Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Margaret Atwood

Any fans on the datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 1307/04/2014

Yep!

Had to translate one or two paragraphs from The Edible Woman in my third year at uni and like dit enough that I remembered her name.

Then, many years later, bought completely by accident an AUTOGRAPHED copy of the Handmaid's Tale for 2,25 euro. Loved it. Met my best friend at the same time and learned she had translated large portions of the book for her own dissertation at uni.

Later read and loved Moral Disorder. Same for Blind Assassin, this book should get more recognition even though it won the Booker Prize (don't know anyone who's read it).

My girlfriend and her mother are absolute fans of Edible Woman.

by Anonymousreply 109/22/2013

I also like Desert Hearts (the movie), and while the book (Desert of the Heart, by Jane Rule) is noticeably different in tone and also plot, it's fun to know Margaret Atwood wrote The Edible Woman while she was staying at Jane Rule's place in the early sixties.

by Anonymousreply 209/22/2013

I've only read The Handmaiden's Tale, but I loved it. Why is the movie so hard to find on DVD?

by Anonymousreply 309/22/2013

Homophobic cunt

by Anonymousreply 409/22/2013

Why do you say that, R4?

I read almost all of her books, she does not write about gays, iirc. In her interviews she mostly comes out rather bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 509/22/2013

Isn't there another thread on here about her? I mean, I've always liked her (my fav being The Robber Bride), but I smell a corporate shill.

Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 609/22/2013

Because she has a new book out, R6? You could be right. The last one I liked was Moral Disorder. Haven't read the speculative sci-fi trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 709/22/2013

[quote] but I smell a corporate shill.

R6 - really? Why?

by Anonymousreply 809/22/2013

A shining jewel in the Canadian literary crown.

by Anonymousreply 909/22/2013

Just finished "The Blind Assassin." What do those of you think who read her?

by Anonymousreply 1007/03/2014

The Robber Bride is about Barbara Amiel.

by Anonymousreply 1107/03/2014

The mAddam trilogy is very enjoyable. Wicked and Swiftian

by Anonymousreply 1207/03/2014

can't really read her stuff. i have tried. the only interesting novel was the hand maiden's tale. alice munro and mavis gallant two other canadian writers are actually leagues above atwood's writing.

by Anonymousreply 1307/04/2014
Need more help? Click Here.