Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lexapro

Anyone here on Lexapro?

by Anonymousreply 10609/22/2013

Have been in the past.

by Anonymousreply 109/19/2013

That's the one that is awful to try to come off of when you've been on it for a while. It takes months for the side effects to go away, I've read things on message boards about how horrifying it is supposed to be. Just Google 'Lexapro' and 'withdrawal' and see what you get.

by Anonymousreply 209/19/2013

I just ate a handful

by Anonymousreply 309/19/2013

Coming down from Lexapro was nowhere near as bad as coming down from Celexa!

That said, Lexapro worked great for addressing my depression, but I had a hard time getting/sustaining erections. Now I'm on Wellbutrin (and horny all the time).

by Anonymousreply 409/19/2013

Here we go with yet another thread on Lexapro. I am absolutely sure these threads are started by hired trolls working for big Pharma.

by Anonymousreply 509/19/2013

I was several years ago. I had a couple side-effects that drove me off of it.

First, there were the normal things you get with anti-depressant. You lose whatever it is that makes you you. And you lose interest in sex (which for those of us with depression is business-as-usual, anyway).

I had a couple unique side-effects. First, I would bite my tongue when sleeping. Not just bite, but chomp on. I will always have crevices in my tongue as a result.

The other side-effect was that I could sleep all day. I'd awaken at whatever time and easily come up with an excuse to go back to sleep. Luckily, or unfortunately, my job allowed unlimited telecommuting. So I managed to fake actually working. But weekends were particularly bad because, who the heck wants to waste a day off by sleeping?

During one of my occasional waking hours, I decided to stop Lexapro.

As far as I know, my experience was unusual. I wouldn't discourage you, OP. I just keep wondering if anyone had similar experiences to mine.

by Anonymousreply 609/19/2013

Lexepro is a placebo and a dangerous one at that. It's now in YOUR water supply - along with birth control hormones. You are taking it whether you want to or not.

The big drug companies make $100 billion - yes, 100 billion globally - on anti-depressants that have no effect on depression.

by Anonymousreply 709/19/2013

I'm on Paxil now. What are your symptoms OP?

by Anonymousreply 809/19/2013

If you have mild to moderate depression Lexapro will do you no good at all. This has been scientifically proven. The only effect will be the placebo effect mentioned in an earlier posting. Visiting a witch doctor will probably work better.

by Anonymousreply 909/19/2013

The problem is that antidepressants don’t work any better than placebo. They’re useless and dangerous. Citalopram can cause heart attacks! Plus, antidepressants can lead to suicide attempts. They blunt emotions and keep people from being in touch with their feelings. Watch the number of suicides jump if they start giving antidepressants to everyone. But hey, who cares as long as the drug companies want to do this! Their billions of dollars in profits are much more important than the lives of human beings.

by Anonymousreply 1009/19/2013

Ok, what do you experts recommend for depressed folks then?

by Anonymousreply 1109/19/2013

SSRIs are no better than placebos for reducing depression, and much worse than exercise. But let’s add some data. Healy shows that the placebo suicides are really withdrawal suicides. Thus the popular SSRI anti-depressant are 3 to 10 times more likely to trigger suicide. These drugs are extraordinarily dangerous. Add to this 50% impotence in males. In addition 20% will develop mania and be re-diagnosed as “bipolar.” Soon they’ll be on a cocktail of drugs, which will lead to premature death preceded by diabetes and tardive dyskinesia. Don’t forget these drugs are Jekyll and Hyde drugs so with these numbers on SSRIs there are sure to be a many more gruesome murders. If there are any settlement it will be done quietly out of court so the public will never find out about it.

None of this will lead the public to blame the drug companies since as Mencken said “no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.” It’s hard to predict what will happen beyond this because the advertizing writers are so resourceful, and the psychiatrists are so eager to help that short of a major and imaginative effort on the part of anti-psychiatry forces to outwit the drug companies there will not be any movement toward reducing the consumption of drugs.More likely they’ll come up with a new miracle drug that supposedly has less adverse side effects.

by Anonymousreply 1209/19/2013

Ok, I'll-informed troll at r7, r9 and r10, be gone.

by Anonymousreply 1309/19/2013

R11 - I know it sounds crazy, but exercise works better. You have no idea how the foods and additives in the food supply can effect mood.

by Anonymousreply 1409/19/2013

You can't drive people away because you want to ignore the science.

by Anonymousreply 1509/19/2013

Here's the thing. Some people are not going to eat right and exercise, for whatever reason. So doctors saying that's their best option is useless. If the drugs are useless too, that's fine, say it. But exercise and diet is not the answer for everyone. So we need to find drugs or some other answer for them, so what is it?

by Anonymousreply 1609/19/2013

r12 you left out the fact that the FDA is owned by the drug companies. And congress is owned by lobbyists. So there is little check on the big pharma juggernaut.

Caveat emptor. Ask a ton of questions if you get a prescription. Don't accept the marketing hype.

by Anonymousreply 1709/19/2013

It depends, if you are severely depressed that is another thing altogether. If it's mild to moderate one should always follow the healthy, holistic path before dumping chemicals into your body. The 50% impotence in males should stop most of you guys.

Diet and exercise are really, really important. Cut our sugar and walk twice a day for only 15-20 minutes and you will probably see a huge improvement in your attitude.

by Anonymousreply 1809/19/2013

I am R18 and I am following this myself. I didn't believe it - diet and exercise - would work. I am two months into it now, wow, what a difference.

by Anonymousreply 1909/19/2013

Grounding oneself is the act of walking or standing barefoot on grass or dirt. It is absolutely fantastic for relieving depression.

It's so simple, free, and yet so effective.

by Anonymousreply 2009/19/2013

Ok.. hypothetically, if someone is mild to moderately depressed, ongoing - not situational, and say, has a stressful job with no time to eat right or exercise... what should they do?

Not FDA conspiracy... not they should quit their job to eat right and exercise... what... should... they... do?

A stronger medication? Practical advice only.

by Anonymousreply 2109/19/2013

OMFG

Let's try this again. I'll try not to facepalm when I read your responses. No hippie shit. No gym rat shit (by the way, a lot of dry drunks think they are healed and happy when they turn themselves into gym and diet nuts when they are actually still all kinds of fucked up mentally). If Lexapro doesn't work, what does? Klonopin?

by Anonymousreply 2209/19/2013

You don't need to put toxic things in your body. Even if you did it would not work.

I found out I was type 2 diabetic and almost lost my foot to it. It was horrible. I was depressed and angry.

When I cut out sugar, most of the carbs, changed my diet and started walking it worked for me. I have a hugely stressful job. When I did this stuff it was like a huge dark cloud disappeared from over my head.

On of my friends is trying to get me to cut out caffeine now.

by Anonymousreply 2309/19/2013

I don't have time to go to Whole Foods. I barely have time to eat out of a vending machine. I wish there was a pill that I could take one once a day that would meet all my nutritional needs for the day. I don't give a shit about food, and I hate cooking and the associated dishes, etc. afterward.

by Anonymousreply 2409/19/2013

R22, you have a point--severely depressed people cannot exercise, change their diets, think positive, etc because their brains are not functioning correctly.

For natural substances, I first recommend lots of coffee. Coffee is a useful antidepressant that also helps one focus.

Saint John's Wort is another that should be tried and remember--tincture only, the pills don't work too well.

Motherwort tincture is great for relieving anxiety, which is often the cause of crippling depression. Use as much as needed.

5HTP may be effective for someone who needs instant relief, although there are more ricks there then with the above mentioned substances.

If these things do not work than yes, I recommend psychiatric drugs. Only because it beats being dead. Hopefully one will use them short term. Of course therapy is in order.

by Anonymousreply 2509/19/2013

As a rule I'd NEVER ask a bunch of anonymous people how any drug works, particularly antidepressants. You'll get every naysayer/conspiracy theorist out there chiming in, and further everyone will respond differently to a particular drug.

I'm on Lexapro, 20 mg for depression and anxiety I had as a result of being diagnosed with another illness. Lexapro certainly helps and the only major side effect is a decreased sex drive, but I have no problem getting and maintaining an erection. Yes decreased sex drive sucks but for me, better happy that horny. It hasn't diminished my emotions, and the love I feel for my husband and family has not changed. That's not what this class of drugs will do.

I may taper off of it in a year or so, and at that time I'll work with my medical doctor and psychologist in doing so.

by Anonymousreply 2609/19/2013

R24 looks like you have some big problems. Have you tried marihuana?

by Anonymousreply 2709/19/2013

R27, if I lived in a state where it were legal... if only.

Better yet, THC in tablet form.

by Anonymousreply 2809/19/2013

This thread proves what was posted above “no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.”

by Anonymousreply 2909/19/2013

r22

Klonopin is not an antidepressant. It can actually aggravate or cause major depression.

by Anonymousreply 3009/19/2013

At least grass is natural - right?

by Anonymousreply 3109/19/2013

Oh Gawd. Lexapro is the least of it. My pill doctor just upped my dosage yesterday after listening to me tell him what a pile of crap my life has turned into lately.

by Anonymousreply 3209/19/2013

I need a combo of Adderall XR and also standard release, plus some caffeine tablets.

by Anonymousreply 3309/19/2013

Does meth cure depression?

by Anonymousreply 3409/19/2013

Many cannot tolerate pot and become psychotic, especially if used during a depression.

I smoked pot once. I became intensely paranoid and hallucinated. It was awful.

I shared the crap with my buddy who did not have the same reaction, so I know it wasn't tainted or spiked with anything.

Pot works like LSD for many.

by Anonymousreply 3509/19/2013

I just ground them all under the heals of my manolo blahniks

by Anonymousreply 3609/19/2013

Meth might really be an option for depression, if you want to go chemical.

by Anonymousreply 3709/19/2013

I can see why people become pill hoarders. Now that I'm past hard drugs and booze I don't think I could live without my dolls.

by Anonymousreply 3809/19/2013

I've been on Lexapro for the past 3 years. Taking 20 milligrams at night. I take it for anxiety not for depression. For me I feel that it has been wonderful. As someone did mention it does sometimes affect my sex drive/ performance. But thank goodness my partner is very understanding

by Anonymousreply 3909/19/2013

A few years back, I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder. My doc prescribed Lexapro. I took it and became lethargic, dimwitted, and gained weight I still haven't been able to shake.

After doing internet research (which my lazy ass should have done beforehand), I found out all that stuff. I got off Lexapro w/out side effects except the fat ass, hips and thighs.

by Anonymousreply 4009/19/2013

My partner has been on Lexapro for a few years now. The sex stopped completely for us after that. His depression never stopped or improved. About a year ago he started drinking, too, so now he's drunk by 7PM every evening. He says if he didn't take Lexapro he'd be much worse. I don't know what to do. Sometimes I think I must now be more depressed than he is!

by Anonymousreply 4109/19/2013

I'm R39 and I promise you that r41 is not my partner :-)

by Anonymousreply 4209/19/2013

LOL - I'm R41 and I agree!

by Anonymousreply 4309/19/2013

[quote]if someone is mild to moderately depressed, ongoing - not situational, and say, has a stressful job with no time to eat right or exercise... what should they do?

Change your habits so you can eat right and exercise. It's possible for anyone. Stop using a 'stressful job' as an excuse. Your body needs proper nutrition, it also needs exercise. These are medical necessities for human beings.

by Anonymousreply 4409/19/2013

A guy I work with takes 5-htp for depression, I tried it and my dreams were too vivid so I had to stop.

by Anonymousreply 4509/19/2013

lol r43

by Anonymousreply 4609/19/2013

Wow. One freak has written half the replies here to shriek that SSRIs don't work!

He asserts that $100 billion bucks a YEAR are spent on these drugs, but it takes one guy, HIM to tell us all that they don't work.

Don't you think if the didn't work as he says, that those taking it would know without being told?

I actually took Zoloft for years after wasting many years listening to know-nothings like him telling me not to.

by Anonymousreply 4709/19/2013

Nobody is saying they don't work r47. They do work.

But the science says they don't work any better than placebo.

Placebo works too. When a drug doesn't get better results than placebo in clinical trials, it indicates the chemical is inert. But that's not to say that some people didn't get a real benefit.

Understand?

by Anonymousreply 4809/19/2013

There are a bunch of us posting in this thread - it's not just two guys going back and forth. I am one of them and I know of four others that are trying to be voices of reason in here.

by Anonymousreply 4909/19/2013

Lexapro has made such a difference for me. I've been on 20 mg for about four years now. My anxiety was crippling...now, I feel normal.

by Anonymousreply 5009/19/2013

The alleged studies that said SSRIs were no more effective than placebos have been debunked. In three quarters of cases, antidepressants have been shown to be more effective.

Even if you weren't selectively chosen your "facts" it is just a stupid thing to say they are not effective.

I took antidepressants when I suffered severe depression. I might have killed myself without them. I would certainly still be lying in bed.

by Anonymousreply 5109/20/2013

Lol r43

by Anonymousreply 5209/20/2013

R5, then they are idiots. People with bad experiences will be the first to comment.

by Anonymousreply 5309/20/2013

R7, then it's not a placebo. By definition, placebos are inert and have no physical effects on anyone.

by Anonymousreply 5409/20/2013

I started having panic attacks a few years ago and the doc put me on lexapro. Took it about a year. Helped the panic attacks some, but gained so much weight, and I could always get an erection but could almost never ejaculate. Getting off of it was hard. Tapered off, but still had the brain zaps.

What finally helped was changing my diet and doing some vitamin supplements, cutting down on drinking, and walking every morning.

I had a few traumatic things happen all at once a few months back, and I haven't been doing so well--gained weight, feeling panicky--but it's because I haven't been taking care of myself like I had. At least now I have learned to cope with the panic and realize it is what it is.

Oh, and they tried me on Wellbutrin, and I hated that shit. After about 6 days, my BF wanted to take me to the mental hospital. I have never been so close to a complete meltdown. It started my ears ringing, and two years after quitting it they are STILL doing it.

by Anonymousreply 5509/20/2013

you will gain weight--in a year and a half i gained 17 pounds wwith no change to diet or exercise-and then, it takes FOREVER to take it off once youve stopped taking it

also-getting off of it is like getting off of heroin

by Anonymousreply 5609/20/2013

In thirty years everyone will be going to an endocrinologist for depression and psychiatrists will be unemployed.

All depressives need to have their hormones checked--it is a guarantee that you have an imbalance if you want to kill yourself.

Hormones regulate our brains. Alcohol and drugs fuck up our hormones, as do all of the pollutants in our water and environment.

Get your hormones checked if you are depressed.

by Anonymousreply 5709/20/2013

My mother died. I wanted to donate her remaining pills but I was told it was illegal to donate, to flush them down the loo, to throw them away, or take them to a doctor or hospital.

Indeed, the only thing that wouldn't get me in trouble was to take them. And I wasn't going to do that so I still have a bottle.

by Anonymousreply 5809/20/2013

Coming off Lexipro was CRAZY for me. Like an idiot, I didn't taper. I had lost my job, lost my insurance, was broke, and couldn't afford the refill. Wow. Two weeks of insane mania. Brain zaps. Writing manifestos. Shifting all the furniture in my apartment. Calling friends at all hours with theories on life, art, music. And I am definitively NOT bipolar. But damn I acted like it. It was actually sort of fun. I get why bipolar don't want to take their meds. Mania is awesome.

I will never touch an SSRI again, though. Hated being on it.

by Anonymousreply 5909/20/2013

[quote]The alleged studies that said SSRIs were no more effective than placebos have been debunked. In three quarters of cases, antidepressants have been shown to be more effective.

Link please. There's also a tradeoff with side effects. Does the risk of weight gain and brain zaps outweigh potential benefits? My doc told me how that's now an issue; a lot of people gain weight.

by Anonymousreply 6009/21/2013

A psych put me on it for panic attacks, depression, anxiety. All my friends objectified me and shut me out during that time, so that was also awesome. Of course the pills did nothing but create some fizzy distraction in my brain.

One day, after being on it about two weeks, brain fizzing away, I had a diarrhea explosion in my pants at a red light. A homeless dude saw my expression and knew exactly what had occurred.

I also projectile vomited whenever I worked out.

I got off it and found natural alternatives. I also got real cold about the kind of people I was going to let be around me for some time. I'm warming up now.

by Anonymousreply 6109/21/2013

no weight gain for me been on Lexapro as I said earlier for 3 years. love it

by Anonymousreply 6209/21/2013

Lexapro is no better or worse than any other antidepressant. It might work for you with minimal side effects, or it might not.

And don't listen to these idiots (or is it one idiot?) that are telling people that SSRIs are placebos or to just exercise. That might be true for milder depression, but they are very effective in severe depression.

Try non-drug alternatives first or psychotherapy first. If you're not getting better (or getting worse), then try the pill.

by Anonymousreply 6309/21/2013

Prozac makes me fat. So now I'm depressed and fat.

by Anonymousreply 6409/21/2013

Any SSRI will make you fat. Sad but true.

Get an ADHD diagnosis and get on Adderall.

by Anonymousreply 6509/21/2013

Lexapro is apparently the drug of choice for mild geriatric depression. So if it's prescribed for you, your doctor might think you're old. Isn't THAT depressing?

by Anonymousreply 6609/21/2013

Lexapro wouldn't help the elderly, I wouldn't think. They need a jolt. They need Adderall too. It really is a wonder drug. Except for that whole chasing the dragon thing.

by Anonymousreply 6709/21/2013

Eveeyone is different in terms of side effects. I gained 30 lbs on Paxil, but lost it all when I switched to Zoloft, which causes no side effects and has worked very well for me for years.

Sometimes you have to try different meds to see which one will do the job with minimal side effects. All of the antidepressants are equally effective, but eveyone is unique in how they respond to and tolerate each one.

by Anonymousreply 6809/21/2013

Regardless of your expectations, R67, everyone I know who is being prescribed something for geriatric depression has been given Lexapro, at least for a while. This includes several people with whose non-psychiatric care I have been involved, and quite a few more who have simply disclosed what they were being given.

by Anonymousreply 6909/21/2013

When antidepressants came out they were used a temporary stopgap measure. Now we're told you're supposed to take them indefinitely. When did that start?

by Anonymousreply 7009/21/2013

BIGPHARMA at work!

by Anonymousreply 7109/21/2013

Not everyone needs to take antidepressants for the rest of their life. However, many people who benefit the most from them have a long history of depression with significant symptoms that impair their functioning. Depression recurs in 50% of people who experience severe episodes.

Many others can get off them after a year or two if their depression is gone and their history is unremarkable. But this is the exception, rather than the rule, because people who are mildly depressed often don't take antidepressants in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 7209/21/2013

They need to come out with the next generation of antidepression medications. I've been through all the ones out now, none of them really did the trick.

by Anonymousreply 7309/21/2013

I think everyone should be screened for depression. People who are say they are 'depressed' should be required to take medication whether they want to or not. They should also pay more for their insurance.

by Anonymousreply 7409/21/2013

That'll cheer them up.

by Anonymousreply 7509/21/2013

I am tired of hearing spoiled babies complaining about being 'depressed'. Get over it, get a life. Enough. No insurance for it play for it if you want it.

by Anonymousreply 7609/21/2013

I lost one of my best friend to suicide because he was 'depressed.' Go fuck yourself with a rusty spike, R76.

by Anonymousreply 7709/21/2013

They're coming out with advanced brain scanning techniques and also genetic testing that will allow doctors to give people the best medication for their particular mental illness. If we live long enough, we'll see some amazing advances in medicine. Unfortunately, because of some folks shortsightedness, these advances are mostly coming out of other countries. Here, scientific funding has been slashed and there's too many bans against things like stem cell research.

by Anonymousreply 7809/21/2013

I suffer from WED/RLS - Restless Leg Syndrome - and have been successfully treated with regular doses of Ropinirole. I didn't know I had it until I saw the condition described in commercials on TV. My legs and arms seemed to move at times.

My condition has created acute anxiety for me and Lexapro helped me deal with the resulting depression.

What would I do without these medications? Suicide? Who knows. Thank you, Glaxo Smith Kline!

by Anonymousreply 7909/21/2013

Cannabis is great for depression and RLS. The drug companies don't want to see cannabis legalized because it might cut into their enormous profits. It's weird; nasty man-made lexepro is legal and natural cannibis is illegal.

by Anonymousreply 8009/21/2013

[quote]But this is the exception, rather than the rule, because people who are mildly depressed often don't take antidepressants in the first place.

You must be joking. Primary care doctors hand them out like aspirin. If you have trouble sleeping or loss of appetite or feeling 'blah' they'll say "Sounds like depression" and give you a pill. This is what happened to me. The pill did nothing for me and was later banned because it caused liver damage (and death) -- Serzone. I started learning more and was shocked to find out what I did about these drugs.

If you're depressed, you deserve effective treatment. Not expensive "test it out and see how it works for you" big pharma meds.

If they can figure out what causes depression and a way to fix it, great. Right now all we have is a heavy advertising and little science.

by Anonymousreply 8109/21/2013

What about people who deal with depression AND anxiety?

I can't do lots of coffee- it sends me into a cycle.

I am exercising but I still need something for my constant worrying and occasional bouts of panic.

Alternately I am mildly depressed about life in general.

It's been long enough that I feel I need meds but what?

by Anonymousreply 8209/21/2013

You need a new primary care doctor then. Mine won't touch anything depression related.

by Anonymousreply 8309/21/2013

For some reason going to the grocery store is a panic attack trigger for me. It sucks.

by Anonymousreply 8409/21/2013

r82 have you tried cognitive therapy? Recognizing that symptoms can be brought on and exacerbated by what/how you're thinking can be helpful. At least it was for me.

I recommend Claire Weekes' books. Kind of old-school writing, but it was reassuring to know that other people have dealt with this and learned how to sail through it.

by Anonymousreply 8509/21/2013

I had anxiety and panic attacks that would get so bad that at times I could barely function. But since going on Lexapro seven years ago I've felt so much better. Obviously it's not for everybody but it's helped me to feel normal again.

by Anonymousreply 8609/21/2013

R81, yes that's true. But how many of those people actually take the drug and tolerate weeks of side effects, all with no follow-up from their doctor who knows little to nothing about treating depression?

Very few. People that really need help will try anything to relieve their suffering and those are the ones that will stick with it. Antidepressants are not Valium or Xanax.

by Anonymousreply 8709/21/2013

r82 Lexapro is used to treat anxiety as well as depression. It could help you with both issues, so ask a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 8809/21/2013

[quote]Many cannot tolerate pot and become psychotic, especially if used during a depression.

Not true.

[quote]I smoked pot once. I became intensely paranoid and hallucinated. It was awful.

You sound like a pussy.

[quote]Pot works like LSD for many.

Again, not true.

by Anonymousreply 8909/21/2013

R47 is a freeper freak, he is probably a meth head

by Anonymousreply 9009/21/2013

r87, I don't understand your point.

Valium and xanax are benzos and they definitely work better than placebo, but they are addictive.

You're saying that people who are suffering from depression need to also suffer through side effects of drugs, just stick with it, and follow up with their doctors? I'm saying depressed people deserve better.

Would people with high blood pressure or diabetes be told: You might have brain zaps or gain 30 lbs but just stick with it???

I don't think so. For some reason depressed people are trained to accept the idea that you will be a guinea pig for drug companies, but just stick with it.

by Anonymousreply 9109/21/2013

I'm rapid cycling bipolar. We gradually built up to this cocktail that works: 550 mg Lamictal, 15 mg Zyprexa, and 2.5 mg Lexapro. After going on the Lamictal and Zyprexa, the crazy mostly stopped but instead of going up and down, I would have these long depressions that I didn't even know were depressions until I came out of them. It was like, wow where have I been? So we went on 5 mg of Lexapro. The depressions stopped. I was finally completely balanced. But, though I could get hard, it was very hard to ejaculate just as another poster commented. So we went down 2.5 mpg. And that did the trick. I'm even, I can come, I'm fatter (thank you, Zyprexa) and I sleep more than I'd like (thank you Zyprexa) but I'm sane (Thank you Zyprexa).

by Anonymousreply 9209/21/2013

R91, antidepressant treatment is imperfect and the drugs do not work overnight. It may take a month or more to see a response and sometimes the side effects are intolerable. But many eventually find one that works with minimal side effects.

People who are severely depressed do benefit from the drugs and are best treated by psychiatrists. Others who are mildly depressed do not need drugs.

by Anonymousreply 9309/22/2013

I think we should add Lexapro to the water supply, then depression would vanish completely and everyone would be happy.

Think about it - it's not such a bad idea. We do it with flouride.

The drug companies would be happy, too, since their profits would be protected. Everyone would be happy.

by Anonymousreply 9409/22/2013

I felt that my lexapro was causing short term memory loss. I had been on it four years and went cold turkey. I remember feeling angrier than usual and a little more down but it was as if a fog had lifted and I could get more done.

I'm looking for other ways to manage my anger. Believe it or not, i see more movies now and it helps. It's a form of distraction.

by Anonymousreply 9509/22/2013

[quote]But many eventually find one that works with minimal side effects.

But how do you know it's the *drug* working if you don't feel as depressed after a month? Many cases of depression resolve on their own (and then return at some point, unfortunately).

The way these drugs are sold is very odd. There are no biomarkers or definitive medical tests for depression, so there's not really something measurable being fixed by putting a drug in your body. You take it and then if you feel better 6-8 weeks later, the drug gets credit. It seems unscientific.

by Anonymousreply 9609/22/2013

Google the 20/20 report on Paxil on YouTube. Paxil is of the devil and the Psychiatric association are closely entwined with big pharma. Damn Glaxo Smith Klein!

by Anonymousreply 9709/22/2013

R96, you have a point. However, a severe episode of depression generally resolves with no treatment in three to nine months. In some people, it never resolves or only partially gets better with time.

The real question comes down to risk versus benefit. If someone is having significant impairment and suicidal thoughts, do you hope that it resolves on its own, or do you try the drug treatment that might make it better?

Studies have shown for decades that severe depression will reoccur and the episodes will get worse as patients get older. Treating with antidepressants that are reasonably safe and effective (like the SSRIs are) is a good option to keeping people well.

The benefit is limited for those who suffer less severely and that is not a new revelation in psychiatry. The drugs have always had limitations and they do not work for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 9809/22/2013

r98, it's the "reasonably safe and effective" that I question. This class of drugs has all kinds of odd effects (brain zaps? wtf) and questionable efficacy. If depression is so bad you're suicidal and can't function, you need hospitalization and some "time off" from life, in a safe environment. Pills don't give that. I agree with William Styron's take on depression, and he was stricken so bad he could not speak.

These pills are being marketed to everyone now. The drug companies don't want people to be less depressed, they want lifetime customers.

Now they give them out to people who are grieving. It's gotten out of hand.

r97 I've known 2 people who had an awful hellish time getting off paxil. One is convinced that the drug is engineered to be addictive.

by Anonymousreply 9909/22/2013

When will they be available without a prescription?

by Anonymousreply 10009/22/2013

R99, you must be living in a dream world. Do you really think severely depressed people should be hospitalized like they were in the 40s and 50s with schizophrenics and psychotic dystonic patients? Psychiatric hospitals are not and never have been places of healing, but were warehouses.

ECT remains the most effective and rapid treatment for severe depression, yet no one has any idea how it works. But it does. The antidepressants used today are much safer and better tolerated than the tricyclics used for decades.

agree that drug companies want customers and the benefits have been oversold to primary care physicians who are not trained adequately in psychiatry, but that doesn't mean they aren't effective or safe. They are.

There will always be exceptions to the rule and some people are harmed by a drug. But millions of people have taken them and a very small percentage had unusual or adverse reactions. No different than any other drug.

by Anonymousreply 10109/22/2013

r101, Why do you equate 'hospital' with insane asylums of the 40s and 50s? I said people need rest and time off from stress to heal properly.

'Effective and safe' should mean the drugs show a clear, measurable, clinical benefit that can be tested and measured, and the people who take them experience little or no side effects. By those criteria this class of drugs is neither effective nor safe. There are entire books about it. It's only because the FDA is in the pocket of big pharma that they are legal, and marketed/sold directly to consumers, which they should not be.

by Anonymousreply 10209/22/2013

I would love to commit myself. It's like going to the spa, right?

by Anonymousreply 10309/22/2013

They do show clear and measurable clinical benefit in severely depressed patients and the SSRIs are very safe and well-tolerated. You have an axe to grind for whatever reason.

Remember....drugs don't work in people with personality disorders or cure serious psychological problems. It may relieve a few symptoms, but it will never solve the problems that psychotherapy or specific behavioral therapies can address.

by Anonymousreply 10409/22/2013

R103, going to a psychiatric hospital today is anything but a spa. The care and treatment even in the most expensive private facilities will be time-limited and pressured, unless you have unlimited funds to spend, because the insurance companies want you out ASAP.

And, by the way, the only thing you get in a psychiatric hospital versus the shrink's office is intensive daily supervision and lots of side effects while they jack-up the drugs rapidly to get you stabilized and out of there.

by Anonymousreply 10509/22/2013

[quote]I suffer from WED/RLS - Restless Leg Syndrome - and have been successfully treated with regular doses of Ropinirole.

Did you try taking magnesium supplements before going on Ropinirole? Magnesium supplements really helped me, if I had complained to my doctor, I'm sure I would have been given a prescription for something.

by Anonymousreply 10609/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!