Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Has Nature Kept Child Birth So Damn Painful?

I mean really. All that stretching, ripping, and bleeding. It would still be killing women if not for medical science. Why hasn't nature caught onto this shit and wised up?!

by Anonymousreply 2809/21/2013

If a woman is physically fit and has a child standing up as nature intended, she doesn't have this pain.

As to a high probability of death in olden times, well nature didn't ever want there to be so many babies.

by Anonymousreply 109/20/2013

So in other words, OP, you want us to have giant opening between our legs?

by Anonymousreply 209/20/2013

Not in the Fifties. Remember what Patsy says in the the "Birth" episode of "Absolutely Fabulous"?

"My mother didn't give birth. She had something removed!"

by Anonymousreply 309/20/2013

[quote]I mean really. All that stretching, ripping, and bleeding.

Sounds like a typical Friday night!

by Anonymousreply 409/20/2013

So that the kid doesn't slip out before he/she is cooked.

by Anonymousreply 509/20/2013

R1 is right. "Primitive" women give birth naturally, standing up, or squatting. Within a couple of hours they are back out working in the fields.

Our male-dominated medical system put women on their backs during childbirth, making the birth much harder. Our male-dominated religious system forced them to bear far too many children, far too close together,and beginning at far too young an age.

Also civilization has discouraged nature's weeding out of weak genetic stock (thin-hipped women, etc.)

Finally, the advanced evolutionary development of the human being is also to blame. Human baby brains are relatively bigger than any other animal brain, so they have a harder time getting through the birth canal.

by Anonymousreply 609/20/2013

What, you prefer spawning and dying?

by Anonymousreply 709/20/2013

R6 is correct

by Anonymousreply 809/20/2013

Nature should make them numb from head to toe, feeling nothing. Give them a rush of endorphins. Natural drugs.

by Anonymousreply 909/20/2013

Just a couple hits of Jungle Juice and that head pops out without any issues!

by Anonymousreply 1009/20/2013

because Eve was weak.

by Anonymousreply 1109/20/2013

R6 is sort of right, except for the second paragraph, male dominated nonsense. He sounds like he is a literary studies grad student. Generally, each birth is easier for the mother. Adults reach their full dimensions by 18 or so, including the pelvis. I don't think the male dominate religious system is encouraging 15 year olds to have babies. It is actually better if the birth occurs while the mother is a young adult. The first birth tends to have a very long labor period, but the mother and baby usually do very well.

Because of the excellent prenatal care in the past 100 years, babies are extremely large compared to the female pelvis. This can cause pain and trauma.

According to a midwife/rn colleague, births that are done in a more natural setting (even a hospital room that looks like a bedroom helps) and with women friends and family assisting and supporting tend to be much less painful and traumatic to the mother than when labor is treated as a medical emergency.

by Anonymousreply 1209/20/2013

Try water birth.

by Anonymousreply 1409/20/2013

you'd think they'd have a computer that could do it nowadays

by Anonymousreply 1509/20/2013

Remember when they used to knock women out in the 1950s when they were getting ready to give birth? They'd wake up and the baby would be presented. They stop that when they started screaming that it was harmful to the baby.

by Anonymousreply 1609/21/2013

I hate my friend Nature. She is such a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1709/21/2013

R9 I read somewhere that nature does have a mechanism which sort of overrides memory of the pain. Obviously it isn't 100% effective (remembering some of Mother's comments.)

by Anonymousreply 1809/21/2013

Watch a few episodes of Call the Midwife to see how it was back in the fifties for poor women. It sucked for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 1909/21/2013

Newborns are huge now. Ten pounders are not uncommon.

I agree, it has to do with the size of the babies -I speculate that even in ancient times, babies born in agriculturally wealthy societies to affluent women were still too large.

The hunter/gatherer children were even smaller, with a many miscarriages as well.

by Anonymousreply 2109/21/2013

Anyone have any evidence that average birth weights are increasing in the US?

Last study I can find is a decrease since 1995 of 2 ounces.

by Anonymousreply 2209/21/2013

I was three pounds and I'm more evolved than all of you.

by Anonymousreply 2309/21/2013

"I read somewhere that nature does have a mechanism which sort of overrides memory of the pain. "

I think that's true of all pain, not just childbirth. People who have had serious temporary pain don't remember exactly what that felt like. I mean, I had peritonitis and surgery and complications and was in screaming agony for a week, and I remember that I had pain, but I don't remember exactly what it felt like. Many other people have told me the same thing - the brain doesn't retain a detailed memory of pain.

The old joke is "...and that's why women have more than one child".

by Anonymousreply 2409/21/2013

I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies!

by Anonymousreply 2509/21/2013

There's no way it's not going to hurt, standing up or not.

by Anonymousreply 2609/21/2013

R24 I was having a pretty large and deep skin tumor removed when all of a sudden he hit an area where they either missed with the anesthetic shots or it didn't take. O-M-G .. I will NEVER forget the raw wartime pain of a scalpel about .25 an inch deep and slicing.

by Anonymousreply 2709/21/2013

My granny use to say that back in the "old country", women woudl have their babies in the fields under a tree during break time, and go right back to work

by Anonymousreply 2809/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!