Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Worst series final episodes

Great series, awful final episode -

Which ones have you been most disappointed by?

by Anonymousreply 18710/09/2013

Lost. I always trusted it was going somewhere original, fresh, somewhere all it's own. I felt burned.

by Anonymousreply 109/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 209/23/2013

Will and Grace

by Anonymousreply 309/23/2013

Dynasty - we never got one.

by Anonymousreply 409/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 509/23/2013

WEEDS was pretty awful. The show was always a mixed/guilty pleasure, but the ending was really ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 609/23/2013

The Sopranos final episode had an intelligent idea behind it but I think they should have rejected it and tried out another. It just wasn't in keeping with the rest of the series.

The worst ever was "St. Elsewhere." Oddly enough, the best ever was "Newhart," which had exactly the same concept (it was all a dream); it also had the greatest single final line in sitcom history: "Emily, you need to start wearing more sweaters."

by Anonymousreply 709/23/2013

Dexter. What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 809/23/2013

I didn't love the ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT finale. But of course, that was before the latest season.

It's looking good now by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 909/23/2013

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Joss Whedon throws away both the season-long plot and series-long themes of Buffy's character development for a CGI-laden assfest that doesn't even make sense on its own terms, whether it's turning a coastal town into a giant sinkhole without the ocean rushing in or Buffy's "mortal wound" that somehow suddenly isn't an issue.

The Angel finale, where Angel and company unleash massive evil on Los Angeles and get lots of people and most of themselves killed for no particular reason was almost watchable, by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 1009/23/2013

Not quite the same thing but Glades. They left the hero shot in an empty house while everyone waits for him at his wedding. Then they cancelled the show.

by Anonymousreply 1109/23/2013

The Killing

by Anonymousreply 1209/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 1309/23/2013

I agree with Lost and Will & Grace.

by Anonymousreply 1409/23/2013

Will and Grace. I do find I seemed to enjoy it a little bit more after watching on dvd a few times. Also the final episode of M*A*S*H. Just didn't care for it.

by Anonymousreply 1509/23/2013

Loved the Lost ending though...and St. Elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 1609/23/2013

30 Rock.

I really didn't care for most of the last season and the finale was uunmemorable.

by Anonymousreply 1709/23/2013

"Three's Company". Jack meets the girl of his dreams and moves in with her, Janet gets married, and Terri gets a new job and moves to Hawaii. All of these life-changing events happen within a week or so. Then Jack and new girl (Vicky) are spun off into "Three's a Crowd". The Vicky actress is truly awful and the show is cancelled. No more Jack Tripper ever again!

by Anonymousreply 1809/23/2013

Prison Break

by Anonymousreply 1909/23/2013

Lost, Mistresses because there was no finale. Will & Grace. Hated Seinfeld's ending.

by Anonymousreply 2009/23/2013

Weeds. Boring and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2109/23/2013

(20) I wished The Ropers stayed on till the end. Who was Don Knotts trying to kid, he was the gayest thing on the show.

by Anonymousreply 2209/23/2013

Will and Grace!

by Anonymousreply 2309/23/2013

Here is a preemptive addition: Mad Men. Safe bet that the last shot of the series finale will be Don looking wistfully off to the distance. I'm also pretty sure that whatever song plays over the credits will drill into the empty skulls of Mad Men viewers the already heavy-handed theme of that particular episode/season.

And the idiots of the world will take satisfaction in the "intelligent" show they just watched. And the feminists and those who deconstruct racial themes in the media will have a field day with analyzing how Joan's bosom, or Peggy's relationship, are clues as to how Hollywood marginalizes people of color who snore in their sleep or some other underrepresented group. No matter, for only a few will realize that this show is utter garbage.

by Anonymousreply 2409/23/2013

WILL & GRACE'S kids getting together was a little nauseating, even more than their old age makeup.

As noted, 30 ROCK's final season was a letdown, as was the finale. It would have been amazing if it had even a fraction of the energy of their live-to-tape episodes.

by Anonymousreply 2509/23/2013

The Sopranos, without a doubt. Everybody expected Tony to die but nothing happened.

by Anonymousreply 2609/23/2013

The difficult thing is to find the ones that had a good finale. Let's face it, the majority of shows just run for too long. Generally the finales are the most cliché stuff ever. I never got the hatred for the Sopranos finale. I thought it was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 2709/23/2013

The Sopranos finale WAS brilliant. It's just that the show attracted both intelligent viewers and apes who need to be spoon fed the events unfolding before their eyes (or not, as the case may be). The apes just tend to chatter more.

by Anonymousreply 2809/23/2013

Dexter....A series that was practically built around the suspense of waiting to see how it would end. Viewers couldn't help but speculate over what the finale would be from season 1. And last night's ep was completely misguided and anticlimactic.

by Anonymousreply 2909/23/2013

Lost was really disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 3009/23/2013

I didn't watch any W&G after the first season. How did it end?

by Anonymousreply 3109/23/2013

Seinfeld and Roseanne both had horrible last episodes which followed horrible entire last seasons.

by Anonymousreply 3309/23/2013

35 responses and nobody said The Golden Girls?

by Anonymousreply 3409/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 3509/23/2013

What was so awful about the final episode of the Golden Girls? Sure, the wedding came out of nowhere, but the episode was wonderfully sentimental.

by Anonymousreply 3609/23/2013

Please, R34, don't leave out Beverly Leslie flying off the balcony and leaving Jack all his money. God, that was atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 3709/23/2013

The Golden Girls finale was very well done. I think it was one of the rare shows that actually improved in later seasons.

by Anonymousreply 3809/23/2013

Battlestar Galactica owns the thread. Beautiful character moments masked the fact that they'd written themselves into a corner and couldn't deal.

by Anonymousreply 3909/23/2013

SEINFELD failed in the last episode because if stepped outside itself and satirized its own ethos. Phew.

ROSEANNE failed because - culminating the last two season looking like an insane woman was running the show (which she was) - insanity can't end its performance well.

ST. ELSEWHERE was terrible. 3RD ROCK insulted its audience. Christ, does anyone remember DALLAS in its first go-round? The end was creepy and nastily demonic in an unfun way.

Worst ever? QUANTUM LEAP. Personally I didn't mind Bakula disappearing into endless loops (even if he did turn up again in MURPHY BROWN and STAR TREK COMATOSE), but it was just mean to viewers.

But SOPRANOS was great. The people who complain just don't get it - they're too literal and can't see that what happened was, in fact, what they expected to happen.

by Anonymousreply 4009/23/2013

St. Elsewhere-after five years of watching those tremendous characters we are left with the fact that they existed only in a little boy' imagination.

by Anonymousreply 4109/23/2013

Sorry, but I thought the St. Elsewhere ending was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 4209/23/2013

Laverne & Shirley

Of course the entire last season was pretty much humor-free.

Shirley was hastily erased from the program after the first 2 episodes.

Edna was killed off since Betty Garrett left the show.

Either Lenny or Squiggy wasn't on the final season - can't remember which, but I think Squiggy stayed with it and Michael McKean left.

And that final episode would have gotten rid of Carmine, if L&S was picked up for another season.

Laverne was barely in that season/series ender, it was all about Carmine moving to NYC and trying out for the cast of HAIR.

By itself it wasn't a horrible episode. It just had nothing to do with the series. And since ultimately Penny Marshall and ABC couldn't come to terms on another year, this was the end. It was no kind of a goodbye at all.

by Anonymousreply 4309/23/2013

[quote]Christ, does anyone remember DALLAS in its first go-round? The end was creepy and nastily demonic in an unfun way.

I can't remember. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 4409/23/2013

Can you imagine a time when a network had to beg Penny Marshall to act? Or direct, even?

by Anonymousreply 4509/23/2013

"it was all about Carmine moving to NYC and trying out for the cast of HAIR."

That was hilarious. Carmine thinking he could be in Hair!

by Anonymousreply 4609/23/2013

Star Trek: The Next Generation

by Anonymousreply 4709/23/2013

Worst finale of a series that I actually watched until the end: BSG

The others like Lost, Seinfeld and Dexter really stunk by the last few seasons. I didn't even care how they ended.

And the Sopranos finale was brilliant. I believe he was taken out. But one could also believe that he expected it at any moment. Loved it.

Most brilliant: Newhart and Six-Feet Under.

by Anonymousreply 4809/23/2013

Dynasty wins because it never got a finale. And season 9 was actually one of the best seasons.

The lame tagged-on miniseries finale was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 4909/23/2013

[quote]The difficult thing is to find the ones that had a good finale. Let's face it, the majority of shows just run for too long. Generally the finales are the most cliché stuff ever. I never got the hatred for the Sopranos finale. I thought it was brilliant.

Agree entirely, R29.

I always preferred the British model, where the best shows had both shorter and fewer seasons, and each season was treated as an end unto itself -- not as a build-up to a cliffhanger to the next season of something even more bombastic. Decisions about renewal often were made after a season had wrapped filming, so there was often no certainty of a chance to continue the story. This works better in constructing story arcs; it also means that series are viewed more experimentally, more apt to get pulled after the initial season which amounts to no more than a handful of episodes -- the flip side being that there's all the more reason to make the best of the opportunity at hand, rather than to milk a dry cow.

by Anonymousreply 5009/23/2013

"Lost." Disappointing, many gaps in logic and plot lines.

by Anonymousreply 5109/23/2013

SEINFELD's finale was just atrocious. Absolutely, utterly atrocious. Jerry Seinfeld was reportedly upset with the fact people didn't like it, but even Jason Alexander admitted later they had dropped the ball (and even that he felt the series had run about two years too long).

WILL & GRACE was almost as bad, saved only by one scene: the musical duet between Jack and Karen. It wasn't enough to redeem an otherwise terrible conclusion but still sweet nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 5209/23/2013

[quote]Edna was killed off since Betty Garrett left the show.

I don't think the character was killed off. Didn't they have her just leave Laverne's father by writing him a note on a mirror in lipstick?

by Anonymousreply 5309/23/2013

The Jackie Gleason Show when one of the June Taylor dancers tragically twirled herself off the stage and into the orchestra pit during a live broadcast show.

Watching them from above was the highlight of the show.

by Anonymousreply 5409/23/2013

I had low expectations for Lost, because it never really recovered from the illogic of the time jumping and the previous season finale with the bomb going off. I was afraid they were going to wipe out the previous five seasons and have everything be the alternate storyline of the last season, so was relieved when that alternate storyline was more of a fake-out. I also thought Jack's death with the dog staying with him was well done.

The Cheers finale was one I was disappointed at the time. I was more of a fan of the Sam and Diane years, so was kind of a bummer to see them break-up for good. It was also generally not a funny episode (although the show was pretty subpar the last few years in general). Newhart and MTM aside, comedies often don't do finales well, because they tend to be overly serious and bogged down with sentimentality and short on laughs.

by Anonymousreply 5509/23/2013

"I always preferred the British model"

"Decisions about renewal often were made after a season had wrapped filming"

But the problem with this model is that the actors take other work and aren't always available if the show gets renewed. And sometimes the writers put in the least amount of effort explaining why a character hasn't returned.

by Anonymousreply 5609/23/2013

The Will and Grace finale ruined the show for me. I couldn't even watch episodes in syndication; it was just so out of character.

by Anonymousreply 5709/23/2013

Didn't Felicity end with some bizarre time travel finale?

by Anonymousreply 5809/23/2013

I never actually saw this one, because it sounded so bad, but the Mad about You finale sounded awful. Told in the future, the grown daughter of the couple, played by Janine Garofolo, is bitter and in therapy and reveals the parents had divorced. Realistic perhaps, but I cannot imagine it was the fate most of the fans (that were left) wanted.

by Anonymousreply 5909/23/2013

Desperate Housewives. Bree becomes a politician, Gaby hosts a television show, and Lynette becomes CEO of Katherine's pastry business. So random and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 6009/23/2013

Another vote for BSG. I'm still angry that I wasted that much of my time during the last couple of seasons watching such a piece of crap. I'll never watch another show that Ron Moore has touched.

by Anonymousreply 6109/23/2013

Totally agree about BSG. The revelation about Starbuck was beyond stupid.

by Anonymousreply 6209/24/2013

I've seen the final episode again of Seinfeld in reruns and I think it plays better as just another episode in syndication without the FINAL EPISODE 4EVAH label.

It was a wasted opportunity though. Newhart is the gold standard. Maybe when they come up with a concept for a show, they should be required to have an exit plan before it goes into production.

Now LOST certainly failed at its logical ending. After the bomb cliff hanger in the penultimate season, I'd read lots of theories and some of them were pretty good, certainly better than the producers. One was something about alternate timelines created by the bomb, can't remember the details but it fit with the time-travelling.

However, despite not wrapping up the mysteries, the ending of LOST was *emotionally* satisfying. Ultimately, what was most important to me, were the characters. Having them all come together and recognise each other at the end was hugely emotional. I ended up watching the finale three times, twice on network and once online, and I cried buckets each time.

by Anonymousreply 6309/24/2013

Another vote for Roseanne. Some of the best tv ever imo but the way they killed it beginning with the lottery win was kind of like alzheimer's - the long goodbye indeed.

by Anonymousreply 6409/24/2013

I liked the Roseanne finale.

by Anonymousreply 6509/24/2013

[quote] I ended up watching the finale three times, twice on network and once online, and I cried buckets each time.

Good Lord!

by Anonymousreply 6609/24/2013

The Lost finale was so bad that I don't even remember how they wrapped it all up.

by Anonymousreply 6709/24/2013

Seinfeld should have ended when George poisoned Susan. That would have been a perfect finale.

by Anonymousreply 6809/24/2013

I didn't like Walnut Grove being blown up in the final episode of Little House on the Prairie.

by Anonymousreply 6909/24/2013

The MASH finale was very self-important and pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 7009/24/2013

What About Brian

by Anonymousreply 7109/24/2013

I just sat there horrified as I watched "Dexter's" series finale two nights ago. He had put so many people on his table over the years that the least the writers could have done is put him on somebody's table. And Deb dying was stupid. She should have lived, raise Harrison, and Hannah should've died! Masuka's daughter was introduced this season, and what was the point of that? She did not enrich the story at all! I have been a fan since day one and around the 6th season, the stories began to become lack luster. Maybe the writers and producers became complacent?

While on a rant, next year's season of "True Blood" will be its last. This past season was the worst one yet. Warlow was NOTHING like he had been portrayed. Please writers and producers, bring some great storytelling back to this show!

A show that is hot and is pumping out great storylines is "The Walking Dead". It keeps a high-octaned pace! Thank you for a great SEASON finale last year. Looking forward to new shows this fall!

by Anonymousreply 7209/24/2013

[quote]But SOPRANOS was great. The people who complain just don't get it - they're too literal and can't see that what happened was, in fact, what they expected to happen.

I also loved the ending and ultimately believed Tony got whacked, but David Chase says Tony did not die. That takes me back to my original reaction--the audience got whacked. The Sopranos are going on with their lives, but we aren't around to see them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 7309/24/2013

I disagree about Buffy. I really liked the final season of Buffy and the finale was just perfect for it. When at the end Buffy was watching the destroyed Hell-hole she smiled and I felt the happiness she felt: she was finally free.

I tried watching Lost on its first season for couple of episodes but it was beyond boring, and so I dropped it. I felt the show had no direction and nothing that happened in it really mattered. For some reason, possibly because of the global buzz about it, I started watching it during the last season and I really loved it. The finale at the church was beautiful, and it moved me.

Because I had not watched the series earlier practically at all I didn't feel like things were left unexplained, but I can certainly understand if some people were pissed about it. But that's why I didn't like of the show in the first place: I felt like writers had no story arc for the series at all but were just winging it as the series moved on. For some reason I can't stand that at times, even though it shouldn't matter.

The one ending that terrified me was the last episode of Sapphire and Steel. Joanna Lumley and David McCallum end up being trapped by an enemy for the eternity in some kind of room outside of time and space. It horrified me as a kid and it did even more when I rewatched it few years ago. In a way it's brilliant and quite suites the atmosphere of the series, but it's agonizing to know that the characters you love are trapped there forever and forever.

by Anonymousreply 7409/24/2013

Roseanne. Basically a big 'ol middle finger to the fans of the show by saying that everything after the writing basement episode was made-up. Becky was actually with David; Darlene with Mark. Jackie was a lesbian. WTF indeed.

by Anonymousreply 7509/24/2013

I didn't like the Mary Tyler Moore finale. I hate final episodes that feel they have to make drastic changes rather than a "life goes on" approach (like Everybody Loves Raymond and Cheers had.)

One of the big problems with the "Seinfeld" finale I had wasn't just that it wasn't even set in New York City and it was a clip show. Fine- but there had already been an hour long special of clips from the show just before the finale aired.

by Anonymousreply 7609/24/2013

R41 BSG had excellent ending.

by Anonymousreply 7709/24/2013

Dexter, for sure. so anticlimactic, like really? that's how it ends?

if you thought the ending of Buffy was ridiculous then i'm going to assume you haven't read any of the comics

by Anonymousreply 7809/24/2013

I loved the St Elsewhere final. The fact that they were all in the head of an autistic child was brilliant. The Newhart was great too. When he woke up in bed with Suzanne Phleshette I lost it. Great TV.

by Anonymousreply 7909/24/2013

I liked Buffy Season 7 as a whole probably because I saw it all at once on DVD rather than spread out over a season.

The final episode of Alice was pretty bad but by then, who cared?

"The Jeffersons" was deprived of a final episode which pissed the cast off to no end.

I'd rather on "Friends" they didn't move out of the apartment (and what idiots move out of a rent-controlled apartment in the Village?) but at least the entire final season was leading up to it with the babies and househunting etc and it didn't all come up at the last minute.

by Anonymousreply 8009/24/2013

Did Chandler and Monica at least sublet and make some cash? Please don't tell me they were stupid enough to just give up the apartment...

by Anonymousreply 8109/24/2013

R83, the show seems to imply they just gave it up. Which was a really stupid thing. If they hadn't given Chandler that "rent-controlled" line, giving up the apartment could have worked.

by Anonymousreply 8209/24/2013

Seinfeld's finale wasn't one of their better episodes, but it had some laughs. It was never going to live up to the hoopla.

I liked St. Elsewhere's finale.

I don't even remember Battlestar's finale.

Lost was meh, but there were worse finales out there (looking at you, Will and Grace).

And blowing up Walnut Grove was the best and worst series finale, all rolled up into one craptastic show.

by Anonymousreply 8309/24/2013

So much hype goes into the SERIES FINALE that it's hard for shows to live up to it. I agree that Newhart pulled it off brilliantly.

I don't expect too much, but I like a finale to at least wrap up long-standing storylines and think of the fans. Some shows did this, like Friends, Sex & The City, and Six Feet Under.

Others missed the mark. I was particularly disappointed by both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. Such great shows, but their finales to me were unsatisfying as a fan.

by Anonymousreply 8409/24/2013

I just watched the Newhart finale on Youtube. One of the reasons it works so well, is that the 70's Chicago bedroom set with the lamps matching the sheets is so distinctive that the audience recognized it immediately. The bedroom banter was just like it was in the old show, and hearing Bob describe the Vermont show to Emily "and there were these three woodsmen" was well written. The show ending with the theme music from the old show was a nice touch as well.

by Anonymousreply 8509/24/2013

In the final Newhart episode, that's Lisa Kudrow in the middle in black playing one of Daryl's wives.

by Anonymousreply 8609/24/2013

Nothing could be worse then the last season of Dexter. It stunk up the entire continent.

by Anonymousreply 8709/24/2013

"Newhart's" final few minutes are legendary but the whole episode played on the "final episode" tropes where things change, people sell their beloved homes and everybody moves away. Only "Newhart" had a "Five Years Later" which was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 8809/24/2013

I thought the ending to "St. Elsewhere" was quite stunning and original. It sure was a hell of a lot better than all those "they all ended up happily ever after" ending that most most shows seem to end up doing.

Here are some that I thought sucked:

Friends: "and they all lived happily ever after"

Six Feet Under: "and they all lived (and died) happily ever after"

ER: "and they all lived happily ever after"

Seinfeld: incoherent, forced and lame

Hill Street Blues; dull, dull, dull

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Buffy and friends save the world from all the vampires! Yahoo! Whoopee! Who ever saw THAT coming!

Homicide: Life on the Street: a clumsy, half-assed attempt to bring the show to a memorable close; pretty dismal except for the last few minutes

Star Trek: TNG: boring, nothing special at all.

by Anonymousreply 8909/24/2013

[Most brilliant: Newhart and Six-Feet Under]

I never cried so hard at anything as I did at the end of SFU. My ex and I were in Hawaii at the time and had a beautiful view of the ocean and the moon, but I was riveted to the tv. I was sobbing at the end.

Now I feel melancholy.

by Anonymousreply 9009/24/2013

Apparently no one remembers I got abducted by a flying saucer.

by Anonymousreply 9109/24/2013

Cheers - worst ever.

by Anonymousreply 9209/24/2013

I thought the ending of Roseanne was a lot better than expected, except for the switching of the couples. Becky and David...well, that might have been possible. But Darlene and Mark? That was absolutely preposterous; good-looking but stupid Mark with homely, weird, art student Darlene? It just seemed totally implausible.

by Anonymousreply 9309/24/2013

Among the worst... "Enterprise". However, I think the network and producers were in a hurry to just write off and be done with the show. Really enjoyed "Voyager" though with the two Janeways.

by Anonymousreply 9409/24/2013

What I liked about Cheers was that although they "wrapped up" everyone's story, they did it over the last 3 or 4 episodes. Woody's political career, Frasier and Lillith's final split, Rebecca's relationship with the plumber, etc. it didn't feel rushed, as they had set the stage for the character's stories.

Plus in the end, Sam remained at Cheers, which is what everyone wanted to see.

by Anonymousreply 9509/24/2013

Plenty of those already mentioned were terrible, but one that I fondly remember was "The Wonder Years."

Maybe it was because I grew from a child to a teen while watching it (and completely identified with Fred Savage's character), but hearing that final voiceover talking about reuniting with Winnie, and introducing her to his wife and child, emotionally spoke to that time in my life.

The drama and heartache of today will pass, and in it's wake is a fulfilling tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 9609/24/2013

Wonder Years was good, but I was sad they killed off Mr. Arnold.

by Anonymousreply 9709/24/2013

"LOST" owns this thread.

"Star Trek: Enterprise" was horrible.

"Seinfield" was awful.

by Anonymousreply 9809/24/2013

One unbelievable, though not necessarily bad, finale was the ending of "Good Times." The Evanses were finally getting out of the ghetto and movin' on up in the world. The end.

by Anonymousreply 9909/24/2013

My mother has never forgiven The Wonder Years for not having Kevin end up with Winnie. I thought it was more realistic, though.

by Anonymousreply 10009/24/2013

R93, that wasn't the finale.

by Anonymousreply 10109/25/2013

Gossip Girl: Serena gets married? After starting the show as a wild child?! Speaking of which, with this being the new Fall season of TV, I'm really missing GG. Style showed some episodes for awhile the network is now called Esquire TV for men or some such bullshit.

Frasier: Can someome help me here? I thought Frasier said he was taking the job in SF but, when he's on the plane, doesn't the flight attendant say, "Welcome to Chicago?"

by Anonymousreply 10209/25/2013

R104, he decided not to take the job but rather pursue a relationshiop with Laura Linney's character who lived in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 10309/25/2013

R95 It was the series finale of The Colbys.

However, the aliens must have taken her from Los Angeles and dropped her off in Denver, since the character reappeared on Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 10409/25/2013

[quote] but David Chase says Tony did not die.

Link please?

by Anonymousreply 10509/25/2013

"Good Times" was one of those final episodes when everything just happened at once.

However, I admit I did love the fact that Willona and Florida would still be together.

by Anonymousreply 10609/25/2013

The ending of "Good Times" was crap. Just another "they all lived happily ever after" snoozefest.

It was pretty unbelieveable how EVERYTHING happened all at once. Thelma's husband, who previously was afflicted with a sports injury that kept him from playing, was suddenly fit as a fiddle and back in action as a well-paid football player. Thelma was pregnant with their first child. Florida was going to get out of the crummy apartment and live with her newly flush daughter and son-in-law in expensive new digs. Willona becomes the "head buyer" at the ghetto "boutique" where she's worked all those years and presumably be making a shitload of money doing it, so now she'll be able to afford all those acting and dancing classes that her adopted darling Penny wants so she can become a star. She and Penny will be living in the same luxury apartment complex as Florida so they'll still be neighbors. And the shiftless J.J. miraculously gets a job as an artist for a comic book company, despite having no experience in that area. It was all really stupid and trite and predictable, as all those happily-ever-after endings are.

by Anonymousreply 10709/25/2013

R110, it's a fucking sitcom, not a documentary. It's okay if things work out happily for all the characters, because you're never going to see them again. If it makes you feel better, go back to the punch bowl episode and assume it ended right there, or right after they were forcefully evicted an hour later.

by Anonymousreply 10809/25/2013

Life on Mars. Only one season, but a great show and a super stupid ending.

I don't think Tony Soprano got whacked. I think the ending illustrated the paranoia he's going to face for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 10909/25/2013

Lost's horrifically bad series finale has become the poster child for bad series finales. I think it even bests (or worsts) the Sopranos.

by Anonymousreply 11009/25/2013

R111 needs to take a Valium.

It would have been much more interesting to see the Evans family still struggling at the end of the series. That was a major part of their appeal; their resiliency, their strength in the face of adversity. These qualities gave them a lot of depth. But the writers chickened out and wrote a sappy, stupid finale that no doubt a lot of not so bright viewers found satisfying.

The Evan's good fortune at the end of the series reminded me of the last season of Roseanne. The final season had the Connors rolling in dough and having all kinds of lunatic adventures with rich people...and it was revolting. Only at the end was it redeemed; it was all a fantasy in Roseanne's imagination. In reality, the Connors were still living hand to mouth and dealing with the reality of their limited resources, and Roseanne was adjusting to a life without Dan. It was a great way to end the series, with Roseanne alone, finding inner strength she never knew she had. Much more preferable than the "tie everything up in a pretty, happy package" that almost every series seems to end up doing.

by Anonymousreply 11109/25/2013

[quote]Friends: "and they all lived happily ever after"

YES. Awful, esp. Rachel with Ross.

by Anonymousreply 11209/25/2013

It did really annoy me that they had Rachel sacrifice her dream job and a career path that they had been building for multiple seasons to restart up the dysfunctional relationship. They had them break-up too many times to buy them as some great love. I actually thought in later years she had better chemistry with Joey.

by Anonymousreply 11309/25/2013

yeah, and poor Joey is the only one left all alone at the end.

by Anonymousreply 11409/25/2013

Apparently no one here watched Dexter, because Dexter was THE WORST!

by Anonymousreply 11509/25/2013

Hated the ending of the Sopranos

by Anonymousreply 11609/25/2013

Bitch at R114, I am chroniced the fuck out. Mind ya own bidness.

by Anonymousreply 11709/25/2013

Battlestar Galactica had a horrible finale, but its last two seasons were complete and utter shit.

Ditto Lost: terrible finale, but the culmination of a terrible finale season.

...these weren't out of left field, they were the culminations of crappy decisions upon crappy decisions in the writers room. Both shows, their show runners, and their writers deserve their widespread scorn.

by Anonymousreply 11809/26/2013

I actually liked the decision to end Seinfeld with them all going to jail.

by Anonymousreply 11909/26/2013

DEXTER series finale was AWFUL.

by Anonymousreply 12009/26/2013

"Battlestar Galactica" had an awesome finale. Probably the best television series ever and certainly one of the best series finales ever.

by Anonymousreply 12109/26/2013

I agree, R124. I thought it was one of the series' best episodes and a beautiful send-off. That last scene with Roslin and Adama was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 12209/26/2013

I can't believe that no one has yet mentioned the X-Files!

It had not one, but TWO godawful finales - one in Season 8 (still shuddering) and the Season 9 one.

Awful, awful ending to a wonderful series.

I fear Supernatural will end badly too.

Most long running series die badly - and the longer it runs, the worse the ending.

by Anonymousreply 12309/26/2013

It`s only natural that long running shows become weaker and more out of ideas the longer they run-and its especially tragic with sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 12409/26/2013

"Good Times" should have ended with everything being in Penny's imagination, trying to block out and escape the abuse from her mother.

by Anonymousreply 12509/26/2013

R124 I also agree. Liked it a lot. R125 I loved Mary McDonnell's performance from her first scene to the last. EJO was also excellent. Their final scenes were very touching. Their characters brought the fleet to their new home.

by Anonymousreply 12609/26/2013

They haven't even been broadcast yet, but they will be:

Grey's Anatomy How I Met Your Mother

by Anonymousreply 12709/26/2013

The only thing I liked about the Battlestar Galactica was Adama and Roslin. I hated that they all split up, hated ghost Starbuck's sudden disappearance, and I hated Six and Baltar's essences/or angels/or whatever the hell they were at the end showing how basically everything stays the same and we're all just repeating history.

To me that's the equivalent of "it was all a dream".

by Anonymousreply 12809/26/2013

Tony is dead. Dead. Dead.

by Anonymousreply 12909/26/2013

The series finale of Designing Women -- which was a spoof of Gone With the Wind -- was god awful. But just like Roseanne and Good Times, the entire final season of that show was a total unfunny mess.

by Anonymousreply 13009/26/2013

Beverly Hills 90210.

Dragon Ball GT

Queer as Folk

by Anonymousreply 13109/26/2013

Not the worst ending (it was actually good), but some of the worst slump ever after a couple of good seasons: Nip/Tuck.

by Anonymousreply 13209/26/2013

Nip/Tuck was so shitty in the last season that I didn't even bother to watch the finale. How did it end?

by Anonymousreply 13309/26/2013

Shitty the last season only??? More like shitty after S3. Anyway in a nutshell it ended with Christian and Liz having their own studio (so no more McNamara/Troy but Troy/Cruz)and Sean leaving to go helping the people in war-torn countries (something that was hinted many times during the series). Christian realized that Sean wasn't happy as a plastic surgeon for the rich and famous, and since Sean lost his family (they went to London or married to Ava hence not having any family knots in US anymore) he let him go. He actually bought Sean the plane tickets.

Maybe I liked it because I'm not fan of happily ever after despite all the crap that happened before.

by Anonymousreply 13409/26/2013

Count me in as another who never saw the big deal made out of TNG's final episode. I think it even won awards. It bored me to tears.

I actually liked Voyager's 2-part ending. I know a lot of people complained that it just ended as soon as they got home, but I didn't feel like we needed a huge homecoming. They achieved their goal, they made it home. The end.

DS9 had the most superior finale but I think that was because they used the final 4 or 5 episodes to really tie up all the loose ends. Out of all the Trek shows, DS9 had the most complex storylines and largest pool of characters to "send off." I think I enjoyed DS9 because it was never all about one or two characters (TNG = Picard, Data; Voy = 7 & The Doc) but the whole balance.

I stopped watching Enterprise during the second season.

by Anonymousreply 13509/26/2013

How All TV Series Should End:

by Anonymousreply 13609/26/2013

R132, I thought BSG's finale was the complete opposite of "it was all a dream" (like 'Lost'). For the whole series I thought BSG was the future but it turned out that it all happened somewhere else in the endless universe during Earth's prehistoric past. BSG confirmed that it was definitely real, there is a God and there are angels. My mind was blown by that.

by Anonymousreply 13709/26/2013

Glee. I mean whose idea was it for the whole cast to move to New York City and do a revival of Oh! Calcutta!

by Anonymousreply 13809/26/2013

[quote]Glee. I mean whose idea was it for the whole cast to move to New York City and do a revival of Oh! Calcutta!

by Anonymousreply 13909/26/2013

What was wrong with Dexter? I heard everyone hated it, but have no idea what happened. I wasn't watching, but I'm vaguely aware of the plot over the years (I watched the first three seasons, and read recaps of the next couple).

by Anonymousreply 14009/26/2013

Well first they brought back this poisoner from last season and Dex became like a sappy love sick idiot, chasing after her. So the writers turned a nasty untrustworthy, bitch...into some kind of Sunday School teacher. A woman who Dexter trusted with his family. Stupid idea.

Then they brought in interesting characters, just to kill them off...all the while keeping in, the unbelievable Hannah.

Then they decided to kill off the second most popular character, Debra. Some say she was killed off because Jennifer Carpenter wanted her killed off. Jennifer's opinion was not important. The fans are the important people. The fans were suppose to be entertained. The fans were suppose to be made happy...not the lazy writers or the cheap ass producers.

by Anonymousreply 14109/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 14209/27/2013

Who is this Dexter you speak of? Dex Dexter?

by Anonymousreply 14309/27/2013

No, Alexis, Dexter Fishpaw.

The Baltimore Foot Stomper.

by Anonymousreply 14409/27/2013

Lost absolutely owns this thread.

They all ended up sitting in a fucking church. Why not on a different looking beach somewhere-like the one at the end of Contact, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 14509/27/2013

I'm going to go with Lost as well. I didn't really care where they ended up so much - the show had enough going on that I could enjoy it as just a weird action adventure romp - but the church thing was queer times retarded.

by Anonymousreply 14609/27/2013

R141, I didn't say that I thought BSG was all a dream only that that kind of ending is on par with the cliched deus ex machina device "God did it" - both are essentially cop outs and so damn cliched and common that you're given to think that they're used because the writers don't know how to figure it out.

Plus they were an advanced civilization and gave up all of that to live out in the field? How many of them died right away because of a cold or childbirth or because they ate a poison plant or something. It was just bullshit. And apparently it was all for nothing because the epilogue with invisible Gaius and Six says it's all the same cycle happening over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 14809/27/2013

I'm sorry, R151, but my not going with a church as the laziest afterlife representation of all time, and everyone being stuck in a state, apparently waiting for Jack to show up, that only works if it negates the idea that they had any other lives or loved ones?

Yeah, I sure am being asinine.

Also it's called an opinion, you fat fuck. That's what I think. You can think something else. For instance, I think I'd like it if you died right this moment. You probably think something else?

by Anonymousreply 14909/27/2013

LOST was so obviously a case of the show being created about people being stuck in Purgatory, but when everyone guessed the mystery two episodes in, the writers denied it was about Purgatory and spent 5 seasons painting themselves into a corner.

by Anonymousreply 15109/27/2013

You aren't American so you can use queer and retarded in a pejorative way? Or because you aren't American you can't understand American shows?

by Anonymousreply 15309/27/2013

Smallville. The show was very uneven. Season 1-3 were great, as were Seasons 6 and 8. Everything else ranged from "OK" to "terrible". The finale of the show embodied the worst things about the show and I cannot believe I actually expected it to be good when season 10 was the worst season of the show.

by Anonymousreply 15409/27/2013

If Lost ended in a non-linear limbo where was Claire's son? He should have been there. Maybe not as a baby, though. Having them all in a church was too Our Town-ish for my taste and I think any hint of religiosity should have been left out of it.

by Anonymousreply 15509/27/2013

Another World and the gorilla.

by Anonymousreply 15609/27/2013

[quote]I think any hint of religiosity should have been left out of it.

The central struggle of the show was "man of God" vs "man of science" and time and time again, it came down on the side of "man of God". The show was all about religiosity. Or at least spirituality. Of course it had to end there.

by Anonymousreply 15709/27/2013

All the questions the Lost finale DIDN'T answer.

by Anonymousreply 15809/27/2013

R145, I feel like that doesn't really answer my question (mostly because I don't really know what happened in the final two seasons with any details).

IT seems to me like the only valid ending for Dexter was for Dexter to either be caught and jailed, or to die. Did that happen or not?

by Anonymousreply 15909/27/2013

No, r163

by Anonymousreply 16009/27/2013

So how did it end?

How do you END the series if Dexter is free to just keep on doing what he's done the entire series? I'm confused.

They knew it was the final season, so why wouldn't they wrap it up?

by Anonymousreply 16109/27/2013

Others here wrote how it ended. Debra died, Dexter goes on leaving as a lumberjack, beard and all, separating himself for fear of hurting them from the people he loved, Hanna and Harrison. He gives Harrison to Hanna, the killer, to raise him in Argentina. No kidding.

The producers told that they have been plotting this end for two years, so in their mind they wrote a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 16209/27/2013

Yuck. Glad I bailed if that's the case. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 16309/27/2013

Oops, obviously I meant to write "Dexter goes on living".

Yes r167, it was a shitty finale, as the whole world noticed. A finale you can expect from a soap.

by Anonymousreply 16409/27/2013

Is it true that if "Twin Peaks" had continued on for another season, it would have involved another murder? Wouldn't the killer had been FBI Agent Dale Cooper, since the killer entered his body at the finale of the show?

by Anonymousreply 16509/27/2013

R152, in the context of another series "God did it" could be a cliche. BSG was all about faith in the unseen. The belief in a purpose and a reason for life. It was heading to that conclusion from the very first episode. If there was nothing out there they should have killed themselves after the destruction of Caprica. Their society was built on faith and that was the reason the survivors pressed forward. The finale was logical and very rewarding.

by Anonymousreply 16609/28/2013

Except for Rachel caressing the photo of her mom, Ada, I think the ANOTHER WORLD one was pretty much of a bust.

The show had been gutted of so much history over the decades, I have to say it was the show I was least sad to see go, but the one whose heyday I miss probably the most.

I think GUIDING LIGHT had a very good one with Josh and Reva reuniting and Alex going away after Alan died and Phillip becoming the oldest Spaulding in the house. Knowing Ed and Holly are off together somewhere is a nice feeling, too.

by Anonymousreply 16709/28/2013

As the World Turns - the canceled soap. They give every single character in the massive cast a happy ending after 50+ years on the air except Luke Synder the gay character making sure that his boyfriend dies in a train accident and he ends up alone and miserable. Probably the only moment organizations like NOM had something to cheer about.

Also the end of Kyle XY was very unsatisfying. The finale left everything open for interpretation. And in film/tv uncertainty is verboten. We never find out if innocent Kyle turns bad. All the story lines developed in season 2 were left unresolved. It was clear that the writers all assumed that there would be a season 3 but the network (ABC Family) pulled the plug on the show before they could write a satisfactory conclusion to the series. Admittedly season 2 was considerably weaker than the first season so I do understand their logic of canceling the show.

by Anonymousreply 16809/29/2013

The last season of "Roseanne" was absolutely terrible. However, the final episode was good and I thought the closing moments were very touching.

by Anonymousreply 16909/29/2013

The Seinfeld finale sucked. And they totally redeemed themselves with the fake Seinfeld reunion on "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

by Anonymousreply 17009/29/2013

Nip/Tuck for me. I should have known better. The last few seasons had been remarkably abysmal, but I kept hoping they'd at least give us a strong finish. Ava returning was a brilliant idea, but she really didn't have much to do.

I guess it was at least kinda realistic. Sean finally got his dream and Christian stayed the same narcissistic prick he was from the very first episode.

Had this all happened in season 3 instead, maybe I wouldn't have cared as much, but after sitting through a few shitty seasons, it just seemed rude.

by Anonymousreply 17109/29/2013

i thought the cheers finale was pretty bad..

by Anonymousreply 17209/29/2013

i thought the Golden Girls series finale was pretty bad. It felt fairly rushed and typical of the Golden Girls, there alot of plot holes. Like why did Rose feel like she had to move out? in the season before when Dorothy was going to get married to Stan, Rose didn't feel the need to move. Why didn't Clayton, the sisters or Dorothy's kids attend ?

by Anonymousreply 17309/29/2013

R176, I loved the Cheers finale. It ranks in my top ten I think.

LOST is one of the worst for me, personally. And Seinfeld. Honestly, I can't think of too many others. Perhaps I've just blocked them out. But usually, for shows I've stuck to through the end (and which actually ENDED rather than getting canceled with no resolution), most end decently.

by Anonymousreply 17409/29/2013

Here's a great summary of why the Dexter finale was so horrible...

by Anonymousreply 17509/30/2013

R35 I don't agree about Seinfeld's entire last season. I thought THE BETRAYAL was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 17609/30/2013

You know, for YEARS we watched everyone traipsing around that fucking opera house on Battlestar Galactica, wondering what it all meant, what profound meaning it had for the story. Turned out that profound message was "Hey, just a few more yards over here! Almost there! Yay, you made it!".

For that alone...

by Anonymousreply 17709/30/2013

Again, DEXTER!!

by Anonymousreply 17810/01/2013

Some critics considered the last episode of "Dinosaurs" to be one of the worst, but I totally disagreed.

For those of you who don't remember it, "Dinosaurs" was an animated tv show by Jim Henson Productions. Ostensibly it was geared towards kids, but it was actually so well-done it was entertaining to adults too. The character "Baby Sinclair" had a couple of catchphrases: "Not the Mama!" and "I'm the baby...gotta love me!"

The final show was truly depressing. But I thought it was absolutely perfect. I wasn't a regular watcher of "Dinosaurs" but I did catch the final episode. I was shocked by it and I never forgot it. It really packed an emotional punch. That rarely happens in a tv finale.

by Anonymousreply 17910/01/2013

Here's a link to that Dinosaurs ending. Ballsy as hell. It gave me nightmares as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 18010/01/2013

i liked the ending to Desperate Housewives, but i wished they were able to bring back more of the characters that died, particularly Edie...

by Anonymousreply 18110/02/2013

Just watched the series finale of Frasier and I need to take back my post.

Everyone saying good-bye had me crying like a little bitch.

As for my question upthread, the flight announcement was "Welcome to Chicago." Although Frasier told Bebe he would take the job in SF, Laura Linney's character (can't remember her name on the show) went back to Chicago. I guess he decided he wanted love over money.

I would have sublet the apartment at Elliot Bay Towers. Just having a glass of wine or port on the balcony (on a nice day) would be reason enough to keep it.

by Anonymousreply 18210/09/2013

R185, I liked the final shot with all the dead people on their lawns, but the fact that all the women went on to become titans of business and over-the-top successful once they left the street was a stretch and really cheapened it for me.

by Anonymousreply 18310/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!