Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jack Klugman's Son Blasts TV Academy Over Dad's Tribute Omission: 'It's Criminal'

He's right. They were so foolish to depart from the traditional formula.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Jack Klugman's son says the exclusion of his father from an Emmy Awards tribute is an insult to the memory of the TV veteran.

"I think it's criminal," said Adam Klugman about the omission of his father from the tribute on Sunday night's Emmy show.

Jack Klugman — a three-time Emmy winner — starred in The Odd Couple and Quincy.

Said his son: "My dad was at the inception of television and helped build it in the early days."

It was announced this week that five salutes would be presented at the Emmys, including one for Cory Monteith of Glee, who died in July of an overdose.

Adam Klugman took exception to the inclusion of Monteith over his father. "He was a kid who had won no Emmys," said Klugman.

Other announced tributes include personal remembrances set for James Gandolfini, Gary David Goldberg, Jean Stapleton and Jonathan Winters.

The 'In Memoriam' section at the Emmys telecast is already being criticized for the omission of Dallas actor Larry Hagman. Earlier this week, ep Ken Ehrlich defended the selections [8].

"No matter what we do, there will be people who feel we had other options and could have done other things," Ehrlich said. "In all candor, this becomes a producer's option. And in this case, we selected these five knowing certainly others could be treated this way, but these were the five we chose."

by Anonymousreply 16109/24/2013

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 109/21/2013

THe in memoriam section should not be a competition. Of course, some people are going to be left out (as is the case with any significant obituaries), but it should be limited to the usual rapid footage showing a great many people of note who were lost over the years. Even hearing some people receive relatively big applause during the presentation is extremely tacky. Highlighting a few of them as the top 5 recent corpses is beyond tasteless.

by Anonymousreply 209/21/2013

He's right.

by Anonymousreply 309/21/2013

He's NOT right. It's very petty to compare one life to another and base it on awards as to who was more valuable.

Klugman also seems to forget that his father was old and only the older generation knows who he is. The younger generation were impacted by Monteith and it makes sense to focus on his tribute as the one that had the most impact on recent times.

by Anonymousreply 509/21/2013

He's right and I hope there is fucking backlash against the fucking Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 609/21/2013

I can't wait until you're old, R5. YOU'RE GOING TO HATE IT.

by Anonymousreply 809/21/2013

"Jack Klugman was so forgotten when he died that they had to write [blank] on his tombstone . . ."

by Anonymousreply 909/21/2013

This is an awards show, folks. It's not a memorial service. To do special tributes shows a tackiness beyond description. Instead they should stick to just their normal tackiness, i.e., where someone like Gloria Estefan or Josh Groban comes out to sing some tearjerker about memories or the resiliency of the human spirit as they flash photos of everyone who died in the industry, but not in alphabetical order, more by order of importance, and the audience can clap more loudly for these more important people whose deaths were....well, more important.

by Anonymousreply 1009/21/2013

R8, go out on the street and ask folks who pass by whether they have heard of Jack Klugman. See how many people under 40 know who he is.

by Anonymousreply 1109/21/2013

criminal? Realllly?

He is deluded. And so are you silly queens who agree with him.

by Anonymousreply 1209/21/2013

*holds up index card with "BAD TASTE" and an arrow pointing left*

by Anonymousreply 1309/21/2013

Sorry, R5, but in my opinion, if they wanted youth, they should have gone with Lee Thompson Young. He was a big Disney star who had his own show and managed to maintain a steady career for fifteen years, last appearing on the hit Rizzoli and Isles.

But I agree that this shouldn't be a competition. Just do scattered in memoriums throughout the show. No one has even mentioned poor Bonnie Franklin. Hopefully, she's included.

by Anonymousreply 1409/21/2013

R5 Reread R8.

by Anonymousreply 1509/21/2013

[quote]"No matter what we do, there will be people who feel we had other options and could have done other things," Ehrlich said

Actually, no. If they'd done the traditional format no one would have complained. Dirty rat.

by Anonymousreply 1609/21/2013

[quote]The younger generation were impacted by Monteith

Bitch please.

by Anonymousreply 1709/21/2013

Of course Jack Klugman and Larry Hagman should be included. It shouldn't even be up for discussion.

by Anonymousreply 1809/21/2013

R17 Remember when we would have said "affected by Monteith"?

by Anonymousreply 1909/21/2013

He's right. Completely right. Klugman had SUCH a prolific career. He is in some of the classic TV programs from the early years, Twilight Zones, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and many other classics that younger viewers watch, too. He IS Oscar Madison (TV version). And Quincy, of course. Cory Monteith? One series and out. Bleh.

by Anonymousreply 2009/21/2013

"and the audience can clap more loudly for these more important people whose deaths were....well, more important."

I always felt sorry for Jean, the costume girl or Al, the lighting technician. They didn't get the applause the big stars received.

I always thought that the producers should have installed an applause machine so that everyone got applauded. For an industry that makes money off of pretense, you would think they could have pretended to honor Jean and Al.

by Anonymousreply 2109/21/2013

Cory who?

by Anonymousreply 2209/21/2013

Is Conrad Bain going to be in the montage?

by Anonymousreply 2309/21/2013

I told Jack that Hollywood would chew him up and spit him out. But he just had to flirt with danger.

by Anonymousreply 2409/21/2013

Corey Monteith's death is this generations 9/11!!!

by Anonymousreply 2509/21/2013

[quote] Jack Klugman — a three-time Emmy winner — starred in The Odd Couple and Quincy.

Too bad he wasn't a three-time Academy Award winner instead. Then his tombstone could read "Oscar, Oscar, Oscar."

by Anonymousreply 2609/21/2013

My understanding was that Klugman and Hagman will be included in the in memorian section; they just aren't getting special tributes like Gandolfini, Monteith, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2709/21/2013

R26 W&W. I'm a little verklempt.

by Anonymousreply 2809/21/2013

Oh, R27, that's because Cory and JG died THIS YEAR.

by Anonymousreply 2909/21/2013

[quote], that's because Cory and JG died THIS YEAR.

He died in the year since the last ceremony, no? Besides, he missed this year by only a week.

by Anonymousreply 3009/21/2013

It's not criminal, but it is tacky and unfair. I can't believe Corey Monteith, who didn't do shit, is going to be honored...while television icons are completely ignored. Jack Klugman had 3 Emmys and Larry Hagman was nominated twice.

by Anonymousreply 3109/21/2013

That was my point, R30.

by Anonymousreply 3209/21/2013

Oh, R19 -- it's you & me against the world, I fear.

by Anonymousreply 3309/21/2013

It's disrespectful. They'd never do this to Mary Tyler Moore!

by Anonymousreply 3409/21/2013

Jack Klugman wasn't a DRUG ADDICT r5.

And guess what, the only people who give a flying fuck about what young people think are young people.

Go ahead, work your ass off your whole life, and then when you're dead, 18 year olds who think they know everything will say "nobody under 40 knows or cares who he was."

by Anonymousreply 3609/21/2013

[R36]offers a strong argument, to which let me add that Klugman was also a very fine actor.

by Anonymousreply 3709/21/2013

I blame the Oscars treatment of Heath Ledger for the Cory Monteith issue. These shows like to make high drama out of substance abusers who died. It's like an overdose is a noble way of dying.

by Anonymousreply 3809/21/2013

I guess those of us over 40 are the only ones who know who Klugman and Hagman were, but nobody in the media cares about us. We're invisible.

by Anonymousreply 3909/21/2013

Klugman was old, but a man of stature in his feld, R5, while you're obviously just a garden variety asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4009/21/2013

Surely, there must be Odd Couple reruns...

by Anonymousreply 4109/21/2013

Meh, that's Hollywood. They only care about fame, money and what is hot at the moment. He should have known that by now.

by Anonymousreply 4209/21/2013

[quote]Sorry, [R5], but in my opinion, if they wanted youth, they should have gone with Lee Thompson Young. He was a big Disney star who had his own show and managed to maintain a steady career for fifteen years, last appearing on the hit Rizzoli and Isles.

What a crock of shit.

Glee was a groundbreaking, game-changing show that, by the way, put multiple gay teen characters right up front. The fact that the show's male star died is a pretty fucking big deal, regardless of what you might think of the show.

It's a total no-brainer to include Cory Monteith.

As for ignoring Klugman, well, it is true that anyone under the age of 40 probably hasn't heard of him. And if they have, they probably didn't realize he was still alive.

Sorry, old folks, but that's life.

by Anonymousreply 4309/21/2013

"Glee was a groundbreaking, game-changing show that, by the way, put multiple gay teen characters right up front."

Right, because Chris Colfer and Unique should be the face of gay teenagers in America.

Can't we have a normal guy who just happens to prefer men rather than flaming stereotypes whose being gay makes them victims?

by Anonymousreply 4409/21/2013

I still haven't forgiven the Motion Picture Academy for including Aayliah at the expense of leaving off Academy Award nominee for best actress, Dorothy McGuire. Cory what's his name is going to be forgotten in ten years. He was fifth lead or so on one single past its prime t.v. show. His contribution to television is nothing compared to Larry Hagman's or Jack Klugman's.

What message does it send to young people about the danger of drug addiction if those who die from overdoses are given so much honor and recognition for having done so? His death is tragic, but it shouldn't be glorified.

I was already on the fence about even watching the telecast. That just tipped the scales.

by Anonymousreply 4509/21/2013

[quote]It's a total no-brainer to include Cory Monteith.

I find it a head-scratcher. He was one actor in an ensemble and by NO means a standout. All he did was die young.

by Anonymousreply 4709/21/2013

I bet the Emmy producers and CBS are loving this. Nothing like a controversy to drive up ratings.

by Anonymousreply 4809/21/2013

"The fact that the show's male star."

Monteith was not the male star of GLEE. Chris Colfer (who was actually nominated for an Emmy) and Matthew Morrison (also nominated) were far more successful than Monteith. He was a supporting player at best.

Let's get real. When you think of GLEE, you think of Jane Lynch, Lea Michele, Matthew Morrion and Chris Colfer. Cory Monteith is not the first name that comes to mind.

Scoff at Lee Thompson Young all you want, but he's well remembered among a younger generation for The Amazing Jett Jackson, which he STARRED in.

"Hand in your gay card before they come and take it from you."

Because I'm not going to rewrite history and pretend some second string player was on the verge of becoming the next Brando? Puh- leeze.

by Anonymousreply 4909/21/2013

Ken Erlich is an asshole. But at least the addict is being recognized. Will we get to see Lea weeping? That's what's most important. And we want real tears, Lea! None of this fake shit.

by Anonymousreply 5009/21/2013

Why mrs bunker and not klugman?

by Anonymousreply 5109/21/2013

Please, bitches.

Heath Ledger knocked me off the Oscars tribute. I guess it's only one drug addict per year.

by Anonymousreply 5209/21/2013

They wont honor a tv pioneer but will honor that useless one tv show drug addict? Shame. Shame

by Anonymousreply 5309/21/2013

[quote]Monteith was not the male star of GLEE.

He was AFAIC. I stopped watching when he went away and they started focusing on new people. Finn was Glee to me. Plus Blaine and Kurt.

by Anonymousreply 5409/21/2013

The are crazy for not including Klugman.

by Anonymousreply 5609/21/2013

In Hollywood a drug overdose trumps old age any day. Plus, Lea Michele will get a chance to emote. Who would cry over Klugman? Everyone he's ever worked with is dead.

by Anonymousreply 5809/21/2013

This is all a part of the awards institutions recent efforts to remain "relevant". They've already let it affect the Oscars, whose primary goal now is to keep young people tuning in at any cost. It's no longer a legitimate ceremony now, but largely just chasing ratings like a show.

The fact is that awards ceremonies are becoming irrelevant because young people have their heads so far up their asses that they have no idea what quality material or personal achievement even are.

by Anonymousreply 5909/21/2013

I agree...Klugman before Monteith. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 6009/21/2013

While we're on the subject, can we stop talking about this Beethoven guy, too? I mean, when's the last time HE put anything out? None of my friends have heard of him. He must be completely useless.

by Anonymousreply 6109/21/2013

Monteith was a drug-addled loser who added little to any production. Klugman won multiple awards and was well known in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 6209/21/2013

I'm a Glee fan but recognize its quality rapidly went downhill after the middle of the first season. However, I can't understand why Monteith is getting special recognition over Klugman and Hagman.

Both of those actors had two iconic portrayals on television, Klugman on The Odd Couple and Quincy and Hagman on I Dream of Jeannie and Dallas.

Neither had to resort to fake relationships for PR purposes either.

by Anonymousreply 6309/21/2013

The two biggest things on Monteith's IMDB profile are Kyle XY and Glee. Meanwhile Larry Hagman and Jack Klugman don't get a special tribute. There should be fucking riots in the streets because of this. How fucking insulting.

by Anonymousreply 6409/21/2013

Adam Klugman is correct.

To be excusing the ineptness of the Emmys production is pathetic.

It's now at a point in which there should be no memorial tributes. On the other hand: Given some of the tastes of the academy voters, perhaps we should look at this as a wake.

by Anonymousreply 6509/21/2013

Glee isn't and never has been a true hit. Yes, it does fine in some demos but it's never brought in 15-20 million viewers overall. And it was hardly a gamechanger or even groundbreaking. Smash, the only show it paved the way for, flopped.

by Anonymousreply 6609/21/2013

Klugman and Hagman have rich television history. Cory Monteith-not so much. This is pretty disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 6709/21/2013

[quote]Glee was a groundbreaking, game-changing show

Bitch plz

by Anonymousreply 6809/21/2013

r39 BS. I am 24( will be 25 in october) and I know who those two men are by watching old reruns when I was in elementary school. Who doesn't know the "odd couple" or " i dream of jeannie"(especially the later).

Funny that I know Larry Hagman more from "jeannie" than "dallas" but I think that is the case with people my age since "dallas" hasn't really been a syndication cash cow.

I think the son over- reaacted, but he is right to be angry. The mmys is supposed to honor TV legends -- not some kid who has an unimpressive TV career.

This is just another case of assuming all young people are stupid or that all people care about youth.

by Anonymousreply 6909/21/2013

^69 sorry for the typos .. ugh

by Anonymousreply 7009/21/2013

When you put on your own awards show you have an opinion. Their show, they can do whatever they want. Change the channel or shut up.

by Anonymousreply 7109/21/2013

Make sure you don't catch any diseases while licking the producers' asses, R71.

Of course maybe you're a drug addict like the overrated Monteith, the "star" of a "hit" show.

by Anonymousreply 7209/22/2013

[quote]Glee isn't and never has been a true hit. Yes, it does fine in some demos but it's never brought in 15-20 million viewers overall. And it was hardly a gamechanger or even groundbreaking. Smash, the only show it paved the way for, flopped.

You don't know what you are talking about. The show has made massive amounts of money from iTunes sales alone.

by Anonymousreply 7309/22/2013

R9 you are devilishly clever with that one!

by Anonymousreply 7409/22/2013

I think it's the usual - they're trying to court a younger audience. Whilst it's true that Dallas and Quincy etc was 30+ years ago, that was TV's heyday so should be celebrated more.

Glee is not an iconic show (how could it be) nor even a big hit. It's an internet era show in the days when TV ratings are way down and viewing habits are very different. It isn't even an original show, it was a High School Musical knock-off for gods sake.

I see what they're doing by highlighting different generations of TV, but Gandolfini should really have remained the lone modern representative. I did like when the Oscars gave a nod to John Hughes who they ignored before but Monteith has hardly made a mark. Many bigger names than him didn't even make remembrance montages.

I think whoever said just bung them all in the one montage without singling anyone out is right, but I can see why for the Emmys the remembrance is more important as there can be a bigger emotional attachment to TV stars as you're more exposed to them and their shows.

by Anonymousreply 7509/22/2013

I'm in my 50's. I don't watch Glee. I never heard of Cory Monteith until he passed away. Klugman and Hagman will still be remembered 50 years from now because they starred in classic tv shows. Monteith? Nah.

by Anonymousreply 7609/22/2013

Want to see why they're honoring a junkie? Just take a look at the cover of this week's "People" magazine. Now, all you have to do is murder your husband by pushing him over a cliff and you bump Goop right off the cover.

by Anonymousreply 7709/22/2013

They want to attract the kids to the show, the right demographic and they aren't going to do it with old cancer neck Klugman.

by Anonymousreply 7809/22/2013

[quote]These shows like to make high drama out of substance abusers who died. It's like an overdose is a noble way of dying.

WRONG. It's about showing a bit of compassion and respect for someone who may have been an addict, but was still a person.

by Anonymousreply 7909/22/2013

Face it. This is Hollywood and Jack Klugman just wasn't pretty enough to demand attention.

by Anonymousreply 8009/22/2013

R5 it is precisely because of what you say - that young people like you do not know it care - that Klugman should be included. Because you should learn. Because you should be taught. Because you are ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 8109/22/2013

Well I'm under 40 and know who both Klugman and Hagman are. They are true television icons. Monteith's death was tragic, but does anything he did on Glee compare to the protagonist of the biggest cliffhanger in tv history?

by Anonymousreply 8209/22/2013

It's the most disgusting, atrocious thing [italic]ever[/italic] to happen in America.

by Anonymousreply 8309/22/2013

What some of you older queens are missing is that it's not about who had the longest résumé - it's about whose death had the biggest emotional impact over the past year.

by Anonymousreply 8409/22/2013

Bullshit R84. Herman the crackhead on my block froze to death this past winter. I felt bad for ole Herman, but he did it to himself. Herman and Corey are no different.

by Anonymousreply 8509/22/2013

Why does anyone care about a dead drug addict? The only notable thing he did in his short career is off himself.

by Anonymousreply 8609/22/2013

Jack Klugman wasn't dead already?

by Anonymousreply 8709/22/2013

Going by what 20 year olds know about will be the death of what's left of culture as we know it.

by Anonymousreply 8809/22/2013

Who the fuck is Cory Montooth?

by Anonymousreply 8909/22/2013

You totally missed the point, R89.

by Anonymousreply 9009/22/2013

Gary David who?

by Anonymousreply 9109/22/2013

The Hollywood elite have long made their bias known when it came to the Klugman/Norman Fell feud. Klugman declaring himself the winner because Fell died first left a very bad taste in academy voters mouths.

by Anonymousreply 9209/22/2013

Are they doing nothing for Klugman or Hagman? I thought they were doing special stand alone segments for these four or five and the traditional montage.

In any case, who cares? The idea that television is some sort of cultural thing that unites us all together is a little silly in a time of 1,000 options.

by Anonymousreply 9309/22/2013

So if Klugman was such an asshole, why should we feel sorry that he isn't getting a special tribute?

by Anonymousreply 9409/22/2013

I guess the Goldberg thing is so Fox can promote his show.

by Anonymousreply 9509/22/2013

Perhaps I was making another point, R90?

by Anonymousreply 9609/22/2013

r86 - It's ridiculous that Monteith is being honoured over far more accomplished actors, but how is his personal life relevant? Larry Hagman suffered from addiction too. Does that mean he shouldn't be honoured?

by Anonymousreply 9709/22/2013

You can't even spell, R97, so what do you know?

by Anonymousreply 9809/22/2013

I think R94 it's about impact on the art and history of the medium of television, not about whether klugman was a nice guy or not. Writing this, I also realise we think, we hope, the Emmys are about the art of the medium. But it is about money first; hence monteith over klugman. Fitting in a way because tv is first about money and then incidentally , unavoidably, about excellence.

by Anonymousreply 9909/22/2013

They are saluting Gary David Goldberg so Michael J. Fox can get ANOTHER standing ovation for his bravery.

by Anonymousreply 10009/22/2013

[quote]All he did was die young.

I won an Oscar for that

by Anonymousreply 10109/22/2013

The Forever Fake Couple Lie "It’s about that very public tribute that you’ll see soon. There are many actors with a broader and more critically acclaimed body of work who deserve a public tribute much, much more. However, those actors don’t have the large and young fan base for which the networks live and die. And they don’t have a fake and famous girlfriend in the audience to tearfully clutch a necklace and pretend that she just lost the great love of her life.

A BI about Cory and Lea. Fuck the Emmys!

by Anonymousreply 10209/22/2013

Proof, if proof were needed, that dying young is a great career move.

by Anonymousreply 10309/22/2013

[quote]Who the fuck is Cory Montooth?

It's him, right?

by Anonymousreply 10409/22/2013

Forgive me Mr. Klugman but I thought your father had passed a few years back. However, I do agree if they are going to single out certain departed Celebrities for their contribution to television your father would be one of those candidates. People don't get it in general. Look at the music industry. We've went from brilliance ( Roberta Flack) to no talent Mylie Cyrus.

As for the selected memorials I actually thought at first each selection represented their generation or a certain audience and Jean would be representing Jacks generation. Ask me to pick between those two and the role of Edith Bunker remains so iconic I would go with her as well.

I'm also a little puzzled why this monteith guy garnered special notice other than it pulls in the curious younger viewer to take 1/2 a second away from tweeting something and shedding half a tear before going back to bragging about being plastered on lean and weed the whole weekend.

I'm looking very forward to Jeans memorial. Wish so much they had singled out Carrol when he passed. For me All In The Family was the most brilliant written show on TV pushing every envelope. The cast was perfection.

by Anonymousreply 10509/22/2013

[quote]Jeans memorial

We do that yearly. We never forget Jeans Dean.

by Anonymousreply 10609/22/2013

This is what he gets for foisting Brett Somers on the producers of MATCH GAME.

by Anonymousreply 10709/22/2013

When my grandmother was a teenager, her idol was Rodolph Valentino and she had such a crush on that major icon and movie star. Rudolph Valentino was extremely big before my mother was born ,yet my mother knew who he was. Mother's major jaw dropping crush and idol was Montgomery Clift when she was a teenager, obviously she didn't know he was gay back then ,and when she found out years later it broke her heart, but that is another story, LOL. I'm 43 years old and Montgomery Clift was around before I was born ,but I knew about him and Valentino as a result of watching their films on TV. However, the younger generations don't know, don't care to know and only care about the NOW. They don't care about the past in any way, they don't care about history and they think it's not relevant to know, they don't care about Civics, the Constitution, etc. NO, I'm not a Tea Party person so don't go there.

Aside from OPS topic, generally speaking, the younger generations have become destructive and neglectful in so many ways in our society and as a result, the future looks bleak.

I watched the reruns of the Odd Couple when I was a little kid because the show begun the year I was born, and I was just a toddler when the I was originally aired.They haven't stopped playing the Odd Couple shows ,which has been shown all over the world just like so many other classic TV shows and classic movies.Yet, again, the younger generations don't give a shit about anything older than the last 3 years.

These actors and actresses careers in TV and Film are so monumental that they are in the legendary status ,which is extremely rare to find in actors and actresses today.

Look, it doesn't matter how old the actor and/ or actress who died was, it's called respect! They earned the right by the acting community the respect to be honored as elder actors and actresses who came before those who are younger than they are. It is really sick that the norm now that those who are remembered at those shitty award shows, have like a contest who gets the most applause.I think it is the audience way of saying, we think you are much more highly valued than that person, whoever the hell he or she is in that clip that came before you!!They should not have any applause ,and shut the hell up.

BTW, I don't know if this is true,but I have read some where that Jean Stapleton is going to be ignored as well. Bonnie Franklin might be was well.

BTW, someone mentioned on this thread that Jack Klugman wasn't a nice person, I have read just the very opposite about him. Some people who have worked with him said he was a super nice man and Tony Randall as well.I spoke with someone who knew Larry Hagman ,and he said he was kind of nuts in a fun way ,and he was a very nice man. But, like someone said on this thread already, it doesn't matter what they were like outside of their profession because that isn't what the memorial is supposed to be about.

by Anonymousreply 10909/22/2013

Does anyone else think of Dorothy Montooth whenever they hear Cory Monteith's name?

by Anonymousreply 11009/22/2013

Where does the 'not a nice man' come from? If they mean the feud with Norman Fell, that was a hoax the two of them pulled.

by Anonymousreply 11109/22/2013

I can understand why they chose to focus on Monteith over Klugman or Hangman. Young actor on cult hit with young demographic dies of dramatic OD and his faux girlfriend will be at the ceremony, lip a-tremble. I don't agree with their decision, but I get it.

But to single out Jean Stapleton as deserving while snubbing the others? Like them, she played one iconic role in the '70s. Like them, she's mostly a non-entity to anybody under 40. Unlike them, she really didn't do much else of note other than Edith Bunker (in addition to Quincy, Klugman also had Oscar and Twilight Zone; Hagman had Major Nelson). So why honor Stapleton but not the other two? Senseless.

by Anonymousreply 11209/22/2013

Technically, R97, Hagman isn't being honored either.

by Anonymousreply 11309/22/2013

It's all about ratings. Monteith's achievements can't hold a candle to Klugman's. The tribute to Monteith is being done to lure in young viewers.

by Anonymousreply 11409/22/2013

Or, R114, the producers are 12 year old girls.

by Anonymousreply 11509/22/2013

What R114 said is true. In spite of the fact that Jack Klugman is more deserving of an award celebrating contributions to television over the years, there's no way I'd be watching the Emmys if it weren't for the Cory Monteith Memorial Moment.

Of course, I'll probably end up looking at it online somewhere tomorrow. I hate, loathe, and detest these awards shows.

by Anonymousreply 11609/22/2013

R116 is a twelve year-old girl.

by Anonymousreply 11709/22/2013

Corey Monteith was the greatest actor to grace TV. The entire Emmy Awards show should be devoted to clips of him from all his television works! Who cares about old people who die. We need to celebrate our drug addicts so this generation will watch, weep, and identify.

by Anonymousreply 11809/22/2013

I heard somewhere that Tila Tequila is chairwoman of the Emmy memorial committee. I came across an interview with Tila a couple of years ago. The one memorable quote in the interview was: "Oh what does SHE know. She's OLD!"

by Anonymousreply 11909/22/2013

[quote]Klugman also seems to forget that his father was old and only the older generation knows who he is. The younger generation were impacted by Monteith and it makes sense to focus on his tribute as the one that had the most impact on recent times.

So R5, fuck the older generation who still watches TV and remembers Klugman, and could care less about some mediocre druggie actor of limited talent because of his high Q factor with a bunch of teenaged girls and their faggy bffs? Klugman did a lot more for the genre of TV than Monteith ever did.

by Anonymousreply 12009/22/2013

Klugman is completely correct. It's laughable, and a perfect example of Hollywood's cultural and ethical bankruptcy.

by Anonymousreply 12109/22/2013

Young people watch the Emmys??!!

Not

On

Your

by Anonymousreply 12209/22/2013

[quote]I guess the Goldberg thing is so Fox can promote his show.

What a horribly cynical thing to say. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was thinking it.

[quote]someone mentioned on this thread that Jack Klugman wasn't a nice person, I have read just the very opposite about him. Some people who have worked with him said he was a super nice man and Tony Randall as well.

My sister did a play with both Klugman and Randall years ago in my hometown and she loved them and said working with them was great. Our whole family also got to go backstage afterwards to meet them and they were both very nice. Doesn't mean anything as far as how they treated people in Hollywood but there you go.

by Anonymousreply 12309/22/2013

Thanks for sharing R123! I love stories like that. I envy, you got to meet them. I have always loved old couple, Quincey, and Tony Randall in his films, especially the Doris Day one he starred in.

by Anonymousreply 12409/22/2013

R112 In my other post I mentioned about the choice to select Jean. At first I thought it was by generation and she happened to be that generations selection over Klugman and Hagman. If it had been based on that I also would have selected her over the other two. The character of Edith Bunker is not just iconic. It's an exceptional iconic role. There have been impersonators who have included trying to impersonate the character. The show in which Edit was born stands on it's own as literally changing television. Actually her body of work includes prior early television work. I know she played Eleanor Roosevelt. I remember a role where her characters name was Aunt Mary and she coached a boys softball team. She was offered a few other lead roles but turned them down. Murder She Wrote was offered to her. She also did a lot of guest appearances. Having said all that I am not understanding that the choices weren't generational and it was really a producers choice. Obviously theirs a ratings gimmick behind some of the selections. There rolling out MJF to talk about GDG. Obviously the younger audience will be saying who was he? but they sure will know MJF who gets an emmy for just standing on stage crawling out of his skin from either Parkinson's or from all the coke he still does.

With Jean obviously the catch is Rob speaking on her behalf. Again, in my book she's owed the time for being a part of television history on a different level then a lot of performers.

Jonathan Winters? Just look who they scored for his memorial? Robin will be all over the place and of course with the Glee guy you've got the most over exposed Glee cast member to pacify the younger audience.

Unfortunately the producer may have not found any ratings connection to single Jack out which is shame. It was his call.

by Anonymousreply 12509/22/2013

Oh, Quincy. My Quincy.

by Anonymousreply 12609/22/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 12709/22/2013

Good point r59 and it's true. Younger people today really don't have concept of achievement probably due to reality television. Any asshole can make it to reality TV and stardom so they all in some way probably think of themselves as one tick away from stardom. Then you add in youtube and those that go viral doing what-the-fuck ever, makes it difficult to appreciate someone talented with a long career.

It doesn't help that the Academy is bending over backwards for actors like Jennifer Hunger Games and that rat face guy putting them up there as if they are meaty enough actors to stand with the best.

Btw not an elder gay, just a film school brat who loves the history of film and tv wish there were better stuff out there.

by Anonymousreply 12809/22/2013

RE#127 You'd think asking either Barbara Eden to do an intro on his behalf and then let patrick/victoria/and Linda would have been an issue catch for this producer. They could have bumped Gary David Goldberg for the mere fact most likely 9 out of 10 viewers will be saying.. Who the fuck? I still think the call to include him was a Michael J Foxx gimmick. I'm wondering if they couldn't find anyone of significance to do a segment for Jack.

by Anonymousreply 12909/22/2013

Whoopi Goldberg publicly offered to do a tribute to Larry after she eviscerated the producers on THE VIEW.

It's funny that the tribute controversy has outshone everything else. No one is really talking about who might win and who will not. But with the talk of Modern Family and Bryan Cranston winning yet again, I can see why there's zero interest.

by Anonymousreply 13009/22/2013

R130...I'm sure the Emmy producers are lapping up the controversy. All any cares about today are the quantity of press, not the quality of the material presented.

by Anonymousreply 13109/22/2013

[quote] someone mentioned on this thread that Jack Klugman wasn't a nice person

I think you are confused. I mentioned that Larry Hagman wasn't a nice guy. He was a raging egomaniac, drunkard and drug user and I'm not even talking about his Dallas days. He was a creep going back to I Dream of Jeannie.

He hung out with the likes of Keith Moon. Hagman got liver damage from drinking and drugging. He used to get into random fights. One time, he was in a restaurant where someone lit up a cigarette. This was before smoking bans. Hagman, who abused drugs and alcohol so badly, demanded that a fan be brought to his table to blow the smoke back at the smoker. The smoker shrugged and said, "Go ahead, I don't care," and Hagman escalated it into a fight.

I quit smoking long ago and I am glad there are smoking bans now, but before there were smoking bans, people were allowed to smoke in restaurants and that's that. Hagman was a nasty drunk and felt he could get high and mighty with cigarette addicts? Oh, please.

He was called "eccentric" by interviewers because they couldn't come out and say he was an asshole.

On the other hand, I never heard a bad word about Jack Klugman except that like Oscar Madison, he had a bit of a gambling problem.

by Anonymousreply 13209/22/2013

Cory must have sucked off some people in high places to get this gig.

by Anonymousreply 13309/22/2013

Yeah, R133. Larry Hagman and Jack Klugman.

by Anonymousreply 13409/22/2013

Monteith was a druggy loser and does not deserve any type of rememberance. He was on a two-bit second rate tv show, that's it. Nothing to warrant being fawned over in death.

by Anonymousreply 13509/22/2013

His Emmy tribute was cancelled the minute he filed his lawsuit for the Quincy residuals.

by Anonymousreply 13609/22/2013

It used to be that when people died of heroin overdoses they were given short shrift. "Hey. Too bad you killed yourself, jerk."

Now they're idolized and given special treatment even when they're third tier players.

by Anonymousreply 13709/22/2013

Don't stop believin'

by Anonymousreply 13809/22/2013

While it might be a bit of a stretch, they could have had Penny Marshall do a tribute to Jack Klugman as she played on The Odd Couple.

by Anonymousreply 13909/22/2013

What is the situation with Penny Marshall's health, R139? Isn't she dealing with a serious illness?

by Anonymousreply 14009/22/2013

Maybe they could put up a nice powerpoint display for Klugman in the men's room?

by Anonymousreply 14109/22/2013

Monteith's death was "tragic" and that's why they will make a big deal out it--which still isn't right.

They do better running an ad about drugs and young Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 14209/22/2013

Applaud if you loved . . .

by Anonymousreply 14309/22/2013

John Stamos would have been a nice choice as the person to MC the Klugman tribute.

by Anonymousreply 14409/22/2013

Unfortunately, the only reason they even gave a rat's ass about the glee kid's death was cuz he was an addict and it was super sad to see a kid who has everything (seemingly) kill himself. That said, he hadn't done anything to warrant a tribute..not one thing. Jack Klugman had an incredible body of work and managed to continue working for years and years. His work on The Odd Couple alone is unforgettable and the man deserves a tribute. It's such a sad state of affairs when Hollywood continues to reward these snot nosed drug addict actor hoes for their ill behavior. Disgusting. I'm proud of Jack Klugman's son for calling everyone out. America, stop dumbing yourself down and turning your head to the real issues. this glee kid doesn't deserve a tribute, nor does he need one. He needed help with his drug addiction..but now it's too late. jack Klugman worked hard at perfecting his craft. Respect this man for his contributions to the entertainment industry and pay tribute.

by Anonymousreply 14509/22/2013

[quote]It was announced this week that five salutes would be presented at the Emmys, including one for Cory Monteith of Glee, who died in July of an overdose. Adam Klugman took exception to the inclusion of Monteith over his father. "He was a kid who had won no Emmys," said Klugman.

Haters gonna hate.

by Anonymousreply 14609/22/2013

Aren't we all taking these deaths a little too seriously. After all, all these people do for a living is read out loud. There is not a rocket scientist among them. Let them take their dirt nap.

by Anonymousreply 14709/22/2013

These tributes have been brutally bad.

by Anonymousreply 14809/22/2013

[quote]Whoopi Goldberg publicly offered to do a tribute to Larry after she eviscerated the producers on THE VIEW.

Why did this old bag need to get involved?

by Anonymousreply 14909/23/2013

[quote]The younger generation were impacted by Monteith...go out on the street and ask folks who pass by whether they have heard of Jack Klugman. See how many people under 40 know who he is.

And thatsss.....good?

by Anonymousreply 15009/23/2013

Hey, it's not like Jack Klugman starred in one of the biggest shows in the history of CBS (your network for the 2013 Emmys)or anything.

by Anonymousreply 15109/23/2013

I absolutely agree with Adam Klugman. And leaving Larry Hagman out was criminal too. These people were in at the beginning of television and if they are not remembered by their peers, who will remember them? I don't blame him for being upset at all.

by Anonymousreply 15209/23/2013

Because we no longer live in a culture that values accomplishment, we live in a world that values fame. Klugman was accomplished? So what! He's not famous NOW.

by Anonymousreply 15309/23/2013

Cory's mom responded.

by Anonymousreply 15409/23/2013

It's stupid and insulting to hierarchize the dead, including but by no means limited to deeming Monteith more worthy than Klugman. It's equally mean and ugly for Jack Klugman's son to insult Corey Monteith as a self-inflicted death.

They can all go to fucking hell in a hand basket. Hollywood tacky is all fine and good, the status quo. But there are some limits. The funny thing is that they don't even seem to realize how inane, insensitive and inappropriate it is to rank the recently deceased and their careers as part of an awards show.

by Anonymousreply 15509/23/2013

Has anyone figured out why on earth Andy Williams was the last photo in the montage instead of Klugman or Hagman?

by Anonymousreply 15609/23/2013

Should've been Lee Thompson Young at the end

by Anonymousreply 15709/23/2013

Jack Klugman was a comedic genius and deserved more than what he got, as did Larry Hagman. J.R. Ewing was an iconic character. So sad that some actor from Glee, who died young due to bad life choices, is given more air time during a celebration of the best of television.

by Anonymousreply 15809/24/2013

I don't like any of the singing or dancing bs. I would rather they skip it and let the winners give the speeches they want to without being cut off and also so they could do the decent thing and honor actors who have passed away

by Anonymousreply 15909/24/2013

Amen R155. I am glad to see in most recent awards show, the clap-o-meter has been replaced by respectful silence (usually by accompanying the montage with a vocal performance rather than an instrumental).

But they still do heirarchical crap like giving the more "important" people several clips, or clips with dialogue, and that bugs the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 16009/24/2013

Why do people like you have to make such a big issue out of how the clips are presented, R160?

Who cares whether it meets your standards or not?

by Anonymousreply 16109/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.