Since 1995

Lexapro

Anyone here on Lexapro?

by Anonymousreply 10609/22/2013

Have been in the past.

by Anonymousreply 109/19/2013

I just ate a handful

by Anonymousreply 309/19/2013

Coming down from Lexapro was nowhere near as bad as coming down from Celexa!

That said, Lexapro worked great for addressing my depression, but I had a hard time getting/sustaining erections. Now I'm on Wellbutrin (and horny all the time).

by Anonymousreply 409/19/2013

I was several years ago. I had a couple side-effects that drove me off of it.

First, there were the normal things you get with anti-depressant. You lose whatever it is that makes you you. And you lose interest in sex (which for those of us with depression is business-as-usual, anyway).

I had a couple unique side-effects. First, I would bite my tongue when sleeping. Not just bite, but chomp on. I will always have crevices in my tongue as a result.

The other side-effect was that I could sleep all day. I'd awaken at whatever time and easily come up with an excuse to go back to sleep. Luckily, or unfortunately, my job allowed unlimited telecommuting. So I managed to fake actually working. But weekends were particularly bad because, who the heck wants to waste a day off by sleeping?

During one of my occasional waking hours, I decided to stop Lexapro.

As far as I know, my experience was unusual. I wouldn't discourage you, OP. I just keep wondering if anyone had similar experiences to mine.

by Anonymousreply 609/19/2013

I'm on Paxil now. What are your symptoms OP?

by Anonymousreply 809/19/2013

Ok, what do you experts recommend for depressed folks then?

by Anonymousreply 1109/19/2013

Ok, I'll-informed troll at r7, r9 and r10, be gone.

by Anonymousreply 1309/19/2013

Here's the thing. Some people are not going to eat right and exercise, for whatever reason. So doctors saying that's their best option is useless. If the drugs are useless too, that's fine, say it. But exercise and diet is not the answer for everyone. So we need to find drugs or some other answer for them, so what is it?

by Anonymousreply 1609/19/2013

Ok.. hypothetically, if someone is mild to moderately depressed, ongoing - not situational, and say, has a stressful job with no time to eat right or exercise... what should they do?

Not FDA conspiracy... not they should quit their job to eat right and exercise... what... should... they... do?

A stronger medication? Practical advice only.

by Anonymousreply 2109/19/2013

OMFG

Let's try this again. I'll try not to facepalm when I read your responses. No hippie shit. No gym rat shit (by the way, a lot of dry drunks think they are healed and happy when they turn themselves into gym and diet nuts when they are actually still all kinds of fucked up mentally). If Lexapro doesn't work, what does? Klonopin?

by Anonymousreply 2209/19/2013

As a rule I'd NEVER ask a bunch of anonymous people how any drug works, particularly antidepressants. You'll get every naysayer/conspiracy theorist out there chiming in, and further everyone will respond differently to a particular drug.

I'm on Lexapro, 20 mg for depression and anxiety I had as a result of being diagnosed with another illness. Lexapro certainly helps and the only major side effect is a decreased sex drive, but I have no problem getting and maintaining an erection. Yes decreased sex drive sucks but for me, better happy that horny. It hasn't diminished my emotions, and the love I feel for my husband and family has not changed. That's not what this class of drugs will do.

I may taper off of it in a year or so, and at that time I'll work with my medical doctor and psychologist in doing so.

by Anonymousreply 2609/19/2013

r22

Klonopin is not an antidepressant. It can actually aggravate or cause major depression.

by Anonymousreply 3009/19/2013

Oh Gawd. Lexapro is the least of it. My pill doctor just upped my dosage yesterday after listening to me tell him what a pile of crap my life has turned into lately.

by Anonymousreply 3209/19/2013

Many cannot tolerate pot and become psychotic, especially if used during a depression.

I smoked pot once. I became intensely paranoid and hallucinated. It was awful.

I shared the crap with my buddy who did not have the same reaction, so I know it wasn't tainted or spiked with anything.

Pot works like LSD for many.

by Anonymousreply 3509/19/2013

I've been on Lexapro for the past 3 years. Taking 20 milligrams at night. I take it for anxiety not for depression. For me I feel that it has been wonderful. As someone did mention it does sometimes affect my sex drive/ performance. But thank goodness my partner is very understanding

by Anonymousreply 3909/19/2013

A few years back, I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder. My doc prescribed Lexapro. I took it and became lethargic, dimwitted, and gained weight I still haven't been able to shake.

After doing internet research (which my lazy ass should have done beforehand), I found out all that stuff. I got off Lexapro w/out side effects except the fat ass, hips and thighs.

by Anonymousreply 4009/19/2013

I'm R39 and I promise you that r41 is not my partner :-)

by Anonymousreply 4209/19/2013

Wow. One freak has written half the replies here to shriek that SSRIs don't work!

He asserts that $100 billion bucks a YEAR are spent on these drugs, but it takes one guy, HIM to tell us all that they don't work.

Don't you think if the didn't work as he says, that those taking it would know without being told?

I actually took Zoloft for years after wasting many years listening to know-nothings like him telling me not to.

by Anonymousreply 4709/19/2013

Lexapro has made such a difference for me. I've been on 20 mg for about four years now. My anxiety was crippling...now, I feel normal.

by Anonymousreply 5009/20/2013

The alleged studies that said SSRIs were no more effective than placebos have been debunked. In three quarters of cases, antidepressants have been shown to be more effective.

Even if you weren't selectively chosen your "facts" it is just a stupid thing to say they are not effective.

I took antidepressants when I suffered severe depression. I might have killed myself without them. I would certainly still be lying in bed.

by Anonymousreply 5109/20/2013

R5, then they are idiots. People with bad experiences will be the first to comment.

by Anonymousreply 5309/20/2013

R7, then it's not a placebo. By definition, placebos are inert and have no physical effects on anyone.

by Anonymousreply 5409/20/2013

you will gain weight--in a year and a half i gained 17 pounds wwith no change to diet or exercise-and then, it takes FOREVER to take it off once youve stopped taking it

also-getting off of it is like getting off of heroin

by Anonymousreply 5609/20/2013

My mother died. I wanted to donate her remaining pills but I was told it was illegal to donate, to flush them down the loo, to throw them away, or take them to a doctor or hospital.

Indeed, the only thing that wouldn't get me in trouble was to take them. And I wasn't going to do that so I still have a bottle.

by Anonymousreply 5809/20/2013

no weight gain for me been on Lexapro as I said earlier for 3 years. love it

by Anonymousreply 6209/21/2013

Lexapro is no better or worse than any other antidepressant. It might work for you with minimal side effects, or it might not.

And don't listen to these idiots (or is it one idiot?) that are telling people that SSRIs are placebos or to just exercise. That might be true for milder depression, but they are very effective in severe depression.

Try non-drug alternatives first or psychotherapy first. If you're not getting better (or getting worse), then try the pill.

by Anonymousreply 6309/21/2013

Prozac makes me fat. So now I'm depressed and fat.

by Anonymousreply 6409/21/2013

Lexapro is apparently the drug of choice for mild geriatric depression. So if it's prescribed for you, your doctor might think you're old. Isn't THAT depressing?

by Anonymousreply 6609/21/2013

Eveeyone is different in terms of side effects. I gained 30 lbs on Paxil, but lost it all when I switched to Zoloft, which causes no side effects and has worked very well for me for years.

Sometimes you have to try different meds to see which one will do the job with minimal side effects. All of the antidepressants are equally effective, but eveyone is unique in how they respond to and tolerate each one.

by Anonymousreply 6809/21/2013

Regardless of your expectations, R67, everyone I know who is being prescribed something for geriatric depression has been given Lexapro, at least for a while. This includes several people with whose non-psychiatric care I have been involved, and quite a few more who have simply disclosed what they were being given.

by Anonymousreply 6909/21/2013

Not everyone needs to take antidepressants for the rest of their life. However, many people who benefit the most from them have a long history of depression with significant symptoms that impair their functioning. Depression recurs in 50% of people who experience severe episodes.

Many others can get off them after a year or two if their depression is gone and their history is unremarkable. But this is the exception, rather than the rule, because people who are mildly depressed often don't take antidepressants in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 7209/21/2013

That'll cheer them up.

by Anonymousreply 7509/21/2013

I lost one of my best friend to suicide because he was 'depressed.' Go fuck yourself with a rusty spike, R76.

by Anonymousreply 7709/21/2013

They're coming out with advanced brain scanning techniques and also genetic testing that will allow doctors to give people the best medication for their particular mental illness. If we live long enough, we'll see some amazing advances in medicine. Unfortunately, because of some folks shortsightedness, these advances are mostly coming out of other countries. Here, scientific funding has been slashed and there's too many bans against things like stem cell research.

by Anonymousreply 7809/21/2013

What about people who deal with depression AND anxiety?

I can't do lots of coffee- it sends me into a cycle.

I am exercising but I still need something for my constant worrying and occasional bouts of panic.

Alternately I am mildly depressed about life in general.

It's been long enough that I feel I need meds but what?

by Anonymousreply 8209/21/2013

You need a new primary care doctor then. Mine won't touch anything depression related.

by Anonymousreply 8309/21/2013

For some reason going to the grocery store is a panic attack trigger for me. It sucks.

by Anonymousreply 8409/21/2013

I had anxiety and panic attacks that would get so bad that at times I could barely function. But since going on Lexapro seven years ago I've felt so much better. Obviously it's not for everybody but it's helped me to feel normal again.

by Anonymousreply 8609/22/2013

R81, yes that's true. But how many of those people actually take the drug and tolerate weeks of side effects, all with no follow-up from their doctor who knows little to nothing about treating depression?

Very few. People that really need help will try anything to relieve their suffering and those are the ones that will stick with it. Antidepressants are not Valium or Xanax.

by Anonymousreply 8709/22/2013

r82 Lexapro is used to treat anxiety as well as depression. It could help you with both issues, so ask a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 8809/22/2013

R47 is a freeper freak, he is probably a meth head

by Anonymousreply 9009/22/2013

I'm rapid cycling bipolar. We gradually built up to this cocktail that works: 550 mg Lamictal, 15 mg Zyprexa, and 2.5 mg Lexapro. After going on the Lamictal and Zyprexa, the crazy mostly stopped but instead of going up and down, I would have these long depressions that I didn't even know were depressions until I came out of them. It was like, wow where have I been? So we went on 5 mg of Lexapro. The depressions stopped. I was finally completely balanced. But, though I could get hard, it was very hard to ejaculate just as another poster commented. So we went down 2.5 mpg. And that did the trick. I'm even, I can come, I'm fatter (thank you, Zyprexa) and I sleep more than I'd like (thank you Zyprexa) but I'm sane (Thank you Zyprexa).

by Anonymousreply 9209/22/2013

R91, antidepressant treatment is imperfect and the drugs do not work overnight. It may take a month or more to see a response and sometimes the side effects are intolerable. But many eventually find one that works with minimal side effects.

People who are severely depressed do benefit from the drugs and are best treated by psychiatrists. Others who are mildly depressed do not need drugs.

by Anonymousreply 9309/22/2013

I felt that my lexapro was causing short term memory loss. I had been on it four years and went cold turkey. I remember feeling angrier than usual and a little more down but it was as if a fog had lifted and I could get more done.

I'm looking for other ways to manage my anger. Believe it or not, i see more movies now and it helps. It's a form of distraction.

by Anonymousreply 9509/22/2013

R96, you have a point. However, a severe episode of depression generally resolves with no treatment in three to nine months. In some people, it never resolves or only partially gets better with time.

The real question comes down to risk versus benefit. If someone is having significant impairment and suicidal thoughts, do you hope that it resolves on its own, or do you try the drug treatment that might make it better?

Studies have shown for decades that severe depression will reoccur and the episodes will get worse as patients get older. Treating with antidepressants that are reasonably safe and effective (like the SSRIs are) is a good option to keeping people well.

The benefit is limited for those who suffer less severely and that is not a new revelation in psychiatry. The drugs have always had limitations and they do not work for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 9809/22/2013

R99, you must be living in a dream world. Do you really think severely depressed people should be hospitalized like they were in the 40s and 50s with schizophrenics and psychotic dystonic patients? Psychiatric hospitals are not and never have been places of healing, but were warehouses.

ECT remains the most effective and rapid treatment for severe depression, yet no one has any idea how it works. But it does. The antidepressants used today are much safer and better tolerated than the tricyclics used for decades.

agree that drug companies want customers and the benefits have been oversold to primary care physicians who are not trained adequately in psychiatry, but that doesn't mean they aren't effective or safe. They are.

There will always be exceptions to the rule and some people are harmed by a drug. But millions of people have taken them and a very small percentage had unusual or adverse reactions. No different than any other drug.

by Anonymousreply 10109/22/2013

I would love to commit myself. It's like going to the spa, right?

by Anonymousreply 10309/22/2013

They do show clear and measurable clinical benefit in severely depressed patients and the SSRIs are very safe and well-tolerated. You have an axe to grind for whatever reason.

Remember....drugs don't work in people with personality disorders or cure serious psychological problems. It may relieve a few symptoms, but it will never solve the problems that psychotherapy or specific behavioral therapies can address.

by Anonymousreply 10409/22/2013

R103, going to a psychiatric hospital today is anything but a spa. The care and treatment even in the most expensive private facilities will be time-limited and pressured, unless you have unlimited funds to spend, because the insurance companies want you out ASAP.

And, by the way, the only thing you get in a psychiatric hospital versus the shrink's office is intensive daily supervision and lots of side effects while they jack-up the drugs rapidly to get you stabilized and out of there.

by Anonymousreply 10509/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.