iOS 7

Your tricks and tips.

by Anonymousreply 6810/06/2013

Protip: Buy a real computer.

by Anonymousreply 109/19/2013

how do u close down apps ? i can't figure it out

by Anonymousreply 209/19/2013

[quote]how do u close down apps ? i can't figure it out

You double-tap the Home button as before, then you swipe up on the thumbnail of the app you want to close (not the app icon, as in previous versions).

by Anonymousreply 309/19/2013

how do you love?

by Anonymousreply 409/19/2013

thanks r3! that worked!

by Anonymousreply 509/19/2013

[quote]how do you love?

I'm sorry. I do not understand what you mean by "love". Do you want me to look it up?

by Anonymousreply 609/19/2013

You punch and delete. The app won't bother you ever again.

by Anonymousreply 709/19/2013

So far I'm a fan of iTunes Radio. Much better than Pandora.

by Anonymousreply 809/19/2013

Someone who loves me switch the (OS7)radio On!

by Anonymousreply 909/19/2013

I can't find iTunes radio.

by Anonymousreply 1009/19/2013

Can I turn off the sliding between programs? It makes me dizzy.

by Anonymousreply 1109/19/2013

[quote]I can't find iTunes radio.

It took me a while, too. It's in the Music app, which is now red. Radio is the button on the bottom left.

by Anonymousreply 1309/19/2013

iTunes radio is not available in my country! WTF?!?! I want the radio too :(

by Anonymousreply 1409/19/2013

Loser

by Anonymousreply 1509/19/2013

R12, can you only block contacts from calling? How about people who have called you and are in your recent call list? What happens to people you've blocked? DO they go right to voicemail or get told you aren't taking their call?

I'm liking iTunes Radio. Not really impressed with the rest of it.

by Anonymousreply 1609/19/2013

Is iOS 7 available to download if you have the iPhone 5?

by Anonymousreply 1709/19/2013

iTunes Radio: Apple finally catching up with the rest of the universe (Windows Phone has had it for years and years, Android too... Pandora, Spotify, etc., etc...)

by Anonymousreply 1809/19/2013

[quote]Is iOS 7 available to download if you have the iPhone 5?

Yes. It's for iPhone 4S, 5, 5S and 5C. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. In fact, you should already have a notification on the Software Update.

by Anonymousreply 1909/19/2013

I didn't get Apple Radio in the upgrade. The spot where it should be is Playlists.

by Anonymousreply 2009/19/2013

R18, iPhones have had Pandora, Spotify, etc., etc... for years.

by Anonymousreply 2109/19/2013

Nobody is saying they didn't, R21...

by Anonymousreply 2209/19/2013

R20, your country probably doesn't support it. Mine doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 2309/19/2013

It's also for iPhone 4, R19.

by Anonymousreply 2409/19/2013

R24, the version you get on the iPhone 4 is very different and far more limited compared to the others... and a lot slower.

I've seen a lot of people recommend that iPhone 4 users NOT upgrade.

It looks very different (translucent effects are dropped, for example), and many features don't exist (like the new camera filters and features aren't there, as just one example).

Most iPhone 4 users should be eligible for upgrades, and that's probably their best option for getting iOS7 ... trading up to a 5c or 5s.

by Anonymousreply 2509/19/2013

R25, I have an iPhone 4 and upgraded just fine. I don't need to have the newest toy every time Apple decides to release a new phone version. besides, I currently have unlimited data plan that if I upgraded to one of the newer phones with 4G, I would lose that option. One more reason for me not to waste my money on a new phone I don't really need.

by Anonymousreply 2609/19/2013

Yeah, the losing the unlimited plan and having to update to a newer plan is a big issue.

I bit the bullet last year though. Now I have a 4GB plan (only once have I come close to going over). My monthly cost literally doubled because I was on a much cheaper grandfathered plan that wasn't available any more, plus I got the new 'hotspot' option along with LTE.

But the LTE speeds are amazing (faster than my home wireless). It's difficult to justify the expense in many cases (especially if you simply can't afford it in your budget)... but I can afford it (knock on wood, being thankful for that), and I've convinced myself it was worth it :-)

by Anonymousreply 2709/19/2013

R26, are you using ATT?

I also have the iPhone 4 and upgraded it yesterday. My phone is in perfect condition and don't feel the need to upgrade especially if it causes my monthly bill to go up. I'd probably look at other carriers before I upgrade.

I also don't feel like locking myself into another 2 year contract.

by Anonymousreply 2809/19/2013

Buzzfeed did a great post about iOS7's new features.

by Anonymousreply 2909/19/2013

R22,

R18 said "iTunes Radio: Apple finally catching up with the rest of the universe (Windows Phone has had it for years and years, Android too... Pandora, Spotify, etc., etc...)"

Reads like R18 is implying that Apple didn't offer any kind of radio options with statements like "Apple finally catching up with the rest of the universe."

The majority of those app started on iPhones before they became available on Android.

by Anonymousreply 3009/19/2013

R25, you're my favorite troll. I get a little smile every time an Apple/Windows/tech thread appears because I know you'll pop up. You are fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 3109/19/2013

R23, I'm in the US. Flyover country, granted, but still the US.

by Anonymousreply 3209/19/2013

It's not that I can't afford it, it's that I really don't need it. I don't watch videos on my phone, rarely use it to access the internet or apps like Facebook or Twitter. I mainly used it for email, texting and as a phone, so there's no need for me to have the latest and fastest, really.

by Anonymousreply 3309/19/2013

Am I the only one who doesn't care for the new UI? I hate the new icons. I really, really hate them.

by Anonymousreply 3509/19/2013

[quote]Reads like R18 is implying that Apple didn't offer any kind of radio options with statements like "Apple finally catching up with the rest of the universe."

It should read like "Pandora, Spotify, etc" are part of the universe that Apple is finally catching up with, by adding this feature to iTunes.

I didn't think this was difficult to comprehend, but I guess it must be. It seems really clear to me.

Everyone else in the universe offered streaming music and customizable "radio stations", except Apple. Now they do. So they've finally caught up with the rest of the universe.

It's not about what can RUN on an iPhone, it's about the services that Apple itself offers.

by Anonymousreply 3609/19/2013

[quote]It's not that I can't afford it, it's that I really don't need it. I don't watch videos on my phone, rarely use it to access the internet or apps like Facebook or Twitter. I mainly used it for email, texting and as a phone, so there's no need for me to have the latest and fastest, really.

That's perfectly valid.

I certainly never meant to imply otherwise. I was talking more generally, rather than specifically about you and your situation.

If you don't want or need it, you certainly shouldn't feel obligated to pay for it.

I made the decision that I did want it, and the trade off for me was in order to have it, I had to give up my grandfathered plan and accept a doubling of my monthly cost, and losing my unlimited data plan.

Other people's mileage may vary according to their wants and needs and budget.

by Anonymousreply 3709/19/2013

Thanks for that link, r29. It was a quick and helpful summary of iOS 7.

by Anonymousreply 3809/19/2013

The new interface looks like shit. Does everything on earth have to look cheap now? Did someone pass a law? A UN Resolution?

by Anonymousreply 3909/19/2013

I like the new wallpaper options, especially the moving bubbles. What wallpaper have you chosen?

by Anonymousreply 4009/19/2013

[bold]iOS 7 Lock Screen Vulnerability Gives Access to Photos, Email[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 4109/19/2013

R41, there's an easy fix for that.

PS: No one wants to look at your photos.

by Anonymousreply 4209/19/2013

OMG! Do you mean strangers can see me NUDE?

by Anonymousreply 4309/19/2013

[bold]Apple's Dumbest, Sloppiest iOS 7 Screwups, Collected in One Tumblr[/bold]

So it's come to this. We knew iOS 7 had some dumb and frustrating imperfections, but hadn't scoured every bit of it for flaws in the small details that Apple used to nail. Well, some industrious design head has given Apple's new OS a proper fisking, and put all the screwups on a Tumblr (see link).

The errors range from poor alignment to strange color selection to clipping errors to idiotic information organization to flatly unusable chunks of screen. Maybe they won't get to you. Once you start noticing them, they probably will. Almost makes you miss the days when a calendar icon once a month and a fake bookshelf were the biggest problems in iOS.

by Anonymousreply 4409/19/2013

[bold]Apple Can Read Your iMessages "Whenever They Want,” Researchers Claim[/bold]

Apple says that when people communicate using its iMessage service, their chats are secured using strong encryption. But security researchers are questioning the company’s claims after uncovering what they say is a flaw that enables the messages to be spied on.

Back in April, Apple’s iMessage service attracted attention after a document showed that the Drug Enforcement Agency was complaining internally about not being able to snoop on communications sent using the service. Apple has consistently said that the messages are exchanged using "secure end-to-end encryption," meaning it can’t hand them over to authorities. Even after the technology giant was linked to the National Security Agency ‘s PRISM surveillance program in June, it put out a statement reiterating that iMessage conversations “are protected by end-to-end encryption so no one but the sender and receiver can see or read them. Apple cannot decrypt that data.”

However, it seems that the service is not as secure as Apple would like to have you believe. Two researchers at the security firm Quarkslab claim that they have been studying the protocol used by iMessage, and that “Apple can technically read your iMessages whenever they want.” The researchers, who are due to present their findings at the HITB Security Conference in Asia in October, have apparently found a way to circumvent the encryption using a so-called “man-in-the-middle” attack, which usually involves a hacker covertly bypassing the encryption by using a fake security certificate.

That this may be possible with iMessage is not evidence that Apple has been covertly reading people’s messages, but it does mean that the company’s encryption is vulnerable to being exploited by a sophisticated hacker group or spy agency. One of the Quarkslab researchers told Techcrunch that “the iMessage protocol is strong,” though added that “Apple or a powerful institution (NSA is randomly chosen as an example) could tamper with it.” The researchers say that they are planning to release a tool that will shield against potential iMessage snooping attacks, and hope to work with Apple to strengthen the security of the service. Apple had not responded to a request for comment at time of publication.

by Anonymousreply 4509/19/2013

can I only search by asking SIRI?

that sucks

by Anonymousreply 4609/19/2013

I love that I can now block anyone who calls me.

by Anonymousreply 4709/19/2013

[quote]I love that I can now block anyone who calls me.

I love that feature too. Thankfully, I've been enjoying it on my Android for the past few years!

by Anonymousreply 4809/19/2013

I don't see the point, who calls you who you want to block?

by Anonymousreply 4909/20/2013

R49, are you just stupid, or do you not actually have a phone?

by Anonymousreply 5009/20/2013

I almost never call anyone, only text.

I don't know anyone I would want to block

by Anonymousreply 5109/20/2013

Apparently you never use your number. It doesn't take long before it gets on some list, and suddenly you're getting solicitation calls.

Maybe you just never, ever spend any money...

by Anonymousreply 5209/20/2013

R52, I only text

I own a LANDLINE for calls, thanks

by Anonymousreply 5409/20/2013

This video is labled "My son's reaction to iOS7", but it reminds me exactly of most people's reaction to Windows 8 as well:

by Anonymousreply 5509/20/2013

[quote]I don't see the point, who calls you who you want to block?

It doesn't just block calls but iMessage and FaceTime as well. I've blocked a few ex-friends who still try to text me since updating on Wednesday, the real-world equivalent of punching and deleting.

by Anonymousreply 5609/20/2013

Bolding the font in Settings is the only way I can deal with Ive's retina fuckery of Helvetica Neue.

As for the Weather app: try working out how to delete a city.

I'll save you the endless hair tearing: you press the Plus sign. (And then swipe the city to the left to expose a delete option.) Which smug hipster signed off on that brain melter deserves a smack in the chops.

by Anonymousreply 5709/20/2013

R54 , you never get robo calls on your LANDLINE? I just trolldared you. You're dumber than dirt. But you don't type fat.

by Anonymousreply 5809/20/2013

R55, that cracks me up

by Anonymousreply 5909/20/2013

How do you block callers now?

by Anonymousreply 6009/20/2013

[quote]can I only search by asking SIRI?

No. Swipe down from the top row of icons on any home page and a search window should appear.

by Anonymousreply 6109/20/2013

answered my own question.

by Anonymousreply 6209/20/2013

Has anyone with a 4s upgraded? I'm wondering how it's affected your battery life and if the processor is able to handle the UI and apps satisfactorily.

by Anonymousreply 6309/29/2013

[bold]11 Tips to Keep iOS 7 From Destroying Your Battery Life[/bold]

While your iPhone's new operating system comes with plenty of advantages, iOS 7's not without its drawbacks. Battery life just ain't quite what you'd want it to be, but we've got some tips to squeeze the most out of that sucker and stay juiced all day long.

Many of iOS 7's fancy new features are handy if you need/want them. If you don't, they're just eating away at that precious battery life behind the scenes, and give you exactly zero help for your trouble. So shut 'em down.

(see link for tips)

by Anonymousreply 6409/29/2013

Is there a quick way to make a Facebook post? Pre iOS 7, I think you could swipe the top of the screen and it would give you options like Facebook, Twitter, etc but it appears to be gone now.

by Anonymousreply 6509/29/2013

I upgraded my 4s to OS7. The battery life is only a little worse. The interface is growing on me. One thing I love is swiping to close apps; didn't remember how much I missed that from my Android.

by Anonymousreply 6610/06/2013

I upgraded my ipad to the newest OS, and now the keyboard doesn't work. Yes, I rebooted. Still freezes up.

by Anonymousreply 6710/06/2013

R65, those Facebook and Twitter options are indeed gone now.

by Anonymousreply 6810/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.