Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Matt Bomer IS Montgomery Clift

Matt Bomer, the star of White Collar and Magic Mike, is set to play Montgomery Clift in a biopic of the Hollywood star. The film is being shopped for financing by Pier 3 Pictures’ Michael Din, Janine Giaime and Juri Henley-Cohn. Larry Moss will direct a script by Christopher Lovick and they are shooting for a 2014 start date.

To hear about a zillion Deadline Hollywood commenters tell it, Bomer was the logical choice for Christian Grey in Fifty Shades Of Grey. But he’s sparked to play a true Hollywood icon in Clift. At his prime, Clift rivaled Marlon Brando as Hollywood’s biggest male star. A method actor who refused to put his private life on display, he graduated from stage roles to screen success in films that includes A Place In The Sun and From Here To Eternity. His matinee idol good looks were destroyed by a devastating car accident that left him with a broken nose and facial scars. Though he continued to make movies, the accident haunted him until his death, even though he received an Oscar nomination for one of his last performances in Judgment At Nuremberg.

Bomer, who most recently starred for Ryan Murphy alongside Julia Roberts and Mark Ruffalo in the screen adaptation of Larry Kramer’s The Normal Heart for HBO, has been knocking on the door for awhile. I recall him being Brett Ratner’s choice to play the Man Of Steel when Warner Bros tried to put together its Superman movie several years ago. Good to see him getting his due.

by Anonymousreply 11410/03/2013

Now that is a stretch!

by Anonymousreply 109/18/2013

Who will be playing Monty's tricks? Does Matt get to personally audition them?

by Anonymousreply 209/18/2013

Utka bara maomi zamanto tu. Aibu tamo. Otoka berobe samai jatto! Tuturi.

by Anonymousreply 309/18/2013

I am watching 'In Time' that movie with Justin Timberlake and he is in it. So handsome. Also fun seeing Pete from Mad Men in it.

by Anonymousreply 409/18/2013

Will Lindsay Lohan reprise her role as Liz Taylor? I'd love to see her fishing "Monty's" teeth out of his throat after he crashes his car.

by Anonymousreply 509/18/2013

R5, that would be hysterical!

by Anonymousreply 609/18/2013

Kerr Smith from "Dawson's Creek" is Monty's spitting image. He'd be more perfect for the role than Matt.

by Anonymousreply 709/18/2013

Kerr looks NOTHING like Monty

by Anonymousreply 809/18/2013

Why can't I direct this?

by Anonymousreply 909/18/2013

then there's this guy

by Anonymousreply 1009/18/2013

Monty was frail and birdlike, so the opposite of Bomer.

by Anonymousreply 1209/18/2013

This will be as great as Naomi Watts playing Princess Diana.

Oh, wait....

by Anonymousreply 1309/18/2013

Does that mean we'll see Matt sitting on the toilet in a few scenes since Monty had lingering effects of dysentery and chronic colitis?

by Anonymousreply 1409/18/2013

flop

by Anonymousreply 1509/18/2013

Yes, R12. MC seemed unearthly. Not sure this is a good match.

by Anonymousreply 1609/18/2013

Can Bomer act, or is he just handsome?

by Anonymousreply 1709/18/2013

I was wondering the same thing R11. It is great to see Bomer land a leading movie role no doubt but it doesn't seem to have much clout behind it.

The onus is on Bomer to give a career making performance though, and Halls could easily pull some strings to make sure it is known he did.

by Anonymousreply 1809/18/2013

[quote]Kerr looks NOTHING like Monty

You need your eyes checked, STAT!

by Anonymousreply 1909/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 2009/18/2013

Bomer CAN act. Just not sure that he has a lot of range. It's a matter of casting him in the right role. Is Montgomery Clift that role? I haven't seen anything in his past work that says so, but we could be in for a pleasant surprise.

by Anonymousreply 2109/18/2013

I actually thought James Franco would have made a good Clift. He can do the sort of cagey, mealy-mouthed, proliterean style that Clift had. Bomer really doesn't act that way.

Bomer would make a good Jeffrey Hunter, should anybody decide to make a Jeffrey Hunter biography.

by Anonymousreply 2209/18/2013

What next? Luke MacFarlane to play Rock Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 2309/18/2013

He does look a lot like Jeffrey Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 2409/18/2013

A younger Dennis Quaid would have been great!

by Anonymousreply 2509/18/2013

Wasn't Wes Bentley supposed to be playing Monty in a biopic about a decade ago? That movie was never made and I'm pretty sure this won't be either.

by Anonymousreply 2609/18/2013

This is slightly off-topic, but does anyone know if Monty's twin sister is still alive?

by Anonymousreply 2709/18/2013

Yeah, there was a Wes Bentley biopic with CZJ as Liz Taylor that fell through. I think Kerr Smith was also trying to get a Monty Clift biopic made at one point. So as far as Bomer's goes, I'll believe it when I see it.

by Anonymousreply 2809/18/2013

r17, neither.

by Anonymousreply 2909/18/2013

Did the Wes Bently thing fall through because of his heroin addiction though? That derailed his acting career for quite a while.

by Anonymousreply 3009/18/2013

I don't see how they can get a good film out of Monty's life story - Clift spent most of his adult life in a long downward spiral. Where's the fun in watching that?

Still, I'm sure it'll be a better movie than "Fifty Shades of Gray".

by Anonymousreply 3109/18/2013

Will this be filmed on an iPhone?

by Anonymousreply 3209/19/2013

R10 Other than being totally fucked up in the head, Monty with his booze, and drugs, Tom with with crazy cult beliefs, they have nothing in common.

by Anonymousreply 3309/19/2013

I cant't believe there is a lot of interest out there for a Montgomery Clift biopic. I'm not convinced that this is going to get made. And if it does, it'll most likely be as a made-for-tv movie.

by Anonymousreply 3409/19/2013

Matt Bomer is a poor man's Henry Cavill.

by Anonymousreply 3509/19/2013

[quote]mealy-mouthed, proliterean style

Oh, deer.

by Anonymousreply 3609/19/2013

I have no idea why Wes's film fell thru, but he would have been miscast IMO.

Clift was remarkable because his acting (like Brando and James Dean) was so completely different from the kind of crisp, polished studio acting that Hollywood favored. You can see it in this clip from The Search below, how raw his movements are, how inelegant his diction is. Bomer's acting falls into the "polished" category IMO so I'd have my doubts whether he'd be a very convincing facsimile, but you never know.

by Anonymousreply 3709/19/2013

This thread is hopeless without comparative photos of their princess meat.

by Anonymousreply 3909/19/2013

Clift was a strange, sad little man, and Bomer is far too white-bread to play him.

by Anonymousreply 4009/19/2013

R23 That would be great.

by Anonymousreply 4109/19/2013

[quote]Clift was a strange, sad little man, and Bomer is far too white-bread to play him.

Bomer's looks and vibe felt way too manufactured and shallow to play a soulful legend, and his face looks too modern.

I don't have anything against him being an openly gay actor, but as we fight for equality, an openly gay person too deserve to be critisized when he's not that good, just like everybody else. No special treatment.

by Anonymousreply 4209/19/2013

Danny was on one challenge and it was before trishelle and steven were part of the RW universe. This must have appened on a speaking tour .

by Anonymousreply 4309/19/2013

Who will play Libby Holman? If written correctly THAT would be a great role.

by Anonymousreply 4409/19/2013

A sad, defeated Clift does the Mystery Guest on What's "My Line?"

Appears to be hating every minute of it.

by Anonymousreply 4509/19/2013

Matt will do a good job.

by Anonymousreply 4609/19/2013

I can help out with the post-car crash "make up"!

by Anonymousreply 4709/19/2013

Oddly for someone whose life is so rich for biographic material, it says that this script will be about Clift falling in love with Elizabeth Taylor during "A Place in the Sun." Did that even happen?

Hopefully when a Monty Clift picture gets made (this one seems really, really iffy) it will deal with his decline after the accident.

by Anonymousreply 4809/19/2013

Without getting into the issue of whether or not Bomer will be a good Clift, I did want to touch on what r42 said.

I think that position is great, but it only works when we've already achieved (or are close to achieving) equality. It's crazy to harshly criticize one of the few out actors — who likely isn't getting as much work as he otherwise would because of the fact that he's out — before the environment in Hollywood changes significantly. Otherwise, you're just helping keep gay actors out of work.

Sure, Bomer may not be the best Clift, but is he really going to be any worse than the dozens of straight actors they could have cast in his place? We're still at the point where it would behoove us all to support as many out actors and artists as we can, because it's still a new thing. I can count the number of out movie actors with popular appeal on one hand, so I don't think it's right to pile on quite yet in the name of "equality."

(That's not to say that we shouldn't discuss whether or not he's a suitable candidate, especially here, but it's one thing to discuss it within the community and another to discuss it like that with straight people or on mainstream blogs.)

by Anonymousreply 4909/19/2013

Why should Bomer's sexuality influence the way we discuss whether he is cast well in a part? Especially since he would be playing a gay man, thus eliminating the whole "can a gay man play straight convincingly" argument. He is either a good choice or he isn't.

by Anonymousreply 5009/19/2013

Who's gonna play Jack Larson?

by Anonymousreply 5109/19/2013

"Who will play Libby Holman? If written correctly THAT would be a great role."

Sharon Stone? She does seem to be the go-to gal for "decayed glamour" roles.

"it says that this script will be about Clift falling in love with Elizabeth Taylor during "A Place in the Sun." Did that even happen?"

They became great friends, but "love"? Puh-lease! And I think Liz was married to someone else at the time, but when was she not.

by Anonymousreply 5209/19/2013

MC looked like he weighed approximately eighty pounds most of his adult life. How will they pull that off?

by Anonymousreply 5309/19/2013

Because, r50, we're at a moment in history when even gay roles in mainstream movies are played primarily by straight men. The "Can a gay man play straight" argument isn't at play here, but the "Will a gay man cost us viewers (money)?" argument is.

I don't believe r49 is saying we shouldn't criticize Bomer at all, but something about r42 rubbed me the wrong way as well.

by Anonymousreply 5409/19/2013

I think Ian Harding from Pretty Little Liars resembles Clift:

by Anonymousreply 5509/19/2013

"Who's gonna play Jack Larson?"

Or Roddy MacDowall?

by Anonymousreply 5609/19/2013

I like Matt Bomer, but I don't think he's right for the role.

What really bugs me is that they're making a movie about a famous gay man and, rather than seriously explore that side of his life, instead focusing on his relationship with a woman.

Seriously? They're still trying to "straighten" him out for audiences?

by Anonymousreply 5709/19/2013

R53 Maybe they'll start shooting the day Matt finishes TNH.

by Anonymousreply 5809/19/2013

The freakin "Alan Turing" biopic script includes a hetero romance for him as well.

Studios don't believe that gay is palatable.

Did you miss when Soderberg loudly complained how a movie with him, Michael Douglas and Matt Damon attached couldn't find a single distributor because it was unabashedly gay in content.

by Anonymousreply 5909/19/2013

"What really bugs me is that they're making a movie about a famous gay man and, rather than seriously explore that side of his life, instead focusing on his relationship with a woman."

They did this with the Cole Porter biopic as well.

I'm shocked that Milk didn't give Harvey Milk an imaginary gf....

by Anonymousreply 6009/19/2013

So Clift is down as a "bisexual actor" on Wikipedia. The list for that makes "interesting" reading.

by Anonymousreply 6109/19/2013

R59, the Liberace movie was mediocre. The script drifted from one narrative cul-de-sac to another. It wasn't (but should have been) a cold, critical examination of the sleaze and debauchery of show business weirdos. Instead it suggested Lee just wanted a "family" (of a druggie whore he fucked who he wanted to adopt?), then it was about Matt Damon's sort of innocent/sort of not male hooker with a heart of gold...and on and on. It was entertaining but directionless narratively. Not really worth a feature.

by Anonymousreply 6209/19/2013

R59 It couldn't even get FUNDED until HBO picked it up. Even the Weinsteins wouldn't touch it. And sadly, when you crunch the numbers it's understandable why.

by Anonymousreply 6309/19/2013

I can find no info on his twin sister being dead or alive on the internets. I did see a comment from someone who said she was still alive as of 2012 and living in Texas. If she is, she is 93 years old. Her real name is Roberta, but they always called her Ethel.

What female actress should they cast as Bomer's twin sister?

by Anonymousreply 6409/19/2013

It looks like this movie doesn't have financing yet, and they are shopping it with Bomer's name attached, so if nothing else, it will be EXTREMELY interesting to see if Bomer is now a big enough name to secure financing for a little indie movie. I'm sure Bomer will do it for scale + back end, so it should be super cheap to make. If Bomer's name attached can get them $5 million to make it, that's a good sign. If not, that will be VERY disappointing.

I do think CAA need to start pulling their fucking weight on Matt's behalf (rather than just taking their cut when he finds himself work via friends/contacts) and get meetings set up with investors.

by Anonymousreply 6509/19/2013

The director, Larry Moss, is the LA acting teacher?

by Anonymousreply 6609/19/2013

R66 yes.

R65 a period picture - especially one set in golden-age Hollywood - would be considerably more expensive than $5 million. "Behind the Candelabra" cost HBO $23 million.

by Anonymousreply 6709/19/2013

[quote]It couldn't even get FUNDED until HBO picked it up. Even the Weinsteins wouldn't touch it. And sadly, when you crunch the numbers it's understandable why.

I'm not surprised. These kind of niche biopics may mean awards recognition to the stars but are of limited appeal to the public.

The ones that do get green lit are for iconic historical figures or ones who have interesting stories that are less well known or ordinary real life people who became known from tragic news events.

Something that falls between like Liberace, Monty Clift or Jeff Buckley may have strong material but not much appeal beyond fans.

I like biopics, formulaic as they tend to be. There's usually some hook of interest there. There weren't nearly as many before the 2000s and they've become the #1 shameless passport to awards glory.

by Anonymousreply 6809/19/2013

Clift actually was bisexual - he had an ongoing thing with Holman, and he WAS in love with Taylor.

I'm sort of surprised that they're going to focus on that though, and that Bomer agreed to it. It'll probably be something like Clift could have had a wonderful life attached to Taylor, but he chose to go downhill/was helpless to prevent his fall with his disgusting gay practices.

by Anonymousreply 6909/19/2013

I always heard that it was the other way around -- Liz Taylor was in love with him but he didn't feel the same way about her.

by Anonymousreply 7009/19/2013

"Clift actually was bisexual - he had an ongoing thing with Holman, and he WAS in love with Taylor."

Holman was an old fag hag

by Anonymousreply 7109/19/2013

Just because Bomer is an Out-Gay, It doesn't mean I'm going to be kissing his ass 24/7. I've seen his acting, even though he is good, I don't think this is the right choice for him. This is [bold]my[/bold] opinion, and I'm sticking with it. You people choosing others because you share the same sexual orientation is wow.

by Anonymousreply 7209/19/2013

According to producer there is much more in the script than what that synopsis would suggest. I guess the IMDB synopsis is just a short description of the beginning of the movie, not the whole movie.

by Anonymousreply 7309/19/2013

Clift and Taylor loved each other as friends but it was never consummated.

This particular project strikes me as more of a publicity tactic than a realistic and feasible independent film. Biopics don't germinate from hole-in-the-wall producers rattling tin cans. They come from established producers, directors and stars who have the clout to raise money, or from television networks.

by Anonymousreply 7409/19/2013

Ben Whishaw would have been great. Acting wise.

by Anonymousreply 7509/19/2013

Would Ben Whishaw be playing Elizabeth Taylor?

by Anonymousreply 7609/19/2013

R65 The producer is now on Twitter working the Bomer fangurls, trying to build up online support for Bomer and the movie. If they can generate something like the 50 Shades of Grey frenzy, maybe they can use that as part of their pitch to potential investors.

But five million seems pretty low for a period piece. Costumes, props, sets, etc. That's all got to add up even if everyone is working for scale. Magic Mike cost seven million to make and that was with Soderbergh at the helm and functioning as his own cinematographer. Soderbergh is very efficient at shooting, so he often brings his films in at or under budget.

R75 Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 7709/19/2013

Can't really blame the producer, if Bomer is going to be their big selling point for funding they need help proving he does have a fanbase that wants to see him in a movie.

Promise me a great ass shot (that doesn't get cut Magic Mike), and me and other gay friends will be there opening weekend (assuming this thing gets a theater distribution outside of NYC and LA which I doubt)

by Anonymousreply 7809/19/2013

I actually think that Ryan Gosling could pull off a very effective Monty Clift. He looks nothing like him, but Cate Blanchett didn't look like Hepburn and Michelle Williams didn't look like Marilyn, and they pulled off those roles because they're brilliant actors, as is Gosling.

by Anonymousreply 7909/20/2013

R78 Wasn't suggesting disapproval of the producer's actions. Though Bomer was never a credible contender for the role of Christian Grey, I've wondered why his own people didn't at least try to leverage the publicity he got from the Fifty Shades of Grey casting frenzy.

This is an indie production with a no-name director and it's a story about an actor unfamiliar to most people in the movie-going demographic. They need all the help they can to get the movie financed. If the producer can use social media to whip up support amongst Bomer's fans I'm all for it.

by Anonymousreply 8009/20/2013

I hope Princess Tiny Meat is addressed!

by Anonymousreply 8109/20/2013

[quote]Though Bomer was never a credible contender for the role of Christian Grey, I've wondered why his own people didn't at least try to leverage the publicity he got from the Fifty Shades of Grey casting frenzy.

Because it would merely reenforce the fact that the reason he wasn't a credible contender was because he was a known homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 8209/20/2013

Mmmmm... rolls.

by Anonymousreply 8409/20/2013

Marge will be shocked by this news. Shocked!

by Anonymousreply 8509/20/2013

R83 A lot of straight girls wanted him for that role. The real problem are producers and studios that don't hire gay actors, even those who have a big fans following.

by Anonymousreply 8609/21/2013

You have no clue r83. You obviously have never been on tumblr or twitter. I assume he didn't want the role.

by Anonymousreply 8709/21/2013

$5 million does seem low.

'A Single Man, ' the Tom Ford/Colin Firth period movie was made for $7 million. And that was 5 years ago with a very small cast.

Bomer was not offered '50 Shades...' He wasn't even on the short list.

by Anonymousreply 8809/21/2013

[quote]I think Ian Harding from Pretty Little Liars resembles Clift:

Agreed. He would be a good choice, physically.

by Anonymousreply 8909/21/2013

[quote]Bomer was not offered '50 Shades...' He wasn't even on the short list.

You have no clue [R88]. You obviously have never been on tumblr or twitter. I assume he didn't want the role.

by Anonymousreply 9009/21/2013

Yes, but so was Monty.

by Anonymousreply 9209/21/2013

Wtf? Um, do you realize that you and fangurls on tumblr R90 do not actual control studio casting decisions?

Someone tweeting about it does not put Bomer on the shortlist, only real executives can decide that.

by Anonymousreply 9309/21/2013

Twitter and Tumblr are full of delusional fangirls. They think whining and petitioning about actors/actress will make them get cast in certain movies. That's not how it works.

by Anonymousreply 9409/21/2013

"Bomer is a swishy fag with gay face"

No, he isn't. The self-loathing on this thread is insane.

by Anonymousreply 9509/21/2013

Bomer wasn't offered the role. And I'm pretty sure that even if he was offered he wouldn't want it. Still it doesn't make R83 less clueless. And he is looking for enemies in all the wrong places. It's studio execs, casting directors and producers that are the problem, not straight women. Actually as far as audiences go straight men are much more homophobic than straight women.

by Anonymousreply 9609/21/2013

R96 is correct.

And R93, you are missing the fucking point. No one is saying that the fangirls control casting decisions (patently not, given how clearly they were ignored regarding 50 Shades). The point being made is that R83 is an idiot; it's not the straight chicks who are the problem. The vast majority would have no problem buying Bomer in leading roles (including romantic ones), and are, in fact, constantly campaigning for him to be given exactly those types of roles.

The problem is indeed the studio excecs etc, who either a)imagine there's a problem in the US and Europe which does not exist, or b)know that there isn't a problem in the Western democracies, but are looking beyond those markets to Asia and the rest of the world, where there is more of a problem.

Also, as R96 pointed out, straight men are more homophobic than women anyway. Of course that shouldn't be a problem with this particular project; it hardly seems likely the target audience for this movie would be homophobic straight guys.

by Anonymousreply 9709/21/2013

"straight men are more homophobic"

Straight men wanted him as Batman.

by Anonymousreply 9809/21/2013

My main memory of reading several Monty bios in my early teens was all the descriptions of how hairy he was and his self loathing over it (that and his enjoying getting gang banged at locations throughout Manhattan). I think I connect my attraction to body hair to reading those books.

by Anonymousreply 9909/21/2013

Casting aside, I wonder if this picture will ever get made. An accurate biography of Montgomery Clift would be a great story, but it would have to include a lot of gay sex. Not too many mainstream movies get made that have a lot of homosex. I get the feeling that movie executives don't think moviegoers really want to see that. Even after the success of "Brokeback Mountain", which really didn't feature any really explicit male action, you don't see too many mainstream movies where the main character is a gay main. And Hollywood is so touchy about homosexuality that it gave the Best Picture Oscar to the execrable "Crash" instead of Brokeback Mountain.

And who will play Monty's favorite faghag, Elizabeth Taylor?

by Anonymousreply 10009/21/2013

I read those books, too, R99.

I know if I had all that body hair, I would feel the same way Monty did. My father was hairy, and the one thing I wanted to be all my life was Not Like My Father.

I don't mind hair on other guys now, but I'm happy to say I'm relatively hairless.

by Anonymousreply 10109/21/2013

There's no need for a biopic of Monty Clift to feature gay sex. How many biopics of straight actors feature straight sex?

Clift will get a good biopic someday, but I think it will take a really talented, established producing team and an actor with a lot of clout to get a decent, truthful one made.

by Anonymousreply 10209/21/2013

Oh please. Nobody cares about his acting skills, everyone only cares about his looks. This movie will be butchered..Watch!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Bomer, Director, and the Producers aren't fit for the movie. This false excitement is embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 10309/21/2013

Stop pretending to be interested in it.

Girls and Gays are just lusting over his looks. His limited range acting skills won't do the movie any good. I wonder what Simon had to do to put Matt into this mess.

by Anonymousreply 10409/21/2013

Nothing....

...as they are apparently about to split up. That's at least the summary of last month's rumors !

May be he tries his may-be-ex-lover that he can do big without him ??

by Anonymousreply 10509/25/2013

R105 Well, the rumours don't exist outside DL.

by Anonymousreply 10609/25/2013

[quote]Hollywood is so touchy about homosexuality that it gave the Best Picture Oscar to the execrable "Crash" instead of Brokeback Mountain.

Gay as I am, and I am no "bro," I thought Crash was the better movie. I have nothing but utter hatred for gay movies that end the way BM did.

by Anonymousreply 10709/25/2013

If it's good enough, it'll maybe go to [bold/hbo[/bold]. If Ryan Murphy's movie couldn't get into theaters, this shit isn't either.

by Anonymousreply 10809/27/2013

**[bold]hbo

by Anonymousreply 10909/27/2013

Good he's playing Monty instead of this shit:

***LATEST NEWS - REMAKE*** Matt Bomer's management informed us that this project is not something he is going to pursue. Sorry everyone :(

by Anonymousreply 11010/03/2013

Well, duh. Why exactly should Matt play a slutbag anyway? Just because some sexually deprived women want them too? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 11110/03/2013

[bold]End bold. [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 11210/03/2013

[/bold] Bomer is better than Christian Grey. Women should just stfu. Enough is enough!!

by Anonymousreply 11310/03/2013

[quote]Gay as I am, and I am no "bro," I thought Crash was the better movie. I have nothing but utter hatred for gay movies that end the way BM did.

Plus Jack and Ennis were both bi, not gay. Well, J was leaning gay, but not E.

by Anonymousreply 11410/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.