Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ugh. I Have a Dry Socket

I knew it would happen because the tooth extraction was absolutely hellish. I needed 6 injections and I could still feel pain as the oral surgeon used pliers. a drill, some kind of scraper and something like a bone elevator to dig out the root.

I can't drive to the oral surgeon because it's a 3 hour round trip and I'm taking Percocet (along with Motrin) for pain and Dramamine so the Percocet won't make me puke.

I'm using a Red Cross toothache kit. I rinse my mouth with saline, squirt the tooth hole with chlorhexidrine in a syringe, then put the cotton ball dipped in clove oil in the hole. I'm already on antibiotics. That should be ok, right? I have an appointment on Monday and shoud feel better by then.

by Anonymousreply 5209/25/2013

Yikes! Feel better

by Anonymousreply 109/19/2013

what's a dry socket?

by Anonymousreply 209/19/2013

Eeww!

by Anonymousreply 309/19/2013

Sorry for you ordeal, OP. Get off Datalounge and call your surgeon back for further instructions, OP. They should have given you instructions and a phone number to call for questions.

When I had a tooth pulled I received instructions NOT to use cotton- unless absolutely necessary because it dry out the socket. You have to let it bleed and wipe the blood out of your mouth.

DO NOT spit.

Do NOT rinse the hole out.

The idea is to let the blood clot enough to heal it over.

But that's how I understood it and everything went okay.

by Anonymousreply 409/19/2013

I may be wrong, but I think a dry socket is avoidable if the site is packed with gauze for a few days or the gum is sewn. It is an extra step and visit if I am not mistaken. You got a raw deal. Complain to the dentist, I think what happened to you was avoidable. Maybe won't be OK by Monday.

by Anonymousreply 509/19/2013

R2, it's a socket that won't bleed. Therefore, can't clot and heal.

by Anonymousreply 609/19/2013

I feel your pain - had the same thing but I wasn't given any prescription medication. I'm lucky I didn't overdose on Tylenol... Horrible!

by Anonymousreply 709/19/2013

Any dentist should be able to deal with this OP. You don't need to drive 3 hours to see one.

by Anonymousreply 809/19/2013

[quote] I'm using a Red Cross toothache kit. I rinse my mouth with saline, squirt the tooth hole with chlorhexidrine in a syringe, then put the cotton ball dipped in clove oil in the hole. I'm already on antibiotics. That should be ok, right? I have an appointment on Monday and should feel better by then.

Call your dentist.

What you are doing is pretty much the opposite of what my dentist did when I had dry socket.

I wasn't even allowed to spit. Spent a week soaking up drool with a tissue.

by Anonymousreply 909/19/2013

Salt (saline) will disintegrate a clot so that is a bad idea right there.

by Anonymousreply 1009/19/2013

OP, do NOT put your finger in the socket!

by Anonymousreply 1109/19/2013

Ugh, you sound like you need to head over and read the last page on that thread of Brad Pitt not looking like any caucasian man you have ever seen. You sound like one of those melongeon types.

by Anonymousreply 1209/19/2013

[quote]I needed 6 injections and I could still feel pain as the oral surgeon used pliers. a drill, some kind of scraper and something like a bone elevator to dig out the root.

Exactly why I paid $325 out-of-pocket to be knocked out when I had to have a tooth pulled a month ago. And the oral surgeon was really cute. But I just wanted to be knocked out. Best money I ever spent.

by Anonymousreply 1309/19/2013

That really sucks. I had a tooth extracted and the skin didn't heal over at first but it eventually did. I'm happy that it didn't become a dry socket problem.I hope that the opiates work, in my case they didn't at all so the tooth had to be extracted.

by Anonymousreply 1409/19/2013

I was really worried this was a "surprise anal" thread.

by Anonymousreply 1509/19/2013

You in danger, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 1609/19/2013

why would Percocet make you puke. what a pussy

by Anonymousreply 1709/19/2013

[quote] Salt (saline) will disintegrate a clot so that is a bad idea right there.

There is no clot. I don't think there ever was a clot. But there's definitely no clot.

by Anonymousreply 1809/19/2013

[quote] Exactly why I paid $325 out-of-pocket to be knocked out when I had to have a tooth pulled a month ago. And the oral surgeon was really cute. But I just wanted to be knocked out. Best money I ever spent.

I paid $367 and didn't get knocked out. They won't knock me out unless someone else drives me home.

[quote] why would Percocet make you puke

All narcotic pain relievers make me puke. Vicodin is the worst. It makes me puke and the room spins around even when I close my eyes. The only way I can take a narcotic pain reliever is by taking Dramamine with it. Works.

My jawline is all swollen and bruised. I had the tooth removed 3 days ago. The oral surgeon kept saying in a sing-song voice, "It's okaaaay. No big deeeeeeal. It'll come out sooooon."

by Anonymousreply 1909/19/2013

too bad you couldn't have had a same day implant installed. That would have kept you pretty and avoided the pain.

by Anonymousreply 2009/19/2013

[quote]There is no clot. I don't think there ever was a clot. But there's definitely no clot.

Well not *now*, and one can't form if there's a bunch of saline in there.

by Anonymousreply 2109/19/2013

How can a clot form when I haven't bled since Monday?

by Anonymousreply 2209/19/2013

[]too bad you couldn't have had a same day implant installed. That would have kept you pretty and avoided the pain

Unfortunately Insurance companies don't pay for this little gem of a service. It's considered "cosmetic" which is absolute bullshit.

Dental health is one of those things we all get screwed on.

People NEED teeth to eat but it's one of the least insured health problems. Go figure. Tooth pain is one of the most mind-bending and depressing health issues out there. But it's the least covered.

I can go to a therapist for 15$ a pop. I can go to a Chiropractor 20 times for free.

If I had cancer, those treatments would be covered to some degree.

But no, I have chronic tooth decay and I can't afford to get my teeth fixed and must live in pain because .... why?

Fuck this world.

by Anonymousreply 2309/19/2013

Jesus, OP. Did you bleed during the surgery? Clearly you received the wrong advice. GO BACK to the dentist.

by Anonymousreply 2409/19/2013

[quote]Fuck this world.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 2509/19/2013

That's terrible, OP.

And right in front, too!

But please wash your fingers before you poke and prod your new and permanent hash-stash.

Feel better!

by Anonymousreply 2609/19/2013

Bullshit, R27.

by Anonymousreply 2809/19/2013

You need antibiotics. Your doctor should have given you a prescription for them along with the painkillers.

by Anonymousreply 2909/19/2013

I'm on antibiotics. I said so in my original post, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3009/19/2013

Did you get pain pills? The pain of a dry socket made me walk the floor in tears and the damn dentist gave me nothing, not even stitches. I bled for weeks...low life motherfucker!

by Anonymousreply 3109/19/2013

I had happen to me several years ago OP, and I know what kind of excruciating pain you are in. I suggest that you have your Oral Surgeons office contact a local dentist office who may be willing to impact it with medicine for you ASAP. Good Luck.

by Anonymousreply 3209/19/2013

^ "I had that happen to me several years ago"

I forgot to add that rinsing with saline may not be a good idea, you should ask the Dentist about that. You could also try impacting it with medicine yourself. Take a strip of gauze and cut it into a small enough piece to fit into the hole, soak it Anbesol and insert into the hole. You would have to change it out every 20 minutes or so, whereas the one the dentist will give you would last a day or so.

by Anonymousreply 3309/19/2013

That's a good advice about getting another dentist but I WOULD NOT get a suggestion from the lousy oral surgeon. What a pig. Burn down his office!

by Anonymousreply 3409/19/2013

The last time I had a tooth pulled my oral surgeon even called me in the evening to make sure I was OK. He had done everything right and I had no pain at all.

by Anonymousreply 3509/19/2013

It's better to take care of your teeth and avoid problems.

by Anonymousreply 3609/19/2013

Ugh, sorry for your pain, OP.

I had 4 teeth pulled at once and never had any problems at all.

Although the oral surgeon, prescribed mega doses of Advil and some other, stronger, pill, I don't remember the name, I made due with the ibuprofen.

Had to stop taking the ibuprofen after a while because the ibuprofen was making my heart hurt.

I kept gauze on the holes for about a day and that was it.

by Anonymousreply 3709/19/2013

F&F the infestation at R27.

by Anonymousreply 3809/19/2013

Ditto r35. I got a phone call too. No problems. I had anxiety and had to call back for a couple of reassurances but they were totally responsive.

by Anonymousreply 3909/20/2013

Fuck YOU r36.

Teeth are a genetic role of the dice.

You don't have to be a Meth head to end up with chronic problems.

And some people can never brush or floss and never have problems.

I've been seeing dentists since I was 13 and despite my own care, I have had cavities most of my life. I have a healthy diet. I am not some 3rd world kid. I eat well- meaning all the shit we're supposed to— veggies, protein, etc. I exercise. I eat well. I floss. I brush after every meal. I don't eat many sweets. etc. etc. etc.

My dentist has assured me repeatedly— it is just genetic.

I am now 40 years old and After two root canals I STILL had to have a tooth pulled because of excruciating pain and I have yet to afford a bridge to fix it because my insurance ran out. I still have multiple issues with my other teeth— a chipped tooth, pain, cavities, and discomfort. But there's nothing can be done about it until next year.

And even then I will still have devote most of any savings that I am able to acquire to getting root canals, crowns and or/replacements. Because fucking DENTAL is not insured as well as any other kind of chronic condition.

It is a roll of the fucking genetic dice. It Sucks. It is NOT my fault.

by Anonymousreply 4009/20/2013

Sometimes I think I should have had mine all pulled out at 40 and gotten false teeth. I get so tired of worrying about it and being broke.

by Anonymousreply 4109/20/2013

I'm thinking of doing just that r41.

My partner's Dad did that because his Dentist basically told him he had too.

I would consider it an investment.

I doubt insurance would pay for any of it though.

by Anonymousreply 4209/20/2013

My oral surgeon called me on Tuesday. My extraction was on Monday. I slep most of Tuesday because of the Dramamine I took to keep from throwing up. So I didn't feel so bad on Tuesday.

I'm still using the Red Cross toothache kit, which I recommend everyone keep in their home. Hey, you never know when you might need it. It contains cotton pellets, a tweezer and eugenol (the active ingredient of clove oil).

Today is the 4th post op day, and from what I've read online, it's the worst day. Hopefully, I'll feel better after this. My next appointment with the oral surgeon is on Monday. I just can't do the 3 hour round trip today b/c of nausea and feeling unwell.

R41/42, I have repeatedly said that I want all my teeth pulled and nobody will do it for me. Maybe I need to go down south. But where I live, nobody will take all of my teeth out. I have read about "all on four" dentures where you get your teeth taken out and they place 4 mini implants and you snap dentures onto the implants. It's costly, but a hell of a lot less costly than what my teeth have cost me so far in my life,

I don't live anywhere near Mexico, so that is not an option for me.

by Anonymousreply 4309/20/2013

[quote] And even then I will still have devote most of any savings that I am able to acquire to getting root canals, crowns and or/replacements.

I refuse to do any more root canals. The last tooth I had to have pulled had a root canal, post and crown only 2 years earlier. I paid about $4000 for that. Two years later, I had to pay to have it pulled, pay for an implant and soon I'll pay to have an abutment and cover -- about $5,000. That's $9,000 on one tooth. That's obscene.

Never again. From now on, the teeth are coming straight out. No middle man.

by Anonymousreply 4409/20/2013

OMG!

I looked up dry socket images and I found this.

This person has an alien baby in his mouth!

by Anonymousreply 4509/21/2013

Are you writing from Latvia? Where in hell would a dentist or oral surgeon so badly botch a procedure like this?

by Anonymousreply 4609/21/2013

You have no idea, R46.

by Anonymousreply 4709/21/2013

I don't believe I want to see that link.

by Anonymousreply 4809/21/2013

In earlier generations, you could go ahead and get your teeth pulled but now people look down on you if you haven't got $25 thousand to put into your teeth. I simply don't have it.

by Anonymousreply 4909/21/2013

R45, it looks like the little froggy we had to cut up in high school Biology class.

by Anonymousreply 5009/22/2013

Well, I did have a dry socket. I was able to make the drive on Monday. The oral surgeon packet it with clove paste, which doesn't taste as bad or is as irritating as pure clove oil.

I'm still having difficulty opening my mouth all the wy. I had a bowl of cereal this morning and went to put the spoon in my mouth -- most of the cereal fell on the floor because my mouth only opened a little bit. I didn't even think about it -- just shoved the spoon towards my mouth as usual without thinking about it.

The good news is I've lost 4 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 5109/24/2013

At this point, that doesn't sound like very good news. I still feel furious with the surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 5209/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.