Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Applebee's called police on family and threw them out of restaurant because their kids were 'too active'

A couple said they are 'heartbroken' after staff at Applebee's called police on them because their children were being too active, it emerged today. Eli Gau and his wife Lillian Maliti admit their sons Ryan, three, and Ethan, one, can be a handful at times but nothing that would warrant being asked to leave a 'family-friendly' restaurant.

On Sunday night the family of four went to an Applebee's restaurant in Katy, Texas, for dinner. Everything seemed normal until Ryan wandered away from the table, as children sometimes do. Mr Gau told KHOU 11News: 'They're kind of active. They act like children. They're not adults. 'I went and grabbed him, and as I was grabbing him and coming back, the manager was walking to me.' The manager said his children were making too much noise and told them to leave. He had already called the authorities, who were waiting for them outside the restaurant.Mrs Maliti told KHOU 11 she was stunned.'I feel disrespected,' she said. 'This has never happened in my life.' The restaurant markets itself on its website as 'a prominent eatery [that] draws people of all ages and lifestyles with its fun, family-friendly atmosphere and signature bar and grill menu.'

An Applebee’s spokesperson apologized profusely for the incident and said the management team had mishandled the situation. The family were invited back to the restaurant and given free dinner passes but Mr Gau said they would be taking their business elsewhere. 'I feel heartbroken, very sad,' he said. The Harris County Sheriff's Deputy gave them a notice warning them for criminal trespassing.

by Anonymousreply 9409/21/2013

GOOD! FUCK CHILLDREN!

by Anonymousreply 109/19/2013

W&W for R1

by Anonymousreply 209/19/2013

I love kids. However, in my family kids were taken to restaurants if and when they were able to behave. I understand that sometimes kids will be a bit boisterous, but people should not be subjected to loud and bratty behavior.

by Anonymousreply 309/19/2013

Why are your kids running around the restaurant alone?

by Anonymousreply 409/19/2013

Children should be beaten like gongs.

by Anonymousreply 509/19/2013

R1 We Love You

by Anonymousreply 609/19/2013

People let their kids run wild in restaurants, movie theaters, all kinds of places today.

I say stick a foot out and trip the little shits.

Combine this thread with the one about the dumbing down of Americans and our culture becoming more crass. Everything that used to be an adults only dress nice kind of thing is sweat pants and rug rats these days.

And the parents are doing a disservice to the kids. The kids are learning poor behavior and no discipline. This carries over into the rest of their life and suddenly they have ADHD and need drugs. All for the parents' selfish desire to go out more.

by Anonymousreply 709/19/2013

[quote]The family were invited back to the restaurant and given free dinner passes but Mr Gau said they would be taking their business elsewhere

He then added, I feel we have a better chance of suing them if we don't accept their offer.

by Anonymousreply 809/19/2013

I can just picture the couple letting the kids run amok while they enjoy their dinner. Meanwhile, the other diners have to deal with bratty kids. I've seen it too many times. People take their kids out and expect the wait staff and strangers to be the babysitters.

by Anonymousreply 909/19/2013

Good for Applebee's (wow, that was hard to type), except they never should have apologized. Restaurants and theaters need to have firm policies about this kind of shit. If the parents can't discipline their brats, give them one verbal warning and then toss the whole lot of them out if the behavior continues.

by Anonymousreply 1009/19/2013

Let them wander out the front door. Let a stranger take them.

Some dumb bitch in Spain (from the U.S.) put the baby down on the baggage conveyor belt 'just for a second' at the airport and it got crushed. WTF is wrong with people.

by Anonymousreply 1109/19/2013

How can this be a story from Texas? No one seems to have shot anybody.

by Anonymousreply 1209/19/2013

There's another thread from today against a backlash against a restaurant that posted a No Loud Kids sign.

Shit, I'd eat at that place morning noon and night to support them.

by Anonymousreply 1309/19/2013

Children should not be permitted in fine dining establishments.

by Anonymousreply 1409/19/2013

[quote]An Applebee’s spokesperson apologized profusely for the incident and said the management team had mishandled the situation.

No they didn't!

by Anonymousreply 1509/19/2013

stores and restaurants apologize way too easily. it would be awesome to see them call a press conference and then slap the parents on live TV or something.

by Anonymousreply 1609/19/2013

[quote] The family were invited back to the restaurant and given free dinner passes but Mr Gau said they would be taking their business elsewhere.

Yee Hah!

by Anonymousreply 1709/19/2013

Missing info somewhere

by Anonymousreply 1809/19/2013

I like to go to the movies, because I can run up and down the aisles...and then, I can call my Mama, and SHE gets to run up and down the aisles!

by Anonymousreply 1909/19/2013

"The kids are learning poor behavior and no discipline. This carries over into the rest of their life and suddenly they have ADHD and need drugs"

poor behavior and no discipline is OK now. It's ok to be an undisciplined lunatic with special needs like ADHD. The schools have more kids with ADHD who are in BD classes than normal kids much less gifted kids.

The only problem is it becomes a burden on society beginning with these future losers making life a bitch for nonlosers now.

by Anonymousreply 2009/19/2013

[quote]Everything seemed normal until Ryan wandered away from the table, as children sometimes do.

I never did this as a child and don't remember anyone who did. We had to ask to be excused from the table at home or in public, and we certainly weren't allowed to roam free in public. WTF is wrong with parents today?

by Anonymousreply 2109/19/2013

"I feel disrespected" is the dead giveaway here. She was probably treated like a little princess all her life who was allowed to do anything and was never criticized, so naturally her kids are getting the same treatment.

by Anonymousreply 2209/19/2013

Some parents treat public spaces like an extension of their romper room.

by Anonymousreply 2309/19/2013

If your kid wanders away from the table, then you're a fucking shitty parent who has lost control of their own kids.

Stop trying to be their goddamned friend and be their fucking parent.

by Anonymousreply 2409/19/2013

[quote]"I feel disrespected"

"Disrespected" is the mantra of ignorant trailer trash. That's the only place you'll hear it on a regular basis.

These people who let their brats run around like monkeys in a zoo have no respect for others, but say one word to them and they'll claim they're being "disrespected."

by Anonymousreply 2509/19/2013

w&w @ r25

by Anonymousreply 2609/19/2013

Wow, I give Applebee's credit for the restraint. Being Texas and all, I assume they would have just shot the kids.

by Anonymousreply 2709/19/2013

Who the hell allows their kids to "wander away from the table?" That's just ridiculous. Parents need to learn that NO ONE thinks that their kids are as adorable as they do and should make them behave in public.

by Anonymousreply 2809/19/2013

I grew up in the 70s and I can assure you, we were taught very early that when you are out in public or in other people's homes, you behave in a certain way. That did not include wandering away from the table without our parents noticing, or running around screaming like brats. We only would've done that ONCE!

by Anonymousreply 2909/19/2013

Don't be dumb, R27. It's Texas, not Florida.

by Anonymousreply 3009/19/2013

Oh noes, "disrespected." A fate worse than death. Just wait until they get older, babes.

by Anonymousreply 3109/19/2013

[quote] stores and restaurants apologize way too easily

They do. But this Applebee's didn't apologize. They actually had them served with a trespass warrant, which means they can't come back to that location with out being arrested.

The corporate office apologized.

There is more to this. The family isn't telling the whole truth. It takes a lot for a restaurant - especially a chain restaurant to throw a family out. It has to go to a whole other level for the restaurant to call the police. That makes me think there must have been a gigantic fight and the family refused to leave. When the mother said "this has never happened to me in my life". I kind of got the impression she meant "yeah I've gotten into confrontations at businesses, but none of those businesses has ever called the cops"

by Anonymousreply 3209/20/2013

Calling the fucking COPS over this? How does a kid being a brat in a restaurant warrant becoming a police matter? Was a 3-year-old really that threatening?

Disclaimer: I have no kids, I don't particularly like kids, and I avoid them where possible. Which is one of the reasons I don't go the fuck to Applebee's.

I'm far more repulsed by the idea that people are such passive-aggressive ninnies they applaud the use of police in this pathetic instance than by the idiot parents.

by Anonymousreply 3409/20/2013

It's probably more the parents that resulted in the cops being needed.

by Anonymousreply 3509/20/2013

Nothing in the article suggests that the parents did anything remotely criminal.

by Anonymousreply 3609/20/2013

Thank you, R34. And are customers going to start calling the police if they are dissatisfied with their entrees?

by Anonymousreply 3709/20/2013

[quote]Calling the fucking COPS over this? How does a kid being a brat in a restaurant warrant becoming a police matter? Was a 3-year-old really that threatening?

Could you possibly comprehend that they called the cops due to attitude projected by the parents of the brats? No, that would never occur to you.

It's possible that the presence of the police kept the trailer trash parents in line while they were being told to leave. People who think they're being "disrespected" don't always react calmly to a situation.

by Anonymousreply 3809/20/2013

Shouldn't a three-year old be in a highchair still? How's it getting out of its restraints, climbing down, then running about without a parent grabbing the kid before he runs into someone? If the child had run into a server causing him/her.to drop their full platter, would the parents pick up the tab for that?

by Anonymousreply 3909/20/2013

R34 is quite dumb.

by Anonymousreply 4009/20/2013

Whatever, if you're "night out" in life is going to an Applebee's in Texas, you get what you deserve.

by Anonymousreply 4109/20/2013

[quote]Who the hell allows their kids to "wander away from the table?" That's just ridiculous

Then, when their kids are kidnapped, its all "I just can't believe what kind of a wold we live in" and laws and rules have to be enacted because they can't parent.

by Anonymousreply 4209/20/2013

If your grammar and spelling are as good as you posted in R41, you get what you deserve.

Next thing you know, you'll be saying "they disrespected" about the parents.

by Anonymousreply 4309/20/2013

[quote]"I feel disrespected" is the dead giveaway here.

It's a dead giveaway that she's black.

by Anonymousreply 4409/20/2013

So they take these active kids ages 1 and 3 out to a restaurant after 9pm and let them run around?

Sounds like some fine parents there.

by Anonymousreply 4509/20/2013

R34 has it right. I can understand calling the cops if there's a part of this story we're missing. If there were multiple unsuccessful attempts by the staff to get the family to behave properly. If the family was physically threatening in some way. If other diners felt physically threatened... then yes, police should be called. But if it's just kids running around being annoying, I don't understand why the manager couldn't have handled this without police backup.

That all said, the family is loathsome.

by Anonymousreply 4609/20/2013

[quote] I can understand calling the cops if there's a part of this story we're missing. If there were multiple unsuccessful attempts by the staff to get the family to behave properly. If the family was physically threatening in some way.

The family is black. The restaurant is in Katy, a freeper suburb of Houston.

by Anonymousreply 4709/20/2013

9:15 is too late for kids to be up and eating. This is a lack of structure and parenting.

by Anonymousreply 4809/20/2013

One of my favorite restaurants hasa sign posted, "Children found inside the restaurant unaccompanied by adults will be sold into slavery."

It's a German restaurant, so they're not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 4909/20/2013

OMG, are you serious, R47? Sorry, I missed that part.

Fuck Applebee's then. Shitty restaurant anyway. I hope the family sues them.

by Anonymousreply 5009/20/2013

Why, R50? They get a pass to be assholes because they're black? I think that's racist.

by Anonymousreply 5109/20/2013

Their race is besides the point, unless they were ejected for being black, which no one is claiming.

If your take on the story changed when you realized they were black--either way--you're a racist.

by Anonymousreply 5209/20/2013

No, R51, they don't get a pass because they're black. They're still doing a shitty job disciplining their children. But kids running around a restaurant being disruptive is not something you call in the police for. THAT'S the part that's racist. Were this a white family it would have been handled differently.

by Anonymousreply 5309/20/2013

Unless you were there, R53, you have no idea if that's true.

by Anonymousreply 5409/20/2013

The children are 3 and 1, R54. They're not hoodlums. I know you want to make them out to be gang bangers, but try to resist, OK?

by Anonymousreply 5509/20/2013

I'm sure the parents may have had something to do with the restaurant's calling the police, R55.

by Anonymousreply 5609/20/2013

It is quite a leap to go from "toddler running down the aisle" to "call the cops".

Either the waitstaff are hyper-reactive and kind of racist, or (more likely) a significant chunk of the story got left out. Maybe the waitstaff spoke to the parents but the parents got indignant to the point of being combative. I have seen that happen.

by Anonymousreply 5709/20/2013

My first reaction to this was that the whole story wasn't being told. No, I don't think the police were called for the kids, they were called for the parents, who were drunk for all we know. I think if race were remotely a factor, the family would be playing that angle. For all we know the manager who called the cops could be black, which would negate any racial motive.

by Anonymousreply 5809/20/2013

The stories starting to come out from people who were there are that management said something to the parents and they caused a scene. I live in Houston and Katy has a lot of black people so I don't think it's about race.

by Anonymousreply 6009/20/2013

[quote]The children are 3 and 1, [R54]. They're not hoodlums.

Yet.

by Anonymousreply 6109/20/2013

[quote]The stories starting to come out from people who were there are that management said something to the parents and they caused a scene.

I had a feeling that was the real situation.

by Anonymousreply 6209/20/2013

"The stories starting to come out from people who were there are that management said something to the parents and they caused a scene."

Yes, of course, that makes sense. It's almost impossible to believe management would have called the cops because the kid was running around the restaurant, without speaking to the parents first and asking them to control the kid. So, yes, some important information was almost certainly left out of the story, but that's the state of journalism today.

by Anonymousreply 6309/20/2013

The newest restaurant sign regarding children is, "Wandering (or Unattended) Children Will be Given a Shot of Espresso and a Free Puppy."

I think it's too tempting to the children. I like the "captured and sold into slavery" sign better.

by Anonymousreply 6409/20/2013

I like "Unattended Children Will be Served As Sausage."

by Anonymousreply 6509/20/2013

Unattended children will be looked after by Uncle Henry in the basement. Management not responsible for what happens down there.

by Anonymousreply 6609/20/2013

Can anyone post a link to these 'stories starting to come out' about the parents causing a scene?

by Anonymousreply 6709/20/2013

[quote] OMG, are you serious, [R47]? Sorry, I missed that part.

How did you miss that? Did you miss the part where they are black or that it happened in Texas? They aren't hiding the fact that they are black. And the article specifically states this occurred in Katy, Texas. You didn't even read the linked story did you?

But you go on to say "Fuck Applebee's then. Shitty restaurant anyway. I hope the family sues them."

by Anonymousreply 6809/20/2013

Millennials don't have time to read anything more than 140 characters. I think half our posters react to the headline and then post idiotically without reading anything else.

by Anonymousreply 6909/20/2013

Kind of surprising o see a black kid named Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 7009/20/2013

[quote] And are customers going to start calling the police if they are dissatisfied with their entrees?

How have you missed all of the stories about customers calling 911 because fast food places didn't get their orders right or were out of McNuggets?

by Anonymousreply 7109/20/2013

[quote]How did you miss that? Did you miss the part where they are black or that it happened in Texas? They aren't hiding the fact that they are black. And the article specifically states this occurred in Katy, Texas. You didn't even read the linked story did you?

Jesus Christ, why are you so OTT? The linked story, which is posted in its entirety in the OP, does not once mention that the family is black. Not everyone likes to open DM mail links b/c it's a right wing paper.

by Anonymousreply 7209/20/2013

[quote]Mrs Maliti told KHOU 11 she was stunned.'I feel disrespected,' she said.

GOOD!

by Anonymousreply 7309/20/2013

Think how the other patrons felt dealing with your unleashed hellions, bitch

by Anonymousreply 7409/20/2013

Hot food is being carried around in restarants...no place for kids to be running around, a waiter doesn't expect rug rats...

by Anonymousreply 7509/20/2013

It's amazing that that passes for humor somewhere, R76. Is your shoe size bigger than your IQ?

by Anonymousreply 7709/20/2013

[quote]The linked story, which is posted in its entirety in the OP, does not once mention that the family is black.

It was right in the story in black and white. The woman said "I feel disrespected." How many white people have ever said that? "I feel disrespected," is ghetto language, usually claimed when the disrespected person is actually in the wrong.

by Anonymousreply 7809/20/2013

[quote] The linked story, which is posted in its entirety in the OP, does not once mention that the family is black.

But the picture at the link kinda does.

by Anonymousreply 7909/20/2013

Yeah, but lots of us avoid Daily Mail links, R79, so we never saw the picture.

by Anonymousreply 8009/20/2013

I don't believe my family was ever kicked out of a restaurant because of bad behavior by my brothers and I. But we were yanked out by my parents a few time because we were out of control.

We'd get in the car and my mother would tell us that she was never so embarrassed and that we were a bunch of wild little monkeys. My father would seethe. I don't think we went out to eat as a family for many years.

I would be shocked, shocked I tell you to learn that this lovely family has experienced this disrespect before.

by Anonymousreply 8109/20/2013

[quote] Yeah, but lots of us avoid Daily Mail links, [R79], so we never saw the picture.

Honestly, you won't click the Daily Mail? But you go on to comment about something you haven't really read about

by Anonymousreply 8309/21/2013

Get over yourself, R82. No one called the cops on the kids. They called on the parents who refused to leave after repeated attempts to get them to control their wild kids. No doubt the manager in question is also black or you would have read shrieks of racism loud and clear in the article. The parents are probably kicking themselves for not choosing a place with a white manager.

BTW, that entire family could stand to skip a few meals.

by Anonymousreply 8409/21/2013

[quote]The people who called the cops because they were offended that a black toddler was running around in Applebee's...

That's a great scenario you've got started R82 but if you're going to lie about the event, you really shouldn't stop now. You could build on that and tell how two cops were needed to hold back the parents while the other two cops put handcuffs on the toddlers.

by Anonymousreply 8509/21/2013

[quote]Kind of surprising o see a black kid named Ryan.

Quite refreshing actually. Ethan and Ryan sound fairly normal and it's surprising to not see a black kid named DeShawn or LaMarcus.

by Anonymousreply 8609/21/2013

Sorry, but color is not relevant here.

Take care of your fucking kids or don't have them. Period, end of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 8709/21/2013

Is this perhaps a socio-economic or cultural thing? I've noticed white trash, poor Hispanics and blacks tend to have really bratty kids in public. I assume they allowed to run wild at home and have no structure. I know here in Houston there are higher incidences of child fatalities in car accidents among the Hispanic community. They thinks it's cruel to strap them down in car seats and belts. They actually found this out from sending Spanish speaking cops into the community to educate them about car safety.

by Anonymousreply 8809/21/2013

Hmmm where I live hispanic children are almost universally well-behaved in public and it's the white kids who act like entitled, out-of-control brats

by Anonymousreply 8909/21/2013

Yes, R89, and you will notice I mentioned white trash too.

by Anonymousreply 9009/21/2013

I've noticed that black kids are generally better behaved in public. The mothers tend to be much stricter than white mothers.

When I first read OP's post, I assumed it was a white yuppie couple.

The most out of control kids I've seen were toddlers running around a restaurant in the West Village. My friend and I were having brunch and we were on the upper level, but the little monsters (with two sets of oblivious parents not watching them) ran upstairs to our level and were leaning over the balcony. Ugh. Oh, yeah, and if we're doing demographics, the kids and parents were white.

by Anonymousreply 9109/21/2013

Obviously, R82 was there, and we must bow to her superior knowledge borne of experience.

I find white kids the most obnoxious. One day I was at Panera, and a Eurotrash family sat at a nearby booth. The father and the son, who let the mother do all the ordering and schlepping, btw, sat at the table and bounced a ball back and forth, hitting the table with each throw.

I had to say something. I wouldn't say they were pissed, exactly, but I think they were surprised. They looked at me, then at each other, and laughed. But they put their ball away.

by Anonymousreply 9209/21/2013

Well, R90, I'm talking about white, upper middle class kids.

by Anonymousreply 9409/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.