Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Thoughts on Anthony Perkins from "Psycho"?

I watched clips of the film on youtube and thought he did an outstanding job. The film was a bit corny because of its age, but in general I liked his acting. It's really sad he died in the 9/11 attack.

by Anonymousreply 3409/26/2013

"It's really sad he died in the 9/11 attack."

No he didn't. His wife did. He died of AIDS-related complications on September 12, 1992.

by Anonymousreply 109/22/2013

Tony Perkins was long gone by 9/11.

His WIFE, Berry Berenson, died on 9/11 - she was in one of the planes that hit the WTC.

by Anonymousreply 209/22/2013

He was actually very modern in this film, a proto-hipster. Compare him to the stand-up, uptight, stagey John Gavin. Affable through calculation, skinny, sociopathic - a young male archetype of the current moment, that Norman.

by Anonymousreply 309/22/2013

Brilliant performance, he should have been nominated for an Oscar. But if the AMPAS didn't appreciate Hitchcock himself, they certainly weren't going to give any of his actors a gong.

Perkins had been known as a puppy-eyed male ingénue before "Psycho". Audiences must have been shocked, to realize what Norman Bates was really like.

by Anonymousreply 409/22/2013

It was probably considered good for its time, but there is nothing interesting or involving about that performance now. Very 1960.

by Anonymousreply 509/22/2013

The best moment is the expression in his eyes at the end of the movie. For me, it makes the whole movie.

by Anonymousreply 609/22/2013

He was so messed up in real life, though. There was a blurred line between Perkins and Norman Bates (minus the murder part) big time. I never found him the least bit sexy, only sad and a little creepy. Which I think he was.

by Anonymousreply 709/22/2013

Really creepy in Mahogany also. If you have seen in, check it out.

by Anonymousreply 809/22/2013

You watched clips of Psycho on youtube? You found it corny because of its age?

Can you think and chew gum at the same time?

This had better be a troll post.

by Anonymousreply 909/22/2013

Did you know that Vera Miles is still alive?

by Anonymousreply 1109/22/2013

She changed her name to Sylvia.

by Anonymousreply 1209/22/2013

Anthony and Berrie were not together at the time of his death. They had a horrible fight in front of Jasmine Guy's house and broke up.

True story.

by Anonymousreply 1309/22/2013

He was fantasic in Pretty Poison, as was the super creepy Tuesday Weld. (Look for Beverly Garland as her tough, cynical mother.)

by Anonymousreply 1409/22/2013

R4, Janet Leigh was nominated for an Oscar for Psycho as supporting actress.

by Anonymousreply 1509/22/2013

[quote] Did you know that Vera Miles is still alive?

And so is John Gavin.

by Anonymousreply 1609/22/2013

OP is a real dipshit!

by Anonymousreply 1709/22/2013

Were there ever naked pictures?

by Anonymousreply 1809/22/2013

" But if the AMPAS didn't appreciate Hitchcock himself, they certainly weren't going to give any of his actors a gong."

Oh, R4, do try to keep up with the facts.

Hitchcock was nominated for Best Director for Psycho and Janet Leigh was nominated for Best Supporting Actress.

by Anonymousreply 1909/22/2013

I watched Psycho again for the first time in years. I had forgotten how sexy Anthony Perkins could be, even in that role. Perkins very much deserved an Academy Award nomination.

by Anonymousreply 2009/22/2013

[R10],"Very sad about Berry. She was Marisa Berenson's sister. Her uncle Bernard was a famous artist who hid in Nazi-occupied Florence during WWII."

Bernard Berenson, (1865-1959), the famous American art historian, was distantly related to Marisa and Berry Berenson who were the daughters of his second cousin, Robert. He lived in Italy the majority of his life. Although he was barely tolerated by the Fascist and German authorities, during World War II, he remained at his villa "I Tatti," located in Settignano near Florence.

by Anonymousreply 2109/22/2013

And Berry's grandmother was Elsa Schiaparelli who invented 1930s fashion.

by Anonymousreply 2209/22/2013

Was Joan Fontaine the only actor to win an Oscar for a Hitchcock film (Suspicion)?

by Anonymousreply 2309/22/2013

R24, I believe so. Incidentally, "Rebecca" was the only Hitchcock film to receive the Oscar for best picture.

by Anonymousreply 2409/23/2013

Anthony Perkins and Roddy McDowall invited my brother and another young busboy from a well known nightclub back to a hotel party in the early eighties.

My brother was stupid enough to go. He is straight and was then 19 and beautiful. It turned out to be a small gathering, intimate. McDowall was okay when the boys refused his advances but Perkins was far more forceful and angry. It took a lot more than cab fare and blow to settle the score.

by Anonymousreply 2509/23/2013

Anthony Perkins did "Damn Yankees" for a week at a summer tent theater close by near Boston around the time of "Psycho." Cute and sexy on stage, demanding off-stage, and he was at the high point of his career. So I am not surprised that he would be as asshole when he was not nearly so popular and attractive years later.

by Anonymousreply 2609/23/2013

In Tab Hunter's autobiography he talks about a film he desperately wanted to do called Fear Strikes Out, about the emotionally disabled pro baseball player Jimmy Piersall. I think he may have even done a TV film of it. Or perhaps he just went in for several auditions. In any case, Tony Perkins got the role in the feature film and it was the straw that broke the camel's back of their relationship.

But, of course, Tab did star as a baseball player in the film of Damn Yankees, one of is few A-list projects.

by Anonymousreply 2709/23/2013

R11 Vera is still alive , and like so many of her contemporaries, ended up in the Palm Springs area (Vera's in Palm Desert). Others who have done the same, are Eleanor Parker, and the gone Alice Faye, Ginger Rogers, Loretta Young, Jane Wyman, Betty Hutton, and many others.

by Anonymousreply 2809/23/2013

What is it about Palm Springs that attracts all the old Hollywood glamour girls? Is their something in the dry air that's good for their complexions?

by Anonymousreply 2909/23/2013

[quote]It's really sad he died in the 9/11 attack.

He didn't.

He died in the Oklahoma City bombing.

by Anonymousreply 3009/23/2013

Anthony Perkins had a summer home in Truro, MA, along Cape Cod by Provincetown. He used to pay hustlers to break into his house, tie him up and rape him. He liked it that way.

by Anonymousreply 3109/23/2013

R29 Loretta Young's last home, her famous 'round house', in Palm Springs, is for sale : 1075 Manzanita Ave., PS

It's really old Hollywood - Sold for $630,000 after she died here in 2000( her last husband , famed designer Jean Louis, passed away here too, in '97). It's $1,200,000 now. Pretty awesome.

by Anonymousreply 3209/26/2013

Perkin's was really brilliant in "Psycho" . His scene with Janet Leigh, eating sandwiches, is stunning. He captured 'nut case' better than any actor I can think of .

by Anonymousreply 3309/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.