Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone seeing "The Wizard of Oz" today, or this weekend?

Opens today, Friday, Sept. 20, 2013. It's only for one week only.

by Anonymousreply 3709/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 109/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 209/20/2013

Is this the 3-D version?

by Anonymousreply 309/20/2013

I thought it was supposed to play for a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 409/20/2013

A friend caught it last night. He worked 25+ years on films and TV in Hollywood, and is usually pretty critical about attempts to remake or repackage older films. But he has nothing but raves for the 3D / IMAX / Dolby 7.1 enhancements done to this classic film. Says he saw things he never noticed before, and the sound was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 509/20/2013

Yes, 3-D, and it's only playing until Thursday. It opened tonight, Friday. One week only. The week after, it's being released in stores.

by Anonymousreply 609/20/2013

The 3-D Imax treatment really enhances a movie that is already great. It's almost like seeing it for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 709/21/2013

I agree with the other posters. The 3D was subtle enough that it really enhanced the film. I saw trap doors under the Wicked Witch that I've never seen before, as well as other the prosthetics on the Cowardly Lion looked cheap but not off putting, the lack of actual tin in the Tin Man's costume was blatant, Scarecrow looked brilliant though. These revelations only served to make the old film endearing.st made the film more endearing. I will say that I'd honestly never noticed how fey the lion was before, and The Emerald City was without a doubt full of queens dancing during the musical number.

All in all I'm quite proud to say that I saw it in IMAX during it's short run, I'll definitely be buying this Blu-ray next month, It won't be the same as the theater, but the quality of work done to the film compels me to do my part help recover the cost of updating the film.

by Anonymousreply 809/22/2013

I was looking for the trap door. I saw that on the DVD or Blu-ray I think, recently, released in 2009. I didn't catch it in IMAX though. I tried.

At least I saw it on the big screen. I was born in the 80s, so I didn't stand a chance of seeing it in a movie theater.

I'm glad that I read other people complaining about the sound. They could have fixed that shit up. The trailer had better audio!

The Munchkin scene was always tedious to me, but I actually enjoyed it this time, but I could really make out the costumes and the set pieces.

Good god, Glinda's costume was cheap!

I wonder what would happen if they put CGI into the film like Lucas did with the original "Star Wars." lmao. I'd love to see the film bastardized!

by Anonymousreply 909/22/2013

Hey, I wasn't the old one who noticed how cheap the costumes were!

When I started hearing "Over The Rainbow," I got embarrassed, thinking, "What the hell am I doing here." lol. It is pretty corny. Just play the tornado, Margaret Hamilton's shit on repeat, and the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion pieces, along with the Wizard scenes. The rest, dump it!

Wonder how 111-year-old Margaret would feel knowing that she lived on in 3D? I wonder if her son Hamilton saw it. They should have had him at the premiere!

I want a hologram version next!

by Anonymousreply 1009/22/2013

Saw it this past weekend and it was impressive in IMAX 3D. You see lots of little details normally missed, in the backgrounds, sets, costumes, backdrops, etc. When Dorothy's farmhouse whirls to a crash-landing in Munchkin Land, the "thud" rattled the theater seats. The various shades of green in the Emerald City are dazzling. A very fitting and upgrade to a timeless classic.

by Anonymousreply 1109/23/2013

Spoiler:

It is all a dream.

by Anonymousreply 1209/23/2013

Spoiler: Dorothy died in the tornado. It's all the death fevers of a dying woman. Now that we can see it in 3D, it's very obvious.

by Anonymousreply 1309/23/2013

Large and clear enough to see that the witch from the tornado was NOT from the East as she wasn't wearing the ruby slippers.

by Anonymousreply 1409/23/2013

Toto too

by Anonymousreply 1509/23/2013

Saw it this morning... 3-D was pretty amazing conversion for a movie from 1939. Had a great time. And I agree with a previous post, the 3-D was subtle and didn't pop out of you. really nice job.

Will GONE WITH THE WIND in IMAX 3-D be far behind?

by Anonymousreply 1609/27/2013

it's being held over a week although they've cut down the number of showings. I assume this is the policy everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 1709/27/2013

[quote]Says he saw things he never noticed before, and the sound was awesome.

I went with a friend, and we both said the same thing when the movie let out. Excellently done by the studio.

by Anonymousreply 1809/27/2013

[quote]When I started hearing "Over The Rainbow," I got embarrassed, thinking, "What the hell am I doing here." lol. It is pretty corny. Just play the tornado, Margaret Hamilton's shit on repeat, and the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion pieces, along with the Wizard scenes. The rest, dump it!

Please tell me that this was written by a 10 year old.

by Anonymousreply 1909/27/2013

Alert to NYC residents: after only having been shown at the smaller fake Imaxes at the city, it's now actually being shown at the real one at the Lincoln Square theatre at 68th St. - 11:45 a.m. shows only!

by Anonymousreply 2009/27/2013

The Movie In 3D IMAX , Was Amazing, They Reallty Did A Most Excellent Job. Some Scenes In The Movie, Actually Made Me Feel, I Was Watching A Live Play, Not A Movie. Glad I Went & Happy I Pre Ordered The 3D Blu Ray

by Anonymousreply 2109/27/2013

I saw it yesterday at an afternoon showing. I was the ONLY person in the huge IMAX theater. I really enjoyed it, and saw a lot of things I'd missed from only having watched on TV. And the 3D was well-done-- no things flying at you, just more depth and realism to the main characters.

Two complaints, however (and these may only pertain to the theater I attended): (1) The sound was slightly out of sync with the action. This was especially noticeable due to the extreme clarity of the picture and closeups of the performers mouths. (2) The top of the frame was cut off; mostly noticeable in the opening credits.

by Anonymousreply 2209/27/2013

Seeing it at Grauman's Chinese this Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 2309/27/2013

It's playing until 10/3 at several NYC theatres --but only once a day.

by Anonymousreply 2409/27/2013

one big thing I never noticed--famous story that Victor Fleming slapped Judy to stop a fit of the giggles due to Bert Lahr's comical tears after the slaps his nose-- that Judy very clearly was stifling a laugh after he says 'is my nose bleeding?' - little details like that really made this 3D a whole new experience, loved it!

by Anonymousreply 2509/27/2013

I saw this the other day - the first time I've seen the movie in many years.

3-D made the flowers in Munchkinland seem even more plastic/shiny/fake than I remembered them being.

And the painted backdrops seem more obvious now than before.

But somehow this gives the film a sort of surreal quality that makes it even more enjoyable than it was for me before. It's sort of comparable to Toto pulling back the curtain and revealing the man behind the curtain: It's not just fake, but it's REALLY FAKE, and that makes it all the more poignant.

I don't know if that makes sense, but I ended up enjoying the movie even more than in the past because of that.

And yeah I did see the trap door where the Wicked Witch comes and goes, but I was also amazed by the detail of the Scarecrow's make-up, or the way the rust appears on the Tin Man.

(And BTW, I loved the coming attraction for the next Hobbit film.)

One more thing . . .

I wonder what Vertigo would look like in 3-D.

by Anonymousreply 2609/27/2013

I couldnt believe how real Judy's dress looked, like you could reach out and touch it, and I noticed how truly small Margaret Hamilton was, running around in a few scenes, very petite, i was fascinated to notice a whole new view of the film, it went by so fast, like watching them all on stage, highly recommend it, especially if you grew up watching it on TV, it trigger incredible emotions even now

one special effects scene that was way better in 3D, when they're running on the long outdoor corridor that stretches in the witch's castle, that view from above before they get cornered by the guards, was incredible! they all looked so real and clear...

by Anonymousreply 2709/27/2013

One last thing . . .

I want to preface this by saying I'm no big lover of a lot of iconographic gay stuff, and I'm sure as hell no shoe whore . . .

But boy those ruby slippers looked fucking great in 3-D!

by Anonymousreply 2809/28/2013

Hey what nerve DL:

My "DELicately" didn't fit in the "by" line above!

by Anonymousreply 2909/28/2013

another detail-- didnt realize Miss Gulch had long hair pulled into a big bun under her hat-- the exact hairstyle the WWW had!

also, the vaudevillian skill and comic timing and talents of Bolger, Haley and Lahr really was exceptional, i mean they all make most of today's actors seem so mundane-- every second of their performances were top notch-- the talent put into this movie was unbelievable, i appreciated it in a whole new way because u can see every expression and quirk and characterization so clearly...

by Anonymousreply 3009/28/2013

For those that saw it in the IMAX theaters, was the entire audience gay males?

by Anonymousreply 3109/28/2013

the theatre was mixed, plenty of couples or groups of men and women, some senior citizens, certainly not gay only... i know my friend took her 5 year old daughter, who loves the movie and saw it on dvd of course many times...

by Anonymousreply 3209/28/2013

Since I was the only person in the theater, I can safely say that the audience at the showing I attended was 100% gay men.

by Anonymousreply 3309/28/2013

by the way, all week this movie was No. 4 at the box office, pretty amazing for being in so few theatres compared to other movies, higher ticket prices aside...

by Anonymousreply 3409/28/2013

Can GONE WITH THE WIND in IMAX 3-D be coming next?

by Anonymousreply 3509/29/2013

There were about 20 people in the theater when I saw it on Wednesday. Loved it. And, yes, I got to see details that I had never noticed before -- and I've seen this movie many, many, many times.

by Anonymousreply 3609/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.