Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Robert Altman

Is his later work any good? I caught Dr. T the other night and was surprised at how entertaining it was, especially given the cast (Helen Hunt, Richard Gere, Tara Reid, Kate Hudson)

I've never seen Gosford Park or Prairie Home Companion. I've heard mixed things from people who have seen Gosford Park (they either love it or hate it) I also never saw the one where Neve Campbell plays the ballet student.

I'm a huge fan. I'd say his late 70's early 80's work is often wrongly maligned (aside from Three women) HEALTH and A wedding are in particular, true gems that need to be reevaluated.

by Anonymousreply 3609/25/2013

I haven't watched it in years, but I loved Cookie's Fortune. Julianne Moore seriously is wonderful in it.

by Anonymousreply 109/22/2013

3 Women is a very underrated and unusual Robert Altman film. You should watch it if you haven't already.

by Anonymousreply 209/22/2013

I've always liked "Welcome to L.A.," directed by Altman protege, Alan Rudolph. It's a fairly straightforward reconstitution of "Nashville" in Nuestra Senora, but it works more than it doesn't work, and is rather Altman-y.

by Anonymousreply 309/22/2013

The ultimate mixed bag. I adore NASHVILLE, GOSFORD PARK, and a few others.

Conversely, there's a special circle in hell where they're showing POPEYE, HEALTH, and several others nonstop. (Many would put DR T on this list, too, BTW.) Others are merely dull. I have THE COMPANY on my DVR and keep falling asleep about 1/3 of the way into it.

He was a unique American talent and a filmmaker worth investigating, OP.

by Anonymousreply 409/22/2013

NASHVILLE is finally coming out on Criterion Blu this December it was announced this week. I hope they do COME BACK TO THE FIVE & DIME, JIMMY DEAN JIMMY DEAN someday since it is long out of print.

by Anonymousreply 509/22/2013

I absolutely loathe him. I think he took pretense to new, unbelievable heights. I wish all you fans had invested in his post-MASH work. Even the New York Times backpedaled their initial rave of Nashville, calling it "condescending." (read pretentious) Mike Wallace's interview with him on 60 Minutes was a new low in television.

by Anonymousreply 609/22/2013

R6 loathes, his condescension dripping with pretense...

Oh the irony....

by Anonymousreply 709/22/2013

"The Player" and "Shortcuts" are two of his later works that shouldn't be missed.

by Anonymousreply 909/22/2013

SHORT CUTS was one of the best movies of the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 1009/22/2013

Gosford Park is terrific, and The Player is one of his best ever.

by Anonymousreply 1109/22/2013

I liked SHORT CUTS, too. I also liked A Wedding, Three Women, and Rich Kids (which he only EPd).

But my favorite Altman movie, my introduction to Altman (though I didn't know it at the time) was The Long Goodbye, with Elliot Gould as Philip Marlowe and Malibu Colony as Malibu Colony. Great, great movie.

by Anonymousreply 1209/22/2013

Julian Fellows wrote Gosford Park and has said it was inspiration to write more on that era, which has become Downton Abbey . . . . I love Altman . . . M*A*S*H . . . Short Cuts . . .Vincent & Theo . . . Gingerbread Man . . . . The Player and Kansas City to me are classics in addition to the already mentioned Nashville . . . .opps, almost forgot McCabe and Mrs. Miller and A Wedding and Buffalo Bill and the Indians . . . . there was also a specacular one man movie of Phillip Baker Hall playing Richard Nixon's descent into insanity, I believe it was called Secret Honor. . . . . It should also be noted that with rare exception actors adored this man for how he allowed them to develop and show the characters they inhabited.

by Anonymousreply 1309/22/2013

"Three Women" Rudolph's "Welcome to L.A."

What part of OP's question - is Robert Altman's LATE WORK any good - didn't you guys understand?

OP, yes, some of his later movies, "The Player," "Dr. T." and especially "Gosford Park" are good.

by Anonymousreply 1409/22/2013

My favorite is The Player but I loved Short Cuts and PHC too.

by Anonymousreply 1509/22/2013

If you can't die, R14, at least evaporate.

by Anonymousreply 1609/22/2013

[quote]3 Women is a very underrated and unusual Robert Altman film.

3 Women is considered a cult film. I don't think it's underrated at all.

[quote]SHORT CUTS was one of the best movies of the 90s.

Yup. I haven't seen it in a while. I should really watch it again. Some of the best films set in LA are Altman's films.

by Anonymousreply 1709/22/2013

Prairie Home Companion has its moments: Streep and Tomlin and Keillor are good but the Kevin Kline character is a washout. Not great Altman but not bad.

Gosford is one of his masterpieces and gets better with each viewing. Easily the best ensemble movie of Altman's and one of the best ensembles ever, working together seamlessly with both major and minor characters.

The Gosford Park DVD is one of the best DVD packages.

by Anonymousreply 1809/22/2013

LOVE Gosford and Clive Owen is hot in it. Great actors in it, includng Helen Mirren, Maggie Smith and Emily Watson.

Prairie has its fun moments, the best belong to Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly as a singing duo. Fans of Woody's bare feet will enjoy the DVD. Otherwise, I thought it was somewhat boring.

Other than Gosford, the only other Altman film I really really love is 3 Women.

by Anonymousreply 1909/22/2013

"Short Cuts" is still one of the most accurate and bleakest look at LA life in the 90's. Still hard to watch the Andie McDowell/Lyle Lovett birthday cake scene. Remember a lot of the buzz was about Huey Lewis's dick in that pissing scene was a prosthetic?

by Anonymousreply 2009/22/2013

What about putrid garbage such as "A Wedding" and "Pret a Porter?" You seem to be ignoring the stars that slammed that effluvia on the movie going public. And those sycophants in the media that went along with this crap. Remember Lillian Hellman in her historic last interview:

"What do you enjoy?"

"Movies ...... Robert Altman."

And so it goes.....

by Anonymousreply 2109/22/2013

R21, Altman was like Woody Allen - he put out some dreck, sure, but he also made some outstanding movies.

by Anonymousreply 2209/22/2013

Altman was highly erratic. He made many brilliant films--MASH, McCabe, The Long Goodbye, Thieves Like Us, Nashville, Jimmy Dean, Gosford Park, Secret Honor, The Company, Prairie Home Companion--and he made his share of duds too--Images, A Perfect Couple, OC and Stiggs, Kansas City.

by Anonymousreply 2309/22/2013

Weird to see this thread right now. I'm watching Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean on MOVIE network.

by Anonymousreply 2409/22/2013

SISSY'S GOT RUBBER TITS!

by Anonymousreply 2509/22/2013

I like Images - it's so 70s glamour, and a pretty good psychological horror/thriller.

by Anonymousreply 2609/22/2013

[quote]Remember a lot of the buzz was about Huey Lewis's dick in that pissing scene was a prosthetic?

Yes it was. He had a tube down his leg so he could pee in the scene and it would have been impossible to get multiple takes as the camera pans down from him to something in the water.

by Anonymousreply 2709/22/2013

The "genius" of Nashville was entirely unintentional. Mediocre filmmaker at best.

by Anonymousreply 2809/22/2013

R28 = failed filmmaker

by Anonymousreply 2909/22/2013

Another vote for Cookies Fortune. Love that movie and Glenn was never better.

by Anonymousreply 3009/22/2013

Gosford Park has elements in common with A Wedding. If you like Downtown Abbey, Gosford Park is the better version of very similar material (and, I believe, the same location).

Short Cuts is great. Love that movie.

Really, really liked Company (the Neve Campbell project). Not as "Altman as the two mentioned before, but still very enjoyable).

Cookie's Fortune I found boring, though you can say the film was successful in its atmosphere.

Magnolia (PT Anderson) and Short Cuts have often been compared, and I like Short Cuts much, much better.

by Anonymousreply 3109/22/2013

"Magnolia (PT Anderson) and Short Cuts have often been compared, and I like Short Cuts much, much better."

Magnolia suffered from the over-acting of Julianne Moore, who looked shockingly like "Ray Of Light" era Madge in the film. If the film had focused on Tom Cruise's shockingly good performance and John C. Reilly's star-making performance, then it would have been way more interesting.

Also thought William Macy's gay ex-quiz kid turned doofus should have had better taste than to want to get into the bartender-with-braces's butt.

by Anonymousreply 3209/22/2013

OC and Stiggs is actually quite good if you know the source material. Jane Curtin was hilarious as the drunk Schwab mother.

by Anonymousreply 3309/22/2013

True, Tom Cruise was indeed exceptional in Magnolia. Then the part was tailor-cut for him.

by Anonymousreply 3409/22/2013

"Gosford Park" is perfect - a wonderful mix of social commentary and satire, whodunit, and comedy. Don't trust anyone who doesn't like it, which is a sign of a defective personality and aesthetic and cultural illiteracy.

by Anonymousreply 3509/22/2013

Remember HEALTH? Mercifully, you don't. And the classic "A Wedding." Altman held a big party after that and pledged all the profits from that movie to the Equal Rights Amendment.

Gore Vidal had previously stated that Anita Bryant wouldn't be assassinated by an outraged homosexual but by an outraged music lover. Well, Robert Altman wouldn't have been done in by an outraged movie goer but by an outraged ERA opponent.

by Anonymousreply 3609/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.