Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The 10 Richest States In America

You'll be surprised by this list:

by Anonymousreply 1809/23/2013

Connecticut is on that list because of the celebs who live there, generally in the NW part of the state, but also in other places. It is also wealthy because of the part near NY, Greenwich and Fairfield and the Westport area.

Go to Eastern CT. It is like a trip to rural Maine. Bridgeport is very poor. It reminds me of Camden, NJ. Norwich is called No-Rich for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 109/22/2013

California and New York are not in the top 10. That's odd.

by Anonymousreply 209/22/2013

Didn't realize my state would be #1, although with uber-rich counties like Prince George's and Bethesda, I can see why it is.

by Anonymousreply 309/22/2013

R2, California and New York have lots of wealthy residents, but they also have a lots of lower income residents, students, the unemployed, and people living below the poverty line, bringing down their average.

by Anonymousreply 409/22/2013

And Bethesda is in which county, R3?

by Anonymousreply 509/22/2013

The 10 poorest states, no big surprises here. ---------------41.Oklahoma------------------- ---------------42.South Carolina------------- ---------------43.Louisiana------------------ ---------------44.Tennessee------------------ ---------------45.New Mexico----------------- ---------------46.Kentucky------------------- ---------------47.Alabama-------------------- ---------------48.West Virginia-------------- ---------------49.Arkansas------------------- ---------------50.Mississippi----------------

by Anonymousreply 609/22/2013

It's all the lobbyists, lawyers, and defense contractors in Maryland and Virginia that make it so wealthy.

Sucking at the huge Federal teat...

by Anonymousreply 709/22/2013

My state, NH.

Enough said.

by Anonymousreply 809/22/2013

Louisiana was not in the bottom ten for awhile. Remember, they have lots and lots of oil. That's what conservatism has done to them.

by Anonymousreply 909/22/2013

And Arkansas is swimming in natural gas.

by Anonymousreply 1009/22/2013

The only surprising ones on the list are Hawaii and Delaware, because one thinks of them as having some insanely rich people and lots of lower middle people. All the others have either been on the list forever, or have been moving up because government privatization and militarization has made Maryland and Virginia into cesspools of stolen tax dollars.

by Anonymousreply 1109/22/2013

Here's the direct link, rather than the idiotic HuffPo.

by Anonymousreply 1209/22/2013

And the poor states are are deeply red, well except for NM

by Anonymousreply 1309/22/2013

The only surprise for me was Minnesota. Sure, there's money a plenty in the Twin Cities and Rochester, but there are a Hell of lot of Native Americans, especially up north, and they have to drag the average down.

In fact, there are big chunks of Northern Minnesota, basically Bemidji east to the old mining towns like Hibbing, that are as grim as anywhere I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 1409/23/2013

Tons of liberal states.

by Anonymousreply 1509/23/2013

Wouldn't any of us be better off in these wealthy states, with higher tax revenues, low unemployment, etc?

by Anonymousreply 1609/23/2013

I'm surprised Puerto Rico wasn't among those states mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 1709/23/2013

All 10 of the bottom 10 states are Republican leaning with maybe the exception of NM and LA.

And the folks of Alabama, Mississippi, KY, and SC will be the first people lining up to defund Obamacare.

So sad. If only it had included dental.

by Anonymousreply 1809/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!