Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is there such a thing as a Canadian upper class?

You know people who belong to country clubs and eat finger sandwiches?

by Anonymousreply 2809/21/2013

Yes, and here's where many of them got their start:

by Anonymousreply 109/19/2013

Of course. There are some very wealthy families in Canada if that is what you mean.

by Anonymousreply 209/19/2013

Definitely but like everything in this country past the 60s, it is a mean, meagre version of upper class.

I'd say Christopher Plummer is the last example of Canadian blue blood.

And no, I am not old or white before anyone accuses me of being a bitter old racist yearning for some glorious bygone days.

by Anonymousreply 309/19/2013

There are always a few blue blood families in current or former colonies, now commonwealth countries or what have you. Especially in the Dominions. Tons of wealthy white Zims, South Africans, Aussies, et al.

by Anonymousreply 409/19/2013

I am Canadian, mostly proud. The colonial upper class is in the eastern provinces - they have nice ladies who plan for the next visit of a royal. They know their ancestry.

There is always a moneyed media upper class - it was once famously Conrad Black and Garth Drabinski, both who ended in prison.

I am sure there is an elite in Toronto banking circles, and some very well known cosmetic surgeons and less know arms dealers.

Quebec has it's crustier class, among the most interesting. Bikers and politicos and some fine old world mafioso. There is of course a French Canadian aristocracy, but they are not upper class in the usual way.

The upper class in Canada still tends to be more artistic. Money flows in Alberta, and the commercial arts and international business come to Vancouver, but these are not cultured populaces. We are not classless, but I don't think the rich are the upper class here. The National Ballet directors and principle dancers are still revered. The South American born charity ladies have a small but sure cache.

The Seagrams trump Trump, but an author is still the most revered guest.

by Anonymousreply 509/19/2013

Yes. They're called Americans.

by Anonymousreply 609/19/2013

[quote]Conrad Black and Garth Drabinski,

Neither were that moneyed, nor certainly upper class.

by Anonymousreply 709/19/2013

Justin Bieber is the upper class in Canada. The very top. Blue blood.

by Anonymousreply 809/19/2013

Joni, motherfucker

by Anonymousreply 909/19/2013

Read my post you moron r7. If you are familiar with the true small snob blue blooded rich elite of Canada, then say so and name names.

I stated that such people are not the kings of Canadian society or a large part of Canadian culture or notoriety. Thankfully. Surely you are an American and one day soon your bourgeois conceits will overtake my best attempt to answer OP's question.

by Anonymousreply 1009/19/2013

The Frums

by Anonymousreply 1109/19/2013

They are just as frequent as cultured hillbillies.

by Anonymousreply 1209/19/2013

R10, I tried to re-read your post, but I dozed off.

To answer your question:

Bronfmans (or as you mistakenly call them "The Seagrams. . .who's the moron?) Thomsons Eatons Rogers Molsons Labatt (really just Arthur now) Torys

by Anonymousreply 1309/20/2013

People who say "a-boot" for "about" cannot be possibly upper-class.

by Anonymousreply 1409/20/2013

Meet the Eatons.

by Anonymousreply 1509/20/2013

Those are the old family names, obviously. Mme Desmarais, while first generation rich, sits on the board of the Met, and funds opera education throughout Canada, including personally subsidizing Live from the Met at cinemas throughout the country.

by Anonymousreply 1609/20/2013

Thanks for reading Vanity Fair and naming names. You are of course correct in a Googley sort of way. You are not Canadian however.

by Anonymousreply 1709/20/2013

Very high class beaver fuckers

by Anonymousreply 1809/20/2013

The Bronfmans helped the CIA intervene in US domestic affairs.

by Anonymousreply 1909/20/2013

In 1980 it was Canada that had a rich privileged criminal upper class and less of a middle class. We've switched positions thanks to idiot conservative policies in this country and more enlightened policies in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 2009/20/2013

Is that true, R19? Linky?

by Anonymousreply 2109/20/2013

Don't they live in Oakdale?

by Anonymousreply 2209/20/2013

Yes. They are season ticket holders at Leafs games.

by Anonymousreply 2309/20/2013

My son Tarquin dated a Canadian girl once. She was very sweet. Her name was Suet or something like that.

I had to gently remind Tarquin that because she was Canadian she was NOKD.

by Anonymousreply 2409/20/2013

Upper class Canadians are all those who don't live in Newfoundland.

by Anonymousreply 2509/20/2013

Er, R24/Mrs. Pepperidge, the really hoity toity say, "NOCD"

by Anonymousreply 2609/20/2013

Of course you are correct, as always, r26.

by Anonymousreply 2709/20/2013

No, R22.

by Anonymousreply 2809/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!