Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you ever regret not moving to New York?

Since DL is NY obsessed, I thought I'd pose the question

by Anonymousreply 4809/22/2013

I left and never went back, and I chose "now and then."

by Anonymousreply 109/20/2013

No. I regret the alternative.

by Anonymousreply 209/21/2013

[quote]Since DL is NY obsessed,

DL is not NY obsessed.

NY DLers are NY obsessed, the ones here who treat DL as if it was an NYC message board.

The idea that being gay means you need to move to New York or San Francisco is only for those 60 years and older.

by Anonymousreply 309/21/2013

I was always planning to move to NYC. I'm from Boston, but I also wanted to live in California. So I moved to San Diego years ago and never left. While SD is a very nice city, and I have many friends, and the quality is quite good here, I always regret not moving to NYC and eventually back to Boston.

by Anonymousreply 409/21/2013

I want to move to NY in 1985 live like Aidan Quinn in Desperatly Seeking Susan.

by Anonymousreply 509/21/2013

No, I moved to LA for a number of years when I was 18 and that is more my style.

by Anonymousreply 609/21/2013

Nope, I'm very happy in Portugal right now.

by Anonymousreply 709/21/2013

I grew up in NY but never lived there a an adult. I've lived all over, but for the past 20 years in SF. I love it here, but sometimes think I would have been happier in NY. All my closest friends have always been from the East Coast. I feel like I am always translating when I talk to people on the West Coast.

by Anonymousreply 809/21/2013

I work there frequently - once a week sometimes. I get to see first hand how annoying it is to live there. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 909/21/2013

Um, no. I live there.

by Anonymousreply 1009/21/2013

Regret what? Meningitis?

by Anonymousreply 1109/21/2013

It's a nice place to visit, but I'd NEVER want to live there.

by Anonymousreply 1209/21/2013

Yes and no. I love NYC, but I've never moved there because I know I wouldn't be able to afford a decent lifestyle. I don't want to spend every penny I have just to rent a shithole the size of a closet for the rest of my life. So I'll have to make due with just visiting from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 1309/21/2013

New York is so overrated. Parts of it are still crap after Rudy's Fascist regime. The uptick in crime since stop and frisk ended is only the beginning of the end. We're going back to the 80s crime wise and there is nothing that can stop that.

by Anonymousreply 1409/21/2013

[quote]New York is so overrated. Parts of it are still crap after Rudy's Fascist regime. The uptick in crime since stop and frisk ended is only the beginning of the end. We're going back to the 80s crime wise and there is nothing that can stop that.

I'm sure you referring to the increase in shootings and decrease in gun seizures.

Which kind of speaks to the need for gun control not racist police practices.

by Anonymousreply 1609/21/2013

Silly R15. People who matter are everywhere. It's true that America's suburban design makes it lonely and quiet even where there is significant population. But I think that leads to a hysterical over-selling of New York, whose density is such a contrast, but which after all, is not at all special by international standards. Anyway, as much of international import happens in Washington, LA, and SF these days.

by Anonymousreply 1709/21/2013

I knew a number of artists who moved to NYC years ago. Every single one of them developed an attitude and at the same time lost their unique vision and creativity. They started churning out garbage and thinking it was the greatest thing in the world. New York is a joke and has been since the end of the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 1809/21/2013

You flyover idiots never get tired of the NYC bashing. Give it a rest, we never give you guys or wherever the hell you live a second thought.

by Anonymousreply 1909/21/2013

R19, THANK YOU.

by Anonymousreply 2009/21/2013

Too crowded. Too dirty. Too expensive. Shitty weather.

by Anonymousreply 2109/21/2013

But why move now when The Lure is closed? Next!

by Anonymousreply 2209/21/2013

I moved to Berlin instead and had the time of my life. An ex-New Yorker came to my apartment once and it blew his mind that I had 90 square meters all to myself (not in the best neighborhood, but it was gentrifying like crazy when I left) for under 500 Euros per month.

by Anonymousreply 2309/21/2013

Wow, see what happens when you have a thread that doesn't praise New York City? R15 and r19 come around and froth at the mouth about how stupid the rest of America is for not living there.

R15, you seriously should work for the NYC tourism bureau. You really have a grasp on marketing New York City to make it sound so lovely.

by Anonymousreply 2409/21/2013

I wish I could emigrate to Europe. How is that done?

by Anonymousreply 2509/21/2013

no. I'm the nervous and timid type and would not be a positive addition to the city. I love New York but get a bit anxious when I'm there. But I get the same way when I'm in Chicago or LA. But I live in Palm Springs and like my pool, spa and room for a pony.

Funny, I don't feel that way when I'm in London or Paris.

by Anonymousreply 2609/21/2013

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 2709/21/2013

[all posts by flame bait troll (hates:men,women,muslims,gays,lesbians,jews and Obama, loves posting about stabbing women, bashing gays, killing jews etc.) #10 removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 2809/21/2013

My dad was born and raised in New York City, so I've been going there throughout the years since I was a baby. I love NYC, I really do; however, I could never live there. There's no shame in admitting a city is too fast-paced and expensive.

by Anonymousreply 2909/21/2013

[quote] You flyover idiots never get tired of the NYC bashing. Give it a rest, we never give you guys or wherever the hell you live a second thought.

That's just not true.

I've never met a group of people more committed to clearly identifying what is better about them then others.

by Anonymousreply 3009/21/2013

My company transferred me to NYC in 1995. I was there until 2002. I found NYC to be filthy, crowded, and filled with self-absorbed, pretentious and rude people. In January of 2002 I turned in my resignation and packed my things. I could not get on that plane back to Florida quick enough.

I will never, by choice, step foot in that over-crowded cesspool again as long as I live. I love clean air and open spaces.

by Anonymousreply 3109/21/2013

[quote]I will never, by choice, step foot in that over-crowded cesspool again as long as I live. I love clean air and open spaces.

looks like we're kindred spirits

by Anonymousreply 3209/21/2013

Maybe a fleeting "what if" regret a couple times in my twenties.

I spent a lot of time there through college and into my early thirties. As appealing as the place was, I never moved there, never seriously considered it despite a couple of job offers. New York, more than London, more than most any place is a cruel lesson in never having enough. By the time I had the money to live there with enough "insulate, insulate, insulate" luxury, any desire to do so had passed. Then, too, the older I got, the more other places I saw, the more I disliked New Yorkers.

by Anonymousreply 3309/21/2013

I lived in NY and left after 7 years. I used to regret leaving as my life was full of disappointment afterwards...

As I get older, I try not to regret too much as...what's the point?

by Anonymousreply 3409/21/2013

[quote]Where is the tension coming from? Is it 9-11 PTSD, is it all the class consciousness? What is it with NYers?

It's financial stress. They're all running on a financial treadmill, trying to keep up with their ridic rent or mortgage payments.

by Anonymousreply 3509/21/2013

Can you PLEASE be specific, OP, so we know how to respond to your question?

Are you talking about the New York in Texas or the New York in New York?

Honestly. Don't be so provincial.

by Anonymousreply 3609/21/2013

I don't get the "flyover" comments. Most Americans live in or near a major city.

The flyover areas are depopulated. So to assume if someone isn't living in NYC they are somehow living in a podunk is strange. It also further perpetuates the stereotype that New Yorkers think NYC is the only vibrant place in the US-- and maybe the world.

by Anonymousreply 3709/21/2013

Growing up in a boring suburb near a city of only 150,000 I always dreamed of living in a city, but I would rather live in a suburb close to a major city than city proper.

As far as NYC, I like that it is compact and walkable with lots of things to do-- but I think I would be annoyed and overwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 3809/21/2013

I regret nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3909/21/2013

NY is its people. I'd never want to visit but living here is great but you have to be a certain kind of person. I have found new arrivals still love it like I did but now I find it too changed fir the worse to spend all my time here. So I am like only 6-8 months here. But that amount is still important to me.

by Anonymousreply 4009/21/2013

I've been here for 27 years and I still like it, but it is too expensive and gentrified now. All the young people are boring, spoiled little brats who can't do anything interesting because they are overprotected by mommy and daddy.

It's definitely lost its edge and become too bland.

by Anonymousreply 4109/21/2013

I've dreamed about NYC all my life.

I've saved $25,000 of my retirement fund just to spend one full year there after retiring. I can hardly wait.

I just know the first time I see the Statue of Liberty or Empire State Building or the Met I'll be a puddle of gay goo and tears.

by Anonymousreply 4209/21/2013

[quote]I've saved $25,000 of my retirement fund just to spend one full year there after retiring. I can hardly wait.

Hate to break it to you but 25k isn't going to last a year in NYC....

by Anonymousreply 4309/21/2013

Well, yes but I'm hoping that $2k a month social security covers the shortfall. However it lasts, I'm determined to experience a life long dream to live in NY.

by Anonymousreply 4409/21/2013

Never. Not for ONE second, I fucking love it here, and have loved it since I arrived in 1981 after graduating high school.

by Anonymousreply 4509/21/2013

I like New York, but honestly, if I had the choice I'd rather live in London, Berlin, or Paris than NYC (and I say this as an American).

by Anonymousreply 4609/21/2013

I misread the question. Oy!

I thought it read "Did you ever regret moving TO New York?"

Everyone should live here, or regret it!

by Anonymousreply 4709/22/2013

Question for the older folks on here: is NYC a depressing place to live once you get into your older years (like 60+)? I'm 31 now and I think it would be fun to live there in my 30's and 40's, but I'm kind of afraid if I stayed there into my older years that it would lonely and isolating with no family there. I'm also worried that it would be hard to live there financially in my older years.

I'd love to hear your takes.

by Anonymousreply 4809/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.