Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Professional emails after midnight (Or on holidays).

Definitely a faux pas, yes?

I am an 9-5 hourly worker at a non-profit company and my pay is practically a charitable donation. I once received an email from a co-worker at 9pm on Christmas Eve ... Other times— she sends stuff late at night.

I only know this because my email is set up to notify me via a little desltop icon. Of course I don't respond till I'm on the clock, but it begs the question: When is definitely NOT ok to email your co-workers? Salary or not. There's a point when it makes YOU look bad, no?

by Anonymousreply 3409/21/2013

Wow you really sweat the details of life don't you? Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 109/20/2013

I email at every hour of th day. I NEVER expect a response until much later.

by Anonymousreply 209/20/2013

That is not the correct use of the term "beg the question."

by Anonymousreply 309/20/2013

R2 gets it: it's up to your co-worker if they want to work/email at odd times. Maybe they have good ideas then. It's only an issue if the company puts pressure on you to reply in your own time. Otherwise, not your problem.

Delete your little desktop notifier, so you won't be aware till you get to work ?

by Anonymousreply 409/20/2013

Unless your co-worker demanded that you respond immediately, I'm not sure what is your problem OP.

by Anonymousreply 509/20/2013

I had a client fire me because I did not respond to his email, sent at 9 am on Christmas morning.

He did me a favor.

by Anonymousreply 609/20/2013

I got negatively 360 reviewed by my staff for doing this, and I now put emails on a timer 7:30-7:30 only. Same quantity, just not beeping their phone at midnight and giving them anxiety attacks.

Pussies.

by Anonymousreply 809/20/2013

r2 is exactly right. I email anytime, often because when something occurs to me as needing to be done I want to get it accomplished rather than have it hanging over my head or run the risk of forgetting. That doesn't mean that I expect the recipient to get back to me quickly or on their downtime, much less on weekends or holidays. I don't. The fact that I'm taking that particular moment to communicate doesn't mean that they have to drop everything or run by my schedule. If there is a real emergency and something needs to be done right away even at a very inopportune time, then I would endeavor to get in touch by some means other than email, or, if that's not possible, explain in the email that unfortunately we both need to attend to something right away even though it is off hours.

by Anonymousreply 909/20/2013

OP is probably in line for the new iPhone right now. Good little sheep. Slave to your phone.

by Anonymousreply 1009/20/2013

Simple. If it's merely passing along information, fine; email at any time. If it suggests action or response --and especially if it could be construed as requiring the attention of subordinates-- send it within the range of decent working hours.

by Anonymousreply 1109/20/2013

R8, what do you use as a timer to send your emails? I like the idea because I do think sending emails in the wee hours makes you look bad professionally--looks like you procrastinate and/or take drugs.

by Anonymousreply 1209/20/2013

We can find someone who will accept those emails and do it for less, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1309/20/2013

What sort of idiot sets their phone to beep every time they get an email?

by Anonymousreply 1409/20/2013

Like you people don't snicker when you see that an email from a lonely office frau was sent was sent at 2 am on a holiday weekend.

by Anonymousreply 1509/20/2013

It amazes me OP that you are a member of the "modern economy" yet you would actually question when you can send emails. I receive and send work related emails at all hours of the day/weekend/holidays.

It's obviously up to the person when to respond. That's how things work.

by Anonymousreply 1609/20/2013

[quote] When is definitely NOT ok to email your co-workers

It's okay to email people at any time (except if they are in the hospital or something like that). Emailing isn't like calling someone on the phone and as long as she doesn't expect you to reply back on your own time this shouldn't be a problem

I do wonder about people who send these emails so late at night. Why are they working so late and on their own time?

by Anonymousreply 1709/20/2013

We have a dept director who does this, or used to. He goes into work mode during his insomnia binges at home, and will pump out five, ten emails at 2:30-3:00am. Finally the Senior VP told him to simmer down.

Do what R8 does, if you can't resist being an email-sending fiend between the hours of 7:30p-7:30a. Everyone is trying to manage their tech gadgetry and taking different approaches to this ongoing challenge, and if you hit Send at a late hour (or ungodly early hour), you don't know who you might be pissing off or stressing out unnecesessarily.

by Anonymousreply 1809/20/2013

When a message is sent has no connection to when it receives a reply. OP can prevent the stress by not opening mail from colleagues until 9:00AM.

by Anonymousreply 1909/20/2013

Nobody with a professional job in 2013 would ever do that R20, because his or her phone would be rattling non-stop.

by Anonymousreply 2109/20/2013

I mean even in the 90s I used to get 100 emails a day in an unimportant little office job. I cannot even imagine having my phone jumping around like popcorn on a hotplate all day.

by Anonymousreply 2209/20/2013

R21: THAT'S THE POINT OF THE THREAD.

by Anonymousreply 2309/20/2013

[quote]What sort of idiot sets their phone to beep every time they get an email?

I do. Well, it's set to vibrate, with different vibration patters for personal and work email accounts. I don't mind getting emails at all after hours, as long as I know I'm not obliged to respond immediately. I like knowing what to expect before I start my workday.

I have a friend who seems to think text messages are like instant messages and require an instant reply. Yesterday he got a little testy when I texted him mid-morning. He answered that he'd think about the issue later that night, because "I'm on a deadline today!" Jesus, Mary, calm down.

by Anonymousreply 2409/20/2013

[quote]I mean even in the 90s I used to get 100 emails a day in an unimportant little office job.

Are you aware that everyone is not you?

I get about 20 work emails a day, tops. Most are sent M-F, 9-5. YMMV.

by Anonymousreply 2509/20/2013

No offense but I am guessing you don't have a "white collar" r25, lots of emails at all hours is the way it works.

by Anonymousreply 2609/20/2013

[quote]I have a friend who seems to think text messages are like instant messages and require an instant reply. Yesterday he got a little testy when I texted him mid-morning. He answered that he'd think about the issue later that night, because "I'm on a deadline today!" Jesus, Mary, calm down.

Isn't it sort of true, though? I mean, if you just want to hear back from the person in the next 1-2 days, wouldn't you email rather than text? I do regard a text message as something that is meant for real-time interaction (either to ask me a question in the here and now, or to tell me something in the here and now).

by Anonymousreply 2709/20/2013

[quote]No offense but I am guessing you don't have a "white collar" [R25], lots of emails at all hours is the way it works.

You're an idiot, do you know that? I'm shocked anyone as dumb and presumptuous as you holds down any job at all.

WTF, do you think I'm getting 20 emails a day about my job breaking rocks??? You're a tool.

by Anonymousreply 2809/20/2013

Threads like this prove many DLers are elderly and haven't held a job in decades.

by Anonymousreply 2909/20/2013

This from an OP sitting there at 1:26 am.

by Anonymousreply 3009/21/2013

[quote]I am an 9-5 hourly worker at a non-profit company and my pay is practically a charitable donation.

Hourly worker at a non-profit. You are most DEFINITELY excused from ANY obligation to return emails outside of normal work hours. Seriously. You shouldn't be sweating this bullshit for a nanosecond.

As for the bitchfest about getting instant email notifications: this shit started with the proliferation of BlackBerrys and should've died out two or three years ago when BlackBerrys started to die out. It really is NOT normal to get "push" emails that alert you the instant they arrive, unless you're a doctor on call or have an *actual* emergency to deal with. Regardless of whatever type of job you have, it is completely pathetic to allow yourself to be a slave to a fucking PIECE OF ELECTRONICS. It's even more pathetic if you're subconsciously doing it because it makes you somehow feel "important" that somebody "needs" you at all hours of the day and night.

Advice: PUT DOWN THE SMARTPHONE, have a lovely dinner with your SO or friends, catch a flick, and *maybe* flip through your messages right before bed -- WITHOUT responding to ANY of them until the next morning.

by Anonymousreply 3109/21/2013

R31 is mostly correct, but is clearly 1,000 years old and does not understand what it is like to have a job in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 3209/21/2013

OK, I am no apologist for technology in communications, because I have seen quality, consistency and responsiveness decrease since the decline of hard-copy and telephoned communications in business.

But I believe the issue here is people confusing the act of sending an email with the expectation of an immediate response. I may write a letter at 2 am, but you wouldn't know that because of the delivery system involved. With an email, I may prepare a message, and the system has built-in rapid delivery with a time stamp as part of the package. So?

I work for myself in a field where I am dealing with people all over the world, and some are up and some are down, some are up in the middle of the night and want to receive and respond, and others are asleep. I wouldn't want anyone to be bothered by my timing in sending things. The responsiveness that is appropriate is built into the work setting involved - and, as noted, responsiveness has decreased in quality, generally. And those are the people I don't maintain as business contacts.

So for me it comes down to the OP being a controller and wanting people to do things according to her demands for reasons that are false. NO ONE expects a response out of work hours unless that is a given in the relationship and circumstances. And the fact that you have an email sitting in your inbox is not a cause for complaint. In fact, the act of complaining is a sure sign of a disorder.

by Anonymousreply 3309/21/2013

You said professional emails and then said you work for a non profit. Make up your fucking mind and repost the question.

by Anonymousreply 3409/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.