Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New Yorkers: where to see THE WIZARD OF OZ in true Imax?

Somebody told me that the only true Imax in the city is at the 66th St. Loews, and it's not playing there. Does anyone know what the closest suburban theatres are that have real Imaxes? Is the difference from the other faux-Imaxes in the city really so pronounced that it's worth schlepping to the suburbs to see this thing for real?

by Anonymousreply 1309/27/2013

The only other true-sized Imax is at the Cradle of Aviation museum near the Nassau Coliseum, but they are not playing it either.

I'm taking my chances and seeing it at the 34th Street. The screen is more Lie-max than I-max, but it is bigger than average and I'm sure the presentation will be first-rate.

by Anonymousreply 109/20/2013

Anyone going this weekend?

by Anonymousreply 209/20/2013

Yeah go see it in IMAX because in that version, the scarecrow and Dorothy marry in the end.

by Anonymousreply 309/22/2013

Saw it yesterday. I notice a lot I hadn't noticed before. Sound quality was pretty much the same. 3D was good for twister scene and munchkin land. The rest of the film was just the character a little popped out. Nothing shocking. I never saw it on the big screen so that alone was great. I couldn't believe how many kids went and into it they were. They were even having conversations about it while leaving.

by Anonymousreply 409/22/2013

Oh, two lesbians were sitting in front of me, one scratching the other one's back. They was also a crazy gay guy who laughed loud and told people to turn off their phones and was willing to fight if anyone acted up.

by Anonymousreply 509/22/2013

Saw it at 34th Street, not real IMAX. Mostly queens, some 20somethings, mercifully few children.

by Anonymousreply 609/22/2013

[quote]Yeah go see it in IMAX because in that version, the scarecrow and Dorothy marry in the end.

Not only that, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion get married as well. The scene of the double ceremony leaves not a dry eye in the house.

Plus, the Wicked Witch of the West recovers from having melted, and emerges from the experience even fiercer, if you can imagine that. Soon she's making the rounds of all the talk shows talking shit about the other characters.

by Anonymousreply 709/22/2013

Bumping again for opinions on whether it's worth it to go outside the city, and if so, where to go. The New York Post review says:

"Note: I saw the 3-D version at the Kips Bay multiplex, which has one of the newer (and relatively smaller) “Digital IMAX’’ screens. If you want to see it on a classic, six-story IMAX screen, you’ll have to schlep out to New Rochelle. Probably worth it."

Is New Rochelle the closest to the city that has a real IMAX? Does anyone know if any of the following are real IMAXes:

Elizabeth, NJ Clifton, NJ Paramus, NJ Westbury, NY New Brunswick, NJ White Plains, NY

And are any of these (including New Rochelle) close to public transportation?

by Anonymousreply 809/23/2013

Haha, the censored phrase is New R-o-c-h-e-l-l-e. I forgot that that word is censored on DL!

by Anonymousreply 909/23/2013

Rochelle, Rochelle?

"A young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk."

New, though? Nah, it's from the early 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 1009/23/2013

Sony lincoln square is a true IMAX theater.

The film is shot in old 4:3 aspect ratio so you won't gain anything by seeing it there. Saw it over the weekend on 34th Street and it was quite good. They've done a great restoration on the picture and the audio is probably as good as they can get it.

3D doesn't really enhance much. Luckily they didn't overdo it.

by Anonymousreply 1109/23/2013

The screen at Lincoln Square is a lot bigger, but Oz isn't playing there.

by Anonymousreply 1209/23/2013

Now being shown at 11:45 a.m. shows at the Lincoln Square Loews!

by Anonymousreply 1309/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.