Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

State Denying Name Changes To Same-Sex Couples

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Tennessee is turning away same-sex couples married in other states who seek to have their names changed on driver's licenses and other state documents.

State legislators banned same-sex marriage in a statute and voters did the same in the state constitution.

The result is, as more Tennessee couples go to one of the 13 states and Washington, D.C., where same-sex marriages are recognized, they are having trouble getting it recognized back home. Complicating matters is the federal government now recognizes same-sex couples and allows Social Security cards to be issued in married names.

The Tennessean reported that attorneys are recruiting potential couples for a lawsuit challenging the state's ban.

by Anonymousreply 809/23/2013

Tennessee is a failed state like Pakistan.

by Anonymousreply 109/23/2013

First of all, none of these couples should be surprised by this, and I'm guessing they aren't. TN is one of the most hostile states for gays in the US. Couples in VA, the Carolinas, and the rest of the South would get the same treatment.

It will definitely require a lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 209/23/2013

Does the bottom take the top's last name?

If so, that's sort of hot.

by Anonymousreply 309/23/2013

I stopped at Nashville, Tenn(AP)

by Anonymousreply 409/23/2013

Can't anyone change their name to any name they want in any state they want whether they're gay or not? How is this an issue?

by Anonymousreply 509/23/2013

[quote] Can't anyone change their name to any name they want in any state they want whether they're gay or not? How is this an issue?

Name changes for married people are handled differently than someone petitioning the court to change their name for other reasons. For starters, all you have to do is show your marriage license most places and it gets changed automatically.

In order to change your name otherwise, you have to get a court order and jump through other hoops, and pay (sometimes exorbitant) filing and other court fees, publish a legal notice in a local newspaper for a month, and then return to court for the petition to be granted.

by Anonymousreply 609/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!