24/2013

Some of you are talking about the Paid Microsoft Apparatchik Troll™ and he or she is genuinely nice.

I admire this troll.

But I'd never buy a Microsoft product despite what the troll says.

For my use of them, my iPad and iMac perform wonderfully, year after year.

by Anonymousreply 2109/24/2013

It already hates you and is stating its boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 2209/24/2013

Mac Pro is not a laptop. I think you mean MacBook Pro.

by Anonymousreply 2309/24/2013

For some reason my font has suddenly changed to something nasty.

Anyone know how to change fonts on the mac? From what I can gather it's not that straight forward.

by Anonymousreply 2409/24/2013

[quote] I think you mean MacBook Pro.

Yes, I do.

by Anonymousreply 2509/24/2013

[quote]Also...why, when I make a typo does it just underline the word and not show me what the correct spelling is?

It is teaching you how to fish.

by Anonymousreply 2609/24/2013

[quote]I agree about the horrors of windows 8. What a piece of crap

Now you're just trolling. :-)

There's absolutely nothing horrific about it. I can't even imagine why you'd say such a thing, or what you even mean by it. It works better than Windows 7 in almost every way.

[quote]For some reason my font has suddenly changed to something nasty. Anyone know how to change fonts on the mac? From what I can gather it's not that straight forward.

As you can see, every system has its issues. Different isn't necessarily better or worse, sometimes it's just different.

by Anonymousreply 2709/24/2013

My daily computer is an ancient Dell. I have a new HP with windows 8. I like the windows 8, use it mostly for video and music, plan to switch completely to it some day.

I also have a 13" macbook which I keep updated and use often enough to keep it running. I prefer the windows machines although there are some neat things about the MB

by Anonymousreply 2809/24/2013

[quote]I prefer the windows machines although there are some neat things about the MB

This is my take as well.

For my cousin, who is computer illiterate and needs to do things with an industry that has standardized on Macs, a Mac is a no-brainer.

For my parents, who've only ever used Windows, and are pretty much computer illiterate except what they've learned by rote... it took them only a day to get used to Windows 8 and they like it. They're too old to learn Mac OS X and have no interest in doing it anyway. Windows 8 is enough like Windows 7 that they didn't have to learn too many new things.

Each OS has its place, its proponents, and it's strengths and weaknesses.

Windows is more complex, but is also more configurable and more powerful. It's also going through a difficult transition right now, much like the OS X transition back in the day (and the subsequent PowerPC/Intel transition). Transitions are always painful. But almost always necessary and worth it in the end. It certainly was for the Mac. It will be for Windows.

People HATED Windows XP when it first came out. Now you can't seem to pry it out of some people's fingers. People get used to things, and don't like change.

OP, good luck in getting used to your new PC. I'm sure you'll be quite happy. But that doesn't change the fact that Windows 8 is no "horror" and it's irresponsible and ridiculous to keep spreading that crap.

by Anonymousreply 2909/24/2013

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'd suggest buying a copy of "Macbook Pro for Dummies." Apple products are obviously very intuitive, so you really don't "need" it, but without a doubt, you'll pick up useful information that you wouldn't have known about otherwise. You can also google your question, like "How to change screensaver on Macbook Pro?" and chances are that someone, somewhere has already had the question answered.

by Anonymousreply 3009/24/2013

R29, how dare you post something reasonable and calm in tone about a topic that seems to cause rage issues in so many?

(Wish everyone were like you.)

by Anonymousreply 3109/24/2013

Anyone changing to any new system can benefit from books like that, R30.

Windows 8 users could and should benefit from similar books for Windows 8, for example.

Why would you get flamed for something like that?

by Anonymousreply 3209/24/2013

R32, you must be new around here.

by Anonymousreply 3309/24/2013

[quote],People HATED Windows XP when it first came out

Untrue.

I've used Win95, Win98, Win2000, WinXP and WinVista. I never used Win7.

Windows 8 is the worst. It's the last windows I'll buy. My husband bought a Mac mini after seeing my Win8 desktop. I mostly use my iPad now.

by Anonymousreply 3409/24/2013

R27, 29, 32 - GO AWAY.

We hate W8, we hate you. Pleading will not help.

by Anonymousreply 3509/24/2013

No, it's actually very true. People called it ugly. They hated the cartoony "Luna" look. They hated the little search assistance (vestiges of "Clippy" from Office). I remember it well.

Windows 8 is nowhere near the worst. I have no idea what you're even basing that on, other than "It's different so I'm reacting in a knee-jerk way and just saying it's horrible because I'm not going to make the slightest effort to grasp it". Especially given you've never used Windows 7, which until now has been arguably the best version.

And nobody hid the start button. It's right there on your keyboard... the Windows key. Seriously. There are half a dozen ways of getting to the start screen. You have to be told about two of them (they're not that discoverable), but once told, it's straight-forward. Corners are "infinitely deep" so slamming your mouse into the corner and clicking is a lot faster and easier than targeting a button. Apple users LOVED to use that rationale with their "one menu bar to rule them all" at the top of the screen, but suddenly it doesn't apply when using Windows. It's weird.

If you'd taken a few moments to simply configure your Windows 8 machine for primarily desktop use, you'd likely be quite happy with it.

If you didn't bother to do that, don't blame Windows 8 or claim it sucks. It just makes you look ignorant and trollish.

by Anonymousreply 3609/24/2013

R35, your hate is irrational.

by Anonymousreply 3709/24/2013

R36 and the other 15 posts you've made in this thread, do you realize this is an opinion based gossip forum? That you cannot force your opinion down everyone's throat? That we can have any opinion we want, we can call Windows 8 crap, we can disagree with you on every point.

Sorry if it hurts your bottom line.

by Anonymousreply 3809/24/2013

It doesn't hurt my bottom line.

It's just inaccurate.

Ignorance and misinformation is ignorance and misinformation no matter how hard you want to believe it.

Almost everyone I know of who actually spent any time with Windows 8 likes it. Yes, they were frustrated at first, but it doesn't take much effort to 'get it' after a little while, configure it to your liking, and be quite productive with it.

Saying it sucks may satisfy you because you never got past the 'frustrated' level, but it doesn't make it true.

Any more than XP sucked, or OSX 1.0 sucked, or OSX Lion sucked, or anything else that people initially recoiled from (because it was different) and later grew used to and then loved.

I do not work for MS, have never worked for MS, and am not paid to post anything anywhere... sorry if that fact too conflicts with your desired beliefs. Believing something doesn't make it true, and not all opinions are equally valid.

by Anonymousreply 3909/24/2013

This is not about your conception of "truth," bimbo, R39, why don't you fucking understand this?

F&F.

by Anonymousreply 4009/24/2013

[quote]After the horrors of Windows 8

Six year olds can handle Windows 8 just fine. Is there something wrong with you? Do you have a condition? Are you ya, know "special"? Do you call the remote "the clicker"? Does your VCR still blink 12:00? Something's not right with you.

by Anonymousreply 4109/24/2013

R40, why do you think it's okay to abuse the F&F function just because you don't agree with someone? (even if you have no real basis for disagreement, you're just being obnoxious and hateful)

by Anonymousreply 4209/24/2013

If the Windows 8 troll is still around, how do I create a back-up disk in case the thing crashes (which, sadly, I'm anticipating will happen)?

by Anonymousreply 4309/24/2013

r24

Every program has its own fonts. Are you talking about the fonts in Safari?

by Anonymousreply 4409/24/2013

Dear Microsoft

We don't need you anymore. The consumer market is leaving desktop PCs in the dust and prefers other manufacturers tablets over yours. Or did you not notice you lost a billion dollars thanks to Windows 8 and the Surface?

Also, Apple is putting out the Mac mini, which costs about the same as a windows desktop. So there's now choice if the home market insists on a desktop.

by Anonymousreply 4509/24/2013

Windows 8 makes much more sense if you have a touch screen. I don't so it took some getting used to. It is ok.

by Anonymousreply 4609/24/2013

You don't need to know the correct spelling, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4709/24/2013

If I trade in my Windows laptop for a new MacBook, how do I get all of my documents and photos over to the MacBook? As you can tell, I'm not very computer literate.

by Anonymousreply 4809/24/2013

[quote]I'm slightly missing left right click. This cmd thing seems clumsy in comparison though.

You can have it back. Go to settings/track pad and choose what you want for ""secondary click" The choices include right click. I use a two finger tap.

by Anonymousreply 4909/24/2013

[quote]If I trade in my Windows laptop for a new MacBook, how do I get all of my documents and photos over to the MacBook? As you can tell, I'm not very computer literate.

The Apple store will do it for you.

If you're more techie, the MacBook has a transfer program that will walk you through it.

by Anonymousreply 5009/24/2013

when i win the lotto i'll get a mac laptop.

otherwise too expensive for me.

by Anonymousreply 5109/24/2013

Thanks, R50.

by Anonymousreply 5209/24/2013

I don't know whether I should get a Macbook Air, or a Pro? What do all of you suggest?

by Anonymousreply 5309/24/2013

[quote]Also, Apple is putting out the Mac mini, which costs about the same as a windows desktop.

You're full of shit. No monitor, add another grand, no optical drive, add another $200 for external, only 500 GB hard drive add... add... add...

by Anonymousreply 5409/24/2013

I'm still having trouble with my font...it seems to be stuck in this horrid stubby font and nothing I do will change it.

Apple Support doesn't open until tomorrow morning.

But thanks for all the support and info.

by Anonymousreply 5509/24/2013

MacBook Pro has an Optical Drive (CD/DVD) and Hard Drive (larger capacity) It's like the standard laptop people have used for years.

MacBook Air is much thinner and lighter, has no optical drives (you can buy a USB external if you want) and a Solid State HD ( just chips). It's more expensive and the drive is smaller but faster. More like an iPad w/keyboard. THERE IS NO SPINNING HD TO "CRASH".

by Anonymousreply 5609/24/2013

Lots of people are hooking a Mac mini up to their HDTV and cutting the cable.

by Anonymousreply 5709/24/2013

I have a Mac Mini. It has 1T hard drive. Apple's brand external optical drive was $79. I already had a monitor.

by Anonymousreply 5809/24/2013

r55

If you tell us which program has the bad font, maybe we can help you.

by Anonymousreply 5909/24/2013

My neighbor switched to a Mac Mini last spring and just re-used his old desk top monitor which had been fine with his old Windows computer, never gave him any problems.

by Anonymousreply 6009/24/2013

[quote]If you tell us which program has the bad font, maybe we can help you.

Absolutely everything I do on the computer...not just one program.

by Anonymousreply 6109/24/2013

[quote]MacBook Air is much thinner and lighter, has no optical drives (you can buy a USB external if you want)

I chose Pro because I wanted an internal. I hate having to hook up lots of things to the computer.

by Anonymousreply 6209/24/2013

Has asshole W8 shill been banned yet?

by Anonymousreply 6309/24/2013

Stand back, girls, I'll handle this. I'm bicomputeral with my Imac, my HP One-touch, Lenovo latop (with Windows 7, which I love) and a Mac Book Pro.

OP are all the fonts you hate in all the windows and writing which you cannot change? Perhaps you unwittingly changed your system defauts.

Here's a tutorial on youtube that may help.

by Anonymousreply 6409/24/2013

R35 = R63 = really fucked up troll with a lot of irrational hatred going on.

by Anonymousreply 6509/24/2013

I like Windows 8, especially the start screen where you can find anything on your computer just by typing in the name. The file management system is far superior than in previous versions, and that's primarily what matters to me.

by Anonymousreply 6609/24/2013

r61

Does your MacBook Pro have a Retina display? That seems to cause a problem with fonts. I have an old MacBook so I have no personal experience with the Retina display. Run App Store to update your Apple software, then update all your third-party software (Firefox, Chrome, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 6709/24/2013

r39 wrote:

"I do not work for MS, have never worked for MS, and am not paid to post anything anywhere... sorry if that fact too conflicts with your desired beliefs. "

NO ONE in their right mind would invite so much abuse here for mere altruistic reasons -- "I want to be helpful and stamp out ignorance about Microsoft and their products."

Yeah right ...

You may not work for Microsoft but you MAY WORK FOR their reputation management firm.

I admire you, troll, you've got spunk.

by Anonymousreply 6809/25/2013

[quote] No monitor, add another grand

1.) No desktop in that price range comes with a monitor

2.) If you spend $1,000 for a desktop monitor, you're a fool.

3.) Pretty much everybody over the age of 12 has a perfectly functioning monitor already and doesn't need to buy a new one.

by Anonymousreply 6909/25/2013

[quote]You may not work for Microsoft but you MAY WORK FOR their reputation management firm.

Nope. I don't work for or with any company that has anything to do with Microsoft.

I don't "invite" abuse. Some people just heap it on me because for whatever strange reason, they have a deep irrational hatred for Microsoft. Or something. I honestly don't get it. Whatever.

I'm not trolling. If anything, I'm calling out windows-bashing trolls. But mostly I just want to help out people who are having problems or issues... because this is one area I'm an expert in: My only tie to Microsoft is that I use Microsoft products and develop software on their platform.

by Anonymousreply 7009/25/2013

R69 is correct. A really expensive 23" touch screen monitor goes for about $600. Most good, large, wide-screen, non-touch monitors can be had for $300 or less.

by Anonymousreply 7109/25/2013

I've had the same monitor for 10 years. It's fine.

by Anonymousreply 7209/25/2013

Yum. I'm looking forward to the actual new Mac Pro to be released. It's only 9.9 x 6.6 inches *round*. Looks dead sexy and I would proudly let that thing sit up on top of my desk.

It's also the model that they're producing in the US, which is a bonus.

I can only say too many good things about their computers and hardware in my experience. The phones and tablets, not so much...

by Anonymousreply 7309/25/2013

Apple quietly updated the iMacs too...

They're the first to support the new faster wireless 'ac' standard (speed standards in the 802.11 standard are a, b, g, n, and ac in increasing order of speed... most things today are 'g' or 'n').

The new systems are available immediately and basically just feature updated Intel processors, and more storage options, in addition to wireless 'ac' support.

Prices are the same.

by Anonymousreply 7409/25/2013

DLers are allowed to have rational (or even irrational) reasons to hate Microsoft and it really is no one's business, yours included.

If you feel the need to call "out windows-bashing trolls" for bashing Windows, then yes, you are inviting abuse.

You are earnest, but I see this as your only admirable attribute.

by Anonymousreply 7509/25/2013

No, I'm not 'inviting abuse' by correcting misperceptions and preventing people's outright lies from coloring other people's opinions. Providing an actual, thoughtful, fact-based analysis as an opposition to the mindless parroting of "Win8 sucks!" (which isn't an opinion, it's an objective statement... if they had an opinion they'd say "I tried Windows 8 and I didn't like it"), does not "invite abuse".

That's like saying the woman "invites rape" because she wears a short skirt. It's ridiculous and offensive.

You can keep on attacking me (to what end, I'm not sure), there's nothing I can do about it this is true, but it's still an irrational response to a reasoned and factual correction of the idiotic and ignorant "Win8 sucks" nonsense.

Win8 has all the features of Win7 but one or two, and adds hundreds of new features, is faster, uses less memory, is more secure, and supports far more hardware and more up-to-date standards and protocols than any other version of Windows, or any other OS, period. These are undeniable facts. Yes, it takes a little training and a little configuration, but once over the learning hump, most people like it.

No matter how you slice or dice it, it does not "suck". Some people just have ignorant, knee-jerk reactions, or are lazy, or are just parroting things "they've heard" because they like to bash. I'd rather that idiotic echo-chamber not be the ONLY thing most people hear about it. It's like letting Republicans rant on bashing ObamaCare without responding... why would any sane, rational, and informed citizen allow that to go unchallenged?

by Anonymousreply 7609/25/2013

r76 = Microsof Fanfag

by Anonymousreply 7709/25/2013

R77 = mindless Apple fan-boy sucking Steve Jobs' rotting cock

by Anonymousreply 7809/25/2013

I'm another one who likes Windows 8. Now that they've announced the new and improved Microsoft Surface Pro 2, I'll definitely be getting one.

People just buy operating systems without understanding their intended for certain devices. Running Windows 8 on old inappropriate hardware isn't a great idea.

I still don't understand why people find Windows 8 so difficult. They just don't take any time to understand the concept.

It's like all those idiots last week who didn't back up their iPhones, didn't update their iTunes and were surprised they had all kinds of problems with their updates. People stupid.

by Anonymousreply 7909/25/2013

[quote]If the Windows 8 troll is still around, how do I create a back-up disk in case the thing crashes (which, sadly, I'm anticipating will happen)?

Not exactly the right thread for this, but I can try.

Windows 8 includes a new backup facility called "File History" that is far easier to use than the old backup stuff. In a way it's similar to Mac OS X's "Time Machine", just without the starry-eyed GUI. However, it's very easy to use and set up.

You can just hit start and type "File History", or open Control Panel on the desktop and type "File History" into the search box in the upper right to find it.

Basically, you buy an external USB hard drive, plug it in, point File History to use it, and all the files in your Libraries (documents, pictures, videos, music) gets backed up automatically. Restoring is also very easy. It's pretty mindless.

Of course, it's not the same as an "image backup". You still need an external drive for that, but you can still do it in Windows 8... it's just not as trivial (or as useful), because it's pretty much deprecated now. It's sort of hidden. The article linked below will walk you through it.

If you're talking about a "recovery disc", most OEM manufacturers included a utility that will create those (they're less necessary under Windows 8, to be honest)... if you search for "Recovery" from the start screen you might find whatever manufacturer utility was included with your PC (Dell in particular is good at providing these, I'm not so sure about HP or Sony or Toshiba or others). Those you can just burn to a CD or DVD or whatever, and don't require an external hard drive, because it's not a full system backup, but just a backup of some system files, drivers, and configurations.

Also, if you sign into Windows using a Microsoft ID (Highly recommended... all the best features of Windows 8 are enabled by doing this), you'll automatically get Skydrive storage in the cloud. You can work on documents, storing them there, and they'll be available from any web browser, and you don't have to worry about them disappearing if your hard drive crashes or computer dies. It also syncs many settings and preferences to the cloud, so if you get a new machine, you just sign in with the same Microsoft ID (basically any email address can be your Microsoft ID), and all the settings will just flow down automatically.

I had occasion to test this recently when my desktop died. It was running windows 8. So I bought a new Windows 8 desktop, and when I signed in... suddenly all my settings were back, all my IE Favorites/bookmarks were back, wallpaper, etc. And I just told File History to restore my libraries, and all my files were back. I was up and running like nothing happened after only a couple of hours (and most of that was reinstalling some Desktop apps). In the past it would have taken me days to get everything back to the way it was.

by Anonymousreply 8009/25/2013

Duh, helps if I actually include the link for you, R43:

by Anonymousreply 8109/25/2013

[quote]It's like all those idiots last week who didn't back up their iPhones, didn't update their iTunes and were surprised they had all kinds of problems with their updates. People stupid.

It's nothing to do with stupid. A lot of people aren't technically minded. They just want these things to work easily.

If your car breaks down or doesn't work people don't call you stupid just because you can't repair or work out what's wrong by yourself.

by Anonymousreply 8209/25/2013

R82, I think the 'car analogy' of "not backing up your phone/data/computer" is "never having the oil changed, and then freaking out when the car dies because of it".

There are base responsibilities for car ownership: gassing it up, changing the oil (even if you pay someone else to do it), regular maintenance. The same applies to PCs for sure, and to a lesser extent, phones.

by Anonymousreply 8309/25/2013

Thanks r80/81.

by Anonymousreply 8409/26/2013

This frau is NOT happy with her Applecare warranty!

by Anonymousreply 8509/27/2013

R74 Not quite on that ascending order of speed. 802.11a, though it's ratification predates 802.11b, is much faster. In fact, it's maximum speed is the same as the later 802.11g.

by Anonymousreply 8609/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!