Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jeff Garlin Comes Out With Show Set In The 1980s

Who thought this was a good idea??!

I can't believe Adam Goldberg got a deal for another series after his last one bombed.

The 1980s are so ovah.

Before you know it, we'll be hearing that Whoopi Goldberg has been signed to guest star as an attempt to save the show from its obvious cancellation.

Goldberg must be sucking some serious dick.

by Anonymousreply 1209/22/2013

I watched the whole pilot and it was dreadful...a cliched mess. The kids are not cute or witty in the slightest. The adults are phoning it in.

by Anonymousreply 109/21/2013

"The Wonder Years" worked as a 1960s show made in the 1980s. "That 70s Show" worked as a show set in the 1970s made in the 1990s. They tried doing an 80s show with "That 80s Show." It bombed. They've never been able to make a 1980s-themed show work. You'd think they would have gotten the message by now. Close the book on the 1980s already. Seriously. Better yet: STOP GREENLIGHTING CRAP SHOWS!

by Anonymousreply 209/21/2013

It looks fucking awful!

by Anonymousreply 309/21/2013

"Everybody Hates Chris" was set in the 80s, and that worked.

The latest kid's "Sex and the City" show set in the 80s is godawful.

by Anonymousreply 409/21/2013

"Everybody Hates Chris" was a show made in the 2000s.

I don't know about a 1990s show now. Britain did one called "Beautiful People" set in 1997/98 that was really good. It was made in the late 2000s though, and only lasted two seasons.

We have great 1960s shows now like "Mad Man," "Archer." A lot of people are interested in that era now, even adopting the "look" of the era.

by Anonymousreply 509/21/2013

Freaks and Geeks, set in 1980, was great. The time period is the least of the problems with this show.

The 90s still feel like yesterday to me.

by Anonymousreply 609/21/2013

Freaks and Geeks looked like it was set in 1999 with only a few exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 709/22/2013

Freaks and Geeks may have been set in the early 1980s, but it really didn't incorporate anything 80s into its storylines. Could have just as easily have been set in the early 70s or early 90s.

If you're going to do a period piece properly, then you've got to incorporate happenings from that era at least as part of the backdrop if not have full stories revolving around those events.

Wonder Years routinely referenced stuff going on in America -- Vietnam, Watergate, the elections, etc. Plus, they got all the music exactly right. And the fashions too.

Without fail, Mad Men references events happening in the country each episode. It might just be a simple line of dialogue referencing some actual event, but its always there. Sometimes, entire episodes are built around actual events such as the JFK shooting or the MLK shooting.

by Anonymousreply 809/22/2013

But they did have those pop culture references on F&G. Star Wars, Dungeons & Dragons, punk music, disco contests. Jason Segel's character was a big Rush fan. Vice President Bush visited the school in one episode. They didn't beat you senseless over the head with the references like they do on Mad Men, and thank goodness. I don't need to be reminded every 5 minutes what era we're supposed to be in.

by Anonymousreply 909/22/2013

[quote]The 90s still feel like yesterday to me.

It's amazing that 1990 was 23 going on 24 years ago. Revivals are 20 years. I really think that the nightmare that was the 2000s made time standstill. It all started with that ripped, safety pin held together clothes nonsense. Right then I knew what revival we were heading into. My god, I never saw so many 80s-themed parties in my life.

I welcome 90s revival, especially the early 90s. There was some good shit worth reviving at the time. Fuck, everyone had money, at least in America. Remember when a blow job was the worst thing to happen to the country in 1998? lmao.

That Reagan era has been done to death.

There's all these 20th anniversary things coming out now, and shows are being revived from the 90s, as well as music. Then there's all these 90s tv specials. EDM from the 90s. Jesus, Rhianna's shit sounds like it could have been released in the mid-90s.

The DNC just send out a 90s mass email. It says everything to love about the 90s, and what not to love: government shut downs.

If you look at the calendar, we're in the same 20 year election cycle now. 1992/2012, 1996/2016. In the 2000s, the presidential election cycle was 1980/2000, 1984/2004. We even had a Repug president.

Aside from all this, please start making some good tv shows again. KTHXBAI.

by Anonymousreply 1009/22/2013

I think the 60s were really cool. Its social progression alone is interesting. I'd love to see a return of Mod! I could do without hippie slayings though.

by Anonymousreply 1109/22/2013

The billboards in LA are ugly and not especially convincing of impending laffs.

by Anonymousreply 1209/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.