Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Headline on CNN right now: "Can Boehner reign [sic] in his own party?"

Who does the "typesetting" for CNN? Do you think they are a graduate of a first-tier institution?

by Anonymousreply 3209/21/2013

Maybe he wants to reign as King of the Pubbies, though he seems somewhat queenie when he starts to blubber.

by Anonymousreply 109/19/2013

I think that using "they are" requires them to be "graduates" and not "a graduate," but then again you're the first-tier educmacationated one.

by Anonymousreply 209/19/2013

Yeah, OP, that should have been either "do you think he or she is a graduate of a first-tier institution" ...." or "do you think they are graduates of first-tier institutions"?

And the answer is, Who the hell knows? I've encountered more than one Ivy League grad who can't spell or write for shit.

by Anonymousreply 309/19/2013

R2 You think wrong. "They" is a commonly-used replacement for the sexist generic "he".

by Anonymousreply 409/19/2013

'Tis a shoe!! NO NO! 'Tis a sandal!

by Anonymousreply 509/19/2013

R4 is the only correct answer here.

by Anonymousreply 609/19/2013

English is so fucked-up.

[quote] The Oxford English Corpus (OEC), the Oxford Dictionaries’ database of over 2 billion words of 21st-century English, shows that when it comes to free rein, over 38% of the total instances are for the misspelling free reign.

by Anonymousreply 709/19/2013

"Do you think he or she is a graduate" would be correct. "Do you think that person is a graduate" also would be acceptable.

"Do you think they are a graduate" is not correct -- no matter how commonly used you think it may be.

by Anonymousreply 809/19/2013

Can Boehner rain in his own party?

by Anonymousreply 909/19/2013

Follow the Gourd! The Holy Gourd of Jerusalem!

by Anonymousreply 1009/19/2013

OP - I use to work with a guy who had a simple response to questions like this.

"Where do you come from"

"Why?"

"Because I've always wanted to go visit the land where no one makes mistakes."

by Anonymousreply 1109/19/2013

[quote]"Do you think they are a graduate" is not correct -- no matter how commonly used you think it may be.

Wrong. People are voting with their tongues and pens. English needs neutral third person singular pronouns, and English now has them.

by Anonymousreply 1209/19/2013

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's reigning!

by Anonymousreply 1309/19/2013

LOL @ r13

by Anonymousreply 1409/19/2013

"Who was that on the phone?"

"I don't know - they hung up"

This has been acceptable in English for decades.

by Anonymousreply 1509/19/2013

I guess it says a bunch about Republicans, that this turned into and argument over grammar.

by Anonymousreply 1609/19/2013

[quote]Who does the "typesetting" for CNN? Do you think they are a graduate of a first-tier institution?

I wouldn't lob insults about intelligence if you think "typesetting" has anything to do with television production.

Onscreen graphics, titles and other textual information are up to the show's producer, ultimately. A writer may be directly responsible, or there may be a technician who types the info provided by the writer. It's possible that a technician is responsible for the spelling error, but when I left TV news a few years ago writers were typing the graphics directly from their desktops to air. Everything was automated and the technical staff formerly required were laid off.

by Anonymousreply 1709/19/2013

R8 is right. Common usage does not make an error correct, it just makes it more widespread.

by Anonymousreply 1809/19/2013

The reign in Spain began on 22 November 1975.

by Anonymousreply 1909/19/2013

[quote][R8] is right. Common usage does not make an error correct, it just makes it more widespread.

Thou art full of shyte.

So how does language change? Is there some kind of Central Command that issues an edict?

by Anonymousreply 2009/19/2013

Why was this thread derailed?

by Anonymousreply 2109/19/2013

Because really, what is there left to say about Boner and his problem children.

by Anonymousreply 2209/19/2013

R20, growth & evolution are fine -- change for its own sake serves no purpose. And change that consists only of lowering standards to accept errors is not progress.

by Anonymousreply 2309/19/2013

In language change doesn't need a purpose, but in this case there is a compelling one. It's only "lowering standards" to people who can't tell the difference between an error and an evolution.

by Anonymousreply 2409/19/2013

The reign in Spain falls mainly on the plain.

by Anonymousreply 2509/19/2013

I'm sorry that few of you seem to have got the point and derailed my thread. Standards are vanishing; an individual posting on DL is not that important. The world's foremost television news source is, presumably. Do so many people here really need that spelled out for them? (No pun intended there.)

by Anonymousreply 2609/21/2013

If it were done intentionally, it's actually a pretty funny and clever pun...

Unfortunately, you know the person is an illiterate buffoon.

by Anonymousreply 2709/21/2013

Actually it's a good question whether they meant reign in or rein in.

by Anonymousreply 2809/21/2013

Hmmm. Which is the better question?

Can Boehner...

...rein in men?

...reign in men?

...rain in men?

The answer depends on whether you want to know about his Golden Lasso, his Golden Touch, or his Golden Shower.

by Anonymousreply 2909/21/2013

That settles it. His new name is Princess Boehner.

by Anonymousreply 3009/21/2013

It's reignin' men, hallelujah!

by Anonymousreply 3109/21/2013

It's like a recent headline concerning the country of Irian, referred to something as Irianian

by Anonymousreply 3209/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.