Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Affordable Health Care Plan

Why are unions, organizations, and the politicians we sent to Washington allowed to Opt-Out?

by Anonymousreply 10810/17/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 109/23/2013

you too can opt out, OP, if you are happy with your present insurance plan.

by Anonymousreply 209/23/2013

The plan mustn't be as wonderful as Obama promised or no one would want to opt out. Time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 509/23/2013

Businesses are cutting back on employees and hours to save money on insurance by forcing staff into the new plan.

by Anonymousreply 609/23/2013

[quote] The plan mustn't be as wonderful as Obama promised or no one would want to opt out. Time will tell.

Why would I want to go with a plan through an exchange that will likely cost me $400-$500 (or more) a month, when I pay $60 a month for the plan that I have via my employer?

by Anonymousreply 709/23/2013

.... because they would cause a political stink if they were forced to deal with the shit that they are forcing on everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 809/23/2013

r8, Obama said "you can keep the plan you have," but didn't tell you the $60 will be double or more when the dust settles.

by Anonymousreply 909/23/2013

Why is it so difficult for the US to provide universal health care when it was so easy for other countries to do so?

by Anonymousreply 1009/23/2013

R10..... or that employers will simply stop offering their health insurance so that employees will have no choice but to look elsewhere.

I just saw something interesting on the news. By mail, a man was informed of his new Hunana(sp?) health insurance premium for his family of 4.

It went from $330 to over 900 a month.

by Anonymousreply 1109/23/2013

Excuse me r14.... The man showed his premium letter from Humana on the news.

It's not bullshit. Humana also gave a long list of reasons for the sharp increase and Obamacare was one of them.

Humana also said it won't be the only ins. co. doing this.

by Anonymousreply 1509/23/2013

The people that wrote it don't want it. Should tell you all you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 1609/23/2013

R18, which is cheaper than offering plans.

by Anonymousreply 1809/23/2013

If Obama's plan was to provide coverage for the 13 million currently uninsured, coverage through our employers would not be affected.

by Anonymousreply 2009/23/2013

AARP who claims to represent seniors told members ObamaCare was the way to go. Because of changes in Medicare Advantage, AARP will make billions selling insurance. When this was revealed 20,000 people cancelled their membership.

by Anonymousreply 2109/23/2013

If you're going to socialize health care, why not go single payer? I wish Obama had gone for it, but I guess it never would have passed. The concept of insurance is no different than gambling.

by Anonymousreply 2309/23/2013

[quote][R12] I call bullshit. Nobody in this country could get insurance for a family of 4 for 330 a month.

He probably went on COBRA after leaving or losing his job.

That sounds more likely. Employer's contribution ended and cost skyrocketed.

by Anonymousreply 2409/23/2013

OK, this is really simple.

1) People didn't want healthcare reform to mean that those of us who have satisfactory coverage had to change it.

2) Therfore, it doesn't.

3) If it did, you would see huge numbers of people being vehemently against it; far moreso than you do now. For the simple reason that those of us who have good coverage want to keep it.

Therefore, why the fuck would anyone want it to be any different than it is as concerns the fact that people can, rather than going into the marketplace to purchase insurance plans, simply keep the coverage they have now?

OK.

Let's move on.

by Anonymousreply 2509/23/2013

r3, Exactly how is this not a legitimate question? It's a very fair question that deserves an answer.

by Anonymousreply 2709/23/2013

The bill was written by lawyers for the insurance industry. The IRS is in charge of enforcement. What's not to like?

by Anonymousreply 2809/23/2013

[quote]I call bullshit. Nobody in this country could get insurance for a family of 4 for 330 a month. [quote]He probably went on COBRA after leaving or losing his job. That sounds more likely. Employer's contribution ended and cost skyrocketed.

I'm a healthy 48 year old non-smoking male. The cheapest insurance I can find for ONE is 500 a month. How does someone cover a family of 4 for 330? Even with Employer contribution which would run about 50%, that's still 660 for 4 people.

by Anonymousreply 3109/23/2013

[quote] I wish Obama had gone for it

Obama was a proponent of single-payer when he was running. I think he shifted because he knew it would never happen.

by Anonymousreply 3309/23/2013

No one is opting out.

If you have an employer plan you're not eligible for a subsidy. I have no idea what organizations OP is talking about - but elected officials have an employer based plan. If they prefer to get coverage on an exchange, they can. They just won't get a subsidy.

Unions aren't opposed to Obamacare, There exists a health insurance plan - Taft-Hartley Plans - that cover employees who work in industries where it is common to move back and forth between employers. The plans are administered by the employers and the unions. So several employers would administer a plan with a union.

Because the plans are partly administered by the union they tend to be like other union negotiated plans - low price high benefit.

The unions involved don't want the plans to be considered employer based - that way workers would be eligible for subsidies. They claim since the plans are non-profit they shouldn't be considered employer based.

The Obama Administration claims they should be treated like employer based plans and therefore employees are not eligible for the subsidies.

So in reality the issue is not one of wanting to opt out, but rather one of being allowed to opt in with a subsidy.

In short OP's question is bogus.

For the record Obama was not for a single player plan when he was running for President or when he was running for the nomination. Both Obama and Clinton had very similar plans - neither of which came close to single payer.

by Anonymousreply 3609/23/2013

Whatever the problem is - I'm sure voting left or right will solve it.

by Anonymousreply 4009/23/2013

As Congress and Staffers Try to Weasel Out of Obamacare, Americans Smell a Rat.

by Anonymousreply 4309/24/2013

Anyone who has coverage can opt out.

Why would a politician (senators, congressment) want to opt out? They have the best medical plan in the whole entire world. Do you know what is covered on their plan? EVERYTHING. Do you know what their deductible is? NOTHING. Do you know what their co-pays are? NOTHING

Would you opt out of that and purchase your own insurance? NO you wouldn't

As for the unions. All union employees are insured. Would you pay for your own insurance if you had coverage through your employer? NO, you wouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 4509/24/2013

Obama's health care plan is so good all the Democrats in Washington are cancelling their government benefits and signing up for it....Oh wait a minute...

by Anonymousreply 5109/26/2013

Thanks, R37, I learned something.

by Anonymousreply 5309/27/2013

because the care and coverage will be sub-par

by Anonymousreply 5409/27/2013

[quote]Why is it so difficult for the US to provide universal health care when it was so easy for other countries to do so?

Those other countries have shitty health care services. That's why. People fly to the US to seek treatment. They also fly to the US to get their medical degrees. Government fucks up at an astronomical rate.

by Anonymousreply 5609/28/2013

[quote]I wish Obama had gone for it, but I guess it never would have passed.

Democrats controlled congress, so yes, it would have.

by Anonymousreply 5709/28/2013

[quote]Too bad you are dumb as fuck. Most people have insurance thru work.

The irony.

by Anonymousreply 5809/28/2013

In other words simply not affordable after rent for anyone making under 85k in an expensive city.

by Anonymousreply 5909/28/2013

It is because of all the opt-outs that people have become cynical about the so-called Affordable Health Care Plan. If it's so good, why all the opt-outs? As a matter of fact, why are opt-outs allowed? If it is the savior of the American health system, why would opt-outs even be in the equation?

by Anonymousreply 6109/28/2013

[quote]As for unions, [R37] has it exactly right. What the OP very carefully failed to tell you is that the Obama administration refused to go along with the union position, refused to grant the exception, despite the fact that there is a very reasonable case to be made there.

I get insurance through my union and the insurance I have won't change. So, yes, we are excluded from AHC.

by Anonymousreply 6509/28/2013

so my doctor sends me a notice in the mail that due to Obamacare coming and all it's attendant changes, he is going to start charging an annual fee. It doesn't say how much but that more info is forthcoming. When I saw him Thurs. he said Obamacare will reduce by 30% the amount he can charge. And older docs will retire early, fewer people will decide to become doctors, quality will decline, and blah, blah blah.

Anyone else's doctor doing something like this?

by Anonymousreply 6709/28/2013

My Primary physician retired last month. He said he wouldn't be making enough to offset the cost of an office. He is about 100 years old, so it would have happened soon anyway, but AHC just made it happen now.

by Anonymousreply 6809/28/2013

[quote]Why did congress "opt out" of the ACA?

They didn't, moron. You're simply lying.

[quote]No, you retarded monkey, the Dems decided to pass a bill exempting them (and their staff) from Obamacare.

Q.E.D. Are you really this stupid? Congressmen and their staffs will be purchasing insurance on the ACA-mandated health care exchanges just as will millions of other Americans.

Perhaps you should actually learn to read before you start spewing ignorant drivel?

by Anonymousreply 7110/03/2013

R72 is right, just heard it on the news. The right is spreading the lie that congress has opted out, it's not true.

by Anonymousreply 7210/03/2013

r64, r65, r67 et al is the poster who is now trying to say that Harry Reid hates kids with cancer.

CLEARLY a PAID TROLL.

by Anonymousreply 7310/03/2013

Nah, R74, he's just our resident libertarian/anarchist/Ron Paul acolyte/paranoid/anti-Fed/gold bug/conspiracy theorist troll. He's hilariously ignorant, so just read his posts and laugh.

by Anonymousreply 7410/04/2013

Another day, another round of FUD* Trolling from some wingnut fool.

*FUD = (attempting to sow) Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

More and more people are figuring out what Obamacare is (government setting up a system where you get competitive/affordable health *insurance*, from companies in the market, partially subsidized by government funds) and what it isn't (government taking over your actual *healthcare*).

by Anonymousreply 7510/04/2013

Retard at R14, I have a family of 4, a 218$ per month premium and $500 deductible. Suck it.

by Anonymousreply 7610/04/2013

My current health plan carrier notified me by mail the other day that they are terminating my coverage effective 12/31/13.

I am self employed.

by Anonymousreply 7710/04/2013

r78, do your have Aetna? My 72-year-old aunt who's been them for 26 years received a similar notice.

by Anonymousreply 7810/04/2013

If you wonder why Americans tolerate paying double the world average for health care, with worse results, this thread is exhibit A. So many don't understand insurance, health care, or economics - they just spout off fear-based talking points.

Plenty of people's rates have skyrocketed in the past, but insurance companies never had Obamacare to blame. Isn't it interesting that they would do so in years where health care and insurance rates have slowed in growth?

People have been dropped from insurance in the past, but no one ever pointed the finger until the ACA showed up.

Americans prefer to feel fearful and find scapegoats than to address the real problem - profit-driven healthcare.

by Anonymousreply 7910/04/2013

OP is SUCH a troll!!!

"allowed to Opt-Out" = straight from those creepy Uncle Sam as puppet-head gynecologist ads!

by Anonymousreply 8010/04/2013

If a wage earner makes $75k for a family of four and has a catastrophic/minimal medical insurance policy that covers the family for $300/month with an incredible deductible, then hell yes their premium is going to increase to NORMAL premiums for REGULAR coverage. The maximum is just under 10% of adjusted gross income.

The vast majority of people will pay a reduced premium for increased coverage.

Just that simple.

However, the fucker that makes $75k a year also has ways to knock down their adjusted gross income which means cheaper insurance premiums.

by Anonymousreply 8110/04/2013

Why isn't anyone complaining about the lack of links in this thread? I really am tired of carring the water.

That's how we do it here. Post a damn link or it never happened.

Freep arguments are always about what's going to happen in the future, slippery slope bullshit that never comes true.

Try arguing about something based in present times. Always either the future or the past ( biblical references.) What about present times?

Insurance compiles needed a damn law, and now they have one. Shut up or move.

by Anonymousreply 8210/04/2013

Really, 80 posts and no request for a link. You deserve the trolls.

by Anonymousreply 8310/04/2013

OP's been schooled up one side and down the other, r84. I think you need to reserve your frustration for one of the other anti-ACA troll threads.

by Anonymousreply 8410/04/2013

those are the doctors we can all do without, so good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 8610/05/2013

The problem with your theories, R86, is that they were also touted when we added Medicare and Medicaid. The theories didn't come to pass when those programs were added; there really isn't any reason to believe they will this time, either.

by Anonymousreply 8710/05/2013

A doctor called into a Talk Show. He said under the Obama plan their is no flat rate per visit. The more patient he sees, he will get less for each visit.

by Anonymousreply 8810/05/2013

r83, when a link was posted, the response was from people who claimed the source was biased. No way to tell who's telling us the truth. In a few years we may know if Obamacare is working,

by Anonymousreply 8910/05/2013

Wow, r89!!

For that reason alone I think Obamacare WILL fail and WILL NOT work! thanks for sharing!

by Anonymousreply 9010/05/2013

no but nice try r100.

by Anonymousreply 10110/06/2013

say what?

by Anonymousreply 10310/06/2013

Wow, round up a series of critiques from radical rightwing "news" sites, from the likes of Avik Roy, Ilana Mercer and Henry Blodget and wow, we're all just going to believe you... not.

And really, if Michelle Malkin lost her insurance, so much the better. If there was ever a candidate for a demise by grease fire, it's anchor-baby Malkin.

Lets be clear, trolls: no one said the rollout was going to be as smooth as silk. No one expected the rollout would be without glitches. In the real world, when we have such problems, we fix them. Or, do you live a technological utopian existence where every time you boot up your computer, it launches perfectly, takes you right to the program you were thinking about using (without, of course, hitting a button), and then, magically and with no input from you, or help from anyone, give you the complete answer to your problem? As the President said the other day, even when Apple rolled out IOS 7, there were problems, and no one suggested that Apple stop selling iPhones and iPads until they got it perfect. Or that Apple should be shut down, for that matter.

As for being six days in and no one being able to sign up for Obamacare, I'll be the first to call you a liar. I signed up for it, so I should know. Oh wait, healthcare.gov was slow on Oct. 1st, so I came back on the 2nd and finished the process. Oh, it's a failure! I've made a horrible mistake! How have I lived for these, lo, four days?

by Anonymousreply 10410/06/2013

it's not that they're allowed to opt out, it's that they don't need the affordable health care plan since they already have the best of the best so they can just keep their existing plan. no one has to switch plans, they can keep their current one if they wish.

by Anonymousreply 10510/06/2013

Over the course of Obamacare’s first week, 9.5 million people visited healthcare.gov, the federal government’s official healthcare website and the de facto exchange for residents of two thirds of the states. In addition, the 16 operational state-run exchanges combined to attract over 3.1 million visitors during the same period. In total, 11.3 million consumers visited the federal and state exchanges during their first week of operation. Unfortunately, what started as a fire hose of interest, resulted in only a small trickle of actual healthcare enrollments.

In the end, just 36,000 consumers, or 1% of all those who attempted to register for the federal exchange, successfully enrolled in Obamacare.

by Anonymousreply 10610/17/2013

There was a DOS attack on the servers, which inflated the total number of visitors and prevented people who were actually interested from signing up.

by Anonymousreply 10710/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.