Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sleepy Hollow

Anyone watching?

Only ten minutes in and my favorite character so far is dead. Dammit.

But it was effectively creepy.

by Anonymousreply 32802/10/2015

Is it too scary for kids?

by Anonymousreply 109/16/2013

I dunno. It's sorta creepy, with a few mildly scary moments.

Second death only half an hour in... and it was yet another interesting character.

I don't like how they're killing all the INTERESTING people and good actors :-/

But it's pretty good so far, I have to admit.

by Anonymousreply 209/16/2013

The male lead looks like Drew Fuller in the ads.

by Anonymousreply 309/16/2013

R3 = link-posting FAIL.

by Anonymousreply 409/16/2013

Okay, aside the one highly contrived plot point there near the end (sunrise)... I loved it.

This is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 509/16/2013

Okay, yet another interesting character was killed off right at the end! That's THREE interesting characters in the first episode!

by Anonymousreply 609/16/2013

It won't last very long.

And why in the fuck must yet another American television character have an absurd, affected British accent?

Not everyone in early America sounded like a fucking Brit television tabloid reporter. Seriously, enough already.

by Anonymousreply 709/16/2013

Why are you here? Go away.

by Anonymousreply 809/16/2013

Loved it!

Finally Monday night TV to look forward since "Buffy the Vampire Slayer".

by Anonymousreply 909/16/2013

R7, did you miss the point where he was British, and came over and defected to work as a spy on the British for George Washington?

by Anonymousreply 1009/16/2013

I thought it was a decent premiere. There is nothing else interesting to watch on Monday night so I will give it a try for a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 1109/16/2013

Liking it a lot so far.

by Anonymousreply 1209/16/2013

Pretty damn good pilot. I'm in for a season pass. Seemed a little silly at first, but great pacing and chemistry between the leads. Reminds me of early X-Files.

by Anonymousreply 1409/16/2013

Loved it!

by Anonymousreply 1509/16/2013

Looks good to me too. But it made me wonder when Grimm is coming back on.

by Anonymousreply 1609/16/2013

I liked it! The guy is hot, the girl detective is cute and I hope they continue to kill copious guest stars every week.

Line of the night: "Can he hear us?"

by Anonymousreply 1709/16/2013

It was creepy and completely not expecting that they tied the Apocalypse to this.

Will totally tune in for next week.

by Anonymousreply 1809/16/2013

I liked it - the two leads are good, and I like their chemistry so far. I don't know which direction the show is going to take or if the overall season arc is going to be compelling or just a bunch of overwrought mythology / mish-mash, but if it can continue to build up a good relationship between Crane and Abby I'll continue to tune in.

I did think the mirror demon was legitimately creepy, especially being blurred out - one of the few instances where the show understood less is more (the other effects, including the machine-gun toting headless horseman and chain-throwing priest, were just silly)

by Anonymousreply 1909/17/2013

Much better than I expected. I liked the humorous touches ("Put your hands on your..." "Can he hear us?")

But I'm worried it might become the next "The Following" and pile up on my DVR until I have to delete it.

by Anonymousreply 2009/17/2013

The Headless Horseman! Finally someone who has a legitimate reason for not knowing Jack McFarland is gay!

by Anonymousreply 2109/17/2013

I loved it. Sorry about the first character that got killed; I like him as an actor.

I like how Abbie found the sheriff's files and she found out that he believed her about that mysterious day in the woods with her sister.

Next week's episode looks good, too. Just hoping the damned baseball playoffs don't fuck up the viewing schedule for this show.

I stopped watching The Good Wife and TAR because of football overruns. For some reason, CBS believes that the US cannot EXIST without the full sixty minutes of 60 Minutes.

by Anonymousreply 2209/17/2013

Yep R22. Those ridiculous, award winning, once genius, investigative NEWS shows. How dare them interrupt your "Good Wife" and such. I mean, don't they know you gals have limited time and need to move on to your Dancing with the Stars and the Kardashians?

Yeah. CBS must be full of poorly educated fools to think a few people in the country might actually want to see something still, though mildly intelligent.

Run along now. Your soaps will be starting soon and you've got that entire sack of Cheetos from Costco to get to.

by Anonymousreply 2309/17/2013

R23 is a sabre-toothed gash-eating cunt of the highest magnitude. If you listen closely, you can hear her nibbling on her own toe jam and cackling softly at her perceived superiority. No one will cry when she gets bashed to death in a parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 2409/17/2013

R24 is the same frau/fatty gaga fangurl gushing over the show and losing her friggen mind over missing out on frau TV shows for that 'icky' 60 Minutes.

Be gone cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2509/17/2013

Enough, girls. You're both ugly.

Now, back to discussing this show...

I hope they don't kill ALL the interesting characters and awesome actors off...

by Anonymousreply 2709/17/2013

It's the best new show I've watched!

It's also the only new show I've watched.

by Anonymousreply 2809/17/2013

I love "fish out of water" scenarios, and I wish they'd show more of Icky's reactions to how much things have changed in 250 years. I can't wait until he finds out about gay weddings!

by Anonymousreply 2909/17/2013

R23, Sweetie? This in 2013. There are at LEAST 5 24-hour news programs on cable. 60 Minutes could easily be moved to one of those.

Wait. Don't tell me. You're one of the extra special elitists who doesn't OWN a television, right? You do the NYT crossword puzzle in ink every Sunday whilst wearing a smoking jacket.

by Anonymousreply 3009/17/2013

Loved it.

Totally surprised me.

Love the two leads.

Buffy-esque humor.

by Anonymousreply 3109/17/2013

Why do football overruns stop people from watching CBS shows? Granted, I'm in the Pacific time zone so it's not an issue, but don't they just shift everything up to accommodate the overrun and show all of the shows anyway? Can you not stay up past 10PM or something?

I'm curious to see what happens THIS Sunday as CBS is televising the Emmys live in all time zones. It's scheduled to start at 5PM PDT, but I noticed that there's a football game that immediately precedes it, so maybe I'll feel your pain, easterners.

by Anonymousreply 3209/17/2013

Will Kal Penn be making a cameo to support John Cho?

by Anonymousreply 3309/17/2013

R32, because we aren't watching live TV. I dvr my shows and when I try to watch The Amazing Race and it starts at the 42 min mark of the hour I can't go back in time and record The Good Wife after.

by Anonymousreply 3409/17/2013

R34 Oh, OK. I have a manual DVR (i.e., not one from the cable or satellite company) and I just set it for a time period as opposed to a program. Can you do that with yours and thereby adjust it to record for a longer period to accommodate any potential time changes?

by Anonymousreply 3509/17/2013

Don;t any of you have On Demand Prime Time. I watched Sleepy Hollow today.

by Anonymousreply 3609/17/2013

R35, My dvr is through Directv and you have to set it by program. I could always set it to record The Good Wife too I suppose, but it just seems a hassle to clog up the dvr that way if I get behind a few weeks.

It seems like there is overrun 80% of the time, so why don't they schedule accordingly. Instead of pretending like the games will ever end "on time," just admit that it always runs 30 minutes longer. If need be have a 30 minute comedy rerun ready to play until the next hour starts and begin the line up an hour later.

by Anonymousreply 3709/17/2013

The pilot was filmed in my hometown, Salisbury, NC but the rest will be filmed in Wilmington, NC. I enjoyed seeing familiar downtown scenes! Love this show!

by Anonymousreply 3809/17/2013

Just watched it and thought it was awesome. Agree that it's a nice throwback to "The X-Files."

by Anonymousreply 3909/17/2013

Need to see more of that hot red head wife who turned out to be a witch!

What do I like more than red heads? Witches!

This show was OK, not good, and not a boring abombination, but after a few episodes I'll see if its worth continuing to watch.

by Anonymousreply 4009/18/2013

R32, depending upon how long the football games runs, it could end at 7:30 PM. That means 60 Minutes comes on around 7:45 (it appears to be illegal to start at 7:32 or maybe the affiliates need time to get their shit together). Anyway, that means TAR comes on at 8:45 PM, The Good Wife at 9:45 PM and The Mentalist, if they even show it, at 10:45.

I've been trying to get in bed by 10 PM as I get up at 6 AM and Sunday is a bad day to start with late nights. It messes up the rest of my week. Yes, I am old (51 yoa).

As for Free On Demand, yes I have it but I read DL everyday and have a hard time staying away from the threads.

by Anonymousreply 4109/18/2013

The only problem with shows like this is that, if they're successful, they're guaranteed to suck... because they can never resolve the central issue/problem. You can't kill the headless horseman, because once you do, the show is over. So they have to keep coming up with more elaborate and credibility-stretching reasons he keeps getting away, dragging things out farther and farther.

And after a little while, the 'fish out of water' thing is going to disappear too. I mean, after a few years in the present, he'll be pretty well acclimated.

Shows like this can start strong, but almost always get weaker and lamer over time.

by Anonymousreply 4309/18/2013

They show the Tappan Zee Bridge in Tarrytown, south of Sleepy Hollow, New York,

by Anonymousreply 4409/18/2013

Now, the Tappan Zee Bridge is REALLY scary.

by Anonymousreply 4509/18/2013

R43, they made a point of saying this was the first of the four horsemen, so they could easily kill one every season or two and have another replace it. Also, it's from the creators of Fringe, so the dead people could always return in another form/timeline/dream or whatever...

by Anonymousreply 4609/18/2013

I liked the premiere of this show. But then I liked the premiere of "Under the Dome". Here's hoping THIS show doesn't go to crap like that one did.

by Anonymousreply 4709/19/2013

Yes, having a logical ending is so, so important!

by Anonymousreply 4809/19/2013

This show sucked. It will definitely be cancelled. What are they going to do, chase the headless man for 4 seasons?

by Anonymousreply 4909/20/2013

R49 is sad that "Big Brother" is over.

by Anonymousreply 5009/20/2013

I enjoyed it. I'm an American history buff so I really got into it. I can't see it being a long running program, but it seems to be a fun ride. I'll stick around.

by Anonymousreply 5109/20/2013

I can see a great season-long arc for the show. I can even imagine stretching it to two seasons. Beyond that, I'm a bit worried.

They'll have to introduce a lot of 'filler' monster-of-the-week episodes or something, and that could be done well (XFiles) or tediously.

by Anonymousreply 5209/20/2013

Loved the show.

Loved the actors.

Loved pretty much everything.

It's like X Files, Buffy, and Grimm all rolled into one big burrito.

I can't see it lasting more than 2-4 years, though.

by Anonymousreply 5309/20/2013

I appreciate that the characters don't have "Scully Disease".

That's where someone see things happening in front of their face over and over and denies the reality of a situation.

Ichabod gets it, the lady cop gets it...even the cops who shot at the headless horseman get it. the fun is how they deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 5409/21/2013

John Noble (Walter Bishop from Fringe) will be joining Sleepy Hollow later this season.

by Anonymousreply 5509/21/2013

[quote] Now, the Tappan Zee Bridge is REALLY scary.

I refuse to go over that decrepit bridge. Someday that entire thing is going down into the Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 5609/21/2013

I am LOVING the second episode so far. The first ten minutes in particular were awesome.

by Anonymousreply 5709/23/2013

I think the second episode was better than the first, and I loved the first one.

I'm really enjoying this show too.

by Anonymousreply 5809/24/2013

[quote] But it made me wonder when Grimm is coming back on.

GRIMM returns for season 3 on Friday, October 25th at 9PM.

by Anonymousreply 5909/24/2013

[quote] My dvr is through Directv and you have to set it by program.

Not true. ALL DVRs are able to be set manually, by date and time. you just have to actually read the instructions that came with it on how to do it.

by Anonymousreply 6009/24/2013

The show's like a straight version of Supernatural.

by Anonymousreply 6109/24/2013

"The only problem with shows like this is that, if they're successful, they're guaranteed to suck... because they can never resolve the central issue/problem."

Agreed. I loved the first season of "Once Upon a Time," and the whole thing about the flashbacks to their world and what is happening now, and the mystery of how the Curse worked, if anyone would get their memories back and the whole Emma vs. Regina thing. I also liked how the villains had to work their skullduggery using real world rules.

So after the first season they broke the curse, everyone has their memories AND they brought magic to a world we were told was magic-less, and its sucked. It sucked so bad they are now trying to move everything to Neverland!

by Anonymousreply 6209/24/2013

[quote] Not true. ALL DVRs are able to be set manually, by date and time. you just have to actually read the instructions that came with it on how to do it.

That's not true. I had a DVR through Time Warner and it didn't offer this feature. (It used to and then it disappeared during a system "upgrade" a few years ago.) Just another reason I'm glad I switched to RCN.

by Anonymousreply 6309/24/2013

The scene with the post-it notes was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 6409/24/2013

In my day, Ichabod Crane looked like this.

by Anonymousreply 6509/24/2013

The ratings are starting to collapse.

It will be gone by Christmas/New Year.

by Anonymousreply 6609/24/2013

Why would the ratings collapse? The premiere episode was great, and the second episode was even better...

by Anonymousreply 6709/24/2013

Collapse? Hardly. It dipped to a 3.1 which is actually a fantastic hold for a new show up against big competition.

It beat the premiere of 2 Broke Girls and played well against The Voice.

Nice try R66!

by Anonymousreply 6809/24/2013

What R68 said.

Also, I am loving this show. The second episode was a nice retention of quality after the entertaining pilot. And the lead is beautiful, and a really good actor. I love his comic timing.

by Anonymousreply 6909/24/2013

R65, that's how Ichabod Crane is described by Washington Irving. He is tall and exceedingly thin with a ravenous appetite. He spends a week with every family in the town instead of renting his own place and he nearly eats them out of house and home. He is ingratiating, awkward, penurious and very superstitious.

"His head was small, and flat at top, with huge ears, large green glassy eyes, and a long snipe nose, so that it looked like a weather-cock perched upon his spindle neck to tell which way the wind blew.. his clothes bagging and fluttering about him, one might have mistaken him for the genius of famine descending upon the earth, or some scarecrow eloped from a cornfield."

by Anonymousreply 7009/24/2013

Loved the second show. Loved the dead Asian cop waking up.

Loved that he is a smart ass....or would it be...a pain in the neck?

by Anonymousreply 7109/24/2013

I liked the yellow sticky montage scene and Ichabod's outrage at the 10% sales tax. The problem is you can't build an entire show just around the fish out of water bits.

The rest of the episode was somewhat of a mess. Andy came back to 'life', we were introduced to Abby's ex-boyfriend and sister (doing her best Sarah Connor impersonation), and Abby's mentor is back as a ghost. And will we get a weekly dream sequence with Ichabod's wife Katrina?

All in all it was kind of hard to get too invested in the evil-of-the-week part of the show.

The pilot was promising and there's potential -- especially the two leads who are quite good -- so I'm willing to give the show time to find its legs.

by Anonymousreply 7209/25/2013

I liked it...some of the effects are cheap but overall the storyline and creepy factor are a solid A. I like the history and haunts aspect of it.

The scene where he freaked out about the taxes was funny. "We must do something about this."

I kind of liked the scene when he told off the marine. It would be kind of fun if Ichabod bumped into some Tea Partiers and he corrected all their historical beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 7309/25/2013

I really like Abby. She and Crane do have some nice chemistry.

And I'm glad that Grimm will be back at the end of the month.

by Anonymousreply 7409/25/2013

Great chemistry between the leads...I think the sister will bring some ninja skills to the mix.

by Anonymousreply 7509/25/2013

I like everything but the TWO count em TWO exposition spouting dead characters. I love that sheriff and I'm glad he's back, but I wish it wasn't as almost a voice over character.

It looks like the Katrina character is going to wind up a damsel in distress so that's better than a know it all character who just shows up to explain everything.

by Anonymousreply 7609/26/2013

Anyone know if the adorable and talented Tom Mison is gay?

by Anonymousreply 7709/26/2013

FOX's week was propelled by strong premieres of SLEEPY HOLLOW, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE, DADS and the return of BONES, NEW GIRL and THE MINDY PROJECT.

On Monday, the debut of SLEEPY HOLLOW (3.5/9) dominated its time period and grew +133% from last year's premiere of "Mob Doctor" in the time period among Adults 18-49 (9/17/12, 1.5/4). SLEEPY HOLLOW was FOX's highest-rated Fall drama premiere in seven years (since 9/5/06) and was the highest-rated drama premiere on any broadcast network in one year (since Revolution on 9/17/12 with "The Voice" lead-in, 4.1/11; it also beat "Under The Dome," 3.3/9 on 6/24/13). In L + 3 day, SLEEPY HOLLOW (5.0/13) is FOX's highest-rated Fall drama premiere among Adults 18-49 in 12 years (since '24', 5.4/13 on 11/6/01). Its +1.5 rating gain in L+3 over L+SD surpassed any new series premiere last season (high was Revolution with a +1.4 rating gain).

by Anonymousreply 7809/27/2013

Excellent news! Hope it can maintain strong numbers... so far it's definitely my favorite new show.

by Anonymousreply 7909/27/2013

Yay! Glad people like it, it's a great show.

by Anonymousreply 8009/27/2013

The new show from 20th Century Fox Television, inspired by the tale of Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horsemen, averaged a 3.5 same-night rating in the adults 18-49 demo to become the net’s biggest fall drama premiere since “Standoff” in 2006. Its premiere then added a big 1.5 ratings points (or 43%) to its total thanks to DVR playback done on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

The 5.0 rating puts “Sleepy Hollow” comfortably above the 4.3 achieved earlier this year in Live+3 by both Fox’s ”The Following” (from a 3.2 for its same-night rating in January) and CBS’ “Under the Dome” (rising from its premiere same-night score of 3.3 in June).

Two seasons ago, Fox’s top new new dramas in L3 were “Terra Nova” (4.1) and “Alcatraz” (4.0).

“Sleepy Hollow” will face tougher competition for eyeballs on Monday nights starting tomorrow with the premieres of NBC’s “The Voice” and CBS’ comedies.

by Anonymousreply 8109/27/2013

Loved episode three. The show is moving on in brisk pace, which is great. It was surprisingly exciting to have our British sex pot meet the cop's sister in the mental hospital.

I wonder if at some point the apocalypse will happen and the show will change to life after that? I like that the show at the moment has the feeling that the apocalypse WILL happen.

by Anonymousreply 8210/01/2013

This show is surprisingly good. I'm not generally a fan of the reworked fairy tale genre, but the leads are so well written and acted, and the show moves along so quickly, my interest hasn't faltered through three episodes.

What's the deal with Tom Mison? He's stunning and an excellent actor, but I'd never even heard of him before this show.

by Anonymousreply 8310/01/2013

This week's episode write-up is rather lengthy, but quite entertaining...

[bold]Sleepy Hollow Is a Shirtless Nightmare This Week[/bold]

Sleepy Hollow has been on a two-week speed date with the Headless Horseman, Sheriff Abbie Mills, resurrectee Ichabod Crane, his remarkably sturdy coat, witches, and George Washington's New International Expository Bible. This week, it delivered a brisk dream-horror episode that managed to get everybody's shirts off.

by Anonymousreply 8410/01/2013

R83, Mison has at least shown a bit of his body earlier in his career.

For some reason the link opens quite slowly, but it will open.

by Anonymousreply 8510/01/2013

I'm not usually a fan of sci-fi or fantasy (except for The Twilight Zone) but this show has drawn me in. The only thing I don't like is that they don't play up the "fish out of water" scenario enough. Icky never challenges or questions a lot of the things he sees and hears and seems to understand terminology that would definitely not be familiar to someone who lived in the 18th century.

by Anonymousreply 8610/01/2013

R86, I think it would get old pretty quickly if he'd be baffled by everything. To me what's been shown has been believable enough.

by Anonymousreply 8710/02/2013

I'm sort of sorry they have the "library of mystical information" thing going on.

We saw that in Buffy and in Grimm (the mobile home)...I wish they could tap into another way our heroes research their enemies.

by Anonymousreply 8810/02/2013

It would get old after a while, and you can't string that shtick out indefinitely, but there have been several missed opportunities, imho.

by Anonymousreply 8910/02/2013

R86, I sort of like the way downplayed Icky's responses to the 21st c, like showing him poking at the fluorescent lights without making a big deal of it. I also think they've established that he is familiar with, though not inured to, supernatural phenomena, and in some ways our modern conventions would be similarly odd to him. I really enjoy his unflappability as a character trait.

by Anonymousreply 9010/02/2013

Well made points, R91- and good dialogue. Maybe you should angle for a writing job on the show.

They did show his befuddlement at the tarmac and cars whizzing by in the pilot, when he first emerged from the cave and stumbled onto the road. But I agree it would be good to punctuate his rapid acclimatization with a bit more witty exposition.

In other matters, have we discussed the show's tongue in cheek music selections yet? A bit obvious (e.g., Sinatra's "Witchcraft") but I enjoy the humor.

by Anonymousreply 9210/02/2013

This seems to be the only new show that a majority of DL'ers think is worth watching and a bona fide hit. And deservedly so. If Mison had blonde hair he would be a dead ringer for my ex and the love of my life. Reason enough to watch but the show is really engaging and fun. And I love Abbie. So cute.

by Anonymousreply 9310/02/2013

My only critique is that, after a while (like a few days) wouldn't somebody have suggested he update his wardrobe to something more modern. Not that he doesn't look great in his get-up, but he'd find it easier to fit in if he dressed more like the locals.

by Anonymousreply 9410/02/2013

Abbie is adorable and the sister is going to kick someone's ass.

The one thing I have an issue with is the way Crane is a part of every police investigation. I mean - really? And nobody tells him not to hang around the police station or cross the crime scene tape. IRL no cop is going to let a civilian (especially a strange ranger like Crane) enter a crime scene or run up on a hostage negotiation.

So that sort of needs to be explained, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 9510/02/2013

Suspension of disbelief, R95. As someone mentioned upthread, Crane's 18th century clothes are no worse the wear after his 250 year interment, and he doesn't appear to have spare outfit. Don't look too closely for realism.

by Anonymousreply 9610/02/2013

R95... I think the captain is a "good witch". At least he believes enough that something weird is going on.

But earlier in the episodes, they said that Sleepy Hollow has ovens of good and bad witches.

by Anonymousreply 9710/02/2013

I really like this show. At first I thought it's a bit silly but fun, but now, after a couple of episodes I love it. Two leads have great chemistry as someone already said. Tom Mison is a great actor and he's gorgeous. They said there will be seven years of tribulations before the apocalypse so I guess TPTB are planning 7 seasons. We'll see. Hopefully they'll have a couple of good years.

by Anonymousreply 9810/02/2013

Crane is the Castle of Sleepy Hollow and Abbie is Beckett, r95:)

by Anonymousreply 9910/02/2013

Sleepy Hollow has been renewed!

Fox is only doing 13 episode seasons, though.

by Anonymousreply 10010/03/2013

Fox is following the cable model with 13 episodes. That means better written episodes and no filler material. So happy the show has gotten a 2nd season. The ONLY NEW SHOW that has been renewed so far!!!

by Anonymousreply 10110/03/2013

Excellent news!

by Anonymousreply 10210/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 10310/03/2013

So are they only doing 13 episodes this year too, or is the second season order for just 13 episodes so far, but this season will be a standard 22?

by Anonymousreply 10410/03/2013

Nevermind. Stopped being lazy and looked it up. 13 episode seasons this year and next.

by Anonymousreply 10510/03/2013

Interview with Tom Mison in which he reveals:

He's barely had time to date.

He lived with one of the actors on Homeland for four years.

The fangurls are sending him lots of artwork. And I have to add that he better get used to that. He could turn into the new Norman Reedus.

by Anonymousreply 10610/04/2013

I. Love. This. Show.

by Anonymousreply 10710/07/2013

My fall shows:

The Blacklist

Person of Interest

Sleepy Hollow

Yes, they're kind of lowest-common denominator dramas, but they're fun to watch when I need to decompress after work.

by Anonymousreply 10810/07/2013

Mison and Rupert Friend were roommates. How lucky were their neighbors?

by Anonymousreply 10910/07/2013

There's really nothing low, or common about Person Of Interest or the new show The Blacklist, actually.

Sleepy Hollow's world is expanding considerably so it's exciting as well.

by Anonymousreply 11010/07/2013

Sleepy Hollow is no great shakes but it is better than most of the crap that is on TV these days.

by Anonymousreply 11110/08/2013

Mison's fantastic in the role. I watch it every week just for him really. I hope this brings him more offers. Anyone know if he and Carey Mulligan broke up after 3 years because of Shia Labouf. I read one old article where Mulligan mentions she was trying to persuade her then boyfriend Mison to move to America with her but he was cool to the idea. This is way back. But its ironic now that he's now working in the US and she's married and living in the west country with her Mumford and son singer.

Anyway Mison is gorgeous and seems lovely in his interviews. A very dry wit though.

by Anonymousreply 11210/08/2013

So far this is not just my favorite new show, it's pretty much my favorite show.

by Anonymousreply 11310/08/2013

Is everyone just gonna ignore that the numbers for this show are falling?

Slowly, but still dropping.

It feels like it could go all to hell at any moment, and I have to wonder if they can keep it going beyond a few seasons.

I'm still watching, though.

by Anonymousreply 11410/08/2013

Why are wigging out, R114? It has a 2nd season and that's all that matters. What also counts is them winning the 18-49 demo and the show is clearly doing that!

by Anonymousreply 11510/08/2013

Nickolas Gonzalez is on the show!

by Anonymousreply 11610/09/2013

Just tried the show. I am very happily surprised at how good is-- writing, acting, direction, set design, special effects. Love Beharie and Mison--both beautiful, both excellent actors. I appreciate the diverse cast-- it works. Also glad to see that Brother Justin sticks around. I'm hooked!

by Anonymousreply 11710/09/2013

I love this show more and more with each new episode. Tom Mison is gorgeous and I thought he'd be the only reason why I'd watch it. I was wrong. The show itself is really good. I love the chemistry between the 2 leads. I like that the sister has now been added to the mix. I was so glad to hear that it's already been picked up for a second season.

by Anonymousreply 11810/09/2013

Someone over at TWOP posted Fox is sending out viewer panel surveys asking what they would like to change about the show.

If there are any 50 something women on that panel they will say kill off Abbie. They don't seem to like her and want Katrina to be the star of the show and Abbie to be partnered with the character played by Orlando Jones.

I can't understand why they would pick him? Must be because he's so tall.

by Anonymousreply 11910/09/2013

I want more fish-out-of-water touches.

The "On Star" thing was great, but it made me very aware of the other missed opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 12010/09/2013

The show works because of the chemistry between the leads. What's not to like about Abbie? She's beautiful and a good actress. This show is not about a romantic relationship between Ichabod and Abbie. Why would any idiot want to see that? His soulmate is Katrina. He's trying to get her out of limbo so they can be together again. He and Abbie are trying to save the world. Besides, she has an ex on the force. If they are going to give her a romance they will probably go there. There is something off about the Captain. I like that we really don't know if he's a good guy or a bad guy but a romantic lead he's not. The last episode was great. Lots of sly humor and her sister is an interesting and likable character. Fox needs to fix the POS that is The Following and leave this show alone. It's the only real hit of the new tv season.

by Anonymousreply 12110/09/2013

I can't follow it.

by Anonymousreply 12210/09/2013

Omg! Don't even suggest romance between the two leads. What a horrible thought.

Why is it that people want to get the two leads of a show together romantically? Jesus. People are already talking about Holmes and Watson, for example.

I think I might not watch The Following when it comes back. It's a pretty dumb show.

by Anonymousreply 12310/09/2013

I caught the third episode, and while I still like the central dynamic (and the addition of Abbie's sister), I do think the writing and plot could use some tightening and upgrades. The last episode was just all over the place with projectors and Hessians and the Tea Party and a book which summons a demon (but which was conveniently destroyed just by throwing it in a fire - what?). Time and time again, the downfall of these shows are plots that lose control (and lose viewer interest) - just goes to show how important writing staff and a good show-runner are.

The two main actors are great, and I've realized they bear a loose resemblance to the dynamic of Holmes and Watson on Elementary - sassy not-having-it minority female paired with odd but charming British guy (though Crane is considerably nicer than Sherlock). I've noticed that (like Elementary) they've shied away from hinting at a romantic relationship, instead focusing on the two building up their trust for one another, which is probably the right course - if they do eventually pursue a romance, they'll do it through a slow build over the seasons to build up tension rather than trying something too forced right off the bat.

by Anonymousreply 12410/09/2013

Ichabbie is all over Tumblr.

Fangirls ship these two HARD.

by Anonymousreply 12510/09/2013

Yeah, well, fangirls are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 12610/09/2013

R123, many shows want to create a "Moonlighting" dynamic where viewers are invested in underlying sexual tension between two partners - this was the case for "the X-Files" as well.

But most shows also realize that if you're lucky enough to find a pair that has that kind of chemistry, you don't give viewers what they want until you're near the end, because interest sharply drops off after the romance is acknowledged and consummated.

Of course, there's another reason for Tumblr fangirls to ship the leads, and that's because it's a "rare pair" of a POC lead female with a traditional white male hero - you really don't see many representations of interracial romance, especially on network shows like this. It's appealing to fangirls to root for a traditional "outsider" to end up with the romance novel-worthy hero (rather than his pretty white wife).

by Anonymousreply 12710/09/2013

In writing about the last episode, I realized what my problem with the writing is so far - too much fucking exposition. Crane has to take a break every few minutes to explain some far-fetched long-ago historical episode that no one has heard of and that he seemingly pulls out of his ass, which nicely sets up the episode's random object / plot coupon of the week.

They could do a better job creating an atmosphere of mystery and discovery rather than throwing in conveniently-placed plot devices (the Horseman's head! The witch's bones! The secret book!) that Crane has to explain to Abbie.

by Anonymousreply 12810/09/2013

I liked the third episode better than the second.

The woman playing the sister is visually striking but not a great actress.

Whereas the lead actors in this are very good.

by Anonymousreply 12910/10/2013

I too love the lead actors, and I too hope that there isn't even a HINT of a love story between them. That would completely ruin the show, and be completely out of character for BOTH leads.

by Anonymousreply 13010/10/2013

R130, Why because she's black and he's white? If you notice there is sexual tension between them. I hope they do act it on it, BUT much later in the series. I want writers to establish the bond and trust between the lead characters.

by Anonymousreply 13110/10/2013

[quote] Why is it that people want to get the two leads of a show together romantically?

Because they watch soap operas and sitcoms, where everyone has to date or be married.

by Anonymousreply 13210/10/2013

I agree with other posters who have stated there's too much time spent on tomes and texts and maps and Hessians and the Book of Revelation. Maybe this appeals to the Dungeons and Dragons/Lord of the Rings freaks who like overly complicated shit, but it doesn't appeal to me. Also agree that there should be no romantic relationship between the two leads. Nicole Beharie and Tom Mison are both great, though, but the show will be stronger without a romantic relationship.

by Anonymousreply 13310/10/2013

R131? Why in the FUCK would you go there? I think it speaks more to the way you think than anyone else...

There isn't any sexual tension. He's more a mentor/father-figure to her, and he's still in love with his wife, the witch, who is still watching over them.

It has nothing to do with race, you nimrod.

Yes, they should have a bond of trust. As friends. As colleagues. As mentor/student (working both ways, as he teaches her about the occult, and she teaches him about the modern world). But they are NOT and SHOULD NEVER BE lovers. It would interfere with the plot of the show, the dynamics of the show, and wouldn't ring true to the characters.

by Anonymousreply 13410/10/2013

When the ratings start to tank, I think they'll hook the two of them up.

I don't see this show lasting seven years.

They need at least four or five to tell a good story.

by Anonymousreply 13510/10/2013

R134, I'm not R131, but we've had three episodes total so far - I think it's a little premature to talk about how things aren't "true to the characters" and "would interfere with the plot" and how a romance "SHOULD NEVER" happen. We have no idea where the plot's going to go, and we really haven't gotten to know the characters that well besides surface traits.

If the show were three seasons in and they decided to throw in a romance for ratings, I'd agree it seems forced and tacked on, but it seems a little weird to be invested in two characters NOT getting together when the show has just started. Plus, we know next to nothing about Crane's wife besides that she's a witch who tried to save him - she could always end up being a villain down the line, deceitful, etc. (what else did she hide from him besides being a witch? Did he ever really know her?)

by Anonymousreply 13610/10/2013

R130, I see someone's riled up...did I hit a nerve? Not surprised because there is a push by some folks to get rid of Abbie altogether...I wonder why?

We've barely seen Katrina and Crane together on screen. His past is his past and anything can transpire between Crane and Abbie in present day. There is no need for a romance right now...both characters need to time to grow and bond. I'm hoping for something along the lines of Sully and Mulder. the name calling necessary? Try to be a bit more mature...

by Anonymousreply 13710/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 13810/10/2013

"Icky? It's me..."

by Anonymousreply 13910/10/2013

R137, are you hearing imaginary name calling in your head, like you're perceiving imaginary racism in your head?

by Anonymousreply 14010/10/2013

I really do like the show, but large part of liking it are the big monsters, that still are very mysterious. Episode three to me only kicked into high gear when the blurry face appeared, and I must say I find it a bit problematic that a mysterious beast is needed to lift up the atmosphere. Why isn't the atmosphere that high already?

Like others have pointed out there are problems in the writing. Mainly about how light are they trying to keep the tone, which partly comes from treating the show either as a weekly happenings at the town of Sleepy Hollow where anything could happen or using a very tight series-long story arc that covers everything and keeps it all believable. The Blacklist lost me only after two episodes because that show obviously don't give a shit about creating a tight and believable story. Instead it's just empty posing where characters pretend to be serious.

Sleepy Hollow still is believable but I agree with an earlier poster who wondered about why did they throw so much stuff into the episode three. I really hope they treat the show with care because it's one of the rare shows that has it all going from the beginning. The chemistry of the leads, and the kick ass sister, is great. I wouldn't mind a mild sexual undertone between them, and even an affair, which would bring depth to the story if done right. We still are at episode three and anything could happen, although I'm a bit afraid that the show is becoming quite boringly formulaic, and that would be shame.

by Anonymousreply 14110/10/2013

How would getting rid of Abbie improve the show? Without her there is no show. And isn't Ichabod "dead" for all intents and purposes? Not to mention there is NO sexual tension between the leads. As it should be. As another poster pointed out he is a father figure and a mentor to Abbie. Katrina is the love of his life and he's trying to "find" her to release her from that supe limbo so they can be reunited. As well as save the world. I don't know why this show needs a romance. The idiot fangirls can watch The Originals and The Vampire Diaries if that is what they crave. Or Dracula. Sheesh. BTW, anyone who suggests that the fans who are against introducing some silly romance between the leads are doing so because we are racist really need to get back on their meds.

by Anonymousreply 14210/10/2013

It doesn't matter r142.

The fangirls are fighting about Abbie hooking up with Crane, and how Katrina is the star of the show.

Neither is true, but I guess this is what will happen for as long as the show airs.

by Anonymousreply 14310/10/2013

This is the first fairy tale series I've tried, and I don't think I have the patience for it. I do like the female cop, but Ichabod is a lot less interesting to me. You don't have to have any appreciable talent to play "wide-eyed bewildered", I'm not convinced he is that good of an actor. Maybe he's the problem, no matter what the sticky-fingered fangirls have to say about him.

by Anonymousreply 14410/11/2013

I really like the show. Icabod is hot and I really like Abbie. But I'm embarrassed to admit that, when I saw the first episode the first thing I thought was, there are a lot of black people in Sleepy Hollow. It is rare for a myth-laden show about the unknown and the occult feature a black protagonist.

by Anonymousreply 14510/11/2013

R144, you're just an idiot. Go away.

by Anonymousreply 14610/12/2013

r146 = sticky fingered fangirl

by Anonymousreply 14710/12/2013

R145, It's a diverse show that is needed on t.v. and it's great that they have MORE than one person of color on the show.

Also, it's sad that people are not use to seeing people of color on popular t.v. shows. This is why some people would rather not see the two leads form a romantic relationship. The IMDB and Tumblr comments prove the show's diversity IS STILL an issue for some.

by Anonymousreply 14810/12/2013

I hate people like r134. They ruin discussion on the internet. They're exhausting in their histrionics.

by Anonymousreply 14910/12/2013

Even Ichabod Crane is hot on television.

by Anonymousreply 15010/14/2013

[quote] seems to understand terminology that would definitely not be familiar to someone who lived in the 18th century.

Case in point: When Crane stated that he had an eidetic memory, a term that was not even used until the early part of the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 15110/14/2013

R149, you should direct your ire at R131, who started it with their utter nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 15210/14/2013

I love this show. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 15310/14/2013

I watched the first two but just realized how stupid it was when they started talking about "covens of witches" while driving in a police cruiser.

by Anonymousreply 15410/14/2013

If you don't find this show fun, then you're incapable of having fun.

by Anonymousreply 15510/14/2013

The pilot episode was good through and through.

I haven't been happy with the show since then.

After tonight, I hope that all of the 15 year old fangirls realize that they will NEVER put Abbie and Ichabod in a relationship.

I fully expect Katrina and Crane to be the duo starting next year, and poor Abbie will be sent packing.

Can't wait to see the meltdown when that happens.

It's gonna be epic!

by Anonymousreply 15610/14/2013

By the time of the Roanoke colony, Middle English had been extinct for hundreds of years.

by Anonymousreply 15710/14/2013

And, to be honest, Ichabod was the weirdest of the Crane brothers, as hard as that is to believe.

by Anonymousreply 15810/14/2013

We finally saw a glimpse of the incomparable John Noble during that preview!

by Anonymousreply 15910/14/2013

Yeah, R157, but who cares.

I mean, this is a show about magic and witches and the four horsemen of the apocalypse... that detail is the least of the things you need to suspend disbelief in.

I just love this show because it's so much fun! Abby's great, Ichabod's great, the quips and asides are great.

by Anonymousreply 16010/14/2013

I thought tonight's ep was just OK. Still, better than most stuff out there.

But can anyone here explain the reasoning for taking it off the air for THREE WEEKS???

Makes no sense to me. It debuts, it's obviously popular and they destroy the momentum by taking it off for three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 16110/14/2013

Fox is broadcasting the championship and world series games so SH is on hiatus for the time being.

by Anonymousreply 16210/14/2013

It's taking a 3 week break because of baseball. It's the World Series, r161. Sports fucking everything up as usual. With like a million sports channels they still air the games on regular networks. I hate that.

by Anonymousreply 16310/14/2013

Thanks r162, r163. I didn't think of that. I'm so out of the sports loop. Fucking sports is right. Here they have a hit show that would be perfect around Halloween and they have to take it off to show stupid fucking baseball.

by Anonymousreply 16410/14/2013

I didn't like it at first because the romance novel version of Ichabod was annoying, compounding it with his english accent. Took me a really long time to warm up to him, but by the end of ep. 2 I liked SH. I wasn't crazy about episode 3 though, too X-File-ish, and not in a good way. This current episode 5 looks really bad too, only 16 minutes into it. I didn't like Fringe either, and SH was created by the Fringe people. I'd say Witches of East End is more consistent, but it's only had two episodes so too early to say that.

by Anonymousreply 16510/15/2013

[quote]I mean, this is a show about magic and witches and the four horsemen of the apocalypse... that detail is the least of the things you need to suspend disbelief in.

I see your point , but the best supernatural shows succeed by keeping the everyday world firmly ground in reality.

by Anonymousreply 16610/15/2013

The only part that makes me cringe is Orlando Jones.

by Anonymousreply 16710/15/2013

Nothing about this show is grounded in reality at this point.

The thing it needs to do is remain consistent within the world that it has built.

by Anonymousreply 16810/15/2013

"Nickolas Gonzalez is on the show!"

Was he one of the young male actors who posed full-frontal nude for gay photographer Greg Gorman? If so, there must be nude photos on the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 16910/15/2013

Anyone else notice that WALTER from Fringe is appearing next time?!?

by Anonymousreply 17010/15/2013

Recurring role. Love love love Walter.

by Anonymousreply 17110/15/2013

1 of the main reasons why I watch. ;-)

by Anonymousreply 17210/15/2013

Love this show so far, but Orlando Jones is awful.

by Anonymousreply 17310/15/2013

Loved episode three. Great stuff! Even if the history is off a little, it's more information than the standard high school kid gets in 4 years of history.

by Anonymousreply 17410/16/2013

Three weeks till a new episode but only two new episodes are being pre-empted. Still, it's going to lose some momentum with the hiatus. People who don't like baseball will tune into DWTS or the comedies on CBS. The show stands to lose viewers who may like the alternatives and stick with them. The show has been renewed but the ratings are really important to sponsors and it's important that the show remain a runaway hit. BTW, Ichabod's bod looks weird. He looks anorexic without his clothes.

by Anonymousreply 17510/16/2013

#5 ROCKED! I fucking loved this show! True history about American Indians, Roanoke. Viewers getting American history they probably slept through all there lives. Not to mention bible shit

Icky is adorable, but not Tom Mison. It's the Legolas/Bloom syndrome.

I will wait impatiently for it to return

by Anonymousreply 17610/16/2013

The fangirls will NEVER admit this, but the show is slowly bleeding viewers.

If the numbers don't go back up, it should be somewhere around 5-6 million by the end of the season.

Don't know if they can grow from there because this show is all kinds of fucked up, wild, and crazy.

Is it fun? Yes, to me, but I can see how it wouldn't be for a lot of people.

I'm thinking it will move to Fridays if it even gets a third season.

by Anonymousreply 17710/16/2013

Apparently their dvr ratings are insanely good and add over 60% to the overnight rating. Its not doing bad,

by Anonymousreply 17810/19/2013

People are such negative nellies. The show's doing fine.

I didnt realise Tom Mison dated Carey Mulligan for three years. They split up in the year An Education was released.

by Anonymousreply 17910/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 18010/21/2013

Is he botoxed? His forehead is soooo smooth and his eyebrows never move...

by Anonymousreply 18110/22/2013

He does have a big forehead. Must be very intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 18210/22/2013

R182 I believe that's known as a "five-head."

by Anonymousreply 18310/22/2013

Some news:

Entertainment Weekly just posted that the Sleepy Hollow Finale will air January 20th at 8 p.m.

by Anonymousreply 18410/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 18511/01/2013

Back tonight, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 18611/04/2013

What a great episode!

It's interesting that Ichabod is a Mason.

And also amazing that he would recognize a direct descendant of the peeps that signed THE document.

by Anonymousreply 18711/04/2013

I've watched all the episodes, and I think it's too 'busy', jittery and noisy. The creators should become more aware of the power of silence and atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 18811/05/2013

Send in the Calvary? How does that work as a threat?

by Anonymousreply 18911/05/2013

I am afraid that Ichabod and the cop are going to have a romance!

by Anonymousreply 19011/05/2013

No they wont, R190.

Especially now that Abbie met Mrs. Crane.

by Anonymousreply 19111/05/2013

Who was the actor who played Rutledge? I checked IMDB and that episode's info was complete yet. I know I've seen him in something else recently, but I can't place him.

by Anonymousreply 19211/05/2013

James Frain also played Franklin Mott in TRUE BLOOD and Thomas Cromwell in THE TUDORS.

by Anonymousreply 19411/05/2013

Love this damn show! Last night was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 19511/05/2013

R193 R194 Thanks for the info! I haven't seen any of those shows (don't have HBO or Showtime, and don't watch Grimm) but I checked IMDB and found out I remembered him from an episode of "The Closer." His British accent was creeping through in SH last night-- presumably the character was supposed to be American, no?

by Anonymousreply 19611/05/2013

Excellent show last night, the masons, the black revolutionary guy, the death-eater. Nicely spun yarn.

by Anonymousreply 19711/05/2013

Why are they trying to doll up the female leads? Both had more plastered make-up than a Miss America pageant. I think the leads were more convincing with a more natural look--the fuschia lipstick and carefully quaffed hair on a cop and even more, a mental patient, are distracting and annoying. Not to mention the fact that both actresses are naturally stunning. It bugs.

I also didn't care for the hard-pedalling of the romantic elements between Abby and Icky. If this becomes one big Abby swoon it will turn into every other ridiculous series out there featuring male/female partners. I just hope the series retains it uniqueness, and I view these elements as red flags.

by Anonymousreply 19811/06/2013

This is shaping up in to a very good show. I really enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 19911/06/2013

[quote]carefully quaffed hair

They're drinking hair? This show is weirder than I thought!

by Anonymousreply 20011/06/2013

Well, you have to do it carefully, r200.

by Anonymousreply 20111/06/2013

R198, How is Abby plastered with makeup? Her hair has always mimicked Ichabod in that it's just straight with a pony tail. She doesn't use much lipstick or other makeup. Her sister Jenny has always had those thick eyebrows which give her a particular look. Katrina has always worn too much make up especially for a Quacker/witch but that's been from the beginning, nothing is changed there. In fact, she wore less make up as a Quacker and during the scenes of her first meeting with Ichabod.

I seriously doubt that Abbie and Ichabod will hook up before season 3. Clearly they have chemistry but that doesn't mean they'll have a romance especially with Ichabod pining for his purgatory living/dead wife.

by Anonymousreply 20211/06/2013

There's quite a difference, R202. Did you see a pony tail in the last episode? Katrina has always had a lot of make-up, but I don't know what they are trying to do to Abby and her sister. Totally unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 20311/06/2013

Any gossip on Mison and Beharie?

by Anonymousreply 20411/07/2013

The show's getting pretty tedious. The latest episode was pretty mindless action and not even done very well. The Headless Horseman is such a boring character but let's hope something new and exciting happens with the show soon.

by Anonymousreply 20511/13/2013

Headless is hot!

by Anonymousreply 20611/13/2013

Beharie is such a great actress I feel it's a shame that she's totally wasted on a show like Sleepy Hollow. (She first caught my attention when she held her own with the incomparable Alfre Woodard in "American Violet," her film debut.)

I don't know much about Mison, but I find him extremely appealing -- he certainly has more chemistry with Beharie than the actress that plays his wife on the show. Unfortunately, like most of the shows produced by J.J. Abrams, Sleepy Hollow is becoming very predictable. I agree with others who called the show Buffy-lite. It all goes back to the cliche writing. I'm hoping for the best because I like many of the lead actors (and it's great to see the gorgeous Nicholas Gonzalez back on a network series), but the writing staff needs to step it up if they want to keep viewers returning each week.

by Anonymousreply 20711/13/2013

I'm actually liking how they are weaving history into this show. I enjoy both "National Treasure" movies with Nic Cage.

LOL at R202 with "QuaCker/witch." I think he meant QUAKER but still.

by Anonymousreply 20811/18/2013

This show is so much fun. The first five minutes had more fun in it than entire HOURS of other shows.

by Anonymousreply 20911/18/2013

Washington Irving is looking down from up above, and smiling.

by Anonymousreply 21011/19/2013

Sleepy Hollow is one of the few shows on TV where most parts are played by actors of color. The only whites in the cast are Ichabod, Katrina, and the headless horseman.

by Anonymousreply 21111/26/2013

I'm enjoying this show - it reminds me of The X-Files.

by Anonymousreply 21211/26/2013

R211 I noticed that, too. There are lots of really good, compelling, pivotal scenes where Tom Mison is the only white guy in them--or not in them at all. Not tokenism at work either. Just well acted scenes with great actors playing great parts. Refreshing that it all seems so normal. Startling that I find myself writing that.

As Edna Turnblad (and someone else, but I forget who) said, "The times, they are a'changin'."

by Anonymousreply 21311/26/2013

I love this show. The thanksgiving/haunted house episode was really great. I agree about how easily the cast is black and white, and this weeks episode reinforced how folks have intertwined in America since revolutionary days.

The director of this episode was Liz whats her name...a producer of Xena...and an out lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 21411/26/2013

It was a fantastic episode. There's a little Crane baby running about!!!

The tree demon reminded me a bit of LOTR, but, it must be difficult to have a demon tree running about, without it looking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 21511/26/2013

A nice write-up of this week's episode:

[bold]Sleepy Hollow's haunted-house episode [/bold]

This week in Sleepy Hollow, there's nothing like a demon-infested home for the holidays, as Abbie and Ichabod march into a haunted house like they're new around here, and find out more about themselves than you can shake a stick monster at.

Haunted-house episodes are a genre of their own; they have the built-in creep factor of a shelter turning on you, and are thematically ripe with ghostly responsibility (family, old sins, some other ghost's problems you've been reluctantly dragged into since you picked up an amulet on the street because you lack the common sense of a waffle). Sometimes they're a trick to sustain, because the scariest parts of a haunted house are its hostile geography and the inevitable separation of any entering party into its freaked-out and flashlit components as they SCULLAAAAY for each other for two minutes in the middle, but with enough interaction, they're good silly-spooky fun.

And Sleepy Hollow, a show that loves its genre seriously so much, throws itself wholeheartedly into the entire business (except for missing an opportunity to bring back its early monster-of-the-week music cues, robbing us of twenty seconds of "Come On-A My House"). It also tries maybe a little too hard to include everyone in its thematic bounty, but we'll slam that door shut when we get to it.

(more at the link)

by Anonymousreply 21611/26/2013

" Not tokenism at work either."

No, and the inclusion of a disabled African American daughter, without making a big deal of it, was interesting. Although, the whole divorced family stuff was trite.

But the real village of Sleepy Hollow, actually in Tarrytown, is overwhelmingly White:

by Anonymousreply 21711/26/2013

"[in 2010,] the racial makeup of the village was 61.01% Caucasian, 6.21% African American, 0.83% Native American, 3.25% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 23.47% from other races, and 5.22% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 51.04% of the population, many of whom are Ecuadorian, Dominican, Chilean, and Puerto Rican."

by Anonymousreply 21811/26/2013

Yeah, R217, I forgot but I was gonna make the point that the racial composition of the show is pretty improbable given the actual make up of Sleepy Hollow in real life.

All the major black characters playing important roles, the Asian police officer who's now caught between his friendship with Abbie and his undead status, Abbie's ex-bf and kinda asshole is Hispanic. Is he dead? I forgot.

It's a veritable United Nations on the show. The real Sleepy Hollow? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 21911/26/2013

I watched four episodes of this show and the lead actress is great but this show is just too retarded for me to spend an hour every week watching.

by Anonymousreply 22011/26/2013

I'll be giving thanks for Tom Mison's hotness this Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 22111/26/2013

I also love this show.

Love the racial inclusiveness.

Kudos to Ken Olin!!

by Anonymousreply 22211/27/2013

I'm already getting bored with the show.

If they don't do something with Katrina by next season, I'm out.

I'm not spending seven years watching her give cryptic messages, and Crane crying over her.

The black posters on Tumblr are angry about the writing, saying the writers are giving Abby the shaft and making her the sidekick to the special snowflakes/The Cranes.

by Anonymousreply 22311/27/2013

The best part is that race is never an issue. Reviewers and commenters might bring up race, but aside from the occasional line like "your people are emancipated" or other funny anachronism the fact that 2/3rds of the characters are non-white (counting JCho) is irrelevant.

My theory- we are going to find out that Abbie and Jenny are descendants of Ichabod and Katrina, as evidenced by the black midwife taking the newborn Crane into her home at Katrina's request.

I love this show- GUANO LOCO!!!

by Anonymousreply 22411/27/2013

I'll admit I did notice, and think about the racial make up on this last episode. It's fantastic.

I think Captain Irving will be the descendant, though.

Everything does revolve around the Cranes. Katrina was the one that put Ichabod in that sleep.

I find it interesting that the actress that plays Katrina has yet to look the same way twice. I have to do a double take every time she comes on-screen. She looks different in every outfit and hair style.

by Anonymousreply 22511/28/2013

The last episode was so bad that I had to fast forward about 50% of it. The first few episodes were very promising but the last few have felt tired and completely unoriginal. The tree monster was just laughably bad. Nothing wrong with the actors, it's the script and the overall production. The episode directors have been quite eneven. I see the show being an empty mess at the moment.

It seems the show is bleeding viewers: only 5.8 million viewers when the series premiere had over 10 million. I had forgotten that the show only has 13 episode season since so many of the episodes have felt like fillers. They really should've made the season tighter and just plainly written it better. I wonder would Fox have give the second season renewal if they'd make the decision right now? Reading comments here it seems some people are really loving the show, though.

I just watched Supernatural and the difference between the shows is huge: SN feels fresh on its 9th season but Sleepy Hollow feels dead on its tracks on its 9th episode.

The romance between the Crane couple is just completely uninteresting, and I wouldn't care if I never saw that Katrina woman again. I'm wondering if people interested in the romance angle are mostly women? Are most of the watchers mostly women? Mison is not sexy enough to keep me interested (I mean seriously, they say television adds pounds and if he looks anorexic on tv I can only imagine how thin he is in reality). The sisters as characters are pretty good, but for some reason producers and writers are not making a flowy experience but rather introduce something and then forget it and bring it back later for a short period of time. It's all very disjointed and everything in the show suffers from it.

I'll probably check out the last remaining episodes of the season, but probably end up fast forwarding them through if the show doesn't return to the real feeling of mystery and horror it had on its first two episodes. It probably won't be getting any better, though.

by Anonymousreply 22611/28/2013

I guess I couldn't disagree with you more, R226. Sleepy Hollow is one of the most fun shows on television right now. It's crazy and fun. I don't get where you're coming from at all. It's one of the very few television highlights of my week.

by Anonymousreply 22711/28/2013

Yeah R227, different people like different things. Sleepy Hollow has unfortunately lost its charm almost completely in my eyes and feels like it's not moving forward at all. Which is a shame because the first episode kicked ass. But I'll probably just have to accept that the show is not for me and move on. The drop in ratings tells that I'm not the only one. Hopefully the producers concentrate making the scripts a lot better for the second season.

by Anonymousreply 22811/28/2013

[quote]The romance between the Crane couple is just completely uninteresting, and I wouldn't care if I never saw that Katrina woman again.

Me either.

[quote]I'm wondering if people interested in the romance angle are mostly women?

From what I read online, if women are interested in a romance, it's not in one between Ichabod and Katrina.

[quote]...if the show doesn't return to the real feeling of mystery and horror it had on its first two episodes

"Horror" is a stretch, but I agree it has lost that certain...edge. Did someone tell the writers to tone it down?

by Anonymousreply 22911/28/2013

Yeah horror might be a bit strong word but well, now that I think of it, really, the show did have a pretty strong horror element in the beginning, and that came mainly from the Blurry Face, or whathisname. The first few times they used Blurry Face had a sense of real fear and terror. The last episodes are just pale imitations of that so possibly Fox wanted it toned down, or the production team just decided to move to a lighter tone. Or possibly they just now use writers and directors who simply don't know how to make the show as high quality as it was in the beginning. It's like the first two episodes were from a mystery semi-horror thriller and the last from some plastic Disney World horror ride.

Personally I couldn't give a rat's ass about any romance angle in the show, unless it's between Mison and Nicholas Gonzales ;) At least not until they fix what is broken overall with the show first.

by Anonymousreply 23011/28/2013

Ents are certainly a step down from "Blurry Face" (lol)--or even the Sandman.

I didn't really like this episode either--it had potential, but the whole Ent was silly. You expect to see that kind of thing towards the end of series run, not the beginning. And the final "battle" between Ichabod and the Ent was stunningly anti-climatic.

I did enjoy the episode before this one. But I also liked the earlier episodes on the whole better than the later episodes. Hopefully the writing will become more consistent. I'm a fan for several reason--not the least of which is Tom Mison, who is amazing. I'll continue to watch. I really hope it doesn't start to suck.

by Anonymousreply 23111/28/2013

[quote] And the final "battle" between Ichabod and the Ent was stunningly anti-climatic.

Oh, dear. (There was no weather involved.)

by Anonymousreply 23211/29/2013

This last episode was ridiculous. It really felt thrown-together - oh, let's have the characters stumble around in the dark with flashlights for 20 minutes and then resolve the whole thing with a vision, which we will reveal through a narrative.

by Anonymousreply 23311/29/2013

*climactic*, forgive the typo.

by Anonymousreply 23411/29/2013

Hey, R231 et al, you're lucky spell-check didn't make it ceramic - we got it.

by Anonymousreply 23511/30/2013

This show deserves much love, yet not necessarily more episodes. It's all kinds of awesome when history meets the present, but it is only believable when presented in a setting with vampire/witch/zombies. Kids today are only interested in knowing who George Washington was if they can believe it possible that he might turn up on their street one day, a little faded and dirtier from laying in the ground for two hundred years, but still hott and ready to par-TAY! I don't see that this show has any trajectory, other than as a showcase for up'n-comers. I found the "Blood Moon" episode delightful. I'm also happy to see it sponsored by such tasteful companies. That Droid ad with Ed Norton made my whole head fold back.

by Anonymousreply 23612/07/2013

Oh, and Victoria's Secret is offering special deals on "half-off bras!"

by Anonymousreply 23712/07/2013

crazy show

by Anonymousreply 23812/10/2013

R236 what the fuck are you going on about? Your entire post was confusing.

In other SH observations, there's no way in hell Crane Junior is really dead. Ichabod's heart probably wasn't beating while he was buried for 200 years either, and the witches made sure to include that he was "hexed".

Abbie barely got any screen time last night. :-( Can we please wrap up this Katrina/Ichabod epic love story and get back to the apocalypse stuff. Where's the horseman?

by Anonymousreply 23912/10/2013

[quote] I'm not spending seven years watching her give cryptic messages, and Crane crying over her.

And neither is anyone else. The ratings slide continues with the last episode hitting yet another series low. It's already been renewed for a 2nd season but it's looking increasingly likely that's all it'll get. I checked out about the 4th episode.

And I agree r233, that Abby is a good character trapped in a bad show, while the romance novel version of Ichabod is cringe-inducing.

by Anonymousreply 24012/11/2013

love a good golem.

by Anonymousreply 24112/11/2013

I enjoy everything about this show except for the writing, which is execrable.

by Anonymousreply 24212/22/2013

Only one more week!

by Anonymousreply 24301/06/2014

Only three more episodes? DAMN!!

by Anonymousreply 24401/06/2014

Right? What's the point of a long break with only 3 more episodes?

by Anonymousreply 24501/08/2014

I do wish they could get him out of his uniform and in up to date clothes.

by Anonymousreply 24701/14/2014

Abbie tried that last night, R247. The episode started with him walking out of a room in a dark blue button-down shirt and skinny jeans. He couldn't sit down in them (guessing he was going commando).

She gave him something else to try on and he came out wearing his usual 17th C. clothes.

IMO, he looks much better in his period clothes.

R246, what did you chat about?

by Anonymousreply 24801/14/2014

You know, I watched this show faithfully until the break. Then I started to watch last night and got interrupted about 10 minutes in ... and I don't feel any compelling need to go back and start watching again. I think I'm sort of over it.

by Anonymousreply 24901/14/2014

R248: Via the host, I just asked him if she could sing (yes, but he wouldn't for us).

And then he made a joke about another of my (risque) comments that I had written in response to something he said.

It was nothing, but it made my day!!

BTW, he was completely adorable.

by Anonymousreply 25001/14/2014

*he, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 25101/14/2014

R246, lucky!!

I do 'im. I know, big surprise there.

by Anonymousreply 25201/15/2014

Thanks, R252.

Basically, he noticed me.

And I got mad stupid over it but I don't care!

by Anonymousreply 25301/15/2014

The two hour season finale is on now!

One major flub already: Ichabod texting... on a flip phone? And getting "auto-correct" errors? Yeah right.

by Anonymousreply 25401/20/2014

Oh Walter... how could you??

by Anonymousreply 25501/20/2014

You know what sucks? Waiting nine months before finding out how that finale resolves.

Holy crap.

by Anonymousreply 25601/20/2014

I agree, R256. I don't think the networks should try and follow the cable example by making people wait that long for a resolution. SLEEPY HOLLOW should have been given a full season, not a half one.

by Anonymousreply 25701/20/2014

R254, I had an old flip phone and was able to text on it. Not sure about auto-correct errors. If that was mentioned I missed it but Crane is from a time when cursive letters were the norm. Plus he's not a tween who can text 50 words a minute.

by Anonymousreply 25801/21/2014

Yeah, but think about Ichabod Crain trying to T9 text on a flip-phone. And the main point is that the auto-correct errors are a 'smartphone' thing.

And he was texting that stuff awful quickly. That part really rang false for me.

by Anonymousreply 25901/21/2014

Nice write-up of the 2 hour finale:

[italic]In a double-feature finale, Sleepy Hollow pulled out all the stops: big reunions, big plotcakes, big trouble, big reveals, big cliffhangers, zombie George Washington, and Victor Garber literally eating the scenery. What more can you ask for? (Nothing, there's literally nothing left.)

Oh, Sleepy Hollow. The thirteen-hour B-movie that could has spent the season hurling every horror reference, fantasy stopgap, Masonic handwave, time-travel joke, and monster-flick trope it found. The finale goes for broke (which is saying something), screeching to a cliffhanger you just know everyone in the writers' room cackled about, and leaves all the principal actors worried about their renewal clauses.

And wow, was this finale a trip. Its first half was the most National Treasure the show's ever skewed, complete with an enormous tomb for George Washington (who's dead in there despite taking a brief holiday from being dead so he could return as a zombie and draft a map to Purgatory, because of course), and a faceoff with Andy "Friendzone" Brooks during an escape from the alternate entrance from a thematic hidden tomb with its own rolling track whose vestibule contains a secret exit protocol, which is just about how I always imagined Masons spend their free time and extra money!

The second episode scoops everything the show's been heading for into a blender and adds some new things, leading to a final confrontation that feels slightly like a food fight, except instead of a shoulderful of macaroni everybody's miserable for eight months. ("Tune in next fall or else!" - Sleepy Hollow.)

Is it two hours of plotcakes? You bet. But it has its moments, and some great character beats. This show has always prioritized character continuity over plot continuity, and so that's how we're going to break this thing down. [/italic]

Much more at the link below:

by Anonymousreply 26001/21/2014

[quote]You know what sucks? Waiting nine months before finding out how that finale resolves.

Well, you and the writers will just have to be patient!

by Anonymousreply 26101/21/2014

It wasn't obvious to me.

by Anonymousreply 26301/27/2014

Does no one have any gossip on the gorgeous Mison. Come on you lot.

by Anonymousreply 26401/31/2014

Is Mison a botoxer? Totally smooth forehead which rarely moves?

by Anonymousreply 26501/31/2014

Loving it!

by Anonymousreply 26602/02/2014

Repeats are on

by Anonymousreply 26707/31/2014

Let season two begin!

by Anonymousreply 26807/31/2014

In a month and a half!!!

by Anonymousreply 26908/01/2014

Anyone still watching?

Looks like the ratings have collapsed.

by Anonymousreply 27010/01/2014

I'm just catching this on Hulu. WTF? They kill off Clancy Brown in the first episode? He's a great actor.

BTW, do they ever let this Ichabod eat?? He's gotta be starving after 250 years.

by Anonymousreply 27111/01/2014

Ratings are bad for this show. No third season?

by Anonymousreply 27211/11/2014

R271, he's present in a few flashbacks after the opening episode, and he's referred to even more.

by Anonymousreply 27311/11/2014

They need to renew this show just for more shirtless Hawley! WOOOF

by Anonymousreply 27411/12/2014

Such a fun show

by Anonymousreply 27511/17/2014

Is it wrong that I want Hawley to fuck the shit out of Abbie?

by Anonymousreply 27611/17/2014

I'd rather he bottom for Crane.

by Anonymousreply 27711/17/2014

Looks like this show is in danger of being cancelled. I started to lose interest when their creepy son became the season's Big Bad.

What I liked was the banter between the leads, the diverse cast with unusual characters, and Mison's sexy man-out-of-time observations.

Too bad, some executive probably got his hands on it.

by Anonymousreply 27811/19/2014

A good mystery series needs to have its quiet and atmospheric moments and SH doesn't have enough of them (AHS has), it's altogether too jittery and too loud.

by Anonymousreply 27911/19/2014

Got half way through the last episode. Sorry that it has fallen so flat so quickly.

by Anonymousreply 28011/19/2014

I can't imagine it's in danger of being canceled. But yeah, R278, I watch for the same reasons as you... and some of that has definitely faded. I hope they find that groove again.

by Anonymousreply 28111/19/2014

It's looking too much like Supernatural.

Monster of the week. Ghosts, Wendigo's, spells needing to be broken.

How many episodes are they doing?

by Anonymousreply 28211/19/2014

The story arc seems so thin that all they have is filler episode with the occasional scene that furthers the season's plot. The new blond guy is easy on the eyes though.

by Anonymousreply 28311/19/2014

Hot blondie dude!! Lovin' him.

by Anonymousreply 28411/19/2014

R282, they did half a season last year, and from what I understand it's longer this year but still not a full 20 or 22 episode run.

by Anonymousreply 28511/19/2014

Loved the first season. This one not so much. I do think Tom Mison and Nicole Beharie have great chemistry. And as someone up thread said, great man out of time observations from Mison's character. The stuff with the son ( John Noble) is stopping this show dead in it's tracks.

by Anonymousreply 28611/19/2014

Ten episodes last season.

Thirteen episodes this season.

by Anonymousreply 28711/19/2014

That might be 3 too many, R287. Thanks.

I hate, hate, hate Noble and his character. It was a ridiculous plot point and it's even lamer now that the "parents" still want to fix him or redeem him somehow.

They've neutered the Orlando Jones character by placing him in that asylum, although he did break out, but now they will be looking for him everywhere.

Maybe the novelty has worn out.

by Anonymousreply 28811/19/2014

Actually, there are going to be 18 episodes this season. Episode 11 will be the last one to air on Dec 1 before a month break. It will return on Jan 5th with episode 12.

They were filming episode 15 the other day.

by Anonymousreply 28911/23/2014

A lot of fun tonight!

by Anonymousreply 29011/24/2014

Tom Mison is the best thing on any show this season.

by Anonymousreply 29111/25/2014

Most of last night's episode was pre-empted by local Fox for news out of Ferguson.

by Anonymousreply 29211/25/2014

Tom Mison is absolutely gorgeous. He's basically why I watch. lol If the show ever gets canceled, I have no doubt that he'll be cast in something else.

Also, they're repeating the episode from Monday night. It'll be showing again on Sat, Nov 29 at 9 p.m. I guess because so many people complained about missing it due to the shooting verdict coverage.

by Anonymousreply 29311/26/2014

They need to get rid of Katrina, Henry and Hawley.

by Anonymousreply 29411/26/2014

I like Hawley. They need to do something different with Katrina. I don't think they should get rid of her, but they need to change something.

by Anonymousreply 29511/26/2014

On several online sites I visit Hawley is not well received. His presence seems intrusive to me and he does not add anything to the overall show. Katrina drags Ichabod down. Her death would provide more emotional weight to the story line than her constant damsel in distress.

by Anonymousreply 29611/27/2014

Aww, man, they killed the 7UP man.

That sucks. Henry should have died instead.

by Anonymousreply 29712/01/2014

Mid-season cliff-hanger

I'm less entranced by this show this year. Part of it is that it seems the stakes have become way too high too soon. If this is the big event, what are they going to do NEXT year? There really doesn't seem to be a lot of places they can go. I'm not even sure how they're going to pad out the season. And that's just it, whatever they do is going to seem like padding at this point.

STILL love the two primary characters.

by Anonymousreply 29812/02/2014

I guess they have to figure out what to do with old Henry now.

He still is a Horseman, isn't he?

Oh, and the Headless Horseman is still tied up.

by Anonymousreply 29912/02/2014

This is slightly off topic but wanted to mention that I met Tom Mison (Ichabod Crane) at an event in NYC back in Oct. He was there with John Noble (Henry). Tom was so incredibly nice. I introduced myself and he smiled and shook my hand and introducted himself. I told him how much I enjoy Sleepy Hollow and he smiled again and thanked me. And then he signed a photo I'd brought with me. He was just as nice to everyone else there. It was a great day. And he's even more gorgeous in person. lol

Back on the topic of Sleepy Hollow, I actually loved the mid-season finale. It seems as if most everyone else hated it though. I just can't wait to see where it goes next when it comes back in January.

by Anonymousreply 30012/02/2014

Me thinks you have a crush on that laddie Tom, R300. He is adorbz!

by Anonymousreply 30112/02/2014

I definitely do, r301. ;-) And it's nice to know that he's not just a pretty face, he's actually a nice, easy going guy. I heard he's moving to NYC. I'd love to have a random sighting of him.

by Anonymousreply 30212/02/2014

I think it's getting tedious, although I still enjoy watching the show. It's hard to keep coming up with fresh material for a show like this and I think people are getting bored.

by Anonymousreply 30312/02/2014

Part of me hopes that they really 'win' and reset a lot of stuff, so that they can go back to "stranger in a strange land" observations and buddy-cop stuff on MINOR super-natural incursions into our world, and over time build up again.

Having every episode be two-seconds-from-the-end-of-the-world is getting to be exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 30412/02/2014

Just have them sleep together already.

by Anonymousreply 30512/02/2014

Well, his son killed Moloch. That's a breather until January.

by Anonymousreply 30612/02/2014

No way, R305!!

Ichabod is a married man. However tenuous his and Katrinas' marriage is at the moment, he is not a person that would be unfaithful.

There can be shows where the male and female lead can be just good friends without there being a need for them to jump into the sack.

Shows are ruined once they go down that path. Very few shows can continue with what made them interesting once romance comes into the picture.

by Anonymousreply 30712/02/2014

The ending--although a bit predictable--was really well done. I don't think an actor other than John Noble could have pulled it off as well.

I was hoping they'd bring back the Golem.

by Anonymousreply 30812/02/2014

Since no one is ever really dead on this show (like the former sheriff and John Cho, who both reappeared post-mortem), do we know if Orlando Jones will be back?

by Anonymousreply 30912/02/2014

by Anonymousreply 31101/19/2015

The actress who plays the undead captain's wife is excellent, imho. Loved her scene with Abby.

by Anonymousreply 31201/19/2015

Speaking of, the actress that plays Abby is just amazing... to the point that she has amazing chemistry with EVERYONE in the show. Her scenes that are one-on-one are always great. Her and Irving's wife. Her an Crain, obviously. Her and her sister. She elevates this show.

Any chance of her getting an Emmy, or is that too much to hope for? Her performance isn't showy at all. It's very natural. Understated even. She just does such a great job. Lover her to death.

by Anonymousreply 31301/19/2015

Loved parts, but tonight was painful. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 31401/19/2015

Seriously, R314? I loved the episode. When they looked back at the painting and the guy and the guy had turned to face them, I really freaked... tingles all up and down the back of my neck. It was fun. I didn't even hate Katrina this episode.

by Anonymousreply 31501/19/2015

Does the hot winged archangel return?

by Anonymousreply 31601/20/2015

It was a better episode than the past few ones, for sure.

It was creepy.

Hardly recognized Michelle Trachtenberg as Abigail Adams.

Emmys never recognize these shows, get real.

by Anonymousreply 31701/20/2015

... that was Michelle Tractenberg?!? I knew she looked familiar. I guess because she wasn't so overly skinny with a freakish long neck like normal... she looked a LOT better.

by Anonymousreply 31801/20/2015

So either it wont be renewed or if it is they are firing the showrunner and all the producers. Empire, and that one cop show as well as Gotham is stealing its thunder. Also the show is all over the place noow.

Id link the articles but i dont care that much.

by Anonymousreply 31901/21/2015

I have yet to find a Sleepy Hollow discussion that didn't go into deep, deep detail about the boiling hot hatred for Katrina. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. Fans loathe this character.

by Anonymousreply 32001/21/2015

Well, it's not completely unprecedented, R320... there's Clara from the latest Dr Who series.

by Anonymousreply 32101/21/2015

People dont love the showrunners obsession with Katriana. Wonder if they are fucking to keep her character relevant. That character could have died a while ago.

by Anonymousreply 32201/21/2015

Katrina was great in season one when she was off-screen, rarely seen or heard, and only served as a motivation to keep Crain moving forward (without getting into a stereotypical showmance with the lead female).

by Anonymousreply 32301/21/2015

Oh, shit!

by Anonymousreply 32402/09/2015

The journalist Hot hotshot damn!!!

by Anonymousreply 32502/09/2015

So, how did this suck so bad, so fast?

Reporter guy is beyond hot.

Ichabod and Abbie = amazing chemistry.

Even Noble and Jones, as amazing as they are...the bullshit tonight was too much. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 32602/09/2015

The journalist was Sharif Atkins from "E.R."! Damn he look good with a beard. I hope they make him at least a recurring character. In a perfect world, he'd hook up with Matt Hawley.

by Anonymousreply 32702/09/2015

I hope that what we are seeing about Katrina turning evil is just a red herring.

It's bullshit that just because she is not liked by fandom because of the stupid "Ichabie", or whatever the fuck it's called, they are going to ruin her character.

I hope they never, ever get together.

I really liked the show but if this is where it's going to be headed, they might as well cancel it at the end of the year.

The ratings suck anyway.

by Anonymousreply 32802/10/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!