Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Crumbs Cupcakes

I was sent 6 of these for my birthday.

These cupcakes were the most flavorless bizarre things I have ever had.

Each flavor tasted the same, there was no taste!

I wondered if maybe I had a stroke which took by sense of taste but i appear to be fine.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 3010/13/2013

They're disgusting. Actually, the only decent things at Crumbs is the water.

There's a Crumbs near my apartment, so I gave them a shot, but I was tired of their bland, oversized, shitty desserts.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 109/22/2013

Is Crumbs the "Starbucks" of the cupcake trend?

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 209/22/2013

I agree. They really don't taste any better than Entennmans. Banana pudding and Blue Marble ice cream are my favorite sweets. So over all the cupcake, donut, cronut bullshit.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 309/22/2013

Yes, R2. Over-priced, too, for the suck...er, tourists.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 409/22/2013

You ate six cupcakes?

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 509/22/2013

This means war.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 609/22/2013

I thought we moved onto over-priced macarons.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 709/22/2013

OP, I was unimpressed with Crumbs Cupcakes as well.

The cake part of the cupcake should be very exciting, but at Crumbs, not only is the cake dull, the icing is rather bland too.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 809/22/2013

They really are dreadful. Dry as chalk and tasteless.

On top of that, they are huge -- a bigger pile of crap is still a pile of crap.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 909/22/2013

Some of you never cease to amaze me with your snobbish taste in food. We get it, you're "above it".

Their cupcakes are delicious. I ate several this morning alone! I'm thinking of using them as my holiday gift this year. A little expensive, but it will be worth it.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 1009/22/2013

It's not about being a snob, R10. It's about paying a ridiculous amount of money for poor quality cupcakes when some smaller bakery does a better job for half the price.

Snobbery would be looking down on someone who eats at the Olive Garden, not someone who's paying way too much for crappy baked goods.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 1109/22/2013

You've never eaten cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery have you? It's like eating sand with frosting that will put you into diabetic shock.

I never understood why Magnolia thought their overly sweet frosting would make up for their dry-ass cake.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 1209/22/2013

I can't believe I drove all the way from Pittsburgh for a rat cake!! (in reference to Magnolia Bakery temporarily being shut down for rat infestation)

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 1309/22/2013

r12 I agree about Magnolia Bakery. Their cupcakes are completely about the icing, which is way too sweet.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 1409/22/2013

Crumbs cupcakes are awful, but their brownies and breakfast things like croissants and muffins are ok. Eh loaf cakes. BUT, they have the best iced coffee in NYC. It's Starbucks coffee, but it tastes better, not burnt like at Starbucks stores.

Best "chain" cupcake in NYC is Buttercup Bakery, Billy's a close second.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 1509/22/2013

I work by both a Sprinkles and a Baked by Melissa - MUCH better than crumbs and better portion control.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 1609/22/2013

The thing is r14, I love super sweet things. I was raised in the South drinking sweet tea. If I say it's too sweet, then it should come with a hazardous to your health label. LOL

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 1709/22/2013

If you live in Manhattan and you're near the upper west side, go to the Treat House. It's sort of fancy, overpriced Rice Krispie Treats. But they're pretty good.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 1809/22/2013

I love Magnolia's vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting. I've heard all the criticisms, but in my opinion, no other pricey bakery comes close.

And Crumbs blows.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 1909/22/2013

Ridiculously overpriced cupcakes. And they suck. On the other hand, I've bought a few of their cakes for birthdays, etc. and they're much much better. The coffee is good, too. But the cupcakes are dreadful.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 2009/22/2013

I've never eaten a single thing from Crumbs, but the name of the place reminds me of the most wonderful crumb buns from the Munson Bakery on Long Island when I was growing up. Mmmmm.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 2109/22/2013

r12/r17 Southern boy here too. Was raised on sweet tea. Was raised on making everything as sweet as possible.

So, like you, when I saw something is too sweet, it's should come with a warning.

That said, the icings are always quite good and original, even if they are too sweet.

But the cake part is so bland.

Can't understand how these cupcake places have developed such a great reputation when its all about the icing.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 2209/22/2013

Avoid vegan cupcakes if at all possible. For such a 'healthier" alternative, they are sweeter than five mouthfuls of Ike & Mike washed down with simple syrup. Using applesauce or prune butter in place of eggs and "organic sugar" in place of processed does not good eating make.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 2309/22/2013

[quote] Can't understand how these cupcake places have developed such a great reputation when its all about the icing.

Because many people only buy cupcakes to eat the top part with the icing and throw the rest of the cake away.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 2409/22/2013

"Because many people only buy cupcakes to eat the top part with the icing and throw the rest of the cake away."

Then they should eliminate the middleman and just serve blobs of buttercream in tin foil cups. Would be cheaper.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 2509/22/2013

As a reminder, we sell cans of frosting for all those craving a sugar fix. And at a significantly lower price than many of these cupcake stores.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 2609/22/2013

Yeah I don't get Crumbs either. Dry and too large. I think Baked By Melissa is the best, even though you have to buy a group of them because they are so tiny.

I really don't know why it's so hard. Even plain yellow cake cupcakes from the box at the supermarket come out better than some of these bakeries.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 2709/22/2013

They stole Cronuts!

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 2809/22/2013

Can we talk about the shitty Macarrons (sp?) that are being done by bakeries?

I had one in France, near Mont Blanc, omg, that was amazing.

I've had several at Bouchon Bakery & it was crap. I know the head pastry chef for Keller is French but I read his bio & he did not start out in patries in France. Keller hired him on the spot when he sent his resume since he was French.

The Bouchon ones are huge, doughy and pretty much flavorless. The ones in France are like a taste spectacular, as if there were fireworks going off in your mouth.

And I've tried other ones & bakeries in the "gourmet capital" where I live are just shit. Their bread is shit, their pastries are shit. Once you've been to Paris and had the amazing stuff in France the USA shit is just merde.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 2909/22/2013

They're overpriced. And not very good. 'nuf said.

by I would have rather eaten pussy!reply 3010/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.