Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How many here can live on the new Food Stamp diet?

With the cuts to food stamps, (put in place by DEMOCRATS in the Senate no less) starting in November people on Food Stamps will have about 89 cents per meal.

Can you do it for a month, a week? Can you take the new, reduced Food Stamp challenge?

You can't count any stock or pantry items or anything you already have since you can't assume people on SNAP have any of these things. Everything, including coffee that you put in your mouth except tap water has to be accounted for as part of your Food Stamp challenge.

Try it for a day even, get your friends, family and co-workers to try.

Give yourself a couple of days to think about it and prepare how you will live and if you dare, give it a try.

Feel free to buy all the sundry items, liquor and cigarettes you want since nothing like toilet paper or tooth paste can be bought with Food Stamps. You can also get all the pet food you need since Food Stamps doesn't cover that either. It also doesn't cover ready made foods like BBQ chickens but the rule is as far as food goes you can only spend 89 cents a meal or $2.67 a day or $18.69 a week or if you do an entire month $74.76 for the month. Good Luck!

If you see it can't be done and you are going hungry, please call your reps in the House and Senate and tell them not to cut Food Stamps.

WARNING: If you have medical needs like you're diabetic, have a heart condition, hypertension or anything that requires more and better quality food, you'd better not try this because in all likelihood you, like the very poor with these conditions, will get a lot worse a lot quicker .

by Anonymousreply 29310/22/2013

There was a gay chef from SF who did this, successfully most of the time, and blogged it.

But with the cuts, I think he'd find it impossible

by Anonymousreply 109/15/2013

Link to cuts in SNAP being put in place by Democrats only, please.

by Anonymousreply 209/16/2013

[quote]With the cuts to food stamps, (put in place by DEMOCRATS in the Senate no less) starting in November people on Food Stamps will have about 89 cents per meal.

What is it with morons blaming Democrats for the things Republicans do?

by Anonymousreply 309/16/2013

There is nothing more pretentious and clueless (and fucked up) as a 'raw food vegan'.

by Anonymousreply 509/16/2013

There's always piss drinking.

by Anonymousreply 809/16/2013

You can't spend more than 89 cents a meal? Where I live, my meal planning (as a 52 year old diabetic who lives alone) that meets this criteria looks like this:

Oatmeal with small amount of milk and a small banana (about 75 cents)

1 slice toast with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and a small orange (about 80 cents)

1 slice toast and 2 eggs (about 89 cents but no marg or ketchup or even oil in the pan)

(Grilled cheese is overbudget! Nooooo!)

1/2 box of macaroni and cheese prepared with a few frozen or cooked vegetables added (about 75 cents)

Peanut butter and banana sandwich (about 75 cents)

(A ham or lunch meat sandwich (or egg or salmon salad) would be overbudget as I would probably not be able to buy mayo, ketchup, mustard or any of the things that would make it taste good!)

I'm having difficulty thinking of even a third lunch choice ...

1 chicken leg when I need at least two. A big potato when I shouldn't have that much carb typically as a diabetic. plus a few broccoli stalks. Since a large salad to fill me up, plus any dressing, would add up to beyond the budget, I would go hungry after dinner. I would try to add an apple, but a whole apple -- esp. after a big potato, would again be too many natural sugars/carbs for me to properly manage my diabetes

1 hamburger patty with onions on a slice of whole wheat bread (but without cheese or probably any condiments either) carrot sticks. A light dinner

Again, I'm having trouble thinking of a healthy third choice. Fresh fish would be too expensive.

I probably wouldn't be able to afford plan, non-fat yogurt to add fruit to for a good quality snack

Half an apple and a process cheese slice

Crackers and peanut butter

I can't think of any more ...

I can see that I would go hungry a lot of the time, and also lose out on flavor and more importantly, needed nutrients.

by Anonymousreply 909/16/2013

Now give us the links to contact the appropriate people. And a link to the bill and when it's being voted on?

by Anonymousreply 1009/16/2013

R7 is DL at its worst.

by Anonymousreply 1109/16/2013

[quote] There's always piss drinking.

R7's proof of that

by Anonymousreply 1209/16/2013

R1 I know who you mean. He did it twice, the second time as a Diabetic.

I know who he is, not gay. Happily married and very gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 1309/16/2013

Wow....that is so little money. I ate more than one dollars worth of watermelon with coffee to start my breakfast.

Are we trying to starve the poor to death.

Same guy as R13...goes to my gym in the East Village (restaurant down there he works with) SO not gay, but a hot little body.

by Anonymousreply 1409/16/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1509/16/2013

R15 yes and no.

They typically do work but after rent etc there is NO money for food thus what they get on snap is what they can eat. End of story. Wages are too damn low.

by Anonymousreply 1609/16/2013

Are they cutting just the allotment per person or are they also making the eligibility guidelines more strict?

by Anonymousreply 1709/16/2013

What's it going down to for one person in NYC?

A friend is currently getting food stamps, he gets $200 a month.

That comes out to over $6.00 a day. Not a lot but certainly not 89 cents!

by Anonymousreply 1809/16/2013

[quote]Are they cutting just the allotment per person or are they also making the eligibility guidelines more strict?

How can the guidelines get any tighter?!!! They are pretty severe now.

IIRC, for one person you can't earn more than around $895 a month! It might have gone up to $1000 a month, but I'm not sure. Your rent, maintenance or mortgage cannot be more than $1000.

My friend is lucky to be living in his apartment since 1978, his rent is only $285!

Cutting important needed services for citizens is acceptable, yet we might be involved in another costly war!

by Anonymousreply 1909/16/2013

In the early 2000s I was paid just enough not to qualify. There was a lot I couldn't buy as a single person because it wouldn't keep. For Christmas I asked for a block of parmesan. My SIL thought I'd lost my mind.

I stopped buying milk because I didn't need a gallon and a half gallon was a rip-off. That meant "cheap" foods that required milk (mac&cheese, boxed side meals) were out of the question.

Meat would only survive a few days in my fridge (my freezer didn't freeze), so I couldn't stock up on it when it was on sale unless I cooked all of it at once.

Canned soup was prohibitively expensive. I had to find ways to make my own while using up all of my soup stock.

Cucumbers and tomatoes were not worth it by weight unless they were in season.

Fruit - apples and bananas were a good deal and lasted. Forget berries or melons. Oranges were usually cheap, but never tasted like oranges.

Tuna was cheap then, but too salty.

Any milk or egg-based condiment was ridiculously priced and didn't keep well, so I learned to make my own dressings.

Spices were the price of two meals, so I only bought them when they were available at the dollar store.

Cheese food was popular. It seems to have gone away, but at the time it was the only affordable type of cheese.

Potatoes, onions, and carrots were my mainstay. Celery never made the cut.

by Anonymousreply 2009/16/2013

This is such bullshit. People ought to be infuriated. It doesn't only affect those who need the assistance. It affects the price we all pay for groceries. It steers people's buying habits by what is "allowed" and what is disallowed.

We need to raise hell. We need to also look at the number of people who are losing pensions or getting laid off from jobs, because they will be affected. More kids will go to school hungry. Poor nutrition affects learning.

WTF are we becoming. If the elderly need food stamps to survive, they'll get sick because they can't maintain their diets, or people with special needs like Diabetics and they will all require more medical care.

Fuck these damned politicians. We need to rise up and raise pure hell. The fact is someone always pays. All this bullshit about cutting or eliminating essential services or redefining essential services, all these bogus spending cuts, it's a fucking shell game. Someone always pays. Do they think we are stupid?

by Anonymousreply 2109/16/2013

R20 Tomatoes by weight aren't worth it out of season no matter what your budget is.

by Anonymousreply 2209/16/2013

Last year I was making about $1000/month at the crap job I had. I live with my father and I help out with the household bills, which I listed as rent on the food stamp application. I received about $115/month. I suppose if they wanted to, they could be even stricter about situations like mine, adults without dependents who live with family or roommates. I'm sure those are actually a small percentage of food stamp recipients.

I have a slightly less crappy job now, so no more food stamps.

On a side note, just two months after my food stamp application was approved, my reapplication for expanded medicaid coverage was denied, and I listed about the same income for both. The healthcare was more valuable to me than the food stamps.

by Anonymousreply 2309/16/2013

Just in from the Free Republic site, OP? You can leave anytime you want.

by Anonymousreply 2409/16/2013

On the one hand, we need to cut our budget for wars, capital gains tax breaks, corporate welfare, factory farm subsidies, and Congress benefits/pensions long before we nickle and dime poor people. On the other hand, these Food Stamp diet articles are all dishonest.

It's called SUPPLEMENTARY assistance. It's not supposed to cover all of your food bill. It's supposed to *supplement* your own spending.

If you can pay your whole food bill with supplementary assistance alone, then bully for you. But if it doesn't cover all expenses, that's to be expected, not written about by faux journalists as some sort of earth-shattering discovery. Of course a SUPPLEMENT needs to be added to something else to make a complete budget. That's what god damn supplementary assistance is.

by Anonymousreply 2509/16/2013

Yes, R25, but the criterion for eligibility, which varies from state to state, makes it impossible for someone who is "income eligible" to view Food Stamps as merely "supplemental."

by Anonymousreply 2609/16/2013

EBT = Eat Better Tonight

Histrionics aside, people on food stamps eat pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 2709/16/2013

SNAP = [bold]Supplemental[/bold] Nutrition Assistance Program. It is meant to supplement the money you are already spending on food.

by Anonymousreply 2809/16/2013

How does that little per month add up to eating "pretty well," R27?

by Anonymousreply 2909/16/2013

No problem!

by Anonymousreply 3009/16/2013

Here ya go R2.

BTW, so called Progressive/Liberal Al Franken was one of the shameful 28 who voted to cut food stamps and just a couple of weeks a ago he voted to go to war.

"Shame on the 28 Democratic senators who voted to cut food stamps!"

by Anonymousreply 3109/16/2013

How to find your Congress person

by Anonymousreply 3209/16/2013

How to find your Senator(s)

by Anonymousreply 3309/16/2013

Al Franken is an elitist cunt. Him, Al Franken.

by Anonymousreply 3409/16/2013

You're preaching to the choir, R21.

R20, that's good info for anyone here who might need Food Stamps. God, I wonder how they do it, surviving on so little.

For the person who said it's supposed to be supplemental, what a rip! It's true that income qualifications to get the money are so minimal that SNAP recipients don't have an extra dollar to spend on food. "Supplemental" is how the government can assuage its guilt (and make citizens feel okay) about providing a starvation diet to those in need.

The lower your income, the fewer food discounts you get. I just bought half a small grass fed/grass finished cow for $735. The farmer threw in the soup bones, suet, tongue, kidneys, heart and liver for free. Not including all the extras, I paid $4.29/lb for my meat, which includes all the best cuts as well. An organic tenderloin at the store is $28/lb. Simply because I had the money up front (and a chest freezer), I can eat tremendously better, and at a significantly discounted price than people living on the edge.

When poor, food is way more expensive and provides much less food (and quality/nutrition). Food savings come when you can afford to stock up when prices are low, buying in bulk, storing food, etc. I'm the queen of negotiating cost savings through buying by the case, making my own, etc. Couldn't do that if I only had $200/month for food.

by Anonymousreply 3509/16/2013

Someone was joking (I thought) on another thread about how DL hates the poor and disabled. This thread proves that's true.

by Anonymousreply 3609/16/2013

[quote] SNAP = Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. It is meant to supplement the money you are already spending on food.

And if you have NO job, NO unemployment benefits coming in, and get a whopping $185 a month from General Relief, you can't even pay rent, let alone buy food. The $200 a month of food money you get (not SNAP for GR recipients) goes farther than the $185.

by Anonymousreply 3709/16/2013

Great post R35. Thank you for it.

by Anonymousreply 3809/16/2013

In NY state most single people with low incomes can and do get Medicaid and food stamps.

When my friend on Medicaid initially applied, the social worker told him, "Provide the least amount of information as possible, instead of adding what you have in a bank account or your retirement savings from your last job, just put what you have in your checking. Sure, they are checking somewhat, after all they do require your Social Security number. Unless you have ton of money in a bank account, you will most likely get Medicaid.

There are so many people now on Medicad, they certainly don't do extremely thorough checking, Of course, don't outright lie."

He continued, "These programs are no longer asset based as they were in the past, they are now income based. You can own house worth a lot of money, but as long as it's paid for or your mortgage is not over $1000 and make a low salary, you can get Medicaid. Years ago, you had to be close to being homeless to get Medicaid and food stamps. You couldn't own a house or a co-op/condo and apply for Medicaid, today you can. But your mortgage, maintenance or rent cannot be more than $1000 a month. You can also own a car."

It took a few months, but my friend was accepted for Medicaid and food stamps. He was lucky he still had few months on his former health insurance plan at that point because he was paying for it out of pocket and he had pre-paid.

He doesn't take advantage of the other programs such as the free phone and low cost landline phone programs, his reasoning is that having health insurance and the the SNAP food stamp card is much more important than a free crappy cell phone, not to mention, the more programs you sign up for, the more you are scrutinized. The social worker also told him that, less is better.

There's a ton of scammers here in NY state, like the Russian immigrants in Brooklyn who really take advantage of Medicaid. An entire Russian community was busted in Long Island a few months ago for welfare fraud.

One Russian family owned lots of real estate, they also owned several homes they rented out and they were living in home worth a million! Meanwhile they collected food stamps and were on Medicaid! The balls of some people, it's incredible. The social worker also told my friend,,"Most welfare fraud here in NY state seems to be perpetuated by immigrants."

These thieving idiots make it bad for people who truly need to be on Medicaid and food stamps.

My friend was lucky to get Medicaid, a few months after getting Medicaid, he was diagnosed with cancer. Thankfully, he didn't need chemo or radiation, but he was extremely grateful he had health insurance.

by Anonymousreply 3909/16/2013

To antagonize R39, friends in Indiana have it the other way around. Your assets can't exceed $1000 and you had better not own a car. This is a state with no public transportation. Don't own a car in Indiana. Don't own any real property in Indiana.

They have poor people who can't afford to move out of state simply because they have no money.

by Anonymousreply 4009/16/2013

[quote] Of course here in NYC, I see non-whites using their EBT cards at the deli for junk food

You do know that EBT cards are not just for "food stamp" money, right?

by Anonymousreply 4209/16/2013

You use EBT for cold food so yes some people shop at the deli.

My sister qualifies for EBT. She works but all her money goes towards living expenses. She is no longer able to treat her children to even the dollar menu at McDonalds so as a treat once a month they will get subs from a deli. However, this means that she makes a sacrifice by eating Ramon noodles for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 4309/16/2013

[quote] by eating Ramon noodles for lunch.

Who is Ramon Noodles?

by Anonymousreply 4409/16/2013

I thought R7 was an asshole, but then I got to R41. What a piece of shit that guy is.

by Anonymousreply 4709/16/2013

I don't see the problem with R41's post. Most, if not all, of what he says is on-target. Obesity is a huge epidemic amongst, well all Americans, but especially the poor. More fruits and veggies and less potato chips and soda will do everyone some good.

by Anonymousreply 4809/16/2013

[quote] I see non-whites using their EBT cards at the deli for junk food, and I'm CERTAIN these same people ALL have cable tv and smartphones,

R41 you are a racist and I assume a perv if you are following these people home and looking in their windows.

by Anonymousreply 4909/16/2013

R41, what else do you see these "non-whites" doing? Please share your thoughts, as you clearly spend a lot of time keeping tabs on what those "non-whites" are doing.

by Anonymousreply 5009/16/2013

How is this an observation of fact?

[quote]I see non-whites using their EBT cards at the deli for junk food, and I'm CERTAIN these same people ALL have cable tv and smartphones, and it's probably true they get Medicaid, so think of the savings on healthcare!

The more you talk, the less you sound like a "huge lefty liberal."

by Anonymousreply 5209/16/2013

Wow... R53 and R54 are projecting something fierce... and spouting shit that is the exact opposite of true.

by Anonymousreply 5509/16/2013

Yes, R55, although your inaccurate use of Freudian concepts undermines your point.

by Anonymousreply 5609/16/2013

Nothing inaccurate about projection... they're blaming others for what they themselves are guilty of... blaming Democrats/Liberals for what Republicans/Conservatives do. That's classic projection.

by Anonymousreply 5709/16/2013

R41, how is someone's non-whiteness at all relevant to food stamps? Just curious. I didn't understand your meaning.

Now on to junk food. Many people hold your view that food stamps should only be allowed to purchase what they think is healthy food. The fact is food stamps does not pay enough for people to eat healthy food, particularly not the average person. You should read the blog (it's not long) of the SF chef who ate on food stamps for a week. He cheated left and right with wine and gifts of fresh produce and bread, and still found it difficult to stay within budget, making tasty food. He felt hungry a lot and became stressed out.

If you have ever in your life eaten poorly (i.e. junk food or not perfectly healthy food) due to feeling tired, overwhelmed, or stressed, then you have a beginning understanding of what food stampers experience on a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly basis. But their stress is ongoing, and they do what they can do. Do I wish I could spearhead a program teaching low income people healthier ways to find and prepare food? Yes. Do I think I'd have many takers? No. They are stressed already, barely keeping up with life.

Our society is not set up to truly help them. The last thing I want to do is castigate them for food choices, whether they are white or non-white. I also don't wish to control them, because I too don't wish to be controlled.

R41, I challenge you to live, just for one week, on a food stamp budget. Just one week. Do you have the courage to do it?

by Anonymousreply 5809/16/2013

It should be noted that every Dem that voted against increasing benefits for the needy is a blue-dog DINO who needs to seem Repub to keep their seat. Nelson, Landreau, et al, champions of the poor? They never were.

Agrred that Al Franken is a special kind of shit- sucking liar who only cares about money going into his pocket. No wonder his former comedy partner and empathetic human being, Tom Davis, hates him now.

by Anonymousreply 5909/16/2013

R41, you have no clue. For many whatever people get in food stamps is all they have to spend for food.

If you are collecting unemployment or trying to make it on an $8 an hour retail job where your hours vary from week to week, with no hope of a full time week, all of that money goes to rent, utilities, bus fare etc.

What pisses me off is that people who have no fucking idea what it is like to be poor think they are fucking experts at it.

Nobody questions all the money we give to corporations in the form of tax breaks and subsidies etc., but everybody sure as hell if somebody on foodstamps buys a package of HoHos.

by Anonymousreply 6009/16/2013

Why don't people just get jobs?

by Anonymousreply 6109/16/2013

Here's what the racist at R41 wrote on another thread.

Listen up, you poor, non-whites. It's just this easy:

[quote]I make my own vegetable and chicken stocks from trimmings and chicken parts, so I always have that on hand. I bought green lentils months ago, and had half a large onion, and an about to wilt carrot on hand. I sauteed these with fresh garlic, curry powder and found a small grilled chicken breast I had cooked two days ago. I mixed in the lentils cooked in the really flavorful vegetable stock, and had an amazing chicken lentil salad. I didn't spend much on any single ingredient. Three big servings (one for lunch today), and it couldn't have cost more than $2 bucks to put together!

by Anonymousreply 6209/16/2013

What, poor people don't shop at Whole Foods?

by Anonymousreply 6309/17/2013

Food stamps sound like a good those pills the Jetsons ate.

by Anonymousreply 6409/17/2013

Well, I think it is just terrible to make all of those miserable poor people eat stamps---would it have been impossible to supply a few envelopes for dessert?

by Anonymousreply 6609/17/2013

A hearty FF for R67 and an ice cold Jeff Stryker dildo up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 6809/17/2013

As far as R68 goes, I smell failure.

by Anonymousreply 6909/17/2013

R58 I found the link. His name is Karl Wilder and you can read it here. I am guessing this is an archive site.

by Anonymousreply 7009/17/2013

And this is the more difficult link as he tried to do it 'as a diabetic' in Harlem in the winter. This chef has compassion.

by Anonymousreply 7109/17/2013

Thanks for the link R70. I admire what that chef did.

by Anonymousreply 7209/17/2013

I think R41's heart is in the right place, in regards to healthy, fresh food. However, his casual racism is a real turn-off. He's old enough to know better.

by Anonymousreply 7309/17/2013

Thank you all for posting and sharing your ideas and opinions. It's all very appreciated.

If anyone has called their representatives in the Congress or Senate and you have the time can you please post what the response was.

Thank you all again, very much, especially those of you who prove DL posters have so much compassion.

by Anonymousreply 7409/17/2013

If R41 and the rest who feel people shouldn't get Food Stamps and that the 'real problem' is that junk food rather than fruit, veggies and grains are bought THEN DO WHAT I DID.

I'm at R9 and I actually tried to make a menu plan based on the new Food Stamp guidelines that no meal should cost over 79 cents. R41 and others, let's see you try to do the same. (The spices and stuff R41 suggests isn't going to leave much to cover 3 squares.

Prove your point instead of simply put the poor down. No one wants to live in poverty.

by Anonymousreply 7509/17/2013

Exactly, R75. It infuriates me that people don't express more outrage, and really raise hell about what's going on. Certain things are completely unacceptable, and we are foolish if we think it doesn't affect us.

We all pay. There's not a single situation or policy decision that affects "the poor" that doesn't affect us all. We all end up paying. In fact I prefer to use the term economic distress.

When you say "the poor" you separate them from the rest of us, almost objectifying them. At some point in our lives we may all find ourselves in economic distress.

I was significant when CNN's John King spoke up about his family being on food stamps when he was growing up, because his father became ill and could not work.

His family subsisted on food stamps for two years. He was unapologetic and made his comments in reaction to something Mitt Romney said during the campaign.

by Anonymousreply 7609/17/2013

If you can't see that anecdotal evidence about non-whites is at its core racist. Well then go cozy up with fag hating Rush Limbaugh.

See if you can suck his cock enough to make him like you.

Andrew Sullivan can give you some tips.

by Anonymousreply 7709/17/2013

R9/R75 you did such and amazing job trying to figure out what could be eaten. Sadly you found out how just about impossible it is, especially for a diabetic. I’m so proud of you for trying. What you said, “No one wants to live in poverty” is what so many, especially on the right, can’t understand. They think people are purposely not working so they can have a big $1.30 (89 cents after November) for a meal or less than $6,000.00 a year to live on if you’re poor, disabled and on SSI. This is to live without being able to afford to do laundry or buy toilet paper. No one in their right mind would want to live that way and if they are not in their right mind than they are truly disabled.

R76, you have expressed what’s in my heart. Where is the outrage? Do people have any moral compass left? What’s become of this country? Did Reagan do such a good job of demonizing the poor (actually I will start using “economically distressed,” that is a much fairer thing to say) that hatred for the economically distressed has reached new and terrifying heights.

Unless a person if very, very rich or has very, very rich family and/or friends that you know will take care of you for the rest of your life if necessary, something like needing SNAP can happen to anyone, all it takes is the loss of job, the lack of being able to find another job, an accident, a severe illness or many other unexpected situations and anyone can find him or herself in need of every kind of government program.

I read an article the other day that said there is little political caring for the poor these days, not even caring from most democrats. They will all talk about the middle class but most act like they’d sooner cut their throats than talk about those living in extreme poverty, especially those who are too old, sick or disabled to ever be able to work. They are invisible to Democrats and hated by the Republicans.

I wish I knew how to inspire people to care again. Your post and some other posts here do my heart good that at least there are still some people who care about the suffering of others.

I know if Congress people and Senators heard from many of their constituents it might make a difference and change the political climate but most won’t do it. Even then who knows? This has become a country that thinks giving a couple of trillion to the top 1% is a great thing and giving someone who’s hungry a little something to eat is a disgrace. How do you change that kind of mindset? I don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 7809/17/2013

R59 is full of it!

BTW,Tom Davis has been dead for over a year!

by Anonymousreply 7909/17/2013

[quote]My point is that people who benefit from the SNAP program and others are usually painted as blacks and hispanics in seat pants dragging a couple of kids ,and using their food stamps to buy crap food like soda, chips, and other garbage which they hand to their kids. I never see white people do this, which is just my reality. I hate when people feed into what nasty stereotypes paint them as, but acting like this. NOW I get why the stereotype exists, it can be easily observed!

What the fuck are you rambling on about?

[quote]You sound naive and over-protected. I imagine your parents still pay your rent, and didn't let you take out any student loans. Get real. I'm not sure you would understand actual racism if it fell on you.

You sound like an out-of-touch, elderly racist.

by Anonymousreply 8209/18/2013

What do food stamps taste like anyway?

by Anonymousreply 8309/18/2013

Do you follow every person in the grocery store/deli/large pharmacy to see what they buy and how they pay for it?

My crap job that paid so little I qualified for SNAP was, of all places, a supermarket in the NYC area. I'm not going to pretend that my small sample size was representative of all SNAP recipients' buying habits, but those customers were of various races/ethnicities (even some white people) and they bought a range of products. There may have been a few "stereotypes", but most did not load up on junk; I even remember a few regulars who used their food stamps on a whole lot of produce (some of it organic).

Within NYC, there probably are more non-whites than whites on food stamps, but nationwide, more white people are on food stamps.

by Anonymousreply 8409/18/2013

I'm not a big soda drinker or junk food eater, never have been. It's not for healthy reasons, I simply don't care for them. I have zero interest in telling other people not to drink soda or eat chips and junk food. It's not my place to impose my tastes and preferences in food on others. It's not R41's or the government's place either.

Our job, as ethical and compassionate people, is to make sure that those who cannot afford to feed themselves and their families have a food stamp program that provides enough for them to eat the diet of their choosing.

That's it - no nanny-bullshit attached, no prohibited food and beverage items. I wouldn't bar alcohol either but the puritans have already done it, the vicious bastards. If I were that poor, I'd certainly appreciate a good stiff drink from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 8509/18/2013

The number of citizens receiving food stamps has gone from 27 million in January 2008 to almost 48 million in June 2013 - not far from doubled in 5 years. This is an unsustainable growth pattern yet the government recruits more and more people to be on assistance.

Many need assistance but there is a lot of waste and corruption in this program. Politicians who support keeping the level of benefits received by an individual steady while actively reducing the amount of people receiving assistance should receive support.

by Anonymousreply 8609/18/2013

R85 is correct.

As for this guy, he sounds more and more like a tea partier every time he posts:

[quote]Do you like paying for programs which don't always serve the desired populations and achieve less than stellar outcomes?

by Anonymousreply 8709/18/2013

It has nothing to do with waste and corruption. It has to do with literally starving people in order to force them to "get a job." But there isn't enough work to go around as it is, so to demand that everyone in the U.S. be entirely self-sufficient is not only cruel but incredibly unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 8809/18/2013

I should try. I need to lose a lot of weight.

by Anonymousreply 8909/18/2013

Well said R88

R89, yeah you'll lose weight -- right into the grave.

by Anonymousreply 9109/18/2013

I vote and of course I have thought about these issues. I have absolutely zero tolerance for your sanctimonious, control-freak bullshit.

Do you really want to "improve the system" for poor people? Raise the income level for food stamps and increase the food stamp benefit amount. That is what will actually help struggling families make ends meet. Spend more time fighting for that and less time force-feeding poor people what you want to eat, you complete and utter asshole.

by Anonymousreply 9209/18/2013

Sister Simone (from Nuns on the Bus) talks about Food Stamps on tonight's Politics Nation.

by Anonymousreply 9309/18/2013

Now, now, R49 and R50, he is just following the George Zimmerman school of thought.

by Anonymousreply 9409/18/2013

[quote]Are you the same person who called me a racist for implying that your parents still coddle you and pay your rent?! I'm still trying to wrap my head around the inherent racism of that!

Do you still not get why people are calling you a racist?

by Anonymousreply 9509/19/2013

I am on food stamps, or EBT. I get $158 a month in the great state of Texas for 2 people.

How do you survive on this? Well I go shopping once a month. Forget any brand names. I have my sister take me so she can use her daughter's discount card so it is all HEB brand foods.

I will give you a typical menu: no breakfast or lunch. You learn to live without food. And no sides, can't afford sides.

Monday Spaghetti and sauce (generic kind $2) Tuesday Mushroom Potatoes--potatoes and mushroom soup Wednesday Hot Dogs w maybe hash browns. A friend gave me 2 giant bags of hash browns she got from the food bank. Thursday cereal (good for dinners) Friday pot pie (only 50 cents each) Saturday splurge on shake and bake chicken drumsticks Sunday Dinty Moore beef stew (only kind I like). If I have some extra, I tear up some bread to add to it.

Monday chicken and dumplings (in the can, very cheap) Tuesday tuna (Starkist as it's the only kind that never has bones) w sweet onions (when you weigh them, use the code for the yellow ones) Wednesday scallop potatoes boxed Thursday hamburger helper generic Friday splurge on Stouffer's lasagna Saturday hamburger helper again. The 3 pound roll so might as well use it. Saturday pizza splurge (Digornio) for my son, cereal for me. Sunday shells and cheese

Monday ravioli Tuesday hamburger helper (last of the roll) Wednesday liver, surprising cheap. Thursday spaghetti and sauce Friday mushroom potatoes Saturday Salisbury steak, the off brand frozen kind Sunday bacon for me, sausage for him

Monday lasagna from Stouffers (they usually have coupons so I get them a lot) Tuesday shake and bake chicken Wednesday stew beef, cooked in the crock pot Thursday peppers, mushrooms, and onions Friday potatoes (Au gratin in box for me, loaded baked potato flavored for him) Saturday potpie for me, pizza for him Sunday spaghetti and sauce

Extra: gallon of milk with the latest expiration date sugar for tea tea ice cream (our indulgence)

This comes to about $150 a month so I have a little extra in case I need more milk or run out of a condiment or something.

Yeah it's not nutritionally sound but it works. And I have lost 50 pounds so it has an added side benefit.

My son does have peanut butter and jelly and ramen for lunch and will eat cereal for breakfast. I can live as I said on one meal a day but he has trouble doing it. But then it used to be worse before the food stamps when I was on $25 a week so hey, $40 a week is boss.

And yes I work. Payday goes to rent, electric, phone and internet (I work at home so I need it for my job), supplemental stuff like toilet paper, etc.

So can you do it? Yes you can but if I could chose not too and get off them and afford to eat? In a heartbeat.

PS: I wrote this while looking in my cabinets and fridge. This is my real food inventory in my house. Add condiments and a couple of spices and this is it.

by Anonymousreply 9609/19/2013

Today, Republicans in the House voted to cut 40 billion dollars from Food Stamps. Never in my live have I ever known such a war on the poor. These same House Republicans voted for huge tax cuts for corporations that never pay the US a dime in taxes. So this country will actually owe them money come tax time. That is where your tax dollars will go.

by Anonymousreply 9709/19/2013

Let them eat cake!!!

by Anonymousreply 9809/19/2013

R96, some free advice: Steal the toilet paper from the university library.

by Anonymousreply 9909/20/2013

R96 that is the most depressing fucking post ever. The food sounds disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 10009/20/2013

R96 post is also an indication of how reliant low income people are on processed foods with low nutritional value, high sodium content, and lots of chemicals & preservatives as well as carbs.

So, while they can get by on one meal a day, the long term costs, in terms of their health, will eventually come back not only to them, but to taxpayers. Poor nutrition also affects a child's learning ability. No one should have to live like this.

by Anonymousreply 10109/20/2013

R41, you're about as "lefty liberal" as Sarah Palin.

Why did you need to mention the "non-whites" using EBT cards? What does their race have to do with it? Do you know that the vast majority of people on public assistance in the US are white?

by Anonymousreply 10209/20/2013

Right you are R102, and they are mostly from red states. They also must be incredibly stupid since most of them vote for the very Republicans who want to take away what little they have. The tragedy is they take all that need help down with them.

by Anonymousreply 10309/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 10409/20/2013

No one can eat healthy on $4.00 a day, period. This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous.

They should be petitioning the SNAP program to increase food money, not making fun of its failures.

by Anonymousreply 10509/20/2013

You're correct R105. But the they has to become us. If those in the Congress and Senate were bombarded by constituents calling their offices, emailing and snail mailing them you could bet they'd be trying to help the hungry instead of hurting them.

by Anonymousreply 10609/20/2013

Most posters on this thread, especially R41, clearly have no idea what it's like to be hungry.

by Anonymousreply 10709/20/2013

Most people who are for cutting benefits like SNAP don't understand that they could need such assistance tomorrow. In fact, denying others helps reinforces one's own idea that life is completely under control, there is no such thing as unfairness or bad luck. Just go get a job like me, you don't have to starve.

Do you really think that most people on SNAP want to be on it?

Let me be blunt. THERE ARE VERY FEW JOBS RIGHT NOW. Many of the available jobs do not pay living wages. Working does not equal enough to live for many people, no matter how hard you work. Do we punish these people because some might try to scam the system?

Your life, independence, self of self worth is fragile whether you realize it or not. They can be swiped from you in a heartbeat through no fault of your own. And if they are, you will be outraged because people blame you and want to punish you.

by Anonymousreply 10809/20/2013

R41 is so old and out of touch, he doesn't even have a clue.

by Anonymousreply 10909/21/2013

R106 You have it exactly right. These ignorant people think: "This couldn't happen to me because I'm more hardworking than these people who just want to live off of the government, so I'll always have a job." Then, if they manage to somehow grasp the fact that people just like them are losing their jobs left and right while the cost of living soars ever higher, they start a new line of "better than" thinking in which they convince themselves that still and all dammit, these people still don't have to resort to Food Stamps. If they manage to ever get beyond that and accept the fact that some people -- like single parents who society magically expects to both work and look after their children and these same people waste the taxpayer's or government money on junk foods. The reality of course is like R96 says. Thanks for your post R96 and I hope things get better for you and your son.

by Anonymousreply 11009/21/2013

We all pay the costs for poor nutrition and for the callous nature of our politicians. Real dollars. We have to demand that Washington stop using the vulnerable as a political football.

Hopefully, this thing is going to blow up in the GOP's face and none too soon. The fact is, this country has been thru a very rough 8-10 years. There are millions of people who, thru no fault of their own, have needed and may still need public assistance and SNAP.

So, for the GOP to stigmatize those in need and start cutting programs like this, is not going to play well. I hope in 2014, we route these bastards and may they never hold public office again.

by Anonymousreply 11109/21/2013

R96 Does you area have a free breakfast and lunch program in your childs school? I would think that that would help stretch your food budget.

by Anonymousreply 11209/21/2013

The military wastes 34% of the federal budget. The budget allotted to food stamps is only 3.2%.

The OP is a criminal psychopathic psy-oper who will tell you that cyanide gas is really just Glade air fresher.

Let's call the cut to food stamps for what it is--genocide. GENOCIDE. The rich want you dead. Most of the mass genocides on this planet were mass starvations. 65 million people in the old USSR and 80 million in maoist China died due to the leaders exporting most of the food overseas, starving the poor and disadvantage (like US food stamp users). 5.2 million people died in 19th century Ireland due to the British Crown exporting most of the home-grown food overseas.

One of the real reasons why food stamps are being cut back is that US agribusiness wants to export the food oversea for more profit. You are those Russian, those Chinese, those Irish who died to make money for the rich and powerful.

And if there is a Hell, I hope the OP goes there as soon as possible.

by Anonymousreply 11309/21/2013

[quote]Do you really want to "improve the system" for poor people? Raise the income level for food stamps and increase the food stamp benefit amount.

Uhm, of course I already SUGGESTED that! Unclench and read.

by Anonymousreply 11409/21/2013

[quote]Do you still not get why people are calling you a racist?

Yes, because I observed and dared mention something which conflicted with their rigid politically correct worldview, which blocks out everything they don't approve of or acknowledge.

by Anonymousreply 11509/21/2013

It might, some, R12, but it won't do anything to help the hungry elderly and disabled adults.

BTW, having less than a dollar a meal is already a bill passed by the Senate and approved by those 28 Democrats and will begin November 1st. If there are further cuts close to 4 million (mostly adults without kids) will lose their food stamps completely and those that keep them will end up with probably about 50 cents a meal.

In his speech today Obama could have used his bully pulpit to show moral outrage at this. As usual he said nothing. If they can't donate and if he and other Democrats believe they don't vote, their suffering doesn't count.

The only way their suffering will count is if Senators and Congress men and women hear from those in their area who they know will vote and might donate.

by Anonymousreply 11609/21/2013

Me Me Me Me. I can. Look at me. Over here. Look at me.

by Anonymousreply 11709/21/2013

[quote]Yes, because I observed and dared mention something which conflicted with their rigid politically correct worldview, which blocks out everything they don't approve of or acknowledge.

Dared? How brave you are to snoop on "non-whites" and then wildly speculate on how they live the rest of their life based on the 15 seconds you spent staring at them.

by Anonymousreply 11809/21/2013

A soda costs about 85 cents in a machine. I cannot believe America has become a place where food for children must cost under a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 11909/21/2013

Oops I meant R108

by Anonymousreply 12009/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 12109/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 12209/23/2013

Genocide on the poor? What a novel idea!

by Anonymousreply 12309/23/2013

Here here R115!!!! Its time to take our country back!!

by Anonymousreply 12409/23/2013

I bought two links if Italian sausage at the supermarket butchers counter. I bought a box of penne pasta and a jar of ready-made tomato sauce.

Sausage - $2.40

Penne - 1.89

Jar of sauce - $2.49

Total: $6.78

I will get 3-4 meals out of this.

by Anonymousreply 12509/23/2013

Even if you get 4 meals out of that R125, it still comes to about $1.70 a meal. That's more than those on Food stamps have to spend right now. By next month it will be way more than those on food stamps have to spend per meal, almost twice as much.

BTW, if it's white and not whole wheat penne and if the jar of sauce or the sausage has HFCS in it, which most do, that would be a terrible meal for poor diabetics. It would also be a terrible meal for anyone who has to watch his or her sodium, like anyone with some kinds of heart or kidney problems.

by Anonymousreply 12609/23/2013

[quote]Here here [R115]!!!! Its time to take our country back!!

I can only hope this teabagger is kidding.

by Anonymousreply 12709/23/2013

Just read that it cut $40 BILLION from the food stamp program, how many fucking people are on food stamps? Cut back on the managers, not the people imho. Way too many managers and overhead on this thing.

by Anonymousreply 12809/24/2013

Good idea R128. We should force all potential recipients of food stamps fly to Washington, DC at their expense for a few days to qualify for the program in person, rather at some local place near where they live. That would save a lot of money. Thanks for the idea!

by Anonymousreply 12909/24/2013

"It's awesome"

by Anonymousreply 13009/24/2013

Someone should take a bat to that shiny black car some night.

by Anonymousreply 13109/24/2013

R125, Italian sausage is not healthy.

Jars of sauce are not healthy.

by Anonymousreply 13209/24/2013

R126 and R132 are correct. BTW, re Food Stamps there is no such thing as "politically correct" as the ones with zero empathy (or brains) are saying, but about being correct. The correct, or right, thing to do re: Food Stamps is to realize the gap between the haves and have nots is growing and the WORKING poor are hungrier than ever. Stop all this vague crap about "taking our country back" and realize you are no better than the poor and you could lose your job, house etc. too and end up needing Food Stamps yourself one day. It's embarrassing to see such arrogance and lack of empathy for others.

by Anonymousreply 13309/24/2013

It is beyond arrogance and lack of empathy I think it is hate.

by Anonymousreply 13409/24/2013

One of the best books I've ever read is Barbara Ehrenreich's "Nickel and Dimed." She spent a year or so working at several minimum wage jobs--waiting tables, cleaning houses, clerking at big box stores. Not only were the wages terrible, but most of the bosses she had were a**holes.

by Anonymousreply 13509/24/2013

This weekend I wanted "comfort food". This dish would fit into several ethnic groups and is cheap to make!

1 head of organic green cabbage $2 1 onion .50 2 lb package of pork shoulder, cut up (on sale, in the marked down meat section, it was absolutely fine) $2

For $4.50 I ate SIX fairly large servings. This could have easily fed a family.

No HFCS, no crap.

by Anonymousreply 13609/24/2013

How nice for you R136. If only poor people lived under your exact circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 13709/24/2013

What dish is that, R136? Cabbage-n-crap?

by Anonymousreply 13809/24/2013

Remember r36, that here on the DL, suggesting helpful solutions at all , or point out when things don't work or are abused, it will get you called "racist", "elitist", and certainly "unhelpful". Though when we have an "Inexpensive Recipes" thread, you will be treated very nicely for your good suggestions!

Many poor and working poor people walk dogs, clean houses, visit soup kitchens, and get groceries at food banks. That's how they manage to survive at all. In NYC, I see elderly Chinese people going through the trash in the huge high-rises when they put out the recyclables, and collect the deposit bottles. I hear in that culture it is a very important thing for every person in a family to contribute, even the elderly.

Although I am certainly not recommending these things as national policy, it is what actual people do when in dire need for food sources. They don't sit down with a pad and paper and try to devise menus for $1.39 a day!

by Anonymousreply 13909/25/2013

R139, now you're not even making sense.

Clearly you're retired, because you sure have a lot of extra time to keep notes on what all the "non-whites" are doing.

On top of that, you haven't suggested one "helpful solution" to anything.

by Anonymousreply 14009/25/2013

But R139 we might have used bottle wars if everyone went for them, it could end up like drug wars with people fighting over deposit money.

by Anonymousreply 14109/25/2013

Absolutely, R101. When I was on stamps back about 17 years ago, when they were still pieces of "Monopoly money" paper and not a card, I lived on cruddy, salty, low-nutrition food. Two cans of $1 store brand chili plus one 50-cent can of diced tomatoes to cut the processed taste was food for three days. Hot dogs, ramen, corn dogs, store brand spaghetti sauce with fake meat flavoring, that's all I ate.

by Anonymousreply 14209/25/2013

What the short-sighted moral crusaders don't realize is that this will affect the entire society, not just "force poor people to not be lazy." With people having less money, less food will be sold, which will raise food prices across the board. People desperate for money will do desperate things, none of them good. Poor people will become more prone to illness, raising medical costs for everyone.

And how many of us really have the discretionary income nowadays to give to charities and food banks to help people who need it? We're already paying taxes to fund all manner of wasteful, unnecessary things, now we have to give more of our income just to make sure kids in our community don't go hungry, because jackasses like Al Franken don't think our tax dollars should do it. No no, tax dollars are for WAR.

It's insanity. Our entire country has gone insane.

by Anonymousreply 14309/25/2013

Excellent post R143, absolutely excellent and true. Eventually all of us will suffer in ways from higher prices to maybe paying with our life when the desperation of hunger spreads, especially as people watch their kids get hungrier and sicker. The elderly will have to resort to shoplifting raising prices for all. Are they going to have special jails to hold all the hungry and sick 80 and 90 year old.

You've brought up important points. These are some points I will use when I make my calls to my political representatives this week. Those were points I didn't think of last week.

It's so tragic that Obama is not using his bully pulpit but I guess he doesn't want to point out that it is Senate Democrats like that SOB Franken who have cut food stamps first.

by Anonymousreply 14409/25/2013

R144 It's great that you're passionate about this issue, but don't get carried away. It's ridiculous to say that "the elderly will have to resort to shoplifting raising prices for all." Stick with the facts and stay grounded. Most older people who haven't been thieves before aren't going to start now. No we're not "going to have special jails to hold all the hungry and sick 80 and 90 year olds."

Put down the Les Miserables novel and DVD!

by Anonymousreply 14509/27/2013

[quote]On top of that, you haven't suggested one "helpful solution" to anything.

Oh, but I did, eons ago. Continue using Trolldar on me , and you will see my suggestions, unless you are so blinded by your crazed shrieking hatred of me.

I suggested that the cash SNAP amounts available to eligible people be RAISED, and that allowable foods for subsidized purchase avoid junk food.

You are obsessed with your own purity, and of course can't suggest anything, so rabid are you in my defamation!

Once and for all, I don't have to "spy" on people who are standing at the counter at the bodega shoulder to shoulder with me. I guess you have all your groceries delivered by Fresh Direct, and avoid contact with the "rabble", huh? Have you ever observed ANYTHING except by "spying"? You sound exhausting and dramatic. clearly you have a lot of time on your hands to whine.

Your parents did you no favor.

by Anonymousreply 14609/27/2013

Try and use this supermarket circular to make a weeks worth of meals for 2 people (one a school age child) with only $40 to spend.

by Anonymousreply 14909/27/2013

It is bloody hard.

by Anonymousreply 15009/27/2013

R145, how many times have you seen the elderly driven by extreme hunger. Notice I didn't say starvation because unless there are more cuts it might not be what people technical starvation, but extreme hunger does things to people you can't imagine. It also without a doubt makes people sick and the already sick, sicker raising health care costs for everyone.

Many of the elderly don't even have Meals on Wheels to depend on anymore since that has been drastically cut due to the sequester and will be totally unfunded if there is a government shutdown.

Try going a week being extremely hungry and then wonder if maybe you would steal in order to eat. Now think about knowing you are going to be that hungry for the rest of your life.

Come into the real world. People aren't only hungry and living in extreme poverty in films.

by Anonymousreply 15109/27/2013

R151 FYI, I'm 52 and now lucky enough to be living with a relative and eating well, but last year I *was* starving living in a trailer park in an old motor home with just a space heater and no running water. My main food was peanut butter with some bread or crackers and what few vegetables or fruit and other foods like canned beans I could get. I did feel very hungry and desperate and thought I would live like that forever but NEVER ONCE did I consider stealing so just realized that not every starving person will do that. We feel that all we have is our values and principles. There are Food Banks and soup kitchens you know!!

I just spent the last hour and a half taking R149's food circular challenge and it wasn't easy. I'll post my results at a later time as it was so detailed and exhausting. I really see the necessity for food banks and I'm glad I've been donating to them while I've been living and eating well this past year. They need help not only during the holidays but all times of the year. Yes, there are hard working people starving. (BTW, during my trailer park starvation year, I worked the entire time including online freelancing work that was sometimes 10 hours a day to make very little since there is no 'minimum wage' set for online work.

by Anonymousreply 15209/28/2013

I can't believe r9, a diabetic, eats what he eats. Bananas? Whole wheat bread? Potatoes? Boxed mac and cheese?

If you're a real diabetic, those things aren't any part of your diet - besides the heavy carbs, they have a high glycemic index rate (ie, they released glucose into the bloodstream quickly, rather than at a steady rate)

by Anonymousreply 15309/28/2013

Oh ffs R153, you don't know everything. A "real diabetic"? Please. My dad has diabetes and regularly eats bananas and potatoes and his A1C is 4.7.

I suppose you're going to tell us 'the real truth' about gluten too.

Your little life isn't all there is.

by Anonymousreply 15409/28/2013

Isn't there a lot of abandoned food, though, in the dumpsters behind most grocery stores and fast food stores? Surely there is enough there to help stem hunger and fatigue.

by Anonymousreply 15509/28/2013

R152 We are waiting....

by Anonymousreply 15609/28/2013

I live well and have a good job but I wonder if I could eat with-in the food stamp budget.

I'm 60 and for my health and well being I eat fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, various grains, beans (dried or fresh that I cook myself...not canned), nuts and seeds. That's really about 85-90 percent of what I eat.

Only occasionally cheese, eggs and fresh fish. I often eat canned sardines, mackrel, and herring. Once in a while whole wheat pasta. I drink water, red wine and occasionally beer.

I cook for myself and I bring lunch to work. I eat no prepared foods, no canned foods (except for canned fish and canned tomatoes when they are out of season), no frozen foods.

I would never expect others to eat the way I do... but I think with a few adjustments I could eat to my liking on that food stamp budget.

BTW: eating the way I do, I'm in great health.

by Anonymousreply 15709/28/2013

The fresh produce alone would come to more than what you would get on food stamps. That's for GMO, pesticide filled produce. If you go organic you could eat for about one week out of the month.

by Anonymousreply 15809/28/2013

It's R152 here with the results of taking the challenge at R149.

I wish others here would do the same rather than weighing in "thinking" they can somehow eat healthily while those needing food stamps somehow don't have their great, all powerful healthy food planning ability!

It's bashing the poor very ignorantly, so at least try to plan $40 a week menus for 2 people before you spout off. R157, I'm looking directly at you right now. No matter what you "think" there's no way in hell that you would "eat to your liking with a few adjustments" on the Food Stamp diet unless the adjustments were a fully stocked pantry to start and extra money each week.

What I say carries more weight on the topic, since I did take the time to read the store special circular at R149 and accept the challenge to plan a week's worth of food for an adult and school-aged child for $40.

Okay, here's my experience doing this challenge:

BEFORE THE CHALLENGE *I felt that it would be difficult to properly feed 2 people on $40 a week, but I did think that by using inexpensive proteins and mostly vegetables and fruits that it could be done in terms of small portions for meals.

DURING THE CHALLENGE *I began by looking through the whole store flyer/circular. I listed all the foods I found to be the healthiest for the best price for the adult and child. This first list came out to $74.41 which was almost double the $40!!!

*The amount of the $74.41 list I had first made had the fresh produce at $24.16. Since I only had $40 for the week, I would not have enough proteins, grains and dairy with only $15.84 left of the $40 to spend for 2 people for 7 days, so I then cut the produce down to $16.21 and went on to planning the other food groups for the week.

*The next portion of the $40 when to grains, namely the rye bread, Carolina rice and Cream of Wheat in the flyer for a total of $9.97. These were the healthiest, most filling grains I could find in the flyer for the least cost per serving.

*So, with $16.21 for fresh produce and $9.97 for the grains, I'd spent $26.18 of the $40 weekly food stamp budget for 2 people. This left just $12.82 for everything else! Keep in mind that meal planning is supposed to mean breakfasts, lunches and dinners never even mind any snacks.

*When it came time to choosing proteins, I realized that I couldn't select much of the meats and poultry on sale because I wouldn't have enough money to buy the "family pack" size most of these came in. This is why you hear Food Stamp recipients say they must shop once a month, I realized.

*I note that I can still get a pack of about 6 chicken legs at $1.79 a pound instead of the family pack price of $1.59 a pound. But, after making an initial proteins list, I realize I need to take off the chicken legs (and their bones and skin) for the bag of Wholely cod which has no waste at $5.99 a pound and can make more meals. My original, and modest, proteins list is $23.83 -- again almost double what I have left -- $12.82, so I cut it way down again and decide on the pound of stew beef with the cod since celery and carrots are on sale and the stew can make many meals too. I add turkey bacon and cream cheese although they aren't the healthiest, because at only $1.30 and $2.50 respectively, they can also produce more meals and are much more affordable than chicken legs. I don't like that I can't buy 1/2 lb. of the sliced American cheese on sale for $2.50 for grilled cheese sandwiches, but it's out of budget. The cream cheese is the better option because it can be added to rice for filling dinners.

*Now, after an hour of grueling decision making that's beginning to give me a headache, I realize I have to go back and readjust my spending as I need $13.98 for the proteins. I adjust the "extras" list I'd made alongside everything else, when I realized that I'd need a jug of milk to go with the cream of wheat and provide needed nutrients for the child and adult, plus the list would require some potatoes and onions as well as bananas which are usually cheap.

by Anonymousreply 15909/28/2013

*1 lb. stew beef $3.99

*8oz. cream cheese $2.50

*1 pkg. turkey bacon $1.50

*1 lb. bag cod fillets $5.99

(Total for proteins: $13.98)

*3/4 lb. fresh grapes $1.87

*1 pkg. fresh celery hearts $2.50

*1/2 lb. fresh broccoli $ .50

*l lb. carrots $1.00

*1 lb. NY apples $1.00

*3 jumbo navel oranges $2.50

(Total for produce: $9.37)

*1 pkg. Cream of Wheat $2.99

*1 bag Carolina rice $3.99

*1 loaf rye bread (or get whole wheat more of it if cheaper) $2.99

(Total for grains: $9.97)

*Jug of milk $3.00

*Fresh potatoes $1.50

*Fresh onions $ .75

*Fresh bananas $1.40

Total for extras: $6.68

($13.98 + $9.37 + $9.97 + $6.68 = $40.00)

NOW THE WEEKLY MENUS USING THESE FOODS: (The flyer starts on Friday, so the menus start Friday night)

Dinner: Fried cod fillet/rice (cook extra for Sunday)celery sticks

Breakfast: Cream of Wheat w/small amount milk/1/4 - 1/2 an apple or orange each NOTE: THIS SAME BREAKFAST WOULD BE NEEDED EVERY SINGLE DAY unless Food Bank foods such as peanut butter, bread, eggs, other cereal etc. could be sourced. Also, the fruit would likely run out before the end of the week and some would be needed for lunches too.

Lunch: This is pathetic, but true -- without Food Bank help, or stocks already on hand in the home, there would be nothing really as all of the food I chose is planned for the rest of the week!

Dinner: Beef Stew w 1 slice bread (Thank God!!!)

Breakfast: See Saturday

Lunch: See Saturday

Dinner: Creamy Rice (Saute onions and celery and cook the broccoli. Add these to the reheated leftover rice from Friday and stir in half the container of cream cheese.)

Lunch: Cream cheese and cooked turkey bacon sandwich/small banana

Dinner: Heat up the beef stew

Lunch: See Saturday lunch

Dinner: Cod fillet/ mashed potatoes/ cooked sliced carrots

Lunch: Beef stew, bread, grapes

Dinner: Scalloped potatoes with a little turkey bacon (Make a pan enough for two dinners)

Lunch: have the last of the cod which would have to have been frozen -- cooked and used as sandwich filling / 1/2 orange

Dinner: The rest of yesterday's scalloped potato dish.

Breakfast and lunch: Lucky to be anything left. Really need more food and must spend $40 again when in reality at least $75 for two people for a week is needed!

Come on lazy asses, take this challenge like I did and stop "thinking" you can make it work, because you can't.

by Anonymousreply 16009/28/2013

Hey smartass, well dumbass, at R161 MOST PEOPLE "prefer to live on the I provide for myself diet." Children and MOST ADULTS aren't "professional victims" either. Unemployment and cost of living statistics are facts you seem to think could never apply to you. Whether you "prefer" them to or not, you could find yourself having to resort to low-paying work and working your ass off just to basically starve.

It happened to me and I used to be you so don't fool yourself, asshole. You've simply realized that the Food Stamp money isn't enough, so now you're just magically immune to ever having to use Food Stamps because it's your will and "preference." You're stuck in your own illusion.

by Anonymousreply 16209/28/2013

R159/160 thank you for the most amazing post. It was so well thought out and shows what can be done and also what misery it is for people on food stamps. I can imagine how much work you put into this. You seem to be a very intelligent and compassionate person. I wish most of the people in this country were like you. Seriously and no pun intended, you’ve given anyone who comes to this thread much food for thought.

R161, you are vile. I’m sure you truly believe every single person in this country can provide for themselves even if they are too sick, disabled or old to work and even if they can work but can’t find a job or that the only job they can find is minimum wage.

I’ll bet I’m not alone in hoping some day you end up on food stamps, but I have a feeling you have so much money that will never happen. I can only imagine how much pleasure you must take in knowing the poor elderly, children and disabled are going to get hungrier and hungrier.

by Anonymousreply 16309/28/2013

I volunteer at a local food bank and, all I can say, is that those of you who are so arrogant as to believe that they will never be in circumstances where help is needed, watch your back. In this economy, no matter how diligent your planning, your situation can be reversed in a minute. I've met people who thought they had it all together, a loaded savings account, a good job, etc., and one, yes only one, serious illness sent them over the edge. Yes, there may be the few who take advantage of the system, but don't judge based on these few. It's tragic what can happen to a person, and if you do not believe that circumstances can result in a comfortable cushion dissipating in a few short months, then you are in la-la-land about what's happening in the world.

by Anonymousreply 16409/28/2013

R164 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 16510/06/2013

Where is PoorGirl and her nasty formula for living on no money. Her posts were hysterical in the thread from 2011

by Anonymousreply 16610/06/2013

This is the last month before the cuts begin in November. Please, if your representatives in the Senate are Democrats, PLEASE contact them. Tell them they need to go along with Kristin Gillibrand's bill to stop the almost 5 billion dollars in cuts. The list of the 28 Democrats who voted for the cuts, therefore getting the bill to cut food stamps passed is on page one, near the top. If any of those 28 Democrats is your senator, please let them know what they did is cruel and you want it reversed.

On page one are also links on how to find out who your Senator is and how to contact him or her.

Those on food stamps are already going hungry. These are 58% people with full time minimum pay jobs. These are disabled and elderly people who have already had Meals on Wheels taken away from most of them. These are children. These are veterans, many of them disabled. Don't let them go hungrier without trying to fight for them.

by Anonymousreply 16710/06/2013

[quote]Those on food stamps are already going hungry.

Then why are they so fat?

by Anonymousreply 16810/06/2013

I don't know R168. I can't figure out why you're so stupid either.

Here's wishing you soon fall into poverty and get to find out for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 16910/06/2013

Fat because rice and pasta are cheap fruits and vegetables are expensive.

by Anonymousreply 17010/09/2013

[quote]I'm a huge lefty liberal and fully believe in the effectiveness of the SNAP program, but I too thought it was supposed to supplement a family's food budget? Of course here in NYC, I see non-whites using their EBT cards at the deli for junk food, and I'm CERTAIN these same people ALL have cable tv and smartphones, and it's probably true they get Medicaid, so think of the savings on healthcare! Still, I think there should be two changes to the SNAP program.

Someone doesn't know the meaning of the term "lefty liberal."

by Anonymousreply 17110/12/2013

BSP = Bigots' Sensory Perception

They "see" only "non-whites using their EBT cards at the deli for junk food" and are "CERTAIN that these same people ALL have cable TV and smartphones" of which the only way to be certain is to be able to see into their homes and pockets and is not possible for these bigots. Yes this is total BSP -- the exact opposite of lefty Liberalism.

by Anonymousreply 17210/12/2013

Tip for spices on a low budget:

I went grocery shopping on Friday for the healthiest foods I could find as my doctor just told me that if I didn't smarten up nutrition-wise, both heart disease and kidney disease are likely to be in my near future. Thank God for me that I'm not on Food Stamps because, even while trying to be frugal, the weekly foods for 2 people was $100 -- more than double what a FS recipient will have for 2. My tip though is to buy spices in bulk as my shopping including buying these in a few tablespoons of each in little plastic bags and most were under 25 cents. I bought ginger, cumin, cinnamon, bay leaves and the like to ditch the salt shaker once and for all. I sooo wish people on food stamps could get at least $100 a week as that is still very frugal for 2 people and should be the bare minimum allowed -- not $40 which is actually cruel and inhumane.

by Anonymousreply 17310/12/2013

You tell a low IQ Republican the fact that more white than people of color are on welfare and food stamps and they won't believe. I mean it's a fucking fact and they just won't believe it. They say it's lies made up by Obama or Liberals.

Reagan began the lie of the welfare queen and decades later so many, including some Democrats still believe this total racist, war on the poor bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 17410/12/2013

To clarify I don't really mean 'buy spices in bulk' per say -- but from the bulk serve yourself bins of spices in the supermarket but in small quantities -- like a few tablespoons or less. They have little clear plastic bags for this and spices don't keep their flavors for long anyway.

by Anonymousreply 17510/12/2013

Per SE

by Anonymousreply 17610/12/2013

[quote]Someone doesn't know the meaning of the term "lefty liberal."

Someone thinks they can will away all observations that don't fit his or her preconceived notions of reality.

How typically dull, and useless you must be at problem solving or even identifying a problem. Go back to hiding your head under that rock.

I appreciate the work you did r160, but you are paying very high prices for a bunch of your items. I live in NYC and can do a lot better on a number of them. I see chicken legs and thighs on sale for .69- .89 cents a pound all the time, for one. In the real world people augment this paltry amount by lots of ways. They have relatives living with them who give them cash. They visit soup kitchens (great, but not a real solution on a policy level), they augment their incomes by dog/cat sitting, or babysitting, they visit a food pantry when they can, and often the kids can eat breakfast and lunch at school. If I were food poor, I would do all these things rather than live on r160's food plan.

Again, these are desperately needed things, but are surely not good government policy, I only mention them because in the real world, this is what people do.

Of course they must or else it wouldn't be so easy to watch people buy non-meal junk food with their meager SNAP allotment.

I certainly know what a "Lefty Liberal" is, yet one does not have to live in a fantasy world where problems don't persist and people are all saints to hold such liberal positions.

by Anonymousreply 17710/13/2013

[quote]That's for GMO, pesticide filled produce.

Oh give it UP, will you! NOBODY has EVER fallen ill because they didn't choose organic produce over conventionally grown produce!

In my home, we WASH fruits and vegetables (those we don't simply peel). It's a carrot, Mary, not a slice of asbestos! You do realize at some point, we're going to have to see some of these Monsanto/GMO deaths piling up to keep that bandwagon going, right? So far? None, but millions of dollars overspent on organic produce because we've been led to believe it is nutritionally superior to conventionally grown produce, when hundreds of studies have proven it IS NOT. Is it better for the soil? I would imagine, which is why I buy it when appropriate, but the food hysteria is eventually going to require some actual science .This collection of studies was published everywhere (including the NY Times) last fall.

by Anonymousreply 17810/13/2013

I could live on $40/ week.

Beans and rice, inexpensive vegetables like cabbage, eggplant, potatoes, and beets, some flour and yeast for bread, some eggs, milk, maybe some cheese.

Difficult, but not impossible imho.

by Anonymousreply 17910/13/2013

No you can't R179. If you insist you can live on $40 a week with what you say, take the challenge at R149 like I did. See R160. Sure, you can get all that, but you will eat tiny amounts and go without a lot of the time.

And really, no one wants to eat beans everyday -- or be around someone who does, so no, your "plan" isn't workable. Stop being lazy and ignorant and take the challenge at R149 as it will open your eyes like it did mine.

by Anonymousreply 18010/13/2013

R177 You accuse others here of being "dull and useless" at "problem-solving" but that is much more fitting to you than anyone else here.

I'm sorry to have to say it, but your post is garbled and unclear and you've misunderstood my "plan" at R160. Not only did I write R160 but also R159 and in that I already mentioned soup kitchens and food banks, as well as that extra cash or stocks of food would be needed in addition to my food list, yet you speak about it as if I didn't.

I don't pay these prices for foods you say you can do better on. Instead, I took the challenge at R149 to plan a weekly menu for an adult and school aged child on $40 a week. Everyone else here, including you, seems too lazy to do this yet are so quick to spout off that oh they could eat just fine if only they do this and that ...

Even if you "see" chicken really cheap in your area - what about the size package needed to get this price? I go into this at R159. You may also have to pay more for other items. Take your own supermarket's flyer where you can do better on the pricing and come up with a weekly menu for 2 people for $40 if you're so right in what you say.

And R177 and R179 the $40 a week is for 2 people, not 1.

by Anonymousreply 18110/13/2013

I stand by my comments.

Contrary to your rant, I am quite industrious, that's why I would forego your time-wasting experiment, because in real life people do not have these "strict rules-or go hungry" sensibility you insist they have. They hustle up some cash, and they find more sources of cheap/free food rendering your little show rather moot. It's a decent guide in a very severe way, but highly unrealistic. Quit acting the victim. THAT was my point.

by Anonymousreply 18210/13/2013

R182 Again and more clearly.

YOU DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING NEW THAN WHAT I DID IN MY POSTS. It is you 'putting on a show' with your babble about being resourceful in earning, getting, extra cash and Food Banks and soup kitchens. AS I SAID, A PERSON ON FOOD STAMPS NEEDS ALL THAT EXTRA STUFF IN ORDER TO SURVIVE ON THE FOOD STAMPS.

We can all see that you're simply too lazy to plan a menu and afraid to discover that, even by working one's ass off to get more money, it's still NOT going to be enough.

Planning meals the best way possible and suggesting resources such as getting extra cash, going to Food Banks and attending soup kitchens is NOT "acting the victim." How is it? I only said what you're saying before you said it, PLUS planning a weekly menu. THAT is truly being "industrious." And yes, in "real life" people DO plan menus on Food Stamps because they have to in order to best provide for their families. There is evidence of this at I believe R96 in which a single mom shares her menus. So stop your ignorant stubborn attitude already. There is no guarantee of earning another $60 a week. Most parents on Food Stamps are working, doing stuff to make as much as they can already. Many people may not be able to "dog sit" or babysit or whatever you say anyway. You even suggest getting extra money from a relative living with them? Now that is totally "unrealistic" and may even be elder abuse! You have to mention to the Food Stamp people who is in your house too and btw, doesn't this relative eat then too? Your thinking is whacked.

by Anonymousreply 18310/13/2013

Stop being so shrill and saying that things are 'impossible' when they're clearly not, r180.

People live on $40 or less for groceries all the time. Difficult? yes. Unpleasant? often. But impossible? Certainly not.

You won't convince people by insisting that something is 'impossible' or 'can't be done' when it so clearly and obviously can.

4 lbs beans= $5 4 lbs rice = $5 5 lb bag flour = $4 Yeast = $2 Rolled oats = $4

Those are very high estimates--and those amounts would actually feed two people for more than a week-- and it still leaves half the budget for things like vegetables and cheese.

It would be entirely possible. Sorry if that hurts, but you're not helping your case with the shrieking and imaginative posturing.

The poor and the needy should certainly be given enough money to eat well until they can get back on their feet, but pretending that something is impossible when it clearly isn't--and shrieking at those who disagree-- will not win people to your side, and in the end, harms both your case and the people you're allegedly having a conniption about.

by Anonymousreply 18410/13/2013

R184 it is impossible to eat a HEATHY well balanced diet on that budget.

Beans, rice and flour cannot be had in large quantities by a diabetic and many on food stamps are diabetic. What is your solution to that one?

by Anonymousreply 18510/13/2013

Thank you, R185! What R184 proposes for a week is ridiculous and yes, not at all healthy -- especially for diabetics (of which I'm one).

I cannot eat rice every day. No one can eat beans three times every day without it upsetting the digestive system. Flour and yeast? Is that supposed to make bread because what about the rest of the ingredients. Also rolled oats -- how will those be eaten? You did not mention milk.

You are dead wrong R184. Look again at my posts at R159 and R160. I go through the process of how much produce costs and your assumption that your unbalanced weekly list of $20 is going to leave room for veggies and cheese isn't accurate, and again, what about milk? And also, is that white flour?

If you are correct, then actually make a proper weekly menu for two people on $40 like I did and like the challenge here was. All you did was create a partial unbalanced ridiculous food list for half the money and add a bunch of assumptions on what the other $20 could go for when no, it couldn't.

Sorry if this "hurts" but we can all see your approach was lazy and incomplete based on wild "could be" psuedo-solutions rather than facts. Do the whole menu and then we'll talk.

by Anonymousreply 18610/13/2013

Everyone except r183 is lazy. Just ask him, and he'll tell you.

by Anonymousreply 18710/13/2013

speaking of diabetes...the chef who did the original food stamp (two month project) did it a second time as a diabetic.

He did everything he could to stay healthy and planned carefully and FAILED, in that he could not sustain both calories and nutrition.

by Anonymousreply 18810/13/2013

R187 Are you too lazy to speak for yourself? I don't need you to speak for me.

by Anonymousreply 18910/13/2013

My first big meal after coming off the project. 3 ounces of ham, 3 flatbread, a small bit of mac and cheese an ENTIRE avocado with two Roma tomatoes and goat Feta. The meal cost over three dollars, 3/4 of what the average food stamp recipient can spend a day.

by Anonymousreply 19010/13/2013

r185 actually beans are beneficial to people with diabetes.

The one thing r184 said that I disagree with is about the cost. 4 lbs of beans will not cost that, they are about $2 a pound. Just priced them myself, sometimes more.

by Anonymousreply 19110/13/2013

Also potatoes are beneficial to people with diabetes.

People have been able to reverse diabetes following the McDougall diet & lose weight, using potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 19210/13/2013

R191, beans often gas extensive gas and bloating and digestive upset if eaten multiple times per day or even if eaten every day.

It would be digestive overload of extensive gas producing food and lots of discomfort.

Yes, beans are healthy, but eating them every day is a problem or even once every day in a row.

Cabbage is also tremendously gas producing.

by Anonymousreply 19310/13/2013

sorry, beans often cause extensive gas

by Anonymousreply 19410/13/2013

Thanks R193

R191 and R192, it's not beans and potatoes for diabetics or anyone per se, but the amount of these as R193 points out.

I'm diabetic and eat potatoes and beans, but in limits.

No one can or should eat beans 3 times a day as R184 is proposing.

Healthy eating is about balance no matter if we want to pretend otherwise. The type of balanced nutrition we all need is simply not possible on $40 a week for 2 people. We can try. We can do the best we can. But, that's still the TRUTH.

by Anonymousreply 19510/13/2013

Don't Mexicans from Mexico eat beans all day? I've seen it. Beans & eggs for breakfast, bean burritos for lunch, refried beans for dinner.

It can be done.

The reason I know is that due to some very high taxes we are doing the same thing. We're not on food stamps, but I have a lot of beans here.

Tonight we'll have a bean burrito with feta cheese, lettuce, tortilla (bought the uncooked ones from costco, they are great tasting) & hot sauce.

Not sure what we're doing tomorrow but probably the day after I'll be making an Indian food dish with garbanzo beans, so I'm going to soak those beans soon. We will also be having homemade falafels in the next few days as well (made from garbanzo beans).

For lunch we have homemade bread & cheese.

Hopefully we will have cut down our food costs greatly this month, and through the end of the year. No birthday celebration this year, no xmas but we'll make it.

by Anonymousreply 19610/13/2013

Forgot to add that yesterday we made 12 boxes of roasted pasta sauce from a flat of tomatoes, bulk garlic, bulk onions, leftover thyme and olive oil we have. The bulk/flat things were from costco.

by Anonymousreply 19710/13/2013

I just had a great dinner of fresh navy beans I peeled from the pod myself. Boiled fresh beets. A salad of tomatoes, cucumbers and onions.

by Anonymousreply 19810/13/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 19910/13/2013

R196 and R197 No, most Mexicans don't usually eat beans 3 times a day because they don't typically eat dinner as we know it -- often just a dairy product or something. They do probably eat beans at least once a day. I know from experience that my digestive system can't handle beans every day and also I'm prone to kidney stones and too many beans can be a problem for that.

Isn't feta cheese expensive?

Also, I don't understand what you mean about making "boxes of roasted pasta sauce." Is that dehydrated?

R198: I am going to cook black beans soon for dinner with some spices then serve them over rice. Yes, delicious, filling, nutritious and on the cheap.

by Anonymousreply 20010/13/2013

I was able to live on the old one of $200 a month for one person.

Trying to work out a food plan from one store flyer is ridiculous since there are plenty of other options for food in a grocery store than what is put on their weekly sales flyer. A weekly sales flyer is a good start to planning, but there are plenty of cheaper options that aren't in that flyer.

by Anonymousreply 20110/13/2013

But it was designed only as an exercise, R201 and not everyone has many stores in their area or a car/gas/transportation to go to them all. Yes, $50 a week for one person is what I basically do now and I'm not on food stamps, but I live on a low income. I still find I do need more to stock up on things from time to time and allow for a healthier variety of foods.

by Anonymousreply 20210/13/2013

r200 no we make our own roasted pasta sauce. We freeze them in plastic boxes in the freezer.

by Anonymousreply 20310/13/2013

Interesting r200 - my Mexican friends here do eat beans 3x per day as I stated - beans & eggs for breakfast, burrito lunch, and refried beans & rice with lettuce, etc for dinner. They like it like that btw.

You can refry beans, especially pintos in water - doesn't have to be oil btw.

by Anonymousreply 20410/13/2013

According to this author, the Mexican diet is one of the healthiest on the planet & beans are in every meal.

by Anonymousreply 20510/13/2013

BTW, Costco accepts food stamps.

This is another article on the Mexican diet & how healthy it is, including the fact that people eating it have less chances for breast cancer.

It truly is food of the poor btw, like Indian food.

by Anonymousreply 20610/13/2013

I agree with R200. My digestive system cannot adjust to eating beans every day. I've tried it numerous times so it is not just a matter of adjustment.

Digestive systems of some people just cannot tolerate beans every day. Every time I've tried it, I've been miserable with extensive rampant gas and bloating.

by Anonymousreply 20710/13/2013

R206, yes, we know it is healthy.

But you cannot constantly smother it with high fat cheese for it to still be healthy.

And you cannot smother it with the wrong kind of unhealthy oil and put high fat in the refried beans for example.

Lots of Mexicans are FAT.

by Anonymousreply 20810/13/2013

The diet of India, another country with extreme poverty has a great diet too. Additionally, turmeric used in Indian cooking is amazing to protect against pancreatic cancer, pancreatitis, and alzheimers.

The typical diet in India comprises of beans in every meal as well.

Shopping in ethnic stores is a must for someone on food stamps. Asian/Mexican/Indian - they all have lower prices.

Depending upon your taste gear yourself towards these cuisines when one has no money. It is both tasty and nutritious. If we stick to the usual standard American diet then we lose.

by Anonymousreply 20910/13/2013

I live on $180/mo. for food now, but I can't go lower.

by Anonymousreply 21010/13/2013

The cheese and dairy is actually good for you though, according to the Weston Price Foundation. No one says they're smothering it in cheese, it doesn't have to be smothered. But cheese is another superfood that is really good for you, along with all dairy foods.

As I stated, you can refry beans in water, you don't have to use oil. Or just a tiny bit of oil. You can buy avocado oil at Costco now for under $10 and use a tiny amt & use oil or just forego the oil.

Also Costco has avos for a very cheap price.

For those who can not tolerate beans, have you tried using beano? I think the nutritional aspects of beans is really important when you don't have a lot of money, actually for everyone, it's important.

by Anonymousreply 21110/13/2013

r210 what is your diet? Also do you have one of the new pressure cookers? They are expensive but try the Fagor one which is like the Fissler, but cheaper.

I can do potatoes in mine & it takes literally 15 mins and minimal water. Again, I make a lot of mash and put it into the freezer in boxes.

by Anonymousreply 21210/13/2013

September 19, 2013

WASHINGTON — House Republicans narrowly pushed through a bill on Thursday that slashes billions of dollars from the food stamp program, over the objections of Democrats and a veto threat from President Obama.

by Anonymousreply 21310/13/2013

[quote]Shopping in ethnic stores is a must for someone on food stamps.

Then I suggest you quickly expand your efforts to have ethnic stores located in every American neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 21410/13/2013

One can also buy Mexican and Indian foods online, also you can buy a huge amount of beans online for an amazing price if you don't have access to a car.

by Anonymousreply 21510/13/2013

Yes, I use Beano, R211.

by Anonymousreply 21610/13/2013

Yes R211 as we've all said -- the ones whose systems can't tolerate beans daily -- we eat beans now, just not every day.

I mentioned cooking black beans and rice for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 21710/13/2013

I am strongly in favor of beans - just not every day and certainly not multiple times per day.

I know how healthy and economical beans are, and I do eat them, just not every day and not multiple times per day because my digestive system cannot take it, even with Beano.

by Anonymousreply 21810/13/2013

I love you R214!

People have to stop applying a suggestion to everyone everywhere because people are different and areas are different.

by Anonymousreply 21910/13/2013

This is one neuroscientists view on healthy eating. She says you must soak your beans & get rid of the soaked water, also get your system used to eating beans. Eating fat with beans actually helps.

by Anonymousreply 22010/13/2013

R220 Most people realize you need to soak beans overnight before cooking them.

Also, the article clearly says:

"Eat Balanced Meals. ... you don't want to overload your gut with one kind of food."

As for the tips about probiotics, no wheat foods and Beano or Gas-X, there is not going to be money for these on a Food Stamp diet.

Off topic -- that t-shirt is horrid!

by Anonymousreply 22110/13/2013

Yeah not sure why she has that tee shirt on her page since she is absolutely gorgeous and the woman wearing it,

Right now I am soaking my black beans. According to her, they should be soaked for 6 hours before using them, anyone know if I can soak them for less time? I'd like to put them into the pressure cooker soon for tonight's meal.

by Anonymousreply 22210/13/2013

People have eaten beans and rice for hundreds of years all over the world. As others have mentioned, it is one of the healthiest diets on the planet.

Only in America would it be considered so dire and indigestible that one could not survive on it, even during a period of temporary government assistance.

YOU are the ones who give us liberals a bad name with your exaggerations, bullshit, and shrieking.

by Anonymousreply 22310/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 22410/13/2013

R223, you are the one making wildly exaggerative statements not based on what has been discussed in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 22510/13/2013

R223, no one has said that the beans are "so dire and indigestible that one could not survive on it, even during a period of temporary govt assistance".

Typical Datalounger making wildly exaggerative statements to try to make a point.

by Anonymousreply 22610/13/2013

r225. Reading is fundamental.

The issues addressed in my post have been discussed elaborately and at length in the last two pages of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 22710/13/2013

[quote]. I know from experience that my digestive system can't handle beans every day and also I'm prone to kidney stones and too many beans can be a problem for that.

And obviously the poster isn't just mentioning this because it's an idiosyncratic digestive issue, he's trying to suggest that this is why beans are an unsuitable option for those on assistance.

Again: nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 22810/13/2013

R227, not discussed in the way you are presenting it at R223 in your wildly exaggerative, inaccurate way.

by Anonymousreply 22910/13/2013

Great, r229. Then we're all in agreement. Beans and rice are a healthy, inexpensive option that can help those on government assistance get by until they're on their feet.

by Anonymousreply 23010/13/2013

And btw In the budget I suggested in my earlier post, I simply pointed out that MORE than a week's worth of beans and rice would be about $8, which still leaves the bulk of the weekly budget for other things.

by Anonymousreply 23110/13/2013

Still, a diet of most beans and especially rice is a terrible diet for diabetics. Yes, a small portion of beans is good for diabetics but for that to be the mainstay... basically the only protein someone is able to afford is not at all healthy. Ask any dietician or nutritionist who councils diabetics.

All this aside, we have to have some compassion. So many here seem to be saying that if you're on food stamps at best you deserve to be kept barely alive. Don't the poor have a right to any pleasure in their lives. What if their situation isn't temporary? What about the poor who are permanently disabled or too elderly to ever work or work again? What about children? Imagine having to live like this for the rest of your life or for your first 18 years.

Yes, I think the poor should even be able to use food stamps for he occasional treat like a birthday cake.

When did we become such a cruel country with so little compassion or ability to put ourselves in someone else's shoes, especially these days when it is so easy to fall into poverty?

I don't get why tax payers, including many Democrats, aren't burning the government down over paying for illegal war after illegal war and bonus after bonus for those who stole America blind and trillions given to oil companies and big farms who are destroying our food supply but just see someone pay for a candy bar or heaven forbid a shrimp with food stamps and suddenly there is outrage.

by Anonymousreply 23210/13/2013

r232 I'm not sure everyone on this thread is arguing for or against food stamps. I think there's a lot of people on this thread wondering how to feed themselves on less money too.

I for one don't care how much people on food stamps have or don't have to a point, but living on low income is something I am interested in and am doing.

by Anonymousreply 23310/13/2013

[quote]terrible diet for diabetics

Keep moving those goal posts!! First you say it's totally impossible to live on $40 of groceries a week and when someone shows that it's perfectly feasible, you come up with some dietary restriction or medical condition that can't have whatever it is they suggest as a possible solution.

Gee, I guess diabetics and people with bean allergies and those whose digestive tracts can't take rice would have to choose another option.

[quote]barely alive

$40 a week is not a 'barely alive' diet. It is a tight budget. There's a difference.

[quote] illegal war after illegal war and bonus after bonus for those who stole America blind and trillions given to oil companies and big farms who are destroying our food supply

A totally different argument from what you've been saying. This I agree with.

[quote] a candy bar or heaven forbid a shrimp

Both terrible choices for someone on a tight food budget. And it's odd you defend the choice of a candy bar, while attacking beans and rice as being an unfeasible and unhealthy choice for people on food stamps. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 23410/13/2013

R228 You're not reading what is in my post at all correctly. How is it "obvious" that I am speaking for all people on assistance when I am only using the "I" pronoun speaking about myself and my kidney stones?

Kidney stones are real and really painful which you'd know if you ever had them or knew anyone who has. They *are* and actual problem for me and my post is not suggesting that others should not eat more beans. But there are other people who may be prone to kidney stones -- FYI they are genetic and how can someone on Food Stamps without good insurance afford a trip to the hospital to get them smashed?

It is a FACT that dried beans contain fairly high levels of oxylate and actual DOCTORS tell kidney stone patients or those susceptible to getting kidney stones to eat only small amounts of beans that is "ALL DRIED BEANS" not very often at all as the article from the Cleveland Urilogical Clinic states.

My real point in all my posts is that one size doesn't fit all with a diet so a bag of flour and a hill of beans isn't going to cut it. Either is all this vague talk about money being left for "other things" because it's not going to be nearly enough for the basic needs of two people. My first healthy produce list for two people was over $20 and after the other $20 spent on all these beans, rice and flour and yeast, there won't be enough for milk, cheese, eggs and well anything besides beans. You people are full of ... beans.

by Anonymousreply 23510/13/2013

R228 So yes write the doctor at the Cleveland Urilogical Clinic to tell him that his advice about beans not being good for people with kidney stones, or susceptible genetically to kidney stones, "nonsense."

I've suffered bouts of kidney stones about 8 times now and it's not fun.

by Anonymousreply 23610/13/2013

Those who are relatively comfortable financially and would consign the poor to a diet of rice and beans are just sick, sadistic fucks.

They don't deserve the attention they're receiving in this thread (nor anywhere else). Ghastly people.

by Anonymousreply 23710/13/2013

R234 You seem incapable of speaking intelligently as you do not base what you say on facts but rather twist everything others say to your liking.

For example, NOT ONE PERSON ON THIS THREAD has said anything about a "bean allergy" or having a "digestive tract that can't take rice."

In fact, rice is known for settling an upset stomach.

Be sure to read the article at R235 from a doctor at the Cleveland Urilogical institute. You are simply wrong. NO ONE IN THIS THREAD has shown at all that it's "perfectly feasible" to live on $40 a week for two people. No one has done that.

Another incorrect statement of yours is when you say that a candy bar is worse than constantly eating beans. No, a candy bar once in a while isn't going to hurt anyone. Even diabetics need one once in a while when their blood sugar is at too low a level or they can go into a diabetic coma. I know and have had to have 6 lifesavers or a candy bar to avoid this a few times in my life. Plus, why shouldn't someone on Food Stamps have a 99 cent candy bar once in a while? Maybe even as a birthday treat.

R232 sounds like a wonderful, kind person who also has brains! Too bad there weren't more of him on DL!

by Anonymousreply 23810/13/2013

R220 All your posts advocate eating a great deal of beans even though the neuroscientist's article you posted at 220 clearly states "not to overload your gut with one food" like that. Are you just going to to pick out some facts of hers and ignore that big one?

Do you usually pick and choose from the facts to suit yourself that way? Can you not see that you're being totally incorrect/hypocritical here?

by Anonymousreply 23910/13/2013

Bravo and Kudos to R237. Very, very well said. It is so easy for those who have whatever they need to say how the poor should live because they feel they are paying. I'll bet they're the same kind of people who give gifts to people what they think the people should have, not what the people like. If they give gifts at all. Selfishness shows in many ways in those that are selfish.

How did any of you who got an allowance as a kid like it if your parents told you exactly how you had to spend it? I'll bet you didn't.

I'll bet, R237, that when you give to friends and family you give with a generous heart.

I'll bet many here would love the Reagan idea of just giving the hungry poor a big block of high fat/sodium government cheese an give school kids ketchup as a vegetable. This was while he and Nancy dined off dinner plates that cost about a couple of thousand a plate, paid for with tax payer dollars.

Do posters here know one of the Congressmen who voted to cut 40 billion from food stamps gets about 3 million a year in government subsidies for his fake farm. He gets to vote to give himself millions. Why aren't we complaining every single day to those in charge about this kind of hypocritical shit?

by Anonymousreply 24010/13/2013

Diabetics should not eat white rice at all.

But Diabetics can eat brown rice, and whole grain mixtures of brown rice with other whole grains that are on the market.

by Anonymousreply 24110/13/2013

I've tried brown rice and real whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta. They made my sugar go up just like their white cousins. I guess some diabetics like me just have to stay away from most grains. Now some fresh fruit is okay for me, apples, oranges, berries and melon, eaten of course in small quantities but even small quantities of grains I have a problem with. I've tried beans. They don't help my blood sugar at all. They just give me cramps, even with Beano.

I can do a small yam but not white potatoes.

Let's face it, if a professional chef with diabetes and lots of friends helping him with a little bit on the side couldn't make it on the full food stamp diet now with the cuts it truly will be impossible. Maybe the young and healthy who could make a lunch out of a bag of chips can survive but any older or sick people will surly end up costing more in health care than they ever got in food stamps.

by Anonymousreply 24210/13/2013

Interesting that you can do a small yam but not white potatoes since I would think yams are sweeter.

by Anonymousreply 24310/14/2013

The chef was not diabetic that did it, he was just testing it.

by Anonymousreply 24410/14/2013

The thing that stands out here to me is, yes there are people with special needs on food stamps. But the overall population that needs help do not have these health issues, so they can eat beans, rice & veggies.

If you have a health issue and are poor you should be working with a physician, or googling online about what to do & what to eat.

One thing I just read was that frozen veggies are actually cheaper than fresh veggies to buy, so that is one avenue.

by Anonymousreply 24510/14/2013

Don't assume that people who "have a health issue and are poor" aren't "working with a physician or googling online about what to do and what to eat."

I know I do all that. I don't think that pound for pound frozen vegetables are cheaper than fresh unless they are on sale. I can buy several pounds of fresh carrots to one half pound or so of frozen carrots. I don't buy frozen French fries as they aren't healthy and cost more than buying fresh potatoes. I do buy some frozen peas on sale. I cut up my own cooked carrots and combine the peas to make my own 'peas and carrots' rather than buying frozen ones.

There is still not enough money on $40 Food Stamps for 2 people a week to get enough vegetables no matter what assumptions are made or what info is found online.

by Anonymousreply 24610/14/2013

R241 diabetics often have a problem with any rice, they are often good with quinoa which is 3 times the price.

Those on food stamps develop type II diabetes in huge numbers precisely because they are following the rice and beans advice.

by Anonymousreply 24710/14/2013

[quote]one size doesn't fit all with a diet

No one suggested it was. But the challenge here was to come up with a specific diet for a tight budget. You do realize that the diet I suggested is quite healthy for the vast majority of people? ANY diet suggested, no matter what it is, will be unsuitable for SOME people. Suggesting that those on assistance be flown into new york for an organic fresh farm to table meal by a personal chef would be unhealthy and unsuitable for SOME people.

Only in America would someone say that people are being cruelly "consigned" to a diet of beans and rice and think of it as a punishment. Again, it is one of the healthiest meals out there, eaten and enjoyed around the world. Certainly people can do it on a temporary basis until they get back on their feet. The idea that beans and rice is an unhealthy diet is retarded. It is far healthier than the average American diet, certainly healthier than the candy bars and cake you're arguing for.

[quote]Either is all this vague talk about money being left for "other things"

Not vague at all. My high estimate of $8 for MORE than a weeks' worth of beans and rice left the BULK of the budget, $32, for OTHER THINGS. That's enough for two dozen eggs, a gallon of milk, cheese, and some vegetables.

My advice: Quit trying to make things sound impossible that clearly aren't. Americans across the board need more education about healthy cooking, budgeting and eating. The idea that beans and rice and fresh bread are unhealthy, that $40 is an impossible--not a tight--food budget, etc are evidence of widespread retardation.

by Anonymousreply 24810/14/2013

Great post R248.

Yesterdays beans and broccoli are in tonight's soup. Some carrot, celery, onion and rice round it out.

I'm not poor... I just eat this way because it's good. I like being healthy. And I hate the taste of canned, frozen and prepared things.

If people ate heathy to begin with, then they mostly likely wouldn't be riddled with diabetes.

Believe me, you can eat on that food stamp budget.

by Anonymousreply 24910/14/2013

R248 and R249 What you simply do not understand:

R248 You keep going on that the diet you propose is healthy and that people need to research nutrition info BUT IT"S A BASIC NUTRITIONAL FACT THAT A VARIED DIET OF HEALTHY FOODS IS BEST. Studies show this -- such as some FISH at least once a week.

You can exist on beans and rice with a few other things, but you're going to be short on other ingredients and as the neuroscientist says in info someone pro eating mostly beans posted: DON'T OVERLOAD YOUR GUT WITH ONE FOOD.

Let's all go find all the posts from nutritionists who advocate variety. And variety in food is especially important for diebetics.

by Anonymousreply 25010/14/2013

Again R248 your diet IS "impossible" for many people including diabetics. And there are many diabetics and a growing number of them.

Besides that, really no one should HAVE to eat exactly the same thing day in and day out and that means people on Food Stamps.

Children, seniors and ill people are on Food Stamps. I'd rather spend the money on them than on the stupid shit the government wastes money on.

by Anonymousreply 25110/14/2013

R251, I agree with most of what you say, but food stamps are not given to just for children, seniors, and the ill.

Food stamps are given to able-bodied adult men and women in their 20's through 60's or older who are poor, have lost their job, have a low income, cannot find work, have mental disability.

by Anonymousreply 25210/14/2013

R252 Again we must always stick with the facts. Only about 17% of the total Food Stamp budget goes to the people you describe.

Please see the Feeding America stats I've included that state:

"76% of SNAP households included a child, elderly person or a disabled person. These vulnerable households received 83% of all SNAP benefits."

by Anonymousreply 25310/14/2013

Okay, but a household with 'a child' would not be given food stamps unless the parent or parents of the child are poor, have lost their job, have a low income, cannot find work, or have a mental or physical disability.

by Anonymousreply 25410/14/2013

And okay, the 24% or 17% who do not have a child or children, are not senior, are not disabled or ill, are instead able-bodied adult men and women in their 20's thru 60's or older who are poor, have lost their job, have a low income, cannot find work, or have a mental disability.

by Anonymousreply 25510/14/2013

Which is why the suggested diet has a wide variety of foods. The diet I suggested would include oats, eggs, bread, beans, rice, cheese, and fresh vegetables. Anyone who thinks that's not a healthy diet is violently retarded.

I've gotten by on $40 or less a week, many people have, many people do everyday around the world.

But of course, according to you, the grocery store is just full of dangerous, unhealthy poisons like beans and rice.

by Anonymousreply 25610/14/2013

R256 You continue to miss all the main points! The $40 a week is for TWO people so all the crap about "many, many people and yourself included "getting by" on $40 a week or less isn't facing the issue in this thread unless you can eat your varied diet on $20 a week which you can't unless you literally starve.

by Anonymousreply 25710/14/2013

$40 is enough for two.

You know nothing about nutrition, nothing about budgeting, nothing about meal planning.

Your shrill defensiveness and wrong-headedness is likely to do the people you're allegedly trying to help more harm than good because you're the type of shrieker who continually yells "IT'S UTTERLY IMPOSSIBLE," when it plainly isn't. People have lived and continue to live on far, far less than $40 a week for groceries around the world for two people or even more.

And it's a retarded debate anyway. Families and even individuals on support receive much more than that.

$40 a week is a challenging budget but far, far from an impossible one as has been said .

by Anonymousreply 25810/15/2013

How to eat fabulously on $40 a week:

by Anonymousreply 25910/15/2013

Q: Is it possible to survive on $30 a week?

A: Contrary to what many people may tell you, I think you can definitely eat well on $30 per week — and you can find a little wiggle room to buy ahead, too.

My husband and I both lived on a $30 per week grocery budget when we were first married. This included all the ingredients to make 21 meals for both of us each week, plus all household products.

by Anonymousreply 26010/15/2013

$40/ a week for groceries?

21 meals:

by Anonymousreply 26110/15/2013

$40 Grocery Budget

by Anonymousreply 26210/15/2013

Gretchen's $40 Grocery Plan

by Anonymousreply 26310/15/2013

How my $40 grocery budget works

by Anonymousreply 26410/15/2013

Feeding my family of five for $40

by Anonymousreply 26510/15/2013

Living on a Budget: Groceries $40 for 4

by Anonymousreply 26610/15/2013

You might think it's impossible, dear, but others, myself included, have not found it so. You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 26710/15/2013

If any of you are familiar with the show on Food Network that's called 10 dollar dinners or something like that, I read a few articles about how phony it is and that what she's preparing would cost at least twice that.

Why don't those of you who think it's so easy to live on a food stamp diet actually try to do it, no cheating, no using what you've already got in the house and no eating or taking money from friends or family. Try it for a month THEN come back and tell us how doable it is.

by Anonymousreply 26810/15/2013

"on a food stamp diet "

Most food stamp diets have a food budget far above $40 a week.

And really a $40 a week food budget is tight but it's not THAT outrageous. My husband and I cook all our own food, and ours is around $60/ a week. That's not even a tight or careful budget for us. Just smart spending. In a pinch, we could easily do (and have done) far less.

I actually think it's the people shrieking and mourning and wailing over this who are the stop-at-Whole Foods, eat-out five times a week types. Most of the people on this thread who have ACTUALLY lived on a tight budget see $40/week, and say "Sure. Of course."

by Anonymousreply 26910/15/2013

This thread certainly undoes the stereotype about most gay men being compassionate.

And 269, you actually sound like the Whole Foods, eats out 5 times a week person, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 27010/15/2013

Well, r270, I'll just point out there's a difference between 'being compassionate' and 'making up wholesale lies about food budgets in order to shrilly dramatize your own alleged compassion in order to display it to others and to call out anyone who might disagree with the particulars as inhumanly unfeeling.'

Some of us can distinguish them. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 27110/15/2013

People all over the world manage very well on small budgets.

I lived 7 years in the Tuscan countryside with a family... the most fabulous eating and the bulk of it was extremely low cost. That's were I truly learned how to eat. Americans just don't get.

Dinners would often be things like polenta with tomato sauce, risotto made with any vegetable in season, pasta with sauces made from vegetables, all kinds of soups made with bread...look up "pappa al pomodoro" o "ribollita". Vegetable soups... bean soups...stewed potatoes.... the list goes on and on.

by Anonymousreply 27210/15/2013

Yes yes yes already, we "compassionate people" DO get you can live off of tomatoes, soup and beans as dinners! We GET Mexican and "Tuscan" eating and hey also Chinese -- which can be very low cost, but that doesn't change the FACT that $40 a week for 2 people isn't going to provide the nutrition and varied foods needed for proper health -- especially for diabetics. By the way R272, tomatoes are too high in sugar for most diabetics to eat daily!

You just say we're being difficult and refusing to eat certain things, but healthy eating DOES mean a wide variety of foods and not overeating any one food -- something "you Americans" can't seem to realize. It especially matters for diabetics who DO count in this discussion!

by Anonymousreply 27310/15/2013

I just did a nutrition analysis and priced out R261's meal plan. It is far too light in vegetables to be healthy and at my local NY grocer it comes to 76.00 not 40.00.

Thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 27410/15/2013

Turns out Simple Wives was bullshit as well. Prices significantly higher in NY.

by Anonymousreply 27510/15/2013

In fact a careful reading of all of them. (we already have that on hand) shows that none in fact are real,viable, healthy plans that are accurately priced.

by Anonymousreply 27610/15/2013

R261 - R267 ( and R269 and R271 ) -- all of your posting doesn't prove anything other than you keep failing to prove anything!!

See, many of us "compassionate" folks also know how to read whole articles not just the titles! I've already pointed out that that neuroscientist article about eating beans advocated eating them in moderation, not in the large quantities the poster who posted the article was recommending. I asked the poster if he/she always picks and chooses from the facts presented as that's what happened there. The neuroscientist clearly said not to "overload your gut" with the same foods.

Your posts are the same nonsense! I clicked on your post at R266 about a family: "Living on a Budget Groceries for $40 a week." If you ACTUALLY READ it, the poster says she TRIED but that week spent almost $50 -- on a BUNCH OF JUNK FOODS WHICH YOU CAN SEE BY HER PHOTOS! -- and "doesn't know" what her other smaller trip to the store cost. All those processed junk foods is going to cost the country in health costs for this ridiculous woman's shopping habits!

Now your post at 265 "Feeding my Family of 5 for $40" is a lot different in that she does menus and the foods are much healthier. The amount spent is a big CHEAT though since some items in her menu are "already haves" AND she relies on free meals just as a church supper and lunch at a relatives. Yet, this is closer and this woman makes menus from healthy foods.

So, this shows, NO you can't live on $40 exclusively, but need other sources as I said way back on this thread -- Food Bank, extra cash, Soup Kitchens -- or in this case church and family for meals.

by Anonymousreply 27710/15/2013

Oh, and I agree about the inaccurate prices at least for most areas. One of the woman's list (sorry don't remember which one) prices 2 dozen eggs at $1.39.

So, no nothing new has been proven here except that planning meals IS a worthwhile way to try and save money and eat more nutritionally. I've been planning my weekly meals for over 20 years whether I've had a high or low income.

by Anonymousreply 27910/15/2013

R278 Those who can't do and can't disprove the truth they don't want to see can only bully. Thanks for proving that to everyone here!

by Anonymousreply 28010/15/2013

I sincerely hope R271 gets hit by a bus.

by Anonymousreply 28110/16/2013

The problem with healthy eating at a reasonable cost is that in "urban" areas most people have to shop at small local stores that price gouge the poor and usually the fresh produce is of poor quality. Gas to drive to Costco is expensive and most don't have large enough freezers to make bulk buying profitable. I don't know about rural areas. As an aside, my guy and I lived on 35dollars a week for food during law school; but, we skipped breakfast and lunch was a slice of pizza for a dollar and change or a papaya hotdog and dinner was usually a casserole. We could do that diet today on 35 a week. My grocery bill today is shameful! where are you guys finding fresh tomatoes at 1.29lb? At my store(not whole foods) I pay at a min 1.99 at the height of summer season and 2.99-3.49 regularly.

by Anonymousreply 28210/16/2013

r282 here, I meant we could not eat on 35 dollars a week today. I doubt if we could both eat on 35 dollars a day currently, unless we were to only eat dinner.

by Anonymousreply 28310/16/2013

Thanks for your input R282 / R283. I agree with your point about the differences in food costs from years ago to now. Also, when we're younger we can get away with more pizza and hotdogs than is healthy for us as we age. :) In the summer my stores often will have tomatoes at a low of about $1.59 a pound, but yes they're over $2 a pound in winter where I am. Since I'm a diabetic, I don't eat a lot of tomatoes anyway. My 'go to' cheap fresh vegetable is carrots, and I still have to limit them, but they're always under $1 a pound where I live and great raw or cooked.

by Anonymousreply 28410/16/2013

Do you have an Ideal Supermarket around anywhere? Last week they had very good plum tomatoes for 88 cents a pound and this week regular tomatoes for 99 cents. This week they have ox tails, which I adore so much and know how to cook to tender perfection for $3.99 a pound, believe it or not a good price. Unfortunately you have to buy a minimum 5 lb package. No way can I afford to spend $20.00 or more on meat, nor would I especially since they really aren’t healthy. But if I could have gotten a small package with maybe 2 or 3 tails in there for a pound or less in weight I think I would have splurged. I haven’t had them in years. Then again I would have had to buy carrots (I still have celery and a couple of onions left) I’d have to buy garlic, tomato paste and a can of tomatoes and even some beef broth or stock to really do my recipe and make them come out great in a pressure cooker. Oh well…like I said, they’re not healthy anyway. Maybe in my next life, lol.

Also for anyone who has access to Brooklyn NY there is a fruit store called Circus Fruits on 60th St. and Fort Hamilton Parkway that has decent prices even on some cheese along with the produce. I thought a nearby store called 3 Guys was the cheapest with the best selection but Circus is better. A few weeks ago I got 3 heads of celery for 1 dollar and onions for 39 cents a pound and black grapes for 99 cents a pound.

Even these prices, on Food Stamps, are too high though. I know that. The evil Republicans aside, Obama and the 28 Senate Democrats who voted to cut Food Stamps last June (the cut that begins next month) lie that food prices have not gone up since 2009 so that is why they can make those cuts. They are the ones I would love to see living on FS for at least a year! Let’s see how healthy Michelle can feed her girls then, no fancy organic everything and nothing from the garden as the great majority of those on Food Stamps do not have or have access to gardens, even community ones. Hell, I can’t even grow a lousy herb plant in my apartment because little sunlight, nevertheless have a garden.

BTW, it costs me 5 dollars for Access-A-Ride to get to either place so that is 5 dollars that has to come from somewhere else, so I don’t go to often. I go only when I’m really down to next to nothing to eat and only when they have enough on sale (they all have online circulars) that it will make up for the 5 dollars I have to spend to get there.

I don’t have a big appetite, never did. I’ve always been a little on the skinny (typical 98 lb weakling as a teen) but even with my appetite I go hungry every month. I can only imagine how hard it is for those with a really good appetite or for teen boys who are always hungry. I can’t imagine how moms and dads on Food Stamps manage. It has to be so hard to see your child hungry and know there is just no more food coming in that month. A school lunch would not be enough to keep most teens, especially boys, from going hungry and not being able to concentrate in school.

by Anonymousreply 28510/16/2013

Good post R285 and good point about teen boys and those with big appetites. Highly physically active people like many teens need more food too.

by Anonymousreply 28610/16/2013

Very true R286. 58% of people on Food Stamps work full time. Many of them I'll bet have very physical jobs. Imagine how hungry they must get and what a strain is on their bodies doing such physical jobs with little to nourish themselves.

I sometimes think of that Walmart worker who was so hungry she stole food in plain sight and ate it in the lunchroom. She had to know she was going to get in trouble. I guess the nausea and headache and weakness one gets when really hungry overcame her. Maybe she had low blood sugar as well and just wasn't thinking straight.

by Anonymousreply 28710/16/2013

Cory Booker can live on food stamps.

by Anonymousreply 28810/19/2013

NO, Cory Booker can't live on Food Stamps, R288. The title of this thread is "How Many Here Can Live On The New Food Stamp Diet."

The "New Food Stamp Diet" refers to the amount of $40 a week for 2 people, while your Cory Booker post is for 1 person eating for $30.80 a week which would be $61.60 on the proposed cuts we're discussing -- half as much money again needed. And Cory's lunch of two sardines on a bed of lettuce for example has zero starch and wouldn't be filling enough for even a child -- okay maybe for a mayor sitting on his/her ass all day, but not a Walmart worker either.

by Anonymousreply 28910/20/2013

Official letters went out this week letting food stamp recipients know there is going to be a cut, a painful cut, in their food stamps. They are being advised that since this cut is from the Federal government they cannot appeal.

The only way to reverse this is if people call their representatives in the Senate and Congress and advocate on behalf of the hungry who just got a lot hungrier, at least if your representatives are Democrats, especially the 28 Democrats who voted for the cuts.

At the link is the list of those 28 Democrats who have no more concern for the hungry in this country than their Republican counterparts.

On page one there are links for how to find your representatives.

by Anonymousreply 29010/22/2013

Figures that old bat Dianne Feinstein voted for this, oh and Al Franken. That old closeted dyke in a safe seat Barbara Mikulski, Harkin - is that Thom Harkin?, & that fucked up POS Mary Landrieu.

[quote]Dear Sens. Baucus, Bennet, Cardin, Carper, Coons, Donnelly, Durbin, Feinstein, Franken, Hagan, Harkin, Heinrich, Heitkamp, Johnson, Kaine, Klobuchar, Landrieu, Manchin, McCaskill, Mikulski, Nelson, Pryor, Rockefeller, Shaheen, Stabenow, Tester, Mark Udall and Warner:

by Anonymousreply 29110/22/2013

r290 another interesting thing on your Daily Kos link is that no one else posted. I think Daily Kos is dead these days, no? I know this is o/t but it was once a powerhouse, now it seems to be limping along.

by Anonymousreply 29210/22/2013

When that article first appeared back last summer I'm pretty sure I remember comments. In fact I think I was one of those who commented. Maybe because it's an older article it runs without the comments??? I really don't know. I'm just guessing.

Here's an article from today on minimum wage that has a decent amount of comments. I don't think they get thousands of comments like HuffPo but then again HuffPo has a lot of right wingers posting there too and Kos doesn't. Kos seems pure Liberal and will talk about things other so called Progressive/Liberal sites won't.

by Anonymousreply 29310/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!