Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sick of Craigslist furniture

My boyfriend an I are moving to a bigger place soon and are looking to get some furniture to fill out the space. Nothing permanent really, just nice placeholders until we see something we really want and can afford it.

SOOoooo sick of looking at Craigslist and wondering if anyone has suggestions for other places to look.

by Anonymousreply 4707/16/2014

Um, a store.

by Anonymousreply 109/19/2013

Freecycle.org. It's where people post stuff you can have for free, you just have to make the effort to take it away.

Ikea.

by Anonymousreply 209/19/2013

Hello, Ikea!

by Anonymousreply 309/19/2013

If you're moving to a bigger place, maybe you should be able to afford furniture? Just a thought.

by Anonymousreply 409/19/2013

I'm in the same boat, OP. it seems like people have been asking a lot for their furniture lately. You used to get deals and good quality. Lately it's all been overpriced ikea stuff. And moving it is a hassle.

Check your area for thrift stores. My Salvation Army has a large furniture department. It's hit or miss.

There's also eBay. Refine your search to posts within 40 miles or so of your zip code.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 509/19/2013

You can paint thrift store furniture too to unify it to avoid having many different faux woodgrain finishes that scream "cheap!"

by Anonymousreply 609/19/2013

OP = has bedbugs

by Anonymousreply 709/19/2013

Where are you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 809/19/2013

Don' you lissen to them posters, OP. I 'member OUR first double-wide.

Have you tried breakin' inter them summer places onct the city folks is gone? That's how we got Mama's rocker and Paralee her new sparking couch for the front yard.

Or call the Assembly of God an' say you had a burn out. That got us some box springs for the triplets.

by Anonymousreply 909/19/2013

Unpainted Arizona

by Anonymousreply 1009/19/2013

Where do you live, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1109/19/2013

Dumpsters

by Anonymousreply 1209/19/2013

Do the sellers have to disclose if someone died in/on the furniture?

by Anonymousreply 1309/19/2013

laughing R13

by Anonymousreply 1409/19/2013

Minneapolis

by Anonymousreply 1509/19/2013

Used furniture is gross. Who knows what bodily fluids it has absorbed. Who knows what household pests are tagging along back to your place with it. And if you believe in that sort of thing, who knows what spirits or demons might be attached to it. ESPECIALLY that particle-board Ikea shit.

by Anonymousreply 1609/19/2013

Old furniture and stuff can be possessed by GHOSTS!

by Anonymousreply 1709/19/2013

Hide-a-beds. Demons love hide-a-beds. Don't buy them used, people.

by Anonymousreply 1809/19/2013

Mor has inexpensive furniture, if you have one in your area.

by Anonymousreply 1909/19/2013

When my dad died in bed at home my sister sold his mattress set and bed to a young seminary school student. My dad wasn't a nice person, I often wondered if he haunted that kid.

by Anonymousreply 2009/19/2013

OP, go to a local auction house in your area that has weekly auctions. There has to be a place like that around Minneapolis. Those weekly auction sales are a means of quickly disposing of pieces of an estate that have little resale value. (Expensive pieces go into the catalog sales that are held less frequently.) Depending on what you are looking for, you can buy a lot of used furniture for not very much money. And, the selection is often pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 2109/19/2013

Go Japanese, just buy a couple of throw pillows and you're set.

by Anonymousreply 2209/19/2013

I'm in a similar boat. I've had some luck with auctions and estate sales. Look on estatesale.net for some in your area.

by Anonymousreply 2309/19/2013

save up a little cash and buy one piece at a time. if you can't afford to buy anything yet, just get some free stuff off CL (beggars cant be choosers). There are 2 of you so you should be able to buy a little at a time. If you can't afford to buy a little furniture, you probably can't afford to move to a bigger place. Stay put and furnish the smaller place. Most importantly live within your budget and don't get yourself in over your head.

by Anonymousreply 2409/20/2013

Yes, by all means check out auctions houses. Fantastic deals.

Another tactic is to drive around affluent suburbs on garbage collection days for large items. Its quite amazing what one can find sitting on the sidewalk. Beautiful items the wealthy no longer require.

by Anonymousreply 2509/20/2013

Follow the advice on auctions of R21 and others.

I'll add that a bricks-and-mortar auction house will always have a list of recommended movers who can deliver larger pieces.

by Anonymousreply 2609/20/2013

OP, provide an e-mail address so we can communicate specifics, and I can send you dishes I'm not using anymore. You'll have to pay postage, though.

by Anonymousreply 2709/20/2013

What are some reputable auction houses?

by Anonymousreply 2809/20/2013

[quote] What are some reputable auction houses?

OP/R28: To save everyone but yourself a bit of trouble, and without meaning to pry, it would be helpful to know WHERE?

(Auction houses are, by and large, local concerns.)

by Anonymousreply 2909/20/2013

R29, see R15

by Anonymousreply 3009/20/2013

My apologies, OP/R28, and doubly so for having looked to see if you had stated your location earlier.

Minneapolis/St. Paul is a very local market -- the only auction house in the area that I've heard of is Luther Auctions which has had some antiques auctions.

Ideally, look for an auction house that has been in business for a while and which has regularly scheduled (weekly or monthly) auctions. These more frequent sales will likely include a mix of "household furnishings" and some antiques or older items mixed in to varying extent.

The reputability isn't so much a concern if you're not spending a lot of money. If you buy something inexpensively and are happy with it, that should be good enough. (Just avoid auction companies that are not locally or regionally based.)

by Anonymousreply 3109/20/2013

If you're on Facebook, see if there's a local "garage sale" page. People post pictures of stuff they are selling or giving away, with asking price, and you just message them with an offer. I think it's a lot easier than Craigslist.

by Anonymousreply 3209/20/2013

Develop enormously muscular bodies and then start a "Go fund me" page.

by Anonymousreply 3309/20/2013

Buy used furniture and get bed bugs and roaches thrown in for free.

Seriously who in this day and age of bed bugs get USED furniture.

by Anonymousreply 3409/22/2013

How do you negotiate offensive offers? I notice that people are rather aggressive when asking to pay less than what the item is listed for - like 30% less or so.

An item I'm selling for $180 (in store price is $250) I got this response: "I'd do $100, as is the price I've paid for 2 seperate [sic] units like this in the past".

Part of me wants to tell these people to fuck off, but want to get rid of some furniture before moving out.

How to be a good negotiator?

by Anonymousreply 3507/15/2014

[quote] An item I'm selling for $180 (in store price is $250)

And you think you should sell it for what's in the store? You're crazy.

If someone is going to pay $180 for used, they're just going to fucking spend another $70 to get the new one.

$100 sounds like a reasonable offer to me. The insulting one would be $25 or $50.

Unless you have a very in-demand vintage piece or designer piece, you're lucky to get 50 percent return on a used piece, if that.

by Anonymousreply 3607/15/2014

OP, don't buy throwaway or placeholder furniture. What a mistake! And don't move anything you don't love. I bought my first house in October of last year and decided not to move anything from my apartment of 5 years to the new spot unless I knew it would stay forever - except my couch. It took six months to get completely set up, but now there isn't a thing to do or replace and I never need to think about it again.

1stdibs.com is a great resource for identifying your absolute ideal, to determine what you like and suits the space, and learn the terminology and descriptors for those items.

You are able to specify the location of sellers on eBay and Etsy. You can often get an incredible deal from sellers who are only willing to do local delivery. They want to unload their stuff, don't want to deal with CL flakes or the hassle of shipping, and the buyer benefits.

by Anonymousreply 3707/15/2014

[quote]And you think you should sell it for what's in the store? You're crazy. If someone is going to pay $180 for used, they're just going to fucking spend another $70 to get the new one.

I'm selling a DWR shelving system for $180 (in store price is $250 + tax). So, they'd be paying $90 more for a new one.

The truth is, I'm too lazy to disassemble it and take it with me. And I like it enough that I would buy it for my new place.

I'm getting rid of almost everything. I hope I don't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 3807/15/2014

R38, you'll be sorry. That's no way to move.

Hire someone to come in and disassemble the DWR unit and move it and the rest of your stuff if you're that lazy.

by Anonymousreply 3907/15/2014

I needed to hear that, R39. I will reconsider selling some of the stuff.

My deal with movers is itemized, so I hope they do not balk at the extra items. In order to keep the moving costs down I will be shipping my art books via media mail and my stereo via FedEx, and my bike via some bike shipping company.

I am donating a lot of my clothes, too. I'm giving away my TV and my AC unit.

by Anonymousreply 4007/15/2014

Dare I say it? Biglots.com, I'm going there.

Maybe you can get them to deliver in an unmarked van.

by Anonymousreply 4107/16/2014

Call the movers and tell them you're adding more items. They'll let you know what they need to do. It's possible they'll want to come out and re-inventory, but they might ask you to email them a list of the items.

It's not a good idea to surprise your moving company on the day of a move. They'll usually have stuff from several households on the same truck, and if they can they'll have every inch of space allocated, especially for a long distance move. Better to work it out ahead of time.

by Anonymousreply 4207/16/2014

Hi, R42, that's a good advice for anyone who is moving.

In my case, the moving company representative came by and made an inventory, which was inaccurate (he omitted many items). So I called them and added what I thought was missing (my price went up several hundred dollars). They said to call if I needed to re-adjust again, up or down, even if it's the day before the move. Since I'm mailing some of my books, my bike and my stereo I don't think I will exceed cubic feet even if I keep the DWR shelving. But, you are correct. It's better to not surprise the movers on the day of the move with extra stuff.

by Anonymousreply 4307/16/2014

Has anyone donated to Housing Works? I'd rather give my stuff to those in need that some gallery owner who is asking me to drop my price by $80.

by Anonymousreply 4407/16/2014

bump

by Anonymousreply 4507/16/2014

RIP OP

by Anonymousreply 4607/16/2014

Surely you know some unemployed gay pals who could do this for a modest fee- until they find something permanent.

by Anonymousreply 4707/16/2014
Need more help? Click Here.