Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

PDAs Between Same-Sex Couples

I don't want to make this a poll, since there are too many options. So I'll just throw the topic out for discussion and comments.

Even in the most liberal enclaves, are PDAs between same-sex partners as accepted as those with opposite-sex partners? Maybe in well-known gay areas, but elsewhere? And I don't mean in gay clubs, but in places like public transportation, on the street, etc.

I wonder if there's a parallel to PDAs between interracial partners and how reaction to that has evolved. Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 4009/25/2013

Neither I nor my partner use Personal Digital Assistants anymore.

by Anonymousreply 109/18/2013

My partner has Patent ductus arteriosus - I don't. Only the most conservative straight communities refuse to acknowledge it.

by Anonymousreply 209/18/2013

hand-holding or light kissing is generally ok. but i think people get uncomfortable with extended french kissing or the like from any couple, gay staright or otherwise. i live in hells kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 309/18/2013

I wouldn't dare where I live in the UK- and I am out to everyone I know.

by Anonymousreply 409/18/2013

I live in Connecticut and travel the Northeast a great deal due to family. I have seen female couples holding for several years. It is only during the past year that I have seen males holding hands. Ironically, the last male couple I saw holding hands was at the very family orientated amusement park at Old Orchard Beach. Interestingly, I think I only heard one negative comment from a passing couple.

by Anonymousreply 509/18/2013

I don't care for PDAs period (outside of hand-holding).

by Anonymousreply 609/18/2013

I've seen guys holding hands while walking all over Austin.

But kissing in public seems more limited to known gay friendly areas (downtown, South Congress, a very few other areas).

by Anonymousreply 709/18/2013

It irks me that on HGTV the gays are always kept at arms length, and straight couples are always kissing and hugging.

by Anonymousreply 809/18/2013

I'm at a university in the south. Conservative state obviously, but a relatively liberal area of the state, and a generally liberal campus.

I see guys walking around holding hands occasionally. No one seems to mind, but I'm guessing they might experience some issues once the drunks and townies come out after dark.

I'm always alone so I don't have to worry. Blurg.

by Anonymousreply 909/18/2013

I kissed my cute date goodnight on a saturday night in "Passyunk square" part ot philly, right on the street, it's a new gay area, but without any real gay bar or place. I never would have thought of NOT kissing him goodnight.

by Anonymousreply 1009/18/2013

I ride public transportation in the SF Bay Area every day. I have no problems seeing couples (gay or straight) holding hands, putting their arms around each other or pecking each other on the cheeks. I do not particularly want to see the exchange of saliva, the groping of body parts, or full-on body rubs by ANY couple (or threesome or whatever), gay straight or otherwise. But I prefer any of the foregoing PDAs to hearing another passenger clip his or her nails. It's bile-inducing.

by Anonymousreply 1109/18/2013

Personally I hate PDA between any couple-gay or straight, hot or not. I don't mind holding of hands or a quick smooch but I hate when couples have long sloppy makeout sessions. The ones who look back at you, wanting you to watch them are even more disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1209/18/2013

PDA's - NO

discreet dildo usage - YES

by Anonymousreply 1309/18/2013

R12 is an asshole with issues who really should see a shrink.

by Anonymousreply 1409/18/2013

The more the better.

by Anonymousreply 1509/24/2013

That may be, r14, but kissing in public is tacky and juvenile, no matter who's doing it. And the ones who are obviously doing it to attract attention ought to be slapped stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1609/25/2013

R14= tired out you-know-what who still says things like "has issues".

by Anonymousreply 1709/25/2013

A couple kissing in public is neither tacky nor juvenile. It's sweet.

Now, if they're groping and playing massive tonsil hockey, that's a different story. But kissing? Why would ANYONE be against that?

by Anonymousreply 1809/25/2013

I'll be honest. Any couple hand-holding is fine, but I have never liked PDAs between straight couples, and I don't recall seeing gay couples in PDAs. I always wonder what they're trying to prove.

by Anonymousreply 1909/25/2013

I don't want to see a couple, young or old, gay or straight, kissing or caressing in public. Hold hands, sure. Hug, fine. Peck a kiss goodbye, okay, But, spare me the rest! Save it for home. I once saw a straight couple, young college-aged college kids, at SFO, daytime, girl sitting on guy's lap, in a busy airport lobby making out a long farewell. Gross. A little kid sitting next to them was entranced and kid's mom kept trying to distract the kid from watching. That was the funny part to see.

by Anonymousreply 2009/25/2013

I recently saw two guys holding hands walking through a busy shopping center in East Lansing, MI. Even though I'm gay it still caught me totally off guard because in the nearly 30 years I've lived in this area, that was the first time I've ever seen two guys holding hands in a "straight" public place--and they were completely unapologetic about it, as if they didn't have a worry in the world. I actually wanted to say something to them because I was so impressed by their ballsiness, but they were walking in a different direction so I didn't get a chance to. No one bothered them or even did a double-take from what I could tell. Anyway, it made me really happy to see.

by Anonymousreply 2109/25/2013

Who should give a flying fuck? Mind your own business, people. You are grown up enough to avert your eyes.

Some people express their love (and lust) in "public" because they have no where else to go. I'm one of them. Am dating a guy in the 'burbs.

We don't get to meet often and we don't express any more affection with each other than what straight people do.

But we clearly gather more attention, which is not what we are seeking. I pay taxes and only get to see my date once a week. Our goodbye kisses after lunch are probably too long. I wish he'd move in with me, but that's not reality yet.

I think it's nice when two people are not stabbing or shooting each other. That's so rare.

This thread reminds me to do extra tongue and slurping -- especially when young teen boys are staring at us. In this part of the country, no one really cares, but if they do, I try to make them feel extra uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 2209/25/2013

R22, we'll be reading about you in the papers soon, no doubt: Disfigured body washes up on beach.

by Anonymousreply 2309/25/2013

OP, here is a perfect example for you to read

Gay Couple Asked To Sit In Back Of Bus Gets An Apology

by Anonymousreply 2409/25/2013

[quote]I always wonder what they're trying to prove.

That is such a [italic]bizarre[/italic] thing to think. What the fuck is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 2509/25/2013

R24 = link-posting FAIL.

by Anonymousreply 2609/25/2013

I'm gay and in NYC, but it's still sometimes startling.

On 8th Avenue in Chelsea, kind of expected.

On 32nd Street in Koreatown, kind of surprising.

On the LIRR Penn Station concourse, kind of!

by Anonymousreply 2709/25/2013

I hold hands and kiss my gf (not french, that's tacky) all the time. We live in Zurich and people stare but we don't care.

by Anonymousreply 2809/25/2013

We live in Chelsea, NYC. We hold hands and do peck on the cheek kisses hello and goodbye. The only reaction we get are smiles.

by Anonymousreply 2909/25/2013

Sexual intimacy, no matter at what degree, is an act, an expression, a feeling that should belong to just those two engaging in it.

The last thing a couple that places true value on their sexual intimacy would want is to devalue it by allowing a third party to see it.

I hate this culture where nothing, even sexual intimacy, has value unless a third party, by eyes, or cell phone camera or instagram,is recording it.

That's why I dislike PDAs- because they aren't affection. They're the opposite- you're just a pitiful spectacle that, like any other, makes an audience uncomfortable.

And spare me the "avert your eyes" bullshit.

This society is fucked up and getting worse.

by Anonymousreply 3009/25/2013

Only the most pedestrian of individuals, gay or straight, engage in PDA. Completely tacky.

by Anonymousreply 3109/25/2013

Della, I always enjoy your posts, but I have to disagree with you. Hand holding and a peck on the cheek are indeed affection.

People kiss each other hello and goodbye all the time, and most are not in any way lovers.

Cultures other than ours here in America have far more hand holding and kissing among friends and siblings as well as lovers.

Surely that's not sexual - or are you saying that these simple expressions are somehow different when the parties engaging in them are sexually intimate at other times?

by Anonymousreply 3209/25/2013

Thank you, r32. I should have not included "to any degree" in my post because displays that you describe in your post don't ellicit an uncomfortable feeling in me, including whether or not by parties who are sexually intimate at other times.

My post at r30 is in the event when it's taken further.

by Anonymousreply 3309/25/2013

Where in the UK are you, r4? I'm in Staffordshire and wouldn't hesitate to kiss my partner in public.

by Anonymousreply 3409/25/2013

Someone I know caught two guys engaged in a blow job in the NYC subway. Talk about the ultimate PDA if there ever was one.....

by Anonymousreply 3509/25/2013

I once saw 2 14 yeaR olds holding hands at the mall. Awwwwww

by Anonymousreply 3609/25/2013

Isn't it PDAs "among" same-sex couples...?

by Anonymousreply 3709/25/2013

Other than degree, what's the difference between "I don't approve of PDAs" and "I don't approve of abortion"? Or gay marriage? Or mimes? These complaints all come from the same mindset.

The less time you spend fretting about other people's lives, the happier you will be.

by Anonymousreply 3809/25/2013

It was reported that the guys attacked at Ninth Avenue and 24th Street were holding hands, a perfect way to alert gay bashers.

by Anonymousreply 3909/25/2013

We're talking about Public Displays of *affection* here... not Public Displays of gross sexual imposition, groping, and dry-humping.

Some of you guys are kind of warped.

I concur with R38.

by Anonymousreply 4009/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!