Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Curling up with a book

This is a spin-off of the 'cradling coffee mug in both hands' thread. Does anyone here really curl up when reading a good book? What does that mean? Your legs get tucked under and your body takes on a tight 'S' curve ? Doesn't that make the legs lose circulation and the spine hurt? Does this post require cold outdoor temperature, a fireplace and a soft throw from the sofa? Or can it also be done in summer? Is it for women only? Is it for mature women only? Can college texts be read this way or is it only for light fare? How about magazines or iPads, are they allowed for curling? Can it be done in morning or is strictly an evening activity?

by Anonymousreply 2409/23/2013

Reading this post made me want to curl up and die.

by Anonymousreply 109/23/2013

There's a blog called --you guessed it-- "Curling Up with a Good Book", featuring a cartoonish image of some chic book in one hand, cradling (with one hand, even) a coffee cup in the other.

by Anonymousreply 209/23/2013

You have to wear a cable knit sweater when doing this.

by Anonymousreply 309/23/2013

I live in South curling, no cradling, not even reading for most.

by Anonymousreply 409/23/2013

Don't we have a fitted sheet troll here? He would know.

by Anonymousreply 509/23/2013

I like to read standing up.

by Anonymousreply 609/23/2013

OP, you're way over thinking this. The curling up with a book has the emphasis on the book, not the curl.

When you get to reading a good book you let your body get into a position that allows you comfort while reading.

You don't curl first, then read.

by Anonymousreply 709/23/2013

It all depends on the chair. No sofa, no bed, a chair. Something over-stuffed, upholstered in medium or dark colors, maybe something a little nubby or fuzzy, never shiny. Long, wide, cushy arms. A separate back pillow, to allow for maximum body displacement and comfort. An ottoman is optional. Chairside table, with: a good reading lamp; pad and pencil; a coaster; your mug of choice filled with a soothing warm or hot beverage(and perhaps a few favorite cookies, shortbread maybe?) The art of curling up is so personal I wouldn't dare advise anyone on how to do it. Experimentation is key, and what works today may not necessarily work the next time.

by Anonymousreply 809/23/2013

Everytime I want to unwind by curling up in my tweed plaid pantsuit on the sofa with a good book while listening to Muzak on my hi-fi, Minnie and Laura Louise come by to ask me the price of my recliner.

by Anonymousreply 909/23/2013

My favorite way to read a book is on a carpeted floor, stomach down and my elbows on a pillow.

by Anonymousreply 1009/23/2013

Me too!!

by Anonymousreply 1109/23/2013

I'm very guilty of this and don't care who knows it. I read in what Americans call the living room, while sitting in a dear old chair with my terrier. Negotiating our spots on the chair and ottoman necessitates "curling up" with the book. Sometimes the dog is by my side, other times he curls around my feet. Without the beast on guard, Consuela uses this time to pilfer the house of its many earrings and caftans.

by Anonymousreply 1209/23/2013

R10 is a 12 year old girl.

by Anonymousreply 1309/23/2013

It works best if you have one of these.

by Anonymousreply 1409/23/2013

I don't read, I like to be read to.

by Anonymousreply 1509/23/2013

MUST OP be such a literalist?

by Anonymousreply 1609/23/2013

Bazinga, r1!

by Anonymousreply 1709/23/2013

I often read in bed and curl up. It's a fetal position thing. I sleep like that as well.

by Anonymousreply 1809/23/2013

Every weekend day you will find me lounging on my overstuffed chair with my legs on the ottoman and my two pug dogs lying by my side. Reading a good book, sipping assam tea (with milk and splenda) and eating fresh-baked (well, at least on Saturday) cookies. I tend NOT to cradle the mug as I usually have the book in one hand.

Jealous bitches?

by Anonymousreply 1909/23/2013

I have one of these as my reading chair. Best furniture I've ever bought.

by Anonymousreply 2009/23/2013

I'm so jealous R20. I saw that chair on the Trendir website and have wanted it ever since. How much did it cost?

by Anonymousreply 2109/23/2013

That's were I first saw it too R21. I don't remeber how much it cost but it wasn't cheap.

by Anonymousreply 2209/23/2013

[quote]Your legs get tucked under and your body takes on a tight 'S' curve ? Doesn't that make the legs lose circulation and the spine hurt?

It didn't when I was young, but it does now. So curling up with a book is yet another physical exercise that's harder for "seniors" to do? Life becomes exhausting after awhile....

by Anonymousreply 2309/23/2013

Do you smell those cookies too, r19?

by Anonymousreply 2409/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!