Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When would you send a dish back?

I ordered calamari at a place in Newport recently and it incredibly greasy. Very nicely I stated this to the waitress, she had it promptly taken off the bill, and all was well.

Still, I was disappointed I didn't get to enjoy what should have been a good dish.

Under what circumstances do you send back food, aside from being given the wrong order altogether, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 8509/22/2013

slap them

by Anonymousreply 109/19/2013

I once had lunch at The King Edward, and not only did I have to ask for ketchup (like it's so expensive - they need to hide it), but my vichyssoise arrived cold. Sent it right back, and left no tip.

by Anonymousreply 209/19/2013

I only send it back if they completely fucked up the order.

Usually if it isn't as good as I would like I might note my complaint to the server or note it in my review on yelp.

It is very rare that a place I've gone to has sent me a dish that is so terrible I won't eat it, but then while I can be a harsh critic I'll still eat most things.

by Anonymousreply 309/19/2013

Just last week, I ordered a steak with sauteed mushrooms. The mushrooms arrived completely cold, so I mentioned it to the server. They offered to replace them (I declined). The manager stopped by to apologize and told me they removed it from the bill.

I think that's appropriate. If you don't say anything, how else can the manager follow up with the kitchen to avoid the problem with someone else?

When complaining, I'm unfailing polite and apologetic, and I avoid the option of replacements or take it back and fix it, just to be sure no one spits in it.

by Anonymousreply 409/19/2013

On the rare occasions the food just sucks, that's when I send it back.

by Anonymousreply 509/19/2013

If you send it back, don't eat the replacement dish.

by Anonymousreply 609/19/2013

Never, R6! If I send something back I expect it to be taken off the bill. I've done this with drinks as well that come fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 709/19/2013

My friends brother has twice sent back food at nice places. Not because it wasn't edible, but because it wasn't perfect. I now avoid going to dinner with him, I find him very Eurotrash even though he grew up in Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 809/19/2013

I would send something back if it were obviously wrong -- the wrong order, or clearly wrong in execution.

Otherwise, I'm not a very demanding customer, not one to make a lot of off-menu special requests and ask that this be substituted for that, and that be substituted for this, and that this prepared this way and not that, and that this thing be delivered on the side, and 39 questions about the organic-ness of the organic beef and the pedigree of the heritage tomatoes, and could the chef prepare something very special for me because, well, I'm very special, you see.

(You know the sort.)

by Anonymousreply 909/19/2013

[quote]I once had lunch at The King Edward, and not only did I have to ask for ketchup (like it's so expensive - they need to hide it

Unless you are having a a side of fries/frites no real restaurant wants to see their customers using freakin ketchup. You know nothing about food if you don't realize this.

Ketchup completely overpowers and hides the flavors of the dish that the kitchen took care in preparing.

You slather ketchup on crappy food to make it palatable, this is what you are doing to a chef's dish.

by Anonymousreply 1009/19/2013

R10: Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1109/19/2013

Agree r10, ketchup is awful, even on fries it's gross.

by Anonymousreply 1209/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 1309/19/2013

I am much more particular at a nice, expensive restaurant. I will send a $40 steak back for being anything less than perfect. A steakhouse should know how to prepare a steak correctly (and they usually do). If I am at a cheaper place (chain restaurant like Cheesecake Factory) I will rarely complain, if ever.

by Anonymousreply 1409/19/2013

I can't remember the last time I sent a dish back. I'm careful about where I eat. I like tablecloths and a serene environment, etc. I'm more likely to walk out before I'm seated if the ambiance isn't right. However I have a cousin in Spain who regularly sends food back. It doesn't matter what he orders - its going back. My impression is that he thinks he appears to be a sophisticated high brown with a discerning palate by acting this way. The behavior is obnoxious and disruptive.

by Anonymousreply 1509/19/2013

Having friends who work/ have worked as servers, I rarely send anything back for fear of what I'll get.

What I can't stand is improperly cooked beef. Medium rare is perhaps the hardest thing to communicate to the kitchen, via the server. In most steakhouses, they cook meat over a too-hot grill, in order for a fast turnover of diners.

Medium rare steaks normally come out as rare/uncooked in the center, or well done.

I have one friend who orders filet "mignon" well done. It tastes like beef liver. It kills my soul.

by Anonymousreply 1609/19/2013

I ordered tots and got fries recently. It was easily remedied

by Anonymousreply 1709/19/2013

I don't have a standard reaction to a standard situation. I've been to the same restaurant 2 different times and ordered a plate which came with hair. First time it was in the dessert and I mentioned it to the server. No apology, no taking it off the check. Second time it came in my mail meal. I sent it back, they gave me a new one, but they didn't take it off the check until I protested.

by Anonymousreply 1809/19/2013

I would and have sent things back only when it's raw or severely under cooked. Salmon I like med, not partially raw, and I communicate that to the waiter. If they don't follow my instructions, I send it back asking them to cook it more. With raw chicken, it goes back. Period.

by Anonymousreply 1909/19/2013

I've never seen raw chicken before in a restaurant, they usually cook it to Cinders

by Anonymousreply 2009/19/2013

[quote]My friends brother has twice sent back food at nice places. Not because it wasn't edible, but because it wasn't perfect. I now avoid going to dinner with him, I find him very Eurotrash even though he grew up in Wisconsin.

Along those same lines, I have a cousin that I grew up with. We both went away to school and after our Freshman year, we got together for a meal. He sent his food back because his food was "touching" on the plate. He never had this issue before so I thought it was extremely bizarre and pretentious. I stopped going to meals with him after that (as I didn't want what the kitchen staff were sure to send out). I hear he still does this.

by Anonymousreply 2109/19/2013

[quote]I've been to the same restaurant 2 different times and ordered a plate which came with hair.

R18, I would not have gone there the second time.

by Anonymousreply 2309/19/2013

I was a cook in a restaurant - not a chain, nice atmosphere and perfectly ordinary menu and food.

My experience was that at least 75% of problems with orders and food coming back - was due to wait staff. Especially cold food and hair in food.

by Anonymousreply 2409/19/2013

Was it pubes? I bet it was pubes.

by Anonymousreply 2509/19/2013

I'm sure the "raw chicken" that r19 is talking about simply wasn't cooked to cinders R20.

I've seen many of those types that just because something isn't cooked to hell it is "raw". That's fine if you want something cooked well, but the misinformation and hysterics of some people is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 2609/19/2013

R22 could we please keep race out of this?

by Anonymousreply 2709/19/2013

If it's not cooked properly, as in the meat is under or over cooked or the sauce is ice cold or whatever. I won't arbitrarily send something back if it's just not to my liking, though, unless I feel there is something actually "wrong" with it. I hate making a fuss and I empathize with wait staff, having worked service jobs like that in the past. When I eat out I just want to relax and have fun, not cause a scene or be "that guy".

I had a friend who would send her entree back more often than not. She would always find something wrong with a dish when it was just her being finicky and difficult. Dining out with her was never enjoyable. We're no longer friends.

by Anonymousreply 2809/19/2013

Would depend on which Newport I was in. Rhode Island, send it back, California, murder the chef.

by Anonymousreply 2909/19/2013

I have twice. One time, I made the mistake of ordering a brunch 'special' that was something containing duck confit. I should have realised that it would be leftover duck from last night's dinner and it was dry and stringy. I, too, worked as a waiter and I know what goes on in the kitchen so I do not ever order a second dish. I just sit there until the rest of the party is finished.

The second time, I was with a large group and somehow they forgot my order. I had to ask twice and they finally brought it out just when everybody else was finishing up. I told them it was too late because we had to be somewhere and I didn't want to have to bolt it down. They tried to get me to take it to go and they gave me a fight about taking it off the check. The person who was handling the check told the waiter that the cost of my entree was about what he had intended to tip. So, they could take my entree off the check or they would not leave a tip.

by Anonymousreply 3009/19/2013

I never send dishes back, I just throw it on the waiter's face.

by Anonymousreply 3109/19/2013

The only time I did this was at Cosi, I ordered some sort of sandwich and it was inedible. I went up to the cashier and said "This is the most disgusting thing I've ever been served." She looked at me blankly and then said "Do you want another one?"

I've never had to send something back in a real restaurant. I've ordered things that weren't what I thought they were going to be or that didn't taste great to me, but never bad enough to send back. Isn't that awkward when you are out with other people? Do they stop eating to wait with you? Or do they finish and then you have to eat your meal when everyone is done?

by Anonymousreply 3209/19/2013

I was at a company dinner function in an Atlanta-area restaurant a couple of years ago. There must have been about 15 - 20 of us.

The woman ordered prime rib and got a REALLY rare, inside piece. She asked the server if he would take it back to the kitchen and have it cooked a little more to medium. He told her "No, that's how its supposed to be served."

She asked another server who answered, "Sure, I don't like mine this rare, either." It was returned, a little less raw, and she was happy.

I rarely (no pun intended) order steak out. Although I love it, it is almost never served to my liking which is medium rare.

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is notorious for this, mainly because their steaks are the size of small children. I do find that I can eat around the outside and take home the more rare interior for leftovers cooked to the way I like it.

There's a French restaurant in Harlem that makes a wonderful skirt steak but, no matter that I order it medium rare, there is always that one small section that is so rare the steak knife won't even cut through. I realized the skirt steak is an itty bitty think that overcooks quickly so I just deal with the 2 bites I can't eat.

by Anonymousreply 3309/19/2013

R33, maybe you should be ordering your steaks medium.

by Anonymousreply 3409/19/2013

R21 your cousin may be my brother! Are you from TX perchance?

He cannot have his food touching on the plate, either. It is so weird.

by Anonymousreply 3509/19/2013

I NEVER send food back. All those who do have no idea what is happening to the food before it comes back to them. Let me tell you it isn't pretty.

Just reflect your disappointment by never going there again.

If you send food back, people will wipe their hole with their finger then run it across your plate, or stick boogers in it, or saliva, etc. There is no way I'd ever send it back, no sireee.

by Anonymousreply 3609/19/2013

Not only should you never send food back and request another, if you've made any complaints whatsoever or if anyone's been remotely rude to the staff, no one in your party should ask for a refill, order another item or dessert, or really even show up again for a long time. They remember that shit and will get you the next time.

by Anonymousreply 3709/19/2013

Random that you said Texas...

But the real question is, did your brother pick up this habit only after going away to school?

by Anonymousreply 3809/19/2013

Can you send it back if it's cold or is that also considered an insult?

by Anonymousreply 3909/19/2013

R33, listen to R34, you don't like meat medium rare, quite pretending like you do.

People like you encourage kitchens to overcook medium rare meat for those of us to do like it because they might think the customer "doesn't really mean medium rare".

by Anonymousreply 4009/19/2013

As an ex waiter, I was never, ever bothered by someone sending something back. Most people were great about it: "I'm so sorry, but I just don't like this the way I thought it was. Could I order something else?" No biggie. I patron should get something that taste good to them. If they were incredibly rude about it, well, it came with the territory. Some people are just bitches. And in my five years as a waiter, I never once saw anyone in the back do anything suspect to replacement dishes.

by Anonymousreply 4109/19/2013

Thank you R41. I worked in a restaurant and later did catering, both years ago by now, and I never even heard anyone joke about doing things to food that gets sent back. Not once.

It must be a millenial thing. I have this friend who's 31, and he is absolutely nuts on never sending things back, or doing anything that could piss off a waiter in any way, shape, or form.

by Anonymousreply 4209/19/2013

I almost never send food back... the only exceptions are if it's inedible (not just to me subjectively but to any reasonable person) or if they really fucked it up. The last time I recall sending something back was a risotto that was so extremely salty I could not swallow it. Whoever prepared it must have mistakenly as much as 10x the right amount of salt. I heard the server say to a coworker "that's the 3rd one, we have to say something (to the kitchen)."

My partner used to keep kosher and had to send food back a few times based on "hold the bacon" being ignored. It was funny in that there was a don't-ask-don't-tell dynamic to what would then ensue: the waitstaff would take the dish back, remove the bacon, bring it out again like it was a new dish, and my partner would pretend they'd prepared a new one for him. Theologically I guess that counted, if he could plead ignorance to God or whatever. I'm glad he is no longer that observant.

by Anonymousreply 4309/19/2013

R41 and R42, I think it's the Internet -- sites like stainedapron and bitterwaitress, where oft-disgusting tales of waitstaff revenge are posted.

Some of the postings are probably revenge fantasies and nothing more, but they are posted as claims that the story actually happened.

The one I'll never forget is the story (on one of those sites) where a douchebag customer was giving the waiter a hard time, seemingly to impress his (dbag's) girlfriend/dinner date. The waiter was getting more and more fed up and finally got revenge at the end. Before serving the couple their two individually wrapped mints, he went to the mens' bathroom, unrwapped each mint, shoved it up his butt, then butt-popped it back out, removed any obvious fecal matter and rewrapped it. Yes, they ate the mints. Again, probably fantasy but posted as true.

by Anonymousreply 4409/19/2013

[quote]My partner used to keep kosher and had to send food back a few times based on "hold the bacon" being ignored

How is it kosher if he's eating food from a kitchen that is cooking with bacon? It goes without saying that such a kitchen isn't set up with separate sinks and counters and pots and pans to keep apart meat and dairy.

by Anonymousreply 4509/19/2013

Being an ex-waiter I will try to never send something back, but I'm also a vegetarian and sometimes the servers either lie or don't realize something isn't vegetarian after I have asked about the dish.

I had to send some lentil soup the other day at a Ukrainian place in the East Village. I asked the server if it was vegetarian and answered in the affirmative. When it arrived it smelled like it was in beef broth- I had a friend taste it, and sure enough it was. When I told the server about it, she said, "Well there's no actual meat in the soup. It's just the broth. I didn't realize that counted!"

by Anonymousreply 4609/19/2013

I try to eat what I've ordered unless it was completely wrong.

I did get my money back on a greasy plate of "sautéed" veggies once. The were literally soaked in grease that was running around the plate. The waiter noticed it- took it off the bill.

One time at a clutter-wall suburb chain I ordered a burger done medium-well. I took a bite and saw that it was very pink inside.

I asked the waiter to have it re-done and waited for the replacement. What came back to me was the very same burger— burnt black with my same bite mark. They had just thrown the same patty on the grill- fried it to a crisp — then put it back on the plate.

I didn't want it so the waiter took it off the bill but offered no substitutions. I was left hungry.

I was young then and very passive I would never stand for such a thing today. Today I would have asked to see the manager. The very idea.

by Anonymousreply 4709/19/2013

[quote]I patron should get something that taste good to them.

by Anonymousreply 4809/19/2013

R44, there's no way that story is true. Two people ate the mints? Out of a table of two people? Right at the table? That never happens. Maybe one person eats one. Maybe the woman puts them in her purse or the guy stuffs them in his pocket but 100% of the people at a table eating the after dinner mint? No.

by Anonymousreply 4909/19/2013

[quote]How is it kosher if he's eating food from a kitchen that is cooking with bacon? It goes without saying that such a kitchen isn't set up with separate sinks and counters and pots and pans to keep apart meat and dairy.

It's not kosher, you're right. He was in an intermediate stage then, where he would order in non kosher restaurants but not order any meat or non-kosher seafood. Thread digression, sorry. I am just glad he liberalized even further.

by Anonymousreply 5009/19/2013

There's two different reasons to send things back:

1. If the order wasn't prepared as it was asked. That should ALWAYS be sent back. But be polite about it. No one ever screws up an order on purpose. Accidents happen. (and be sure to remember if you actually said "no onions" or just thought you did!). As an ex-waiter, this never ever bothered me. Even if the person was a little annoyed. I'd be too. Not tipping on an accident is an asshole move, unless the waiter is a dick about it. Then it's totally deserved.

2. The patron just didn't like it. This happens. This isn't really anyone's fault. The patron should be very, very polite this. So, of course, should the waiter. Not tipping on this is just silly. It's not the waiter's fault a patron didn't like the dish, assuming it was prepared as the menu said it would be.

Just be cool about things. No restaurant employee wants a patron to have a bad experience. Ever. Killing with kindness and all that.

by Anonymousreply 5109/19/2013

The question is - do you tip if you perceive the error as the waitstaff issue?

Mistakes happen and I don't often blame the waitstaff unless they're quite obviously rude and or "too busy" to be bothered with the details of your order. Or they ignore a glaring error in the order or a glaring issue with your food that should be obvious.

Even in that case, if food is taken off the bill for being wrong or bad- I still tip them. Everyone has bad days, etc.

I would hope the waitstaff would be accepting of their own error in most cases.

by Anonymousreply 5209/19/2013

R43, if you're keeping kosher, you can't eat in restaurants that aren't kosher. There's more to it than not eating lobster and bacon.

by Anonymousreply 5309/19/2013

You have to wash things in separate containers, so no.

by Anonymousreply 5409/19/2013

R52 Possibly because I was a waiter for a while earlier in life, I next to never leave a bad tip. The lowest I leave is 15%. Usually 20%. Sometimes more when the service is excellent, or if the waiter is so cute and so flirty when I'm eating alone that I'm on the verge of asking him to plate his penis.

by Anonymousreply 5509/19/2013

r51 has it.

Those are my experiences for the most part. I tip well when the waiter is extra helpful and even notices the problems i.e. "OH- did you not like that, can i get you something else?"

Most of the places I go to around town I'm a regular at and they're small so the manager is always there to check in and see how things are going. I find the wait-staff at local joint much more willing to help the custOmer with order problems than chains - where the rules are so strict the waiters are terrified of being docked.

by Anonymousreply 5609/19/2013

I once ordered a Monte Cristo sandwich in a diner in a small town. The menu noted that it was grilled. It arrived deep fried and soaking in a puddle of grease (on a paper doily wholly inadequate to the demands placed on it). The sandwich had been dusted with a heap of powdered sugar which was mostly melted into the greasy mess. Obviously, the deep fryer was kept at too low a temperature, so the sandwich was just a sponge.

I called the waitress over, held up the sandwich and squeezed it slightly so a stream of fryer grease flowed out of it onto the poor, overburden doily. She smiled and said quietly, "Oh I know, honey. They always come out like that. Can I get you something else?"

I just finished my coffee and left.

by Anonymousreply 5709/19/2013

R57, you eat at a diner, you get a diner waitress.

by Anonymousreply 5809/19/2013

Actually, Alice @ R58, the waitress was a hoot. I loved chatting with her while I was finishing the coffee, and I tipped her as though the meal had stayed on the bill.

by Anonymousreply 5909/19/2013

This happens rarely, but what really annoys me is when a dish is incorrectly described in the menu. I was with a group of friends at an upscale-ish restaurant I had been to before and had enjoyed. I ordered a pasta dish with pesto sauce. The main courses were very late in coming to the table. And when mine finally arrived, it was pasta with red sauce and maybe some basil in it.

When I complained, the waiter took it off the bill, but I wasn't able to get an explanation of why red sauce was called "pesto" on the menu, either from him or from the manager who came to my table to apologize. Since our whole group was going to a show, I didn't have time to order anything else. Good thing I had an appetizer.

by Anonymousreply 6009/19/2013

What do you do if you see a cockroach crawl across your table? I live in Denver, and went to a Mexican restaurant (Hacienda) with a group of six to celebrate a friends birthday. While we were eating our chips and salsa, I spotted a cockroach crawling across the table. He went under the table. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to ruin everyone's evening.

by Anonymousreply 6109/19/2013

I rarely send something back, unless it arrives cold or the order is messed up. If the foods horrible I just make a note to not return.

But the weirdest thing I ever witnessed was a few years ago at the IHOP in Palm Springs. A friend of friends was visiting from New York. He kept mentioning he was from New York. OK, I get it. You're from New York.

Anyway, he ordered a steak. At IHOP. And he kept sending it back and finally ran back to the kitchen and we could hear him screaming "don't you people know how to cook a steak?"

Um, we're at IHOP moron. Order pancakes and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 6209/19/2013

R61 nothing. 100% of restaurants have roaches. It is a fact my friend.

by Anonymousreply 6309/19/2013

"What is this? Is this what I ordered? It doesn't look anything like the picture in the menu!"

by Anonymousreply 6409/19/2013

OP i hope you never step foot in my restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 6509/20/2013

I had a time where I ordered a dish that I didn't like and I wasn't going to say anything, but then the waitress comes back a few minutes later and said, "Is your meal OK?". My motto is don't ask if you're not prepared to hear something you might not like, and I said, "Honestly, it's not as good as I thought it would be," and the waitress was more than happy to ask if I wanted something else, so I sent it back and got something better.

by Anonymousreply 6609/20/2013

R61 you're nasty.

You tell everyone, you get up, you announce it LOUDLY, then you leave.

by Anonymousreply 6709/20/2013

Two instances both with salmon- the first was a steakhouse that overlooked the salon to he point that is mush! The manager promptly bought out a new salmon hat was perfectly cooked

The second was at another local restaurant. I ordered the Cajun blackened salmon and what came out was a grilled salmon fillet with what I assume was the Cajun blackening seasoning piled on top, seemingly after being cooked with zero blackening! It also tasted salty to the point of being in edible. The waitress replaced it bt first tried to educate me about Cajun food and how it was very spicy.

by Anonymousreply 6809/20/2013

I now avoid going to dinner with him, I find him very Eurotrash even though he grew up in Wisconsin

R8 I don't get it. What's eurotrash got to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 6909/20/2013

I sent salmon back once at a Thai restaurant. It smelled at least three days past its sell-by date. I was shocked whoever cooked it couldn't smell how rotten it was.

by Anonymousreply 7009/20/2013

Is R68 drunk?

by Anonymousreply 7109/20/2013

Warm-served food that arrives cold.

Anything that is "off," "sour" or "foul".

If there's something else really wrong - like OP if calamari arrived and it were swimming in oil, I'd send it back.

I don't send something back merely because it isn't very good.

by Anonymousreply 7209/20/2013

I would never dream of sending something back because I didn't like it. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 7309/20/2013

I sent back scallops at a Japanese buffet because they tasted of mineral oil. The hostess checked and they did indeed mix in a batch of older scallops that had mineral oil in them. They tossed the lot.

I also recently got a batch of Kentucky Fried Chicken about 1/2 hour before closing. They asked if I was willing to wait for fresh batch, which I did. Got it home and it smelled (and a bite tasted) like they'd somehow gotten cleaning fluid or soap in the batter. I didn't complain, but threw it all out.

by Anonymousreply 7409/20/2013

The only thing I've sent back was a bottle of wine at The Palm.

The wine was expensive and was highly recommended by the sommelier.

It was off. At first he didn't believe me, told me it was a very fine wine and couldn't be off. I insisted he taste it himself, and then he was so embarrassed he couldn't stop apologizing.

by Anonymousreply 7509/20/2013

The idea that kitchen staff are doing all sorts of unspeakable things to food that is politely and respectfully sent back is paranoid. I don't know where you eat, but in my town we have things like "the health department" and professional reputations. I seriously doubt there is an industry-wide conspiracy to tamper with diners' food when they send it back. I don't think most restaurant owners, managers or chefs would put up with that, nor would they get away with it for long. Also, I'm pretty sure restaurant workers eat out like the rest of us, too. Would they do that if they knew the kitchen was a hotbed of scatological, retaliatory food tampering? Adjust your tinhats, ladies. You sound nuts.

by Anonymousreply 7609/20/2013

R34 and R40, the problem with ordering medium is that, while the inside is pink, the outer meat is grey and dry.

I broil my steaks at home (gas oven and broiler) so I'm able to cook to my liking. I understand that many places use an open grill and can't regulate the distance from the flame as I can.

As I stated in my post, I don't send anything back, understand the issue the kitchen has cooking, and deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 7709/20/2013

R69, I couldn't think of a better descriptor at the time. Pretentious might be better.

by Anonymousreply 7809/20/2013

Really R74? A freakin buffet and KFC?!

I went to a crap place, ordered crap food, and it tasted like crap! The problem is coming from inside the house.

by Anonymousreply 7909/20/2013

R76, some years ago, a Taco Bell where I lived went out of business after an employee was observed spitting into a taco to be served to a uniformed sheriff. He didn't even know the guy, and the sheriff hadn't done anything to upset him. He just had a thing against law enforcement.

At a restaurant where I used to work, I watched a chef drop a just-cooked steak onto the very grimy floor, pick it up and plate it.

Also, back in high school, a guy I knew bragged about pissing on the frozen hamburger patties in the walk-in at a coffee shop where he worked because he was pissed off at the manager.

No, I don't think these kind of things are rampant in the industry, but they do happen even without the staff being upset at a customer.

by Anonymousreply 8009/20/2013

[quote]The idea that kitchen staff are doing all sorts of unspeakable things to food that is politely and respectfully sent back is paranoid. I don't know where you eat, but in my town we have things like "the health department" and professional reputations. I seriously doubt there is an industry-wide conspiracy to tamper with diners' food when they send it back. I don't think most restaurant owners, managers or chefs would put up with that, nor would they get away with it for long. Also, I'm pretty sure restaurant workers eat out like the rest of us, too. Would they do that if they knew the kitchen was a hotbed of scatological, retaliatory food tampering? Adjust your tinhats, ladies. You sound nuts.

You sound like an idiot. Do you think that the Health Department is in each and every kitchen at all hours watching over each cook as they prepare food to make sure nothing off is going on? Do you think owners and managers are doing the same?

Your example of restaurant workers eating out as well is also stupid. Yes, idiot, because people always treat and only do things based on how they want to be treated. No one in the history of the world does something to someone and the minute it happens to them cries why me.

by Anonymousreply 8109/20/2013

I HATE it when they overlook the salon.

by Anonymousreply 8209/20/2013

I was a little drunk when I made that post, but even drunks deserve properly prepared salmon!

by Anonymousreply 8309/22/2013

[quote]100% of restaurants have roaches.

Diana Vreeland once wrote about finding a roach on the table at Maxim's in Paris, at the height of their reputation. It happens.

[quote]he ordered a steak. At IHOP. And he kept sending it back and finally ran back to the kitchen

I have a friend who fancies herself a wine connoisseur. (She's not.) She orders a glass of wine and invariably sends it back and orders another (more expensive). The second glass is always "exquisite."

I used to get embarrassed but now I just laugh behind my hand, or the menu.

by Anonymousreply 8409/22/2013

Right R84 - "exquisite" with the blob of spit they stirred into it! Has she never thought of that?

by Anonymousreply 8509/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!