Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'Queer Eye's' Fab Five to Reunite in Bravo Special

'Queer Eye's' Fab Five to Reunite in Bravo Special

3:55 PM PDT 9/18/2013 by Kimberly Nordyke

Andy Cohen will talk to Ted Allen, Kyan Douglas, Thom Filicia, Carson Kressley and Jai Rodriguez about the show's legacy and behind-the-scenes secrets.

The Fab Five are back.

A decade after the debut of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, the show's five stars are set to reunite in a new Bravo special airing in October.

Food and wine connoisseur Ted Allen, grooming guru Kyan Douglas, design doctor Thom Filicia, fashion savant Carson Kressley and "culture vulture" Jai Rodriguez will appear in Queer Eye Reunion: 10 Years Later.

Hosted by Andy Cohen, the special will feature the quintet reflecting on the groundbreaking series, unveiling behind-the-scenes secrets and discussing how their lives have changed.

Queer Eye featured the five gurus performing makeovers -- or, as the stars referred to them, "make-betters" -- at first on straight men and then adding women and gay men into the mix.

The Emmy-winning show became a breakout hit -- and pop culture sensation -- when it debuted in July 2003. It spawned several international adaptations and a female-oriented spinoff, Queer Eye for the Straight Eye. The show ended its run on Bravo in 2007.

by Anonymousreply 7210/21/2013

Do any of them even have careers anymore besides Ted? Jai was on a flop sitcom that got cancelled, and Thom and Kyan I haven't heard about in years.

by Anonymousreply 109/18/2013

Kyan loved being famous. He tried to become an actor and was obsessed with the idea of becoming a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 409/18/2013

Are they getting the Presidential Medal of Freedom?

by Anonymousreply 609/18/2013

This is fantastic! I've been waiting for such an event for years!

by Anonymousreply 709/18/2013

I saw Kyan this year shilling some hair product on QVC. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 809/18/2013

I always get kyan confused with the guy from Battlestar Galactica, Michael Trucco, who played Anders.

by Anonymousreply 1109/20/2013

Carson hit on me at Baracuda.

by Anonymousreply 1209/20/2013

The most interesting thing about this show is likely to be the pileup of bad cosmetic surgery/Botox abuse.

by Anonymousreply 1409/20/2013

How did Kyan ever manage to squeeze time in for this with his incredibly busy schedule?

by Anonymousreply 1509/20/2013

[quote]Using the word "straight" to describe heterosexuals is offensive.

Using the latest brand of pc groupthink to police language is much more offensive.

by Anonymousreply 1609/20/2013

With Andy Cohen as host, I'll skip this reunion.

by Anonymousreply 1709/20/2013

[quote] The team of gay men, affectionately known as "The Fab Five," ignited a huge pop culture conversation back in 2003 when they showed American men that it was acceptable

What was "it"?

by Anonymousreply 1809/20/2013

When Andy Cohen was made head of programming at Bravo, his first act was to cancel Queer Eye.

Interesting that he's bringing them all back for a reunion.

by Anonymousreply 1909/21/2013

I love Ted Allen on Chopped.

by Anonymousreply 2209/21/2013

before Jai, wasn't there someone else on the show in the first season?

by Anonymousreply 2409/21/2013

I think the host from Curb Appeal r25

by Anonymousreply 2509/21/2013

Wasn't it just the pilot that didn't have Jai?

by Anonymousreply 2609/21/2013

I'm wrong, it was Blair Boone, but John Gidding (CurbAppeal) was approached to be the culture guy but did not want to connect his career to his sexuality even though he was out. A decision he says he regrets.

by Anonymousreply 2709/21/2013

[quote]When Andy Cohen was made head of programming at Bravo, his first act was to cancel Queer Eye.

I don't know if that's true, but I do know the ratings for Queer Eye dropped by more than a half from the first to second seasons.

It was a cute idea that viewers got tired of very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 2909/22/2013

What was the 'culture vultures' job supposed to be? How was he helpful in the make-overs?

I only remember one episode, there was a black bald guy who was a singer and wanted to get married or something. The guys took him to a hair salon. A BALD GUY. The hairdresser rubbed some shit on his scalp and we were supposed to believe that was some sort of a high-end transformation.

by Anonymousreply 3109/22/2013

It made his scalp young as springtime and twice as fresh, r32.

by Anonymousreply 3209/22/2013

I wonder if they ever come here to see our multiple, lustful threads: 'Queer Ay Papi for the Straight Guy?'

by Anonymousreply 3309/22/2013

[quote] Kyan disappeared off the face of the earth. He was the crunchy yoga guy who seemed uncomfortable with the attention when the Fab5 were at their peak.

I thought it was the exact opposite - that Kyan was the one with the biggest swelled head as a result of the show's instant success. I seem to recall some gossip bit about how the Five were at some awards show and Kyan went ballistic on a reporter who managed to get access to the green room without the proper clearance.

by Anonymousreply 3409/22/2013

R31, do the two of you spy on poor "non-whites" in grocery stores together?

by Anonymousreply 3609/22/2013

Yesterday Carson tweeted a photo from the reunion that included Andy but not Kyan

WHET Kyan?

by Anonymousreply 3709/22/2013

I met all 5 at an event (I posted about this on d l years ago)

Carson and Ted were so fucking nice and sweet and awesome and wonderful and funny

by Anonymousreply 3809/22/2013

Didn't Kyan go on to date Robert Gant, who was then on QUEER AS FOLK? That was before Gant got smart and hooked up with that network head.

by Anonymousreply 3909/22/2013

Michael Musto posted this BI in his most recent column in OUT:

[quote] And finally: All genders mix and percolate in the wonderful FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology) exhibit spanning the history of queer fashion. But at the opening, a familiar face sashayed up to me and confessed, “I have no idea whatsoever what queer style is!” He was one of the style/culture gurus from Queer Eye! Irony is the new orange.

Musto later admitted on FB the Queer Eye with no idea what queer style is was..... TED ALLAN!

by Anonymousreply 4009/22/2013

BRAVO killed QEFTSG when they got greedy. They reran episodes endlessly, then spun off a truly terrible version for women (Honey Labrador!) and foreign versions (Australia, wasn't it)? And the quality of the original show declined, getting more uninspired and ridiculous just when it should have been getting better.

Years later, men (especially younger men) are very interested in style and grooming, and reality shows have become a staple. And WHAT NOT TO WEAR is celebrating its 10th (!) and final season. BRAVO really missed the opportunity to nurture this show and make it last.

If Andy Cohen didn't cancel it, he certainly helped kill it.

by Anonymousreply 4109/22/2013

Didn't one of them (jai, I think) turn out to be straight. Had a gf?

Kyan was adorable looking and had a nice easy way about him. In fact they all came across as nice people. That's why it worked. The blonde queeny one was genuinely gay-funny and that was new to a lot of people.

What transformed the straight guys, mostly, was a decent haircut. The rest was just filler.

by Anonymousreply 4209/22/2013

Oh my, Artie Lange

by Anonymousreply 4309/22/2013

Photo of reunion. That looks like Kyan to me.

by Anonymousreply 4409/22/2013

Kyan must be wearing her heels in that pic: she's actually about as short as Jai off camera. Just a little bitty thing.

by Anonymousreply 4609/22/2013

No, none of them were straight. There was a blind item that one of them was secretly straight and just faking being gay to be on TV, but it was total BS. Jai tried to claim he might be bisexual at one point (I think took it back later), but he's not straight.

Kyan must be a fantastic actor to come across so nice and unassuming because he's a complete psycho in real life.

by Anonymousreply 4709/24/2013

In that pic Thom looks completely gray.

by Anonymousreply 4809/24/2013

I cannot stand to look at Carson's retarded face.

by Anonymousreply 4909/24/2013

Esquire magazine had a column called "Ask the Esquire Guy" or Guru something like that (I don't remember the name exactly). And in one of the issues, the Esquire guy said he dislikes Carson Kressley because for a fashion expert he has no taste at all and that was published in the Queer Eyes' heyday.

by Anonymousreply 5009/24/2013

I always thought the same way R51. At least Clinton Kelly always dressed nicely on his show and in person.

by Anonymousreply 5109/24/2013

Reunion special is on tonight. Bravo at 9:00 eastern.

by Anonymousreply 5210/20/2013

I watched high-as-kite Kyan j/o in a booth at an adult store in Vegas about five years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5310/20/2013

Kyan had a serious meth problem during most of the series.

by Anonymousreply 5410/20/2013

They all look so old now.

by Anonymousreply 5510/20/2013

Didn't Kyle Richards own that show?

by Anonymousreply 5610/20/2013

[quote]Didn't one of them (jai, I think) turn out to be straight

Thank you, R43, for the best laugh I've had in a while.

by Anonymousreply 5710/20/2013

Regarding the foreign versions: When René Fris was a mentor on Shear Genius, he'd roll his eyes and make a face everytime they'd mention he was on the Danish version of Queer Eye.

I gather it must have been pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 5810/20/2013

R56. You should look as good as any one of the fab five. I thought they looked remarkably spruce, which is great for ten years of essential unemployment.

by Anonymousreply 5910/21/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 6010/21/2013

Did anyone watch this last night? Jai Rodriguez said he and Thom Felicia made out in a van during the original show?

Is there a thread?

Thank you darlings!

by Anonymousreply 6110/21/2013

There are excerpts on Bravotv.com.

I think they look fantastic! As I'm watching, I'm starting to miss the show and remember why I enjoyed it

by Anonymousreply 6210/21/2013

terrific show, they need another hour

by Anonymousreply 6310/21/2013

Kyan worked as a waiter in a pizza restaurant in the French Quarter until just a couple of years before QE. Self-absorbed and bland guy.

by Anonymousreply 6410/21/2013

Forget the makeovers, I'd be happy to watch an hour of those guys drinking and dishing every week.

by Anonymousreply 6510/21/2013

After watching the reunion clips I forgot how much the show was mostly about those queens running around camera hogging for attention with the stupid phony pranks and staged goofing off. And you can thank this show for introducing the overwhelming amount of non-stop product placement and shilling we see now see on reality shows like Project Runway.

by Anonymousreply 6610/21/2013

[quote] And you can thank this show for introducing the overwhelming amount of non-stop product placement and shilling we see now see on reality shows like Project Runway.

Like what?

by Anonymousreply 6710/21/2013

The only one I find remotely attractive is Thom. But the ones I think would be more interesting to actually know are definitely Carson and Ted.

by Anonymousreply 6810/21/2013

Loved the reunion show.They all looked great.

Watching the clips shocked me at how great some of those makeovers were.

by Anonymousreply 6910/21/2013

It was a fun reunion--lots of laughs and the guys really seem to like one another. Andy, as usual, had no chemistry with the guests.

by Anonymousreply 7010/21/2013

[quote]And you can thank this show for introducing the overwhelming amount of non-stop product placement and shilling we see now see on reality shows like Project Runway.

Yes, "Queer Eye" INVENTED product placement.

(rolls eyes right out of my head)

by Anonymousreply 7110/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.