Since 1995

Lorde and her song Royals

Is it passe?

by I still like it.reply 9104/03/2014

Merci

by I still like it.reply 109/19/2013

I think her new album is genius

by I still like it.reply 209/30/2013

Why are the hipster press giving her such grieve over some stupid accusation of racism yet hype up homophobic rap? I thought hipster where suppose to be liberals.

by I still like it.reply 310/18/2013

OP, do you know what passé actually means?

by I still like it.reply 410/18/2013

I love this song but I can't figure out what it's about. Class differences? Drug use? Violent sex?

Anyone? Catchy tune, great voice, but the lyrics are like "WTF??"

by I still like it.reply 610/18/2013

I never liked it. She looks like a creepy troll when she performs. She's pretentious and nothing special.

by I still like it.reply 710/18/2013

It's about how most young people can no longer relate to the ostentatious wealth in Hip-Hop and R'n'B music.

by I still like it.reply 810/18/2013

For some reason, the song reminds me of Gossip Girl way too much. I don't know why--maybe the lyric about being queen bee. Anyways, that show sucked and that's why I don't like the song.

by I still like it.reply 910/18/2013

[Verse 1] I've never seen a diamond in the flesh I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies And I'm not proud of my address, In a torn-up town, no postcode envy

But every song's like gold teeth, grey goose, trippin' in the bathroom Blood stains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room, We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams. But everybody's like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece. Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash. We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair.

And we'll never be royals (royals). It don't run in our blood, That kind of luxe just ain't for us. We crave a different kind of buzz. Let me be your ruler (ruler), You can call me queen Bee And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule. Let me live that fantasy.

[Verse 2] My friends and I—we've cracked the code. We count our dollars on the train to the party. And everyone who knows us knows that we're fine with this, We didn't come for money.

But every song's like gold teeth, grey goose, trippin' in the bathroom. Blood stains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room, We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams. But everybody's like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece. Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair

And we'll never be royals (royals). It don't run in our blood That kind of luxe just ain't for us. We crave a different kind of buzz. Let me be your ruler (ruler), You can call me queen Bee And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule. Let me live that fantasy.

Ooh ooh oh We're bigger than we ever dreamed, And I'm in love with being queen. Ooh ooh oh Life is great without a care We aren't caught up in your love affair.

And we'll never be royals (royals). It don't run in our blood That kind of luxe just ain't for us. We crave a different kind of buzz Let me be your ruler (ruler), You can call me queen Bee And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule. Let me live that fantasy.

by I still like it.reply 1010/18/2013

Her Billboard success is conclusive proof that hipsterism has reached critical mass of mainstream and will begin to decline soon.

by I still like it.reply 1110/18/2013

Actually r11, the hipster hate it, they are calling it racist. The hipsters love R'n'B and Rap.

by I still like it.reply 1210/18/2013

R12, the hipsters only hate it because it's now mainstream. And they only call it racist because they can't find anything else wrong wit it, given that the hipsters are probably one of the most race and class conscious groups there are.

by I still like it.reply 1310/18/2013

I was on Sufan Stevens self tilted ghetto blog yesterday, he who is king of Hipsters, and he was practically shilling for Miley and Justin Biber.

I hate hipsters.

by I still like it.reply 1410/18/2013

Sufjan is such a disappointment. I liked his older music but he took a wrong turn somewhere and became insufferable. Still would do him though.

by I still like it.reply 1510/18/2013

I didn't like her voice or the song, but the lyrics are interesting.

by I still like it.reply 1610/18/2013

Nonsensical. People are out of ideas because it's all been said a million times before.

Kurt Cobain is the one who ushered in songs that don't mean anything. You just take cool sentences out of your journal, snip them up and toss them into the air. Reassembling them together into "songs".

by I still like it.reply 1710/18/2013

Here's a cover for those who don't like her voice. It's by the Warrin' Sugababes.

by I still like it.reply 1810/18/2013

So true, R17. I wish the song was as creative and as innovative as the hype makes it out to be. It sounds like something I've heard a million times before. And I can't say that I'm in love with her voice, either.

by I still like it.reply 1910/18/2013

I love this song because of the clever lyrics and the choral elements. I especially love the part where the chorus sings "I rule, I rule, I rule...." it has the sound of pretty dogs howling. Amazing Lorde is only 16. She is very talented.

by I still like it.reply 2010/18/2013

Can someone give me the Cliff Notes on the racism thing?

by I still like it.reply 2110/18/2013

I've finally heard the song and it didn't live up to the hype. Very average.

by I still like it.reply 2210/18/2013

Here's a link to an article on the African-American blog The Grio about the racism controversy. The article seems to defend Lorde.

[quote]The feminist writer Veronica Bayetti Flores, who writes for the blog Feministing, believes the following Lorde lyrics are “deeply racist”... In her post, Flores, who is not African-American, slams Lorde, (whose real name is Ella Yelich-O’Connor), for using the song to criticize black and hip-hop culture. “While I love a good critique of wealth accumulation and inequity, this song is not one; in fact, it is deeply racist,” writes Bayetti Flores. “Because we all know who she’s thinking when we’re talking gold teeth, Cristal (champagne) and Maybachs. So why sh*t on black folks? Why sh*t on rappers?”

[quote]Flores should take a step back in her critique of a New Zealand teenager who’s grown up in the current hip-pop space. Old stereotypes of black people singularly talking about “bling” and rims are no longer relevant. It’s a pointless discussion that has no place when hip-hop culture comes in all shades.

Is Lorde’s chart-topping single ‘Royals’ racist?

by I still like it.reply 2310/18/2013

It's not racist ("tigers on a gold leash" conjures the image of Lana del Ray), and it is not nonsensical. If you think the lyrics are nonsensical, then you're a little dim...

by I still like it.reply 2410/18/2013

There are some angry people out there who can (and will) find racism in anything.

by I still like it.reply 2510/18/2013

R17 is 700,000 years old.

by I still like it.reply 2610/19/2013

Veronica Bayetti Flores who only listens to her local hip-hop radio, has never once condemned rap for being anti-gay and sexist, odd.

by I still like it.reply 2710/19/2013

Is Sufjan straight, he seemed hot for Miley.

by I still like it.reply 2810/19/2013

She's a teenage girl from the Auckland suburbs singing about being in the middle of nowhere and not able to relate to what she hears on the radio. Nothing more, nothing less. For what it is, it's very good.

Those expecting some deeper meaning that that on the one hand or projecting some larger, racial context, are both full of shit.

by I still like it.reply 2910/19/2013

I think it's jejune.

by I still like it.reply 3010/19/2013

Eet would be more byooteeful et dramatique if sung wees an out-RUH-juss Frunssh accent!

by I still like it.reply 3110/19/2013

I hate the way hipster cum all over R'n'B and Rap, you can't walk though Brooklyn on a Thursday or Friday night without hearing about 20 insufferable hipster bands do a woefully earnest version of Blurred Lines.

by I still like it.reply 3210/19/2013

R20 I like it for the same reasons. The harmonies are nice too. The accusations of racism are silly and reaching. If you look at the lyrics as a whole, she's addressing media representations of wealth/fantasy "I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies" and not just focused on ostentatious imagery in hip hop. It's quite apropos of the times when you look at the media as a whole (Kardashians, Sex and the City, etc).

by I still like it.reply 3310/19/2013

I can't stand this girl's voice. I hate her tone and the chorus is so sharp. Very unpleasant to the ear. The lyrics are fine though.

by I still like it.reply 3410/19/2013

Then check out the Sugababes cover I linked earlier in the thread.

by I still like it.reply 3510/19/2013

I just discovered her first EP the other day and completely love the songs on it... but I'd like to know how much of her work is her own and how much of this is studio manufactured a la Lana Del Rey.

by I still like it.reply 3610/27/2013

How can anyone think this girl has a good voice?

by I still like it.reply 3710/27/2013

I love the cover that R18 posted, but that's Mutya Keisha Siobhan, not Sugababes. They can't use the name "Sugababes" because the record label owns the name and supposedly the current lineup (fronted by that skag Heidi) is still together.

by I still like it.reply 3810/27/2013

Very good song. I think the blogger who started screaming about the racism is off base and has been refuted by the song's remixes by Rick Ross and The Weeknd. Ridiculous controversy.

Plus the Kiwis *love* black music, porbably due to the Polynesian and Maori influence there. The cultures seamless mingle with the white/Euro population, much more so than the Aborigines did in Australia.

by I still like it.reply 3910/27/2013

[quote]Because we all know who she’s thinking when we’re talking gold teeth, Cristal (champagne) and Maybachs.

Do we? The listener has to make that jump about who she's talking about. A specific rapper perhaps, a specific type of rapper, maybe even rap in general, but Black people across the board? No way.

[quote]sh*t on black folks

Rappers are above reproach because they're black? To point out that some rap is overly materialistic is the same as shitting on all black people?! That is a racist construction imho.

by I still like it.reply 4010/27/2013

[quote]we’re talking gold teeth, Cristal (champagne) and Maybachs.

Romanians? French? Germans?

You're a fucking idiot.

by I still like it.reply 4110/27/2013

There was always going to be a point when bling and its stars would being to lose its luster.

by I still like it.reply 4210/27/2013

I think people are getting tired of the whole Rihnna, Miley pop tart whore thing too. The Britney video for work bitch is just ridiculously over the top.

by I still like it.reply 4310/27/2013

"Sexpot" is perennial. That's why so many go down that route.

by I still like it.reply 4410/27/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by I still like it.reply 4510/27/2013

It is, R40, but I wonder how often you argue on the other side.

by I still like it.reply 4610/27/2013

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I don't like this song much, although I admit it's catchy. Her voice sounds like a singer from the 90s but I can't think who...it grates.

Liked earlier in the thread the idea of the "fall of hipsterism" - is that where we are at? You know, the 50s saw the youth movement then the sexual revolution followed. What is it today in society and pop culture?

by I still like it.reply 4711/19/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by I still like it.reply 4811/19/2013

[quote]Kurt Cobain is the one who ushered in songs that don't mean anything. You just take cool sentences out of your journal, snip them up and toss them into the air. Reassembling them together into "songs".

Ahem, I beg to differ.

by I still like it.reply 4911/19/2013

There's a lot of Grammy-buzz surrounding her right now. Her album has better reviews than most of the bigger names. "Royals" has been at #1 for 7 weeks now. I don't know about you, but I'd rather see her win Record or Song of the Year instead of Robin Thicke, Daft Punk, or Timberfake.

by I still like it.reply 5011/19/2013

Listen to the 2nd single that will impact radio over the next few weeks, "Team." I think it's 10x better than Royals. Should stop her from being a one-hit wonder.

by I still like it.reply 5111/19/2013

If you haven't, give the album a listen. It is really fantastic all the way through.

by I still like it.reply 5211/19/2013

With the Katy Perrys and Keshas and Lana del Reys out there, how can you say she doesn't have a good voice? She has a very good voice. It's full and textured and mature, not tiny, tinny, off-pitch screeching and whining.

by I still like it.reply 5311/19/2013

R53,

Lana Dell rey's lyrics are great and poetic, and you really can't group her with Katy Perry and such.

by I still like it.reply 5411/19/2013

Well, I've never heard of her or her song. I no longer follow the pop music scene but were she anyone of note she would have seeped into the national zeitgeist one way or another. As described I take it she's this seasons Avril Lavigne?

by I still like it.reply 5511/19/2013

Hell, even my 51 yo brother bought the damn song. It's definitely part of the zeitgeist right now.

by I still like it.reply 5611/19/2013

R54, I was specifically talking about vocals. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

by I still like it.reply 5711/19/2013

I really like it. The first time I heard it it made me laugh because I could totally identify with it.

To me, the lyrics are about NOT being into the materialistic things even though that's all you see in popular culture.

IMO, it's trashing the "bling" culture of the Kartrashians, reality TV, rappers, whores, hell even the fucking gold-digging Russians.

by I still like it.reply 5811/19/2013

by I still like it.reply 5911/19/2013

The idea of suggesting someone who lives Auckland, NZ is incredibly racist is absurd.

by I still like it.reply 6011/20/2013

R53 none of them have good voices. Lorde has an ugly tone and parts of "Royals" are VERY unpleasant and pitchy.

by I still like it.reply 6111/20/2013

R38, I presume that's why r18 called them the Warrin' Sugababes and not just the Sugababes.

R54 made me laugh!

This song is ok, it's not brilliant but for contemporary pop it's not bad, better than most of the other shit out there so on the whole it's positive that it's risen to the top.

R55, Avril Lavigne is back! She's rooting to be this season's Avril Lavigne. Although, I think Lorde wants to be a bit more "meaningful" than a skater girl.

by I still like it.reply 6211/20/2013

R29 is totally right.

by I still like it.reply 6311/20/2013

I think she's tremendous.

by I still like it.reply 6411/20/2013

I don't know what to make of it. When it comes on the radio I find myself listening intently to the lyrics and thinking about them a lot. I think it different to a lot of other singles released lately by both male and female singers.

by I still like it.reply 6511/20/2013

It's better than most pop out there, for what it is, it's much better than Miley.

I mean she is not PJ Harvey, but it's a good pop songs that's cuts its way above the horrible fray of woefully bad r'n'bling that pollutes most of music.

by I still like it.reply 6611/20/2013

Just looked her up. Wow she looks way older than 17. What is with 17 year old girls today looking like 30 years olds.

by I still like it.reply 6711/20/2013

I love her music. It's different, it's interesting, if you don't get the lyrics then I guess you aren't her target market.

OP, please look up the definition of passe.

by I still like it.reply 6811/20/2013

It's a catchy song but I'm beyond sick of hearing it now.

And r29 is right on.

by I still like it.reply 6911/20/2013

The song has been radio raped. I liked it at first, but I can't stand it anymore. Overplayed.

by I still like it.reply 7011/20/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by I still like it.reply 7111/20/2013

[17] It was David Bowie who started that in the early 70s, he used William Burroughs' cut-up technique (Burroughs wrote 'The Soft Machine' that way).

By the way: Who says that art needs to have a 'literal' meaning, ever heard of Symbolism, Surrealism, etc. ?

by I still like it.reply 7211/20/2013

She's doing better than Gaga....

by I still like it.reply 7311/20/2013

For R17:

How to Make a Dadaist Poem by Tristan Tzara

To make a Dadaist poem: Take a newspaper. Take a pair of scissors. Choose an article as long as you are planning to make your poem. Cut out the article. Then cut out each of the words that make up this article and put them in a bag. Shake it gently. Then take out the scraps one after the other in the order in which they left the bag. Copy conscientiously. The poem will be like you. And here are you a writer, infinitely original and endowed with a sensibility that is charming though beyond the understanding of the vulgar.

This was written in 1920.

by I still like it.reply 7411/20/2013

Tried to have Tennis Court and Team, her next single, a listen to as well. I just can't. It all sound very similar, the beats aren't great, and the lyrics are just good, bordering pretentious. No shade at Lorde, but definitely but for me. Whichever blind item that referred to her as a troubled genius like Amy Winehouse very much missed the mark.

by I still like it.reply 7511/20/2013

Have you heard her slaughtering 'Everybody wants to rule the world'? SOOOO BAAADDDDD!@!

by I still like it.reply 7611/20/2013

Yes I have, R76, and her version is indeed atrocious!

by I still like it.reply 7711/20/2013

[quote] woefully bad r'n'bling that pollutes most of music

R&B hasn't been at the forefront of pop music for years.

by I still like it.reply 7811/20/2013

I love the song. And the album is actually quite strong.

And of course it's overplayed. That's what radio does. Don't blame Lorde for that.

by I still like it.reply 7911/20/2013

What's the significance of her name?

She kind of looks the like the ginge from Girls Aloud.

by I still like it.reply 8011/20/2013

I love the song and am excited about what Lorde has to offer in the coming years. I hope she doesn't try to "go Miley" on us or start dating Justin Beiber or something...

When I heard this song I downloaded it from iTunes immediately. When it was warm outside I would sit on my patio, smoke a little weed, and enjoy it loud on my headphones.

When a song always ends too quickly for me I know it's a good one. I do like Tennis Court and Team. Her lyrics are spare and evocative. Reminds me of Mona Simpson's writing for some reason.

by I still like it.reply 8111/20/2013

by I still like it.reply 8211/20/2013

[r82] needs to be flagged for juvenile tastes. PJ Harvey is right up there with Bjork and Tori Amos as far as being the premiere female artists of their generation.

by I still like it.reply 8311/20/2013

by I still like it.reply 8411/20/2013

That song is horrid. It sounds like something 98 Degrees or Backstreet Boys would have done. Pitiful, watered down hip-hop shit. The worst song I have heard since "My Humps."

by I still like it.reply 8511/22/2013

1. It just shows you what a unique talent Kate Bush is. She wrote Wuthering Heights at 16 years old.

2. Lorde is a far better role model for teenage girls than a skank like Miley.

by I still like it.reply 8603/23/2014

The song is boring, I always flipped the station because it just plods on without generating any excitement. I don't think we're going to hear much more from her.

by I still like it.reply 8703/23/2014

I love her music and her lyrics really ring true.

by I still like it.reply 8803/23/2014

Her lyrics can be fun and thought-provoking and clearly she doesn't have her nose stapled to her forehead. But, her vocals are pretty crappy. She should have stuck to songwriting and let a vocalist or even a singer use their vocal chops because she has very little which is why her songs are mostly talking.

I hadn't even heard Royals until the run up to the Grammys and I only saw her face for the first time during the promotion. Then, I saw her perform at the Grammys. Talk about false advertising. She looks 10 years older than the airbrushed version I'd seen.

Team and Glory and Gore are far better songs. It ain't bad considering she's only 17.

by I still like it.reply 8903/24/2014

It was hatred at first listening.

by I still like it.reply 9003/24/2014

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? It does not believe what it posts. It just craves attention. You might want to stop talking to it.]

by I still like it.reply 9104/03/2014
Need more help? Click Here.