Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Janis Joplin was overrated

There. I said it. She was a horrible singer unless you consider shrieking the same as singing and I don't like anyone of her songs.

by Anonymousreply 2509/22/2013

If only she had the foresight to record "Party In The USA" or "Work Bitch" first, she coulda been a contender.

Joplin was actually a tremendous, soulful and gifted singer. My parents were huge fans of hers and I grew up on her music. She was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 109/22/2013

Don't you mean any one?

And really? Cry Baby, Piece of My Heart, Summertime, Me and Bobby McGee, all fantastic - Summertime has been sang by everyone, and she still managed to make it interesting.

Are you the OP of the Anthony Perkins thread?

by Anonymousreply 209/22/2013

It's interesting to imagine what sort of career she might have had had she lived longer. Music, especially rock-n-roll, was changing even before she died.

Would she have transitioned into a softer, more conventional 1970s singer/songwriter? More MOR? Would she have gone a harder rock route?

Or would she just have dropped out of sight like Grace Slick (eventually) did?

by Anonymousreply 309/22/2013

OP = Taylor Swift's #1 fan

by Anonymousreply 409/22/2013

No I'm not the OP of the Anthony Perkins thread.

I realize she has fans and followers but I don't admire her singing or her songs.

by Anonymousreply 509/22/2013

Not as overrated as Aretha.

by Anonymousreply 609/22/2013

The fact that she was unattractive mattered more than her talent. She would not be allowed to audition today.

by Anonymousreply 709/22/2013

Agreed OP.

I love a lot of that era, but Joplin's charms have eluded me.

by Anonymousreply 809/22/2013

[quote] Would she have transitioned into a softer, more conventional 1970s singer/songwriter? More MOR? Would she have gone a harder rock route?

This is true for most singers who died young. Truthfully, Karen Carpenter would be enjoying an Olivia Newton John/Barry Manilow level of fame now, with a career to match, making cover albums of old classics.

by Anonymousreply 909/22/2013

[quote] Not as overrated as Aretha.

HOLD MY WEAVE!

by Anonymousreply 1009/22/2013

No I don't like Taylor Swift either. I thought Grace Slick had a great, powerful voice.

by Anonymousreply 1109/22/2013

Unlik many stars of today, she is still revered and has a legacy. She has influenced countless female stars like Alanis and Melissa Etheridge. Still one of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 1209/22/2013

She was a very strong performer.

Watch how her voice beautifies this song and makes the most of it. She had soul and the blues in her voice.

by Anonymousreply 1309/22/2013

Just because you don't like her singing style doesn't mean she's overrated.

She was one of the few women at the time who embodied the true spirit of rock music. Big Brother & The Holding Company were completely intertwined with the Haight-Ashbury scene. She was at Monterey Pop & a headliner at Woodstock; you can't talk about 1960s rock music without referencing her. She inspired countless other artists. While she has never particularly been one of my favorites, I understand her legacy and don't feel that she's overrated in the slightest.

by Anonymousreply 1409/22/2013

I love how she could lift up a song with her edginess.

by Anonymousreply 1509/22/2013

I never could abide her screechiness. That just ain't singing to me. Couldn't stand Slick's machine gun vibrato, either. I'm taking my shoes off for yo' ass right now, R6!

by Anonymousreply 1609/22/2013

Janis Joplin = authentic White Soul

by Anonymousreply 1709/22/2013

Pearl has never left my top 5 albums of all time list and never will.It's about the passion and she can sling a blues with the best of them. "Cry Baby" is burned into my brain.

"Summertime" remains a stroke of pure genius.

by Anonymousreply 1809/22/2013

Known to piss and shit herself regularly.

by Anonymousreply 1909/22/2013

She always sounds phony to me.

by Anonymousreply 2009/22/2013

OP, please tell us artists who you do like? Just curious.

This ought to be rich.

by Anonymousreply 2109/22/2013

listen to this

I didn't like her screamy stuff although I'm a rock fan. She did overdo it sometimes but she could certainly sing her head off.

by Anonymousreply 2209/22/2013

R10, enough of that. Truth!

by Anonymousreply 2309/22/2013

Go back home to Mommy and Daddy 'cuz you need more shaping and molding.

by Anonymousreply 2409/22/2013

[quote]Known to piss and shit herself regularly.

Isn't the pretty common with junkies?

by Anonymousreply 2509/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.