Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How Long Until Pope Francis Is Murdered?

I fear for the guy's life.

by Anonymousreply 3510/10/2013

When I was reading about him yesterday I couldn't help but think of how much he was like Pope JPI. Tho I think JPI got in trouble because of the Vatican Bank issues (or maybe because he wanted to sell the church's art work and empty the church coffers to help the poor?). I don't think homosexuality, birth control and abortion are on the same level as that. I don't think there will ever be another Pope who will admit that he wants to completely "clean house" after what happened to JPI

by Anonymousreply 109/20/2013

If Francis is attempting to "Anthony Quinn" the Church, then he's in for a rough ride. He can tweak little things here and there, but substantial changes? uh uh. I admire him for what he's been saying, but it's really just rearranging the furniture. He knows he's gotta' put asses in those pews, to up the weekly collections. Many will see him and his words as positive signs. Whatever! He's a damn sight better than the last two. If I were him, I'd sleep with one eye open. I wonder if he feels there is ANYone he can absolutely trust?

by Anonymousreply 209/20/2013

Good point R2. So far all he's done is talk. Will have to wait to see if there is any action behind his words.

by Anonymousreply 309/20/2013

He can trust people who were with him in Argentina. His security is so lax they could have him assassinated rather than another messy papal suffocation.

by Anonymousreply 409/20/2013

This is why he is so accessible to the media. Letting in the sunlight to see what's in all those dark corners, lurking about.

by Anonymousreply 509/20/2013

Don't know, don't care.

by Anonymousreply 609/20/2013

R2, apparently at least you have one other poster in R3 who can mistake your lazy rote rambling for clarity of thought. But the imitation would be more convincing with a few less cliches.

by Anonymousreply 709/21/2013

It will be a long time, if ever. The real crooks don't care about morality. The statements he's making now are being well received by lay Catholics and will bring people back to church.

by Anonymousreply 809/21/2013

This week's pronouncement made me think of "Godfather III"

by Anonymousreply 909/21/2013

Maybe the cardinals at the Vatican should be more afraid of what Francis might do to them. He has connections to the Argentine military junta which became quite adept at making people disappear.

by Anonymousreply 1009/21/2013

Pope attacks global economics for worshipping 'god of money'

The pope, who later celebrated Mass for some 300,000 people outside the city's cathedral, told them: "We don't want this globalised economic system which does us so much harm. Men and women have to be at the centre (of an economic system) as God wants, not money."

"It is not a problem of Italy and Europe ... It is the consequence of a world choice, of an economic system that brings about this tragedy, an economic system that has at its centre an idol which is called money," he said to the cheers of the crowd.

Francis, who as bishop of Buenos Aires sided with unemployed workers in their conflict with government austerity plans, ended his improvised speech with a prayer asking God to "give us work and teach us to fight for work"

by Anonymousreply 1109/22/2013

What a hypocrite. Then chip all the gold out of the Vatican and give it away, you old creep. You first.

by Anonymousreply 1209/22/2013

Hopefully he isn't. What's that Peter the Roman prophecy thing again?

by Anonymousreply 1309/22/2013

"What a hypocrite. Then chip all the gold out of the Vatican and give it away, you old creep. You first."

Well, it's not his to give away. And he has forsworn all trappings of his position, living in a small modest apartment (instead of the de facto Pope palace he could be in) and driving a shitty used car rather than be chauffeured around.

Sorry but compared to a lot of previous Popes, this one is putting his money where his mouth is.

by Anonymousreply 1409/22/2013

Jesus said no hierarchical structures for spiritual knowledge. Screw these pedos. Vatican's EVIL!

by Anonymousreply 1509/22/2013

R14, see link.

by Anonymousreply 1609/22/2013

He gave a great speech about people who are out of work and greedy corporations

Pope Francis Denounces Big Business' 'Idolatry Of Money' In Sardinia Address Offering Hope To Unemployed, Poor

Pope Francis denounced what he called big business's idolatry of money as he traveled Sunday to one of Italy's poorest regions to offer hope to the unemployed and entrepreneurs struggling to hang on. "Where there is no work, there is no dignity," he said.

Francis left aside his prepared remarks and spoke off the cuff to thousands of people in Sardinia's capital, telling them he knew well what it was like to suffer from financial crisis. He recalled that his Italian parents, who immigrated to Argentina before he was born, spoke about it often at home.

"My young father went to Argentina full of illusions of making it in America," a somber Francis told the crowd at the start of a daylong visit to the island. "And he suffered the terrible crisis of the 1930s. They lost everything. There was no work." He said it's easy for a priest to come and tell the poor to have courage, but that he really meant it. Amid shouts of "Lavoro! Lavoro!" (Work! Work!), Francis called for a dignified work for all.

Sardinia, known for its pristine beaches and swank vacation homes, has been particularly hard-hit by Italy's economic crisis, with businesses closing and more and more of the island's families forced to seek charity. The island's desperation made headlines last year when a coal miner, participating in an underground sit-in to protest the planned closure of the mine, slashed his wrists on television. Unemployment in Italy is at 12%, with youth unemployment a staggering 39.5%. In Sardinia and the rest of Italy's south and islands, the figures are even worse: Unemployment is nearing 20% with youth unemployment at 50%.

Francis told the Sardinians, some of whom wore hardhats from their defunct factory jobs, that the economic problems were the result of a global economic system "that has at its center an idol called money."

Francis has made reaching out to the poor and most marginal the priority of his pontificate. This is only his second visit to an Italian city outside Rome; the first was to the isolated island of Lampedusa, where thousands of migrants come ashore each year.Francis noted the similarity, saying both islands were places of immense suffering but also hope. "It's easy to say `don't lose hope,'" he said. "But to all of you who have work, and to those who don't, let me tell you: Don't let yourselves be robbed of hope."

Later, Francis celebrated Mass in the piazza outside the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Bonaria, the island's patron and namesake of Francis' native Buenos Aires. The pope is particularly devoted to the Madonna and wanted to make a pilgrimage to the shrine. After Mass, Francis met with the poor and some prisoners in the capital's cathedral, delivered a speech at the island's Catholic university and gave an off-the-cuff pep rally to young Sardinians gathered in a main square before returning to Rome.

He shared a personal detail with the kids, that Saturday had marked the 60th anniversary when he first felt the call to be a priest. "In all these years that have passed, I've had some successes, joys, but also years of failure, fragility and sin," he said. "Sixty years on the path of the Lord." In a sign that the exhausting day was starting to take its toll, Francis inadvertently slipped into his native Spanish in his final public remarks in Sardinia, which like many of Italy's regions has its own dialect. "Hah," he chuckled. "Even I'm speaking dialect here."

by Anonymousreply 1709/22/2013

I'm guessing a year, but possibly not. Really the military people have got to see by now that conservatism isn't working ANYWHERE in the world.

by Anonymousreply 1809/22/2013

r7 You may not like my style of writing, but do you disagree with what I say?

by Anonymousreply 1909/23/2013

As we all know, the Catholic saints prophecised that this would be the very last Pope.

by Anonymousreply 2009/23/2013

I've had the same thought OP. This Pope acts more like a pastor than a politician. Let's hope he can stay alive long enough to do some good work.

by Anonymousreply 2109/23/2013

Why do you care?

by Anonymousreply 2209/23/2013

Pope Francis comes with some heavy and disturbing baggage. Francis is on record stating that women are nothing more than the helpers of men, and are themselves unfit for political office. In a speech against Argentina presidential candidate Cristina Kirchner given in 2007, during the electoral campaign, then Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio said:

Women are naturally unfit for political office. Both the natural order and facts show us that the political being par excellence is male; the Scripture shows us that woman has always been the helper of man who thinks and does, but nothing more.

In addition to the blatant misogyny, Francis is also on record speaking out forcefully against laws granting marriage and adoption rights for gay men and lesbians. In a 2010 letter published in L’Osservatore Romano, he asserted that gay adoption is a form of discrimination against children, and claimed same sex marriage would “seriously damage the family.”

Francis even went so far as to suggest that the struggle for marriage equality is not simply a political struggle, but it is an attempt to "destroy God’s plan, a ‘move’ of the father of lies who seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God.”

by Anonymousreply 2309/23/2013

I agree his days are likely numbered...

by Anonymousreply 2409/23/2013

r24, link?

by Anonymousreply 2509/23/2013

Was Pope JP1 murdered?

by Anonymousreply 2610/10/2013

r27 Many believe he was. A super-short pontificate; mysterious death, with many conflicting pieces; and a quickie embalming and burial, sans autopsy. It wasn't possible for the Vatican to make it look any more sordid or suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 2710/10/2013

Francis is just firing over the bows of the curia departments. In time he'll be replacing people, and then change will start. It can't last because of the nature of such institutions, but in his papacy, anyway, his dictates will be followed.

And he'll move fast because of his age. He knows his time of being on top of matters is relatively short.

He's a Jesuit, remember. A Jesuit for the first time has taken control of the Church, and he's not going to waste the opportunity. His choice of "Francis" carries the implicit echo of Francis Xavier, as well and Francis of Assisi. He wants souls for Christ, and he's blending the focus on simplicity and love of the poor with the evangelical zeal of the Jesuit missionaries. It's the only tactic the Church has left to infuse energy while not completely scaring off the right and left. But he's going to trim and cut and clear.

As for his murder, his staying in the guest house helps his chances. It leaves snipers/bombers or the unlikely poisoner. He also knows it won't matter, because if he lasts 3-5 years his imprint will be strong enough to ensure a like-minded head as a successor.

Remember, he was voted in by a large majority, which includes the curial cardinals. He's still JPII's boy himself. The changes will be structural and in matters of atmosphere, at least at first. But if he unexpectedly looks closer at the big issues, hew will act with the tactical intelligence of his order. (By the way, remember that JPII himself went after the Jesuits early on, to cut them down to size. This is their revenge!)

As for the ass calling for chiseling out the gold, one assumes that such clueless, spouting creatures are the ones who give nothing themselves to philanthropy. AT LEAST, through it all, the Church has been decent enough to recognize the importance of its many cultural treasures and to mostly protect them. That's one thing to say in its favor. additional to the considerable real charity it does support.

And I'm not Catholic. Because they'll never turn from the insanity of their absurd beliefs, no matter how much the support evolution and the existence of life on other planets (as they do.)

by Anonymousreply 2810/10/2013

God what a freak. Not a Catholic but worships the Jesuits! Jesuits are just as stupid and evil as all the rest.

He's a propagandist. He is really a reformer who lied his way to the top by being a bigger bigot than anyone so he could be elevated to the papacy and tear it down? Only time will tell. One thing's sure: NATO spies did not install two Nazi collaborator popes to give up Catholic Fascism without a fight.

by Anonymousreply 2910/10/2013

Mary,R30.

by Anonymousreply 3010/10/2013

Oh dear, you're quite unhinged R30.

by Anonymousreply 3110/10/2013

R30, Jesuits may be evil, but if you think they are stupid you know nothing about about Jesuits. They're the Delta Force of the Catholic Church.

by Anonymousreply 3210/10/2013

Our current Holy Father will be Pope until the Lord decides to call him home. Only the Lord knows when that will be.

by Anonymousreply 3310/10/2013

But, R34, sometimes the Lord needs a little help.

by Anonymousreply 3410/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.