Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

NBC's Valerie Harper Cancer ' Special '

I'm old - but watching this made me realize how TV has changed so much , since I was a kid. 'Special's then, meant Barbra, Judy,Sinatra, Goldie, Julie, Liza - singing, dancing, skits, making you feel happy, light, wanting to smile. Now you have this poor woman, sweet, extremely likable, being followed around, getting CT scans, family crying about her, going to & from Dr. appts., and picking out the plot where she will be buried. WTF ?

by Dwight Hemionreply 3110/10/2013

Back then a loaf of bread cost a nickel!

by Dwight Hemionreply 209/20/2013

No one has any talent and no one can put on a show anymore. All we can come up with is voyeurism and soap opera-like obsessions with people's private lives or boring workdays. I. don't know what Ms. Harper thinks this is going to be good for. Maybe it's a way for her to connect to her public. I think it's a little undignified and I don't know why anyone, even her fans, would want to watch this.

by Dwight Hemionreply 309/20/2013

Goldie?

Seriously?

by Dwight Hemionreply 409/20/2013

OP, your position on this topic will largely be derided as most on this thread will have known crap TV. The idea of rubbing the publics face in the depressing day in and day out routine of a terminally ill celebrity is most under 50 year olds idea of great TV.

There's nothing new in the life of a terminally ill person, but the current prevailing idea of "wonderful" is sharing. No matter how horrid the info, just wanting to share makes everything stupendous.

by Dwight Hemionreply 509/20/2013

R4 Oh yes - everyone had a 'Special' back then. I remember 2 with Goldie - 1 /The Goldie Hawn Special, 1978, 2 / Goldie and Liza Together, 1980. I think the 2nd was basically a public audition for the two to do a then planned ' Chicago' movie. Back then, their names were the 2 most talked about , for the Velma & Roxie roles. They never imagined that it would be another 22 years until the film was made, and they would be too old.

by Dwight Hemionreply 609/20/2013

R5, you are terrible at writing.

by Dwight Hemionreply 709/20/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Dwight Hemionreply 809/20/2013

Val is an incredible woman. One ofthe truly nicest people you'll ever meet. I wish her only good thoughts, and a miraculous recovery. We need more like her in this world.

by Dwight Hemionreply 910/05/2013

I'm beginning to wonder if she really has cancer or if this whole thing is just a publicity stunt. Seems kinda fishy how she was suppose to be dead 3 months ago. But, instead she is dancing away on DWTS.

by Dwight Hemionreply 1010/05/2013

I hate to say it, R10, but I wonder the same thing. Something doesn't seem right about all this. You don't go from 3 months to live to the intense physical strength it takes to do DWTS. I also think it's really tacky to have cameras follow you around during scans and chemo and things like that. IMO it is in the worst taste.

If this is some kind of scam Valerie Harper doesn't seem like the kind that would do that, but who knows. Maybe she needs money really bad for some other reason but it would still be a really disgusting thing to do.

by Dwight Hemionreply 1110/05/2013

Really R10 life has kicked that hard in the balls? Consider yourself pitied.

by Dwight Hemionreply 1210/05/2013

Really? You talk about television specials and don't mention ME?

by Dwight Hemionreply 1310/05/2013

I've known two younger people with brain cancer and they couldn't even participate in "dragging your ass to the bathroom with the stars" from the day they started treatment. I mean it's your brain for fuck's sake.

by Dwight Hemionreply 1410/05/2013

[quote]No one has any talent and no one can put on a show anymore.

Oh please, go fuck yourself.

by Dwight Hemionreply 1510/05/2013

Op, I'm 33 so I think all of those specials you mentioned were before my time (or else I'm too young to remember) but who could you imagine doing that today?

God forbid we should have a musical/comedy special starring the likes of Miley, Justin (Timberlake or Bieber), Beyonce, etc.

No thank you. I think I'm fine where we are.

by Dwight Hemionreply 1610/05/2013

We don't need no stinkin' specials. We got GLEE.

by Dwight Hemionreply 1710/05/2013

I hope she's gettin' a bucket of loot for this show. I agree about so-called "specials", no one has the talent anymore to MAKE it special. This leads me to one of my pet peeves, celebrity roasts. James Franco? Flava Flav? Really??? Christ, George Burns had to be one friggin' hundred before he got one. You had to put your "time" in to get a roast, and show an appreciable body of work. Now anyone, it seems, can get one, just by being erect and not too stoned or drunk to show up. No sense of taste OR tradition.

by Dwight Hemionreply 1810/06/2013

If Cher wanted to do another Variety show on Sunday nights, I bet the networks would jump. Celebs would kill to get on but I don't think she wants to work that hard anymore. Now she just lip synchs to some songs, changes costumes, lip synchs some more and goes back to the hotel room.

by Dwight Hemionreply 1910/06/2013

[quote]Val is an incredible woman. One ofthe truly nicest people you'll ever meet. I wish her only good thoughts, and a miraculous recovery. We need more like her in this world.

She's a Valerie to Cherish.

by Dwight Hemionreply 2010/06/2013

R20 Touché

by Dwight Hemionreply 2110/06/2013

When HP chief Patricia Dunn got busted for pretexting and faced a prison term, she discussed her fourth stage ovarian cancer on 60 Minutes and said she didn't have long to live and didn't want to die in prison. The judge let her off with probation. This was in 2006 -- she didn't die until 2011.

by Dwight Hemionreply 2210/06/2013

Wasn't she supposed to be dead by now? I think she's doing a Magic Johnson with this cancer thing.

by Dwight Hemionreply 2310/08/2013

She sure is milking this cancer thing to death. But on the plus side she finally looks a 100 percent better than Mary Tyler Moore.

Of course they could dig up any corpse in any graveyard and it'd look better than Mary Tyler Moore now.

Only Olivia Newton-John's daughter and the potato head trio look worse than MTM.

But it serves MTM right for dumping Grant Tinker.

by Dwight Hemionreply 2410/09/2013

If she becomes too ill to perform they can always replace her with Sandy Duncan.

by Dwight Hemionreply 2510/09/2013

Droll, R25.

by Dwight Hemionreply 2610/09/2013

by Dwight Hemionreply 2710/09/2013

r27 Sandy Duncan? I can't see her in it.

by Dwight Hemionreply 2810/10/2013

[quote]If she becomes too ill to perform they can always replace her with Sandy Duncan.

They'd have to change the name from "Valerie's Story" to "The Hogan Family's Story"

by Dwight Hemionreply 2910/10/2013

by Dwight Hemionreply 3010/10/2013

Dr Kervorkian got out of prison because he was "dying" but lived (and worked) for several years after.

by Dwight Hemionreply 3110/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.