Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm a big fan of horror films (intelligent, well-crafted ones; not big torture or gore-fests).

The '70s seemed to have the lock on excellent horror films (Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Carrie, Halloween, Alien).

And there was a brief resurgence in the early '90s of excellent horror flicks (Jacob's Ladder, Candyman, Exorcist III, Silence of the Lambs).

But is there any recent horror (last 5 years or so) that is must-see? Any recommendations?

by Anonymousreply 2609/23/2013

Albert Nobbs kept me up for weeks!

by Anonymousreply 109/22/2013

I've said it before and I'll say it again-I find "The Descent" to be one of the best horror films of the last 10 years (although it may have been longer).

by Anonymousreply 209/22/2013

28 Days Later

by Anonymousreply 309/22/2013

A Haunting in Connecticut, a ghost story with a plot, very well written and spooky. Elias Koteas had a role as a priest, he is an excellent actor.

by Anonymousreply 409/22/2013

I really loved The Pact. The protagonist played the part brilliantly and it's a shame she isn't bigger in Hollywood.

J-Horror is usually pretty terrifying and as expected, vastly different from Western Horror. I never cared for The Ring/Ringu series but I do think the first Grudge movie (even the American remake) is pretty stellar.

I enjoyed Insidious up to the denouement. Watch it, regardless though as it's a well-made horror movie.

I'll reply later if I can think of stand-out ones.

by Anonymousreply 509/22/2013

Bump for scares.

by Anonymousreply 609/22/2013

the Horror the Horror!

by Anonymousreply 709/22/2013

"The Descent" was one of the best horror movies I've ever seen, really excellent. But make sure you see the "director's cut" version. There was a version released in the US that had a really stupid ending. The ending in the director's cut is stunning. It's PERFECT.

And for God's sake DON'T see the sequel. The sequel is a piece of shit, like almost all sequels are.

by Anonymousreply 809/22/2013

Ignore those telling you to watch The Pact and The Haunting in Connecticut. Both are extremely tedious. Especially The Pact.

by Anonymousreply 909/22/2013

I couldn't figure out why The Pact was called The Pact since there was no pact in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1009/22/2013

R4, what kind of priest was Elias Koteas in the film? Did he exhibit a virile protuberance behind his liturgical robe?

by Anonymousreply 1109/23/2013

I agree with the recommendations for The Descent. I also recommend The Cabin In The Woods and The Road. The former has elements of humor but it's concept is enjoyable and one I haven't seen before and the latter has only elements of horror but it's thought provoking and the horror parts are terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 1209/23/2013

THE DESCENT is hard to watch at times, but very effective.

SINISTER really creeped me out - some of it doesn't make sense and you have to put up with Ethan Hawke, but it's grim, scary stuff. The "home movie" with the lawn mower will make you jump.

I enjoyed THE CONJURING, but not sure how it would hold up on a second viewing.

by Anonymousreply 1309/23/2013

The Bleeding House - starts off as a play and then snowballs into a cat and mouse game.

by Anonymousreply 1409/23/2013

French horror films like High Tension, Martyrs, Ils, and Inside are definite must-see's.

by Anonymousreply 1509/23/2013

Keeping up with the Kardashians.

by Anonymousreply 1609/23/2013

High Tension was stellar, until that ridiculous ending ruined everything. Martyrs was just gore/torture-not really horror. Inside definitely had a few jumps, though. I'm also with the guy who stated to avoid "The Descent 2" at ALL COSTS. Kill yourself before you consider watching it.

by Anonymousreply 1709/23/2013

I'm not a horror fan but Martyrs seriously made me philosophise like crazy and really think about things, so Martyrs gets my vote big time as a great movie.. I get the gore/torture criticism though. But it was scary too.

by Anonymousreply 1809/23/2013

Who is Albert Nobbs, R1? Do you still have his Grindr name? Or did you keep him for yourself?

by Anonymousreply 1909/23/2013

THE DESCENT scared the hell out of me and made me chew all my fingernails off.

by Anonymousreply 2009/23/2013

Hated Martyrs. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I recommend "The Howling."

by Anonymousreply 2109/23/2013

Are there any naked photos of Elias Koteas going around?

by Anonymousreply 2209/23/2013

Definitely "The Howling", although Rob Bottin's werewolf FX seems a bit dated.

by Anonymousreply 2309/23/2013

It does, but the actor playing the werewolf is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 2409/23/2013

Cher's face in Burlesque gave me nightmares for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 2509/23/2013

[quote] It does, but the actor playing the werewolf is fantastic.

Yeah, he was good. But 85% of the movie focuses on Dee Wallace Stone and that guy who was in "Halloween III."

by Anonymousreply 2609/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!