Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do actors really use "techniques"

(I work in a book store part time)

I always see and look thru all these Meisner, Uta Hagan type books with their extensive techniques. Do people really use that?

by Anonymousreply 809/21/2013

Why do you only work there part-time, OP?

by Anonymousreply 109/21/2013

I have another job r1

by Anonymousreply 209/21/2013

It depends on the actor. Those trained for the stage were usually instructed to read a variety of famous actors' "bibles." Different teachers swear by their favorites. "An Actor Prepares" by Michael Shurtleff is one of the best known.

Film actors know that they are cast close to their type, or major personality trait that they project. Their classes focus on being relaxed during auditions, listening and reacting to their scene partners, and bringing something interesting to their characters.

by Anonymousreply 309/21/2013

I'm a working actor. Mostly film and television. My training was essentially Stella Adler which is an offshoot of Stanislavksi. I still mark up my scripts into beats. I still think in terms of 'actions.' I still use sense and physical memory. I still make substitutions. There's an Uta Hagen exercise called '3 entrances.' I still use that all the time.

If I don't like the way a scene is going, I have a variety of 'techniques' I can pull out to help spur something.

by Anonymousreply 509/21/2013

An Actor Prepares is actually the first Stanislavski book (R3).

Michael Shurtleff is the former casting director who wrote "Audition" which many people use as an acting text. It also has fun stories about casting Streisand in her Broadway debut and how Fosse cast the original Pippin.

And yes, most actors do use various techniques- and as R5 states, you can pull out different techniques to help you in different situations.

by Anonymousreply 609/21/2013

R6, Thank you for your "spanking;" it's too early in the morning here on the West Coast for me to be posting.

by Anonymousreply 709/21/2013

You use what you need. Another working actor here. Any of the various methods will be fine as long as the actor doesn't hide behind them with pretentious bullshit or use them as a substitute for talent. A good actor can be better using certain techniques. A bad actor will not be better. It's about working with the core talent. That extra "something" that cannot be defined. Without that, all the coaching in the world won't make someone a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 809/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.