Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

God, I miss the grammar trolls!

They kept this place shipshape.

They were a necessary evil.

Standards have dropped. I can't believe what people get away with these included.

by Anonymousreply 5709/26/2013

BTW how are Camille Grammar's bowels?

by Anonymousreply 109/24/2013

Punctuation marks go inside the quotations.

by Anonymousreply 209/24/2013

OP, I was essentially called an idiot by a grammar troll because I said "drug on" instead of "dragged on." And this was only 2 days ago...

by Anonymousreply 309/24/2013

R3, you have proven that the grammar troll was absolutely right. You are an idiot-- not just two days ago, but any and all times.

by Anonymousreply 409/24/2013

Fuk Ewe

by Anonymousreply 509/24/2013

OP, I had to stop correcting what were really only typos. There were just two fucking many of them.

by Anonymousreply 609/24/2013

I do wish we could edit our posts. I posted "your are" by mistake the other day, and I am still embarrassed by the typo.

by Anonymousreply 709/24/2013

As a grammar nazi myself, I was horrified by an auto correct I did not catch and was properly admonished for it.

You cannot miss that which has not left.

by Anonymousreply 809/24/2013

r3 says "snuck" when correct speakers use "sneaked."

by Anonymousreply 909/24/2013

r7 we could edit if "Preview" returned.

by Anonymousreply 1009/24/2013

This grammar queen is still here.

by Anonymousreply 1109/24/2013

The grammar queens are mean-spirited cunts.

by Anonymousreply 1209/24/2013

What did I done?

by Anonymousreply 1309/24/2013

R12: needs spellcheck; can't tell when it's not working.

by Anonymousreply 1409/24/2013

OP, Dear, generally there's a space after an ellipsis. Two spaces after an ellipsis that ends a sentence.

And R2, the punctuation precedes the quotation marks if it is part of the quotation, or if it is a period ending the sentence. If a question mark is ending the sentence, but not the quotation, it goes outside.

Example: Did he really omit the space before "me included"?

by Anonymousreply 1509/24/2013

Thank you, R15. I was just preparing the ellipsis refresher for the OP, and suggesting she consult the MLA's updated guidelines. (I know. Pick your own reference, then, but please apply it consistently.)

I would just add that since British usage concerning placement of quotation marks differs, we ought to be careful about pouncing. Do you agree?

by Anonymousreply 1609/24/2013

"Careful about pouncing"? Do you want to decimate DataLounge?

by Anonymousreply 1709/24/2013

OP: You should not use the ellipsis at all; instead, your sentence should have ended as "[...] days, including myself."

R1: You should never begin a sentence with an acronym. Also, the phrase "By the way" would be followed by a comma.

R2: Quotations [italic]are[/italic] punctuation marks; be more specific.

R3: Never begin a sentence with "and." Also, your sentence is complete; there is no need for an ellipsis.

R4: There is no space after a double dash.

R5: Fuck you.

R6: Yes, you should have included "sic" to signal your intent at humor.

R7: Your embarrassment has served you well.

R8: That is an improper use of a reflexive pronoun. Also, "auto correct" is not a noun, and the lack of a comma to separate a dependent phrase may be considered a run-on sentence.

R9: "Correct speakers" is a poor choice of wording.

R10: There should be a comma after "R7."

R11: Get to work, bitch!

R12: Yes.

R13: Yum!

R14: You should have used a comma instead of an ellipsis. Your second phrase should have begun with "I."

R15: There is no need to capitalize "dear" since it is not the beginning of the sentence, nor is it OP's proper name. The use of a comma after "punctuation" is unnecessary. Your second sentence is structurally sloppy. Lastly, there would have been no need for OP to include a space before "me included" unless OP had used a comma instead of an ellipsis.

by Anonymousreply 1809/24/2013

Many of you are typing on glass; pudgy fingers make many errors.

You decided to save the face and forget the ass, Yes?

by Anonymousreply 1909/24/2013

R18 [quote]What[/quote] ellipsis in R14? You're not even Queen of R18, let alone Queen of the Grammar Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2009/24/2013

Please shit in my mouth while I die of embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 2109/24/2013

[quote]OP: You should not use the ellipsis at all; instead, your sentence should have ended as "[...] days, including myself."

Dollface @ R17...I think there's a difference between grammatical errors and using a slangy lingo.

That's my personal feeling.

I'd like to add...maybe I'm just jealous of the younger ones who weren't pummelled into shape the way I was when I first got here. But standards have dropped immeasurably.

What I'm especially noticing is people using that instead of who or whom. For goodness sake!

by Anonymousreply 2209/24/2013

R18 turns me on!

by Anonymousreply 2309/24/2013

your all a bunch of cuntz

by Anonymousreply 2409/24/2013

R21 makes the frequent error of using "in" in place of "into," creating the absurd image of a person actually inside a mouth while shitting "in" it.

Of course the disgusting and misplaced statement made is irrelevant to the issues involved.

Shame on this nasty and illiterate person.

Also, it is good to recall that among knowledgable users of the language, leeway in some punctuation, placement and use is warranted. Brush up your Shakespeare, if you question the too-precise silliness that would constrict creativity.

But I'm watching you.

by Anonymousreply 2509/24/2013

r18, people who don't know when to use "me" or "I" say "including myself."

by Anonymousreply 2609/24/2013

Such a timely thread -- today is National Punctuation Day!

by Anonymousreply 2709/24/2013

[quote]Punctuation marks go inside the quotations

Only if the punctuation marks are part of the quote.

(the UK standards are correct in this instance)

The oxford comma should be used, and anyone who says it shouldn't be is just wrong. And should be stabbed to death.

by Anonymousreply 2809/24/2013

R28. You are wrong. Punctuation marks (period, question mark, exclamation point, colons and semi-colon) go inside the quotation marks.

R18. You got that now?

by Anonymousreply 2909/24/2013

[quote]You are wrong. Punctuation marks (period, question mark, exclamation point, colons and semi-colon) go inside the quotation marks.

No, that is an obsolete and archaic convention with no basis in logic, reality, or reason, and can even lead to some ambiguities and flat-out incorrect statements.

You're wrong. You'll figure it out soon enough.

It's a convention that is slowly, but RIGHTFULLY, falling out of favor. You'll catch up eventually.

by Anonymousreply 3009/24/2013

This is a tech site that most of you will have zero interest in, but the author posted a completely off-topic grammar rant today that is hilarious and belongs in this thread:

[bold]Punctuation is becoming increasingly decorative and less functional[/bold]

Check it out:

by Anonymousreply 3109/24/2013

Dear ones (sigh), joking aside, the true measure of excellence, apart from core issues of sense and spelling (a modern scourge, but useful) in contemporary usage is a consistency that indicates care. If punctuation or anything else distracts the reader, one is dealing with ineffectiveness. Ineffective verbal communicators are those who defeat their own purposes.

If an American insists on applying British quotation marking conventions in a peculiarly committed way that suggests motives other than communicative effectiveness, what is important is that the user understands and applies those conventions.

Consider this when trying to separate R30's opinions from her insanity, which has been communicated quite effectively.

by Anonymousreply 3209/24/2013

There is no insanity in trying to be consistent and accurate, R32.

The notion that "punctuation always goes inside the quotes" is the insane notion here.

Just because it's popular, doesn't make it any less insane.

by Anonymousreply 3309/24/2013

Oxford should start with a capital letter, R28.

by Anonymousreply 3409/24/2013

You are correct, of course, R34.

by Anonymousreply 3509/24/2013

No shit, OP, and add spelling, especially considering spellcheck. It's how we ended up with "loose" for "lose". On a thread today, we had "effeminites" for "effeminates".

by Anonymousreply 3609/24/2013

Miss them?? Gurl, they are like cockroaches that won't die.

by Anonymousreply 3709/24/2013

R37 Kind of like idiots who spell girl with a "u."

by Anonymousreply 3809/24/2013

[quote]Kind of like idiots who spell girl with a "u."

It IS spelled with a "u"!

by Anonymousreply 3909/24/2013

I guess if JAMF is your native language, R39.

by Anonymousreply 4009/24/2013

Is "shipshape" one word?

by Anonymousreply 4109/24/2013

Yes, r41.

by Anonymousreply 4209/24/2013

R25:[quote]Brush up your Shakespeare

Or brush up [italic]on[/italic] your Shakespeare.

BTW, R25, "I am going to take a shit [italic]into[/italic] my Anna Netrebko CDs before I send them to Putin" just doesn't sound right to me.

by Anonymousreply 4309/24/2013

OP, see the thread about Korean men started this afternoon. A grammar troll swiftly rushes in.

by Anonymousreply 4409/24/2013

Yes, R43, but of course I was quoting Cole Porter (who knew something about the language and its flexibility) and stifled my urge to alter it.

And you're right, of course, about the use of "into" there. Actually, "in" in this sense is very well established, and most people's discretion (if lack of sensitivity) regarding the language permits it.

Also, when referring to shitting as a public statement of outrage, dislike or protest, quibbling whether the crap is taken in, into, inside, on, onto, or all over the intended object or person seems rather precious.

by Anonymousreply 4509/24/2013

My sixth grade English teacher taught us to remember that we would need a rag if there was a tragedy, and that was the best way to remember how to spell it.

Grammar bullies are tragic or on the rag.

I like to be corrected a bit on my grammar, but pedantics are dull in literature, conversation and on the DL. If only they were down low...

Teachers should teach how not to be tragic. No one needs a schoolmarm demonstrating how to be a dull writer, conversationalist, or unfuckable ass.

by Anonymousreply 4609/24/2013

R46, why do you think that correct grammar makes for "dull" writing or conversation? Can you give examples?

I'm not a gay man, so I'll defer to you about what makes for an unfuckable ass.

by Anonymousreply 4709/24/2013

Why would you need a memory aid to know how to spell "tragedy," R46?

by Anonymousreply 4809/24/2013

R46, your understanding of tragedy is on a par with your communication skills and your apparent intellect.

I hesitate to suggest where you could start to begin to undo the mess you've made of yourself. A lost cause is, after all, a lost cause. But for your own protection against being placed in an institution against your will before the symptoms become too alarming to ignore, you might start with not equating ignorance and fuckability. Or, for that matter, ignorance with lack of menstruation. Since you seem to be vocal about your delusions, such things are not the sort of commentary to blurt out on that short bus you take to your job at Goodwill.

by Anonymousreply 4909/24/2013

I understand tragedy better after reading your response.

Try not to be so threatened by the expression of a tangential thought. It is not the same as the "Pressured Speech" that you display. That of course is a pathological manifestation of problems more serious for you. There is help.

Mrs. Smith, my past English teacher, would insist that I tell you that it is both rude and presumptuous to correct a stranger's grammar. To attempt to shame them to maintain your sense of order or for your personal aggrandizement is even worse. Not nice babe.

by Anonymousreply 5009/24/2013

Brush up on your Cole Porter, R43

by Anonymousreply 5109/24/2013

Women does not contain a "y".

by Anonymousreply 5209/25/2013

It does if you pronounce it Whim-Whine, R52.

by Anonymousreply 5309/25/2013

Dear Principe d'Italiani,

This is a thread about the condoned etiquette breach, both rude, presumptuous and pathological, that Grammar Trolls engage in.

What it is not is an etiquette thread.

by Anonymousreply 5409/26/2013

Thank you for your endorsement. r54.

by Anonymousreply 5509/26/2013

God, I miss brunch.

by Anonymousreply 5609/26/2013

I will become a grammar troll if someone will please get rid of the Islam troll[s].

by Anonymousreply 5709/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!