Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #121: "BLUE ROSES FOR A RED LADY" Edition

Cherry's Glass Menagerie! Will Zach Q steal her thunder? Or will it be a triumph for one and all, including Celia K-B?

No More "No More" - Pre-recording begins for Into the Woods, newly-shorn of a few songs. But what will wind up on the cutting-room floor? Will Billy Magnusson and Chris Pine find a Princely bond? Will Meryl's sorcery make her a stunning transformed Witch, or will it all be make-up and CGI?

Meanwhile, over at NBC: Audra goes Austrian! Chris Borle plays plays amazingly against type as the clever, gay Max! Laura Benanti - can she sing "How Can Love Survive?" when she knows it can't, at least for her?

Big Fish - will critics fry it?

No Tweets from Cheyenne - Is Broadway's "Bad Boy" waiting for "it" to blow over?

Manhattan Mary! Great Lady! The Day Before Spring!

Quick, before it melts ...

by Anonymousreply 60009/30/2013

Kate Mulgrew is a pro-life activist and proud of it!

by Anonymousreply 109/19/2013

Kathleen Chalfant would have so much better as Miss Hannigan.

by Anonymousreply 209/19/2013

Big mystery. The dissing of Bierko as Trunchbull has been quietly removed from Broadway World. Hmm. And that's not even Miner being a Major. #121 is off to a good start.

by Anonymousreply 309/19/2013

I'm glad "No More" is no more. "ITW" already is too ballad-heavy and morose in Act Two, and now these filmmakers have the good sense to delete that unintentional showstopper from the movie. It's not the worst song written, far from it, but where it falls in the show, often lethal.

But if that news depresses you, go see "Mr. Burns" at Playwrights Horizons, the insanely overrated snob hit of the season thus far, and there you can endure an entire third act of somber, depressing songs, one after another.

by Anonymousreply 409/19/2013

Reading the message board posts about GLASS MENAGERIE is hilarious. People are trying to come up with new superlatives to describe it.

by Anonymousreply 509/19/2013

Agree about Mr. Burns. I loved the concept but thought its realization was tedious at best. Wonder if audiences are perking up now that Brantley and Cote have blessed it. The night I saw it the boredom was palpable.

by Anonymousreply 609/19/2013

It looks pretty certain that the first two huge flops of the season will be Romeo and Juliet and Big Fish.

What's happening with Honeymoon in Vegas at Paper Mill? Aren't they in previews yet? That kind of has flop written all over it, too.

by Anonymousreply 709/19/2013

What's next at the Palace after Lapine's crapfest closes?

by Anonymousreply 809/19/2013

[quote]the first two huge flops of the season will be Romeo and Juliet and Big Fish.

Someone get me Terry McNally on the line, stat!

by Anonymousreply 909/19/2013

[quote] Laura Benanti - can she sing "How Can Love Survive?" when she knows it can't, at least for her?

Imma cut u, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1009/19/2013

no gossip, just to get this in my thread watcher.

by Anonymousreply 1109/19/2013

you know you can just click the star to add to your thread watcher, don't you r12

by Anonymousreply 1209/19/2013

[quote]What's next at the Palace after Lapine's crapfest closes?

Jeffrey Richards is going to transfer MR. BURNS there. To accommodate the larger space, they'll add more Springfield citizens to the story and double the cast. In true Civilians form, none of them will be able to sing. To avoid attracting the wrong sort of audience, they won't sell tickets to anyone who doesn't have a 11211 zip code.

by Anonymousreply 1309/19/2013

Karen Olivo's pottery collection is now for sale on Etsy.

I wish I were kidding.

by Anonymousreply 1409/19/2013

Did she at least get a taste of the timid McDonald cock?

by Anonymousreply 1509/19/2013

Karen Olivo's "one of a kind" pottery now for sale...

...with VERY detailed descriptions!

by Anonymousreply 1709/19/2013

I originally read "pottery" as "poetry". I was expecting some awful verse.

by Anonymousreply 1809/19/2013

Nope, didn't know, r13. Thanks for the tip.

by Anonymousreply 1909/19/2013

In response to the poster in the previous theatre thread who inquired about Cherry Jones' character voice in "Menagerie"...

There. Are. No. Words.

I went back to listen to Hyacinth Bucket on youtube, and I withdraw that claim. Hyacinth Bucket actually PROJECTS.

It's like she's doing Eleanor Roosevelt with a gooey Mississippi dowager accent. Every single fucking line is tossed into the back of her throat with the force of a Mack Truck. You can't fucking HEAR her half the time.

She seems to have some really lovely moments, but it's so fucking hard to tell because of that psychotic character voice.

And yeah, she's clearly channelling Blanche du Bois at points. In a good way, though. She came out in the 2nd act like Blanche escaping from the looney bin.

Quinto is great, and the lady playing Laura is FABULOUS. Amazing power with no effort.

by Anonymousreply 2009/19/2013

That was no lady, that was my sis!!

by Anonymousreply 2109/19/2013

Ben Brantley did not give Romeo and Juliet the review it deserved. He almost sort of liked it; he even liked Orlando Bloom.

by Anonymousreply 2209/19/2013

Of course Brantley loved Orlando Bloom, he's a complete and utter star-fucker!

by Anonymousreply 2309/19/2013

Is ITW the reason Lila Crawford left Annie? She didn't seem to sad about leaving. Oh wait.. why would anyone feel sad about leaving Annie?

by Anonymousreply 2409/19/2013

My nephew's wife is Big Fish stage manager so it Will NOT FLOP!

by Anonymousreply 2509/19/2013

Are Karen Olivo's pottery pieces all based on her unfulfilled fantasy of fellating Will Swenson's penis?

by Anonymousreply 2609/20/2013

So Annie is now a contemporary little girl? And she's an orphan who rides a npmidern, high-tech bike?

by Anonymousreply 2809/20/2013

Mr Burns was the most exciting night in the theatre I've had in recent memory.You bitches be crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2909/20/2013

Hip Hop ANNIE. This won't end well.

by Anonymousreply 3009/20/2013

[quote]Karen Olivo's pottery collection is now for sale on Etsy. I wish I were kidding.

Why the snark? You think selling artwork is beneath you?

by Anonymousreply 3109/20/2013

R30,

Really?

Most exciting night in recent memory? Are your memories rather short these days?

Forget the snark. Would actually love to know why you liked it so much.

The first act felt like 40 minutes of almost solid exposition. So as much as I can respect the ambitions of the piece, and the strong performances, I found that aspect incredibly off-putting. I liked the second act the most, and might have enjoyed the third act more if it weren't so damn overlong.

by Anonymousreply 3209/20/2013

Gay Theaters Now Struggle to Evolve:

by Anonymousreply 3309/20/2013

Cherry was doing Meryl doing Julia Child. My heart did not stop, I was not devastated, I did not need to seek medical help

by Anonymousreply 3409/20/2013

So this production isn't Cherry at her best, I take it. What compelled the Times [don't remember if it was Isherwood or Brantley] to rave it into being on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 3509/20/2013

"I’ve developed a lot of respect for Juliet’s perceptiveness in recent years, especially after seeing Lauren Ambrose’s smart and spirited interpretation for Shakespeare in the Park in 2007. In that version, directed by Michael Greif, it was clear that in this star-crossed relationship, it was the girl who was the mature one."

How can the Times keep employed a theater critic who comes, in late middle age, to the sort of conclusions common to students in undergraduate Shakespeare courses?

by Anonymousreply 3609/20/2013

I just think r37 without getting into anyone's deficiencies, that Brantley has had the top job JUST TOO FUCKING LONG, what has it been 20+ years?

Same thing with Isherwood, not there as long as Brantley but they need to get some fresh perspectives at the times.

by Anonymousreply 3709/20/2013

Yippee

by Anonymousreply 3809/20/2013

Brantley is the definition of a half-bright. Always has been, always will be.

OTOH, he may be exactly the caliber of critic that this era deserves. Which is tragic.

by Anonymousreply 3909/20/2013

It's a given that Cherry Jones is a fabulous actress. She might be doing some brilliant acting onstage - she definitely seems to have her moments - but they're so damn hard to enjoy in the face of that goddamn character voice.

I really can't comprehend why nobody in that production hasn't expressed concern to Ms. Jones.

by Anonymousreply 4009/20/2013

My take on Jones' performance is that she's playing the Amanda that Tom remembers: overbearing and obnoxious and almost a caricature. He says early on the only "real" person onstage is the Gentleman Caller. So the exaggerations make sense to me in this context. Whether or not the mannerisms work for you is another matter.

by Anonymousreply 4109/20/2013

I think in spite of Cherry's unfortunate choice of character voice, the production as a whole is very much worth seeing.

Several of the directorial, acting and design choices may be controversial but they almost make the play even more thought-provoking.

And don't sit too close! The set floor has an amazing effect that can't be seen in the first 6 rows. Probably even better seen from the mezz.

by Anonymousreply 4209/20/2013

it seems like Cherry is making the choice to play the affluent Southern matron that she never became--which might be effective in the scene with the GC-and her phone solicitations but an an overall choice does not work and is distracting in its phoneyness

by Anonymousreply 4309/20/2013

Mr Burns really is a joke, right? Who would think this is entertaining? It's creepy and not in a good way. It looks like it had a $1.25 budget.

by Anonymousreply 4409/20/2013

But is it because we know what Cherry normally sounds like? Would she be convincing if we'd never seen her before?

by Anonymousreply 4509/20/2013

is she drinking?

by Anonymousreply 4609/20/2013

"How Can Love Survive" will survive. "There's No Way To Stop It" will be stopped. The former will survive because this is a live telecast, after all, and those little brats will need time to go tinkle and do a wardrobe change. The latter will be stopped because it's shite and they don't want Max to come across even vaguely like a Nazi sympathizer. Don't question me.

by Anonymousreply 4709/20/2013

That's not what R&H says - the only cut song will be Ordinary Couple.

by Anonymousreply 4809/20/2013

R48 I hate that "No Way to Stop It" will be cut. It's one of my favorite songs from the show.

by Anonymousreply 4909/20/2013

So who will play the leads in the stage adaptation of Fatal Attraction in London next spring?

by Anonymousreply 5209/20/2013

R50, don't listen to r48, he's full of shit. "No Way to Stop It" isn't being cut. One of the major reasons for doing this is to acquaint people with the show you'll actually get if someone does it. Although they let you rent "Confidence" and "Something Good," that's it. And people are always doing their own illegal rewrites to make it more like the movie - Favorite things in the bedroom, etc.

Since the Libday and Crouse families put a kaibosh on allowing rentals of the Susan Lesby Schulman production, they can only rent the original and the Yeo movie songs (and Confidence doesn't easily fit the stage script) - so this is a way to make the original more familiar.

by Anonymousreply 5309/20/2013

The idea of a Fatal Attraction stage show is bad, especially if it's like some of the other London film-to-stage productions that have basically tried to throw a screenplay onto the stage. FA is all about atmosphere, camera angles, music. Onstage it could just come across as incredibly tacky.

Strangers on a Train, on the other hand, could be marvellous.

by Anonymousreply 5409/21/2013

Thanks R54

by Anonymousreply 5509/21/2013

R53- I nominate Catherine Zeta-Jones and Len Cariou, just to keep a family line running.

by Anonymousreply 5609/21/2013

So Stritchie is drinking again(still), diabetic, falling down a lot, confined to a wheelchair because of a broken hip and a broken pelvis, and sleeping until 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Looks like the amputations should be starting real soon.

Doesn't she have a damned caretaker??

by Anonymousreply 5709/21/2013

Stritch is Stritch. How anyone would consider hiring her for a real role in Three Tall Women is beyond me, as it would be beyond Elaine's memory at this point. That's a real role, as opposed to the basic cameo that is Mme. Armfeldt.

by Anonymousreply 5809/21/2013

Saw Kinky Boots last night. Lotta fun, and a real feel good show. Am I the only one who wanted to scream by the end of Act 1 if I heard the word "Shoe" or"Boot" one more time, both in the text and in the songs? Never have I wanted a hint of subplot more. I was also surprised that Stark Sands got the last bow. He was very good indeed, and in some senses it is his show, but Porter knocked the place on its ears with his entire performance. I guess Sands has the bigger and/or tougher agent.

by Anonymousreply 5909/21/2013

Interesting that AnnaLeigh Ashford and Helene York bared their breasts in that HBO series MASTERS OF SEX. Both of them played Glinda in WICKED. Did AnnaLeigh at least cover up her trashy arm tattoo?

by Anonymousreply 6009/21/2013

Yes, it's a period piece (1950s), so there were no tattoos on display. It's the first episode, and it's online. Showtime released it online earlier.

There are a couple of naked men (no penises), too, but don't know if they're Broadway-related. One, Teddy Sears, is a tall, blond hunk - hope he shows more as the series progresses.

by Anonymousreply 6109/21/2013

[quote] Interesting that AnnaLeigh Ashford and Helene York bared their breasts in that HBO series MASTERS OF SEX.

It's a Showtime series, not HBO.

by Anonymousreply 6209/21/2013

Speaking of Stephen Sondheim, does anyone recall a novel that had a character clearly based on him? It was a long time ago, the book was a mass-market paperback original, and it featured four a clef figures. One, I think, was supposed to be Barbra Streisand. Two others were...I forget. But one was definitely crafted to appear to be Sondheim. Anyone know the author and title?

by Anonymousreply 6309/21/2013

Teddy Sears is a hot hunk who played Zach Quinto's bf in the first season of American Horror Story.

Speaking of Zach, did anyone else find a huge homoerotic vibe between Tom and the GC in this production of Menagerie?

by Anonymousreply 6409/21/2013

[quote] I guess Sands has the bigger and/or tougher agent.

No he is the lead character, and in the movie too.

by Anonymousreply 6509/21/2013

R65. Saw Glass Menagerie this afternoon. Didn't feel the homoeroticism between the two, but Zach walked away with the show. He's a terrific actor and a gifted physical presence as well. Cherry wasn't exactly a fluttery and lacy Amanda, but I thought she worked wonderfully. Anyone who hires Cherry because she can be light in her loafers is nuts. A lovely production of one of the 10 greatest 20th century plays.

by Anonymousreply 6609/21/2013

Who else is going to the Broadway Flea Market tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 6709/21/2013

Teddy Sears was also on 666 Park Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 6809/21/2013

R68. Bet mlop will be there. Sort of one of the biggest stars of the afternoon, no doubt!

by Anonymousreply 6909/21/2013

Honey, NOBODY watched 666 Park Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 7009/21/2013

If Bobby Steggert does not receive a Tony nomination for Big Fish, then there is no justice.

by Anonymousreply 7109/21/2013

But everyone says the character Bobby plays in Big Fish is a big turnoff, and Tony voters don't like to nominate whiners. By then Big Fish will be history, anyway. There are too many seats in the Neil Simon to fill every night for a so-so show with only Norbert Leo huffing and puffing his way through the chorus every night.

by Anonymousreply 7209/21/2013

MR BURNS -- incompreHENsible to me after the first scene. And AGAIN that actor with the hair lip/speech impediment.

I thought Quinto was the weakest link (he didn't have a true moment all evening) and those "Look at me" touches imposed by the director irritated the hell out of me. If any script cried out for the delicate, humane touch of horse-hung David Cromer . . .

by Anonymousreply 7309/21/2013

[quote]And AGAIN that actor with the hair lip/speech impediment.

oh, dear!

(but I agree)

by Anonymousreply 7409/21/2013

Uh, I forget why we're referencing Teddy Sears. Is he coming on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 7509/21/2013

R76- He's probably coming on somebody.

by Anonymousreply 7609/22/2013

Tennessee wanted there to be a homoerotic vibe between Tom and the gentleman caller, because Tennessee had a major crush on the co-worker he based him on. This, according to the gentleman himself, who, in the 60's, was a professor at a NJ college.

by Anonymousreply 7709/22/2013

He's doing nudie work with Helene York and Annaleigh Ashford, so he's one degree of separation away from Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 7809/22/2013

he's in the HBO drama the Wicked girls are in r76

by Anonymousreply 7909/22/2013

I picked up on the homoerotic vibe. My husband even thought that Tom was bringing his boyfriend home to meet his mother and not Laura.

by Anonymousreply 8009/22/2013

It does make sense that Tom would be attracted to Jim. Has this never been brought out before?

by Anonymousreply 8109/22/2013

Yes, Dallas, at the Provincetown Playhouse.

by Anonymousreply 8209/22/2013

Let's face facts. There is no engagement, there is no fiance. I think Sam Waterston played that subtext very well back in the 70's. Jim came home as a favor to Tom. He's just not into the female sex.

by Anonymousreply 8309/22/2013

Interesting interpretation, r84. WONK!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8409/22/2013

I've seen it played that way, I think it was back at the McCarter in the late 80's or early 90's. Emily Mann's production was a train wreck. Dylan McDermott played Tom as Tennessee WIlliams, all limp wristed and lispy, Shirley Knight was an abomination, Judy Kuhn only came alive in that beautiful scene with Jim, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen the actor who played the Gentleman Caller again. He was glorious. He was soulful. and graceful, but when it came down to brass tacks, it was obvious there was no fiance and he certainly wasn't about to get married. It's a valid interpretation, and he played it magnificently.

But I'm sure it wasn't Emily Mann's idea.

by Anonymousreply 8509/22/2013

Sorry, it was Michael Moriarity who played Jim, Sam Waterston played Tom. But Moriarity brought out the non-committal sexuality of the character.

by Anonymousreply 8609/22/2013

So both men in the play are gay r84? That seems far-fetched

by Anonymousreply 8709/22/2013

I think the David Leveaux/Jessica Lange version got a bad wrap...and Josh Lucas was hot.

by Anonymousreply 8809/22/2013

No, it didn't, R89. David Leveaux can't direct traffic, as evidenced by his MENAGERIE, his CYRANO, his NINE & now his R&J - and look how he shit all over FIDDLER. Why he keeps getting work astounds me - in London he was dismissed years ago. He got lucky with ANNA CHRISTIE in NY because of the chemistry between Natasha Richardson and Liam Neeson and has been riding that for years.

His MENAGERIE was mannered and boring, and the clearly incestuous relationship between Christian Slater's Tom and Sarah Paulson's Laura was obvious and frankly, disgusting. Lucas was hot but a piece of wood.

by Anonymousreply 8909/22/2013

R88-Tennessee would have adored you.

by Anonymousreply 9009/22/2013

Howard McGillin got married (again!) this week. To a man this time - but not to the chorus boy he was fucking when he first came out years ago, or any of the other twinks that used to hang around his dressing room in the 10 years he played the Phantom.

Interestingly, the man Howard married used to fuck NJ Gov. Jim McGreevey back in the day when they were both in Trenton.

by Anonymousreply 9109/22/2013

That's a whole lotta gayface there, R92.

Good for Howard. Is he really only 59? He looks okay, but I have seen him in film & TV from about 30 years ago when he was seriously HOT. I wonder if he regrets going the music theatre route as opposed to a cushy TV job.

by Anonymousreply 9209/22/2013

Glenn Close: “I might be coming back to Broadway, oh, in the not-too-distant future”

Helen Sinclair, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 9309/22/2013

Wouldn't that just burn Patti LuPone's ass to the bone?

First, she loses Norma on Broadway to Glenn.

Then, 20+ years later, she auditions for this part and doesn't get it and it goes to - Glenn!

Patti will need a strait-jacket!

by Anonymousreply 9409/22/2013

Patti LuPone is far too heavy to play Helen Sinclair!

by Anonymousreply 9509/22/2013

Could Close be Schneider in Cabaret? Singers without strong voices can get away with that. But it's a bit of a small part for someone like her.

by Anonymousreply 9609/22/2013

Not to turn this into a FOLLIES thread or anything, but why has Chita Rivera never been one of the Sondheim ladies (ouside of WSS)? She could have been great as the Witch or as Carlotta, or even Stella Deems.

by Anonymousreply 9709/22/2013

I know, R98! So ridic she hasn't done classics like WEST SIDE STORY or IN THE HEIGHTS either. That bitch needs to up her game already like damn.

by Anonymousreply 9809/22/2013

What, no reports from the Broadway Flea Market yet? Is Cheyenne selling "director's cut" DVDs of you-know-what? Is it too chilly for Raul to wear flip-flops?

by Anonymousreply 9909/22/2013

R100. Bobby Steggert will do all of those things and more! I've heard he's already bored with his non part in Stinky Fish.

by Anonymousreply 10009/22/2013

What the hell are they building in front of the Good Morning America studios? They've closed off the street and they are doing their outdoor stuff down the street by Toys R Us.

by Anonymousreply 10109/22/2013

R102. And that is what form of theatrical gossip?

by Anonymousreply 10209/22/2013

"patina ‏@patinamiller

On another intermission note...Sad to say goodbye to our Andrea Martin today....we are sure gonna miss her."

I did not realize Andrea Martin was leaving that soon!

by Anonymousreply 10309/22/2013

Great times at the flea market. Karen Mason was at the autogrape tab1e signing away. Good to see her. Lots of stars thre. I saw Patena, AnnaLeigh, there went Raul and friends David Chase who I know and talked to, Joel Grey was there Stephanie Block who has Sunshine the musical coming up, fans everywhere Becky Luker who is always so warmed and sweet when she sees me coming. Perfect day an+d a wonderful cause Cheers to all! Maryann

by Anonymousreply 10409/22/2013

mlop, will you please SHUT THE FUCK UP. You know NONE of these people and they could care less about you and your dreadful wardrobe.

by Anonymousreply 10509/22/2013

Cheyenne was there . . . wearing an Anthony Weiner mask.

by Anonymousreply 10609/22/2013

[quote] I wonder if he regrets going the music theatre route as opposed to a cushy TV job.

If he had trouble coming out while acting on Broadway, imagine what he'd be up against if he was a screen actor

by Anonymousreply 10709/22/2013

Loved the Michael Moriarty and Sam Waterston production. They had good chemistry. I did think it was a little homoerotic also.

I wonder if they ever talked about L&O after they had both played ADAs. Of course Moriarty was a little nuts when he left.

by Anonymousreply 10809/22/2013

seriously R107?

by Anonymousreply 10909/22/2013

All the Broadway Wrold girls are moaning about how expensive all the stupid merchandising crap is this year. "Even though it's for charity," several moaned, "I can't afford to pay $1 for a Portofino mug or $2 for a God and Kate Murphy key chain." What a colossal bunch of losers.

by Anonymousreply 11009/22/2013

OMG if she ruined YESTERDAY.....what is she going to do with the Sound Of Music songs?

by Anonymousreply 11109/22/2013

"She" being CARRIE FING UNDERWOOD

by Anonymousreply 11209/22/2013

Well, at least she can yodel The Lonely Goatherd.

by Anonymousreply 11309/22/2013

Not to turn this into a FOLLIES thread or anything, but why has Chita Rivera never been one of the Sondheim ladies (ouside of WSS)? She could have been great as the Witch or as Carlotta, or even Stella Deems.

I believe this was r98. She was offered Carlotta in the London FOLLIES ('87). She turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 11409/22/2013

r86 I've seen it played that way, I think it was back at the McCarter in the late 80's or early 90's. Emily Mann's production was a train wreck. Dylan McDermott played Tom as Tennessee WIlliams, all limp wristed and lispy, Shirley Knight was an abomination, Judy Kuhn only came alive in that beautiful scene with Jim, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen the actor who played the Gentleman Caller again. He was glorious. He was soulful. and graceful, but when it came down to brass tacks, it was obvious there was no fiance and he certainly wasn't about to get married. It's a valid interpretation, and he played it magnificently.

His name was Jeff Wetherford. He was extremely talented, appealing, handsome and he did kind of disappear.

by Anonymousreply 11509/22/2013

Emily has that effect on actors r116.

by Anonymousreply 11609/22/2013

So can someone answer the question about whether anyone was in flip-flops at the Flea Market?

by Anonymousreply 11709/22/2013

R111: if I'd known someone was selling a PORTOFINO mug, I would've gone.

by Anonymousreply 11809/23/2013

THE WINSLOW BOY is in amazing shape for a show that just started previews. One of the better Rattigan plays.

Of course, Alessendro Nivola is sex on a stick, even though he's in formal wear all night.

by Anonymousreply 11909/23/2013

[quote] I believe this was [R98]. She was offered Carlotta in the London FOLLIES ('87). She turned it down.

[quote] by: I was around the production

What was Dolores Gray like?

by Anonymousreply 12009/23/2013

[quote]OMG if she ruined YESTERDAY.....what is she going to do with the Sound Of Music songs?

Calm down Becky. It's a three hour entrainment program. No matter how it turns out, life will go on.

by Anonymousreply 12109/23/2013

I've tipped the MD to play Maria's numbers in June Bronhill's keys on the night. Shhhhh!

by Anonymousreply 12209/23/2013

[quote]Calm down Becky. It's a three hour entrainment program. No matter how it turns out, life will go on.

Minus the typo, this should be R1 in each every theatre thread from here on out.

by Anonymousreply 12309/23/2013

[quote] Minus the typo, this should be [R1] in each every theatre thread from here on out.

Ha ha

by Anonymousreply 12409/23/2013

Dolores Gray was just fine as Carlotta in London. Not much of a team player, but that's not what her song is all about!

by Anonymousreply 12509/23/2013

r126

Did you see her when she had to share the part with her understudy?

by Anonymousreply 12609/23/2013

What's the story with McGillin? Did he cheat with chorus boys since the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 12709/23/2013

The name of that book that someone was looking for, that featured a Sondheim-like character is "Starring," written by James Fritzhand. Amazon has copies available.....

by Anonymousreply 12809/23/2013

Thank you, [R129]. I knew someone here would know.

by Anonymousreply 12909/23/2013

R127. Don't know what you're talking about. Share the role? You mean Dolores sang and understudy acted? Dolores did it all the night I went. Don't get what you're going on about!

by Anonymousreply 13009/23/2013

r110 you're pathetic

by Anonymousreply 13109/23/2013

Good God. Seriously. Enough with Follies. It's done. Over. And not that good a show. What is with you people?

by Anonymousreply 13209/23/2013

On the red carpet Carrie Underwood was asked about The Sound of Music. She said she's moving to NYC for a few months. So it will actually be telecast live from here and not LA? From a theater?

Ryan Seacrest said something like "You've seen the movie a lot, huh?" and she replied "But this is the musical version." Oh, dear. Not the brightest dirndl on the rack.

by Anonymousreply 13309/23/2013

"Glenn Close: “I might be coming back to Broadway, oh, in the not-too-distant future”

Helen Sinclair, perhaps?"

They're considering a full Broadway production of the one-night Pirates of Penzance benefit that the Public did this summer at the Delacorte in which Close played Ruth, so I think that's what she's referring to.

by Anonymousreply 13409/23/2013

Did someone say Follies?

by Anonymousreply 13509/23/2013

[quote]Ryan Seacrest said something like "You've seen the movie a lot, huh?" and she replied "But this is the musical version." Oh, dear. Not the brightest dirndl on the rack.

I think she meant the STAGE musical version. I believe that she was trying say that it was not going to be the movie version.

by Anonymousreply 13609/23/2013

Buy my pottery, peoples!

by Anonymousreply 13709/23/2013

If they do another revival of Follies in a few years, Karen Olivo will return to the business for it. And then she can learn to dance, peoples. (As long as Jan Maxwell isn't her teacher, though.)

by Anonymousreply 13809/23/2013

This SOM will be much worse than The Music Man.

by Anonymousreply 13909/23/2013

Jan Maxwell looks so worn out. Like she's been run over by a truck.

by Anonymousreply 14009/23/2013

R142. It's hard work hanging on to subsidized housing, although this year it sure looks like she qualifies for a change.

by Anonymousreply 14109/23/2013

What's more tedious for this thread: Sound of Music or yet another wretched Follies discussion? Why doesn't anyone ever want to yak on about 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue or the Liv Ullman I Remember Mama? Better still, Shangri La or Seventh Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 14209/23/2013

I have a kinescope of the Hallmark b&w TV version of the musical SHANGRA LA that came before the Carol Lawrence Broadway vehicle. Helen Gallagher is in it.. It's really bad.

I'll take Tab Hunter in HANS BRINKER, "the television musical spectacular!" over this any day.

by Anonymousreply 14309/23/2013

[quote]This SOM will be much worse than The Music Man.

It's going to be different. The Music Man was a film, SOM will be live theater.

by Anonymousreply 14409/23/2013

Oh, Christ, I just listened to SEVENTH HEAVEN today...what is there to talk about? It's an utter bore! At least HANS BRINKER has Peggy Kind and a decent song or two! But give me FOLLIES any day!

by Anonymousreply 14509/23/2013

Peggy King R147 although I think you made a typo.

by Anonymousreply 14609/23/2013

We're gonna do the SOUND OF MUSIC all live-like! From inside of yer TV sets!

by Anonymousreply 14709/23/2013

I won't be happy until I know who is playing Liesl.

by Anonymousreply 14809/23/2013

[quote]This SOM will be much worse than The Music Man.

Impossible. If Carrie Underwood has a sudden fit of explosive diarrhea during "Lonely Goatherd" and shits all over the children, it will still be preferable to the sights and sounds of Matthew Broderick and Kristin Chenoweth mangling "'Til There Was You".

by Anonymousreply 14909/23/2013

[quote] Don't know what you're talking about. Share the role? You mean Dolores sang and understudy acted? Dolores did it all the night I went. Don't get what you're going on about!

Dolores sustained an injury (not sure if it was leg/foor or hip) that prevented her doing much of the role during that time. I've heard her understudy played the part up until I'm Still Here, when Dolores would be revolved out, perched on a stool to do the number.

by Anonymousreply 15009/23/2013

Laura Osnes and Santino Fontana are doing a benefit at 54 Below tonight. Wish I could be there. Will someone film and bootleg please?

by Anonymousreply 15109/23/2013

Carrie Underwear said at least three times in her brief red carpet interview with Seacrest that she had no idea how she would memorize the lines.

That alone'll make it worth watching. Like the guy walking across the Grand Canyon.

by Anonymousreply 15209/23/2013

Could they possibly have cast Benanti as insurance?

by Anonymousreply 15309/23/2013

I'm Good.

by Anonymousreply 15409/23/2013

Santana Fontino could play Rolf if they dye his hair blond like they did for View from the Bri..oh....right.

by Anonymousreply 15509/23/2013

Rolf is supposed to be 17 and hot, r158, two things that Santino Fontana is NOT!!

by Anonymousreply 15609/23/2013

Derek Hough for Rolf! And he can choreograph his dance.

by Anonymousreply 15709/23/2013

Derek Hough is too simian to be a Nazi's child.

by Anonymousreply 15809/23/2013

Orlando Bloom for Rolf! He's found his niche, playing lovestruck teens!

And I suspect he'll be available soon.

by Anonymousreply 15909/23/2013

[quote]I'm Good.

R157- That's the most adorable final line Osnes has in CINDERELLA.

by Anonymousreply 16009/23/2013

Yes, R138, I'm aware that's what she meant. Still sounded dopey, though.

by Anonymousreply 16109/23/2013

Isn't Rolf cast already with former American Idol contestant Alex Federov?

by Anonymousreply 16209/23/2013

THIS JUST IN ... Broadway icon Christiane Noll cast as Sister Margeretta!

by Anonymousreply 16309/23/2013

They've got it all planned out. If Underwood sucks in rehearsals, she will "develop a bad flu" and be replaced Benanti, while Bernadette Peters will take over the Baroness. A line will be written "Oh, Georg, you don't mind that I'm an older woman, do you?"

The tempo of "How Can Love Survive" will be slowed down to accommodate Bernie's crying.

by Anonymousreply 16409/23/2013

[bold] Tony Nominee Jane Connell, Broadway Great Known for MAME and More, Passes Away [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 16509/23/2013

She's with her darling little Dickie in heaven now.

by Anonymousreply 16609/23/2013

[quote] A line will be written "Oh, Georg, you don't mind that I'm an older woman, do you?"

That won't be necessary. Laura and I both read as 45.

by Anonymousreply 16709/23/2013

I could be in Sound of Music!

No dancing, right?

I'm 16 going on 17, peoples!

by Anonymousreply 16809/23/2013

At the very least you can try and get the producers to feature your pottery around the Von Trapp house, Karen.

by Anonymousreply 16909/23/2013

"I won't be happy until I know who is playing Liesl."'

The modest Miley Cyrus.

And, yes, they are casting standbys for insurance.

by Anonymousreply 17009/23/2013

Just saw Roger Bart in a teeny guest spot on the premier of HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER.

Sad to go in a few years from creating roles on Broadway, costarring with Nicole Kidman, and a recurring role on DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES to Funny Hotel Clerk on HIMYM.

by Anonymousreply 17109/23/2013

Season premieres pay very well and HIMYM is doing well in syndication so he banked a nice fee....you cunty r174 you!

by Anonymousreply 17209/23/2013

R174 OMG was that Roger Bart? I didn't even recognize him. That girl from Once barely registered. Who did she blackmail to get the part?

by Anonymousreply 17309/23/2013

[quote]Who did she blackmail to get the part?

I see what you did there r176!!! Good for you.

by Anonymousreply 17409/23/2013

I have an awful(ly good) feeling that Underwood won't make it. She's nervous. Nerves when you're being filmed on a soundstage are bad enough but in front of a live audience? Nah, not gonna happen. When I first heard Benanti was cast I figured they wanted to keep her closeby just in case.

by Anonymousreply 17509/23/2013

[quote]Nerves when you're being filmed on a soundstage are bad enough but in front of a live audience?

She does concerts, and Maria ain't exactly Medea.

She'll get through it.

by Anonymousreply 17609/23/2013

Oh please r179 - co-hosting the Country Music Awards with Brad Paisley and performing her own crappy music at some Midwestern outdoor theater hardly compares to a rare, LIVE network remake of a cherished family classic involving lines and actual acting.

Even if it is the "Holiday Season", Twitter will light up like the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center with bitter comments by bitchy queens.

Besides, after her disastrous performance last night I would not bet too much on her doing S and M.

by Anonymousreply 17709/23/2013

This almost looks like a parody poster.

by Anonymousreply 17809/23/2013

Underwood will no doubt do a preview of "Do Re Mi" with the kids at the Thanksgiving Day Parade-both are on NBC, you know.

by Anonymousreply 17909/24/2013

[quote]Oh please [R179] - co-hosting the Country Music Awards with Brad Paisley and performing her own crappy music at some Midwestern outdoor theater hardly compares to a rare, LIVE network remake of a cherished family classic involving lines and actual acting.

Oh please, pull the Playbill out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 18009/24/2013

plus that low profile show called American Idol (remember how huge those ratings were back then? and she was unknown and she won)

r180 is like 83 and in a caftan.

by Anonymousreply 18109/24/2013

Carrie Underwood seems like a decent person and compared to many young starlets, she is wholesomeness personified. However why does R183 & R184 think she can pull off this "live cherished family classic", which remains one of the very few classic films to get a regular network showing. (Hence everyone will be familiar with it.)

I wish her the best, but I also think she is going to flop.

by Anonymousreply 18209/24/2013

Rivera as Carlotta. I can actually see that!

Chita Rivera has had an interesting career. I find it odd that she has yet to really headline a show and carry the evening....even though amazing in Spider Woman, other actora carried the book scenes. Alao intesreting that the women who've done her roles to award glory (neuwirth, olivo, zeta-jones) are univerally thought to have been not as good.

by Anonymousreply 18309/24/2013

The most hysterical thing in this thread is how r184 genuinely thinks that American Idol is culture and the height of good taste/talent.

by Anonymousreply 18409/24/2013

I don't think Rita Moreno is universally thought not to have been as good as Anita, r186. Moreno wasn't as good a dancer as Rivera, but her dancing was good enough to be sufficient for a lot of people who don't care so much about dance nuances.

by Anonymousreply 18509/24/2013

Roger Bart's role in HIMYM is recurring - he'll be on all season. The whole season takes place during the wedding weekend, so you'll be seeing a lot of that hotel clerk...

by Anonymousreply 18609/24/2013

Wait I minute here....I agree she'll flop and it will be a terrible show BUT I thought we were debating r178 and whether she will make it through the show due to "nerves."

I agree she'll suck but she won't be too nervous to get through the show (that is what I meant by pointing out she was on Ameican Idol and r187 nobody mentioned culture, good taste or talent---where did you get that from?)

by Anonymousreply 18709/24/2013

Exactly, (R190)

DL was arguing she'll never make it to/through a LIVE network broadcast.

Underwood was great on American Idol. (Yes, I watched it back then). Dealt with everything thrown at her and seemed to learn every week. Sang every style thrown at her quite well.

YES she'll be bland and a bit stiff, but she'll sound fine- if very different from Julie.

I'm sure if DL had been around in 1964-65 we would have been trashing Julie for taking Mary's role and daring to sing soprano in a role for a charming "lite" belter.

by Anonymousreply 18809/24/2013

We progressed in the discussion r190, r191 after seeing her awful performance of Yesterday.

I have no faith in her acting and vocal abilities at all, and being thrown songs of varying styles on American Idol is hardly a qualification for a 3 hour live acting and singing role!

In any case, though I did not originally make the following observation (it was from some other poster) she really does come across as someone who wandered over from a tailgate party, rather than an Austrian convent circa 1930!

by Anonymousreply 18909/24/2013

Christ, nothing as insufferable as a Theater Queen. How dare a person not born in Shubert Ally do theater. You know NOTHING about her. You have no idea if she has been studying in the year since she auditioned and got the role. Once again faceless basement dwellers who only get as close to Broadway is by way of cellphone bootlegs traded online, know better.

by Anonymousreply 19009/24/2013

We may be insufferable, but we know it's Shubert Alley and that a TV special is not theater.

by Anonymousreply 19109/24/2013

Erm, if Underwood's performance of the otherwise poignant Yesterday on the Emmy Awards is any indication she is clearly going to suck great big hairy donkey balls Maria in The Sound of Music.

ANYONE from Smash - including Angelica Houston - would be a better choice.

by Anonymousreply 19209/24/2013

Wesley Taylor for Maria!

by Anonymousreply 19309/24/2013

[quote] rather than an Austrian convent circa 1930!

Who, besides the Maria in an Austraian production, has?

by Anonymousreply 19409/24/2013

The Gooch curse . . .

Peggy Cass, Jane Connell . . .

by Anonymousreply 19509/24/2013

Bet she's better than that Luker woman!

by Anonymousreply 19609/24/2013

Me too R176. That was delicious!!

by Anonymousreply 19709/24/2013

Mary Martin was something of a tailgater herself back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 19809/24/2013

The TV Sound of Music seems a pointless exercise. The movie improves on the stage version in just about every way, and that is before you get to the movie's cast, locations and photography. Why not tackle a popular stage musical with a terrible movie... like Man of La Mancha, Mame or A Chorus Line instead?

by Anonymousreply 19909/24/2013

Because ratings.

by Anonymousreply 20009/24/2013

Wait until the rest of the smaller roles are announced. They are surrounding her with women who would ALL be better as Maria (some have already played it...yes, besides Benanti) than Ms. U.

by Anonymousreply 20109/24/2013

im sure the love performance of SOM will not be their first show--they will prob rehearse it like a real show maybe play a bunch of "previews" for invited audiences before going live on the big night

by Anonymousreply 20209/24/2013

Please no 30 year old Jessica Grove as Liesl.

by Anonymousreply 20309/24/2013

Jen Cody as Liesl. YESSSS!

by Anonymousreply 20409/24/2013

Jen Cody would never betray Broadway by doing television!

by Anonymousreply 20509/24/2013

Rivera carried The Rink. Liza had a big role but it revolved around Chita. And Velma gets as much stage time as Roxie in Chicago with harder songs and dances.

by Anonymousreply 20609/24/2013

She was alone above the title in Dancer's Life, but that was only a limited run, right?

by Anonymousreply 20709/24/2013

R210. Chita's engagement was even more limited than anyone wanted it to be. Just couldn't draw the crowds in!

by Anonymousreply 20809/24/2013

Why is Cinderella tanking so dramatically week after week?

by Anonymousreply 20909/24/2013

Cinderella was marketed as the show for empowering little girls, all of whom now are back in school becoming even more empowered.

Regarding Carrie Underwood, the subtle argument here seems to me all about class. The perception is she is too common for the role or the theater in general (outside of a Fran & Barry Weissler production), whereas non-NYers - American idol fans - feel she will acquit herself nicely.

by Anonymousreply 21009/24/2013

I think the kiddies are going back to school re:Cinderella. I imagine it will pick up soon and be crazy for the holidays. After that it could get scary again. Perhaps La Underwood will come in for boffo box-office?

by Anonymousreply 21109/24/2013

Annie's drops also give a new dimension to tanking.

by Anonymousreply 21209/24/2013

This thread proves one thing: A bunch of flaming, self righteous, pretentious, ignorant, foolish, queenly assholes populate this board.

by Anonymousreply 21309/24/2013

And that's what I love about this board!

by Anonymousreply 21409/24/2013

R217. Languish?

by Anonymousreply 21509/24/2013

R213, I doubt that Ms. Underwood can act and I know she often sings flat. However, I will tune in to see Audra as well as experience what I expect to be a sad train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 21609/24/2013

And you know fit in perfectly r19.

by Anonymousreply 21709/24/2013

Most significant in all this discussion of the upcoming SOM TV event is that no one even states what is most peculiar ---oh, a sign of the times we now live in!---about the production: That viewers will see a Mother Superior in Austria pre-WWII who is ---ahem --not white, but I suppose viewers are to pretend she is white. Well, we'll also pretend that Underwood is the definitive Maria ---right?

by Anonymousreply 21809/24/2013

[quote] no one even states what is most peculiar ---oh, a sign of the times we now live in!---about the production: That viewers will see a Mother Superior in Austria pre-WWII who is ---ahem --not white, but I suppose viewers are to pretend she is white.

Yes. NO ONE mentioned McDonad's skin colour

by Anonymousreply 21909/24/2013

The SOM will not be filmed in front a live audience. I'm very curious how this will come across. Have any of you seen the Rodger's and Hammerstein's Cinderella Television version? There were no audience members.

by Anonymousreply 22009/24/2013

[quote] great big hairy donkey balls

yum, r195

by Anonymousreply 22109/24/2013

The producers of Annie and Spiderman should just throw in the towel. Are they gonna bleed 400,000 a week just to stay open till the holidays with no guarantee of making mega bucks during those 4 weeks? Same goes for Romeo and Juliet....and perhaps Cinderella. I wonder how pissed Faith is playing to only 600 people a night. Talk about golf course applause. First Date and Soul Doctor are doomed. Not s great start to the season.

by Anonymousreply 22209/24/2013

Is Cinderella tanking? I say it last Thursday and it was a full house. Standing ovation too.

by Anonymousreply 22309/24/2013

One thing about SOM is sure: we are ALL going to watch it. Who isn't looking forward to seeing this train wreck? December 5th can't come soon enough!

by Anonymousreply 22409/24/2013

Cindy is bleeding 150,000 a week and played to 53% capacity last week. Romeo must be losing $100,000 a week. Lots of shows will be closing this fall. Hope Chicago beats that pos Cats to take second place in long running shows. It will never pass Phantom but at least an American show will be #2.

by Anonymousreply 22509/24/2013

R223, are you certain it won't be in front of a live audience? I haven't seen it reported anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 22609/24/2013

I bet it's live on tape.

by Anonymousreply 22709/24/2013

"Why not tackle a popular stage musical with a terrible movie... like Man of La Mancha, Mame or A Chorus Line instead?"

Exactly. THE WIZ has also been mentioned as a candidate for a TV version, and I think that would get excellent ratings if it were well done.

by Anonymousreply 22809/24/2013

Another suggestion: CABARET using all the stage songs and the original libretto. As good as the movie is, I'd like to see a production that used the original script and characters.

by Anonymousreply 22909/24/2013

any pics from last night Nick Adam in underwear on stage?

by Anonymousreply 23009/24/2013

R225. I get the feeling Faith is delighted to have some kind of steady paycheck coming in and won't be thrilled when the show closes (in October?).

by Anonymousreply 23109/24/2013

Recently watched A CHORUS LINE: THE MOVIE, which I had not seen since its release. Way way worse than I had remembered. Poor poor Cassie, wandering around backstage for 3/4 of the movie, and then that song. Possibly the most misconceived musical adaptation of all time.

by Anonymousreply 23209/24/2013

Going for a long weekend next month to see a few plays-each year there seems like fewer good choices. Other than Pippin is there anything worth seeing anyone could suggest? Already done The Book of Mormon and I don't want to see anything that was originally a movie, with the possible exception of kinky boots-anybody recommend that? How aboutMotown-does the book suck so much that it outweighs the music? Tia.

by Anonymousreply 23309/24/2013

Matt Doyle does look cute in his skivvies... and kinda funny....

How tall is he_

by Anonymousreply 23409/24/2013

Wicked may have lower grosses now yet it's still selling at least a million and a half a week. I guess the school girls haven't abandoned that one yet.

by Anonymousreply 23509/24/2013

R236. Kinky Boots is fun, likeable if not quite lovable, and has a dynamite turn by Billy Porter and an only slightly less dazzling performance by the oddly named Stark Sands. A real audience pleaser and a welcome feel-good evening.

by Anonymousreply 23709/24/2013

[quote]Christ, nothing as insufferable as a Theater Queen.

One thing is, R193: you. You don't get to write that 'basement dweller' rant and then talk about other people's delusional superiority.

And her version of "Yesterday" sucked, so it's not surprising people who care about musical quality might be doubting her ability to pull off one of the bigger musical heroine roles.

by Anonymousreply 23809/24/2013

"How about Motown-does the book suck so much that it outweighs the music?"

Pretty much. Another issue is that almost all of the songs are truncated (the repeats are cut out). Very annoying.

by Anonymousreply 23909/24/2013

None of you have ever seen my Hedda Gabler, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 24009/24/2013

[quote]And her version of "Yesterday" sucked, so it's not surprising people who care about musical quality might be doubting her ability to pull off one of the bigger musical heroine roles.

And Neil Patrick Harris sucked too and he's been wonderful in theater for years. A person of intelligence does not define a performer's career on one performance.

by Anonymousreply 24109/24/2013

[quote] Another issue is that almost all of the songs are truncated (the repeats are cut out). Very annoying.

"Diana Ross" doesn't get to do her 6 minute Ain't No Mountain High Enough?!

by Anonymousreply 24209/24/2013

Where has Neil Patrick Harris "been wonderful in theater for years?"

by Anonymousreply 24309/24/2013

Is the Sting musical any good?

by Anonymousreply 24409/24/2013

If you enjoy Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, you'll love Motown.

The show is basically a 2 hour old-fashioned variety show of Motown's biggest hits sung by mostly very minor talents dressed and wigged up to look like the originals.

by Anonymousreply 24509/24/2013

[quote]Where has Neil Patrick Harris "been wonderful in theater for years?"

Assassins, The Paris Letter in LA, tick tick boom in London

Didn't see them but he got good notices for Cabaret, Rent and All My Sons in LA too

by Anonymousreply 24609/24/2013

I'll give you Assassins r249

by Anonymousreply 24709/24/2013

[quote] Where has Neil Patrick Harris "been wonderful in theater for years?"

When he dresses the kids up, he puts on the most darling shows. Though I must give a shoutout to David and the kids for their "Three Little Maids From School" in the last one.

by Anonymousreply 24809/24/2013

In KILLERS AND OTHER FAMILY in the Rattlestick's Lucy Thurber HILL TOWN PLAYS series - are you supposed to sit house left or house right to get a glimpse of Shane McRae's cock?

Also in WHERE WE'RE BORN in the same series, I heard Christopher ("Girls") Abbott is in underwear. Is it underwear tight enough to show Visible Penis Line? I have a crush on him but I'm only interested in going if I get to see the outline of his cock.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 24909/24/2013

house left. Hot body, I only saw the balls, no penis.

I was in last row for Christopher Abbot's underwear scene, but it didn't seem to be much there.

by Anonymousreply 25009/24/2013

Matt Doyle is amazing!! But no VPL.

by Anonymousreply 25109/24/2013

"he's been wonderful in theater for years."

Even though you forgot his biggest "theatrical" role, COMPANY with the NY Philharmonic and a solid supporting cast, the only response is NO, JUST NO.

by Anonymousreply 25209/25/2013

r255=Max Von Essen

by Anonymousreply 25309/25/2013

Who is Matt Doyle fucking these days?

by Anonymousreply 25409/25/2013

Did we ever get an answer to who are the new inspired composers/lyricists/directors on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 25509/25/2013

What's up with Matt Doyle's accent? Theatrical affectation or has he gone full Madonna?

by Anonymousreply 25609/25/2013

Matt and Ryan Steele are boyfriends. I have a hard time thinking Matt is the top, he's Disney character cute.

But he is adorable in his skivvies.

by Anonymousreply 25709/25/2013

I love the medley.

by Anonymousreply 25809/25/2013

"Neil Patrick Harris has been wonderful in theater guys for years."

Now, that I can support.

by Anonymousreply 25909/25/2013

[quote]Did we ever get an answer to who are the new inspired composers/lyricists/directors on Broadway?

Silence can speak volumes.

by Anonymousreply 26009/25/2013

Love the eye fucking between Matt Doyle and Wesley Taylor in this clip.

by Anonymousreply 26109/25/2013

I like the A CHORUS LINE movie. Let me DANCE for you!

by Anonymousreply 26209/25/2013

Were a lot of people divided about "Music And The Mirror" or did Attenborough just not like it? I'm not a CHORUS LINE uberfan but I though it was one of the most iconic numbers from the show, no?

by Anonymousreply 26309/25/2013

Saw The Winslow Boy last night. It's a shame about Alessandro Nivola's receding hairline, he used to be hot. Roger Rees is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 26409/25/2013

I love the name Alessandro Nivola. He's never made much of an impression on me, though.

by Anonymousreply 26509/25/2013

I don't understand the need for a televised version of the stage version of Sound of Music. Isn't it pretty much agreed that the film surpasses the stage show?

by Anonymousreply 26609/25/2013

I'm surprised they didn't get Julie Andrews to play the Mother Abbess.

by Anonymousreply 26709/25/2013

Did anyone else see how confused and disoriented Diahann Carroll looked at the Emmys? I can't quite imagine how she's going to do Raisin every night. She looked absolutely lost.

by Anonymousreply 26809/25/2013

So Bobby Steggert is now out. Who's seen him naked? I've seen him on Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 26909/25/2013

r272

Does he use his headshot?

by Anonymousreply 27009/25/2013

The only notes Julie can hit these days are the braying of the goat in the puppet show. she hasn't had a voice for years.

by Anonymousreply 27109/25/2013

My nut tells me that the Marquis is a home for flop shows.

by Anonymousreply 27209/25/2013

so why after doing on with no rehearsal is Stephanie Pope now out of Pippin and in the ensemble of Chicago> (doubly weird since she played Velma on Bway)

by Anonymousreply 27309/25/2013

All the ATC loonies are worried about what's going in to the Marquis after Il Divo. Don't I recall a Nov/Dec engagement of the new Shady Pines duo Minnelli and Cumming? Or was I having a nightmare? Or several senior moments at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 27409/25/2013

r233 pics of Nick Adams in underwear aren't hard to cum by

by Anonymousreply 27509/25/2013

Diahann probably thought she was at the Tony Awards.

by Anonymousreply 27609/25/2013

[quote] The only notes Julie can hit these days are the braying of the goat in the puppet show. she hasn't had a voice for years.

I can sing behind the curtain and she can mime to my voice!

by Anonymousreply 27709/25/2013

r276

You went to see CHICAGO? Did you have out-of-town relatives to entertain?

by Anonymousreply 27809/25/2013

R281. No, I wanted to see new and much-needed new seats in the hideous Ambassador Theater. As well as Maxwell Caulfield.

by Anonymousreply 27909/25/2013

R250, said "I'll give you Assassins"

That was 9 years ago, 2004. It will be 10 years between Broadway roles.

He's not a Broadway staple. He's over rated and over exposed by far.

by Anonymousreply 28009/25/2013

Toni Braxton is gonna be in the Cotton Club thing for 2 weeks--6 months from now and they are announcing it now?

by Anonymousreply 28109/25/2013

Frankly-Im a little tired of NPH-talented enough guy but not extraordinary and totally overexplosed

by Anonymousreply 28209/25/2013

I like NPH but I haven't been attracted by his projects (Smurfs, Harold & Kumar, HIMYM). He's pretty easy to avoid unless you're obsessed with talk/award shows.

by Anonymousreply 28309/25/2013

Photos on the YALE REP website of the Joe Manganiello STREETCAR. Never thought I'd say this, but I think he's too good looking for Stanley.

by Anonymousreply 28409/25/2013

Diahann Carroll was supposed to be in the black ON GOLDEN POND but was replaced after the DC run by Leslie (huckin' the bejeebers) Uggams and the rumor was that Carol was having trouble with the lines. This was 8 years ago - I doubt her memory got better.

by Anonymousreply 28509/25/2013

You think he's better-looking than Brando, r287? I don't see that.

by Anonymousreply 28609/25/2013

He looks more like a male model than Brando.

by Anonymousreply 28709/25/2013

First look at the INTO THE WOODS movie cast in costume! Looks pretty fucking fabulous, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 28809/25/2013

Yeah, I don't think it's a case of too good-looking. He looks too clean.

by Anonymousreply 28909/25/2013

r288

Burnett or Channing?

by Anonymousreply 29009/25/2013

Anyone have plans to see the Manjello Streetcar?

by Anonymousreply 29109/25/2013

Everybody looks nauseous except Tracey Ullmann and Chris Pine.

by Anonymousreply 29209/25/2013

R267. how was Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio?

by Anonymousreply 29309/25/2013

Good question about Stephanie Pope. Patina Miller doesn't have a bead on Pope as a dancer, singer, or actor.....even Bob Fosse was a fan.

Pope in the chicago ensemble is bizzare.

by Anonymousreply 29409/25/2013

Donna Marie Asbury has been in the ensemble forever, and she was a tour Velma (not to mention of the early Evas when EVITA first went on a national tour). It's a steady pay check compared to the shorter stints given to the leads.

by Anonymousreply 29609/25/2013

They should cast Chita in a film version of In The Heights so she can win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 29709/25/2013

She should only be filmed in medium-to-long shots, though.

by Anonymousreply 29809/25/2013

[quote]pics of Nick Adams in underwear aren't hard to cum by

Maybe for you, but I tried jacking off to a picture of him once and couldn't cum at all.

by Anonymousreply 29909/25/2013

Carroll didn't ever get past rehearsals in On Golden Pond. Uggams was in the show when it opened in DC.

by Anonymousreply 30009/25/2013

I don't get the Stephanie Pope thing either. It looks like she left Pippin on a Sunday and took over in Chicago one or two nights later. And she's one of the Velma understudies.

She left a new hit production to go into the ensemble of a show that's been running 17 years where she once played the lead?

The Weisslers are producers of both shows. Is poor Steph being punished?

by Anonymousreply 30109/25/2013

R254: that Matt Doyle performance was AWFUL. And some squeaky clean Showtune queen singing Amy Winehouse is just so tired. These girls have no clue how to even approximate what made her great.

by Anonymousreply 30209/25/2013

bitch please r305. Amy was a skanky addict.

by Anonymousreply 30309/25/2013

R301. Look who's talking, Rita. BTW, you misspoke on NPR the other night when you referred to three Oscar Winners from Puerto Rico (including you and Jose Ferrer)--Raul Julia was never even nominated, let alone did he win. Nice try, though.

by Anonymousreply 30409/25/2013

R306: Exactly, which is why Twinky McTwinkersteins should stay away from her material. It's like Victoria Clark singing Janis Joplin. Just don't. And it's the third time this week I've run into Rehab being warbled in a Den Of Non-Equity.

by Anonymousreply 30509/26/2013

Amy was genius, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 30609/26/2013

Or Michael Arden singing the entirety of Join Mitchell's BLUE.

by Anonymousreply 30709/26/2013

Didnt Pope go on for Patina?

by Anonymousreply 30809/26/2013

i just LOVED Winehouse and miss her. She took all those influences and still created something of her own. Not ALWAYS, but enough times to inspire many of us ESPECIALLY because we knew of her struggles. Love is a Losing Game was just divine.

by Anonymousreply 30909/26/2013

Anyone who thinks Amy Winehouse was a genius needs to listen to Sharon Jones, janelle monae, and a host of others. Amy wasn't an artist, she was a walking cliche.

Back to broadway! What's the fall-out from Cheyenne's video? What would Stephanie Pope be punished for? she served the Weisslers well for many years. Is Annie actually gonna make it to closing? Whatever happened to Jim Borstelmann? Did Rachelle Rak reeeeeally sell drugs? Is Billy Porter's voice ok? Who will replace Diahann Carroll when she bows out odf rehearsals? Surprise guests for Cheets' upcoming tribute? Any gossip from last weekend's flea market? What's your favorite theatre on Broadway and why?

by Anonymousreply 31009/26/2013

[quote]bitch please [R305]. Amy was a skanky addict.

Broadway's too classy for someone like that.

by Anonymousreply 31109/26/2013

The fallout from Cheyenne's video has been nil.

He's back to posting on social media and his followers continue to adore him.

Apparently, he wasn't famous enough for it to cause any damage to his career.

by Anonymousreply 31209/26/2013

[quote]Didnt Pope go on for Patina?

I saw Pope in the role. Painfully inadequate. Couldn't sing it. No humor, no style. I guess you can chalk some of it up to nerves, but the whole show suffered for it.

by Anonymousreply 31309/26/2013

Barbara McNair is waiting in the wings for Raisin.

by Anonymousreply 31409/26/2013

I quite like Sharon Jones and Janelle Monae, but neither have made a classic album. Back To Black is such an album.

by Anonymousreply 31509/26/2013

[quote]Amy was genius, bitches.

Dead and forgotten, worse yet, a one hit wonder and don't you dare start rattling off titles from albums. NO ONE remembers her, if they do at all, for Rehab only.

by Anonymousreply 31609/26/2013

Er R319? She may or may not have made a lasting impact on American culture (though I suspect she has) but you can be assured that throughout the rest of the world, she is very much remembered and very much missed.

Amy only broke the States in 2007 but she had success in other parts of the world from 2003. Genius or not, who cares? But she was definitely a true artist and bears no shame for amazing recordings and songbook she left behind.

So just leave it there.

by Anonymousreply 31709/26/2013

That Blanche in the Yale Rep production of Streetcar looks like a grandma. Blanche isn't supposed to be an old crone. She's just not meant to be fresh as a daisy. Good gawd.

When are American directors going to realise that Stanley isn't supposed to be a male model? They never quite get that casting right.

by Anonymousreply 31809/26/2013

[quote] When are American directors going to realise that Stanley isn't supposed to be a male model? They never quite get that casting right.

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 31909/26/2013

[quote]you can be assured that throughout the rest of the world, she is very much remembered and very much missed.

Why do people always spout this shit, as though they're some kind of authorities? There are many other people who in the "rest of the world" eclipse Winehouse in the influence and "much missed" departments who you've never even heard of, r320, so I don't know what the hell your point is, really--it proves you as parochial as the person you purport to correct.

by Anonymousreply 32009/26/2013

Christine Baranski annoys the shit out of me. There are youtube vids of Stephanie Pope in a blond wig as Velma with Chita as Roxie from Las Vegas run. She is fantastic. Maybe she preferred to be in a sexy show as opposed to a sexless show. My one negative opinion of Pippin besides Chet Walker's blatant stealing of all Fosse's steps. "In the style of my ass".... Glad he didn't get the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 32109/26/2013

Annie may be closing end of October. Their numbers are disastrous. All the supporting producers are furious at the lead for screwing up what should have been an easy two year run.

by Anonymousreply 32209/26/2013

They're blaming the Annie(s), r325? Did one of them direct the thing?

by Anonymousreply 32309/26/2013

WHY do producers continue to give James Lapine work? I'm sure he'll fuck up LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, too.

by Anonymousreply 32409/26/2013

Carroll will never play the role in "Raisin In The Sun".

Paging Viola Davis. Miss Viola Davis.....

by Anonymousreply 32509/26/2013

Viola Davis isn't the only black actress who can do it R328. There are dozens of talented women who could fill Carroll's shoes.

by Anonymousreply 32609/26/2013

In what world would someone believe that Viola could be Denzel's MOTHER????? His mother?????? Ruth, his wife, I can see, but not Lena. Paging Cicely Tyson, Olivia Cole, Leslie Uggams, but Viola is too young.

by Anonymousreply 32709/26/2013

The great Lizann Mitchell deserves to be Denzel's mother. They made the original all black Trip to Bountiful for her - and Hallie and Wilson used her reviews to publicize the less than fab Broadway production.

by Anonymousreply 32809/26/2013

[bold] Gwyneth Paltrow Producing Broadway Musical Based on Music of The GoGos [/bold]

Gwyneth Paltrow is producing a Broadway musical, Showbiz 411's Roger Friedman reports:

The show is based on the music of the GoGo’s, the California New Wave girl group of the early 1980s. Paltrow’s partner in the endeavor is Donovan Leitch, son of the 60s rock and folk icon Donovan, of “Mellow Yellow” and ‘Sunshine Superman” fame.

The pair have enlisted Jeff Whitty of “Avenue Q” fame to write the book, and I’m told it’s almost done. The GoGos’ iconic hits included “We Got the Beat” and “Our Lips Are Sealed.” I’m told the idea is for a jukebox show with a twist– it will be set in the 1600s and based on surprising source material that can’t be revealed yet.

by Anonymousreply 32909/26/2013

[quote]I'm sure he'll fuck up LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, too.

LMS will fuck itself up.

The astonishing thing about Lapine's work on ANNIE is that he fucked up a basically un-fuck-up-able show.

by Anonymousreply 33009/26/2013

I haven't seen Lapine's ANNIE. But didn't Charnin fuck up the last revival?

by Anonymousreply 33109/26/2013

[quote]That Blanche in the Yale Rep production of Streetcar looks like a grandma.

I thought the role was being played by Diana Scarwid in a couple of those pictures.

by Anonymousreply 33209/26/2013

Ooh! I wish R335! My pussy would be off to New Haven tonight!

by Anonymousreply 33309/26/2013

"Barbara McNair is waiting in the wings for Raisin."

Even though she died in 2007?

by Anonymousreply 33409/26/2013

R324, the Velma in those clips is Valarie Pettiford. Pope didn't qear a blonde wig as Velma, and was far stronger on the part than Pettiford

by Anonymousreply 33509/26/2013

[quote] Barbara McNair is waiting in the wings for Raisin."

[quote] Even though she died in 2007?

Awk. Ward.

by Anonymousreply 33609/26/2013

My mistake 338-it is Pettiford rather than Pope with Chita. And agree- she was stronger.....but I think Pope did play the part for a while. Oh well-at least she keeps dancing at her age. Speaking of Donna Marie, who is a great performer,she is finally showing her age. Winner of oldest chorus girl award?

by Anonymousreply 33709/26/2013

Has anybody heard what show Clay Aiken is coming back to star in on Broadway in the spring?

by Anonymousreply 33809/26/2013

r341

I ain't done heard nuttin'.

by Anonymousreply 33909/26/2013

[quote]Has anybody heard what show Clay Aiken is coming back to star in on Broadway in the spring?

He's going to play Janis Joplin at the matinees. Good casting.

by Anonymousreply 34009/26/2013

Victoria Clark has the right look for Janis Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 34109/26/2013

[quote]Victoria Clark has the right look for Janis Joplin.

Fucked out? Who on god's earth would be so bold?

by Anonymousreply 34209/26/2013

Is "fucked out" a phrase?

by Anonymousreply 34309/26/2013

They are looking for a replacement for Diahann.

by Anonymousreply 34409/26/2013

"They are looking for a replacement for Diahann"

Call me . . .

by Anonymousreply 34509/26/2013

Prince of Broadway aiming for the 2025-26 season

by Anonymousreply 34609/26/2013

Oprah for Raisin?

by Anonymousreply 34709/26/2013

Ms Phylicia Rashad-Allen might consider it.

by Anonymousreply 34809/26/2013

R305, what part of Skivvies being fun don't you get? It's not about a "performance". They're singing in their underwear. It's cute. It's fun. It's a joke. That's it.

And Matt was cute and fun. There are plenty of other videos out there showing the kid can sing.

There's no need to be a pretentious twat about it.

by Anonymousreply 34909/26/2013

I thought Prince of Broadway was going to play in Tokyo early next year - that they got their backing there, and one of the requirements was that they open in Tokyo before NY.

Or is this another "we've got backing!" story like Rebecca the Musical?

by Anonymousreply 35009/26/2013

Doyle has a lovely voice. Unlike AKB or Jon Groff.

by Anonymousreply 35109/26/2013

Here is Instagram video of a shitfaced Sarah Paulson saying FU to the camera - and Lily Rabe posted a pic of Sarah drinking with the hashtag #burstynyourbubble

Mz. Thang is a mess....

by Anonymousreply 35209/26/2013

Who is hotpantsusa? Justin Kirk?

by Anonymousreply 35309/26/2013

[quote]Diahann Carroll

Diahann is a mean old lush.

by Anonymousreply 35409/26/2013

R355 I hated the smug look she had when she lost to Ellen Burstyn at the Emmy's, because she looked as though it was acceptable for Ellen 'fucking' Burstyn to win over her as though they are equals and Ellen was her biggest competition.

Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 35509/26/2013

Lily Rabe, Sarah Paulson and Zachary Quinto are all best friends. Not coincidentally, they are all three also completely insufferable hags with enormous (even for celebrity) egos.

by Anonymousreply 35609/26/2013

Did Justin Kirk have a hair transplant? looks so in those photos

by Anonymousreply 35709/26/2013

So Gavin Wiesen is Justin Kirks' lover?

by Anonymousreply 35809/26/2013

R359. Love "insufferable hags" and can believe every second of it. Zachary is terrific in Menagerie, in a really effective acting school performance as Tom, but you can see the wheels turning every second. Lily Rabe just Lily Rabes every entrance and exit, and Lana Banana is always drab and kind of lesbianic.

by Anonymousreply 35909/26/2013

click click click for Zach!!!

by Anonymousreply 36009/26/2013

[quote]I hated the smug look she had when she lost to Ellen Burstyn at the Emmy's, because she looked as though it was acceptable for Ellen 'fucking' Burstyn to win over her as though they are equals and Ellen was her biggest competition.

Ellen Burstyn won simply because she was Ellen Burstyn. She did nothing of merit in "Polictical Animals" which was a flop.

They gave her the Emmy to make up for the shit she took for winning her last Emmy for a 14-second 38 word performance. Sarah was robbed blind in broad daylight, as was Jessica Lange.

by Anonymousreply 36109/26/2013

[quote]hey gave her the Emmy to make up for the shit she took for winning her last Emmy for a 14-second 38 word performance.

That is all she did on Law and Order? really?

by Anonymousreply 36209/26/2013

Lily Rabe is playing the Gentleman Caller?

by Anonymousreply 36409/26/2013

let the critical ejaculation over Glass menagerie commence ( found it cold and not emotionally involving)

by Anonymousreply 36509/26/2013

r362 Yes. However effective he is in the role, I cringe every time I read a glowing review about him because I can nearly see his self-importance growing with each one.

by Anonymousreply 36609/26/2013

I'm still waiting for them to schedule my fitting for the Milky White costume. Rob Marshall, you have my number!

by Anonymousreply 36709/26/2013

Sarah Paulson was in a leading role jammed into a supporting category.

by Anonymousreply 36809/26/2013

[quote]That is all she did on Law and Order? really?

No, sorry I meant her 14-second 38 word performance NOMINATION for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie for Mrs. Harris HBO. She still didn't deserve the Political Animals one.

by Anonymousreply 36909/26/2013

Did she even do anything new for Mrs. Harris? As I remember it wasn't her whole appearance just Annette B. as Jean Harris just sitting there watching Ellen as Jean Harris on TV in a clip from the 1980s TV movie? Or was it not a clip and they restaged Burstyn as Harris?

by Anonymousreply 37009/26/2013

We start previews on Honeymoon in Las Vegas at Paper Mill tonight....come on down and see me, bitches!

Next stop Broadway!!!!

by Anonymousreply 37109/26/2013

Will there be a real live horse onstage in the SJP role r374?

by Anonymousreply 37209/26/2013

Make an honest woman of me, Tony!

by Anonymousreply 37309/26/2013

Hotpantsusa is Elizabeth Reaser.

by Anonymousreply 37509/26/2013

So The Glass Menagerie is getting seriously raved. Miss Brantley predicts Jones' performance will be as legendary as Laurette Taylor's.

by Anonymousreply 37609/26/2013

As expected, Brantley came all over Cherry Jones, Quinto, and The Glass Menagerie. His prose is pretty florid on this one.

by Anonymousreply 37709/27/2013

Just saw a rough cut of THE LAST 5 YEARS and it is such a complete success on every level,that I just don't know what else to say. And I had never seen the show. Had no connection to the music. Just astonishing and heartbreaking with Jeremy Jordon doing the best work of his career. A true labor of love from all involved. And this baby's gonna make it's parents mighty proud indeed!

by Anonymousreply 37809/27/2013

Please Tony Danza - we saw you on Broadway in "The Iceman Cometh" with Kevin Spacey. IIRC, while everyone cameth, most of the audiences lefteth at intermission...

by Anonymousreply 37909/27/2013

That's one of the most positive reviews I've ever read about any play. My goodness.

by Anonymousreply 38009/27/2013

[quote]Just saw a rough cut of THE LAST 5 YEARS and it is such a complete success on every level,that I just don't know what else to say. And I had never seen the show. Had no connection to the music. Just astonishing and heartbreaking with Jeremy Jordon doing the best work of his career. A true labor of love from all involved. And this baby's gonna make it's parents mighty proud indeed!

At least Ms. Stairmaster was smart enough not to sign her name this time.

by Anonymousreply 38109/27/2013

But those songs.....

by Anonymousreply 38209/27/2013

Hey, what does anyone know about Paul Wonterek from Broadway.com? Watching him over the years has given me impressions, but I'd love to hear what he's like.

by Anonymousreply 38309/27/2013

Well, I know that he's about 40 pounds overweight.

by Anonymousreply 38409/27/2013

Bernadette Peters starring in new show - singing Wynton Marsalis jazz arrangements of Sondheim and co-starring cute queen Tyler Hanes.

by Anonymousreply 38509/27/2013

Looking at partial view tickets for Glass Menagerie - how would Row B, seat 14, house right, be?

by Anonymousreply 38609/27/2013

R386 just another starfucking douche. There are so many, but he is particularly self important. Just because you suck up to people in the theater doesn't mean that you are responsible for creating theater.

by Anonymousreply 38709/27/2013

When Sarah Paulson has a career as distinguished as Ellen Burstyn's, then she can feel free to criticize all she wants.

Burstyn is a legend. Respect.

by Anonymousreply 38809/27/2013

Row B is too close for Glass Menagerie. You will entirely miss the stage floor which is one of the brilliant aspects of the set.

We were sitting in row F Center and could barely see the floor. The Booth Theater must be a high stage floor.

I would think that the perfect seats for this production would be the front of the mezzanine.

by Anonymousreply 38909/27/2013

How does Bruce Glikas keep his job? He's a nasty piece-of-work cunt who's never taken a flattering photograph once in his life!

by Anonymousreply 39009/27/2013

Bernadette Peters singing Jazz arrangements? That'll be a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 39109/27/2013

[quote] Bernadette Peters singing Jazz arrangements? That'll be a laugh.

I agree!

by Anonymousreply 39209/27/2013

Is Tyler Hanes still with Van Hansis?

by Anonymousreply 39309/27/2013

I like Paul Wontorek's interview style. He draws out his interviewees well.

by Anonymousreply 39409/27/2013

Liza Minnelli to replace Diahann Carroll!

by Anonymousreply 39509/27/2013

[quote]Is "fucked out" a phrase?

As in "fucked to a point of shambolic exhaustion."

by Anonymousreply 39609/27/2013

Did Anyone say "starfucking douche"?

by Anonymousreply 39709/27/2013

R381, how does Sheri Rene Scott look in her bit part? How's Anna Kendrick?

by Anonymousreply 39809/27/2013

R401 She looks good but is in a far shot and dimly lit. Anna is very natural but somewhat cool,which works well for the character but results in a shift of compassion from her to Jeremy's character which was the opposite from what I heard regarding the stage version. Richard LaGravenese the director has done beautiful work here.

by Anonymousreply 39909/27/2013

[quote]Burstyn is a legend. Respect.

Nah, she peaked in the 70's and is probably only remembered for "The Exorcist". Alice the movie is all but forgotten and no one associates it with the sitcom anymore. She was wonderful in "Resurrection" in the 80's but no one saw it and was never even given a proper DVD release. Her only other highlight was "Requiem for a Dream" which was more ghoul make-up and Histrionics and really doesn't hold up today.

by Anonymousreply 40009/27/2013

Burstyn was beyond brilliant in Alice r403! Granted, it was 35 years ago but you need to give it another look.

by Anonymousreply 40109/27/2013

Cherry Jones is MAME Cherry Jones is COCO Cherry Jones is SALLY DURANT PLUMMER CHERRY JONES is WILLY LOMAN (never too soon for another revival)

by Anonymousreply 40209/27/2013

R405. Hmmm. Death of a Saleslesbian?

by Anonymousreply 40309/27/2013

Thanks, R381.

by Anonymousreply 40409/27/2013

Not to mention Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream, for which she should have won the Oscar for Best Actress over Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich.

by Anonymousreply 40509/27/2013

R403 doesn't really "get" acting.

by Anonymousreply 40609/27/2013

Annaleigh Ashford is also in the episode

by Anonymousreply 40809/27/2013

Does Big Fish have any advance? I know of three shows that want that theatre in the spring. Any hope?

by Anonymousreply 40909/27/2013

How is the rear mezz at the Booth?

by Anonymousreply 41009/27/2013

mlop is legend. She is also quite a good photographer and has worked as a producer's assistant she is not totally useless. And she is never a self-important asshole she's just a fan.

by Anonymousreply 41109/27/2013

r414 nice to see some love for mlop.

by Anonymousreply 41209/27/2013

R413. The Booth is very small, and even though you're in the rear mezzanine the view is very good. No side seats, no side view. Distant, but totally fine. Go for it and a fine revival.

by Anonymousreply 41309/27/2013

Couldn't Karen 2 just have taken a long cruise rather than all this retirement business?

by Anonymousreply 41409/27/2013

If Burstyn isn't well remembered by the public, that's their loss. Her filmography is top notch, particularly her early to mid 70's roles. Paulson wishes she could measure up to such a standard.

And Lily Rabe needs to learn some humility. At least Ellen made it completely on her own merits.

by Anonymousreply 41509/27/2013

[quote]Glad Karen came to her senses.

I don't have to dance in this peoples!

by Anonymousreply 41609/27/2013

Ellen Burstyn showed her muff in Tropic of Cancer.

by Anonymousreply 41709/27/2013

Does any of Karen's pottery, eh, resemble Will?

by Anonymousreply 41809/27/2013

What are the 3 shows that want The Neil Simon?

I know Mothers and Sons wants Bobby Steggert.

by Anonymousreply 41909/27/2013

Any word on the Carole King musical in SF? I think they're in previews. I hear its selling well. Is it any good?

by Anonymousreply 42009/27/2013

Meryl as the Witch. I guess she didn't have the courage to go for the "full crone" treatment, as Bernadette did.

Or maybe they're saving all their make-up budget to make her look beautiful in the second half.

by Anonymousreply 42109/27/2013

honey r415 - Mlop is a good girl. She is quite the character but don't lump her in with self important assholes like Wontorek and Bruce Glikas. She is a fan - WE made her notorious. She doesn't seek the spotlight like these other talentless a-holes. She just wants to hang with thr stars and who doesn't want that? She is actually quite resourceful in a professional capacity and has access to all sorts of historical photos, memorabilia, and Playbills.

by Anonymousreply 42209/27/2013

I hope you're lifting your leg as you type, Chits.

by Anonymousreply 42309/27/2013

"The Glass Menagerie" will be sold out soon, eh?

Does anyone know if the run is to be extended?

by Anonymousreply 42409/27/2013

Doesn't Honeymoon in Vegas want the Neil Simon? What are the other two?

by Anonymousreply 42509/27/2013

I hope Menagerie gets extended, I'm sure as hell not paying what they are asking for a seat, now.

by Anonymousreply 42609/27/2013

"Menagerie" is being extended, but with Suzanne Somers and Brandon Routh playing the two leads.

by Anonymousreply 42709/27/2013

But Suzanne has insisted on playing Laura. She wants Joyce DeWitt as her mother.

by Anonymousreply 42809/27/2013

Oh gawd...

by Anonymousreply 42909/27/2013

"Row B is too close for Glass Menagerie. You will entirely miss the stage floor which is one of the brilliant aspects of the set"

I saw it from the middle of the orchestra and I have no idea what you are talking about. It was a standard set with a large fire escape in the middle, period end of story.

by Anonymousreply 43009/27/2013

Does anyone really believe Honeymoon will make it out of the Papermill shit-hole?

by Anonymousreply 43109/27/2013

r433 I was in the front row (A) and thought the same thing. Excellent view.

by Anonymousreply 43209/27/2013

r433 if you think The Glass Menagerie has "a standard set" I wouldn't trust anything else you have to say.

by Anonymousreply 43309/27/2013

R352: It's not performance! It's skivvies! It's fun! No one's performing! Or it'd be on a stage! In a club! With microphones! And a cover charge! This isn't that! It's underwear! It's carpets! It's madness! It's Carpet Madness!

by Anonymousreply 43409/27/2013

suck it haters! those Law and Order residuals buy a TON of pottery clay!

That shit reruns on TNT like constantly.

luv

K. Olivo tv star

by Anonymousreply 43509/28/2013

I've already made room on a shelf for the Tony I'll be receiving in June.

by Anonymousreply 43609/28/2013

Will Brantley's over the top review do for Menagerie what his over the top review did for Matilda?

by Anonymousreply 43709/28/2013

No - Cherry Jones and Zack Quinto have far more personal cachet than anyone in MATILDA had/has. People always come running when Brantley gives Cherry a rave, and this time there's ZQ, too. It'll sell out for its run - and probably extend another month or two.

by Anonymousreply 43809/28/2013

fucking Bruce Glikas.....I'd also love to know how he keeps his job. He makes some of the most beautiful people around look ugly in his photos: bad angles, lighting, editing, composition, etc! Personality to match, also. Barf.

by Anonymousreply 43909/28/2013

I'd be curious to see if they try to keep MENAGERIE running with replacements after the stars have to leave?

by Anonymousreply 44009/28/2013

Doubt it r443. They don't seem to replace people much in plays nowadays. Even Vania and Sonia...closed with pretty much the original cast.

by Anonymousreply 44109/28/2013

[quote]I'd be curious to see if they try to keep MENAGERIE running with replacements after the stars have to leave?

They should let Fran and Barry take over. Then we'd get some real stars in there.

by Anonymousreply 44209/28/2013

I agree about TGM's "standard set"...but by 2013 standards: Spare -(aka cheap) and slightly, but not TOO surreal set.

Very typical for most NYC-productions.

Doed anyone know what The Glass Menagerie Set Troll is rhapsodizing about?

Seriously! I want to know!

by Anonymousreply 44309/28/2013

ON A CLEAR DAY!

by Anonymousreply 44409/28/2013

R446, I think what everyone is referring to, but not saying is that the set is above a pool of water so the action is reflected in the water. This is hardly a spoiler, as it can been seen in mist photographs of the production.

by Anonymousreply 44509/28/2013

mlop used to babysit Robin Thicke

by Anonymousreply 44709/28/2013

Yes, R445, let's have Linda Blair play Amanda! Clay Aiken as Tom! Rosie as Laura! Tom Wopat as Jim.

BIG BUCKS!!! BOFFO!!

by Anonymousreply 44809/28/2013

Brooke Shields IS Amanda

by Anonymousreply 44909/28/2013

Liza IS Amanda.

With Alan Cumming as Tom.

by Anonymousreply 45009/28/2013

and Joey Luft as Laura Wingfield.

by Anonymousreply 45109/28/2013

Tovah as Amanda. Oh wait, she's already across the street, going through hoops of a different kind. She could use her Dolly accent for Amanda, though. Maybe she could do both Berthe AND Amanda on the same evenings, and then she could afford to fund her picnics without a signup sheet!

by Anonymousreply 45209/28/2013

I could bring REAL plates! Glass ones!

by Anonymousreply 45309/28/2013

The idiots who sat too close at Glass Menagerie missed that the set is floating on a floor of water. Period.

by Anonymousreply 45409/28/2013

Saw Glass MENagerie from the first row at A.R.T. and saw the reflection of the set and actors and lights (and the little moon).

by Anonymousreply 45509/28/2013

I'm sorry R323, what was your point? Oh, that's right, you don't have one.

by Anonymousreply 45609/28/2013

Does anyone here really think Glass Menagerie will sell out its limited run and extend, casting any of the suggested losers in these threads? Come on, girls and guys, this is 2013. Only Mr and Mrs Craig can command that kind of interest, and see what happens after the reviews. Tickets will turn up! And in a few days the notices for Menagerie will be forgotten and a tastefully cheesy discount coupon ($109) will surface for performances early in the week, and only in some of the usual discount spots. It's show biz, or what's left of it.

by Anonymousreply 45709/28/2013

Karen is takin' it to the Tweets - with people, singular!

"I still love musical theater. And I love it when I see it done well. Don't sleep on Madison, people!"

by Anonymousreply 45809/28/2013

R46l. It's "peoples." You are a phony Karen, like not the real mlop!

by Anonymousreply 45909/28/2013

What does she mean? Don't sleep on Madison Ave?

by Anonymousreply 46009/28/2013

Madison, WI.

by Anonymousreply 46109/28/2013

"The Glass Menagerie" with Phylicia and Condola Rashad, and Derek Luke as The Gentleman Caller.

by Anonymousreply 46209/28/2013

Anthony Mackie as Tom!

by Anonymousreply 46309/28/2013

Peoples in the tweets, peoples in the tweets ...

by Anonymousreply 46409/28/2013

For those of your SMASH fans, who really miss Deb Messing as Julia Houston as fantasy Theresa Rebeck...

This is why I love YouTube. Because someone went to the trouble to MAKE this.

by Anonymousreply 46509/28/2013

R465 they would actually be great in those roles.

by Anonymousreply 46609/28/2013

"Smash" got a shout-out on the premiere episode of "The Neighbors" last week.

by Anonymousreply 46709/28/2013

Kathleen Turner as Amanda.

by Anonymousreply 46809/28/2013

Amanda Plummer as Amanda.

by Anonymousreply 46909/28/2013

Amanda Bynes as Laura.

We Bentley as Tom

Zac Efron as The Gentleman Caller.

by Anonymousreply 47009/28/2013

Why must NY1 On Stage point out that there's no video to accompany a story when it's obvious when the story starts that they are using stills. It's so annoying, along with the "But first, here's a few scenes from the show..." When the segment starts, we get it.

by Anonymousreply 47109/28/2013

R469, at a Tennessee Williams weekend long celebration in 2011, I saw a wonderful reading of THE GLASS MENAGERIE with an all-black cast. They were excellent.

And on the Ellen Burstyn subject, she is an excellent actress that can act rings around most everyone. Especially Sarah Paulson. That being said, I watched both POLITICAL ANIMALS and AMERICAN HORROR STORY and Sarah Paulson deserved that Emmy. Sarah Paulson was horrific in THE GLASS MENAGERIE with Jessica Lange. Abysmal! I was embarrassed for her, but in AMERICAN HORROR STORY, she was on fire and deserved that Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 47209/28/2013

If the rest of the Bridges of MC score sounds like that preview sample, I'll be pouring it on pancakes.

by Anonymousreply 47309/28/2013

Now that I've seen HBO's Masters of Sex, can we get back to talking about Teddy Sears, please? Is he a theater guy?

by Anonymousreply 47409/28/2013

Sarah Paulson was in a leading role that was shoved in a supporting category.

by Anonymousreply 47509/28/2013

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf received rapturous reviews last year and could draw flies. Let's face it, folks, we live in a dumbed down society where godawful musicals run 10 plus years and plays die once their subscription base runs out..

by Anonymousreply 47609/28/2013

People on streets.

by Anonymousreply 47709/28/2013

Saw Big Fish

by Anonymousreply 47809/29/2013

Well,that Va. Woolf sucked, but other than that, I want to have your babies, r479.

by Anonymousreply 47909/29/2013

and then he swam away

by Anonymousreply 48009/29/2013

Speaking of alternative casting, how do we feel about an all-Asian "Steel Magnolias"?

by Anonymousreply 48109/29/2013

Has there been any gossip about Zachary Levi going around? I'm disappointed, I thought for surely something would come about with him on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 48209/29/2013

Zach has a personal connection with Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 48309/29/2013

R462 xox

by Anonymousreply 48409/29/2013

[quote]If the rest of the Bridges of MC score sounds like that preview sample, I'll be pouring it on pancakes.

You mean that "falling" song? Not just sappy, but dull. The thought of two and a half hours of that had me pre-bored.

by Anonymousreply 48509/29/2013

I guess we'll soon see if rapturous reviews will turn Glass Menagerie into a sell-out hit.

The star names are slightly bigger than the Va Woolf's rast revival and the play is more of an audience friendly title. I would think the Wed matinees could sell out to school groups.

by Anonymousreply 48609/29/2013

So is Zach Q. really an insufferable douchebag or is that just an unkind, untrue rumor?

by Anonymousreply 48709/29/2013

R470-That piece of shit was RENEWED?

by Anonymousreply 48809/29/2013

R488. Isn't "Falling" from ONCE? That's what all of ONCE sounds like, and it won a Tony. Don't be too quick to judge syrup!

by Anonymousreply 48909/29/2013

Oy. Zachary Quinto and Kevin Spacey together in a room. Watch the energy disappear, sucked up by K's pomposity and Z's pretentiousness.

by Anonymousreply 49009/29/2013

Zachary Levi is tall and Christian. Where's he gonna go?

by Anonymousreply 49109/29/2013

Well, I just bit the bullet & bought tickets to next Saturday's matinee of Glass Menagerie. Just under $200 with BroadwayOffers discounts (which are easily found & run through Oct. 27).

I don't think it's going to SELL OUT every performance, but it'll fill its run nicely and if it's possible for a limited run to recoup, they will.

by Anonymousreply 49209/29/2013

I'm also a Christian.

by Anonymousreply 49309/29/2013

Saw Glass Menagerie yesterday. Fine performances, but Cherry Jones is miscast. It is more Mama Rose than Amanda. I don't care what Cherry Jones actual heritage is, she will always seem good New England stock. If they had changed Blue Mountain to somewhere in Maine or Vermont, the performance would have been perfection. The D.A.R. accent doesn't help. The telephone scene really didn't work, but I swear it was because the scene has been rewritten, and not for the better.

The Gentleman Caller was amazing. I thought I was going to hate his performance, but he completely won me over.

by Anonymousreply 49409/29/2013

R497. Cherry Jones is from the deep countryside of Tennessee. Cherry is from Paris, TN- and the nickname for that area is 'Hoots' as in 'Hooterville.' Can't get more southern than that.

by Anonymousreply 49509/29/2013

Don't worry. I'll come along in the next ten years and right Cherry's wrong.

by Anonymousreply 49609/29/2013

R498, I know that which is why a specifically wrote I DON'T CARE WHAT HER HERITAGE IS.

by Anonymousreply 49709/29/2013

ah specifically wrote ah know what ha hairtige iz

by Anonymousreply 49809/29/2013

Calm down r500, be easy like Sunday morning.

by Anonymousreply 49909/29/2013

CORRECTION: I know that, which is why I specifically wrote I DON'T CARE WHAT HER HERITAGE IS.

by Anonymousreply 50009/29/2013

[quote][R488]. Isn't "Falling" from ONCE? That's what all of ONCE sounds like, and it won a Tony. Don't be too quick to judge syrup!

Not "Falling" from ONCE. I think it's called "Falling Into You" or something. It's from BRIDGES and nowhere near as interesting as anything form ONCE.

by Anonymousreply 50109/29/2013

Saw a production of "Funny Girl" last night, starring Nicole Parker (from "MadTV.") I'd never seen a stage production before, only the film. Obviously quite a few songs were cut for the movie, and one big, non-original one ("My Man") was added. I wonder why it's so infrequently produced? By the way, after seeing it, I cannot imagine how Lauren Ambrose would've been able to do it.

by Anonymousreply 50209/29/2013

We are seeing it in Nürnberg this winter. I wonder how it translates into German?

by Anonymousreply 50309/29/2013

Well, haven't a couple of tours with "names" bombed from the 90s onwards (Pia Zadora & Debbie Gibson)

by Anonymousreply 50409/29/2013

Re FUNNY GIRL. Stephanie J. Block was really good in a regional production I saw about 12 years ago. And this comes from someone who saw Streisand (yes, I am old!) on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 50509/29/2013

Where is the Nicole Parker FUNNY GIRL?

I love her. She was hilarious in Martin Short's Broadway show a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 50609/29/2013

R509 Redondo Beach, CA. Previously in Fullerton, CA.

by Anonymousreply 50709/29/2013

R509 More, with photos.

by Anonymousreply 50809/29/2013

Every time I see "The Prince of Broadway" I hear Nathan Lane singing "I used to the the Prince! The Prince of old Broadway!"

by Anonymousreply 50909/29/2013

R512 Wasn't Max the KING?

by Anonymousreply 51009/29/2013

We need some gossip from a matinee today. Did Z Quinto reach over during the Act Three and plant a wet kiss on Brian J. Smith's appealing lips? And how did Cherry factor that in? Did she put on her Lady Bracknell accent even more? Or did Tovah's bloomers full off during one of her seriously acrobatic moments? Or did more than ten of the normally dozing audience members of Once wake up when Act 1 ended?

by Anonymousreply 51109/29/2013

God, I didn't get the appeal of ONCE. That Miloti woman sounded like she was killin' cats every time she sang.

by Anonymousreply 51209/29/2013

The London ONCE female lead is wonderful. She's a Croat.

by Anonymousreply 51309/29/2013

Speaking of Miloti, she doesn't look very good on HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER. Audiences are puzzled: after umpteen seasons, THAT was what Ted was eagerly waiting to meet?

She must have a really great personality. Or something.

by Anonymousreply 51409/29/2013

Ted's not oil painting himself.

by Anonymousreply 51509/29/2013

Stop Press. Faith out of Annie matinee yesterday. I know, I know she's honoring previous engagements, but it seems like there are more previous engagements than current performances! No wonder no one is going to see her if she's out a lot. And if she had so many other engagements, why did she uproot herself from California? Sounds like she had plenty of work without taking on the steaming pile that is this current Annie revival. It's running out of steam very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 51609/29/2013

R508 I wish everyone would stop trying to make Stephanie J. Block happen. She's just another Julia Murney/Marin Mazzie/Carolee Carmello. Adequate but nothing special. Where's the spark?

by Anonymousreply 51709/29/2013

"most recently on Broadway as Miss Hannigan in the 2012 revival of Annie" looks good on the resume

by Anonymousreply 51809/29/2013

R481: Can you explain to me why the doctor in BIG FISH is played by the doctor from The Simpsons?

by Anonymousreply 51909/29/2013

"[R508] I wish everyone would stop trying to make Stephanie J. Block happen. She's just another Julia Murney/Marin Mazzie/Carolee Carmello. Adequate but nothing special. Where's the spark?"

In the numerous productions in which I have seen SJB perform, she has been nothing short of spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 52009/29/2013

I wish everyone would trying to make FUNNY GIRL happen. The book is just awful. It's just a sad, unfunny, overblown soap opera that doesn't get anywhere near who the real Fanny Brice was.

by Anonymousreply 52109/29/2013

R521 "most recently on Broadway as Miss Hannigan in the 2012 revival of Annie" looks good on the resume"

Yes, assuming she'll be auditioning for community theatre once Annie finally shutters.

by Anonymousreply 52209/29/2013

R524 Agreed! If there ever was a show screaming for a major overhaul it's Funny Girl. Keep the songs and rewrite the book.

R523 I agree with the DL'er who say SJB I low on charisma. And I've seen her on stage. A lot. She bores me.

by Anonymousreply 52309/29/2013

Carolee Carmello is not "adequate". She is, in my opinion, in a league with Audra.

by Anonymousreply 52409/29/2013

Yup

by Anonymousreply 52509/29/2013

Audra sucks. Julia sucks.

Stephanie very good. Carolee. Great

Judy mcLane. Awesome

by Anonymousreply 52609/29/2013

[quote]Carolee Carmello is not "adequate". She is, in my opinion, in a league with Audra.

Carolee just has, shall we say, unfortunate taste in projects.

by Anonymousreply 52709/29/2013

r522, can you explain to me why Big Fish is?

I don't understand the Funny Girl antipathy. Sure, it's soap opera but it also works on so many levels: rags-to-riches saga, underdog makes good, sacrificial rite a la A Star Is Born (the old regime must die, literally or symbolically, so the new can ascend)...it didn't make a star out of Streisand for nothin'!

by Anonymousreply 52809/29/2013

Where's Geoffrey Nauffts these days? Have not heard or read anything about him in quite a long while.

by Anonymousreply 52909/29/2013

I thought SJB was quite good in "Drood," and a friend who has seen numerous Elphabas in Chicago (the city, not the musical, though it would be fun to see someone do "Defying Gravity" as Velma Kelly)said he thought she was the best one.

by Anonymousreply 53009/29/2013

Block is fine, but she wasn't even as memorable as Meghan Hilty in NINE TO FIVE.

by Anonymousreply 53109/30/2013

I saw SJB in both "Boy from Oz" and "They're Playing Our Song" (opposite Jason Alexander) and she was excellent in both. I also saw "Wicked" in Chicago, but with Ana Gasteyer, not SJB.

by Anonymousreply 53209/30/2013

R531: I saw BIG FISH on Thursday and it's a real head-scratcher. I did really care about the central premise of "I gotta know who my father was!" The mother seems perfectly happy. Dad is presented as an attentive, supportive father interested in his son. Son grows up well-adjusted and, apparently educated since he's a NYTimes reporter. He's married a lovely, smart wife. What is the problem here? Dad tells blown out fantasy stories? Would that that were most men's issues with their fathers.

Aside from the often cited issue of the really weak score, is the less mentioned moon/June/spoon lyrics. No false rhymes, just pedestrian, mediocre, uninspired ones.

Also not mentioned elsewhere: Stroman's choreography is mostly unjustified. People just get out on stage and start dancing for no reason. For the days of DeMille, Oona White, Hanya Holmes, Agnes DeMille, Gower Champion and Jerome Robbins whose dancing always sprang organically from what was happening.

Also, astonishing are the William Ivey Long costumes: literally an entire full company costume plot for every fantasy sequence. Makes you sit and wonder: without the projections, the tricked out Disney theme park sets and zillions of costumes, is there much of a show there?

Not really.

by Anonymousreply 53309/30/2013

I meant "... I didn't really care..."

by Anonymousreply 53409/30/2013

BIG FISH is this season's CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. Six months from now you'll forget it ever opened.

by Anonymousreply 53509/30/2013

Lea Michele is the only contemporary artist who can do "Funny Girl" justice. She was born to play the role.

by Anonymousreply 53609/30/2013

It isn't just the script of FUNNY GIRL that stinks. The score is third rate Jule Styne, too.

by Anonymousreply 53709/30/2013

R484 cannot be a worse idea than the recent NY all asian version of Odets A Wok n Sing. Sick of shit companies doing plays ironically as a gimmick. Nd getting grants to do them.

by Anonymousreply 53809/30/2013

Oh please R515 and R517 , don't play dumb. You know very well the reason Miloti has a career at all has nothing to do with talent or hard work. Every time I see that scheming manipulative lying puss on tv or in a show, I remember how she got there.

by Anonymousreply 53909/30/2013

R340 - you have no taste.

FUNNY GIRL is the LAST GOOD Styne score. After that we suffered thru real crap like "Hallelujah Baby!" and "Sugar" and "The Red Shoes" (which was mostly recycled from earlier shows anyway....)

by Anonymousreply 54009/30/2013

R541: NAATCO's "Awake and Sing" was actually quite good. And they perform American classics for a reason - most of their actors spend entire careers playing "3rd Delivery Boy from Left" roles. Gives them a chance to spread their wings a bit.

I can see where you might be offended, since you have such vivid memories of the original production.

by Anonymousreply 54109/30/2013

Forget FUNNY GIRL, let's just do GYPSY again.

by Anonymousreply 54209/30/2013

There should not be another Broadway revival of Gypsy for at least ten years.

by Anonymousreply 54309/30/2013

But how else will we get Imelda Staunton to the Great White Way?

by Anonymousreply 54409/30/2013

Hallelujah, Baby! may be a silly show but the score (and orchestrations) is glorious!

by Anonymousreply 54509/30/2013

r540 has recently been committed to Bellevue for extensive rehabilitation. Pray for her.

by Anonymousreply 54609/30/2013

Donna Murphy thinks FUNNY GIRL is 3rd rate Styne?

by Anonymousreply 54709/30/2013

In his 80s and in his sleep , Styne could compose better score than ANYONE writing musical theater in the last thirty years.

by Anonymousreply 54809/30/2013

Okay, here's the truth - Benji Brantley's over the top, hysterical rave review of Glass Menagerie is as ridiculous as Rexy Reed's over the top, devastating pan.

The show is not all that -- in either case.

by Anonymousreply 54909/30/2013

Who else was in the cast when Julie Harris did Amanda?

by Anonymousreply 55009/30/2013

r553 wasnt that Ally McBeal?

by Anonymousreply 55109/30/2013

The legend:

by Anonymousreply 55209/30/2013

Carolee Carmello, the Queen of The Pomo Musical

by Anonymousreply 55309/30/2013

'The Glass Menagerie" is notable for one thing only- the set. It's as if the whole production is floating in space, the space of Tom's memory. The black pool surrounding the set, the half-sunken moon, the fire escape to the stars...it all works beautifully.

But those performances! Celia Keenan-Bolger is the worst Laura I've ver seen; it's as if she's catatonic. Zachary Quinto is all stagey and arm-swinging. Put your fucking hands in your pockets, for Christ's sake. Brian J. Smith is a knucklehead, a void, and he has nothing to play off of in the scene with Laura. I didn't believe him for a second. Cherry Jones thinks she's playing Mama Rose, but without the drive. She's strident, she's turning it off and on throughout the play, there's no sense of a living human being in there. And Good God, could there be anything more ridiculous than Laura's entrance and final exit? What is this, "Insidious 3"?

by Anonymousreply 55409/30/2013

r557

Do you have a benchmark production of Glass Menagerie in mind?

by Anonymousreply 55509/30/2013

R557, you lost me when you praised the set. The set is basically fine, but it is pretty much a standard regional theater or college production set. The elements that take it beyond everyday is where it fails. The pool is only visible in a meaningful way from the balcony. The "silver slipper of a moon" looks like a shark's fin. My partner thought it was supposed to be the unicorn's horn. The fire escape is nothing special.

Since you failed to mention them, the costumes are pretty bad as well.

Cherry's dress is rather musical comedy. I understand that this is supposed to be a memory play, but the dress is the wrong kind of heightened reality.

Tom's shirt blends into the the set, particularly the screen and the sofa. It may have been a choice, but far to often he appears to be disembodied head and hands.

Laura's Act I costumes are dyed so that they are darker at the hems and cuffs than the rest of the clothing. First, I have no idea what that was supposed to symbolize. Second, since no other character wears a costume that has such a treatment, it looks as if she is wearing clothing from another production.

Laura's Act II dress seems to be intentionally an ugly, ill fitting dress. It is a choice to put her in a handkerchief hem skirt from the 1920s, but the skirt is far too complicated for a real dress. Much like the Act I choices, the costumes take you out of the play as one tries to figure out what the hell is going on with the choices.

Amanda's Act I dress looks like a period fancy dress costume made out of cheese cloth. It does not look a dress that a young girl would have worn to a cotillion. In all fairness it does appear to be very similar to what Laurette Taylor wore in the original production. However, it is my understanding that Laurette actually made that dress herself. If so, it is a perfect example of why actresses should not have a say in costumes.

by Anonymousreply 55609/30/2013

I have seen almost every "name" production of The Glass Menagerie since Tandy/Plummer and this production is the finest overall treatment where all elements work together.

re:Costumes. The characters are poor. Things don't fit. They might be old or second hand. Amanda has quite obviously tried to fashion some dresses for herself and Laura but she is not an expert seamstress. That set is anything but standard.

by Anonymousreply 55709/30/2013

R560, If the characters are poor, why does Amanda's blue dress look as if it was just delivered from the costume shop? The costumes do not work as a unified design.

by Anonymousreply 55809/30/2013

Deception !? Deception ?!!

by Anonymousreply 55909/30/2013

Um, R557? You are aware that it's not a musical, right?

by Anonymousreply 56009/30/2013

[quote] You know very well the reason Miloti has a career at all

Was she passing around her pussay?

by Anonymousreply 56109/30/2013

Rex Reed also praised the film "Prisoners" to the heavens, calling it "an artistic triumph".

by Anonymousreply 56209/30/2013

Bugs me that Amanda knows the phone numbers of her magazine customers wtihout looking them up

by Anonymousreply 56309/30/2013

r559, you write: Laura's Act I costumes are dyed so that they are darker at the hems and cuffs than the rest of the clothing. ... no other character wears a costume that has such a treatment...

Actually, Amanda's coat has the same darker hems and cuffs. However, I'll be damned if I know what that's suppose to mean. One character, okay, it's a costume designer's choice; two characters? Then, it's symbolic - but of what???

by Anonymousreply 56409/30/2013

For me the strangest aspect of Laura's Act II dress is that its shortness features her crippled leg. There's a legitimate reason that dress is always designed to be ankle or floor length.

Amanda's coat also has that silly painted effect of darker hems lightening as they go up the body and sleeves. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 56509/30/2013

After Amamda and Laura set the table in choreographed mime (so artistic and long!!), why does Amanda lift one end of the table so that all those "dishes" crash to the floor? Can someone PLEASE explain that bit of directorial nonsense.

Also, when a play makes definite references to props in dialogue, as this play does, maybe the director should consider giving us what the author intended.

by Anonymousreply 56609/30/2013

Thanks, I did not not notice on Amanda's coat. That is a good point about Laura's act two dress. But it is also true that Tennessee Williams specifically writes in the script that the actress playing Laura is not to limp. Meanwhile, this Laura plays full gimp. Coincidentally, the actress was fire from Light in the Piazza for not toning down her full retard performance.

by Anonymousreply 56709/30/2013

And its 1937! Many references to the Spanish Civil War.

Why would Amanda make a new dress for Laura with a dropped waist that is 10 years behind the times? I get that their everyday dresses are behind the times but this is a new dress!!

by Anonymousreply 56809/30/2013

[quote]After Amamda and Laura set the table in choreographed mime (so artistic and long!!), why does Amanda lift one end of the table so that all those "dishes" crash to the floor? Can someone PLEASE explain that bit of directorial nonsense.

I noticed that as well. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 56909/30/2013

Perhaps Amanda is stuck in the past and doesn't recognize new styles. I know plenty of people that are still dressing and wearing makeup as they did in their prime years in the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 57009/30/2013

R571, I think it is supposed to be on of Amanda's dresses from the 1920s that she altered to fit Laura. It is a really odd and distracting choice.

by Anonymousreply 57109/30/2013

Cherry plays Amanda like she's channelling Marjorie Main.

And to have Laura make her entrance from the cushions of the sofa is bewildering, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 57209/30/2013

this vitriolic DL Menagerie backlash is a little predictable

by Anonymousreply 57309/30/2013

Rex Reed's review is hilarious. It could only get worse for him if they cast Melissa McCarthy as Laura.

by Anonymousreply 57409/30/2013

If this Menagerie is a commercial success and they want to keep it open, I wonder who they'd settle for as replacements... John Stamos for Tom?

by Anonymousreply 57509/30/2013

OK, R577 now you've got me thinking how damn funny Melissa McCarthy would be as Laura.

by Anonymousreply 57609/30/2013

R565, Prisoners has been getting raves across the board so I don't get your point. Is it just that you think the term "artistic triumph" is pompous? If you do then I agree.

by Anonymousreply 57709/30/2013

"Prisoners" got a rave (grade "A")in EW, but it was a mini-review (only a few paragraphs.) What's the deal?

Also, what do you think Amanda would be doing for a living if the play were set in the present day?

by Anonymousreply 57809/30/2013

R581, She would be very, very fat. And tv. Lots of tv watching. Dancing With The Stars. American Idol. She would be hugely interested in both.

by Anonymousreply 57909/30/2013

Well as of 5 minutes ago, this discount offer was up at Playbill.com :

THE GLASS MENAGERIE

Performances 9/5/13 - 10/3/13 Tue – Thu Evenings & Wed Matinees $85*

Orch/Front Mezz (Reg. $127) $59*

Mezz Rows G-H (Reg. $77)

Fri – Sun Matinees & Evenings $89*

Orch/Front Mezz (Reg. $127) $65*

Mezz Rows G-H (Reg. $77)

Performances 10/4/13 - 10/27/13 Tue – Thu Evenings & Wed Matinees $95* Orch/Front Mezz (Reg. $127) $69* Mezz Rows G-H (Reg. $77) Fri – Sun Matinees & Evenings $99* Orch/Front Mezz (Reg. $127) $75* Mezz Rows G-H (Reg. $77)

by Anonymousreply 58009/30/2013

R582 Thanks, but I said "for a living." In other words, what's today's version of her magazine job?

by Anonymousreply 58109/30/2013

The one thing I found odd was that in this production, when Amanda said, "I baptized myself!" it was because she was crying. In others (and in the written text) she had spilled her lemonade (which didn't even appear here).

Nonetheless, count me among those who like it.

by Anonymousreply 58209/30/2013

If Laura's Act II dress is supposed to be one of Amanda's old dresses, altered and sized WAAAAAAAY down, fine. But it doesn't look like an old dress. The fabric looks quite new.

by Anonymousreply 58309/30/2013

r584, I'd say dogwalking and pet sitting.

by Anonymousreply 58409/30/2013

She would be involved in one of those pyramid schemes, which is essentially what selling magazine subscriptions was in the 1930s. Amway, Pampered Chef, Vitamins, etc.

by Anonymousreply 58509/30/2013

"what do you think Amanda would be doing for a living if the play were set in the present day?"

I stand by my answer but I will preface it with the words ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - that is what she would be doing for a living. The husband would not be sending smart-ass postcards but he would have be hunted down by her lawyers and he would be sued for marital support, etc.

by Anonymousreply 58609/30/2013

She might have tried selling real estate in the 1990's, but as in the 1930's she STILL would be living off Tom.

by Anonymousreply 58709/30/2013

[quote]If Laura's Act II dress is supposed to be one of Amanda's old dresses, altered and sized WAAAAAAAY down, fine. But it doesn't look like an old dress. The fabric looks quite new.

Yes, a lot of the clothes looked made yesterday. It is a memory play. One can make the choice that Tom does not remember the clothing in all its wear and tear; however, one then has the challenge of not having the clothing look as if it was bought yesterday. Having Amanda's dress made from linen, a raw silk or a boiled silk would have actually looked more used than brand new tissue faille.

by Anonymousreply 58809/30/2013

r576, yes the backlash is predictable considering the glorious reviews for such a ho-hum - often misguided- production

by Anonymousreply 58909/30/2013

She'd be writing a food blog in Brooklyn or she'd be a party planner R584.

by Anonymousreply 59009/30/2013

[quote] In other words, what's today's version of her magazine job?

She'd be a Mommy Blogger, obsessing over Laura's peanut allergy.

by Anonymousreply 59109/30/2013

r576 - This production is anything but ho hum. Have you even seen it?

by Anonymousreply 59209/30/2013

Now, be nice to R592 - nothing compares to his experience watching the original Broadway production.

by Anonymousreply 59309/30/2013

When dress fabric becomes the hottest discussion on a theatre thread, you know the end is near!

by Anonymousreply 59409/30/2013

r595, of course, I've seen it. And it is the ONLY production of the play I've seen that left me cold. No feeling at all. And I never believed ANY production of The Glass Menagerie would accomplish that.

Even that silly Roundabout production with an excellent Judith Ivey was better.

by Anonymousreply 59509/30/2013

Onward to the next theatre gossip thread...hopefully with no more posts about what kind of frau Amanda is!

No talent slatternly Cristin Miloti vs. James Barbour. Is there anyone who doesnt think Miloti rode him all the way to the bank and a career?

by Anonymousreply 59609/30/2013

What makes you think boffing some B-list Broadway actor gets you a career?

by Anonymousreply 59709/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.