Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Everybody loves Raymond

I watched the complete first season on DVD a couple of days ago and I think it was one of the best sitcom we ever had. Great actors, great chemistry, funny storylines and Ray Romano, for an untrained actor, had great timing.

by Anonymousreply 6609/21/2013

Yes, it was a pretty good series. They still had strong episodes during their last season, and it could've easily gone on longer if Ray Romano had wanted it to continue.

by Anonymousreply 109/18/2013

Patricia Heaton.

by Anonymousreply 209/18/2013

Ray is your cousin or your ex-boyfriend or both?

by Anonymousreply 309/18/2013

Goes crazy,that is.

by Anonymousreply 409/18/2013

OP did this so he'd have something to share in "Threads You Regret Posting"

by Anonymousreply 509/18/2013

I could never watch it. There was too much yelling. It made me anxious.

by Anonymousreply 609/18/2013

You should watch the documentary Exporting Raymond

by Anonymousreply 709/18/2013

Some of you have such awful taste.

by Anonymousreply 809/18/2013

And 'good taste' would be what ? Friends or The Golden Girls ?

by Anonymousreply 909/18/2013

Patricia and Doris being bitches to each other behind the scenes was much funnier than anything in the script.

by Anonymousreply 1009/18/2013

OP, please post a reply so I can permanently trolldar you and know that ANYTHING else you think is good is utter crap.

That shitfest of a no-talent show is one of thee most annoying twat-filled examples of the decline of Western Civilization, ever.

Hateful nasty people screaming at each other is not comedy.

And don't bait us with "but it's so POPular!"

So are Cheetos. That doesn't make them food.

by Anonymousreply 1109/18/2013

I hate Patricia Heaton as a person but often like her projects.

The scene where Deborah is holding the turkey with her bare hands and trying to get it into the oven is classic.

As is the psidoe where Ray decides to do the shopping and every little thing he and Deborah ahev argued about in the episode comes together when the kitchen catches on fire.

by Anonymousreply 1209/18/2013

How about when Ray offers a subscription to the Fruit of the Month Club to his parents ? They think they've joined a cult not a club. Funny.

by Anonymousreply 1309/18/2013

Plus #1: In the opening season credits, Ray tells us, "It's not about the kids" and he held to his word.

Plus #2: No B and C plots. With TV shows clocking in at less than 20 minuites today (which is ridiculous), stupid plots about babysitting dogs (Big Bang Theory) waste time.

by Anonymousreply 1409/18/2013

I found the show much more funny and believable than The Golden Girls where the show was more plot driven than character driven.

by Anonymousreply 1509/18/2013

I thought it was hilarious and a brilliantly written and acted view of the sort of quotidian matters that cause such drama (and comedy) in every family. I would rank it amongst shows like "Roseanne" and "Grace Under Fire," as one of the greatest comedies ever!

by Anonymousreply 1609/18/2013

Yada yada yada,blah blah blah ,the thing the thing the thing.

by Anonymousreply 1709/18/2013

I think it is a brilliant and still under-appreciated show. Patricia Heaton, who seems like an awful woman, is excellent in every episode. The premise, the characters, the writing, it all works to make a really good sitcom.

The characters of Ray's parents are remarkably real and funny.

The episode where Marie teaches Debra how to make "her meatballs", but can't resist sabotage, is brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 1809/18/2013

I love the episode when Deborah swears she does not have Marie's yellow tin canister to the point that Marie apologizes - only to have it turn up in the home and Deborah and Ray try everything they can to get rid of it and it keeps coming back.

by Anonymousreply 1909/18/2013

Marie's vagina sculpture.

by Anonymousreply 2009/18/2013

Very funny show, excellent cast and scripts.

by Anonymousreply 2109/18/2013

Love it. And I don't like many sitcoms. The suitcase episode was brilliant. The vagina sculpture was hilarious too, and when Marie drove the car through the front of the house.

by Anonymousreply 2209/18/2013

I'm retired now, but when I worked as a nurse in a long term health care facility, Raymond was one of my patient's favorite shows. It was unusual because most of them didn't really care about watching television unless it was something like ice skating or a movie with a lot of noise and action. They also liked The Family Guy. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 2309/18/2013

The show is good, and the cast is perfect, but sometimes I wanted to shout at the TV, "Just stop fighting and get a divorce already!"

by Anonymousreply 2409/18/2013

Beyond a certain point, I'm not sure you can learning timing in classes.

by Anonymousreply 2509/18/2013

I liked Patricia Heaton's character early on, but as the show went on she was written as always bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 2609/18/2013

It was probably the last sit com series that I watched the entire time it was on.

I loved to hate Patricia Heaton.

by Anonymousreply 2709/18/2013

I'm sorry but I hate this show. I hate big time Raymond who is a complete asshole to his wife to the point I don't think it's funny. Raymond's father is a major jackass! I love Patricia Heaton in general,Doris Roberts as well. But I'm sorry, I think this whole show is too depressing to watch because it's a depressing show,which mainly Frau Oprah worshipers ,and their lazy boy sitting, beer drinking, husbands who don't care about current affairs ,but just sports love a lot.

BTW, is it true Brad Garrett is gay in real life?

by Anonymousreply 2809/18/2013

Yes,he is.

by Anonymousreply 2909/18/2013

I thought Brad was married with kids and the whole bit?

by Anonymousreply 3009/18/2013

Stop sniffing glue r16, it kills!

by Anonymousreply 3109/18/2013

As much as I hate Patricia Heaton, I loved this show. Ray had everyday life down pat and it was well written. His portrayal of his parents were brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 3209/18/2013

It's up there with Home Improvement, Full House and Mad About You as one of the greats.

by Anonymousreply 3309/18/2013

Yeah Marie's vagina sculpture was the funniest. "Oh my God I'm a lesbian!"

I also liked the one where Robert's date was into frogs and ate flies.

I also like Marie's touching moments when it related to Robert be a cop. "Don't you think I know what he does?" and when he was retiring and decided to try for the FBI. Marie kept sabotaging him, then finally went to the director to plead for a job for him with her cookies.

I also loved Amy and her crazy family. Especially when her mother had the smoking habit and got found out.

Other favorite moments: Frank handing out the condoms for Halloween. Tofu turkey was right up Datalounge's alley. The parents getting kicked out of the retirement home and having to move back in with Robert and Amy. "I know what it is it's a sex machine." Debra pretends she doesn't know it's a surprise party when everyone knows she knows. Ray convinces Debra her friends are talking about her behind her back that she dresses slutty. So she starts dressing slutty. And when Robert proposes to Amy and Marie jumps out of the police car to celebrate after she says yes.

by Anonymousreply 3409/18/2013

It was a funny show. But I couldn't watch it after the first season because of patricia heaton. I can't watch anything with her in it

by Anonymousreply 3509/18/2013

R35 Too bad, because "The Middle" is pretty good. Especially the daughter.

by Anonymousreply 3609/18/2013

this is my "nothing else on" show to watch. its very funny, well written, and unfortunately true to life in many families. ps Brad is not gay. but he played gay once on a tv series.

by Anonymousreply 3709/18/2013

I love The Middle. I can't believe that Eden Sher(Sue Heck) and yes Atticus Shaffer(Brick Heck) haven't won Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 3809/18/2013

I fucking hated it. Ugh. It destroyed my faith in humanity that this shrill, horrible show was so popular.

by Anonymousreply 3909/18/2013

"The Angry Family" is one of the best written shows of the series... and though I hate to admit it.. Patricia Heaton steals that one

by Anonymousreply 4009/18/2013

The show needed more anal

by Anonymousreply 4109/18/2013

I'm laughing more at this thread than I ever did at the show.

by Anonymousreply 4209/18/2013

5 minutes in.. Deborah and the teacher

by Anonymousreply 4309/18/2013

classic comedy show that I learned to like from my Mom and Dad.... it was a show that is better each time you see a repeat of an episode. Got the biggest laughs from Frank

by Anonymousreply 4409/18/2013

My father passed away recently and my mother says that Deborah trying to get the Thanksgiving turkey in the oven made him laugh every time.

by Anonymousreply 4509/19/2013

Robert hoisting Amy onto the fridge in celebration when they find out Frank and Marie are moving and Ray trying to do the same with Deborah and just flattening her against the door.

by Anonymousreply 4609/19/2013

When one of the sons refused to go to school, and they couldn't figure out why. Finally they found out it was because he was embarrassed because he had accidentally called the teacher 'Mommy' and all the kids laughed at him.

Deborah mentions this in front of Allie "He accidentally called the teacher 'Mommy', and Allie responds 'Why? Was she yelling?'

by Anonymousreply 4709/19/2013

Certainly proof of the show's "brilliance" r47..

by Anonymousreply 4809/19/2013

Why do people who don't like the show waste time adding to the thread? Do you think comments like "The show sucks" and "It isn't funny" are going to make those of us who like it change our minds?

by Anonymousreply 4909/19/2013

The episode with the cookie lady was pretty funny: Deborah to Peggy the cookie lady as Ray is laying on the floor - "Nobody beats up my husband!"

A frustrated Marie to Robert after he broke up with yet another woman (the fly eating/frog woman): Just say it, Robbie, "I'm a gay. You're here, you're queer, get used to it."

by Anonymousreply 5009/19/2013

Patricia Heaton is excellent. Ray whining got on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 5109/19/2013

Patricia Heaton BEAT Jane Kaczmarek not once, but twice for the Emmy!

by Anonymousreply 5209/19/2013

Heaton needed to be held down by Doris Roberts while Raymond, Brad Garrett, and the old father jerked off onto her face.

Maybe piss and shit on her too. Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5309/19/2013

R53 Patricia Heaton BEAT Jane Kaczmarek not once, but twice for the Emmy!

by Anonymousreply 5409/19/2013

The whole cast of Malcolm in the Middle should bukakke that whore Heaton too!

Heaton should have to eat out Kaczmarek's hot cunt until she squirts down her throat!

Heaton was a bitch on set and is an even bigger bitch in her personal life. We all secretly loath you Patricia!!

by Anonymousreply 5509/19/2013

NO matter R55 Heaton has two Emmys on her shelf BEATING Kaczmarek not once, but twice!

Meanwhile Kaczmarek has an empty shelf with no Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 5609/19/2013

She better enjoy those Emmys because the industry is sick of her shit and isn't going to give her the chance to get anymore of them.

by Anonymousreply 5709/19/2013

R57 She is starring in her second successful series The Middle.

What has Kaczmarek followed Malcom up with?

by Anonymousreply 5809/19/2013

Ironically, the posts of the troll at R53, R55, R57 appears to be kind of a vile human herself.

by Anonymousreply 5909/19/2013

[quote] I'm retired now, but when I worked as a nurse in a long term health care facility, Raymond was one of my patient's favorite shows

Years ago my Grandmother was in the hospital for two weeks. I would go visit her after work almost every day. I would go about 7 PM. The local tv channel aired two episodes of ELR from 7 - 8 PM. Every time I went down the long hallway all I heard was loud laughing from almost every room. They were all watching ELR

by Anonymousreply 6009/20/2013

Such a response proves yours r48.

by Anonymousreply 6109/21/2013

I like that, for the most part, it wasn't kid centric. Hell for like the last two seasons they didn't even hire the twins back. They showed Allie maybe three times.

I did however like Frank's running gag that one of the twins was gay. That he could already tell he was a "little light in the loafers so to speak". Then everyone would get mad at him and he'd take their anger as being homophobic and get upset. It was pretty funny.

The one I just watched was also one of the best. When Debra works at the lodge for a little while and she finds out they only hired her to oggle her. I loved when Marie confronts Ray about it with her friends. "I'll handle this Harriet", "perhaps, Harriet, you'd be better off waiting in the car".

by Anonymousreply 6209/21/2013

One of the sweetest, funniest sit com episodes ever in my opinion, is the ELR where they invite Frank's Aunt Zorina from Italy to visit. Although she speaks not a word of English, they are utterly charmed by her, and she transforms them into a grateful loving family with her warmth and humor.

Of course, it is revealed they have the wrong person, who isn't related to them at all, and is actually related to another clan of Barones, who inform them that all other Barones are actually just name-changers from Ellis Island officials, and are completelyinauthentic!

Robert ends the episode by frantically screaming, "Then WHO THE HELL ARE WE??"

Gets me every time.

by Anonymousreply 6309/21/2013

The "Fruit of the Month" episode is the pilot. Note the twins have different names, and Marie's kitchen is totally different, but already the cast is seamless with fully-developed characters.

by Anonymousreply 6409/21/2013

I watched a few episodes, based on this thread. I didn't see the show while it ran. It's actually pretty funny. There are many throw-away lines that made me laugh out loud.

Thanks for the recommendation, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6509/21/2013

Frank to Marie`Hey,good lookin`!` ROFL.

by Anonymousreply 6609/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!