Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Louis C.K.'s existenial angst

The Irish Mexican Buddha that is Louis C.K. was on Conan last night to answer some of life’s greatest mysteries and explained why he hates smartphones:

You need to build an ability to just be yourself and not be doing something. That’s what the phones are taking away, is the ability to just sit there. That’s being a person. Because underneath everything in your life there is that thing, that empty—forever empty. That knowledge that it’s all for nothing and that you’re alone. It’s down there.

And sometimes when things clear away, you’re not watching anything, you’re in your car, and you start going, ‘oh no, here it comes. That I’m alone.’ It’s starts to visit on you. Just this sadness. Life is tremendously sad, just by being in it…

That’s why we text and drive. I look around, pretty much 100 percent of the people driving are texting. And they’re killing, everybody’s murdering each other with their cars. But people are willing to risk taking a life and ruining their own because they don’t want to be alone for a second because it’s so hard.

by Anonymousreply 2309/26/2013

Here's the video:

by Anonymousreply 109/20/2013

What's so bad about wanting to avoid feeling shitty?

Its easy to embrace feeling loneliness when you're a millionaire living your dream.

by Anonymousreply 209/20/2013

I kind of related to what LCK was saying but R2 does have a good point.

by Anonymousreply 309/20/2013

He's right

by Anonymousreply 409/20/2013

Not really, R2. I would love to be rich but when you have tons of money that simply becomes the new default. Wealth just allows you to buy even more distractions. Sure, you wouldn't have to work or worry about bills, but...then what? People who feel empty when they're poor are going to feel it even worse when they're rich. Instead of cell phones, it'll be something else that they use to distract themselves: drugs, luxuries, women, men, etc.

by Anonymousreply 509/20/2013

I agree with him. I live in northern NJ, just off Route 80. Back in the 90's, an HOV lane was added to Route 80 in Morris County. Almost nobody used it. Why? Because people like to be alone and drive their own vehicles! The HOV lanes were discontinued in 1998.

Now, we still want to be alone . . . except we want to check our smart phones at every red light, stop sign, loadin/unloading school bus, stop and go traffic.

I use my car horn now more than I ever did because some idiot is texting and not paying attention to the fact that traffic is moving.

by Anonymousreply 609/20/2013

I think most would take the trade in a heartbeat, R5.

by Anonymousreply 709/20/2013

We just had a woman wander out of her lane and into oncoming traffic where her SUV met a bus head on. She was late for work, speeding and trying to read a text.

Two little kids without a mother and for what? My heart would be broken if I was 8 years old and found out my mother was dead. How can you do that to your kid?

by Anonymousreply 809/20/2013

I believe he is Hungarian

by Anonymousreply 909/20/2013

"I kind of related to what LCK was saying but [R2] does have a good point."

No. Like Marilyn Monroe's waiter/butler comment in ALL ABOUT EVE, R2's "point" is not good. It's idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 1009/20/2013

While that's true, R7, I think that everyone that did would soon discover the empty feeling remains.

Lots of rich people kill themselves, you know.

If anything, the lack of need to work can cause massive depression because you're almost forced to face up to the emptiness of existence, because you have so little to distract you in the way of things you MUST do (like work, survive).

by Anonymousreply 1109/20/2013

Sorry, but he kinda sounds like an idiot who thinks he's "deep."

by Anonymousreply 1209/20/2013

R7, I would take the trade too but being rich still doesn't fix emptiness. It allows you to buy more expensive distractions. Crying in a Honda vs. crying in an Audi, etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 1309/20/2013

LCK has become a parody of himself. That's the kind of observation that passes for profound when you're 14.

by Anonymousreply 1409/20/2013

R14, don't flatter yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1509/20/2013

r14 = LCK

Even his insults don't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 1609/20/2013

[quote]I believe he is Hungarian

He has a Hungarian last name (Szekely, pronounced Ceé-Kay-Lee) because his paternal grandfather was a Hungary-to-Mexico migrant who married a Mexican woman.

Louis' father was born and raised in Mexico. Louis' mother was born and raised in Ireland. They met at Harvard, got married, had Louis in the US, and moved back to Mexico when Louis was a child.

Louis was raised Mexican (and Catholic, duh) in the country of Mexico, with Spanish as a first language. Though some may say he looks 100% Irish, he considers himself Mexican-Irish - and one must remember that both Mexicans and The Irish come in every shape and color.

by Anonymousreply 1709/25/2013

R17 "He has a Hungarian last name (Szekely, pronounced Ceé-Kay-Lee)"

That is not how you pronounce Szekely. Not even close. If you are going to illuminate the masses with your wisdom, you should do your homework first.

It's all in Wikipedia indeed.

by Anonymousreply 1809/25/2013

This guy is talented but WAY overrated. The backlash will be fun.

by Anonymousreply 1909/25/2013

I hardly ever feel bored. There's always something new you can learn. Try doing something hard: (learn to) play an instrument, write a poem, short story, a song, take a course in a challenging science subject. Maybe you will even come up with or create something that will change your life for the good.

The key is to activate yourself and limit any kind of passive entertainment. Spending too much time watching TV, bullshitting on social media or reading random nonsense on the internet is like gorging on junk food, despite all the sensory stimulation and momentary gratification you just end up feeling more empty than before.

by Anonymousreply 2009/25/2013

Attention shoppers:

We have a lost child at the courtesy desk who responds to the name r20...

by Anonymousreply 2109/26/2013

Well, if you're really rich and feel empty, you can go take lots of yoga classes, then host a wedding for your yoga instructor on the grounds of your oceanfront estate under a large yellow teddy bear. Call your friends at the NY Times and tell them what a redemptive, spiritual story you have for them -- it involves everything! Child killing, grief, divorce, sexual chemistry, yellow candles, pigeon blood red dress, exotic childbearing potions, tick grooming -- and how it will make a great Sunday feature.

You might get an invite from GOOP!

by Anonymousreply 2209/26/2013

i'm sick of this asshole

by Anonymousreply 2309/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.