Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Elton John Vows Russia Performance Will Go On Despite Anti-Gay Law

I’ve got to go. And I’ve got to think about what I’m going to say very carefully. There’s two avenues of thought: do you stop everyone going, ban all the artists coming in from Russia? But then you’re really leaving the men and women who are gay and suffering under the anti-gay laws in an isolated situation.

As a gay man, I can’t leave those people on their own without going over there and supporting them. I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I’ve got to go.

by Anonymousreply 3409/24/2013

Are you in Russia?

I haven't been to an Elton John concert since the MADMAN tour, when I came out to my girlfriend. Had no idea Elton was gay, of course. I haven't been able to understand a word out of his mouth since his 1970 s/t album.

by Anonymousreply 109/17/2013

Elton John is an idiot. He really doesn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 209/17/2013

Dollars rule?

by Anonymousreply 309/17/2013

He's such a money grubbing asshole, he stands for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 409/17/2013

It's not like it's the first time this 'elder john' has been inside the eastern bloc.

by Anonymousreply 509/17/2013

Elton will find a way to speak out. The best thing that could happen is for someone like him to do something provocative. A high profile arrest would be opportune.

by Anonymousreply 609/17/2013

Good for him to take an initiative. I can't stand him, but that's my problem.

by Anonymousreply 709/17/2013

he sucks.

he performed at rush limbaugh's most recent wedding.

how many more millions does he NEED?!

by Anonymousreply 809/17/2013

[quote]he performed at rush limbaugh's most recent wedding.

No other reason needed to boycott the jerk.

by Anonymousreply 909/17/2013

Not to mention his duet with Eminem a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 1009/17/2013

[quote]As a gay man, I can’t leave those people on their own without going over there and supporting them. I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I’ve got to go.

And of course you're going to donate all compensation to fight for them, right? Right?

by Anonymousreply 1109/17/2013

I can't boycott EJ any harder than I already do. Maybe I'll sell my SACDs.

by Anonymousreply 1209/17/2013

On the thread about Cher turning down an invitation to be some kind of ambassador/performer, I half-joked "I hear Elton's available." Well, here you go.

by Anonymousreply 1309/17/2013

Wow, this is the biggest piece of bullshit from his mouth since his nonsense about performing at Limbaugh's wedding to "start a dialogue" with Rush. I'm sure they haven't communicated since.

As if a fucking concert is going to help the Russian gay community. John is twisting himself into a pretzel to make excuses for his blatant greed.

by Anonymousreply 1409/17/2013

He spends more than he makes. Always has. For many years. He'd sing for Hitler if it paid enough.

by Anonymousreply 1509/17/2013

I guess he would not have boycotted South Africa's apartheid system either.

by Anonymousreply 1609/17/2013

I hope they arrest him for being too gay and send him to Siberia.

by Anonymousreply 1709/17/2013

Dreadful man. Who is his audience anyway? Flyovers?

by Anonymousreply 1809/17/2013

This is hardly news.

While many performers were boycotting South Africa in the early 1980s Elton JOhn was playing Sun City South Africa, he was happy to perform there and pick up his check.

R18 - how uninformed do you have to be tho think Elton John's audience has been or is primarily flyovers. Take your head out of your ass, he has been worshiped on both coasts.

by Anonymousreply 1909/17/2013

[quote]he has been worshiped on both coasts.

Who worships him? I don't know anyone who likes him or his music.

by Anonymousreply 2009/17/2013

Really? I do 't know anyone who listens to him. Any other NYers care to comment.

by Anonymousreply 2109/17/2013

maybe he is planning to do something. it could be very powerful if he speaks out or does something to protest within the country.

by Anonymousreply 2209/17/2013

The nypd covered up a gay hate murder this week fyi

by Anonymousreply 2309/17/2013

Oh he's planning to do something alright, take the money and run.

by Anonymousreply 2409/17/2013

maybe you're right, r24.

by Anonymousreply 2509/17/2013

he would perform for Pat Robertson if the price was right-what a ho !!!!

by Anonymousreply 2609/17/2013

He worked for Rush Limbaugh. What do you expect? He also trashed Americans who weren't against illegal immigrants.

Elton is a rancid piece of shit!

by Anonymousreply 2709/17/2013

Remember his love affair with homophobe, Eminem?

by Anonymousreply 2809/17/2013

[quote}Really? I don't know anyone who listens to him. Any other NYers care to comment.

I have no idea when you were born or who you know in New York.

But if you think the music of Elton John and Bernie Taupin is unknown and not well respected among "NYers" you need to get out more.

by Anonymousreply 2909/17/2013

[quote]it could be very powerful if he speaks out or does something to protest within the country.

Yes, it could but it won't happen. Have you not looked at his past? Do you really think he'll speak out when he's spent so many years kicking sand in the face of others just so he can make money -- South Africa, Eminem, Rush Limbaugh, etc. He's a maggot who should be shunned.

by Anonymousreply 3009/17/2013

Elton spoke out in Ukraine last year. And they're probably more savage then russians. He had like 10s and 10s of thousands of people there too.

by Anonymousreply 3109/17/2013

I'm a New Yorker and can't stand the ho! Need I write more?

by Anonymousreply 3209/17/2013

I'm hoping he does a medley called "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road; Hello Dorothy"

by Anonymousreply 3309/17/2013

Elton explains:

"On one hand, I want to say, 'I'm not going and you can go to hell, you guys.' But that's not helping anyone who's gay or transgendered over there. I've been going to Russia since 1979. I've been going quite frequently, and I've always had a wonderful rapport with the Russian audiences and with the Russian people. And you know there are a lot of great Russian people out there who are outraged by what's going on, but they don't have — I don't want to abandon them.

Now, I'll probably get criticized for going, and I can understand that. It's just that I, as a gay man and a gay musician, cannot stay at home and not support these people who have been to lots of my concerts in the past. I'm aware of the situation and I will be diplomatic. I'm not going to go into Russia and tell [Vladimir Putin] to go to hell and things like that. That's not the way things are done. You chip away at something, and you hope there will be dialogue and that the situation can get better. You don't just go in there with guns blazing and say, 'Well, to hell with you.' Because they're going to say, 'To hell with you, and get out of the country.' That's not going to solve anything. But if I can go there, maybe I can talk to some people in the administration.

"You can make a statement and you can read it from the stage, but it would be nice, and it would be much more fulfilling to try and meet with people in Moscow and say, 'Listen, this is just, you know, this is silly. It's a reactionary knee-jerk thing. It's harming your reputation in the rest of the world. It's not doing you any good. There has to be some discussion here. What you're doing is outrageous.' [Pauses.] They can tell me to go to hell. I've gotta do it diplomatically, but I'm going to say what I think and what I feel."

by Anonymousreply 3409/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!