Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Parent arrested at public meeting for asking an unsubmitted question

The scary thing is that this "common core" curriculum will result in millions of people turning out like that cop, who only have the capacity to blindly follow authority

Notice the guy asking the question never touches the cop yet he's charged with 2nd degree assault of a police officer. Supposedly this guy can get up to 10.5 years!

by Anonymousreply 6210/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 209/21/2013

Is there a video somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 309/21/2013

My mother teaches math at a "common core" school. There have already been a couple of times this year where she's been forced to move on to a new subject even though the majority of kids have clearly not grasped the previous topic.

She has to tutor the kids before and after school (for free, of course, because we can't have teachers being paid to actually help the students) so that they don't fall behind.

It's really sad and frustrating to see an entire generation of kids who are so fucked from such an early age.

by Anonymousreply 509/21/2013

I believe that "assault" is verbal, while "battery" is physical.

by Anonymousreply 609/21/2013

My mother just retired from the high school library in my area, which is a TOTAL fucking joke. There are no fucking books!

She told me that she was told to get rid of the entire literature section, which she could not bring herself to do, and she also told me that the students are only allowed to use what look like these brand new 4th grade readers when researching for their "political" debates, and such. The rest of the books are trash fiction not to mention a huge section on sports and a ton of magazines.

She couldn't take it anymore so she retired.

by Anonymousreply 809/21/2013

My understanding of the common core is that it will promote critical thinking much more than in the past, as well as reading and writing. The opposition appears to be the usual anti-Obama coalition of teabaggers and their ilk. As a parent of a first grader in a public school in transition to common core, I' m cautiously optimistic about the new standards.

by Anonymousreply 1109/22/2013

I am a curriculum designer. I've been working on a few common core projects over the last 2 months, and I have to say that they are a lot more rigorous and challenging than stuff I remember at that age.

by Anonymousreply 1209/22/2013

“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”

by Anonymousreply 1409/22/2013

You're welcome!

by Anonymousreply 1509/22/2013

[quote] I'm glad I don't have to live that much longer.

Me too

[quote] My mother teaches math at a "common core" school. There have already been a couple of times this year where she's been forced to move on to a new subject even though the majority of kids have clearly not grasped the previous topic

It's math. If you don't know steps A, B & C, you won't be able to do steps D, E & F. Don't the administrators realize this? Why are public schools using this bullshit curriculum?

by Anonymousreply 1609/22/2013

I work in education reform and there's a lot of nonsense on this thread.

Like R13 bringing up civics, a topic not covered by the standards.

by Anonymousreply 1809/22/2013

This might be off topic, but I spent a week at a friend's house in NYC and he is a teacher in the system there.

He asked me to figure out for him how many correct answers a student would need to receive an "A" (90%), B, C and so forth-----if the test only had 17 questions.

Strike me down dead if this is not the truth, and he had a MA or MS in Education.

by Anonymousreply 1909/22/2013

R13, so you don't believe humans are causing global warming? Really?

by Anonymousreply 2009/22/2013

I agree with r18. Like R11 I am cautiously optimistic about it.

by Anonymousreply 2509/22/2013

People out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children.

by Anonymousreply 3209/23/2013

Caitlin Upton for President!

by Anonymousreply 3409/23/2013

The dumbing down of America has been in gradual progress for over 100 years thanks to American social engineers who wanted to create a world controlled by behavioral and social scientists.

In 1897, the "Father of American Education," John Dewey wrote his manifesto "My Pedagogic Creed." Then he published "School and Society," in 1899, which set American education on its course.

Using Rockefeller money to establish the Teachers College in New York (1922), their goal was to create a new generation not quite as bright as their parents; and with every succeeding generation, a copy, the actual content of which -- facts, data, objective truth -- faded and became less clear and comprehensible.

It went into full gear during the 1960s and 70s what with the "new math" and "whole language" approach to educating our children.

My grandfather, born in 1898, with an 8th grade education, was better educated than my college educated nieces and nephews today.

by Anonymousreply 3509/23/2013

Charlotte Iserbyt served as Senior Policy Advisor in the Office of Educational Research and Improvement, U.S. Department of Education during the first Reagan Administration, and she tells the story of how she discovered, and eventually blew the whistle on the the major initiative to deliberately dumb down America, in order to mold obedient citizens to be dependent on government and multi-national corporations for survival.

And that Norman Dodd interview is quite illuminating

by Anonymousreply 3609/23/2013

Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 3709/23/2013

Is it true that if you work for Amtrak, they don't take out any money for social security?

by Anonymousreply 3809/23/2013

This guy must have missed the ultimate shutdown, by Councilwoman Jeanne Harris

by Anonymousreply 3909/23/2013

What is that, R39?

by Anonymousreply 4009/25/2013

big fat school administrative personnel

by Anonymousreply 4109/25/2013

**Home of the [bold]FREE and the BRAVE.[/bold]

People in America are [bold]FREE.[/bold] to do anything and the cops are all [bold]Brave.

by Anonymousreply 4209/25/2013

I don't think so, R42.

by Anonymousreply 4309/27/2013

Why is my posted bolded?

by Anonymousreply 4409/27/2013

American arrested by a police officer drunk on power and authority, for asking questions.

And you're still looking down on us?

It appears we're now looking eye-to-eye.

by Anonymousreply 4509/27/2013

[/bold] Okay, I had to put an end to the bold.

by Anonymousreply 4609/28/2013

This is going on EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME.

Using the Delphi Technique to Achieve Consensus How it is leading us away from representative government to an illusion of citizen participation

The Delphi Technique and consensus building are both founded in the same principle - the Hegelian dialectic of thesis, antithesis, and synthesis, with synthesis becoming the new thesis. The goal is a continual evolution to "oneness of mind" (consensus means solidarity of belief) -the collective mind, the wholistic society, the wholistic earth, etc. In thesis and antithesis, opinions or views are presented on a subject to establish views and opposing views. In synthesis, opposites are brought together to form the new thesis. All participants in the process are then to accept ownership of the new thesis and support it, changing their views to align with the new thesis. Through a continual process of evolution, "oneness of mind" will supposedly occur. In group settings, the Delphi Technique is an unethical method of achieving consensus on controversial topics. It requires well-trained professionals, known as "facilitators" or "change agents," who deliberately escalate tension among group members, pitting one faction against another to make a preordained viewpoint appear "sensible," while making opposing views appear ridiculous.

In her book Educating for the New World Order, author and educator Beverly Eakman makes numerous references to the need of those in power to preserve the illusion that there is "community participation in decision-making processes, while in fact lay citizens are being squeezed out."

The setting or type of group is immaterial for the success of the technique. The point is that, when people are in groups that tend to share a particular knowledge base, they display certain identifiable characteristics, known as group dynamics, which allows the facilitator to apply the basic strategy.

The facilitators or change agents encourage each person in a group to express concerns about the programs, projects, or policies in question. They listen attentively, elicit input from group members, form "task forces," urge participants to make lists, and in going through these motions, learn about each member of a group. They are trained to identify the "leaders," the "loud mouths," the "weak or non-committal members," and those who are apt to change sides frequently during an argument.

Suddenly, the amiable facilitators become professional agitators and "devil's advocates." Using the "divide and conquer" principle, they manipulate one opinion against another, making those who are out of step appear "ridiculous, unknowledgeable, inarticulate, or dogmatic." They attempt to anger certain participants, thereby accelerating tensions. The facilitators are well trained in psychological manipulation. They are able to predict the reactions of each member in a group. Individuals in opposition to the desired policy or program will be shut out.

The Delphi Technique works. It is very effective with parents, teachers, school children, and community groups. The "targets" rarely, if ever, realize that they are being manipulated. If they do suspect what is happening, they do not know how to end the process. The facilitator seeks to polarize the group in order to become an accepted member of the group and of the process. The desired idea is then placed on the table and individual opinions are sought during discussion. Soon, associates from the divided group begin to adopt the idea as if it were their own, and they pressure the entire group to accept their proposition.

How the Delphi Technique Works

Consistent use of this technique to control public participation in our political system is causing alarm among people who cherish the form of government established by our Founding Fathers. Efforts in education and other areas have brought the emerging picture into focus.

In the not-too-distant past, the city of Spokane, in Washington state, hired a consultant to the tune of $47,000 to facilitate the direction of city government. This development bro

by Anonymousreply 4709/28/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4809/28/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4909/28/2013

Police country.

by Anonymousreply 5009/28/2013

r13 :

As a history teacher, I have to say you couldn't be more wrong about the history part.

We are encouraged to teach students to analyze historical documents (letters, diaries, newspaper articles, books, government papers, treaties, oral histories, etc.) and then write essays on them. We are allowed to choose any specific document we wish, as long as it fits the overall curriculum. If the curriculum says teach the American Civil War, analyzing the Emancipation Proclamation would be important.

by Anonymousreply 5109/28/2013

"My grandfather, born in 1898, with an 8th grade education, was better educated than my college educated nieces and nephews today."

You blockhead. Please tell me how great heart surgery was in 1898. Or electronic communication.

Dear God!

by Anonymousreply 5209/28/2013

Been teaching the new CC this year. New course. It is stupid. THe kids are confused and have no skills. None. It’s like they learned nothing last year-CC for them last year,too. I have to teach hard concepts fast. I don’t have time for practice. I’m forced to teach things out of logical order- I’m teaching them to run before they figured out they have feet.

I feel terrible for my students.

This will not end well.

by Anonymousreply 5309/28/2013

Meh. I'm immediately suspicious of anything ranted and railed against by right wing shit-stains and Libertardian lemmings.

If they're against it, it's probably a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 5409/28/2013

What state are you in, R53?

by Anonymousreply 5509/28/2013

I’m in NY (I’m R53)

by Anonymousreply 5609/28/2013

Math or ELA, R56? This group did NY's math curriculum:

by Anonymousreply 5709/28/2013

They should be tarred and feathered.

by Anonymousreply 5809/29/2013

R52, you're comparing apples and oranges. Just because technology is advancing does not translate to a well educated public.

by Anonymousreply 5910/02/2013

Black people are scary. Never know what will set them off.

by Anonymousreply 6010/02/2013

This suit will be [bold]HUGE[/bold], and it should be!

by Anonymousreply 6110/02/2013

Racist pig @ r60

by Anonymousreply 6210/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!