by Anonymousreply 5809/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 109/15/2013

I love the 10s

by Anonymousreply 209/15/2013

Rock music?

Classical?

Pop?

Soul?

Your poll question is too broad and open to too much interpretation, which will produce results that are just stupid.

[quote] My pick is the 70s.

For what? Rock? Elton John in his only good era, Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Heart, and lots of others who put out their best music in this decade....

But maybe you're talking about pop music? The 1970s represents the most embarrassing decade of all time for pop music. Seasons in the Sun, anyone? Shannon? The Night Chicago Died? It was a decade full of one hit wonders that thankfully were never heard from again.

by Anonymousreply 309/15/2013

Of these choices, the '60s, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 409/15/2013

Why do you feel a desperate need to rate one higher than the other, OP?

by Anonymousreply 509/15/2013

OP doesn't seem desperate. Perhaps he just wanted to open a music conversation.

by Anonymousreply 609/15/2013

[quote]The 1970s represents the most embarrassing decade of all time for pop music. Seasons in the Sun, anyone? Shannon? The Night Chicago Died?

They told stories. Embarrassing, your ass. They are still played and listed to today. You think anyone is going to listen to Miley Cyrus or Rhianna forty years from now?

by Anonymousreply 709/15/2013

Well, r3 you've picked three mildly annoying songs out of a decade of brilliant and varied popular music. Would you rate the 00's higher? What about My Humps, Party in the USA, or Who Let the Dogs Out.

by Anonymousreply 809/15/2013

R7 = Terry Jacks

by Anonymousreply 909/15/2013

OP, you only go back to the 1950's? So happens that the 1940's, the swing era, had the best music.

by Anonymousreply 1009/15/2013

R7, you are tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 1109/15/2013

The mold was broken after 1977. Even pop music of that decade was better than most good music these days.

by Anonymousreply 1209/15/2013

Name any band from the past 3 decades and I will tell you an artist from the 70s that influenced them.

by Anonymousreply 1309/15/2013

r3, I'd say the '70s precisely because you could listen to 1 radio station and hear a rock song followed by a pop song followed by a country song followed by an R&B song followed by a folk song, etc., etc. Everybody listened and responded to everything back then, before MTV fractured it all and popular music began splintering into niches.

by Anonymousreply 1409/15/2013

70s had Bowie at his best and Roxy Music slithering across the dance floor. I don't see RiRi, Bey, Kanye or Monster Tongue Miley being as influential, or still filling stadiums, in 40 years time.

by Anonymousreply 1509/15/2013

[quote]70s had Bowie at his best and Roxy Music slithering across the dance floor. I don't see RiRi, Bey, Kanye or Monster Tongue Miley being as influential, or still filling stadiums, in 40 years time.

I love Bowie and Roxy Music, but neither are "filling stadiums" today.

by Anonymousreply 1609/15/2013

I think the Swing Era of the late thirties and forties was pretty cool.

I predates me by 20 years but spending some time on YouTube has introduced me to some pretty cool tunes.

For DLers new to Swing, get started with Bennie Goodman. Recommend "Sing Sing Sing" as a good one to know initially.

by Anonymousreply 1709/15/2013

R16 I saw Roxy Music sell out SECC in 2001, then again at the same venue in 2011. Tickets were like gold dust. I saw Bowie in Birmingham and Hamburg during the same sold-out tour in 2003, I think it was his final tour, it was the one when he ended up hospitalised. They can both still fill a stadium any day of the week, I've seen it happen.

by Anonymousreply 1809/15/2013

Love Land Rock the Boat Signed Sealed Delivered

Summer nights Santa Monica Blvd 1970;s, sweaty musky hot bodies.... and then the police came.

by Anonymousreply 1909/15/2013

[quote] R7 you are tiresome.

Good now go to bed and shadddup.

by Anonymousreply 2009/15/2013

60's into early 70's. It was not only the best but the most important with political lyrics that inspired a generation.

by Anonymousreply 2109/15/2013

[quote][R16] I saw Roxy Music sell out SECC in 2001, then again at the same venue in 2011. Tickets were like gold dust. I saw Bowie in Birmingham and Hamburg during the same sold-out tour in 2003, I think it was his final tour, it was the one when he ended up hospitalised. They can both still fill a stadium any day of the week, I've seen it happen.

Roxy Music plays music that is 30 years old.

Bowie hasn't toured in a decade, and probably will never mount a major tour again.

Also, this stupid cunt doesn't understand what "stadium" means.

by Anonymousreply 2209/16/2013

I think music was great from the 20s up until the early 90s...after that it became increasingly corporate and agenda driven and song craft and vocal talent became much less a consideration.

Not to say there haven't been some good songs in the last 20 years but generally we have seen a devolution in terms of melody and lyric quality.

by Anonymousreply 2309/16/2013

Every decade has its classics, but most of my favorite all-time artists put their best work out in the 1970s. Steely Dan, Thin Lizzy, Joni Mitchell, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot, Alice Cooper, Todd Rundgren, ELO, Heart, Carole King, Laura Nyro, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Rush, Roxy Music, Jackson Browne, Boz Scaggs, Donna Summer...whew! I love the classic rock from that time, but also disco, glam, soul & punk too. Just an incredibly fertile time for music of all genres. They say the drugs were better then - I'm sure that had something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 2409/16/2013

I have to agree with poster 21. There was a lot of innovation and recording techniques invented around that time, besides the political stuff. I still have a lot of vinyl from that era and have hooked up my turntable to my Kicker speaker system and the music sounds a lot warmer than the present digital format. That's just my personal opinion.

by Anonymousreply 2509/16/2013

Forget the commercial overlay of crap and 1981-1991 gives you New Wave, House, Goth, Hip Hop, Techno, and Grunge. Start with Ultravox and Cameo, end with Nirvana and Soul II Soul. MTV's awesome early years, Summer of Love 88-89, Prince at his peak, New Jack Swing, even Hair Metal was kind of fun.

by Anonymousreply 2609/16/2013

R22 You're being an intentionally stupid cunt if you don't know that Bowie could still sell out any stadium you care to mention. He announced he's retired from touring, that doesn't mean his fanbase wouldn't pay big bucks to see him. I think quibbling about if R18 means stadium or arena is extremely cuntish. The last tour was sold out in every venue in every country.

As for Roxy playing old music - so what? They still tour and still sell out every venue, and that was the point that was being made.

You're just being very fucking dim.

by Anonymousreply 2709/16/2013

66-76

best decade for music

by Anonymousreply 2809/16/2013

The finest popular music was written from the mid 1920s through the 1950s.

The Gershwins, Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, Rogers and Hart, Harold Arlen, Irving Berlin, Harry Warren....among others.

by Anonymousreply 2909/16/2013

On the other hand, there are many adult contemporary radio stations that have "80s weekends" on their schedule.

by Anonymousreply 3009/16/2013

the 1930's

by Anonymousreply 3109/16/2013

[quote][R22] You're being an intentionally stupid cunt if you don't know that Bowie could still sell out any stadium you care to mention. He announced he's retired from touring, that doesn't mean his fanbase wouldn't pay big bucks to see him. I think quibbling about if [R18] means stadium or arena is extremely cuntish. The last tour was sold out in every venue in every country.

There's a huge difference between an arena (10,000-20,000 capacity) and a stadium (40,000+ capacity).

David Bowie could not sell out stadiums in the U.S. Very few acts can do that.

by Anonymousreply 3209/16/2013

I picked the '60's but the decade I would choose would be closer to 1965 to 1975. That would include:

Harvest Magical Mystery Tour Court & Spark They Only Come Out at Night Sweet Baby James CSN&Y Low Spark of High Heeled Boys Aphrodities Child 666 Tasty Good Rats Toulouse Street

by Anonymousreply 3309/16/2013

[quote] Harvest Magical Mystery Tour Court & Spark They Only Come Out at Night Sweet Baby James CSN&Y Low Spark of High Heeled Boys Aphrodities Child 666 Tasty Good Rats Toulouse Street

All nice, but kid stuff compared to:

"Night and Day", "I've Got You Under My Skin", "My Funny Valentine", ""Sophisticated Lady"" "It Never Entered My Mind", "My Romance", "I Didn't Know What Time It Was", "Isn't It Romantic?", "Where or When", "Some Enchanted Evening", "In the Still of the Night", "Laura", "The Way You Look Tonight", "Summertime", "The Man I Love", "I'll Be Seeing You", "Stardust", "Let's Face the Music and Dance", "Stormy Weather", "One for My Baby", "Come Rain or Come Shine", "Time After Time"….

"Sweet Baby James"? Really?

by Anonymousreply 3409/16/2013

80s, no doubt. The absolute best decade in music, ever.

by Anonymousreply 3509/16/2013

The 1960's gave us The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Motown, The Beach Boys, The British Invasion, Stax, Simon & Garfunkel, The Drifters, Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, Donovan, The Summer of Love, The Association, The Rascals, Johnny Rivers, The Monkees, Janis Joplin, Otis Redding, Jimi Hendrix, The Impressions, James Brown, The Doors, Stevie Wonder, The Jefferson Airplane, The Animals, Marvin Gaye, Petula Clark, Tommy James and the Shondells, Mitch Ryder, Lesley Gore, Bobby Vinton, Jackie de Shannon, The Ventures, Jan & Dean, The Supremes, Phil Spector, The Shirelles, Solomon Burke, Wilson Pickett, Joan Baez, Roger Miller, Tom Jones, Darlene Love. . .

by Anonymousreply 3609/16/2013

R32 how very parochial of you. The rest of the world listens to music too, and they somehow manage to sell tickets to acts without your seal of approval.

Bowie is one of the most influential musicians ever and although you may not be a fan the many millions who are would snap your hand off for a chance to see him play love again. Get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3709/16/2013

the 1930's - the best bands, the best dances.

by Anonymousreply 3809/16/2013

The 90s. The most raw, emotive and intelligent decade for music.

by Anonymousreply 3909/16/2013

[quote][R32] how very parochial of you. The rest of the world listens to music too, and they somehow manage to sell tickets to acts without your seal of approval.

[quote]Bowie is one of the most influential musicians ever and although you may not be a fan the many millions who are would snap your hand off for a chance to see him play love again. Get over yourself.

I adore both Bowie and Roxy Music. They're just not stadium acts in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 4009/16/2013

The answer will always be when you were between 17-21.

Which is why we have so many advocates for the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 4109/16/2013

The 90's

loved anything by Lillie Langtry or Jennie Lind, The Swedish Nightingale.

by Anonymousreply 4209/16/2013

The 70's saw 5 of Sondheim's greatest masterpieces.

Follies alone trumps any other decade and closes this thread!

by Anonymousreply 4309/16/2013

British Invasion of the 80s... some of the most catchy, fun, and innovatively different music to even hit the pop scene.

Alternative 80s is still the best music genre ever... just listen to "First Wave" on XM/Sirius, and realize how great that stuff is, song after song.

by Anonymousreply 4409/16/2013

No surprise that the '60s, '70s and '80s have 87% of the vote. During those decades, there were great songs coming out every week. Now, it's maybe twice a year.

by Anonymousreply 4509/16/2013

1940s I love big bands, swing, and great vocalists.

by Anonymousreply 4609/16/2013

Stuff like this. Beats any of today's shit.

by Anonymousreply 4709/16/2013

I love popular music from the 60s to the late 90s. Amazing! Mainstream music started dying a slow, painful death beginning in the early naughties.

by Anonymousreply 4809/16/2013

Totally R50. When you look at a group like the Monkees from the 60s, it's kind of funny to me that they were considered manufactured and terrible for that time period 'cause the manufactured stars of the last 15 years make the Monkees look like fucking Beethoven. Mainstream music has fallen so far.

by Anonymousreply 4909/16/2013

Two words: Sixties, Motown.

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 5009/16/2013

Judging by that poll, a lot of disco queens here.

by Anonymousreply 5109/22/2013

Any decade pre-Madonna. She was "the beast" for pop culture, a grim reckoning, programmed for the materialistic Reagan era.

by Anonymousreply 5209/22/2013

From 1980-1996 was a great time in music in terms of new "fringe" styles like hip hop, electronica, new wave and ska hitting the mainstream. Everything since then has, in my opinion, been subpar echoes of that time.

by Anonymousreply 5309/22/2013

In order - best to worst:

1. The '90s by far.

2. The 00's

3. Who cares? It was all too long ago for anyone to care. The '70s and '80s were an embarrassment. I look at my mom and dad's old music and throw up. It seems like no one had talent until 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5409/22/2013

I prefer the 1930's, 1940s and the 2010's - the pre and post rock eras. Rock and Roll was straight, homophobic and racist music that tore this nation apart. No I am not an L-Der Ghey. I am 24.

Rock music is dead and good riddance. It was a whites only club and an embarrassment to music. No talent involved to make that simplistic shit. Erase all the songs of the 1950s-2000's and pretend it never happened, it was all a terrible dreamjavascript:submitPost();.

by Anonymousreply 5509/22/2013

R57's post is so tragic, it's hard to know where to start. But he is very young so I'll let it slide.

by Anonymousreply 5609/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.