Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Renowned Alcoholic Elaine Stritch Drinking Again!

This is casually revealed in today's NY Times.

All her AA friends must be horrified.

She'll die drunk.

by Anonymousreply 2609/21/2013

OP, you're just being a cunt. Happy with yourself?

by Anonymousreply 109/20/2013

I was quite literally going to post to the "Let's Be the New York Times!" thread, "I'm a puff piece on how Elaine Stritch is still a hoot with fabulous gams, even though she's an octagenarian dry drunk who no longer remembers any lines and whom no one but elderly gay men remembers anymore."

I'm glad I didn't--the word "dry" would have been inaccurate.

by Anonymousreply 209/20/2013

Let the woman drink, if she wants . She knows she'll be killing herself, and that's her choice . I had an uncle who drank his whole life, till he became ill. His Dr. told him, if he didn't stop, he'd be dead in 6 months - year. He stopped for 3 months, was absolutely miserable, then started drinking again. He died 9 months later ( Dr. was spot on, time wise), a shorter life, but a happy drunk. It was HIS choice.

by Anonymousreply 409/20/2013

Oh dear, the "recovery community"! Don't get me started on that bunch!

by Anonymousreply 509/20/2013

[quote] they do a huge disservice to the whole recovery community.

yeah, like Right!

get over yourself

by Anonymousreply 609/20/2013

What is her famous quote from "A Delicate Balance"? I used to quote that but I forget what I would say.

by Anonymousreply 709/20/2013

Old age is a bitch and so is Elaine.

by Anonymousreply 809/20/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 909/20/2013

[quote]What is her famous quote from "A Delicate Balance"?

I think it was "I may be an old drunk, but at least I'm not a fat old drunk, and I'm looking at YOU, Barbara Cook!"

by Anonymousreply 1009/20/2013

W&W for r10

by Anonymousreply 1109/21/2013

"Everybody Riiiiisseee........oh shit, I'm fucking drunk again. Anyone ot a Bays English muffin to go wih my scotch ?"

by Anonymousreply 1209/21/2013

OP? Where ya been, Mary! We've been talking about this FOR MONTHS!

Elaine was filmed for a documentary earlier this year, including her getting ready for her Carlyle gigs having booze including "half" of a cosmopolitan..... and wine. Of course there are wine glasses visible, as the old wretch explains about her "half a drink".

I wrote in another thread before she moved to Michigan, that she'd be dead by Christmas.

She was taking wee nips here and there and still speaking at AA meetings, as if she was abstinent, and acting as if "some drinking" was a perfectly great way to abstain! Bonkers.

by Anonymousreply 1309/21/2013

Nobody's saying Elaine lacks the freedom to do as she pleases, but Christ! She's been as NON Anonymous as any sober celebrity can be, is a terrifying harridan on a sober day, and a narcissistic hag. She's literally dined out on her sobriety for decades, and now acts as if it's all a lark, and that she's earned the right to drink again. Hypocrite.

Sure, she should do as she pleases, but if she's like all the other alkies, what she pleases is to drink herself to death quite quickly. Sure, go ahead, but spare us the dramatics and storytelling. We get it, Elaine. You're an old booze bag. Alcohol is a very powerful drunk, and elderly diabetics who drink are looking to die quickly, even if they don't realize it.

See Elaine? You're really not ANY different than all the other drunks after all.

by Anonymousreply 1409/21/2013

I was there the night she was thrown out of Sardi's when she was so drunk she could barely see straight. Ths was in the early 70's.

by Anonymousreply 1509/21/2013

[quote]I was there the night she was thrown out of Sardi's when she was so drunk she could barely see straight. Ths was in the early 70's.

The year was in the early 70s when it happened or Elaine was in her early 70s when it happened?

by Anonymousreply 1609/21/2013

How much is she paying press agents to keep her face in the papers. She retired, went back home, and we still have to hear about her? Give us a break!

by Anonymousreply 1709/21/2013

R16, it's obvious that it's a date, or are you just being contrary...

Give the old gal some slack, she's an icon of broadway.

by Anonymousreply 1809/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 1909/21/2013

Liz Smith tells us how to contact Ms. Stritch in Michigan:

"You could write Elaine Stritch at 289 Harman Street in Birmingham, Michigan, suite 172 and the zip code is 48009. I can't give you the phone number because Elaine might kill me. She has had a contract out on me ever since 1953 when we first met in Chicago and decided that two people , born on Ground Hog Day, should be lifetime friends."

by Anonymousreply 2009/21/2013

R16- around the time of COMPANY.

by Anonymousreply 2109/21/2013

If the reviews were good in the Golden Olden Days of Broadway musicals, the cast would be expected to forgo their first day off after opening night, always a Sunday back then, and spend the entire day recording the album.

It was an exhausting but necessary tradition for everyone involved.

And then the next Sunday night, the star would appear on What's My Line? as the Mystery Guest (surprising no one).

by Anonymousreply 2209/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 2309/21/2013

You go girl !!!

by Anonymousreply 2409/21/2013

I've never heard the phrase "renowned alcoholic" before.

by Anonymousreply 2509/21/2013

Too many threads about this tired old bag of a nobody. Never was, and certainly never be anybody. Let her rot in Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 2609/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!