Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lizabeth Scott

I just watched [italic]Desert Fury[/italic] (1947) and was amazed by how modern this film appears. Besides the fantastic Technicolor, the acting by Lizabeth Scott, John Hodiak, Wendell Corey and Burt Lancaster feels so contemporary. Only Mary Astor and some of the other actors seem a bit stagey. And all the outfits that Scott and Astor wear are amazing. Edith Head makes our current evening wear look pretty shabby by comparison.

Lizabeth Scott is an amazing actress and I can't believe so little has been written about her. There's the book [italic]Hal Wallis: Producer to the Stars[/italic] that has a chapter on Scott, but it doesn't reveal much about her.

I did find an old 1940s newspaper interview that implies that her style of acting comes from Tallulah Bankhead! Personally, I can't imagine two actresses more unlike each other. While both present a formidable front, Scott lacks the histrionics of Bankhead. Another poster described how actors born before the 1920s used exaggerated expressions to enable the audience to see what is happening on stage. Speaking of formidable fronts, I came across another actress who looks like Scott's twin sister, Rosemarie Bowe. There was the son of the woman who published the “New York Post,” Mortimer Hall, who dated Scott in the 1950s. He ended up marrying Ruth Roman and after divorcing Roman years later, he supposedly dated Bowe! Is this true?

I see that Scott is often compared to Lauren Bacall, but Bacall has a different acting style and voice. Bacall and Scott don't even look the same. Other than Bowe (who eventually married Robert Stack), Scott vaguely resembles Barbara Bain and Janet Leigh.

Despite a “New York Times” film critic named Bosely Crowther, who apparently hated Scott, I look forward to find more Scott movies.

by Anonymousreply 36607/20/2015

She'll be 90 years old later this month and was making appearances as recently as 2010.

Here's the first part of an interview she did in 1996.

by Anonymousreply 109/17/2013

Thanks [r1]. I'll check out the interview. The link to some images of Rosemarie Bowe is below. Interestingly enough, both Scott and Bowe appeared on different episodes of the old [italic]Burke's Law[/italic] television show during the early 1960s. According to the IMDb, Scott appeared with her old co-star Mary Astor.

by Anonymousreply 209/17/2013

Odd none of the posts have yet mentioned that Ms. Scott's career was ruined by gay rumors, that were true.

by Anonymousreply 309/17/2013

Lizabeth Scott may have been rumored to have had lesbian affairs by a scandal magazine in the 50s, but she is also rumored to have been the mistress of Hollywood producer Hal Wallis.

Scott made her last starring film in 1957, with only an occasional supporting role after that. So how has she managed to support herself since? That makes me believe there may have been some truth to the mistress rumors.

by Anonymousreply 409/17/2013

I did read that [r3] and even found the original [italic]Confidential[/italic] magazine article posted on another forum. The problem with the article was that the publishers never bothered to confirm the lesbian allegations according to a history book on [italic]Confidential[/italic].

According the gossip of the time, some thought that Scott would marry Hal Wallis after his first wife died, but he married Martha Hyer instead. Scott was thought to be married to Mortimer Hall, but he married Ruth Roman.

Scott was later engaged to a Texas oilman named Bill Dugger (see link below), but he died before they could be married.

According to an interview with Kristine Miller, who co-starred with Scott in several films, Scott is very competitive with other females. Take that for what it's worth.

by Anonymousreply 509/17/2013

Some further thoughts on Scott:

I've actually seen some of her later films after [italic]Desert Fury[/italic]. In [italic]Bad for Each Other[/italic] (1953) Scott plays a Main Line, Pennsylvania divorcee. While not her best film, she does not affect the usual Mid-Atlantic accent like another famous actress that actually hailed from Philadelphia. But Scott avoids the infamous “Main Line lockjaw” as well. Is her voice Midland? General American?

In the UK [italic]Stolen Face[/italic] (1952), Paul Henreid, blacklisted in America, plays the part of a plastic surgeon who is rejected by a concert pianist, played by Scott. The surgeon then duplicates Scott's face on another woman and marries her. This scenario resembles the real life Mortimer Hall breaking up with Lizabeth Scott and later dating the lookalike Rosemarie Bowe!

by Anonymousreply 609/17/2013

Scott has quite a following among film noir fans as she made so many of them. Looks wise, when starting out, she was a Veronica Lake/Lauren Bacall type. But she didn't have their star power or presence (though she was easier to work with than the troubled Lake). She did work opposite Bogart once in 1947's Dead Reckoning, but she got that part because Rita Hayworth passed on it to do Lady from Shanghai, so Columbia borrowed Scott from Hal Wallis.

My fave Scott noir is Too Late for Tears, where she plays an LA housewife ashamed of her middle class life. Then one night while on their way to a dinner party, Scott and her husband, who pulled off the road to have an argument, a car drives by and a package of money lands in Scott's car and drives off. Scott and her husband hightail back to their apartment. The husband wants to hand the money over to the police. Scott wants to keep it. The husband says let's think about it. Next day Scott goes on a shopping spree, then gets home and slimy Dan Duryea comes to her door, slaps her around and demands to know where the money is. Scott now must find a way to keep the money and get rid of anyone who gets in her way. Fun stuff.

by Anonymousreply 809/17/2013

Scott and Tallulah had a LOT in common.

by Anonymousreply 909/17/2013

R8 That sounds great - I'm gonna look for it on TCM, or find it somewhere. I'm a big Liz Scott fan. Saw her a few years ago, at Erewhon, a health food store on Beverly, in LA. At the time, I vaguely knew who she was, when someone mentioned her name. If it happened now, I'd tell her how much I love her films.

by Anonymousreply 1009/17/2013

At least post a pic of her prime!

by Anonymousreply 1109/17/2013

She's a big dyke, y'know...

by Anonymousreply 1209/18/2013

I love that she still works the glam at her advanced age.

by Anonymousreply 1309/18/2013

Scottie and Bogart

by Anonymousreply 1409/18/2013

She has also played alongside Elvis in 'Loving You'

by Anonymousreply 1509/18/2013

I beg to differ on her not having the presence of Bacall or Lake. She was the one you watched in THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS, even in her scene with Stanwyck. Plus she can act rings around those two, enjoyable as they may be. She was a very unconventional looking woman, which kept her from really breaking out. Criminally underrated.

by Anonymousreply 1609/18/2013

"Scott was later engaged to a Texas oilman named Bill Dugger"

It was Bull Dagger as I recall

by Anonymousreply 1709/18/2013

R12 You should know Lauren - you played a big dyke in "Young Man With A Horn ". Don't you remember when Kirk Douglas, your beard, said to you 'Your sick girl Amy !' . I do.

by Anonymousreply 1809/18/2013

I wonder if Bogart hit on her back then. Judging by his taste(he married Bacall and Lauren's style resembles Scott's)he maybe had the hots for her.

by Anonymousreply 1909/18/2013

I had'er

by Anonymousreply 2009/18/2013

Me too

by Anonymousreply 2109/18/2013

Fuck you, Stanwyck, I had her first.

by Anonymousreply 2209/18/2013

Us too

by Anonymousreply 2309/18/2013

I diddled her too, darling !

by Anonymousreply 2409/18/2013

I showed her what it's like to be with a real man.

by Anonymousreply 2509/18/2013

She turned me down.....3 times

by Anonymousreply 2609/18/2013

She went down on me - 3 times

by Anonymousreply 2709/18/2013

She rode my tongue like a prize filly!

by Anonymousreply 2809/18/2013

R25 Oh John, if only you had been as butch as Alexis Smith was , I might be straight today

by Anonymousreply 2909/18/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3009/18/2013

Agh, gurls gurls gurls, don't yew know.. she vas vas my GIRLFRIEND!

by Anonymousreply 3109/18/2013

"Lizabeth Scott"? Where's the E?

by Anonymousreply 3209/18/2013

Glenn had her too.

by Anonymousreply 3309/18/2013

On my first visit to Hollywood, in 1958, she left me raw..... 3 times. Years later, at a party at Jean Howard's, ran into Liz - Vincent gave her dirty looks all evening .

by Anonymousreply 3409/18/2013

"Glenn had her too."

Glinda the Good Witch?

by Anonymousreply 3509/18/2013

Fuck you Coral @ R34 for always trying to steal my girlfriends.

BTW Susannah wants her left tit back.

by Anonymousreply 3609/18/2013

Ooh, Liz would've been great in "Killing of Sister George" - when she was young, she was a Childie, but by the time of the actual show, she was George material.

by Anonymousreply 3709/18/2013

This is a case for Elliot Ness!!!

by Anonymousreply 3809/18/2013

I didn't mean to frame Scotty, but they made me do it!!!

by Anonymousreply 3909/18/2013

Lizabeth Scott was so daring back then! Good for her.

She seems very ok for her age! I'm impressed.

by Anonymousreply 4009/18/2013

Like Gloria Grahame, she had a very odd upper lip that seemed paralyzed.

by Anonymousreply 4109/18/2013

I think the article in Confidential ruined her career.

by Anonymousreply 4209/18/2013

No. Her lack of range and her odd looks kept her career from blossoming. And it was also the end of the studio power.

by Anonymousreply 4309/18/2013

An actress like her whose movie career had ended would probably support herself as a realtor or perhaps a hostess at an exclusive club. But in the case of Lizabeth, I do believe she was someone's mistress. Of course, i am probably basing that on the roles she played.

by Anonymousreply 4409/18/2013

The only thing I've ever read about her financial situation is that Hal Wallis made profitable investments of her earnings for her. Whatever that entails.

by Anonymousreply 4509/18/2013

I LOVE how Miss Scott pronounces "Hal Wallis". It's sublime. She's a charming storyteller.

by Anonymousreply 4609/18/2013

"She was the one you watched in THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS, even in her scene with Stanwyck. Plus she can act rings around those two..."

I hope you are not serious. Scott act rings around Stanwyck? You're nuts.

by Anonymousreply 4709/18/2013

As good as Stanwyck is, she represents the older, more theatrical style of acting, compared to Scott's more transparent style. See the thread below on acting style.

For a dramatic contrast between the two styles, compare Scott's Paula Haller with Mary Astor's Fritzi Haller in [italic]Desert Fury[/italic]. Or for a latter day example, Kim Novak's Madge with Rosalind Russell's Rosemary in [italic]Picnic[/italic] (1955).

by Anonymousreply 4809/18/2013

As for supporting herself, I think she did voice work for commercials after she stopped acting.

by Anonymousreply 4909/18/2013

Please, get a real name.

by Anonymousreply 5009/18/2013

R50. That's the way they spell it on the wrong side of the tracks in Scranton!

by Anonymousreply 5109/18/2013

I second R47 and add Mary Astor. Lizabeth Scott?

by Anonymousreply 5209/18/2013

R48, you're still nuts.

by Anonymousreply 5309/18/2013

I remember reading that she went to work in a department store - buyer or something like that.

I google imaged PULP from 1972 - she looked much older than I expected. Did she do a lot of "hard living" in her wilderness years?

by Anonymousreply 5409/18/2013

[r47] + [r53] = Constance Ford

by Anonymousreply 5509/18/2013

R48/R55 = born after 1990.

by Anonymousreply 5609/18/2013

Scott experienced a lot of stress before making that 1972 film.

Scott's fiance, Bill Dugger, suddenly died on 8 August 1969 while planning to make a film with Scott and Debbie Reynolds in Rome. This was to be Scotty's comeback.

Immediately after Dugger's death, Dugger's sister contested his will which left half his estate to Scott. The sister won the court case.

by Anonymousreply 5709/18/2013

We used to call her "LezzieBreath" Scott.

by Anonymousreply 5809/18/2013

No, moronic horse's ass at R47, R53, and R56, I'm not kidding in the slightest. What I said is true. Scott stole the scene from Stanwyck. And that's quite an accomplishment. Her unconventional looks and the lesbian scandal derailed her acting career.

by Anonymousreply 5909/18/2013

After watching all eight parts of the Scott interview by Carole Langer at Janet Leigh's home in 1996, it appears the only two female friends Scott mentioned were Patricia Neal and Ayn Rand! Kristine Miller was right after all.

Scott is plainly a very shy and introverted person. Her stage and film career was her way of overcoming this. Quite appealing, really.

by Anonymousreply 6009/18/2013

What was unconventional about Scott's looks?

by Anonymousreply 6109/18/2013

We'll have to dig up the body of the "New York Times" film critic and Scotty hater, Bosely Crowther, and ask him.

by Anonymousreply 6209/18/2013

I think Scott is a fine actress. But no one has ever "acted rings around" either Stanwyck or Astor -- not even Bette Davis, let alone Lizabeth Scott.

by Anonymousreply 6309/18/2013

[quote] Scott stole the scene from Stanwyck.

And Stanwyck caught the bitch and made her give it back, R59. Get real. Scott couldn't change Barbara's ten-day old maxipad.

by Anonymousreply 6409/18/2013

The only think unconventional about Scott's looks that I can see, is that both nostrils aren't quite in line with each other in some pictures.

by Anonymousreply 6509/18/2013

Well that's sure not a Scranton accent in that 1996 interview. She's doing the Katherine Hepburn thing.

What's wrong with the right side of her face? A stroke? Too thin. Older women need some meat on their bones or they look run over.

by Anonymousreply 6609/18/2013

Here's a clip of Scott with the oily Dan Duryea in Too Late for Tears.

by Anonymousreply 6709/18/2013

R61. She looked the underside of Lauren Bacall, that's what.

by Anonymousreply 6809/18/2013

Overbite, r61,

by Anonymousreply 6909/18/2013

The "acting rings around" does not refer to Stanwyck or Astor. It refers to Bacall and Lake.

by Anonymousreply 7009/18/2013

Dan Duryea was rumored to like the boybooty.

by Anonymousreply 7109/18/2013

Pulp is a 1972 British comedy thriller film, directed by Mike Hodges and starring Michael Caine as Mickey King, a writer of cheap paperback detective novels. The film features the final screen appearance of Lizabeth Scott.

by Anonymousreply 7209/18/2013

Compare the clip at [r67] with the one below of Katharine Hepburn.

Hepburn's and Grace Kelly's Hollywood Mid-Atlantic accents sound very different from Scotty's Midland or General American accent. In this, Scott was ahead of her time. This is part of why she feels so modern.

by Anonymousreply 7309/18/2013

Dahlings, I ate a scandalous amount of puss back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 7409/18/2013

Here's Grace Kelly's Mid-Atlantic accent in her next to last film, [italic]The Swaw[/italic]. Scotty avoided costume dramas for a reason.

Kelly was from Main Line, though, wasn't she?

by Anonymousreply 7509/18/2013

(73) I was referring to her accent in the 1996 interview. She takes on that phony old money east coast accent. In the film, you're correct; she doesn't have the Hepburn(east coast old dough)or Kelly(mainline Philly)accent; I agree she sounds very modern in those movies. So why the heck was she speaking with that annoying old fashion accent in the 1996 interview?

by Anonymousreply 7609/18/2013

Perhaps Scotty's accent is a result of hanging around too many multi-millionaires like Mortimer Hall and Bill Dugger. Too many pheasant shoots in Scotland and foxhunts in Main Line.

Maybe if she really hung around the lesbian bars like [italic]Confidential[/italic] magazine claimed, she would still sound like she does in [italic]No Time for Tears[/italic]. But I don't think she ever did.

I do have two or three suspects as to the identity of the mysterious lookalike who [italic]did[/italic] hang around those bars though. And they ain't from Scranton, either.

by Anonymousreply 7709/19/2013

I love her - and I think she was beautiful. She did a lot of film noir and was great in those movies because she looked exactly like the femme fatale who would get the hero in trouble trying to help her. I also wonder why she quit acting. And I agree she's the best thing in "Martha Ivers" - unexpected looks and manner and you can't take your eyes off her. By the way, Grace Kelly's grandfather was an Irish stable boy who made good in the US, so any accent she had was as acquired as anyone else's in Hollywood. And Hepburn's accent is sooooo overdone - she was as phony as they come.

by Anonymousreply 7809/19/2013

R71 Don't know about Dan Duryea, but Dan Dailey was a boy lover, and also loved to get into drag, after a few drinks. There is a famous story about him showing up at a press premiere for one of his films ( think it was " Its Always Fair Weather", with DL fave, Dolores Grey), drunk, and in drag. Composer Andre Previn, working at MGM at the time, wrote of a PR flack pulling Dailey aside, just before he entered the theater. Daily also stole Linda Darnell's dresses from the Fox wardrobe dept.. Darryl Zanuck made him return them, but gave him a $5,000 gift certificate to Saks dept. store.

by Anonymousreply 7909/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 8009/19/2013

The author of [italic]The Life and Loves of Barbara Stanwyck[/italic] asked Stanwyck herself, who supposedly replied, "Same sex relations are common in Hollywood. One has to do it to get ahead."

Talullah Bankhead appears to be the one who started the Stanwyck lesbian rumor. Bankhead mentioned Jean Arthur too.

by Anonymousreply 8109/19/2013

Scott's movie, DESERT FURY, can be found on youtube. Glad that some old movie fans are kind enough to post classics on-line for others.

by Anonymousreply 8209/19/2013

Take a look at "Agnes Moorehead is God" at YouTube. Stage play about BS and AM.

by Anonymousreply 8309/19/2013

[italic]Desert Fury[/italic] (1947), based on [italic]Bitter Harvest[/italic], by Ramona Stewart, serialized in "Collier's Weekly."

by Anonymousreply 8409/19/2013

Dan Daily was in tears because he felt badly wearing woman's clothes. Betty Grable asked him what is wrong, so he decided to tell her. She said Dan? you go right into that room with all of the dresses from the film and you put on those dam dresses if you want to!!! What the hell is the big deal anyway honey?!!! Nothing was a big deal to Betty Grable.

by Anonymousreply 8509/19/2013

Grace Kelly was from East Falls, Philadelphia -- wealthy, but not the Main Line. (Irish Catholics weren't part of the local Old Guard.) She learned the upper-crust accent in acting school; before that she had a lowbrow Philly twang. Her old friends thought she sounded ridiculous onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 8609/19/2013

R86, also, Grace Kelly's famliy were like the Kennedy's because they were very athletic and they roughed housed a lot.However,Grace was much more refined and very cultured. She did not fit in with her famliy,and her father did not get along with her that well because she was not into being sports like the rest of the clan.

BTW, Grace Kelly's father made his fortune owning a brick company.

by Anonymousreply 8709/19/2013

I wish Lizabeth would publish her memoirs.

by Anonymousreply 8809/19/2013

Here's a clip of Edie Beale, the cousin of Jackie O, who has a similar Long Island accent, despite the M Monroe breathy delivery. The real upper-class accents sound awful in real life.

by Anonymousreply 8909/19/2013

The clip below has real Scranton accents. They sound closer to the General American accent than the upper-class accents above, real or Hollywood. The accents on this clip are mostly Midland.

by Anonymousreply 9009/19/2013

January 64: is the companion of Laurence Harvey at James Darren's Coconut Grove debut.

by Anonymousreply 9109/19/2013

Didn't Scott date Laurence Harvey?

by Anonymousreply 9209/19/2013

[quote] "Same sex relations are common in Hollywood. One has to do it to get ahead."

I hate that bullshit meme - the gay predator.

by Anonymousreply 9309/19/2013

[r93] does that mean that Stanwyck is non-PC now?

by Anonymousreply 9409/19/2013

Stanwyck is dust, so it doesn't really matter.

It's still bullshit that Hollywood = Gay. There's lots of gay in Hollywood, but it's bullshit that they're forcing "innocents" to engage in gay sex acts when they otherwise wouldn't do so.

by Anonymousreply 9509/19/2013

Stanwyck didn't say anything in the book about anyone being forced into anything. It's just "Gay for Pay."

by Anonymousreply 9609/19/2013

R95 We strongly Disagree

Signed, John David Carson, Cory Haim, Cory Feldman, Todd Bridges, Brad Renfro, Michael Pitt, Derek Hough, and lots of others

by Anonymousreply 9709/19/2013

No comment.

by Anonymousreply 9809/19/2013

Rosemarie Bowe from the 1955 film noire [italic]The Big Bluff[/italic]. She plays a nightclub singer named "Fritzie Darvel," similarly named as the Mary Astor "Fritzi Haller" in [italic]Desert Fury[/italic].

[italic]The Big Bluff[/italic] is a typical film noire love triange that is almost a composite of several Lizabeth Scott films.

John Bromfield ([italic]Wrong Number[/italic]) and Bowe are planning to kill off his rich wife, played by Martha Vickers ([italic]The Big Sleep[/italic]).

by Anonymousreply 9909/20/2013

[r94] does Scott being Hal Wallis' mistress make up for the gay libel? Didn't Vera Ralston at Republic have the same deal with Yates? Have you no compassion for these ladies? Look at the toil poor Gloria Swanson had to do for Joe Kennedy. And think of Terry Moore and Hughes.

Anyway, I no longer believe what Bankhead said about Stanwyck and Jean Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 10009/20/2013

Here's a picture of Scott from [italic]Desert Fury[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 10109/20/2013

I first saw her as a kid in the Elvis film LOVING YOU where she was terrific. DESERT FURY is a wow of a movie - Mary Astor playing Liz's mother comes on like her lesbian lover, in fact they are both like 2 bickering lesbians. Young Burt is packing too, and as for the odd couple of John Hodiak and possessive Wendall Corey ! - Wendall, usually the most boring man in movies, comes across as the jealous lover of Hodiak here.

by Anonymousreply 10209/20/2013

Well, Corey was gay (very closeted) and a raging alcoholic (not closeted)

by Anonymousreply 10309/20/2013

Excerpts from Rexino Mondo's biography, [italic]The Immigrants' Daughter [/italic]. The time and place is 1969 in Los Angeles:

A man from Texas insisted on paying me for my singing album before I had even produced it. He asked me what state I was from. I told him Pennsylvania. Just then I heard a soft, sultry voice from behind. “I'm from Pennsylvania too!” It was actress Lizabeth Scott, who had been in some Humphrey Bogart movies. She was very interested in my singing. I didn't know that she was a singer too.

She said, “I'm decorating my fiancee's home. Maybe you could help me, Rexino? Come out to the house. He likes music too! We could listen to your production and bring those two urns. I'll put them by the pool. Okay?”

“I'd like that very much, Miss Scott.”

“Liz' will be just fine, darling! I'll see you then!”

She gave me directions and her phone number. It was like a part from out of a Humphrey Bogart movie. But this time it was for real and I was Bogart, I think. There I was winding through the mountainside, looking for a mansion on Mulholland Drive, where I was about to play a scene with sensuous Lizabeth Scott by the pool. Anxieties? No. Just a cardiac arrest as my Mercedes entered the grounds through two tall iron gates that slowly opened for me. Liz yelled to me from the other side of the pool. “Hello! Rexino!... What do you think---right here?”

“No! No! Right over there would be the perfect place. The afternoon sun will show more of their detail and reflect into the pool!” I had no idea what I was talking about. After all, nobody gave me a script. I lifted the heavy concrete urns from the trunk of my car and tried to make it appear as though it were nothing! My Mercedes gave a sign of relief.

by Anonymousreply 10409/20/2013

Excerpts from Rexino Mondo's biography, [italic]The Immigrants' Daughter [/italic]. The time and place is 1969 in Los Angeles:

The urns were in place. Liz took my arm and guided me down a hall into a large room, then introduced me to her fiance, Texas oil baron William Lafayette Dugger, Jr. He was in his late forties, of medium build, good-looking, with dark hair, a warm personality, and a strong handshake. Soon wee were all in the city of Pei experiencing the story of Angel and Michael. The oil baron listened like he had been to Pei himself a long time ago. It was a different reception than I had known before. Wheels seem to be spinning in his mind. It was like Liz and her fiance knew exactly what I was going to say.

“I'll do it!” William said. “I'll make the trip to Rome myself...I know just the place!” He was excited about the entire project. He knew Debbie Reynolds, also from Texas. Liz was to be in the movie too. Everything seem to fall into place. He said to call him Bill and gave me his phone number.

Bill took me down a curved stone stairway into a secret sub-chamber. A four-by-eight glass panel gave an underwater view of the pool. Just then, Liz glided by in the pool. Bill didn't notice, but I could tell by the way he talked that he really loved Liz. “You know, Rex, Liz made a record album and I bought every record they had. I want all of her for myself! I don't want her touring around singing. I want her here! That's why I like the idea of your movie and location.

When we reached ground level, he turned suddenly. “Wait a minute,” he said. “I'll be right back!” Bill ran like a little boy to his music room and returned with Liz's record album in his hand. The cover of the album was a full-color photograph of Liz. She looked great and vibrantly young, with a sensuous expression that would arouse anyone's curiosity as to what was inside.

“Rexino, I want you to keep this. Listen to her...there's more there than just lyrics. A misunderstood soul searching for love. Her outward appearance is just a shell. You'll understand. Let me know what you think.” Bill talked as if he had known me a long time.

While Bill was in the process of arranging the details of our trip to Rome for the making of [italic]The Legend of Angel[/italic], he died. I mystery surrounded his untimely death.

by Anonymousreply 10509/20/2013

The last sentence should read "A mystery surrounded his untimely death."

As far as I'm concerned, the [italic]Confidential[/italic] story is officially dead, ended, finished forever. Scotty is straight.

by Anonymousreply 10609/20/2013

Lizabeth Scott and Burt Lancaster in [italic]I Walk Alone[/italic] (1948). Scott stopped smoking in 1995.

by Anonymousreply 10709/20/2013

If Scott was a lesbian, she apparently did not let that interfere with her relationships with wealthy older men.

by Anonymousreply 10809/21/2013

[r108], I knew it would happen. Scotty's reputation has now swung from the pianist playing in LA lesbian bars to the heterosexual gold-digger, preying on rich old men--and with a phoney Mid-Atlantic accent to boot!

No, I think Bill Dugger had it right--"a misunderstood soul searching for love. Her outward appearance is just a shell."

Scotty is not a gold-digger, either.

by Anonymousreply 10909/21/2013

I love Scotty!!!

Thanks for everyone's replies, both good and bad!

by Anonymousreply 11009/21/2013

The Confidential story is true - Scotty ran off to Europe to work after her case was dismissed BECAUSE IT WAS TRUE.

It was not uncommon for gay women in the biz to associate/marry men who were nothing more than beards. Stanwyck, Agnes Moorehead, Capucine, Delores Del Rio.. the list is very long.

by Anonymousreply 11109/21/2013

Dolores Del Rio ? Never heard that before - she was married to MGM's longtime Art Director, Cedric Gibbons, who built her a beautiful art deco house in Santa Monica Cyn. It's one of my favorite houses ever. She was a great beauty.

by Anonymousreply 11209/21/2013

[quote]Well, Corey was gay (very closeted) and a raging alcoholic (not closeted)

It's pretty well known that Corey drank himself to death, r103, but I've never read anything about his being gay.

He was a competent and boring character actor and didn't ping at all. Poor guy, he practically disappears on screen when playing scenes with more dynamic actors.

by Anonymousreply 11309/21/2013

Read the [italic]Shocking True Story: The Rise and Fall of Confidential, "America's Most Scandalous Scandal Magazine"[/italic] by Henry E. Scott, on the 1955 magazine scandal. Robert Harrison, the publisher of "Confidential," tried to hire a detective to find out if Scott was going to a lesbian nightclub in Paris, the Chez Frede, but a "Confidential" editor tried to take a shortcut and never sent the detective to Paris to check out the nightclub. This lack of proof in part lead to the original lawsuit.

Also read [italic]Hal Wallis: Producer to the Stars[/italic] by Bernard F. Dick on how Hal Wallis--not the lesbian rumor--wreaked Scott's career. Wallis was a very possessive man with his women, whom he would get into harsh arguments with. This arguments often ended with the female fleeing in tears. This is what happened on the set of [italic]The Strange Life of Martha Ivers[/italic] between Wallis and Scott. This possessiveness is what may have led to Scott's refusal to marry Wallis after the death of his first wife. If you read the autobiography of Martha Hyer, the actress that Wallis married afterward, you will learn that Scott made a wise choice in not marrying Wallis.

Basically, Wallis kept Scott prisoner with Scott's contract, killing opportunities left and right. Only after it expired did she get free in the late 1950s. He began stymying Scott's career five years before the magazine scandal.

A famous Hollywood ambulance chaser is the one who unwisely talked someone, either Wallis or Scott, into the ill-advised lawsuit. But whether Scott won or lost really didn't matter as her career was basically over before the scandal. It appears Wallis really intended Scott as the replacement for his ill first wife all along. That Scott could succeed outside his control was the very last thing he wanted. It's even possible that Wallis or someone close to him initiated the lesbian rumor, which would ruin Scott's career and force her to marry Wallis. The origins of the “Confidential” article are themselves shrouded in mystery. And keep in mind that there was another beard arrangement with a Scott-lookalike in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 11409/21/2013

[r111], to repeat: the Stanwyck lesbian rumor was started by Tallulah Bankhead. There has never been any confirmation to Bankhead's assertion and it may well be wishful thinking on Bankhead's part, or the alcohol speaking out loud.

by Anonymousreply 11509/21/2013

If anyone wants to chime in on the cast of any Scott film, please do so. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 11609/21/2013

R112, Dolores Del Rio supposedly had an affair with Marlene Dietrich. So at least there's that.

by Anonymousreply 11709/21/2013

R110, I second your love for "Scotty." I've been a fan since seeing YOU CAME ALONG on late night tv many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 11809/21/2013

"In 1938 Marlene set Frede up in business with a nightclub that was officially called La Silhouette (after Marlene's favourite bar in Berlin), but was generally known as Chez Frede. It catered to lesbians and cross-dressing women, but also to celebrities."

This the bar that the detective for "Confidential" was suppose to go and confirm Scotty's patronage. But the "Confidential" magazine editor who was working on the story tried to take a shortcut and never sent the detective.

by Anonymousreply 11909/21/2013

R112 Ages ago I was reading a book about Old Hollywood. In a bit about the Garden of Allah the author mentioned seeing DDR one night snogging rather aggressively another actress by the pool. I think it was Harlow but don't recall. I'm a gay man, so what the girls do/did is not so interesting to me. But I do recall being a bit surprise about DDR.

by Anonymousreply 12009/21/2013

Scotty did frequent Chez Frede in Paris.

Interesting about Hal Wallis. Makes one wonder why Liz has spoken so highly of him.

Stanwyck was gay. Why is that so hard to accept? My gaydar for women is very poor as I am a man, but I know an actress who worked with BS -she told me it was common knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 12109/22/2013

Can't believe she was groomed to be a rival to Lauren Bacall. Not with that mealy-mouthed, mousy voice and that lishp.

by Anonymousreply 12209/22/2013

quote] the Stanwyck lesbian rumor was started by Tallulah Bankhead. There has never been any confirmation to Bankhead's assertion and it may well be wishful thinking on Bankhead's part, or the alcohol speaking out loud.

Tallulah would know, R115, being mostly that way herself. Why wouldn't she know who the others were?

by Anonymousreply 12509/22/2013

Link to pictures and movie posters of Scott that I haven't seen before.

by Anonymousreply 12609/23/2013

From Kirk Douglas' biography [italic]The Ragman's Son[/italic], while working with Burt Lancaster on the film, [italic]I Walk Alone[/italic]:

Lizabeth Scott played the girl we were involved with in the movie. In real life she was involved with Hal Wallis. This was a problem. Very often, she'd be in his office for a long time, emerge teary-eyed, and be difficult to work with for the rest of the day.

by Anonymousreply 12709/23/2013

Maybe Scotty got her Mid-Atlantic accent from Laurence Harvey and Steward Granger, whom she dated. She supposedly was visiting Britain every year. She used to go there with Bill Dugger.

Here's a 17 December 1994 interview in London where she states her one of her favorite foods is corned beef sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 12909/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 13009/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 13109/23/2013

Jane Powell and Dorothy Malone are still around, r130.

by Anonymousreply 13209/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 13309/23/2013

Born during the 1920s, Scotty's generation:

Eleanor Parker, Rhonda Fleming, Eva Marie Saint, Joan Leslie, Lee Grant, Jane Withers, Barbara Rush, Shirley Temple, Gina Lollobrigida, Nancy Olson, Ann Blyth, and Jane Powell.

All alive!

by Anonymousreply 13409/23/2013

I forgot Martha Hyer (Mrs Hal Wallis). She was born 10 August 1924 in Fort Worth, Texas.

by Anonymousreply 13509/23/2013

Another lost love of Scotty is Elvis!

During the shooting of [italic]Loving You[/italic], Scotty fell head-over-heels for the man with the mesmerizing blue eyes.

During scenes when Scott's character wasn't present, she'd distract everyone by trying to get a closer look at Elvis performing while the crew was shooting.

by Anonymousreply 13609/23/2013

[r122], Scott was groomed to be the "Threat" to a whole generation of actresses, not just Bacall.

As to the lisp, I find it endearing, especially when Scott plays the 19 year old Paula Haller in [italic]Desert Fury[italic]. It gives her a quality of venerability. As a femme fatale, the lisp becomes part of the disguise and lulls the hero into thinking her innocent.

Lots of actors have lisps, the most famous being Humphrey Bogart.

by Anonymousreply 13709/23/2013

R80 There's a book coming out in November - two volumes in fact - by Victoria Wilson. Wilson was very disappointed, because she assumed Barbara was a lesbian and that's why she wanted to write about her. In fact, that made page 6 of the Post years ago as a blind item. I haven't seen volume 2, but there's no evidence of it in volume 1. Wilson researched Stanwyck for probably 15 years and has tons of original research.

by Anonymousreply 13809/23/2013

About Hollywood Confidential magazine, as I recall, Susie Lee on DL once said she knew some main players from Hollywood Confidential magazine and she said most of the gossip was true.That is why Hollywood was so petrified like never before.Susie Lee said they had thee dirt on everybody,and they knew all of their secrets.If there wasn't a hint that someone was gay in their magazine, then nine out of ten they weren't gay because if they were, they would have dropped the bomb about them.

Remember what the studios had to do about Rock Hudson? Hollywood Conditional was going to out him, and instead the studios let another actor's secret of being previously in jail to be exposed in exchange for the magazine to back off of money maker Rock.

by Anonymousreply 13909/23/2013

[r129], wasn't Susie Lee the one that said Tyrone Power was straight? Or was it the other way around? The famous actor kissing John Ford that Maureen O'Hara caught in Ford's office was...Ward Bond? Or Power? Or one of the cowboys from the Sportsmen's Lodge?

by Anonymousreply 14009/23/2013

I turned on the italics at [r137] at [italic]Desert Fury[/italic] and it continues to r140. How to turn it off?

by Anonymousreply 14109/23/2013

I meant r139 at r140.

It was super agent Henry Willson that threw Rory Calhoun to the wolves at [italic]Confidential[/italic]--exposing Calhoun's robbing of jewelry stores--in exchange for the magazine keeping quiet about Hudson. Must read that book on Willson.

by Anonymousreply 14209/23/2013

R140, Susie said no one saw anything that he was anything but straight. However, she said he had an affair with Moss Hart one time when he was younger but that was it.She said he loved blonde haired women who were very trampy.

BTW, all hell breaks loose from Tyrone's children if someone claims their father was gay or even bisexual.On the message board on IMBD, those people will give you death threats if you even ask the question about his sexuality. They all have said there is no proof, and after all of these years someone from the golden era of Hollywood would have revealed he was gay or bisexual ,but on the contrary, everyone has said he loved women.

The director Robert Evens, said in his autobiography that he knew Tyrone Power and he said he was a ladies man and a man's man. In Christopher Plummer's book he said that Tyrone could spot a tramp a mile away and went after her.

Tyrone Power has always been one movie star that has been confusing to me.

by Anonymousreply 14309/23/2013

The British comedian Bob Monkhouse claimed that Tyrone Power propositioned him (while Power was in the bath).

by Anonymousreply 14409/23/2013

R140 Ford was working on several films at a time; O'Hara was at Colombia to look at costume sketches. Tyrone Power was cast in New York. That actor could have been anybody.

I do think Tyrone Power was bi. Mary Henry, who was Mary Roblee back then, was an editor at Vogue who dated him during Long Gray Line and Eddy Duchin. She said Anita Ekberg kept showing up and it was driving her crazy.

by Anonymousreply 14509/23/2013

[/italic] End of italics.

by Anonymousreply 14609/23/2013

Last try. [/italic]

We'll see if it works. If it doesn't then there's something wrong with the italic thing.

by Anonymousreply 14709/23/2013

Hal Wallis was a hard man with actors that gave him problems. He basically ended the Hollywood career of Betty Hutton when she tried to play producer. Later, with the breakup of the studio system, Betty got her wish and the lunatics finally got control of the asylum.

From another thread and another poster:

"...tremendous greed played into the demise of the studio system. For instance agent/producer Charlie Feldman was instrumental in bringing about a new Hollywood formula. Too much to say about him here - we need an entire thread on this guy - but his method, to lure stars out of the studio system and bundle his clients in projects, then produce films himself, in my estimation was the beginning of the end of Golden Hollywood."

What happened to the Hal Wallises of this world? Where did they go? While he wasn't the biggest producer, only a fraction of his output put most stuff nowadays to shame.

by Anonymousreply 14809/23/2013

About this thing that Stanwyck, Jean Arthur, Scott, etc. are lesbians. Didn't Lillian Hellman write a play about it, "The Children's Hour"? Could be the name of Scotty's biography.

Wasn't "Confidential" magazine a hotbed of McCarthyites?

by Anonymousreply 14909/23/2013

The '96 interviews in R1's post link are fascinating. Only time I've seen Scot interviewed. The interviewer is annoying most of the time, but at least she does make an attempt to probe into Scott's "social" life in Part 3. Scott's claim that she was just too busy with work rings a little disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 15009/23/2013

r150, Kirk Douglas did point out that Scott spent a lot of time in Hal Wallis' office. Keep in mind Scott's generation and her background. An introverted, Catholic Ruthenian girl from Scranton would tend to be reticent about her affairs with men.

by Anonymousreply 15109/23/2013

Charlie Feldman was the one who introduced Capucine to the movies, and he was very, very possessive of her.

by Anonymousreply 15209/23/2013

I wouldn't call Confidential a hotbed of McCarthyites. Granted, left wing politics would send tongues wagging and magazines selling. Never have people tried to make heroes out of themselves more than the so-called martyrs of the Hollyuwood investigations.

by Anonymousreply 15309/23/2013

For those who don't understand the appeal of Scotty's voice, see the link below.

Scotty's lisp seems to be used to control the emotional tone: the more lisping, the more naive and venerable, the less lisping the more commanding and adult.

by Anonymousreply 15409/23/2013

153r wouldn't be alluding to K.D.? I thought he defeated Tailgunner, that ex-NYC DA, RFK, Clare Booth Luce, the Duke and the Ghost of Trotsky all by himself. Just like in the movies!

The organization that Stanwyck, John Wayne, Gary Cooper and Ayn Rand belonged to--the name escapes me now. Can't even Google it.

by Anonymousreply 15509/23/2013

The rumor was that "A Star is Born" may or may not have been based on Barbara Stanwyck's marriage to Frank Fay. Both tried to parlay their Broadway success into film careers, and Fay's career floundered while Stanwyck's flourished. Of course, the film was a lot more melodramatic than the real thing.

by Anonymousreply 15609/23/2013

There was the rumor that "All About Eve" was based on the rivalry between Tallulah Bankhead and Scott during the original Broadway run of "The Skin of Our Teeth."

Mary Orr, author of the original story "The Wisdom of Eve," said that Tallulah Bankhead asked her personally if she had based the character of Margo Channing. Bankhead got angry when Orr said no.

by Anonymousreply 15709/23/2013

Scotty all ears as Bogart plays music with his water glass in "Dead Reckoning."

by Anonymousreply 15809/23/2013

It was based on Elisabeth Bergner and an unknown.

by Anonymousreply 15909/23/2013

From “Dance While You Can” by Shirley Mclaine:

Lizabeth Scott, a mistress of Hal Wallis, used to take her script apart word by word and put directions that seemed like a good idea in the margins. She would go over them with me, ask me what I thought. I was just learning myself. What did I know?

My margins were empty. But since Hal Wallis had “discovered” me (he was also a man I was to sue later because he treated me like a white slave), I thought I should listen to Lizabeth.

Watching her pore over her script, her platinum blond hair falling into her glistening lip-glossed mouth, I was reminded of Veronica Lake, who had been a favorite of mine when I was a child.

by Anonymousreply 16009/24/2013

Re: Wendell Corey,

In Kirk Douglas' bio "The Ragman's Son," he recalls the animosity shown toward him by Corey during the production of the play "The Wind is Ninety" in 1945. Corey made religious slurs at Douglas, due to Corey being a Congregationalist. But when Corey died of cirrhosis of the liver in 1968, Corey's widow asked Douglas to give the eulogy at her husband's funeral. Douglas did.

Researching Corey further, I had no ideal Corey was a far right-winger, along with Jeanne Crain, Sylvia Sydney, Rhonda Fleming, Troy Donahue and Jerry Lewis! I don't think any of them were Birchers, but they were definitely involved with them during the Birch Society heyday of the early 1960s.

Funny how everyone was worried about the Communists infiltrating Hollywood, when you had these characters around. Corey actually headed the AMPAS for a while. But that doesn't affect my appreciation of their art, which is beyond politics. Still, I'll never watch Corey without a extra chill up my spine. Or Jerry Lewis for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 16109/25/2013

R156, I have always heard that Star is Born is about Greta Garbo and her love of her life, her agent who was originally from Europe and who came with her to the United States both for the first time. She was madly in love with him ,but he said he was too old for her and rejected her. Also, when Greta came out to Hollywood, she became a big star ,but Hollywood didn't want to be bothered with her agent who was also a director as well. This hurt him immensely because they both thought Hollywood would make successes out of them.

by Anonymousreply 16209/26/2013

"Greta Garbo and her love of her life, her agent ... She was madly in love with him"

R162 You're killin me..

by Anonymousreply 16309/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 16409/27/2013

And Mauritz Stiller, the director R162 is referring to, was gay.

by Anonymousreply 16509/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 16609/27/2013

You mean like this?

by Anonymousreply 16709/27/2013

R138, I heard about that Stanwyck book from another author eight years ago. He told me that writer's agenda was to "make Stanwyck straight."

by Anonymousreply 16809/27/2013

The Amazon page for "A Life of Barbara Stanwyck: Steel-True 1907-1940" says Nancy Sinatra, Sr. was Barbara Stanwyck’s closest friend. Any info on the senior Nancy?

by Anonymousreply 16909/27/2013

Lizabeth Scott was born Emma Matzo on 29 September, 1922 in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Happy Birthday, Scotty!!!

by Anonymousreply 17009/29/2013

Greta Garbo wasn't a lesbian. She was bisexual and she was totally in love with her agent.

R169, I as recall, Susie Lee said when Barbara Nancy Sinatra and Stanwyck were a little bit overly close. Has anyone heard that about those two before?

by Anonymousreply 17109/29/2013

Big Nancy Sinatra = suspected lesbian.

Garbo not a lesbian? R171, you are desperate.

by Anonymousreply 17209/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 17309/29/2013

To be fair, though, she was playing Queen Christina as a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 17409/29/2013

r172, wasn't Nancy Sr. part of that Loretta Young crowd at the Church of the Good Shepard, together with Jane Wyman, Irene Dunne and Rosalind Russell? Are we suppose to believe everyone who attended that church was a lesbian? I doubt that Toni Mannix was.

Interesting that Stanwyck was neither very religious nor even political, despite her identification with the Republican party. Both institutional religion and politics disappointed her in the end.

by Anonymousreply 17509/29/2013

[R138] Whoever told you that is nuts. The author is a lesbian, and she wanted to write the book because she thought Stanwyck was gay. Stanwyck MAY have been bi - there are actually two volumes of this book because it includes a lot of what was going on in the world at the time -- so there may be more revelations in volume 2. There's no question that she slept with men.

I remember when the interviews for this book first started ages ago, and the author's assistant told me that Stanwyck was "libidinous," stating that every man he'd interviewed had an affair with her, which surprised him and his boss.

by Anonymousreply 17609/29/2013

[R171] Garbo was a lesbian. She was also a real user. I do believe she slept with John Gilbert. He was madly in love with her and did everything for her, and she just played along. That's the kind of person she was. She was involved, I believe, with Cecile de Rothschild for many years. As far as anything one might read about her many affairs and being promiscuous, I doubt that's true. She was an uptight and neurotic person who came alive in front of the camera.

by Anonymousreply 17709/29/2013

Here's a clip from the 1929 "The Show of Shows," with Beatrice Lillie, Louise Fazenda and Frank Fay. Fazenda was Hal Wallis' first wife and Fay Barbara Stanwyck's first husband. Fazenda is beautiful, but Frank? What was Barbara thinking?

by Anonymousreply 17810/01/2013

Barbara Stanwyck had a very rough childhood. She grew up in a super poor background. Her parents both died when she and her brother were very little and they were put in separate foster homes. Barbara Stanwyck tried to make contact with him when they were children,but she was unsuccessful. She became a show girl and she was part of the rough city life. She was tough, very strong, and a survivor because her negative background. I think that is why she was tough in Hollywood in her career. Hollywood has always been a man's world ,and I think her background must have given her the tools she needed to survive the crap that was in Hollywood.However, with her personal relationships she seemed insecure. When Robert Taylor left her, she made life hell for him by making him pay enormous amounts of alimony to the point he had to constantly find work as revenge. She was madly in love with him, and at the same time, she might have felt a psychological connection. Both of her parents died at a very young age, being forced to go into a foster home, and she and her brother separated. She must have had a lot of issues.

BTW, Richard Chamberlain claimed he had an affair with Barbara Stanwyck on the set of Thorn Birds. Does anyone really believe that BS?

by Anonymousreply 17910/01/2013

r179, Stanwyck in doing that nude scene with Richard Chamberlain, flubbed her lines. Gorgeous man!

by Anonymousreply 18010/01/2013

R175, Nancy Sinatra Sr was also a buddy of one black beauty named Lena Horne. Lena despised Frank, but liked Nancy a lot during and after her marriage to FS. It wasn't religion that brought them together.

by Anonymousreply 18110/01/2013

"BTW, Richard Chamberlain claimed he had an affair with Barbara Stanwyck on the set of Thorn Birds. Does anyone really believe that BS?"

Was that after the torrid affair with Robert Wagner? Where did he claim this?

by Anonymousreply 18210/01/2013

The idea, R183, is that Lena had a crush on Ava or had an affair with Ava. That's why Sinatra began hating her -- he was suspicious.

Lena had been separated from gay husband Lennie Hayton for ages by the time Sinatra called because Hayton was in the hospital in 1971. She supported him and let him live in her Palm Springs house while she lived in NYC. I'd say Hayton was damned lucky to have Lena's financial support since he rarely worked. In addition, to have someone like Frank Sinatra judging your marriage is more than insane.

Lena and big Nancy Sinatra were good friends for a long time. Perhaps they ran in the same social circles? I have no idea. Nancy Jr. said that as a child she went clothes shopping with her mother and Lena, and was shocked that Lena didn't wear underwear.

by Anonymousreply 18410/01/2013

R185, just because women are lesbians does not mean they're all friends. Is this news to you? Looks like you read the James Gavin bio of Lena. Be advised there's lots that didn't make it into the book -- Lena was still alive when it was published.

The Lena-Ava rumors have been around since the 1950s. They're not based on "evidence." Neither is anything on Nancy Sinatra Sr posted at the Datalounge. This is a gossip site, not the New York Times.

by Anonymousreply 18610/01/2013

Hey, this thread is supposed to be about ME!

by Anonymousreply 18810/01/2013

Thanks for that link, R190, that was great.

by Anonymousreply 19210/01/2013

Sorry OP I just want to mention this one thing. My mother had a friend who was once a costume designer in Hollywood. She said Ava wanted her to be her secretary ,but her friends warned her to keep away from the job. They told her Ava was well known for hitting on her female secretaries, so she ditched the job offer. She said Ava was bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 19410/01/2013

"Because Confidential did not do business in California and couldn't be sued in the state courts, Gieseler said the only solution was legislation and called on Atty. Gen. Pat Brown to go before the Legislature to get a bill that would allow legal action"

What gibberish meant to confuse the facts. Liberace had no trouble suing Confidential successfully.

The Confidential story re Scotty was true - leaked to the press by the cops for moolah.

I'm a gay man and even I know all these women preferred the company of women. What is the big deal? I have much respect for Scott who must have gone thru absolutely dreadful times but managed to emerge with her wits and dignity.

by Anonymousreply 19510/01/2013

"I'm a gay man and even I know all these women preferred the company of women. What is the big deal?"

R195, you sound like the one sane gay man on the DL. Usually it is a big deal here because people feel rejected.

by Anonymousreply 19710/02/2013

LOL, R196, you make me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 19810/02/2013

R196, Confidential didn't just pick Scott out of the blue to put in the story. Whether or not their story was true, they used her because there were already rumors about her being into girls.

by Anonymousreply 19910/02/2013

Hal Wallis might have been involved.

by Anonymousreply 20010/02/2013

Scott and french actress Michele Morgan, going for an outing.

by Anonymousreply 20210/02/2013

r203, 201 and all, you certainly have an agenda. I'll guess you are very young and believe all of the 'evidence' you read on the internet.

Lizabeth Scott, Jean Arthur = LESBIANS. Why you need to 'research' this, and why you are so disbelieving is sort of like the my grandmother thinking very few men are really homosexuals, except for the perverts. Yes, many women, even the good looking ones can and were lesbian. Deal with it and get the fuck over it.

by Anonymousreply 20410/02/2013

Copied from the IMDb message board for Lizabeth Scott:

Chicago Daily Times, Monday, October 11, 1947, p. 39, c. 5:

Her Hollywood pals suspect it's a romance that has been keeping Lizabeth Scott, the beautful actress, commuting between Cleveland and Chicago the past few days. She flew from Chicago to Cleveland and back again a few days ago via United Air Lines, and is due for another round trip this week. . . .

by Anonymousreply 20610/03/2013

Lizabeth Scott with Ann Blythe, Gary Cooper and Terry Moore.

by Anonymousreply 20710/05/2013

I'm linking to a non glamour pic of Lizabeth.

by Anonymousreply 20810/05/2013

I'll try for you.

by Anonymousreply 20910/05/2013

R207 Thanks for that - Liz looks beautiful in that pic

by Anonymousreply 21010/05/2013

Musician Lew Snowden and Humphrey Bogart play a game of chess on the set of "Dead Reckoning." Visitor John Loder and Lizabeth Scott are the spectators.

by Anonymousreply 21110/05/2013

Regarding the court cases involving "Confidential" magazine, according to "Liberace: An American Boy" by Darden Asbury Pyron, no one won or lost.

Contrary to r195, "Confidential" never lost any court case with Liberace or anyone else, period. The publisher Harrison merely settled out of court with Maureen O'Hara, Errol Flynn and Liberace.

Liberace got only $40,000 and a career in shambles. He had to rebuild his career from the PR wreckage. In retrospect, he probably should not have started the lawsuit.

Apparently the only real victors were the lawyers.

I can see now why Scott didn't pursue her case.

BTW, the chief editor of "Confidential" was an extreme right-winger who later killed his wife and himself.

by Anonymousreply 21210/05/2013

There is something sad about her in a lot of photos and film

by Anonymousreply 21310/05/2013

r213, there is. Heartbreak. A lot of people disappointed her. Just look at the cruelty of some of the posters here, which is really nothing compared to the non-gay sites! In a odd way, Scotty reminds me of the situation of Blanche DuBois, who always depended on the kindness of strangers.

by Anonymousreply 21410/05/2013

[quote]All stars from the golden era were gay, with the exception of Sydney Greenstreet, Sonja Henie, and the Coroner from Munchkinland.

Might want to check your facts there...

by Anonymousreply 21510/05/2013

I've heard of her, but I looked at her films on imdb and I've never even heard of any of them but Stanwyck movie. I'm intrigued by her after reading this thread and seeing the pics--and finding out she's still alive! I'm going to have to find some of these films to watch. Has she given any interviews recently?

by Anonymousreply 21610/05/2013

R216 Catch up, my friend. There are 2 or 3 interviews of Liz, in this thread alone. Did you ride a short bus to school ? Did people ever refer to you as 'slow' ?

by Anonymousreply 21710/06/2013

Look, Martha, you rancid cunt, I said I'd read the thread, so yes I saw the interviews from years ago. Just because you're so fucking ancient that you can't remember what "recent" means, don't take your bitterness about your sad life out on others.

Maybe you shouldn't use what little brain power you have left trying to appear "witty" on an Internet message board. I'm sure your cat was impressed when you told him all about it.

I hope that cat makes it out unscathed when you have the grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 21810/06/2013

R218 Why you wicked little cunt. Do you not understand I played the bitch in nearly every single film I ever made ? Of course not. You seem to know nothing about classics, or fim noir. Why am I speaking to you at all (Door slam)

by Anonymousreply 21910/06/2013

Biggest Scotty image collection I could find at the link below:

by Anonymousreply 22010/06/2013

Publicity still for "Dead Reckoning."

by Anonymousreply 22110/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 22210/06/2013

Lizabeth Scott Hits Out At 'Scruffy' Stars by WENN 21 April 2008

Forties film noir star LIZABETH SCOTT has hit out at the "scruffy" celebrities of today, like supermodel KATE MOSS - insisting they look like "vagrants".

Scott, who is famed for roles alongside Humphrey Bogart, Kirk Douglas and Elvis Presley, believes that stars have an obligation to be stylish and sophisticated as they are role models to teenage girls.

And the 85-year-old targets Moss as one of the worst offenders.

She says, "I saw Kate Moss and her new beau all over the cover on the news-stand and thought they looked like vagrants; so scruffy and grubby - just awful.

"I'd like to see Miss Moss smarten up her act. Doesn't she know young women look up to her? She would have lasted 10 seconds under the Hollywood studio system."

But Scott has kind words for a handful of A-listers who do meet her style criteria - including Victoria Beckham, Dita Von Teese and Paris Hilton.

She adds, "Two of the three might not be the sharpest tools in the box, but they are glamorous and always impeccably turned out."

by Anonymousreply 22310/06/2013

Great post at R223. I agree with Lizabeth Scott to a point I think they dress like such slobs who don't remotely career and its upsetting. I think Paris dresses like the cheap whore that she is.

by Anonymousreply 22410/07/2013

r224, which is the sharp tool in the box?

On rereading "Hal Wallis: Producer to the Stars," when "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" came out in 1946 in England, Scotty was mobbed by crowds of Britons when she toured the theaters in London, Liverpool and Manchester.

The author of the book, Bernard Dick, says Scotty's father is Italian and her mother Slovakian. The Wikipedia says they're Ruthenian. Scotty herself on the video interview says she's Russian. I guess we're just have to call Scotty a Heinz 57 American.

by Anonymousreply 22510/07/2013

I always thought Mazzo sounded Italian.

by Anonymousreply 22610/07/2013

In reading "The Girls: Sappho Goes to Hollywood Hardcover" by Diana McLellan, on July 25, 1955, Scott's lawyer Jerry Giesler started a lawsuit against "Confidential" two months before the Scott article was published.

"Confidential" was in the blackmail business, where actors were given a preview of article about themselves, which coud be bought for a price. Scotty refused to pay and the rest is history.

I wonder if what would have happened if "Confidential" was paid off? I doubt that Wallis would have paid. Scott's career peaked in 1949 and was throttled down by Wallis till there was little left by 1955. Scott dumped Wallis after 1957. Louise Fazenda, Wallis' first wife was getting old and would die in 1963. But before Louise died, Wallis was already seeing Martha Hyer, since Scotty flew the coop.

Disappointing that Tallulah Bankhead, Jack Warner and Burt Lancaster didn't think much of Scotty. Also interesting that ultimate martinet, Friz Lang, would be the first to couch Scott on film acting, as opposed to stage acting. If Lang took the time to couch Scotty, he must have seen something in her!

by Anonymousreply 22710/07/2013

Regarding the rumor of "All About Eve" being inspired by the rivalry between Tallulah Bankhead and Lizabeth Scott, quote from a website:

"(Michael) Myerberg was responsible for an incident that inspired the movie "All About Eve." He hired a 20-year old actress/model to be Bankhead's understudy, over Bankhead's objection. It was rumored he was sleeping with her. The young woman, born to Slovak immigrant parents in Scranton as Emma Matzo, went professionally by the name Elizabeth Scott. She never got to go on for Bankhead in the Broadway production, in which she also had a walk-on part. When she took over the role in the Boston production, she dropped the initial E in her name. It was as Lizabeth Scott that she became a Hollywood star, appearing in 1946 in her breakout role with Barbara Stanwyck in “The Strange Love of Martha Ivers.”"

"Tallulah!: The Life and Times of a Leading Lady" by Joel Lobenthal, confirms the above with further details.

Myerberg violated the original contract with Bankhead, which stipulated that there be no understudy for Bankhead's role. Bankhead nearly walked out on the production. Despite Bankhead's demands, Myerberg wouldn't bulge---"Elizabeth stays." This would explain Bankhead's intense dislike for Scott throughout the play's run while Bankhead's starred.

The clash between Bankhead and Scott took place in 1942, before the Elisabeth Bergner incident, when Bergner met a unnamed actress, who "took over Bergner's life" while Bergner played in "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" (1943) on Broadway. The rivalry between Bankhead and Scott was well known in 1942 and years afterward. But Mary Orr claimed her 1946 story, "The Wisdom of Eve" was based on the Bergner incident. Coincidence?

Scotty apparently fell in love with Myerberg, who appears to have abandoned her later. That must have been hard on a 20-year old girl.

by Anonymousreply 22810/07/2013

Before Alfred Hitchcock and Tippi Hedren, there was Hal Wallis and Lizabeth Scott. It's an old Hollywood story---control freak producers who end up trying to destroy their own creations. But Scotty and Tippi survived anyway.

by Anonymousreply 22910/07/2013

I like that r223. Old stars were always commenting about the current generation of actors/celebs like that.

by Anonymousreply 23010/07/2013

Friends of Scotty chronology

1. 1942-1943: Michael Meyerberg (Broadway producer of “The Skin of Our Teeth.” Married. Gave Scotty her first big break at the age of 20, despite Tallulah Bankhead's protests. After Female Rival No. 1, Bankhead, left the original production, Scotty is denied Bankhead's role, despite being the understudy. Scotty starred instead in the Boston production.)

2. September 1943-1960?: Hal Brent Wallis (Hollywood producer working for Paramount after leaving Warner. Married. Basically he was the one who made Scotty an A-lister. He starred Scotty in “The Strange Love of Martha Ives,” where Scotty ran into Female Rival No. 2. Despite Barbara Stanwyck's initial protests that Scotty cannot share top billing, Stanwyck eventually relented. Then around 1949, for unknown reasons, Hal began to throttle Scott's career to B-list. This occurred about the time she was dating playboy Mortimer Hall. Despite public expectations that Wallis would marry Scott after the death of Louise Fazenda in 1962, Wallis' first wife, he married Martha Hyer in 1963.

3. 1946-unknown date: Steward Granger (Scotty dated her first British actor)

4. Unknown late 1940s-June 1950: Mortimer Wadhams Hall (President of LA radio station KLAC, son of Dorothy Schiff, publisher of “The New York Post”. Yachtsman and fox-hunter. Hollywood columnists at the time were certain Scotty and Mort were hitched, but Female Rival No. 3 appeared on the scene. Mort suddenly dumped Scotty in June 1950 for Ruth Roman. Later after his divorce from Roman, Mort pursued Scotty lookalike Rosemarie Bowes, despite the “Confidential” magazine scandal.) 5. January 1964-unknown date: Laurence Harvey (Scotty went out with another British actor. Scott's Anglophilia should be plain by now. She later drives Rolls and Jaguars, besides taking yearly trips to Britain.) 6. Earliest known date June 1967-August 8 1969: William Lafayette Dugger, Jr. (Texas oil executive, rancher. Resembled Montgomery Cliff. Divorced. He was previously married to actress Mara Lane. Scotty travelled to Acapulco, Mexico, Britain and elsewhere with Bill.) It was announced in US newspapers sometime between April and June of 1969 of the impeding wedding of Scott and Dugger. But Bill died mysteriously that August before traveling to Rome to produce a movie. This was to be Scotty's comeback. Female Rival No. 4 appeared. Dugger's sister contested Bill's will that left half his estate to his fiancee. Scotty lost the court case and got nothing.

Info gathered from published biographies, newspapers and websites.

by Anonymousreply 23110/08/2013

Friends of Scotty chronology

1. 1942-1943: Michael Meyerberg (Broadway producer of “The Skin of Our Teeth.” Married. Gave Scotty her first big break at the age of 20, despite Tallulah Bankhead's protests. After Female Rival No. 1, Bankhead, left the original production, Scotty is denied Bankhead's role, despite being the understudy. Scotty starred instead in the Boston production.)

2. September 1943-1960?: Hal Brent Wallis (Hollywood producer working for Paramount after leaving Warner. Married. Basically he was the one who made Scotty an A-lister. He starred Scotty in “The Strange Love of Martha Ives,” where Scotty ran into Female Rival No. 2. Despite Barbara Stanwyck's initial protests that Scotty cannot share top billing, Stanwyck eventually relented. Then around 1949, for unknown reasons, Hal began to throttle Scott's career to B-list. This occurred about the time she was dating playboy Mortimer Hall. Despite public expectations that Wallis would marry Scott after the death of Louise Fazenda in 1962, Wallis' first wife, he married Martha Hyer in 1963.

3. 1946-unknown date: Steward Granger (Scotty dated her first British actor)

4. Unknown late 1940s-June 1950: Mortimer Wadhams Hall (President of LA radio station KLAC, son of Dorothy Schiff, publisher of “The New York Post”. Yachtsman and fox-hunter. Hollywood columnists at the time were certain Scotty and Mort were hitched, but Female Rival No. 3 appeared on the scene. Mort suddenly dumped Scotty in June 1950 for Ruth Roman. Later after his divorce from Roman, Mort pursued Scotty lookalike Rosemarie Bowes, despite the “Confidential” magazine scandal.)

5. January 1964-unknown date: Laurence Harvey (Scotty went out with another British actor. Scott's Anglophilia should be plain by now. She later drives Rolls and Jaguars, besides taking yearly trips to Britain.)

6. Earliest known date June 1967-August 8 1969: William Lafayette Dugger, Jr. (Texas oil executive, rancher. Resembled Montgomery Cliff. Divorced. He was previously married to actress Mara Lane. Scotty travelled to Acapulco, Mexico, Britain and elsewhere with Bill.) It was announced in US newspapers sometime between April and June of 1969 of the impeding wedding of Scott and Dugger. But Bill died mysteriously that August before traveling to Rome to produce a movie. This was to be Scotty's comeback. Female Rival No. 4 appeared. Dugger's sister contested Bill's will that left half his estate to his fiancee. Scotty lost the court case and got nothing.

Info gathered from published biographies, newspapers and websites.

by Anonymousreply 23210/08/2013

I think Liz Scott would be thrilled that so many here have shown interest in her, and her career. Who cares what, or who she is / was, in her private life. The cruel comments are all in fun, I hope.

I do know for a fact, she lives in the same home she has owned since the 50's. If any of you would like to drop her a line, I'm sure she'd appreciate it - she is 91. I still feel she was robbed of a longer career, by all the trashy gossip, much as I love it. ( Gossip). I also love truth too. In her case, because of the times, what was written about her, true or not, was considered immoral, and illegal. Just incomprehensible ! But if you've enjoyed her films, let her know.

Lizabeth Scott : 8277 Hollywood Blvd., LA,CA. 90069

by Anonymousreply 23310/08/2013

Thanks for the kinds words, Mr Hollywood. Scotty has thousands of fans around the world, judging from all the websites that talk about her. I sure the posters here will write her.

Regarding Mary Orr's story about the origins of "The Wisdom of Eve," I beginning to suspect the unnamed actress of Elisabeth Bergner's tale may have the reality of Raymond Burr's "wife," if you know what I mean.

Mary Orr may have been trying to avoid the truth due to legal reasons. "All About Eve" really is a parody of what happened during "The Skin of Our Teeth." The least they could have done was let Bankhead and Scotty play the leads, instead of Davis and Baxter!

by Anonymousreply 23410/08/2013

Cute house. When I visit LA, I often wonder about the stories behind the people living in some of those houses. I bet her neighbors don't even know she used to be a star.

by Anonymousreply 23510/08/2013

So, what's the big deal about having an understudy during the run of a play? I thought that was normal for big productions.

Was Tallu just being a bitch? I mean, Lizabeth was there as an actress in the play anyway.

Stage people are so weird.

by Anonymousreply 23610/08/2013

r236, in "Tallulah!: The Life and Times of a Leading Lady," it's revealed that Meyerberg made that strange contract to humor Bankhead. Of course he had to violate afterward. Understudies are basic insurance.

Diva she was, Bankhead had to be the ONLY one whom the entire play would depend on. She had this idea that she would always be on stage for every performance. Strangely, she never missed one performance, despite her personal habits---or scarily enough maybe because of them.

As we know, Scotty only played Sabina when Gladys George was out sick for two nights.

Yeah, it was a big deal for Tallulah. She plainly saw Scotty as a competitor and acted accordingly. Tallulah did not like Scotty. This is made obvious when Mary Orr probably lied to Tallulah about "The Wisdom of Eve" having nothing to do with Tallulah and Scotty. Tallulah got mad and never spoke to Orr again. "All About Eve" obviously touched a raw nerve with Bankhead's memory of Scotty.

by Anonymousreply 23710/08/2013

Skin of Our Teeth also starred the young Montgomery Clift and it was directed by Elia Kazan who resisted casting Clift as he didn't like working with gay actors, but finally accepted Clift as his talent couldn't be denied and writer Thornton Wilder insisted on Clift (probably because the closeted Wilder had a crush on the beautiful Monty). Someone ought to write a play about the backstage drama of Skin of Our Teeth.

by Anonymousreply 23810/08/2013

MH/R233, thanks for the address. I'm going to send her a fan letter, and hope others do so as well.

by Anonymousreply 23910/08/2013

Who replaced Bankhead when she left the Broadway production. I thought it those days that it was customary for stars to play the whole run, which usually worked out because shows didn't tend to run longer than a year or two.

by Anonymousreply 24010/08/2013

Miriam Hopkins. Bankhead left in March 1943. Perhaps it was over her feud with the director Elia Kazan, though Bankhead feuded with a lot of people connected to that play.

Bankhead started on November 18, 1942. She starred in the original run in New Haven in October.

After Hopkins, Gladys George took over the Sabina role.

by Anonymousreply 24110/08/2013

[quote]After Hopkins, Gladys George took over the Sabina role.

I love Gladys George's turn as the faded alcoholic Broadway star in THE HARD WAY

by Anonymousreply 24210/08/2013

r238, that's interesting since Scotty's fiance, Bill Dugger, looked similar to Cliff.

by Anonymousreply 24310/08/2013

[bold]BINGHAMTON PRESS Tues., Jan. 19, 1954 Lizabeth Opposes New Paris Styles By BOB THOMAS Associated Press Hollywood Writer[/bold]

Hollywood---American women should give the heave-ho to the mannish styles that France is trying to foist on them, Lizabeth Scott counseled today.

“Oh, they're awful,” exclaimed Miss Scott in her foggy voice. She had seen some pictures of the late Paris styles. The models had boyish haircuts and their outfits lacked the curves that are customary with most females.

“It's absolutely subversive! What will happen to the institution of marriage? No man wants to marry someone who looks like his brother. Or if he's an older man, his son. This could upset our whole system. It's the women who keep men from fighting. If men lose their respect for women and treat them as men, it could lead to chaos!” Perhaps she was putting it a little too strongly. But there was on doubt that she was perturbed by the Parisian trend in women's styles.

[bold]WOMEN IN TROUSERS[/bold]

“I think it's all right for women to wear trousers,” she commented. “But I favor the fitted, toreador pants that cling to a woman's figure and shows her contours. I also like with it a blouse that will reveal the outline of her bosom, not conceal it.

“I'll go half-way on the mannish look. If a woman appears mannish below the neck, her face and hair should be feminine. If she wants to wear a short haircut that looks like a man's, her clothes should be feminine.

“But I can think nothing worse than a woman wearing one of those flat-chested, narrow-hipped outfits and a short haircut with a little makeup. That's supposed to be the new style too---heavy eye makeup, a thin line of lipstick and a white face. Ugh! I suppose some of the ultra-smart women will dress up like that, and you'll see such things in the high-fashion magazines.

“Most American women would not think nothing of sacrificing their glamour so. They would lose whatever charm they have for men.”

Miss Scott was looking very feminine when I saw her on the range at Republic. She was making “Four Desperate Men” there for Benedict Bogeaus, and she was decked out as a frontier belle. Her blonde hair was on her shoulders, and she said she'll keep it that way.

“Yes, I cut mine short, along with everything else,” she recalled. “Short cuts look all right on some brunettes, like Elizabeth Taylor, or Jean Simmons.

“But for blondes and redheads, long hair is best. Girls like Arlene Dahl and Susan Hayward are much more beautiful with long hair. After all, a woman's crowning glory is her hair, and she shouldn't sacrifice it for the whims of fashion.”

by Anonymousreply 24410/08/2013

The first sentence under the "Glamour Sacrifice" section of the preceding article should read "“Most American women would not think of sacrificing their glamour so."

by Anonymousreply 24510/08/2013

In "All About All About Eve: The Complete Behind-the-Scenes Story of the Bitchiest Film Ever Made!" by Sam Staggs, the woman who Elisabeth Bergner hired as a secretary was Martina Lawrence, who Mary Orr claimed was the character that Eve Harrington was based on.

But when Lawrence was interviewed, her retelling of her employment bore little resemblance either Bergner's account or the Mary Orr story "The Wisdom of Eve." Lawrence claimed that Bergner lied about her and that she was only an employee and never tried to control her employer.

In a meeting with the author and Mary Orr, Lawrence told Orr directly "You made quite a career of mixing fact and fiction."

"The Wisdom of Eve" is most likely based on the conflict between Tallulah Bankhead and Elizabeth Scott (as she was named then) during the production of "The Skin of Our Teeth."

Scott's first film "You Came Along" was released July 4, 1945.

"The Wisdom of Eve" was published in "Cosmopolitan" in May 1946.

In the original story (not the film), Eve goes off to Hollywood with a contract. This parallels the story of Scott. I believe Tallulah Bankhead was aware of the above facts.

by Anonymousreply 24610/09/2013

"Female of the Species", Molllé Mystery Theater episode / Date: June 7, 1946

Plot: Eva Lester (Lizabeth Scott) proves that the female of the species is deadlier than the male.

by Anonymousreply 24710/10/2013

For those of you who wish to get an autographed photo from Lizabeth Scott, here's instructions copied from the site:

Lizabeth Scott 8277 Hollywood Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90069-1611 USA

If you want to request an autograph, follow the guidelines bellow. If you just want to mail a letter with the address above, and do not want anything back, then you can stop reading! If you live in USA send a properly stamped and self addressed envelope (minimum size 8.5" x 4") with your request letter and a photo. You can include a piece of cardboard to keep the photo from bending in shipping and also add "Do Not Bend" on the envelopes. Send your letter and wait. On average, there is going to be a 3+ month wait for a response. If you do not live in USA, add several* International Reply Coupons. The International Reply Coupons (IRC) will be used by the receiver to purchase American stamps. You can only get them at your post office. Place the IRCs into the envelope, not on it. For more information on reply coupons click here. *For information on postage prices to receive a letter from USA.

Various websites sell new copies of Scotty photos. Remember to SEND a photo!

by Anonymousreply 24810/13/2013

I found a 2012 interview of Scotty by Burt Prelutsky, the LA Magazine movie reviewer. It corrects and confirms some of the previous posts:

1. Scotty mentions her first love with a man when she was 19 or 20. This sounds like Michael Meyerberg, the producer of “The Skin of Our Teeth.”

2. During the play's run, Tallulah Bankhead would only “bark orders” at Scotty and refused otherwise to speak to her. Scotty got back by demanding Bankhead “say please,” which Bankhead did afterward.

3. Scotty's family is conservative Republican and she follows this family tradition. Interestingly enough, she starred in the anti-McCarthyite “Silver Lode” (1954) with another Republican, John Payne. I suspect this may have set off Howard Rushmore, the chief editor of “Confidential” magazine and card-carrying McCarthyite, to publish the gay-baiting article on Scott. The villain of that film, Dan Dureya, was even named “McCarty.” Scotty is another victim of McCarthyism.

4. Despite being rejected by Jack Warner at Warner Brothers, Scotty did attend parties at his house after she became a star. I'm sure she was tactful enough not to mention the existence of Hal Wallis.

5. Scotty's favorite movie is “Dr. Zhivago.” Her favorite author is Proust. She likes Chopin and Rod Steward. The most useful book is Emerson's “Essays.” She is Catholic and definitely believes in God.

6. Scotty's career caused a lot of problems for her family back in Scranton---they hated it. This appears the primary reason she maintained a low profile after the “Confidential” affair.

7. Her original stage name came from Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots.

8. Scotty was so enraged by a bad review by the NYT Bosely Crowther, she actually called him up and complained about it. That he was nice about it, I suspect had to do more with Scott being a young and pretty ingenue than any merits to her argument.

Outside of this interview, I read her father was born in England, which may account for her lifelong interest in Britain. That Louise Wallis, Hal Wallis' first wife, was fully aware of the affair between Scott and Hal---but Louise was socializing with young men of her own, though she was far from being a Toni Mannix. Burt Bacharach in his autobiography says he had an affair with Scotty, but broke it off as he was still married to Angie Dickinson.

The playgirl that allegedly seduced Desi Arnez during WW2, Ronnie Quillan, was hired by “Confidential” to have luncheon with Scott. Ronnie was to be bugged with a wristwatch microphone by the Hollywood Detective Agency. But the agency owner, H. L. Von Wittenburg, told the publisher Robert Harrison “It stinks” and the plan never went through. “Confidential” later gave Scotty the opportunity to “buy back” the article, but she sued instead.

by Anonymousreply 24910/18/2013

With Elvis

by Anonymousreply 25011/18/2013

With Elvis on the set of "Loving You", February, 1957.

More of Liz with Elvis on images the Elvis

by Anonymousreply 25111/20/2013

Scott's last TV performance was in 1963 in the Burke's Law episode "Who Killed Cable Roberts?", along with Mary Astor, Paul Lynde, John Saxon, Zsa Zsa Gabor, and Chill Wills. (scroll down for pictures).

by Anonymousreply 25211/20/2013

Where did you get a copy (or view) DESERT FURY? It's not on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 25311/20/2013

r253, "Desert Fury" is available in PAL format, which is regularly sold on eBay. Of course one needs a multi-region player. There's a Youtube link on this thread.

Regarding "Desert Fury," there's a book, "Arizona's Little Hollywood: Sedona and Northern Arizona's Forgotten Film History 1923-1973," which cover the production history of the film. Contrary to the IMDb forum on "Desert Fury," Liz really was on location in Arizona, though a double may been used in some scenes. She visited an Indian reservation and was shocked at the poverty there. The real-life Cottonwood, Arizona appeared as Chuckwalla, Nevada in the film.

by Anonymousreply 25411/20/2013

ES couldn't have made that much money from her movie roles. Wonder how she is surviving 60 years without working

by Anonymousreply 25511/20/2013

r255, Hal Wallis supposedly helped her invest her money. In an interview, Liz said the secret to investment success is not to be greedy.

by Anonymousreply 25611/20/2013

Scotty in a '40s red-sweater pose.

by Anonymousreply 25711/23/2013

Thanks for that link, R252. She still looked great in '63. Funny also, Zsa Zsa Gabor playing a maid in that episode!

by Anonymousreply 25811/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 25911/23/2013

For the more intellectually inclined, here's a link to David Ehrenstein’s essay, “Desert Fury, Mon Amour,” which adds further controversy over the meaning of "Desert Fury." Highbrow.

by Anonymousreply 26011/23/2013

Yeah, the loss of her fiance must have taken a lot out of her, judging by the Michael Caine movie, which was only seven years after the 63 TV guest spot.

by Anonymousreply 26111/23/2013

Further info on the novel "Desert Town" (1946), which "Desert Fury" derives from is on the article link below. The author, Ramona Steward, also wrote "The Possession of Joel Delaney," which was made into a movie starring another Hal Wallis discovery, Shirley MacLaine.

I haven't read "Desert Town, but have read "Bitter Harvest," the abridged version serialized in "Collier's Weekly," available online "Bitter Harvest." While it differs from the film, it still has the odd sexual triangle of Paula Haller, Eddie and Johnny. Paula is 17 years old in the original story, which was changed in the film to 19 for censorship reasons.

There's another review of the film "Desert Fury" on with plenty of vidcaps.

by Anonymousreply 26211/23/2013

Here's a link to the December 3, 1951 issue of "Life." When our Liz was introduced to Queen Liz, our Liz was introduced as "Zachary Scott." According to the caption, Princess Margaret corrected the speaker.

"You mean Lizabeth."

by Anonymousreply 26311/29/2013

The Jodie Foster of her day. Too bad she'll probably never come out.

Maybe they'll uncover a partner when she passes.

by Anonymousreply 26411/29/2013

Here's another look of Liz. Perhaps from the '50s.

by Anonymousreply 26511/29/2013

[quote] Maybe they'll uncover a partner when she passes.

What? Like in a trunk?

by Anonymousreply 26611/29/2013

Try again.

by Anonymousreply 26711/29/2013

Scotty appears with Abbott & Costello in "The Colgate Comedy Hour": Season 3, Episode 5 Episode #3.5 (19 Oct. 1952).

by Anonymousreply 26812/02/2013

Scotty appears at 3:00 in a costumed song and dance number ("Lollipop") with Gracie Fields and Patti Paige in "The Big Record": Season 1, Episode 31 (23 Apr. 1958).

by Anonymousreply 26912/02/2013

Dame Lizabeth Scott what do you think of Maria Bello? Does she have your approval?

by Anonymousreply 27012/02/2013

Here's a link to Liz's appearance in the 1960s TV series "Burke's Law," as the man-eating widow of a big game hunter in "Who Killed Cable Roberts?" An urbane Gene Barry leads the cast, which includes Mary Astor, Zsa Zsa Gabor, John Saxon and Paul Lynde. Great camp performances throughout. Liz was never sexier.

by Anonymousreply 27101/10/2014

R54 and R72 mentioned the 1972 film "Pulp," starring Michael Caine, Mickey Rooney and Lizabeth Scott, which I watched last night on Swarm TV (link below}. It's a camp thriller even more surrealistic than the "Burke's Law" episode mentioned above. Again Liz plays a man-eating cougar, now named Princess Betty Cippola--who along with her ex-husband, Preston Gilbert (Rooney)--lives with the Beautiful People on Malta. Gilbert is a retired Hollywood actor who hires a hack English writer, Mickey King (Caine), to ghost his autobiography, but murderous complications ensue.

This was Liz's last film appearance.

by Anonymousreply 27201/10/2014

Anyone know where she lives now?

by Anonymousreply 27301/10/2014

What kind of an accent did she have? Wasn't her native Scranton Coal Cracker speech.

by Anonymousreply 27401/10/2014

Rod Steward?

by Anonymousreply 27501/10/2014

Scott's Italian-British father was born in England and may have been a voice influence. As a child in Scanton, her Ruthenian-American mother sent her to diction class. This must have been during the 1930s at the height of the Mid-Atlantic craze. The "American" accent that she uses in her movies is probably not her real voice.

by Anonymousreply 27601/10/2014

OP, the Lollipop bit is fantastic. (Liz the baritone) Patti Page was quite lovely.

Poor Liz in the A an C skit. I'm a gay guy and I wouldn't kiss those schlubs in a skit even once.

My sister who was partnered with a Euro actress for some years met Lizabeth around 1980 in LA. Says she was a fun and interesting woman... and yes, yes she was.

by Anonymousreply 27701/10/2014

[quote] My sister who was partnered with a Euro actress for some years met Lizabeth around 1980 in LA. Says she was a fun and interesting woman... and yes, yes she was.

Thanks! I was starting to have my doubts with this fiance talk.

by Anonymousreply 27801/10/2014

Just saw her in "Too Late For Tears" from 1949. Wow!! What a conniving, cold-booded, calculating cunt!! I loved her!!!! The men were great, too. The story line really stretched believability, but I bought into it and was rivited for the entire film. I'm gonna have my own retrospective homage. .. *runs to the kitchen to make popcorn*

by Anonymousreply 27901/10/2014

Here are two "Lux Radio Theater" broadcasts starring Liz, with the download link below:

"You Came Along" - Van Johnson, Lizabeth Scott, Don DeFore. July 1, 1946.

"I Walk Alone" with Burt Lancaster and Lizabeth Scott reprising their film roles. May 24, 1948.

During the Golden Age of film, Hollywood studios often made radio versions of their films.

by Anonymousreply 28001/10/2014

[quote]During the Golden Age of film, Hollywood studios often made radio versions of their films.

Our NPR station has a radio film every Sunday night. I've gotten acquainted with a lot of old movies that way.

by Anonymousreply 28101/10/2014

Dahlings, was there ever any doubt that I munched?

by Anonymousreply 28201/10/2014

Link below to court case where it was decided that Liz was not entitled to half Bill Dugger's fortune, as it was added by handwriting by him to a typed-written document.

Any legal opinions by the attorneys here? If the court won't accept Bill Dugger's handwritten additions, why should they even accept his signature on the same document? It's plain he left half his fortune to her.

by Anonymousreply 28301/10/2014

r281, Lux Radio Theatre on NBC and CBS from 1935-1955 recreated weekly one-hour versions of Broadway plays and movies. Lux was a toilet soap.

by Anonymousreply 28401/11/2014

r273, she lives in West Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 28501/11/2014

While I have never been a Scotty fan - too mannish...those brows!- I am intrigued by the disagreements about her orientation in this thread. The "arguments" are the same as those of today- Jackman, Kidman, Cruise, Renner, Beales/Timberlake, Toothy tile- it never changes with the bearding/bi crowd...I totally believe the Hollywood of yesterday was as much of a closety, mixed up melange of alliances and trysts as it still is today. Kinda weird that there are so many closed minds on here when it comes to the very real possibility that those mentioned as gay or bi actually were.... And fwiw...there is still hope for me becoming a big Scotty fan....this past year made me a huge fan of Babs Stanwyck thanks to TCM running so many amazing older, early 30's-early40's films of hers that I had never seen...always just thought of her as the Big Valley Dyke for so many years! Now I love her!

by Anonymousreply 28601/11/2014

[quote] During the Golden Age of film, Hollywood studios often made radio versions of their films.

And sometimes they improved on the movie, e.g. STAGE DOOR.

by Anonymousreply 28701/11/2014

r287, I admit that the radio versions were often more to the point, thus had better pacing, due to the time restraints. The same goes for television.

The "ITV Television Playhouse" version of "Stolen Face" (about 50 minutes) is superior to the 72 minute theater version, which is about 20 minutes too long. I saw the TV version as a child, not knowing who Lizabeth Scott was at the time. The movie version which I saw a few months ago feels padded out. The sequence of events also differs between the two versions. Paul Henreid, the male lead, directed Liz in an episode of the TV version of "The Third Man."

I'll post the links to radio shows as I find them.

by Anonymousreply 28801/11/2014

Lux Radio Theater audio. Click on year to find names of productions.

by Anonymousreply 28901/11/2014

Nice thread,I heard she use to fuck under age girls.

by Anonymousreply 29001/12/2014

I'm forever being mistake for R Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 29101/12/2014

Has any one here sent a photo to Miss Scott for autograph? You may recall Mr. Hollywood provided us with her address.

Curious to know if she responded to any mail sent her way.

by Anonymousreply 29201/12/2014

R283, the opinion you liked explains why.

[quote]It is equally clear that the handwritten words alone, without reference to the typewritten portions, could not be admitted to probate either as a will or as a codicil. There is not a single word of dispositive nature in the handwritten words, and such words when considered alone are not self-contained and are fragmentary, incomplete and meaningless by themselves.

He should have written out a complete sentence that he left half to Scott, instead of adding words to the typewritten portion. Although it does seem like a technicality, since his intent was clear.

by Anonymousreply 29301/12/2014

R293 its a legal matter. He did not have two witnesses either. The court ruled correctly IMO.

by Anonymousreply 29401/12/2014

Thanks r293! I found a picture of Bill Dugger yesterday, but I can't find it now. Here a pic of Scotty with Stewart Granger, who she dated in the mid-1940s.

by Anonymousreply 29501/12/2014

295 were they at the same studio?

So often the studio set these dates up. The gay stars absolutely hated them but they were obliged to comply.

by Anonymousreply 29601/12/2014

R296, I believe this photo was shot in England. Stewart made all his films there during the period he dated Scotty, who herself has family there (paternal side). She traveled to England in 1946 for Paramount, promoting "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers." Since then, she makes a yearly trip back to the UK. During the late 1960s, she and Bill Dugger went pheasant hunting up in Scotland.

by Anonymousreply 29701/12/2014

OP where are you getting the Dugger info, please? I'd be interested to read about him. Have you got a link?

by Anonymousreply 29801/12/2014

R298, start with the link below. Then you'll have to comb through the newspaper gossip columns of the 1960s and piece the bits yourself. Please post whatever you find.

Like Scotty, Dugger was somethig of an Anglophile and often traveled to the UK and was part of the social scene there. He was once married to the British model and actress Mara Lane. Here a pasta from another site:

[quote]5 August 61 - (Mara Lane) marries San Antonio oilman William Dugger in a civil ceremony in London. He’s 38; she’s 31. She says they plan to live in Rome for a year and then return to the States. she and her husband honeymoon in Portofino, Italy. Afterwards they plan to visit his wells in Texas and his ranch in Paraguay.

Dugger was of the class of '43 at the University of Texas at Austin. The circumstances of his death in 1969 are rumored to be mysterious by those who knew him personally, but so far no one is talking. See r105. I'm positive Dugger would have eventually typed up a new will that included Scotty, but the rushed longhand additions he did make indicates possible foreknowledge that his life was in danger.

by Anonymousreply 29901/12/2014

by Anonymousreply 30001/12/2014

R299. Pasta? Where? Al Dente?

by Anonymousreply 30101/12/2014

Here's a photo of William Lafayette Dugger.

by Anonymousreply 30201/12/2014

[R271]: episode of "Burke's Law" has John Saxon's unibrow, Lizabeth as an OTT cougar, and Paul Lynde acting perfectly disgracefully. Thanks for the rink!

by Anonymousreply 30301/12/2014

"there is still hope for me becoming a big Scotty fan....this past year made me a huge fan of Babs Stanwyck thanks to TCM"

Lizabeth Scott does not, cannot, will never compare to Barbara Stanwyck.

by Anonymousreply 30401/12/2014

Here's a link to the theater version of "Stolen Face." It's a Hammer sci-fi about a London surgeon who duplicates the face of an American concert pianist on a disfigured Cockney criminal. As I previously said in r288, the shorter television version is superior. These types of movies need to pace quickly, least the viewer catch on the improbabilities inherent in such stories. Scotty does a good job with the dual roles, though her Cockney voice is obviously dubbed.

The male lead, Paul Henreid, was blacklisted in Hollywood and had to work in the UK, France and West Germany in the early 1950s. Later, Alfred Hitchcock defied the blacklist and hired Henreid as a director for Hitchcock's TV series. Henreid repeated the twin theme with the 1964 "Dead Ringer," in which he directed Bette Davis, who played the dual roles.

by Anonymousreply 30501/12/2014

I've read elsewhere that LS had a coach on the set and did the Cockney accent herself. In any case, more convincingly done than Bette Davis (OF HUMAN BONDAGE) or Dietrich (WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION).

by Anonymousreply 30601/12/2014

No, she's clearly dubbed. Did Scott repeat her role for the TV version?

by Anonymousreply 30701/12/2014

One wonders if Miss Scott's voice did not help her career. And I don't know if she could have done anything about it. Hers is always the lowest voice in any scene.

In the fabulous Burke's Law episode she reminds me of Melina Mercouri.

by Anonymousreply 30801/12/2014

r308, I read that too, but the Lily Conover character (played by Mary Mackenzie) sounds like one played by Scotty--unless MacKenzie was dubbed by Scotty herself. Of course Lily should sound softer and more lady-like when she becomes the Alice Brent double.

r307, the same footage was used, but the sequence of events differs. Dr. Philip Ritter first meets Alice at the country inn, then he returns to London and meets Lily. The TV version is at least 20 minutes shorter and is more believable as the viewer isn't given any time to reflect on the holes in the story.

r308, I love Scotty's voice and wouldn't want to have it altered in the least! It's authentic and unique in an all too uniform world. In regards to Melina, you may be thinking of her performance in "Topkapi," in which she camps it up as a femme fatale.

Melina's voice was also sometimes the deepest voice in a film. But plenty of female singers have as deep or even deeper voice as the YouTube video shows.

by Anonymousreply 30901/12/2014

I like Miss Scott's voice as well - everything about it. But one wonders if it might have kept some roles from coming her way.

The comparison I made to Mercouri was meant to point out their similarities in a number of physical ways: the voice, the body type, the mouth, etc.

I could easily see Miss Scott, for instance, in Never on Sunday - but Mercouri really was perfect in the part.

by Anonymousreply 31001/12/2014

Link to six songs from Scotty's only album "The Actress Sings!" YouTube upload by Scotty superfan Barry Iddon:

"I'm in Love Again," "He's Is a Man," "Lucky," "When a Woman Loves a Man," "Willow Weep for Me" and "Can't Get Out of this Mood."

The original album has 12 songs, which I bought from Amazon last December. My favorite song, "Willow Weep for Me," happens to be on this Iddon video.

According to Rexino Mondo's biography, "The Immigrants' Daughter," Bill Dugger was so jealous when the album came out, he tried to buy up all copies. I firmly believe Dugger was the real subject of this album and I can sense how much Scotty must have loved him by listening to these songs.

I think Hal Wallis made a big mistake not letting Scotty sing in her films (though I think there's one where she does).

by Anonymousreply 31101/12/2014

I watched Pulp the other night.

What an odd film. Not good odd - just odd and wtf? I think Miss Scott and her eyebrows have in total about 6 minutes screen time. Is she over-acting or is her character meant to be OTT? All that over-exaggerated cougarism doesn't work IMO.

Michael Caine actually looks attractive in this film, running around trying not to get killed in his pretty white suit.

I'd recommend the film just to get a good look at Mickey Rooney working in 1972. I won't spoil it for you.

by Anonymousreply 31201/14/2014

Link below to “The Amazon” (21 March 1960), an episode of “Adventures in Paradise,” starring Garden McKay. Scotty plays the title character, which derives from a piece of dialog by Tom Drake,

“She is a sleek, well-groomed tigress, a man-eating shark--an Amazon! She chews men up and spits them out.”

Carla MacKinley (Scott) is a rich society girl, who hires Adam Troy's boat to race against Carla's ex-husband in a yacht contest—the complication being is that Carla's the captain. Claude Akins plays his usual bad guy role as Carla's first mate. Albert Carrier looks like a ringer for Ricardo Montalban. There's static-like noise on the first 14 minutes of the soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 31301/17/2014

Regarding r249, Burt Bacharach retells a different version of his meeting with Scotty. This was when he was married to Angie Dickinson. Since his wife (Jane Hansen) was present during the below exchange, he tactfully redacted what he previously written in his autobiography. Interesting that he compared Scotty with Diane Keaton:

[quote]Meanwhile, nestled under a heat lamp by the pool, songwriting legend Burt Bacharach held court with a circle of glamorous women (including his wife, Jane Hansen), and told us about his own favorite face in film: “There was an actress I used to love named Lizabeth Scott. Imagine being in college being hypnotized by a woman you don’t know from her movies, and you draw pictures of her. Then reel it forward 26 or 30 years later, and you’re kind of famous, you’ve had success, and you’re at a party and—holy shit, you meet her! I didn’t date her, but I had lunch with her and we had a nice time. She personified what I love about a woman, which is not too feminine but a little bit masculine. Just the strength and the coolness and the separation from the frilly woman who is always touching you and wanting something. . . . I think Diane Keaton had that kind of quality.”

by Anonymousreply 31401/17/2014

Does Miss Scott have a home in Palm Springs?

by Anonymousreply 31501/17/2014

R315, there's a Lizabeth Scott in Palm Springs, Florida. Our Lizabeth still lives in West Los Angeles last I heard.

On the IMDb forum someone confused Scotty with an Elizabeth or Lizabeth Scott who worked for the Gucci outlet in Miami during the 1970s. Below is a link to 20 other "Lizabeth Scotts." And numerous other Lizabeth Scotts have lived even before Emma Matzo decided to rename herself after Queen Elizabeth and Mary Queen of Scots.

In the old 1955 "Confidential" magazine article on Scotty, the two phone numbers published allegedly belonging to her actually belonged to a bank in Illinois and a residence in Florida. I'm now wondering if there was a Lizabeth Scott working at that bank and another woman with the same name living in Florida. Even now there are several people with that name in Illinois and Florida.

Thanks for your post, r315.

by Anonymousreply 31601/17/2014

I always loved her, and I never understood people comparing her to Bacall. She got stuck in sort of a film noir/B movie niche. It's bad in a way and then in another way the noir stuff has given her quite a following among those who like the classic film genre.

A friend of mine used to see her at a coffee shop in Hollywood even as recently as a few years ago. She always had her hair in a ponytail.

by Anonymousreply 31701/17/2014

[R311] There's one film she did -- The Racket, I think -- that seemed like a big showcase for her singing. Actually it interferes with the story, one or two songs too many. She was fine, but it was just too much.

by Anonymousreply 31801/18/2014

[quote]I always loved her, and I never understood people comparing her to Bacall.

She's compared to Bacall for good reason, She was Paramount's answer to Bacall. That was very common back then. Her sultry look, her low voice (in response to those posters who thought it was a hindrance!) were all an attempt to make another Bacall. And it worked -- she became a star.

by Anonymousreply 31901/18/2014

r317 and r319, I believe the female of the species stopped evolving when Scotty was born!

by Anonymousreply 32001/18/2014

Pasta from another website on Scotty's "Lux Radio Theatre" performances:

"You Came Along" (7 January 1946)

"The Perfect Marriage" (12 April 1948)

"I Walk Alone" (24 May 1948)

"Pitfall" (8 November 1948)

"Saigon" (5 September 1949)

"California" (30 January 1950)

Link below to "Saigon," based on the Alan Ladd film. This story resembles Scotty's earlier "You Came Along," which was also about a dying soldier who falls in love with the female lead. John Lund plays the Ladd role.

by Anonymousreply 32101/19/2014

Here's a link to a complete list of "Lux Radio Theatre" shows. Those who have "run out" of Film Noires to watch might have a listen. And Lux is only a fraction of what's out there. Scotty was on other shows as well. See r247. I also forgot to thank r289 for the Lux link.

by Anonymousreply 32201/19/2014

Here's a link to Lux's "The Perfect Marriage" Scotty plays the Loretta Young role in the film version. Ray Milland plays the David Niven role.

The website has many (but not all) of the Lux shows from the 1930s to the mid-50s.

by Anonymousreply 32301/20/2014

Here's a link to Lux's "Pitfall," with the actors of the film version reprising their roles. I can't find "California" with Ray Milland, but will post it here if I do. Otherwise, all of Scotty's other Lux performances are posted on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 32401/20/2014

Hey Lizabeth, did you and Jane(Greer)flirted each other during 'The Company She Keeps'? Did you get along...?

by Anonymousreply 32501/20/2014

*did you flirt each other, baby?

by Anonymousreply 32601/20/2014

Lizabeth is more beautiful than Jane.

OP, please send us a message here from Miss Scott. We do very much appreciate her.

by Anonymousreply 32701/21/2014

r327, another poster and I sent some fan mail last winter. Scotty must get hundreds of letters, judging from the hundreds of other websites besides this one--so she knows she has plenty of fans, both old and new.

I saw the RKO film with Jane Greer, who was hounded by the studio owner (but that's another story). Scotty used to host a Catholic radio program called "Family Theater," whose motto was something to the effect of "The family that prays together stays together." "The Company She Keeps" is in that mold, with Scotty playing an out-of-type altruist. In an interview, she said was tired of playing femme fatales and wanted to do something new.

Of course, Scotty's old enemy, Bosley Crowther, panned it in the "New York Times." But whatever flaws this film has (and it has some), the character Scotty plays exhibits characteristics of the real woman, I believe. See Burt Bacharach's comment at r314.

I'm the exact opposite of Scotty in religion, philosophy and politics, yet I can see she really is a role model for the rest of us!

by Anonymousreply 32801/21/2014

Do you receive a response, OP?

by Anonymousreply 32901/21/2014

R329, I'm only an unknown fan who sent a letter without a photo or return envelope like thousands of others. One wouldn't expect a response, though there was one blogger last year who mailed Scotty an "organic" chocolate bar and expected a personal interview in return! LOL.

Please everyone don't make a pest of oneself.

by Anonymousreply 33001/21/2014

Capucine was another lesbian Catholic in Old Hollywood.

Like Lizabeth she was linked to men because she knew she couldn't get anywhere if she revealed her true self. And really there was no way in for any woman - gay or straight - unless she was linked in some manner to an important man.

Capucine did even better than miss Scott in that she rode the arms of Charles Feldman, the biggest agent of the time, and William Holden, certainly one of the top male stars of his time.

But Capucine does not have the resume Miss Scott does - primarily because Cap missed living in Europe and could no longer play the game.

Capucine's Catholicism, however, was an important aspect of her life right up until the end.

by Anonymousreply 33101/21/2014

According to Capucine's psychiatrist and friends, a prime reason she killed herself was that William Holden refused to divorce his wife and marry Capucine. And according to Audrey Hepburn, Cappy's best friend, Cappy was very much in love with Holden and was upset when they broke up. After Holden's death, she had nothing to live for. See the Hepburn bio by Paris. I discount the stories about Cappy being either a lesbian or transgendered, let alone using Holden as a merkin or tool to advance her career. Much of the mythology about Cappy comes from a long discredited book, “Hollywood Lesbians” by Boze Hadleigh. Other bios like the one on John Wayne treats Hadleigh as gospel. I think Hadleigh makes up stuff like Darwin Porter and too many other Hollywood “biographers.” Diana McLellan's “The Girls: Sappho Goes to Hollywood” is a much better book, but she trusts sources like “Confidential” magazine and gives credence to the usual Hadleigh-like rumors as fact. Little wonder that Scotty refused to cooperate with McLellan.

As to comparing Cappy with Scotty, I can think of no two actresses more unlike, Catholic or not. The key root word to understand the difference would be “dependent.” Scotty is independent, Cappy codependent. And this does not refer to Cappy's need for external help for her psychological problems, but her worldview of reality. There's a big difference on what Catholicism that means to neo-libertarian with an Anglo-American worldview and someone raised in a socialist country like France with its postmodern European worldview. The former may even regard the latter as being almost agnostic. France has a higher suicide rate than the US or UK, despite France being a predominately Catholic country.

Americans and to a lesser extent the British are seen as individualistic in the sense they are “complete.” And in Scotty's case this is to a way above average degree, even for an American. Continental Europeans and Asians generally need to be completed by someone or something in their respective cultures, which limits the range of possible action. I'm not saying one or the other is better, but there's a profound difference between Scotty and Cappy. The only thing they really have in common is their heterosexuality, IMO. Everyone's welcome to disagree. But it is interesting to compare the two.

by Anonymousreply 33201/21/2014

OP, I knew Capucine the last 20 years of her life - Audrey as well. It would have been difficult to know one well without knowing the other.

Your statements are inaccurate regarding both. I won't go into detail about either woman here. But I will say that Capucine preferred the company of women. Every one in her private life knew this. It was not a secret.

Its a pity that even in death she is portrayed as someone she was not. In truth she was a lovely individual, a woman who preferred the company of other women, probably the most beautiful woman I have seen in my life, and not the greatest actress... through no fault of her own.

by Anonymousreply 33301/22/2014

r333, thanks for your thoughts, though I was really making generalizations about American and European women (with plenty of exceptions that "disprove the rule"). That some men and women prefer the company of their own gender doesn't necessarily indicate sexual proclivity. Or anything else. But Capucine's suicide would indicate that female-bonding was not enough.

That overused phrase, "Clash of Civilizations," really does apply to Capucine and William Holden. She really needed someone like him to complete her life, but it didn't work other way around. William Holden, despite his many issues, did not suffer the existential problem of not being whole. If people like Holden or Scotty had no one else in their life, they would still be complete entities. It was the unnecessary additions to their lives that create problems.

Perhaps you could go into further detail about the religious life of Cappy and Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 33401/22/2014

Yes we need to know with which famous women Lizabeth got it on...spill all the dirt!

by Anonymousreply 33501/22/2014

[quote]That some men and women prefer the company of their own gender doesn't necessarily indicate sexual proclivity. Or anything else.

Oh for Gods sake.

by Anonymousreply 33601/22/2014

Did Barbara and Capucine....?

by Anonymousreply 33701/22/2014

I think I'll start a thread about how Montgomery Clift really liked women better than men and fell into drug addiction because he was so distraught that Elizabeth Taylor married Richard Burton and not him.

How do you think the DL gays will react?

by Anonymousreply 33901/25/2014

I'm just learned that Miss Scott prefers that her address not be published on the internet. Apparently she was last signing photos in 2012. She's 91 years old now. Apologies for posts r233 and r248 and I hope that any fanmail did not inconvenience her.

Perhaps the webmaster could delete r233 and r248.

by Anonymousreply 34001/25/2014

Yes, I would imagine, OP, Miss Scott would like you to ensure this entire thread disappears for good - not just her address.

R337 no

R339 I am a gay man, but yes, you make a good point.

Its quite obvious OP has never in her life crossed paths with Capucine or any one who was close to her.

Audrey didn't have a problem with Cap's sexual orientation. She never stated anything OP claims re Capucine. Its almost laughable.

OP, you assert that Capucine was not a whole person. How dare you. You know nothing of who she was.

You're a common, unknowing troll - or perhaps even worse - a troll who comes here to attempt to rewrite history and deny gay individuals our dignity, even in death. Shame on you.

by Anonymousreply 34101/25/2014

[quote]Audrey didn't have a problem with Cap's sexual orientation.

100% false. I know.

by Anonymousreply 34201/25/2014

You know nothing.

by Anonymousreply 34301/25/2014

[quote]You're a common, unknowing troll - or perhaps even worse - a troll who comes here to attempt to rewrite history and deny gay individuals our dignity, even in death. Shame on you.

by Anonymousreply 34401/25/2014

R344 I think you mean "MARIE !"

by Anonymousreply 34501/25/2014

OMG, I don't believe this!! I just watched some Noir movie with Lisbeth Scott!!! I love her! She played an evil, scheming murderess. Dan Duryea was in it too. He played a sleazeball who was too stupid to realize she was using him Until she would murder him. Such a movie!

by Anonymousreply 34601/25/2014

R333, Capucine was incredibly beautiful. I read something written by someone who knew her well ( a celeb and I can't remember who it was) who said she was bipolar and had slipped into deep depression when she committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 34701/25/2014

R346, that was Too Late for Tears you just saw. It's been referenced a couple of times in this thread. The movie was recently restored and will be playing a Noir Festival at the Castro Theater in SF very soon.

by Anonymousreply 34801/25/2014

She is as straight as you are, r349.

by Anonymousreply 35001/25/2014

A noir discussion board has a thread on this weekend's screening of Too Late for Tears at SF's Castro Theater as part of the annual Noir City Fest. Sold out.

by Anonymousreply 35101/27/2014

There's a funny story about Capucine that also features Jackie Kennedy --

One day, Jackie ran into her publishing office and practically did a little dance. "I just saw Capucine!" she trilled in a big fan gurl voice.

by Anonymousreply 35304/21/2014

Any 2014 pics of Lizabeth around? The most recent ones show a tightface that went back to the plastic surgeon one too many times.

by Anonymousreply 35406/17/2014

Last I heard, she still takes daily hikes around her Hollywood Hills neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 35506/18/2014

This is the most recent pic, R354.

by Anonymousreply 35606/18/2014

Died January 31. R.I.P. Scotty.

by Anonymousreply 35702/06/2015

She comes across as so mealy-mouthed and kittenish in some of her roles, I find it hard to believe that she was considered a threat to Lauren Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 35802/06/2015

A Star in 22 feature films.

by Anonymousreply 35902/08/2015

TCM had Too Late for Tears on the other night. I am now a big fan! And she's from Scranton like Johnny Mac from Big Brother! I shouldn't have put both their names in the same sentence right?

by Anonymousreply 36007/19/2015

Tonight I heard her on our local NPR station. They have old-time radio on Sunday night. Lizabeth Scott was a guest on the Martin & Lewis Show.

by Anonymousreply 36107/19/2015

So she was dead for a week before they found her?? Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 36207/19/2015

She was great in Too Late for Tears. I'd never seen her in anything before. What a great femme fatale!

by Anonymousreply 36307/19/2015

Her obit said she died at Cedar Sinai Hospital, r362

by Anonymousreply 36407/20/2015

Her real name was Emma Matzo.

I recently saw her on TCM in "Pitfall" opposite Dick Powell and Jane Wyatt. Surprisingly well-done noir.

by Anonymousreply 36507/20/2015

R364, it also said she died on "Jan. 31". Her death wasn't announced until "Feb 6", That's seven days.

With no family, people can be lost even in hospitals.

by Anonymousreply 36607/20/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!